http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:15:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 120692 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 30, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »

Added GT Heroes as an ally to The Wanderers.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »

With only 3 members i'd suggest ya'll try mixing in with the GWJ empire guild since they have about 57 signups vs 3 in GT villians...  I'm joining in with them for SWTOR, did with Rift too as well as some PC shooters over time and had good times:)  Low population eventually killed it in rift but signups are high there for SWTOR.  It's a pretty good option if joining the wanderers isn't something you want to do.  They've always been pretty welcoming of everyone and the in game community really doesn't relate much if any to the actual GWJ community once the game gets going the guild in game is just like any guild in game in my experience.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:05:31 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 30, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »

I'm not worrying about Guild stuff too much until we see whether everyone quits after the free month (which seems nearly par for the course for every mmorpg in the last 6 years), or if people find enough depth in SWTOR to wanna stick around.

I like the game so far, and plan to stick around a while. However, I've been out of mmorpgs for months, and the last few I had been playing all switched to F2P, so I don't really have anything to "go back to."

The trend for most big budget mmoprgs is launch with a bunch of servers, add even more and add even more customer service people after launch, and then watch things wither away in the first few months when people discover holes in the game, lack of content and content updates, lack of endgame, inadequate PVP, things not living up to the hype etc.

It seems like the days where people might have patience and stick around a few months for an mmorpg to "gets its legs" are over (maybe I'm naive to think there were ever days like that). People just sort of make up their mind in that first 2-3 months.

I really want Bioware to break that trend. I'm rooting hard. But who knows? It's tough.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:29:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 30, 2011, 08:51:02 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 30, 2011, 04:23:55 PM

Quote from: Asharak on November 30, 2011, 01:16:57 AM

Quote from: Fez on November 29, 2011, 11:17:45 PM

So, I know that the Wanderers is starting a guild, but is GT also?  We should try to combine them.

For the Imperials: Gaming Trend Villains

For the Rebel Scum: Gaming Trend Heroes

- Ash

You can only set 2 allies and adversaries it seems.  Wanderers Republic guild already has 2 allies (QT3) but I think we can still set the GT imperial guild as adversaries.  That might put us all on the same server.

I'm not sure that's right.  From what I can tell, the Qt3 guilds are linked to the GamersWithJobs guilds, which are linked to something called "The Grey Council", which doesn't look like the Wanderers.  They are linked to "New Dawn" and "The Manetel Syndicate".  No sign of the Wanderers from what I could see.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 30, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »

The Grey Council is originally a Gamers With Jobs guild but evolved into a Wanderers type guild because of the problem with forum guilds.

You can have up to 3 adversaries/allies. I don't believe there are any restrictions like max 1 adversary or anything.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: November 30, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on November 30, 2011, 08:51:02 PM

No sign of the Wanderers from what I could see.

The Wanderers:  http://www.swtor.com/guilds/142390/wanderers

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

Blue's mentioned a couple interesting previews. Would be interested in how you guys see them. One's sort-of yay, one's firmly nay and firmly in love with the soon-to-be-deceased SWG.

http://www.atomicgamer.com/articles/1341/star-wars-the-old-republic-preview
While my short time spent with the beta can't possibly answer the question of lasting appeal beyond hitting max level, my initial impression is certainly a positive one. I still can't help but advise caution on mashing that pre-order button - especially if you've been burned by "WoW killer-type games before, or if you're looking for an MMO that truly revolutionizes how this genre looks, feels, and plays. For the rest of the gamers who just want to try something new and have sixty bucks lying around, well, it's hard to deny the allure of exploring a whole new galaxy full of loot, lightsabers, and light-side dialogue options, isn't it?

http://www.tremblinghand.net/2011/11/swtor-beta-impressions-bring-back-swg.html
When I picture the Star Wars universe in my mind, I picture something that could so readily be a breathtaking MMO. It'd be a universe of strange worlds with vying political factions and mega corporations competing with underworld organisations. It'd be filled with corrupt officials looming over hard working folk trying to eke a living, while daring smugglers run blockades and pirates and criminal gangs hijack passing vessels. There'd be the mysteries of the force (not a dozen jedi standing by a shop terminal with their lightsabers idly lit) alongside gritty 'used' technology.

I'd like to be in that world. Take sides or just work for number one. To try to survive, and maybe even seek fame and fortune.

That game sounds a lot like Star Wars Galaxies, but even SWG missed the mark on a bunch of points. But that game is nothing like my experience of SW:TOR.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:49 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on November 30, 2011, 10:34:08 PM

Quote from: ydejin on November 30, 2011, 08:51:02 PM

No sign of the Wanderers from what I could see.

The Wanderers:  http://www.swtor.com/guilds/142390/wanderers

I meant no sign of the Wanderers on the Qt3 Allies list.  Sorry, I wasn't clear about that.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: November 30, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on November 30, 2011, 10:39:49 PM

I meant no sign of the Wanderers on the Qt3 Allies list.  Sorry, I wasn't clear about that.

I misunderstood, must have missed the earlier context.  No biggie.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
StewMeat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: November 30, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 30, 2011, 03:31:03 PM

Quote from: StewMeat on November 30, 2011, 08:41:27 AM

"bearing in mind that until the last weekend surge there are simply not alot of folks to fight" you missed that part I guess.

No, I got that part, but you have a huge problem with your logic.

I say there's pretty much no world PvP. This is PvP out in the world, not in the warzones.
You say PvP is "alive and well," but there's not a lot of folks to fight except for the weekend surge.
The problem with your logic is the weekend surge people are almost 100% under level 25, and probably 98% under level 22. These people are not engaged in world PvP in any way.

Hell I don't run into many people anywhere durring our regular test time, everyone is just busy, but I know for a fact if I see an enemy on an open planet I can attack them and they me.

Uh, yeah, that was never in question. The problem is it is not often that we see an enemy on an open planet.
Partner your original statement was "there is no world pvp in SWTOR" what I'm trying to point out is that during the beta it may not be all that and a bag of chips, but it is there and all the mechanics are there and the game will have it in spades at release when everyone is in.
You said it doesn't exist, I say it does it's just a little slow while testing is underway, savy?
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on November 30, 2011, 05:02:05 PM

With only 3 members i'd suggest ya'll try mixing in with the GWJ empire guild since they have about 57 signups vs 3 in GT villians...

Yeah, five sign-ups (and preorders) are needed by this Friday for a guild to get pre-loaded into SWTOR. If more people don't show interest in a GT-specific guild, there's a good chance I'll look to latch on with one with a little more life but whether that's the Wanderers, GWJ or QT3 is TBD. Figured it was worth giving GT a shot first, though, since I post here and not at any of those other places.

- Ash
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: December 01, 2011, 12:53:05 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 30, 2011, 09:42:39 PM

The Grey Council is originally a Gamers With Jobs guild but evolved into a Wanderers type guild because of the problem with forum guilds.

You can have up to 3 adversaries/allies. I don't believe there are any restrictions like max 1 adversary or anything.

Grey Council is GWJ republic basically...while Imperial Paper Pushers is GWJ empire basically.  I have a feeling they'll be to some extent two sides of the same coin....i'm sure a ton of folk will end up with 8 characters on the server, 4 in Grey Council and 4 in Imperial Paper Pushers....assuming they end up on the same server of course.

Same for other forum guilds i'll assume like QT3 and colony....i expect lots of folks who stick with the game to eventually try to play all the storylines for legacy and just for the general fun of it tbh.  I just have no idea if the wanderers have an empire side guild yet, but they're funny:P smile

Quote from: Asharak on November 30, 2011, 11:49:12 PM

Quote from: Fuzzballx on November 30, 2011, 05:02:05 PM

With only 3 members i'd suggest ya'll try mixing in with the GWJ empire guild since they have about 57 signups vs 3 in GT villians...

Yeah, five sign-ups (and preorders) are needed by this Friday for a guild to get pre-loaded into SWTOR. If more people don't show interest in a GT-specific guild, there's a good chance I'll look to latch on with one with a little more life but whether that's the Wanderers, GWJ or QT3 is TBD. Figured it was worth giving GT a shot first, though, since I post here and not at any of those other places.

- Ash

Right on, i've always mainly done my posting here too aside from the last couple MMOs.  Just barely any interest here outside the wanderers guild in my experience. For one thing i've never liked the sides the wanderers pick:P  I see them going republic just like the original SWG they went with rebel alliance....I am an empire guy all the way.  GWJ has 57 players picking empire for their first so i figured that's a pretty decent shot at having folks to play with at least until major raids...at which point there'll either be enough interest in the guild or there won't and everyone can go apply to a raid guild that wants raid content.

the only real problem i've ever seen with forum guilds is irrational loyalty to a dying guild.  Ran into that in Rift...we were down to like 7 total active 50s and only 3 were really hardcore in their raid prep.  One left to apply to apply raid guild, then i left to apply to the same raid guild (cause the forum guild just wasn't open to getting a merge going to get us enough to start planning a raid).  Then folks start getting pissed off cause yer not being loyal the guild...yet it's an impossible situation because they're not open to or capable of anything that'll let you access any more of the content, you're just maxed out and helping max out more players that seem to quit faster than they get to raid ready.

That's my only problem with forum guilds so far...folks that can't let go when it's time to either stagnate or make a change to continue progressing and experiencing new content.  It's a tossup...i've seen the wanderers crash and burn in two months in an MMO (SWG, i was one of the last few hanging on at the end).  You never know what's gonna happen once a month or two have gone by.....just get in one of the guilds, give more than you get, and then evaluate after a couple months what things are lookin like.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:05:21 AM by Fuzzballx » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: December 01, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »

SWTOR website puts you in a queue every time you click a link.  Is that supposed to get us acclimated to the queues for when the game launches?
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: December 01, 2011, 04:16:59 AM »

i'm real curious how hard their site is getting hit and whether they'll be able to handle the load of just pre-ordered players trying to play any time in the next 2 months nevermind the 5 days of early access.

Apparently there's over 900.000 BOX copies pre-ordered now...doesn't include digital, from what i've read.  Who knows what the total with digital is, and the box pre-orders increased by 75k just last week and 3 weeks still to go till release.

I gotta wonder how many folks are logging into and browsing the official site and forums every hour:)

So yea, get real used to the idea of queues for the next couple months just in case they don't pull a miracle:) lol
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: December 01, 2011, 05:34:45 AM »

Launch build is going live at noon CST on Thursday.

Interesting poll on the Game Tester forum:
Question: Would you play based purely on game mechanics, not Star Wars Lore?
Yes: 926    51.25%
No: 881    48.75%

In truth I don't think I would.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:36:54 AM by cheeba » Logged
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 01, 2011, 05:34:45 AM

Launch build is going live at noon CST on Thursday....

Where did you see this?  I'm not finding it mentioned anywhere official.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »

Interesting poll, but I'm not sure what there is to learn about it. My answer to it is no, but I enjoyed the game mechanics. A familiar lore/setting is important. Just look at football games. Madden isn't very good, but it has a huge fan base largely because of the NFL licenses. Better football games have come out without that license, and barely are a blip on the radar.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on December 01, 2011, 12:44:50 PM

Launch build is going live at noon CST on Thursday....

Where did you see this?  I'm not finding it mentioned anywhere official.

The sticky on the top of the Game Testing -> General Testing forum.

Edit - And woops, looking at it more closely, it's at noon EST, 11am CST.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: December 01, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »

Thanks cheeba.

Edit - Stupid f*&^ing site.  Every time I go to the link it tells me to log in.  So I log in and try to go to the link and it tells me to log in even though I'm already logged in.  No problem getting to any other post but the one about the client being available today.  It doesn't really matter, it's just annoying as hell.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:16:57 PM by Elmo » Logged

Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: December 01, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it looks like this new build is only for ongoing testers, not us weekend warriors.

**UPDATE 11/30 - We are excited to announce that the new build of the game will be available tomorrow (12/1) . At 11:00AM CST (17:00 London, 18:00 Paris/Berlin), the servers will open up to all ongoing testers for patching and play! We look forward to your feedback and participation!**

Hello Testers!

We are preparing to deploy a new build of the game for testing! At 12:00AM CST (6:00 London, 7:00 Paris/Berlin) on 11/29, we will be bringing the all game servers and SWTOR.com down for extended maintenance.

Note to weekend testers: Your phase of the Game Testing Program has now concluded, and you will no longer be able to play the game.

As part of the internal testing and deployment process, the game servers will remain unavailable for ongoing testers after the website is up at 12:00PM CST (18:00 London, 19:00 Paris/Berlin) on 11/29. We will update the stickies in this forum to keep you informed about when the servers will be available again. While we do not currently have an ETA, we expect the servers to be available again this week.

GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE NEW BUILD!

Characters from the last phase of testing will not be wiped and will carry over to the new testing build of the game! (Note: characters from testing WILL NOT carry over to Early Game Access).
    You will not need to uninstall this build and the new patch will not be the size of a new build! (This means no 20GB download!)

We are excited to get everyone back to testing, as this is our launch build and it will include wide array of improvements, bug fixes, and updates! Your participation and feedback are truly appreciated!

Please watch this thread for any updates or new information as they become available.

RLMullen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2100 on: December 01, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 30, 2011, 05:31:55 AM

There is almost no difference between a PvP server and a PvE server because they've designed the game specifically to discourage world PvP. You will not see anyone of the opposing faction that you can kill in a non-warzone setting until around level 25. Even then you'd probably have to go out of your way to find them, as the quest areas don't criss-cross very much.

You've mentioned this fact several times over the past few weeks, and I'm specifically focusing on what you are saying about quest areas not overlapping much.

Is there anything to prevent a group of level 40+ characters from going to the "level 25 planet", traveling to the opposing faction's side of the planet, and then locking down an entire quest area?  If there is nothing to prevent this, then what I've described here will BE the defacto world PvP.

I'm not going to call this griefing because like you I believe there is no such thing as griefing on a PvP server.  You get what you signed up for.  I will say that the situation that I described is NOT FUN if you happen to be one of the level 25 characters.  It is even worse if your faction is unable or unwilling to mount a defense of the area.

I've played WoW on a high-pop PvP server for the past seven years, and the few times that I joined folks on a PvE server I found the expeience somewhat lacking.  That said, I'm joining The Wanderers for this game and I'm content with the decision to go PvE... it will be nice to level without having to dodge groups of bored teenagers along the way.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: December 01, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on December 01, 2011, 01:39:47 PM

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it looks like this new build is only for ongoing testers, not us weekend warriors.

Correct, the weekend warriors are done until the game comes out frown.

Quote from: RLMullen on December 01, 2011, 03:07:24 PM

You've mentioned this fact several times over the past few weeks, and I'm specifically focusing on what you are saying about quest areas not overlapping much.

Is there anything to prevent a group of level 40+ characters from going to the "level 25 planet", traveling to the opposing faction's side of the planet, and then locking down an entire quest area?  If there is nothing to prevent this, then what I've described here will BE the defacto world PvP.
There is nothing to prevent it, no. However, there are steps taken to make this kind of act more of an annoyance than it's worth for the attackers. For one, there are a lot of very high level guards. So the reality of the situation is, you go to attack some people and they retreat back to their guards and you spend some time taking pot shots at each other until they get enough numbers to zerg you. Actually this is what Ilum is largely like as well, lol. Two, if you die you most likely have to go to your cloner, which is a LONG ways away (think 10+ minutes).

But yes it is possible and if such an event is worrisome to someone, he should roll a PvE server.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: December 01, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 01, 2011, 04:49:45 PM

But yes it is possible and if such an event is worrisome to someone, he should roll a PvE server.
I'd like to see a free for all ruleset where everyone dies from everyone, even at the hands of their own faction.  And there's no 1-5 or 1-10 leveling grace.  It starts the second you zone in for the first time.  You get full exp points for opposing faction kills, but only the thrill of victory for same faction kills.  A new Jedi Consular would step off the shuttle and immediately be killed by other level 1 Jedi.    Level 1 Bounty Hunters fighting each other, Imperial Agents killing Bounty Hunters.  It would be mayhem.  You'd have to survive the starter zone just to make it to Empire versus Republic fighting.  And setup the quest zones so that Republic players are always right next to or near Empire players all the time.

I have to believe that the crowd that would play this would laugh at the idea of pve questing, so make it so that players that have recently turned in a pve quest are worth double exp points if they're killed, even by their own faction.  If they continue to turn in pve quests, it goes up to triple exp. 

I'd also like for it to be possible to shut down the entire other faction and prevent them from logging in if certain conditions are met, like capturing their main city or planet.  If they complain about not being able to log in, they should go cry on the pve servers.

They should also allow players from any of the other servers to login as floating spectators to enjoy the show.  Allow them to use spectator chat to cheer and jeer the players as they see fit.   

I would penalize players for not fighting other players by debuffing their stats the longer they don't engage in some type of pvp. Anyone who tries to craft anything will be worth 10x Exp if they're killed.  If a player buys something that has been crafted by another player, they are worth 5x exp , and when they die, the crafter who made the item they're using dies too.  If the crafter is not online, then he will be dead when he logs back in.  Again, if they have a problem with that, they should cry their way over to pve or a regular (wuss) pvp server. 

I could keep going, that's just what I came up with off the top of my head.   

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: December 01, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »

People being killed by others should also get jolted by electrical currents in real life!

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: December 01, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »

Although I shared some screen captures of the Collector's Edition unboxing video, a recent fan site summit did include a chance to see all the CE stuff in person:
http://www.swtor-life.com/events/fan-site-summit-2-news/4402/

While imho Darth Hater seems the best/most ambitious/most professionally run of the fan sites covering it, there are a few others. Some include:

http://www.swtor-life.com/
*Like Darth Hater, this one has some nice databases of quests, items, etc. that may be worth keeping an eye on at: http://www.swtor-spy.com/ (spoilers alert if you're not into looking up items, datacron locations, quests, etc.). imho, the site's a bit more overtly "pro-Bioware" fwiw.

The crew skills database seems esp. useful and might save one some time in figuring out what combination might best suit your needs:
http://www.swtor-spy.com/crew-skills/
*The popup "tooltips" give you some suggestions and what other skills might best complement the one you're wearing. I think Smuggler medium armor might fall under Synthweaving, but I'm not sure?

==========
http://www.swtorhub.com/
*This is technically a Ten Ton Hammer sub-site. It has a database and skills calculator, among other things.

http://www.starwarsmmo.net/
*Mostly news-focused, didn't see much in the way of databases or the like.

*I find the fan sites esp. helpful when the main SWTOR site is down for maintenance (which sometimes seems to take an eternity) or the dev tracker at officials grows quiet, as it perhaps understandably has the last few days.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:55:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: December 01, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 01, 2011, 06:28:46 PM

I'd also like for it to be possible to shut down the entire other faction and prevent them from logging in if certain conditions are met, like capturing their main city or planet.  If they complain about not being able to log in, they should go cry on the pve servers.

I can't even begin to imagine why you would think this is fun.  Cutting off players from playing at all seems like a very bad idea.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 01, 2011, 04:49:45 PM

Correct, the weekend warriors are done until the game comes out frown ....

Well I was able to download the new update just now, although my Play button was gray when it finished as expected.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: December 01, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 01, 2011, 07:50:16 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on December 01, 2011, 06:28:46 PM

I can't even begin to imagine why you would think this is fun.  Cutting off players from playing at all seems like a very bad idea.
It's fun in the sense that I would never play on a server like that, but yet, I'm happy to brainstorm thoughts to make it harsher. icon_smile  That's not entirely true, I might play on that server just to hunt down crafters and people who buy from crafters for the exra exp points.  I don't think I would make it past the starter zone though...at least not without help from other anti-crafters.   
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: December 01, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »

FYI.

I'm a non-preorder who only got in last weekend, and I was just invited to the "final" beta test this weekend (starting at 1 pm CST on Friday).

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »

Yeah apparently there will be one more test weekend:

Stephen Reid
Sent Dec. 1: Final Beta Testing Weekend Invites

This is our final test before launch! We have invited a smaller number of testers than in our previous Beta Testing Weekend to assist us in testing a new build of the game. If you participated in the last Beta Testing Weekend, check your e-mail to see if you've been invited. All you need to do is open the launcher and begin patching you'll be able to play at the time stated in the e-mail you received.

- Who was invited: Selected testers that participated in the previous Beta Testing Weekend
- What was sent: Final Beta Testing Weekend invitations
- Server locations: US East Coast, US West Cost, and EU servers
- Invite status: We have begun sending invitations. Check your e-mail to see if you have been invited and for instructions!

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: December 01, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 01, 2011, 06:45:32 PM

The crew skills database seems esp. useful and might save one some time in figuring out what combination might best suit your needs:
http://www.swtor-spy.com/crew-skills/
*The popup "tooltips" give you some suggestions and what other skills might best complement the one you're wearing. I think Smuggler medium armor might fall under Synthweaving, but I'm not sure?

Thanks for all the links Blackjack.  I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I heard that Synthweaving is for Force Users, so the Amormech skill couldn't be used to create Heavy Armor for a Jedi Knight, you instead had to use Synthweaving.  Not sure about Smugglers.

It's quite possible this information is not current or inaccurate, as I haven't spent any time trying to craft.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:46 PM »

Pretty sure Knight/Consular and Warrior/Inquisitor use synthweaved armor and the rest use Armormech made armor.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:44 PM »

I don't like the question.   Would i play based pure on game mechanics, same classes, still jedi and lightsabers, but zero story content coolness? No, absolutely not.

Would i play if it was Dragon Age instead of Star Wars Lore....possibly...depends how cool the story content looked.

But yea, the fact that it's star wars is the main initial attractor here....

but will i keep playing after finishing the story content and new content isn't out yet?  Yes, cause at that point i've already been hooked.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:37:34 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on December 01, 2011, 08:59:02 PM

FYI.

I'm a non-preorder who only got in last weekend, and I was just invited to the "final" beta test this weekend (starting at 1 pm CST on Friday).

Was kinda hopin i might finally get to test it pre-release:) But no joy here....only a lump of coal in my early christmas stocking.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: December 01, 2011, 11:43:59 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on November 28, 2011, 05:09:04 AM

I finally hopped into a pvp match and, woah, suddenly my aging machine didn't cut it at all.  Completely unplayable.  Frame rate dropped to a crawl.  I was doing pretty well up until then, so I dropped everything down to low.  Still no go.  In one match I got 10 killing blows and saw absolutely none of them.

Sadly, that's a deal-breaker for me.  I was really enjoying the storytelling up until then. And the voice-acting is superb -- really a cut above.  Perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

From the new patchnotes:

Fixed an issue that was causing lag in Warzones and Flashpoints.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: December 02, 2011, 01:01:16 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on December 01, 2011, 11:43:59 PM

I finally hopped into a pvp match and, woah, suddenly my aging machine didn't cut it at all.  Completely unplayable.  Frame rate dropped to a crawl.  I was doing pretty well up until then, so I dropped everything down to low.  Still no go.  In one match I got 10 killing blows and saw absolutely none of them.

Sadly, that's a deal-breaker for me.  I was really enjoying the storytelling up until then. And the voice-acting is superb -- really a cut above.  Perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

From the new patchnotes:

Hey, thanks, Gryndyl, for posting this.  I hope it works for me!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:26 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on December 01, 2011, 11:43:59 PM

I finally hopped into a pvp match and, woah, suddenly my aging machine didn't cut it at all.  Completely unplayable.  Frame rate dropped to a crawl.  I was doing pretty well up until then, so I dropped everything down to low.  Still no go.  In one match I got 10 killing blows and saw absolutely none of them.

Sadly, that's a deal-breaker for me.  I was really enjoying the storytelling up until then. And the voice-acting is superb -- really a cut above.  Perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

From the new patchnotes:

Please, people, it was called a stress test beta, not a launch client. Please don't fret about "deal-breakers" until you get a chance to play in the early access/head start, or launch. At that point, all bets are off.  icon_smile If you were able to at least submit some feedback forms to Bioware saying "Hey, my PVP play is seriously lagged and screwed up," I really believe that will help the game.

Much earlier in the year, on occasion I'd complain that the SWTOR dev team is mostly people who worked on other mmorpgs, which I'd kind of say with disdain: i.e., if you wanna do something innovative and different in the mmorpg space, you don't pull together a bunch of people who worked on "traditional mmorpgs." But... wait for it...

otoh, I think that's great from a basic, technical standpoint. You have a bunch of folks who know the agony of failed, messed up mmorpg launches. Who know how important it is to fix lag and server capacity issues before the launch of the new game. Who realize how important it is to overestimate how much server power, capacity, bandwith you need to do well in a launch with perhaps hundreds of thousands of players. Maybe I'm naive, but I really believe that means they know what to expect and won't screw up the launch basics. I think the fact they limited pre-order launch sales speaks volumes, in a good way.

imho, if criticism of SWTOR after launch from players is strictly for not being their cup of tea, or being too WoW-ish or not being SWG-ish enough or (in my case) not stealing more cool ideas from other mmorpgs, whatever, that's fine -- that would mean that the launch went smoothly, that people could set up their new game accounts OK and login OK, that the lag was either low or bearable in both PvE and PvP etc. That would mean players got to judge the game simply on its gameplay, and not on whether they could even login, or get a playable frame rate, or lag made it unbearable etc.

Think about all the big mmorpgs that couldn't even get all those basic things right at launch and suffered severely for it. I'm hopeful (maybe confident is too strong a word right now) that Bioware will get those technical basic things right, and then we can simply judge the game as... a game.  icon_smile

P.S. I haven't been invited to this last weekend of beta testing either fwiw. I'll live.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:41:13 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: December 02, 2011, 06:35:27 AM »

Yeah, well, it wasn't a ubiquitous problem, 1, (in fact, most people reported no significant issues with pvp frame rate) and 2, I'm not sure it was lag at all but something to do with the way my machine was handling player effects.  My specs are low and I'm not buying a new machine for gaming, so, it makes sense for me to be concerned.  icon_eek  I didn't mean to imply that the deal was broken.   slywink

If they fix it, that's great, but, being in a marginal minority, I'm not holding out much hope. 

Oh, and yes, I reported it.  In detail.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »

I never got an email about being in this next test, but the launcher lets me login all the same. you guys with the same thing here? previously, I couldn't even login until the test started. of course the play button is greyed out.
it even says welcome to the test program :|

i'm sure it's nothing.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: December 02, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »

Everyone can log in if they have a username / password that works. You are just not allowed to press the damn play button.

Interestingly, I have been doing the same every day the last 3 days - just to check because, you never know if somehow magically I was in after all :-D

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: