http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:13:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 124427 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »

Yeah, all good and fine..what happens if you can't log into your account? Makes it kinda hard to initiate any changes.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:15 PM »

I just got my email saying I'll be in Friday morning at 11:00. Unfortunately I'm busy most of Friday, so I probably won't be able to really play until Saturday.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 23, 2011, 10:48:15 PM

I just got my email saying I'll be in Friday morning at 11:00. Unfortunately I'm busy most of Friday, so I probably won't be able to really play until Saturday.
Can I have your stuff?

Wait...wrong question....

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »

A buddy of mine got his email too.  I responded before him and have not received anything yet.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 23, 2011, 11:22:20 PM »

Hopefully they'll fix things by that time. Right now it's pretty comical.

Scheduled maintenance from 7am to 10am (all times CST).
(Before maintenance) Update - maintenance is from 6am to 11am.
After maintenance:
10:40am Update: Servers are still undergoing maintenance, no ETA
1pm Update: All servers up! Except European servers
1:20pm Update: All servers down! No ETA
2:45pm Update: No ETA
4:25pm Update: No ETA

Hehe, beta.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 23, 2011, 11:29:20 PM »

In Friday 10 CST.

Friday 1005 CST servers crash...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 23, 2011, 11:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 23, 2011, 08:24:46 PM

6 days now and I still can't access my SWToR account. Anyone else think that they've been cutting costs in areas that are starting to rise up and snap at their heals now?
Basic stuff and they seem all befuddle by it.

I'm concerned about my DDE pre-order and early access codes. Not one repsonse from support, to any of my e-mails. Not even a bot spawned one, lying to me by saying they are looking into it.
Arc, my understanding is the stress test invite flood/influx has truly swamped the official site, forums, everything. I want to be optimistic that they realize this (you don't send out a million invitations and not realize it's going to tax your online infrastructure, right?  icon_neutral) and are upgrading infrastructure, servers, memory whatever to accommodate it. I'll cut them slack right up until head start. Then all bets on this not becoming "Star Wars Galaxies II" in terms of launch fiasco are off...

*What's your concern about your DDE pre-order and early access codes, btw? If it's anything any of us are familiar with maybe we can help you out or point you in the right direction, or clarify etc.

You might find something helpful on the support FAQ page, though it's a lot to leaf through:
http://www.swtor.com/support

As of right now, they've officially disabled logging into the site altogether:
Logins Temporarily Disabled
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=11138997#edit11138997
Hello everyone! We have temporarily disabled logins on SWTOR.com. We will enable them again as soon as we are able. Thank you for your patience!

Oddly, while I can't get the dev tracker link at forums to work, the link I use for my browser's home button seems to work (whenever the swtor.com site isn't down that is):
http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:58:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 23, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »

Quote from: drifter on November 23, 2011, 11:29:20 PM

In Friday 10 CST.

Friday 1005 CST servers crash...

Lucky. That's cool.  icon_smile

I got in to the 2nd wave on Saturday:
You'll be able to begin testing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™very soon! Your test begins:

Saturday, November 26 at 10:00AM CST
============
Hey, cool! Our guild page now lists me as having pre-ordered.  icon_smile So maybe their mega database from hell just needs time when searching your status?
http://www.swtor.com/guilds/276092/gaming-trend-heroes

Please apply (LATER, when we can login to the site again), especially if you've pre-ordered and entered your code (although anyone and everyone is welcome!). We just need 3 more pre-orders w/ codes applied to ensure the guild stuff works in early access. I think.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:05:12 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 23, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »

Got in for Friday at 10 as well, which is even better since I just realized this afternoon that I don't have to work on Friday afternoon, so I should get another almost-maximal-time weekend to play.

I'm going to focus on not remembering that these characters get wiped in less than a month so that putting 20-30 hours into this doesn't seem quite so ridiculous...

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 24, 2011, 01:41:24 AM »

Logging in to the site seems to work OK now. One more shameless plug for applying to our fledgling Gaming Trend guild, just to help me make sure it's ready for early access:  icon_smile
http://www.swtor.com/guilds/276092/gaming-trend-heroes
*I found out I CAN invite people via e-mail. If you prefer that and trust that I'm not secretly an evil spambot known as "GreenEggzNHAMIAM", then you could PM me an e-mail addy and I'll invite you into the guild that way.  icon_smile

Also, your pre-order status is listed under "Code Redemption", which is one of the links on your main account page.

If you were able to enter the code, under "code-redemption" there, it should say something like:
Below is a list of valid Star Wars: The Old Republic codes that have been redeemed under this account.
07.21.2011 Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Collector's Edition Pre-Order
July? DAMN! Has it been that long?  saywhat

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:45:37 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 24, 2011, 03:35:30 AM »

Just applied. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 24, 2011, 03:51:47 AM »

Ditto.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 24, 2011, 04:19:23 AM »

NOTE: AH! The application show up in a section under Roster in your Guild Admin page. Someone make a note of that for when folks wanna start additional guilds later. Hath approved, thanks.  icon_smile It registers you both OK as "pre-ordered," so we just need one more to be "ready for early access."  icon_cool

And hey, if these end up our "Mains," we've already almost got a balanced Flashpoint team, eh?  icon_smile "The Smuggler, the Jedi Consular and the Undecided banded together to..."

*fwiw, I think the little icons represent what we picked as forum avatars at official site, as opposed to a game character. Since the game hasn't launched and all.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 04:30:32 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 24, 2011, 04:34:14 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 23, 2011, 08:05:59 PM

So who wants to go in with me on starting an Imperial GT guild at this point?

EDIT> And should I assume that going with "Gaming Trend Villains" would be the obvious choice, to set us up as Adversaries with BJ's band of diaper-soiling toddlers?

- Ash

I am up for this, but don't know how active I'll be.... I wonder if we can join 2 guilds?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 24, 2011, 04:53:38 AM »

Sweet, got home from work, checked my email and found this:   
 You’ll be able to begin testing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ very soon! Your test begins:
Friday, Nov. 25 at 10:00AM CST

thumbsup

I tested a Jedi and a Smuggler my 1st go around.  This time I fall to the dark side.  Im starting with an Inquisitor and if I have time will probably try a Bounty Hunter.   Interested to see how they play compared to the republic side of things.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:13 AM »

Bah, in Saturday...

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 24, 2011, 07:11:58 AM »

Doesn't matter when I'm in, as I won't be home until Sunday.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:56 AM »

I got in the friday wave. I'll have another write up between the beta experiences, at least I hope so. Hopefully i'll be able to try some pvp too. I probably won't be focusing on trying a lot of classes this time.

I hear a lot of stuff got changed between the last few events.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 24, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »

A proposal: if you guys switch to West Coast time zone, you can ally with the Qt3 guilds.  I know there are a fair number of cross-board members, and in general the Qt3 players are friendly and mature (although you wouldn't know it from reading the Qt3 Politics and Religion sub-forum right now disgust).  This would give a wider group of similarly minded players to play with.  There is currently a Qt3 Republic Guild and a Qt3 Empire Guild, both PvE and both on West Coast time.

I understand if you don't want to switch time zones though.

If you want to do this, let me know, and I'll let the Qt3 guilds know to expect your alliance request.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 24, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 24, 2011, 07:00:13 AM

Bah, in Saturday...
Lets try to meet up!  icon_smile I'm in that wave too.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 24, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »

Looks like I'm the 4th guy, so we're legit now.  I'm also part of the Saturday wave. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 24, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »

I'm in the Friday morning at 10 AM wave.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: November 24, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 24, 2011, 04:34:14 AM

I am up for this, but don't know how active I'll be.... I wonder if we can join 2 guilds?

Looked this up, since I wanted to know as well. From their website:

You can join one guild per each Star Wars: The Old Republic website account. You can only apply to one guild at a time with your account, but you may change your current application to another guild or leave your current guild at any time and apply to another. This limit only applies to the Pre-Launch Guild Program. In the live game, you will be able to join multiple guilds. Any of the characters you create can join other guilds.

Emphases added. So for now, if we want to get the guilds set up to be preloaded into the game (and hopefully onto the same server by setting them as Adversaries) we need four people for each guild, not just four people who apply to both. Once the game goes live, though, you can join whichever or both as you desire.

Also of note, there's a deadline to this: pre-launch guilds have to be created and have their 4+ members attached by next Friday, December 2nd, in order to be eligible for the import.

- Ash
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: November 24, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 24, 2011, 02:03:53 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 24, 2011, 07:00:13 AM

Bah, in Saturday...
Lets try to meet up!  icon_smile I'm in that wave too.

I'd love to Blackjack, but its probably not very easy, due to both different timezones, but also different server parks I'm guessing?

A new one
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 24, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »

OK, I went ahead and created the antithesis to BJ's Heroes, the Gaming Trend Villains. Hopefully three other people (watching for your application, Punisher!) will apply so this actually means something. slywink

FWIW, I set it up identically to the other guild (PVE/English/US East) except for being Imperial, although I'm quite willing to change to US West and associate with the QT3 guilds (I believe they are called Threevil for the Imperial faction and The Republic Navy for the filthy rebel scum), if we decide to do that.

- Ash
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: November 24, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »

Assuming my computer can handle the game, I'll join up for one of the guilds. I've never really put too much time into an mmo, so I'll need hand holding anyway.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 24, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on November 24, 2011, 09:38:54 AM

A proposal: if you guys switch to West Coast time zone, you can ally with the Qt3 guilds.  I know there are a fair number of cross-board members, and in general the Qt3 players are friendly and mature (although you wouldn't know it from reading the Qt3 Politics and Religion sub-forum right now disgust).  This would give a wider group of similarly minded players to play with.  There is currently a Qt3 Republic Guild and a Qt3 Empire Guild, both PvE and both on West Coast time.

If you want to do this, let me know, and I'll let the Qt3 guilds know to expect your alliance request.

A question from the peanut gallery: what exactly does choosing the guild's time zone do? Is that just a public service kind of thing, so the random gamer will typically join the guild in the same time zone he is in?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 24, 2011, 10:47:31 PM »

Quote from: raydude on November 24, 2011, 10:28:54 PM

Quote from: ydejin on November 24, 2011, 09:38:54 AM

A question from the peanut gallery: what exactly does choosing the guild's time zone do? Is that just a public service kind of thing, so the random gamer will typically join the guild in the same time zone he is in?

Yeah, AFAIK it doesn't actually do anything other than let gamers know when the most people are likely to be on.  I suppose if they really wanted to get into it, they could move maintenance times around based on the time zone, but I'm doubtful.

The main thing is you can't match (adversary or ally) with guilds on other time zones, so IIRC one of the Qt3 guilds had to move zones to match the other guild.  I'd say if East Coast players play late, they might actually do better on a West Coast server, OTOH married folks with kids sometimes need to play early, so a West Coast server might work very badly for them if they live on the East Coast -- I seem to recall one of our LOTRO players had to knock off around 9pm Eastern Time, which is when the West Coasters are just getting started.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 25, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »

I don't want to be cynical or skeptical or jaded, but all my previous attempts to get some sort of GT guild going in other mmorpgs have led nowhere. We haven't played together, we've barely said a word in guild chat, etc. At best, maybe we had some "guild stash" we could throw crap loot into.

I like the idea of it, and I keep trying to get the ball rolling, but I think basically everyone's very busy, everyone plays lots of games not just one MMO, we all live in different time zones, have different work skeds etc., and maybe it's unrealistic for me to think we're gonna have some big happy SWTOR guild that regularly runs Flashpoints and crafts stuff for each other and sings Kumbayee around a fire when we're not cavorting with members of all the great big guilds we've allied with.

So, realistically, I wanna try to get this little Heroes guild into early access but I harbor no illusions it'll go anywhere. Maybe we'll dissolve it once the game launches, for all I know. Maybe the members will stage a palace coup and call SWTOR Tech Support to have me "erased" as guild leader. That's fine. Lets just get one or two or however many guilds into the early access and see where it goes. Maybe they'll go nowhere. Maybe they'll snowball into something awesome. Lets just give ourselves the chance/chances to see.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 25, 2011, 03:06:59 AM »

I remember when Gone Gold was the place we hung out. A ton of us were playing DAoC and the "forum" guilds did pretty good in that MMO.
But for the most part we start out with a ton of enthusiasm for it, but it drains out pretty fast. I think its just a matter of it being hard to get most on at the same time, consistantly.
While when you join in game guilds, its usually because you've "bumped" into the same people on a regular basis. And they seem to have a better chance at longevity.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »

I think one of the biggest problems with forum based mmo guilds is that people in the forum come from such a wide variety of time zones.  It becomes difficult to organize due to this and any kind of serious raiding ends up requiring out of guild help.  If the guild survives is generally because those whos time frames dont work out gravitate away from the guild and the guild picks up outsides to fill ranks.  Of course this eventually changes the guild from a forum guild to an open guild. 

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: November 25, 2011, 12:05:05 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 25, 2011, 03:06:59 AM

I remember when Gone Gold was the place we hung out. A ton of us were playing DAoC and the "forum" guilds did pretty good in that MMO.
But for the most part we start out with a ton of enthusiasm for it, but it drains out pretty fast. I think its just a matter of it being hard to get most on at the same time, consistantly.
While when you join in game guilds, its usually because you've "bumped" into the same people on a regular basis. And they seem to have a better chance at longevity.

I think the Wanderers are a spin-off from the GG days.  Btw, the Wanderers are still going strong in some or another

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: November 25, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 25, 2011, 10:15:53 AM

I think one of the biggest problems with forum based mmo guilds is that people in the forum come from such a wide variety of time zones.  It becomes difficult to organize due to this and any kind of serious raiding ends up requiring out of guild help.

I have little to no interest in raiding. My interest in a guild is to provide help with quests, offer advice to new players, do crafting for people as needed, and just generally have friendly people to talk to while playing. I find myself much more motivated to do those things (and get much more enjoyment out of them) when I'm doing them with/for people that I have at least a tenuous (i.e. forum) connection to, rather than for complete strangers that I just happened to bump into one day on the server.

Just thought I'd toss that out there for the alternative perspective on what would constitute a "successful" guild: I don't need to play with a bunch of people that can get organized together to work on objectives together. I just want to play with people that I somewhat-know and sort-of-like. slywink

- Ash
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: November 25, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 25, 2011, 01:58:21 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 25, 2011, 10:15:53 AM

I think one of the biggest problems with forum based mmo guilds is that people in the forum come from such a wide variety of time zones.  It becomes difficult to organize due to this and any kind of serious raiding ends up requiring out of guild help.

I have little to no interest in raiding. My interest in a guild is to provide help with quests, offer advice to new players, do crafting for people as needed, and just generally have friendly people to talk to while playing. I find myself much more motivated to do those things (and get much more enjoyment out of them) when I'm doing them with/for people that I have at least a tenuous (i.e. forum) connection to, rather than for complete strangers that I just happened to bump into one day on the server.

Just thought I'd toss that out there for the alternative perspective on what would constitute a "successful" guild: I don't need to play with a bunch of people that can get organized together to work on objectives together. I just want to play with people that I somewhat-know and sort-of-like. slywink

- Ash

I hear ya.  When I played WoW, we had an extremely successful casual guild.  We eventually became well known on our server and started attracting people who didnt want the hard core style guild.  Unfortunately, we grew too big and eventually raiding started becoming important.  Loot greed and raiding spots started to cause friction and eventually caused a power struggle with the officers.  When it was said and done, some former officers who had abandoned the game (and the guild ) and then came back, took back leadership of the guild.  The people who had rebuilt the guild split off to form a new guild and within a month the old guild was gone.    Raiding doesnt make a guild successful, people do.  Get the wrong people for the style of guild you want and youll never make it.    The problem with casual guild is that your better players will eventually want more out of the game and that usually leads to raiding.  You either raid  ( hopefully with success ) or you lose those players to a guild that does.   Raiding in a casual guild can lead to what I described above and not raiding costs you your best players.  It can become a no win situation.  A good casual guild is a rare thing and very hard to run. 

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: November 25, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »

Other forums also have tremendous difficulty holding a guild past the initial month or two past release, btw. Gamers With Jobs is a larger forum than GT or OO and has the same problem.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: November 25, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

11:30am and queued. Ugh.

Looks like I'm not gonna get much playtime in this weekend. You damn weekenders, get off mah server! Tongue
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:50:41 PM by cheeba » Logged
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: November 25, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »

I logged in, sat in the Q line....now it is "loading". The loading bar is about 1/4 of the way up, and it seems to have hanged up there, nothing else. The game is still running, but nothing is happening. I am not sure if I should restart the game, or just wait it out? It is not a black screen. What is on the screen is "the story so far" from where in the storyline my character is. Should I just shut it down and restart it? Let it go and hopefully it will finish loading up?

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: November 25, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »

I think you'd have more luck posting /looking at the swtor forums than here :-)

A new one
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: November 25, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »

Woohoo, back in. Only had a couple minute queue onto my sever.

As before, I'll be spending my weekend as the Imperial Bounty Hunter Asharael on Shadow Hand, if anyone wants to look me up.

EDIT> On the other hand, trying to load past the character selection screen appears to just loop me back to the character selection screen. Hrrm.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: November 25, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »

We are Ready for Deployment (albeit certainly the more the merrier -- at least we've "qualified"  icon_smile to be present at early access)

I got the Adversary notice (I was flabbergasted at first then remembered the post here)

And confirmed that from "our" direction:

*Personally, I think the SWTOR system needs better smileys!  icon_smile I will make no more neurotic whining about guilds. Lets just say how things go.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: