http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 11:43:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 126143 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: December 13, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »

Quote from: mirage775 on December 13, 2011, 07:15:05 PM

Hey BJ, what server are y'all playing on?  I played beta and enjoyed playing a smuggler.  My brother and I and a few others are playing Republic.  I'm still at work, but hope I get my code by the time I get home...?

Dreshdae Cantina

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 13, 2011, 02:03:07 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 13, 2011, 02:01:08 PM

I received my email as well.  Wont be able to log in for awhile.  My basement flooded and I have to deal with plumbers and insurance most of the day  icon_cry

Sounds like an Imperial plot.  icon_eek Sorry -- I hope there was no serious damage to valuables and family memories etc.
   Thanks for that Blackjack.

Well no damage to anything irreplaceable, so thats good.   About $5000 of damage to my basement and foundation as apparently my inner sewer line and trap collapsed.  Insurance will cover everything over $2000.  Not the best of days.

Imma gunna go kill sumthing now!  Look out Republic and angry Agent is about to enter the world!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: December 13, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »

Pre-ordered July 27, Just got the e-mail to start playing.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: December 13, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »

Final wave of invites for today went out around an hour ago.   thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:06 PM »

Got mine, I am in.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: December 13, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »

I wonder which is b0rking EA's servers more today:  this or Back to Karkand  icon_lol

heck, I couldn't even log into the Origin app earlier-  kept on telling me either the service wasn't available or my email/Origin ID/password was wrong.  I could log into the website and other EA stuff just fine though.

oh, and headstarters:  start cracking on finding any bugs that made it through so they can be fixed sooner than later.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: December 13, 2011, 11:11:18 PM »

I thought everyone who preordered this would get in today?  My brother and I didn't get the damn email!  I know they are sending more out tomorrow, but why even offer early access if everyone doesn't get in a week early?

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:21 PM »

Quote from: mirage775 on December 13, 2011, 11:11:18 PM

I thought everyone who preordered this would get in today?  My brother and I didn't get the damn email!  I know they are sending more out tomorrow, but why even offer early access if everyone doesn't get in a week early?

You get in based on when you entered your preorder code.  If you did it like me in November then you probably won't be getting in for a couple more days.  From various forum posts it sounds like they got most of the July people in today.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: December 13, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »

Bioware has always been very up front about the early access.  They stated that access would be allowed in the order that the pre orders were taken.  They also stated that pre orders MAY get up to 5 days of access and have in fact moved it up 2 days giving up to 7 days.  I wouldnt be surprised if everyone who pre ordered gets access by Thursday, giving all pre orders a 5 day early access.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: December 13, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »

Quote from: mirage775 on December 13, 2011, 11:11:18 PM

I thought everyone who preordered this would get in today?  My brother and I didn't get the damn email!  I know they are sending more out tomorrow, but why even offer early access if everyone doesn't get in a week early?
I found this funny, I think, typo in the pre order/early access FAQ:
The order in which you will gain entry into Early Game Access is dependent on how early you burned your Pre-Order Code at our Code Redemption Center. The earlier you burned your Pre-Order Code, the earlier you will be granted entry into Early Game Access.

The length of your Early Game Access time will also depend on how quickly you are able to download and install the Game before the official launch of the Game.
Man, I never thought to BURN my pre-order code! Apparently we have to make a sacrifice to the Bioware Gods!  icon_razz

As to why you're pre-ordering, it's not so much early access as guaranteeing you have a copy of the game at all at launch, because they plan to limit sales initially to ensure they don't outreach their server capacity. Now given that I never see retail copies of any PC game move at retail unless they have Blizzard on the box, chances are you'll be able to find box copies of the game at stores no problem.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:39:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: December 14, 2011, 06:37:26 AM »

I got to L10. Stayed up about 2 hours later than I intended. Smuggler's still fun on my third run-through, although I find myself making more Dark Side choices now.  icon_twisted

Playing
PC
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: December 14, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 14, 2011, 06:37:26 AM

I got to L10. Stayed up about 2 hours later than I intended. Smuggler's still fun on my third run-through, although I find myself making more Dark Side choices now.  icon_twisted

My goal was lvl 10 and I hit 11 due to the Flashpoint that I avoided during beta.  Got my Artifice, treasure hunting and archaelogy up between 16-21 and called it a night.  Played almost an hour more than I wanted which is a bad sign...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: December 14, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »

Question, what opens up the higher tiers of the talent tree?  I originally assumed that they'd open up just based on level, but I hit level 15 and the second tier is still greyed out.  Do I need to put 5 points in a specific tree in order to unlock the next tier?  In other words, do I need to put 5 points into my Defense tree in order to unlock the second tier in the Defense tree, or is something else going on?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: December 14, 2011, 01:26:26 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 14, 2011, 12:53:05 PM

Question, what opens up the higher tiers of the talent tree?  I originally assumed that they'd open up just based on level, but I hit level 15 and the second tier is still greyed out.  Do I need to put 5 points in a specific tree in order to unlock the next tier?  In other words, do I need to put 5 points into my Defense tree in order to unlock the second tier in the Defense tree, or is something else going on?
Your first guess (italicized) is correct (it could be 4 points, but I think it's 5 like you said). You'll definitely know when you've put enough points in because the row of skills above it will "un dim" and become available to distribute points to.

So you need to put a few points into each tier (i.e., a horizontal row of listed skills) within, say, Smuggler Sharpshooter skills, before the tier above it (i.e., the 2nd row of available Sharpshooter skills, from the bottom of the advanced class skills window) unlocks and becomes available for points distribution. I felt it needed to be more "in your face" explained, either through a tool tip, or simply putting the sentence "you must put X points into a tier of skills before the one above it becomes available." I didn't think it was intuitive enough, in testing.

I thought I had a screenshot of the tree with one of the next horizontal tiers unlocked, but apparently I didn't.

Anyway, it's definitely not level based (aside from the fact that when you level up, you get a point to distribute to the advanced class skills). It's based on putting a few points in one tier (row) of skills, and then unlocking the one above.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:31:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: December 14, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

Thanks Blackjack.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: December 14, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »

Here's a few peeks at the guild stuff. I might put our fledgling guild server (Dreshdae Cantina) in my forum profile here for reference, lord knows there's a heckuva lot of server names -- even I can't remember the name.  icon_smile

This is the auto-invite (Believe it only applies to your first character on the server, if you were a member of the guild set up for early access). I think it's probably only going to apply for the guilds that were set up for early access, though I'm not positive.

Default View, doesn't take up too much space, it's mostly on the left side if you use a widescreen monitor. The MOTD and Description tend to get cut off in this view.

Expanded view. When you right click a guild member, you get a few options in a menu, including adding a "note." So for The Grue's character, I just added a note that he's The Grue here at GT, so I'd remember. I could also see it being useful later on for noting "so and so is a great tank," and "so and so is a healer" etc.

There's a handy optional "social indicator" menu in the upper left corner (above the chat window) that keeps you informed on the number of guild members and friends list folks online, new in-game e-mail etc. Clicking on the number in the menu will pop up the appropriate menu (except for e-mail where you need to be at the e-mail kiosk -- what, no smartphones?  icon_razz)

The guildy nametag in-game. Hopefully Bioware will deliver on the various guild features talked about. There isn't a whole lot right now, though I enjoy having a guild chat. You can set members to various titles. I think I'm stuck as "guild founder," but you can set folks to "guildmaster", "officer" etc.

I hope we can get some more folks in over time, although I totally understand plenty will wanna be Empire and plenty would prefer a PVP server or west coast U.S. server.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:01:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: December 14, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »

I started the early play yesterday.....if it is okay I will start a character on this server tonight and join the guild.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: December 14, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on December 14, 2011, 01:55:48 PM

I started the early play yesterday.....if it is okay I will start a character on this server tonight and join the guild.
Sure, I'll check later if there's some way I or Grue could invite folks who "exist" (i.e., have started a character) but who aren't online at the same time as us. Maybe that's how the auto-join works too?

btw, I tracked down the Best Buy Early Access Dev Chat Link at the Best Buy forums:
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Gadgets/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Developer-Live-Chat-Transcript/m-p/406744#M14937
*It's hellish to read through. Here's a few quick highlights:
Gaming-BBY: >>Gabe: Our Flashpoints have two difficulty modes (Normal & Hard) and our Operations have three difficulty modes (Normal, Hard, and Nightmare). We aim to offer a wide variety of difficulty levels to accommodate the casual and hardcore players.
===============================
Guest-14: Any idea when the Sith Juggernaut/Jedi Gaurdian will be revamped (Georg promised they were up next for "additional attention")?

Gaming-BBY: >>James: We’re looking at them right now and the changes will be coming in soon after launch.

===============================
Gaming-BBY: >>James: We’re going to have a regularly cadence with our content updates, but we’re not going into specifics. Updates will include Flashpoints, Operations, Warzones, Solo Content, Additions to existing systems and brand new systems.

==========================
Gaming-BBY: >>James: We’re definitely looking at allowing dual specing within the same advanced class soon after ship.

==================================
speedracer1half: What day and time during the week does the servers reset the content?

Gaming-BBY: >>Gabe: We’ll be resetting Operations on Tuesday mornings.

=====================================
Guest-144: Are we getting a target of target ui portrait any time soon?....Being a tank the target of target function is really quite useful..

Gaming-BBY: >>Gabe: We’re going to add target-of-target at a later point in time.

======================================
Guest-1651: Will space combat be improved upon in a future expansion back so that it is 3D and not just a rail shooter, and eventually PvP in space?

Gaming-BBY: >>James: We will continue to add new space missions with our regular content updates. In addition, we have a “secret project” on expanding the space experience. [2nd time they've reference this recently -- I hope they aren't making promises they can't keep!-bj  icon_smile]

==========================================
Guest-1174: Do you guys plan on releasing new species/classes in the future?

Gaming-BBY: >>James: Yes, we will be looking at adding new species in the foreseeable future.

=================================
Guest-477: What drove me away from all other MMOs was the constantly doing the same raid over and over with no options to switch things up. In SWtoR are there going to be multiple raids per tier or can we expect to be face-rolling them one at a time with months in between each new one releasing?

Gaming-BBY: >>Gabe: We currently have two different Operations in the same tier (Eternity Vault & Karagga’s Palace) and we will be expanding on this tier as well as releasing other tiers.

==================================
Guest-346: In regards to PvP, are you guys planning on bracketing off level 50's in warzones once there is a high population of them?

Gaming-BBY: >>Gabe: Yes, stay tuned for a Developer’s Blog with more on this and other PvP features coming soon.

Playing
PC
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: December 14, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 14, 2011, 10:16:17 AM

My goal was lvl 10 and I hit 11 due to the Flashpoint that I avoided during beta.  Got my Artifice, treasure hunting and archaelogy up between 16-21 and called it a night.  Played almost an hour more than I wanted which is a bad sign...

I hit 11 last night just doing the quests on Ord Mantella and on the Republic Fleet.  I want to do the Flashpoint, so I logged out there and hopefully will get a group tomorrow.

Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: December 14, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 14, 2011, 01:26:26 PM

...You'll definitely know when you've put enough points in because the row of skills above it will "un dim" and become available to distribute points to. ...

Pretty sure if you mouse over a second tier, or higher, row it will tell you what you need for points

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: December 14, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »

Dug thru my email and found that Bioware did send me a pre-load email a week ago. You can't pre-load the game thru Origin. Bioware sends you the link.

Now, I came across another hiccup. SWTOR client install is telling me game won't install in my Windows XP service pack 2 OS.. even though SWTOR.com lists WindowsXP as one of the game install requirements. Guess I need to update WindowsXP to service pack 3? Will do that later tonight.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: December 14, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »

Already thinking about respeccing my Jedi Shadow out of Kinetic combat.  I want to tank but don't think I will excel at it.  Looking at the various guides about tanking and healing can be mind-buggling.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 14, 2011, 02:28:18 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 14, 2011, 10:16:17 AM

I hit 11 last night just doing the quests on Ord Mantella and on the Republic Fleet.  I want to do the Flashpoint, so I logged out there and hopefully will get a group tomorrow.
I'll join you with my smuggler if you can wait up. I probably won't be on until about 8:30 p.m. EST or so though.

Elmo, I will try to test your theory once I get to Advanced Classes again. I could've missed that. icon_smile

Playing
PC
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: December 14, 2011, 05:20:26 PM »

Well, my brother and I got our codes this morning, but I'm at work till about 6pm tonight.... He's home playing, but on a different server than you Blackjack...

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: December 14, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »

Quote from: mirage775 on December 14, 2011, 05:20:26 PM

Well, my brother and I got our codes this morning, but I'm at work till about 6pm tonight.... He's home playing, but on a different server than you Blackjack...
That's cool.  icon_smile It's a big game. We can create characters on every server if we want to. Don't worry about it.  icon_smile

If you guys wanna toss a couple on the GT Heroes' server at some point, we'll rope those in and you can play there when the urge strikes.  icon_smile I'm at least initially gonna stick with this server and not hopscotch around until later after launch. Hopefully, at least initially, Grue and I will login often enough to invite anyone who's interested. And for better or worse, if you run into Blackjack on this server, you know it's me!  icon_razz

I will look into whether there's some way I can invite folks into the guild when they're offline.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:44:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: December 14, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »

made a trooper on the server......Jaddison is my oh so original name
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2306 on: December 14, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »

Thank goodness I have Skyrim, or I'd be sucked into this like crazy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: December 14, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 14, 2011, 06:17:47 PM

That didn't help me.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: December 14, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 14, 2011, 07:31:36 PM

That didn't help me.

Yeah, it didn't helped here either.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: December 14, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »

I keep fighting the urge.  I have Skyrim, and then I have Zelda, AssCreedRev, Arkham City and others sitting around too.  I think I'll wait for the first sale to roll around before jumping in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: December 14, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »

I only played a couple of levels of republic characters during the thanksgiving weekend beta, so I didn't really get a feel for the republic starter areas.  I did play quite a bit of empire though, eventually leaving both the Agent/Bounty Hunter and Sith starter zones.  I enjoyed playing my new smuggler (now gunslinger) yesterday, but I did find Ord Mantell kind of boring.  Maybe I just wasn't clicking with the stories.  The gameplay was fun though.  I logged off right after I chose my advanced class, so I didn't get the chance to try it out.

My oldest kid is playing a bounty hunter (as he did in the weekend beta), so I started up a Sith Inquisitor.  In the beta I tried Assassin for a few levels, but kept wishing I could use more lightning abilities, and at longer range.  So I went with Sorcerer this time, and man, with Khem Val tanking I feel like a badass...at level 10.  Being able to zap bad guys from 30m with all of the lightning abilities is awesome.  And the 8 second hold was upgraded to 60 seconds as part of the advanced class.  They also get a direct heal at level 10, which I was using on Khem Val to try it out.  It makes me want to play a Sage on my main server.  

I did encounter a lot of server disconnect issues yesterday.  At character creation and during initial login.  For some reason if I could stay logged in for a minute or 2 after the initial login, I was good.  But there were times yesterday when I just couldn't get past that point and had to walk away and try again later.  I didn't encounter that in the weekend beta.  When I was trying to figure out if there was anything on my side that could be doing it, I remembered I was using a new router.  So I switched back to my old router, and it wasn't as bad...but I still experienced a couple login disconnects.      
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:04:17 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 14, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »

>>>but I did find Ord Mantell kind of boring

I'm on my third run-through with it, and am just a bit tired of the zone at this point (I'll probably do a Jedi next just for a change of pace away from Ord Mantell). I mean, I think Ord works as far as getting you through your first 10 levels in a reasonable amount of time and locations being fairly convenient.

I think you'll enjoy the Corsucant area more, although it's intimidating initially (stretches in every direction, multiple levels within the city and adjacent to it etc.). Keep an eye on the Class Quest in the tracker. I kind of lost track in my 2nd weekend test, and ended up getting my ship so much later because I wasn't paying attention to the Class Quest line.

I assume the starter zones got developed first, and so I suspect as we continue through the game, the zone design in general will get more interesting. Not just because the starter zones are presumably intentionally simpler, but because they probably learned how to do more intricate things with the game engine over time.

Or maybe the whole game is boring. We'll know soon enough, right?  icon_smile I'm kind of glad at this point that the general chat (certainly it'll vary by server) seems no longer "this is a WoW clone" or a zillion people nattering on about things that have nothing to do with SWTOR. At least in my limited time last night, everyone was really focused on the game, helping new players, figuring out how to do things, finding partners for Heroic quests and Flashpoints etc.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:14:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »

I did my first Flashpoint earlier today and I really enjoyed it.  Yeah, it is basically a WoW dungeon, but with the story in place, it is so much more interesting.  I do enjoy the puzzle aspects of fighting WoW bosses in dungeons and there wasn't any of that in the Flashpoint I did, but even if they never did that in a later Flashpoint, I will take the story over the puzzle any day.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: December 14, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »

I'm enjoying my trooper story, but I'm not looking forward to swapping out my rifle for an assault cannon. Troopers look kind of dumb lugging those things around smile  My favorite ability so far is definitely the mortars.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: December 14, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »

By the way, the idea that they would limit people in to make sure the opening areas are not too crowded isn't likely part of it, because they even phase those areas. You can see people listed as "Ord Mandell(1)" or "Ord Mandell(2)", although you can get to those people if you group. I don't know if there can be more than 2 phases, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »

Does anyone know where to go to get skill points reset?  AIUI this is in game, but I sure can't figure out how or where.

Nevermind, found it from old forum posts ressurected via Google cache -- thanks Google icon_surprised  The answer is you need to talk to someone called a "Skill Mentor"  these guys do not have icons over their heads, but are usually in the vicinity of the other trainers.  In the fleet star base there's one all the way at the end of the row of rooms with regular class trainers.

Quote from: Elmo on December 14, 2011, 02:29:54 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 14, 2011, 01:26:26 PM

...You'll definitely know when you've put enough points in because the row of skills above it will "un dim" and become available to distribute points to. ...

Pretty sure if you mouse over a second tier, or higher, row it will tell you what you need for points

I don't think so.  I tried doing a mouse over since this seemed like the obvious way to find out how they were unlocked.  [Edit]. Double checked in game, and there is definitely no indication on the skill tool tips.  That's certainly the obvious place to put an indication of how they work, so I'm rather surprised they didn't do that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:52:58 PM by ydejin » Logged
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: December 14, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 14, 2011, 08:40:25 PM

Quote from: Elmo on December 14, 2011, 02:29:54 PM

I don't think so.  I tried doing a mouse over since this seemed like the obvious way to find out how they were unlocked.  [Edit]. Double checked in game, and there is definitely no indication on the skill tool tips.  That's certainly the obvious place to put an indication of how they work, so I'm rather surprised they didn't do that.

OK, maybe I'm thinking of the skill calculator at the Darth Hater site.  That says you need 5 points in the first tier when you mouse over a skill in tier 2.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: December 14, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »

Well, evidently I didn't cancel my pre-order quick enough because I still got in the first day and started playing (hey it was there smile).  Of course it got my interest going again and I think I'm probably going to be playing it after all.  Stupid Star Wars.  Anyway, I noticed they did something to the graphics compared to the last open beta and it looks much less cartoony now.  I really like it the change.

Music and sounds are of course still top-notch.  Can't remember which server I'm on but it's one of the RP east coast servers with a short name.  Been rock solid so far...no lag and no disconnects at all.  Can't find physical locations of the farms but I'm averaging about 60 ms ping so I can live with that smile

Started a bunch of characters but I think I'm going to concentrate on the Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent to start since I ignored both of them during beta.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:14:56 PM by ericb » Logged
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: December 14, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »

Quote from: ericb on December 14, 2011, 09:10:03 PM

Well, evidently I didn't cancel my pre-order quick enough because I still got in the first day and started playing (hey it was there smile).  Of course it got my interest going again and I think I'm probably going to be playing it after all.  Stupid Star Wars.  Anyway, I noticed they did something to the graphics compared to the last open beta and it looks much less cartoony now.  I really like it the change.

Yeah, it seemed like that to me as well.

Bit of a warning on Jedi Knight.  The first planet story line is pretty mundane.  I'm really loving the storyline on Coruscant though, so if you're trying to evaluate if you want to stay in, don't do it just based on first-planet Jedi Knight.  Plus hey, lightsabers, got to have a lightsaber.

I thought the Imperial Agent first planet storyline was great.  I didn't get far enough into the second planet to evaluate.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 14, 2011, 08:34:30 PM

I'm enjoying my trooper story, but I'm not looking forward to swapping out my rifle for an assault cannon. Troopers look kind of dumb lugging those things around smile  My favorite ability so far is definitely the mortars.
Yeah it reminded me of (I maybe mentioned this here earlier) STO's initial obsession with what I called "Weed Eater" weapons, although I assume they're trying to emulate the pulse cannons in the Aliens movie. STO in its ground combat revamp changed most of those to traditional-looking rifles.

I think whenever I try a trooper, I'll probably go Vanguard in part to stick with traditional rifles, and because being a "ranged tank" sounds interesting.  icon_smile

As far as respeccing goes, from what I read, Bioware seemed in flux about allowing that, how, what it would cost etc. I just don't recall reading about how it turned out. As much as I enjoy the game, many things like this don't seem terribly intuitive. I think also the obsession with tabs in the menus confuses a lot of folks new to the game.

One thing kind of annoying me is when you have your companion's character panel tab up, the tooltip "comparisons" when hovering over equipment or loot rewards is still comparing to what YOU have equipped, not your companion. I end up having to do quite a lot of juggling of panels and inventory windows to figure out if something would improve on what my companion's already using. If I'm missing something obvious about that, you guys let me know.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: