http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 12:02:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 119647 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: December 08, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 08, 2011, 04:18:46 AM

More people seem to be hyperventilating that there'll be no "grace period" as far as early access players playing on launch date and later without a registration key. So Bioware says it's pestering ... um, "working with" retailers to make sure everyone receives their pre-order by Dec. 20. It's tough to really guarantee snail mail right in the middle of Xmas season. Amazon, don't fail me!

>>>>But I didn't cancel my pre-order after playing and finding out first hand it's not all that and a bag of chips.
I would argue that while SWTOR maybe not be "all that," I do believe it delivers an often tasty bag of chips. smirk

Arclight, thanks for your service to our country btw.  drillsergeant  icon_smile I hope you enjoy the game at least a bit.

Thanks BJ. It was for Canada, but hey, we're brothers from another mother.  nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: December 08, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 08, 2011, 10:45:43 AM

Hmm, and this retail key - where do I get that? presumably from Origin I take it, via email or somesuch?

Yeah, I assume that Origin will email you the key when the game is available

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: December 08, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »

Thanks, Childe of soul! I don't want to mess up this very important game registration you see ;-)

A new one
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: December 08, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »

Bioware is releasing a new MP3 soundtrack file each day until release.  You can find them at the SWTOR Facebook Page, or if you're anti-Facebook, you can find direct links here on Darth Hater.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: December 08, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 08, 2011, 12:32:31 PM

Quote from: Razgon on December 08, 2011, 10:45:43 AM

Hmm, and this retail key - where do I get that? presumably from Origin I take it, via email or somesuch?

Yeah, I assume that Origin will email you the key when the game is available

Darn it Soul, you were supposed to say "You should already have it Razgon, I got mine months ago!"  so we could watch Razgon go all  for his next 5 posts.    icon_twisted

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »

Int. Best Buy -- Day

A gamer casually picks up the box for 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' and reads the copy on it.

'It's not *all that*, but it's a tasty bag of chips'.-- Blackjack, some gaming forum called Gamingtrend.

Gamer shrugs. Says 'Aight'. Goes to check out to purchase.

icon_smile
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: December 08, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »

I would be very skeptical of a game that had a marketing blurb on the box that read, "It's all that."  Blackjack's quote is real.  It's both hard hitting and positive.  And "...a tasty bag of chips" means different things to different people, so he left a lot open to the reader's imagination.     
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: December 09, 2011, 02:08:09 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 08, 2011, 07:18:36 AM

What code is this?? I bought the game through Origin, so I'm guessing the code I entered back in the day is sufficient?

Care of Bioware's Stephen Reid:

For those of you who pre-ordered digital editions of the game from Origin.com, you will be emailed your Game Codes starting December 16, 2011.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: December 09, 2011, 02:13:21 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 09, 2011, 02:08:09 AM

Quote from: Razgon on December 08, 2011, 07:18:36 AM

What code is this?? I bought the game through Origin, so I'm guessing the code I entered back in the day is sufficient?

Care of Bioware's Stephen Reid:

For those of you who pre-ordered digital editions of the game from Origin.com, you will be emailed your Game Codes starting December 16, 2011.

Danke. I'm one of those people. I looked for but didn't see a message about that today. I assumed that was more or less what would happen, but I appreciate the confirmation.

- Ash
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: December 09, 2011, 04:44:49 AM »

Wait, so you get a game code on the 16th, but the early access is the 13th?  Or do you not need that game code to do the early access because your early access code gets you that?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: December 09, 2011, 05:01:32 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 09, 2011, 04:44:49 AM

Wait, so you get a game code on the 16th, but the early access is the 13th?  Or do you not need that game code to do the early access because your early access code gets you that?

Yep, early access code is different and if you've pre-ordered you should already have that code.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: December 09, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 09, 2011, 05:01:32 AM

Quote from: The Grue on December 09, 2011, 04:44:49 AM

Yep, early access code is different and if you've pre-ordered you should already have that code.

Whew.  Just making sure.  I bought on Origin the day it was available and turned my code in immediately, so I am very hopeful I can start on the 13th.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: December 10, 2011, 05:19:55 AM »

Is this game out yet?!?!?!?!  Man, I can't wait to get playing.   crybaby

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: December 10, 2011, 05:48:54 AM »

Bit more information on Origin pre-orders (original developer post was updated):

For anyone who has pre-ordered a digital copy of The Old Republic via Origin (either Standard or Digital Deluxe Editions), Origin will begin emailing Game Codes from 8AM PST (11AM EST / 4PM GMT / 5PM CET) on December 16th to the email address associated with your pre-order. Due to the volume of codes being distributed, it may take up to 48 hours for all codes to be delivered via email. If you do not receive a game code email within 48 hours, please contact Origin Support.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: December 10, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »

I guess I'm in now, received this from my brother and sister-in-law (whom both will be playing)

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: December 10, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 10, 2011, 05:19:55 AM

Is this game out yet?!?!?!?!  Man, I can't wait to get playing.   crybaby
No, but the official forums are now officially gone, poof, kaput! in prep for their re-launch Dec. 13. So clearly, we're almost there.  Torches and Happiness!

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: December 10, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 08, 2011, 12:09:18 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 08, 2011, 04:18:46 AM

More people seem to be hyperventilating that there'll be no "grace period" as far as early access players playing on launch date and later without a registration key. So Bioware says it's pestering ... um, "working with" retailers to make sure everyone receives their pre-order by Dec. 20. It's tough to really guarantee snail mail right in the middle of Xmas season. Amazon, don't fail me!

>>>>But I didn't cancel my pre-order after playing and finding out first hand it's not all that and a bag of chips.
I would argue that while SWTOR maybe not be "all that," I do believe it delivers an often tasty bag of chips. smirk

Arclight, thanks for your service to our country btw.  drillsergeant  icon_smile I hope you enjoy the game at least a bit.

Thanks BJ. It was for Canada, but hey, we're brothers from another mother.  nod
Doh! Hmmmm. "Arclight, thanks for your service to North America!"  smirk I think that covers it, right?  icon_smile
================

New progression trailer for the Sith Inquisitor (which is the only light saber class I tried in beta; lightning from your hands never gets old  icon_cool )
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/sith-inquisitor-character-progression
*Assassin advanced class gets the Darth Maul type dual-blade sabers, but I was more into the lightning stuff, so I imagine I'd work up the Sorcerer AC.

You'll see from the trailer that the class has quite a few, uh, big-bug-like enemies. Keep that in mind if you are/aren't into that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:08:46 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: December 10, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »

Chat bubbles!... maybe... (some .ini file tweaks that may or may not work in the retail client)

WTOR Tweaks (Including a Chat Bubbles Toggle!)
http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/n6lti/swtor_tweaks_including_a_chat_bubbles_toggle/
If chat bubbles are not in during Early Access you should be able to force them.

Social_UseOverheadChat = true

Social_ChatOverSelf = true

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: December 10, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »

You got it covered BJ. Your sentiments, and anyone else's are welcomed on either side of our border.

So, I got the main story dealt with in Skyrim..Obviously with Skyrim that could mean I've barely scratched the surface. What a totally unequivocal , master piece of of PC gaming. Best single player game I've ever played, by a country mile....

Ooops, but I digress. I should be able to devote some full attention gaming with SWToR. I'll probably be in the first wave of the early birds. I figure I'll know if I'm in with it or not within the first month. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:25:10 PM by Arclight » Logged

StewMeat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: December 11, 2011, 08:37:53 AM »

Two more days........damnit I told myself I wasn't gona cry, I'm gona miss you all.
Pete with your crooked smile and your rambling sentences, I hope they find a cure in time.
Joe if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be walking so soon after the accidents.
But really, best of luck with the Guild Wars and all that (Dragon time fabric rips and spontanious world super monk fighting)or
the Teddy bear invasion and Chuck Norris and loud nerds yelling at you to stay against the wall or you're out of the raid.
Remember me here, a place so many of you make such a large part of your lives........seriously a Large part, a frightiningly Large
well any way, post on brothers.
And I'll see you all at launch
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: December 11, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »

Quote from: StewMeat on December 11, 2011, 08:37:53 AM

Two more days........damnit I told myself I wasn't gona cry, I'm gona miss you all.
Pete with your crooked smile and your rambling sentences, I hope they find a cure in time.
Joe if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be walking so soon after the accidents.
But really, best of luck with the Guild Wars and all that (Dragon time fabric rips and spontanious world super monk fighting)or
the Teddy bear invasion and Chuck Norris and loud nerds yelling at you to stay against the wall or you're out of the raid.
Remember me here, a place so many of you make such a large part of your lives........seriously a Large part, a frightiningly Large
well any way, post on brothers.
And I'll see you all at launch

Yeah, ok mate you take care now...............***psst, hey guys....who is he anyway?****** ninja paranoid

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »

I assume he's a WoW player who likes SWTOR and plans to play it for a while, so he's bidding a dramatic adieu to his WoW buddies and/or guild.  icon_smile

Either that or Stew had a really bad acid trip while listening to Inna Godda Da Vida.  smoke

Last SWTOR Twitter post had the Bioware chief (Muzyka) saying they're aware how many folks are upset there isn't a grace period to allow for the fact pre-ordered games might not reach everyone Dec. 20:
https://twitter.com/swtor
We hear you & are taking the grace period issue very seriously. We’re looking at all our options.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:44:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 11, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »

From what Ive read, Bioware will have the physical copies to the distributors in plenty of time to allow for game day delivery.   Im a bit amused at all of the drama over the "grace period" when the real issue is with the actual distributors themselves, not Bioware.   Bioware is trying to work on the issue but if you pre ordered from one of the major retailers like Amazon, I imagine it wont be an issue.  Im sure there are problems with orders being placed outside the distributors country of origon but that involves international distribution and thats a whole other mess. 
 For me, it will cost me a day because I went through Amazon with release day delivery, but I work 2nd shift.  My game wont likely be here before I leave for work so I wont be able to access the game until after work on release day.  Now if Bioware works around this through some kind of grace period, thats great but if they dont, its no big deal.  I dont feel Bioware is responsible to make up for issues with retailer distribution and peoples real life conflicts.  That seems like an overdeveloped sense of entitlement to me.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:26 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 11, 2011, 05:50:34 PM

That seems like an overdeveloped sense of entitlement to me.

You do realize that "overdeveloped sense of entitlement" is approximately 50% of the definition of "MMO player" (and approximately 98% of the definition of "MMO official forum poster"), right?

- Ash
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »

And it all could have been avoided if they had given people a one week grace period.  How hard would that have been and how much goodwill would it have generated?  Especially after one of the spokespeople said there was going to be a grace period.

Here is the link:  http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8064577  although the forums are being wiped so the evidence is probably gone now.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 12, 2011, 01:28:16 AM »

i sold my soul and ordered from origin :| but i also work 2nd shift too. I'm use to get screwed on stuff which is why I pretty much go digital now. You might get lucky with amazon as they have been giving me free 1 day shipping on every order, but I have prime so not sure if that's a factor either.

but yeah, even a 2 day period would be more than enough. There's no reason not to have one really and it's a bit scummy in taking it back really.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 12, 2011, 03:13:18 PM »

What's silly is that there really shouldn't be any kind of street date for the boxed or digital copies, since you can't play the game until the servers go live anyway.  Just start shipping out the preorders now.  Let people pick up boxed preorders this week from retail stores.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I would think EA could just give the green light to the retail stores this week.  Add in a 2 day grace period as good customer service on top of that.  If it were just Bioware, I think they would do that.  But I'm not optimistic about EA leadership being that customer focused.     
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 12, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »

Rittchard, Sky, other Wanderers etc...I can't login to the forums, and the admin email is disabled. Can someone PM me a link to whoever runs the boards now I can recover my PW for the SWTOR launch?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 12, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

Guildly-speaking, supposedly e-mails are going out throughout today about what server your early access guild will be on. The guild pages don't appear to be working just yet though. If I get a notification about our fledgling GT Heroes guild, I'll post here right away.

https://twitter.com/swtor (from about 20 minutes before this post here)
Emails are being sent throughout the day. Thanks!

My memory is foggy, but it seems like most of the mmorpgs I'd played the last few years had roughly a 2-3 day grace period after the end of, in most other releases, a 2-week "open beta" just before launch rather than "early access." I don't recall launch day grace periods lasting longer than that (2-3 days). That's usually enough to allow for some slight delay in shipping.

Then again, I don't know too many games that decided to launch 5 days before Xmas.  paranoid
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:46:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: December 12, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »

The Wanderers are on Canderous Ordo - PVE (East).

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on December 12, 2011, 06:59:42 PM

The Wanderers are on Canderous Ordo - PVE (East).

Good to know. That's where I'll be heading.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 12, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on December 12, 2011, 06:02:45 PM

Rittchard, Sky, other Wanderers etc...I can't login to the forums, and the admin email is disabled. Can someone PM me a link to whoever runs the boards now I can recover my PW for the SWTOR launch?

I think Gedd is still running the forums.  I will get the info to you

Looks like Cort is an admin.  Sent him a tell to head over here

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 12, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »

Thanks.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »

So, anyone get their, "you're invited to start early access Dec.13" e-mail yet? Or will that come after 7:00 am EST tomorrow?

Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 12, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »

Pharaoh,  working on it now.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 12, 2011, 09:27:44 PM

So, anyone get their, "you're invited to start early access Dec.13" e-mail yet? Or will that come after 7:00 am EST tomorrow?

AIUI they are going at starting right at 7am EST.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 12, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 12, 2011, 09:27:44 PM

The latter. You aren't supposed to get that e-mail until they're actually ready to let you play.

---

FWIW, after the lackluster early interest in an Imperial guild here, I took fuzzball's suggestion from a few pages back and signed up with the Gamers with Jobs guild, Imperial Paper Pushers. We've been assigned to the server Keller's Void, if any other Imperial-inclined types want to join the guild and/or stalk us relentlessly (note: PvE server). You do have to sign up on the GWJ forums to join their guild(s), though.

- Ash
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »

My guild was assigned to Vulkar Highway, a real (PvP) server smile.

A bunch of guilds from our server in SWG created a big daisy chain, where Guild A had Guilds B, C and D as allies/adversaries, Guild B had A, C and E, etc. Basically we made sure we all had each other down as allies/adversaries. We ended up on 5 different servers. Heh. GJ, BioWare Tongue.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 12, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »

>>>FWIW, after the lackluster early interest in an Imperial guild here

Ash, if it makes you feel any better, there was no interest in a Republic guild either.  icon_smile We got the 4 (including me) needed to qualify, although I've received no confirmation to this point. It's no big deal to me, I do hope we can ally with some other guilds down teh road, assuming we don't just fold like a deck of cards after launch.

At the risk of starting some Hellgate: London/AoC size volume of multiple threads, maybe a thread later about the various SWTOR guilds/servers people are on later on (say after the first month, when it's more clear who's sticking around and who isn't) would be helpful for reference?  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:35:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 13, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 12, 2011, 11:31:54 PM

Ash, if it makes you feel any better, there was no interest in a Republic guild either.

Heh. I don't feel bad. I mostly posted to point out what server I'll be playing on (again, Keller's Void) in case it encourages anyone else to join the same server, as I'd still like to play with (or against, for you Rebel scum) as many GTers as possible. Even if people don't want to join the GWJ guilds, it'd be nice (for me, at least slywink) if anyone who is homeless and looking for a server joined that one, if for no other reason than to buff my friends list. smile

- Ash

PS> GT Heroes has been assigned to Dreshdae Cantina, Blackjack -- it's listed on the guild page on the official site.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: