http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:31:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 127467 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: December 05, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »

Quote from: Vindel on December 05, 2011, 09:18:36 PM

Heya Blackjack, yes I too received the email stating that I had to uninstall the beta client to get ready for the install of the retail client. Bummer
I spoke too soon. Clarified at forums (if you played from Nov. 25 onwards, you DON'T need to uninstall the client as you have the "launch build" -- they'll continue making fixes/updates to that build right up to early access launch):
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=11786689#edit11786689
In preparation for the official release of Star Wars: The Old Republic, we wanted to make sure that everyone has the correct game client installed on their machine.

If you participated in our Game Testing Program before November 25th, we recommend that you uninstall the game testing client (refer to instructions below) and then download and install the launch game client. We’ll update this post with more instructions when they’re available. The size of the launch game client is approximately 27 GB.

If you have played in our game testing program at any point from November 25th onwards, you will not need to re-install the game client, as you should already have the launch version installed.

To verify that you have the launch version installed, you can check for the "assets_swtor_main" version file in the following location on your computer: \Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars – The Old Republic\assets. If you have that file present, you do not need to reinstall the game client.

With that said, some users may notice that their game client folder is much larger than 27 GB on their system. This may be due to having redundant files from previous versions of the client. If you need to clear up space, we recommend completely uninstalling the client and downloading and installing the launch game client. Again, we’ll update this post with more instructions when they’re available.
Stephen Reid emphasized in an earlier post that they will continue updating the launch client with fixes/updates -- they hope to whittle down the "known issues" list (i.e., fix the issues) as much as possible by launch.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:53:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »

I was about ready to break out my pitchfork and set something on fire. Torches and Happiness!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: December 05, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »

I fell for the email and uninstalled. frown

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 05, 2011, 05:30:47 PM

I know WoW didn't invent those things, but it's the popular one, so it gets the comparisons. I am disappointed that BioWare didn't have the guts or skill to come up with a system that was even slightly different, though I understand the reasons for so close a copy - $$$.

Ditto to that.  Funny, even Cheeba's description of where PvP ended in beta sounds roughly around where WoW was at launch.  Actually WoW was probably further behind IIRC.

And before anyone says I'm a hater, I WILL be playing the game, I have the CE pre-ordered in fact.  As a Star Wars fanboy, I'm sure I will enjoy it for what it is, but there will always be a part of me that's disappointed in Bioware for not being daring enough to try to put their stamp on the genre.  I honestly don't see how their single player storytelling game is made better by mashing in MMORPG mechanics, nor how a conventional MMORPG is made better by forcing more single player content in.  As Cheeba said, seems like it's just about $$$. 

For MMORPGers looking for something remotely fresh, all eyes remain focused on Guild Wars 2, it's like the last hope for the genre.  Unfortunately it seems like there's way too much pressure on them now after so many years of development.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: December 06, 2011, 02:15:59 AM »

So... the game is about 2 weeks away... anyone know when they will announce pricing? Any possibilitiy of a lifetime option?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: December 06, 2011, 02:22:09 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on December 05, 2011, 10:54:14 PM

Quote from: cheeba on December 05, 2011, 05:30:47 PM

I know WoW didn't invent those things, but it's the popular one, so it gets the comparisons. I am disappointed that BioWare didn't have the guts or skill to come up with a system that was even slightly different, though I understand the reasons for so close a copy - $$$.

.  As Cheeba said, seems like it's just about $$$. 

Ok you guys do realize this is a business venture with an investment in excess of 100 million.   Hell yes, its about the money!

Unfortunately, innovation in MMO's wont be coming from major developers like EA or Blizzard.  They have far too much at stake.  They will wait for a winning concept to be developed  in an independent house and then usurp it. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: December 06, 2011, 04:54:37 AM »

Technically I could have kept my client, but decided to clear the road just in case. One more download won't kill me, but missing the startup due to having to re-download a client will annoy the crap out of me.

Atomic
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: December 06, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 05, 2011, 10:36:04 PM

me too

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: December 06, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »

Whew, thanks Blackjack...I almost unistalled but check and read the GT forums right before I did.  thumbsup

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: December 06, 2011, 06:03:40 PM »

Fortunately, I saw this post before i received the e-mail.   Seems like Bioware has some serious e-mail shenanigans going on lately.  They should have put a nice big disclaimer that any build after November 25th is safe to keep. 

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: December 07, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 06, 2011, 11:53:35 AM

me too

Btw, you can run the installer.exe to re-download the game. 

NiM$
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: December 07, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 07, 2011, 12:10:49 AM

me too

I got rid of that, too.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: December 07, 2011, 02:10:51 AM »

damn.. I just check my firefox d/l and it was there

NiM$
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: December 07, 2011, 03:39:20 AM »

After thinking about it some more I am going to be dropping my pre-order.  I realized that if this was a generic MMO game and not Star Wars I wouldn't spend the money to buy or play it.  While I love the setting, love Star Wars and enjoyed the beta I just don't have any desire to play at release when it honestly brings nothing at all to the table.  No innovation (except the quest voice overs which were excellent for the most part)....just tweaks of a tired system.  Except for the voice overs there is nothing there that other recent MMOs haven't done just as well.  The CGI was great, the music/sound was excellent but where did the tens of millions of dollars and years and years of development go?  I'll hit GW2 and Secret World (both of which deserve the chance simply for trying to evolve the modern MMO) and maybe come back to this with the first expansion.  Best of luck to everyone who will be playing...may the launch go smooth and bug free.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: December 07, 2011, 03:53:21 AM »

Yep, my sentiments exactly. Not sure if I'll jump right in or not. I'm not subscribed to any mmo at the present, oh all except my doh moment when I bought life time for STO. But that would be my only motive for playing ToR right now, I've got nothing better to do gaming wise.

I hope that all of us that feel this way are wrong, but I'd bet dollars to donuts we're not.

Lift off in T-9 days for head starters.....batten down the hatches.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: December 07, 2011, 05:13:57 AM »

Maybe GW2 will have the mmo innovation that you're both looking for.  There are certainly high expectations for GW2 to be the mmo to take the next big leap.  While I like the concept for Secret World, the gameplay vids that I've seen are pretty bad (or they're just bad vids that don't do the game any justice).

And who knows, maybe another dark horse like DAoC will come along.  In the meantime, I'll be playing ToR icon_razz 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 07, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »

Quote from: ericb on December 07, 2011, 03:39:20 AM

After thinking about it some more I am going to be dropping my pre-order.  I realized that if this was a generic MMO game and not Star Wars I wouldn't spend the money to buy or play it.  While I love the setting, love Star Wars and enjoyed the beta I just don't have any desire to play at release when it honestly brings nothing at all to the table.  No innovation (except the quest voice overs which were excellent for the most part)....just tweaks of a tired system.  Except for the voice overs there is nothing there that other recent MMOs haven't done just as well.  The CGI was great, the music/sound was excellent but where did the tens of millions of dollars and years and years of development go?  I'll hit GW2 and Secret World (both of which deserve the chance simply for trying to evolve the modern MMO) and maybe come back to this with the first expansion.  Best of luck to everyone who will be playing...may the launch go smooth and bug free.

Quote from: Arclight on December 07, 2011, 03:53:21 AM

Yep, my sentiments exactly. Not sure if I'll jump right in or not. I'm not subscribed to any mmo at the present, oh all except my doh moment when I bought life time for STO. But that would be my only motive for playing ToR right now, I've got nothing better to do gaming wise.

I hope that all of us that feel this way are wrong, but I'd bet dollars to donuts we're not.

Lift off in T-9 days for head starters.....batten down the hatches.

The way I'm viewing it is, this is great Bioware story telling that happens to be in MMO form.  I really don't care that they aren't innovating in the MMO genre.  What's more important to me is, are the stories well told, interesting, and involving.  My experience with the Imperial Agent was definitely yes, at least for the 12 hours or so that I played it.  Longer term, we shall see, but Bioware has done some of my absolute favorite RPGs, in terms of storytelling, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Certainly I expect to get good value for my entertainment dollars on initial purchase price.  Whether or not it's worth a monthly fee longer term, that remains to be seen.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »

Lengthy Developer Post describing their thinking behind changes to the item system -- new custom items and the modding system.  Probably worth at least a skim, particularly for those trying to figure out why the system changed.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: December 07, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 07, 2011, 01:01:47 AM

me too

I got rid of that, too.

Just saw this on the swtor forums... try this link  http://www.swtor.com/download

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 07, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »

SWTOR Life has an informative 2-part series (just Part 1 now) on Preferences settings you'll probably want to read through (I didn't know about many of these, which I attribute to how the tab-crazy Options menus make it hard to know what's available to you at a glance; other settings I had seen but didn't quite understand what they did):

Getting the Most out of SWTOR's Preferences (Part 1)
http://www.swtor-life.com/uncategorized/getting-the-most-out-of-tors-preferences-part-1-of-2/4999/#more-4999
I am totally amazed by how many players did not put the auto-loot option (auto-loot on right-click), nevermind the area loot option (looting a corpse automatically collects from all nearby corpses). These two little options are some of the best features in todays modern MMOs. Back in UO days it could take up 3-5 minutes just looting your kills. This should be on everyone’s list of things to switch on when they get into the game.
Auto target is a nice tool to use. Also, clicking on any skill will target the closest enemy available, even when you are out of range. I’ve found this both useful on range and melee classes alike. It just saves time over pressing the Tab-key or physically clicking on the target. This is great for both PvE and PvP.
Focus target was quite handy while I was playing a healer. You target the tank in a flash-point using the default Alt-F and you can switch to them as and when you need too. Not as good as “target of target” or mouse-over healing but at least its a start.
[Option to use quickslot keys on key press, rather than upon "release" of the key] Why anyone would want to trigger a skill on release of the key is beyond me. I want the skills to lash out the moment I bash the darn thing.
[ability action que window delay setting] (still not quite sure I grasp this-bj)
to get the most out of your skills and any macros you may wish to set out from your keyboard, it’s best to set this as high as possible. If you decide to leave this as zero you will have to trigger a skill after the 1.5 second cool-down or continue to bash away at skills like madman.
(I'm not sure if cover bar is enabled by default or not, I think in my experience it was -- it can get a little confusing to have vastly differently slotted hotkey bars swapping as you get in/out of cover, esp. if you remember skills by numbers you mash-bj)
Cover bar is for Smugglers and Imperial Agents and is quite useful. What this does is change out skills that can only be used in cover and remove those that can only be used while out of cover. Just remember to check the skills to see which is which. It’s a great space and time saver.
[Option to de-select target upon clicking on terrain]
De-selecting a preserved target by pressing ESC is a pain in the ass and I must admit I forgot a few times. They wondered how the mobs around me were taking no damage. I really shouldn’t need to point out how useful this is in TOR as the battles you have tend to come in multiples of three or more. This, with the auto-target nearest enemy, works very well together. Just a must-have to breeze through wave after wave of mobs. Just remember to turn the sucker on.
Operation frames is one of the few things you can customize within TOR. If you’re a healer and have not set this up, you need clubbed with a large stick. As for others, it serves as a way to keep you’re screen clutter free and its much easier to see team member health. [Basically, this turns the relatively small teammate health meters into these thick, large red bars that are much easier to view at a glance, albeit they eat up a bit more screen space-bj].
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:29:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: December 07, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 07, 2011, 12:58:11 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 07, 2011, 01:01:47 AM

me too

I got rid of that, too.

Just saw this on the swtor forums... try this link  http://www.swtor.com/download

Many thanks!

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: December 07, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »

I have to say that, even though I have negative feelings towards the longevity of this game, I still am tempted to go for it.  I'm an MMO junkie -- in that I feel the need to always be in one -- and this is the only thing out there I haven't burned out on.  I know I'm not being smart about it, but can't resist the penny candy, even if an everlasting gobstopper it ain't.   retard

eek

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: December 07, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on December 07, 2011, 03:50:26 PM

I have to say that, even though I have negative feelings towards the longevity of this game, I still am tempted to go for it.  I'm an MMO junkie -- in that I feel the need to always be in one -- and this is the only thing out there I haven't burned out on.  I know I'm not being smart about it, but can't resist the penny candy, even if an everlasting gobstopper it ain't.   retard

eek

Just get in it for a month or two. No shame in just trying it out. That's what most of us do with MMOs these days. I've a pre-order and don't expect to play it for more than the time needed to get some fun out of it playing a Sith badass for the first 40 levels or so in the company of some friends.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: December 07, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »

I have to say that, even though I have negative feelings towards the longevity of this game, I still am tempted to go for it.  I'm an MMO junkie -- in that I feel the need to always be in one -- and this is the only thing out there I haven't burned out on.  I know I'm not being smart about it, but can't resist the penny candy, even if an everlasting gobstopper it ain't.   retard eek
Unless you decide you just wanna play one class and then out, I think the class variety and class storyline variety alone will make for some decent long term fun.

To me, longevity isn't something I see in mmorpgs at launch. Until I see how aggressive the content updates are, and whether they can keep up the expense of having voiceovers for all new content that gets added in, I'm not ready to declare "This game has no long term value!"

Too many mmorpgs I've tried were so broken at launch, and it was clear during the late beta leading to launch that the games seriously needed more work just be competent but costs and revenue requirements forced their releases, that the necessary content updates took too long to arrive. Because it was all the devs could do just to fix things and keep the game afloat.

I'm sure SWTOR will have some issues at launch, but I really do have a better feeling that this will launch fine, and Bioware will be able to focus more quickly on updates and new goodies rather than "OMG this is so screwed up and people can't create their accounts or even login and nothing works and aaaaaaaaaaaa the hell with updates we just gotta keep this ship from sinking!"  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2184 on: December 07, 2011, 04:38:59 PM »

[ability action que window delay setting] (still not quite sure I grasp this-bj)
to get the most out of your skills and any macros you may wish to set out from your keyboard, it’s best to set this as high as possible. If you decide to leave this as zero you will have to trigger a skill after the 1.5 second cool-down or continue to bash away at skills like madman.

Blackjack - this allows you to 'buffer' an additional move while the global cooldown is running. In short, once the global cooldown ends, you'll automagically use said power (assuming they're still in range, you have the energy/focus/power/force/cheese sandwiches available, etc).

In short - it allows you to not have to watch the countdown timers on your powers as much so you know when to push a button again for maximum DPS.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: December 07, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 07, 2011, 04:15:34 PM

eek

Just get in it for a month or two. No shame in just trying it out. That's what most of us do with MMOs these days. I've a pre-order and don't expect to play it for more than the time needed to get some fun out of it playing a Sith badass for the first 40 levels or so in the company of some friends.

I look at it this way.  Pretty much any game I buy has less than a month of viable play in it.  You get a month with your initial purchase so its no more costly than any other game.  If you continue to play even longer, $15 a month for a fun game is a bargain.  If it doesnt pan out after the first month then its no worse than any other title, cost wise. 

Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »

Have they announced pricing on the ongoing subscription costs of the game yet? 

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: December 07, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »

Quote from: Dunamis on December 07, 2011, 06:35:10 PM

I expect they will announce that next week but I bet it's the standard 14.99 going rate

NiM$
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: December 07, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »

Man, the force is strong with the GT effect.  Almost as strong as the old GG effect.

But, I think you guys are right.  It will be fun to play through the storylines and hang with friends.  And the time to do that is launch, not later when the friends are scarcer.

Okay, I submit!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »

Quote from: Dunamis on December 07, 2011, 06:35:10 PM

Here:

1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)
    3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)
    6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: December 07, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »

May not be news: Pre-loading of the release game client has started. Mails notifying of early game access go out on the 13th.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: December 07, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 07, 2011, 10:53:03 PM

May not be news: Pre-loading of the release game client has started. Mails notifying of early game access go out on the 13th.

What is news is that apparently playing can begin as early as 7am EST on the 13th.   As far as I can tell though, they won't tell us when we can individually start playing until 7am EST, so assuming a rolling start, people will have to be checking their e-mail regularly starting at 7am EST hoping to get an invite.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:56 AM »

For those just patching from the Nov. 25-28 beta test, fwiw, you'll just see the launcher update and then do a wee bit of patching -- I assume that sort of catches you up as far as the pre-load would go:
If you participated in our recent Beta Testing Weekend between November 25th and 28th and still have the game client installed, you will be able to patch this client instead of re-installing by simply launching your client, logging in and allowing the download to complete. If you did not participate in the November 25th – 28th Beta Weekend, first uninstall the Game Testing Client and then re-install to ensure your game client will function correctly during Early Game Access.
You'll get a message about needing to activate an account, which we understandably can't do just yet.  icon_smile

I'm excited, but this makes me wish I was about 25 years younger (i.e., in college, with a long Xmas break coming up).  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: December 08, 2011, 01:54:07 AM »

Being a retired soldier with tons of time on my hands, I wish I could give you some of my free time to play this game BJ.
On the other hand I love the anticipation for a game you know you're gonna enjoy immensely. I just don't have it for this one. But I didn't cancel my pre-order after playing and finding out first hand it's not all that and a bag of chips.
So I'll be in the first wave of early access candidates.(pre-ordered very quickly)

So with guarded, mild excitement I will be playing in a few days. I have no idea any longer what faction or class.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: December 08, 2011, 01:56:07 AM »

Since I redeemed my pre-order code on the very first day it was possible to pre-order (July 21st), I'm optimistic that I will get in on the first wave. Of course, I won't be able to play until 5-6 PM on any weekday (curse work!) but that's hardly their fault. I'm especially glad of the Early Access thing because I'm going to have next to no time at all to play in the week leading up to Christmas... so starting on the 13th-14th gives me five or six games to enjoy the "real" game before a work-enforced hiatus.

---

As we speak, I'm voluntarily reinstalling the game. I should have been fine, regardless, but my install folder was up to 35+ GB from all the redundant beta files, and I have the bandwidth to spare this month anyway, so I figured I may as well do a clean install.

- Ash
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:26 AM »

Looks like the 13th might be the early start date....

http://www.swtor.com/early-access
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:19:13 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: December 08, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »

More people seem to be hyperventilating that there'll be no "grace period" as far as early access players playing on launch date and later without a registration key. So Bioware says it's pestering ... um, "working with" retailers to make sure everyone receives their pre-order by Dec. 20. It's tough to really guarantee snail mail right in the middle of Xmas season. Amazon, don't fail me!

>>>>But I didn't cancel my pre-order after playing and finding out first hand it's not all that and a bag of chips.
I would argue that while SWTOR maybe not be "all that," I do believe it delivers an often tasty bag of chips. smirk

Arclight, thanks for your service to our country btw.  drillsergeant  icon_smile I hope you enjoy the game at least a bit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:22:04 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: December 08, 2011, 07:18:36 AM »

What code is this?? I bought the game through Origin, so I'm guessing the code I entered back in the day is sufficient?

A new one
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: December 08, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 08, 2011, 07:18:36 AM

What code is this?? I bought the game through Origin, so I'm guessing the code I entered back in the day is sufficient?

thats the pre-order key..  you need to enter your retail key on the 20th

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »

Hmm, and this retail key - where do I get that? presumably from Origin I take it, via email or somesuch?

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: