http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:36:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 126560 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 17, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 17, 2011, 04:36:36 PM

I just wanna know:
-Can we re-size and move around inventory windows yet?
-Can we rescale and move around different components of the UI yet?

Interviews and convention panel discussions suggest those (imho) badly needed basic features won't make it by launch, but I'm trying to remain an optimist.  icon_smile That's the first thing I'm going to check in the stress test.
New build today. LOTS of huge fixes, like PvP equipment (yay I'll have motivation to play again). Unfortunately, nothing about bringing the UI out of the 20th century.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 17, 2011, 09:08:50 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 14, 2011, 11:13:50 PM

It opens up a huge amount on other worlds. It's still linear as hell, of course, but some of the worlds are massive.

I'm finding no reason to play right now. I'm a PvP'er and as I'm nearing level 50 I'm running into level 50 republics who have full PvP gear. The empire has no PvP gear. So I'm running up against people who have an innate 7% advantage in healing and damage against me, and I have not a single thing to fight for.

It really scares me that BioWare's team is not big enough to work on both PvP and PvE at the same time.

I'm a big PvP fan but I don't think you can make a good PvP game with the approach that Bioware is taking.  I'm pretty sure the initial design specs didn't include any thought of PvP.  Also the linear maps are not very good for open world PvP.  I will probably be playing on a PvE server for OR.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 18, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 17, 2011, 09:08:50 PM

Quote from: cheeba on November 14, 2011, 11:13:50 PM

It opens up a huge amount on other worlds. It's still linear as hell, of course, but some of the worlds are massive.

I'm finding no reason to play right now. I'm a PvP'er and as I'm nearing level 50 I'm running into level 50 republics who have full PvP gear. The empire has no PvP gear. So I'm running up against people who have an innate 7% advantage in healing and damage against me, and I have not a single thing to fight for.

It really scares me that BioWare's team is not big enough to work on both PvP and PvE at the same time.

I'm a big PvP fan but I don't think you can make a good PvP game with the approach that Bioware is taking.  I'm pretty sure the initial design specs didn't include any thought of PvP.  Also the linear maps are not very good for open world PvP.  I will probably be playing on a PvE server for OR.
While I'm not into PVP, Bioware recently released more details about the Open World PVP zones (end game, as I read it), which actually remind me a bit of Planetside.

http://www.askajedi.com/2011/11/08/fan-site-summit-ilum-open-world-pvp-detailed/
As you may recall, BioWare introduced the planet Ilum as the first open world objective-based PvP zone at PAX Prime in August. Though brief, the glimpse we saw then of walker vehicles traversing the frozen tundra and legions of troops charging into The Battle of Ilum was enough to get the PvP juices flowing.

We were excited today when BioWare’s Gabe Amatangelo, Lead Endgame Designer for Star Wars: The Old Republic came in to talk to us about this resource-rich planet. He was able to provide some details and answer some very specific questions that have been on the mind of the community. Although we can’t show you any new screenshots or other visuals we saw, we just wanted to give a recap of the highlights here:

-Ilum is a level 50 end-game zone
   - About half of the planet’s size is used for the world PvP objective, and it’s a large planet
   - There are 5 control points in the zone: a Republic and Empire base at the north and south, as well as 3 central resources
   -All 5 points must be under control simultaneously for victory
   -Certain control points engage/deploy walkers that can and need to be take down by special shoulder-mounted rocket launchers, and perhaps other means. It takes a good 10 seconds to fire one of these rockets
    -Victory conditions award a buff that can stack, which awards extra Valor points (earned during other forms of PvP such as Warzones)
    -This buff is faction-wide
    -The status is persistent, no timers for the game to artificially start or “reset” – it’s always on
    -There are rare crafting resources available throughout the zone
    -Zone can hold hundreds of players
    -Design accounts for population differences
    -Operation (raid) group size is 24 players. (Note: PvE Operation instanced content is designed for 8 or 16, but the group itself can have 24 people in it.)
Their Pax Prime video had some glimpses of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTgbKxnHIdw&feature=player_embedded

This is all a cue for someone to chime in with some cynical, jaded remark that it sounds good but will suck. Or for someone who's in the general testing to say "it sounds good on paper but it sucks." Again, please don't disappoint my prediction.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:14:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 18, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »

NDA is lifted! Start spilling the beans, everyone!!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10939389#edit10939389

A new one
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »

Got specific questions? Ask away...I've been playing for a while now (late July/early Aug?) and have fooled with most classes up to around level 25.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: November 18, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »

I'm so glad I signed up for beta the first day it was available...and so glad I did the pre-order the morning it was available...so I can sit here with no beta weekend yet again.  But hey...I've been selected for some future weekend event which I'm assuming is the public stress test since they are now giving out keys like candy.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: November 18, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »

Quote from: ericb on November 18, 2011, 10:55:14 PM

I'm so glad I signed up for beta the first day it was available...and so glad I did the pre-order the morning it was available...so I can sit here with no beta weekend yet again.  But hey...I've been selected for some future weekend event which I'm assuming is the public stress test since they are now giving out keys like candy.

That should be happening next weekend, per this post.

I'll put together some overall thoughts regarding last weekend's beta later tonight or tomorrow morning, now that the NDA is gone.

- Ash
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 18, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 18, 2011, 08:56:08 PM

Got specific questions? Ask away...I've been playing for a while now (late July/early Aug?) and have fooled with most classes up to around level 25.

A page or so ago we were told that we didn't need the trinity for the first flashpoint. Healer, Tank, and what's the third one again.....EPA? Anyway, I was wondering if you found the trinity wasn't necessary for flashpoints up to level 25? Also, what's the max group for a flashpoint, and does the max number include companions - so if the max is 4 then no one's companion shows up in the flashpoint.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: November 19, 2011, 12:50:48 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 18, 2011, 07:22:53 PM

I took a key but never bothered to really use my free play time!  muwuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!  icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: November 19, 2011, 01:05:35 AM »

It's WoW with light sabers. What more do you need to know?  Roll Eyes icon_lol

I'll spill my beans later.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: November 19, 2011, 01:27:43 AM »

Alright, beta impressions. Note that I've only played for the one (most recent) weekend, so I haven't exactly seen a lot of the game. What have I seen, specifically? I played a Bounty Hunter to Level 16 and a Sith Warrior to Level 10, both Imperial characters. I saw pretty much everything there is to see on both Imperial starter planets, as well as the single second-tier planet that both those classes progress to (although I skipped some of the group content on that latter world). I was able to select my Advanced Class for both characters, I played the first flashpoint, and my Bounty Hunter received her ship and participated in a couple of space battles. Both characters had recruited just one companion. The weekend ended as I was about to begin the Bounty Hunter's third planet. I played by myself or in PUGs, where appropriate.

For reference, my MMO background consists of a better part of a year playing LOTRO, several sporadic passes at Guild Wars and one extremely abortive attempt many years ago to get interested in WoW (I don't think I made it past Level 25 before quitting). I haven't played any of them in over two years now. Coming into SWTOR, my attitude is that I am actively looking for an MMO that is good enough and popular enough to dedicate myself to (I point this out to establish that my impressions are potentially coming from a very different place than those who describe themselves as burned-out veterans).

So, what did I think of the game? I was impressed, for the most part. First, yes, the general summary that it plays like LOTRO/WoW set in the KOTOR universe with Bioware-style cutscenes is accurate -- but since that's not news to anybody at this point, let's move on to something more original.

I was very impressed with the Bounty Hunter's storyline. There was a plot twist very early on that I didn't see coming, and the ability to play a "goody-two-shoes" on the Imperial faction was very well fleshed out. I even got my character to say a couple of things to the effect of "the Empire means nothing to me but the credits they pay me", which was exactly the sort of the goodhearted-freelancer-in-a-bad-situation vibe I was going for. I'm not sure if that sort of approach makes as much sense for the Sith classes but the options are certainly there if you want to try to roleplay that somehow. One common element for both the characters I played seemed to be the early establishment of a "nemesis" NPC; it gave both storylines some focus and impact despite the fact that you're still existing at the Ewok level of galactic importance.

Regarding replayability: I think the light-side/dark-side choices probably do give some value to playing the same class twice, but right now I'm not sure the overall level of content really supports that. Excepting the starter planets, there only seems to be one world for each level range (anyone from the general beta want to confirm if this is actually true as you work up the ladder?) and through the three planets I played, I didn't notice a single optional or extraneous zone. I'm thinking of LOTRO, where there is so much content you can essentially skip entire zones with one character so that it's fresh and new when you play it with a second one. SWTOR doesn't seem to have that at this point: you're going to do pretty much everything on every world, so a second character of the same class is going to be slogging through all the same mobs in the all the same sequence just to get to make a different choice at the end. Thus, I think the replayability at this point really is limited to trying out the different classes.

While the story progression is certainly linear, I want to mention that I don't share the corridor/linear map concerns that were expressed here earlier. One of the imperial starter planets, Hutta, consists almost entirely of a big contiguous rectangle of a zone. That said, when I say "big", I mean "big for a Bioware game". I didn't see any LOTRO- or Skyrim-esque vistas, none of the maps inspired a "I wonder what's over that hill?" impulse in me and certainly none of them were large enough to make me think I really could find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow if only I kept chasing it long enough. So, in short: I didn't feel like I was playing a corridor shooter but neither did I feel like I was playing in an open world environment.

The other topic that seems to generate debate are the graphics. Personally, I'm fine with them. I actually think the environments look very good. The swamp on Hutta and the architecture on Korriban both impressed me. Yes, the character art is done in a very simplified style, but it didn't bother me in any way. The only artistic element that I didn't like was the scale. I understand the need to create larger open spaces in an MMO "gathering area" to support the simultaneous number of players, but they seem to have taken this to unnecessary extremes, especially in the vertical. I spent too much time looking at fifty-foot-high blank grey walls while running back and forth across Dromund Kass.

One thing that disappointed me were the space battles. The mechanics were pretty much what I expected -- reminded me more or less of a prettier version of the old Rebel Assault game -- and, while I'm not philosophically opposed to the idea of a on-rails space shooter, I think they need to do much more with it. First, it wasn't nearly pretty enough: if you're going to go with static environments, they should be gorgeous, and these were merely serviceable. They need to get the environment designers from the last set of Mass Effect Hammerhead missions working on these levels ASAP. Second, the whole activity seemed like a pretty meaningless timesink: the XP rewards seemed meager and damage that your ship takes in these missions doesn't persist back into the "real" game. That said, while I didn't get to explore them, there seem to be a lot of different ways to upgrade your ship (I think your ship has as many equipment slots as your character, maybe even a couple more), which intrigued me.

I suppose I should also mention that the game was entirely stable for me. No client-side crashes and, despite this being a stress test weekend, there were no server crashes or unexpected downtime at any point while I was playing.

That's about everything I can think of / remember for now. If anything else comes back to me, I'll post again, of course.

- Ash
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: November 19, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »

Quote from: raydude on November 18, 2011, 11:47:10 PM

A page or so ago we were told that we didn't need the trinity for the first flashpoint. Healer, Tank, and what's the third one again.....EPA? Anyway, I was wondering if you found the trinity wasn't necessary for flashpoints up to level 25? Also, what's the max group for a flashpoint, and does the max number include companions - so if the max is 4 then no one's companion shows up in the flashpoint.

The trinity is healer, tank and dps (damage per second, or just a dude who's focused on doing damage). The first flashpoint at level 10 is designed for 2 players now, and it didn't need the trinity before anyways. So any 4 people should be able to do it just fine.

After that, however, you can do flashpoints (and heroics, which are quests that recommend either 2 or 4 players) with fewer than the recommended number, but it will probably take some experience. Companions count as a group member. There have been a few times where it's difficult to find a group, so we use a companion and 3-man a 4-man recommended event. We've also 2-man'd a 4-man, but that's more difficult and rare. If you're good, or especially if you're tank and you have a healer companion or vice versa, you can often solo the 2-man stuff.

But it's really recommended that you have the trinity after that first flashpoint. The newer flashpoints they did were more difficult (which was much needed). As a sorc I am usually able to heal well enough for a flashpoint even though I'm not spec'd for it. However, with one of the new flashpoints I had to respec full healing for us to be able to do it.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 19, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 19, 2011, 04:39:09 PM

Quote from: raydude on November 18, 2011, 11:47:10 PM

A page or so ago we were told that we didn't need the trinity for the first flashpoint. Healer, Tank, and what's the third one again.....EPA?

The trinity is healer, tank and dps (damage per second, or just a dude who's focused on doing damage).

Someone didn't watch the Republican debates and missed raydude's joke.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 19, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »

Well, at least someone got it smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 19, 2011, 11:47:27 PM »

Quote from: raydude on November 19, 2011, 09:18:15 PM

Well, at least someone got it smile

I lol'd  and its energy btw  icon_wink

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
StewMeat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 20, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »

After half a year of testing and the graphic leap in the latest build, I can't wait to turn it on. If you love rpg's, this ones for you, I myself don't feel compeled to rush through to farm purples here, you will want to be your character and the innovation is the way everything works together to pull you into the world.
I love the stories, I love the companion system complexity, I love the dynamics of my actions and choices, I love all the events that start to shorten the distance between your face and the monitor.
When I play a smuggler it feels like I'm the smuggler, when I'm a Sith my murderous rage is rivaled only by my masters deception and mistrust. The rpg is back and anyone who plays this game with their thumb on the space bar needs to go back to fps games and stop kidding themselves. This game is amazing and I don't care what level I am. I just want to find out what information my contact has for me........before I kill him to cover my tracks.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 20, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »

Nice Delurking, there :-)

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 20, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »

Quote from: StewMeat on November 20, 2011, 12:06:36 PM

After half a year of testing and the graphic leap in the latest build, I can't wait to turn it on. If you love rpg's, this ones for you, I myself don't feel compeled to rush through to farm purples here, you will want to be your character and the innovation is the way everything works together to pull you into the world.
I love the stories, I love the companion system complexity, I love the dynamics of my actions and choices, I love all the events that start to shorten the distance between your face and the monitor.
When I play a smuggler it feels like I'm the smuggler, when I'm a Sith my murderous rage is rivaled only by my masters deception and mistrust. The rpg is back and anyone who plays this game with their thumb on the space bar needs to go back to fps games and stop kidding themselves. This game is amazing and I don't care what level I am. I just want to find out what information my contact has for me........before I kill him to cover my tracks.

Ceekay? Is this you?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 20, 2011, 03:03:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 19, 2011, 01:05:35 AM

It's WoW with light sabers. What more do you need to know?  Roll Eyes icon_lol

I'll spill my beans later.  icon_smile
Sorry pals, obviously D3 beta has taken over my life and I've been trying hard to share as much on that elsewhere here as I can.  icon_smile

Let's see, I can only speak from my few hours playing those few weekends ago. Here's some attempted insights:

SMUGGLER:
Some cover fire observations:
-Although I loved shooting from cover solo; in groups, with the early game being as cakewalk as it is, it seemed a moot point. In the first Flashpoint, my team co-horts would obliterate everything (except maybe 2 bosses) so fast, while you were getting in cover, all the targets would already be dead.
-There's a sort of toggle key to let you see all cover-fire positions in an area that's probably overkill.
-I think another key lets you quickly see nearby cover-fire points.
-The green cover-fire position outlines now look more like a person than, well, GumbyTM  icon_smile
-While it's fun, remember this it not Gears of War or kill.switch. You can still be damaged in cover, or knocked out of cover. Here, it's basically a defense buff and a sort of "gateway" to unique skills.
-The Smuggler has many firing skills that ONLY work when you're in cover. That is, if a skill requires you be in cover to use it, you won't even see the skill in your hotkey tray until you get in cover or drop portable cover. I found that confusing -- I'd often think "hey, why don't I have that cover fire skill in my tray" and would try to drag it back in there, not realizing "duh, I'm not in cover."  retard

-I tried the Scoundrel advanced class near the end of my test. The scattergun animation is pretty damn awesome, and you have to literally shoot a target in the back as its first skill. You then run up, pull your Scattergun out of a thigh holster, leap and shoot the target with much vim and vigor in the back. If you believe "Han Shot First," then you'll want that skill.  icon_twisted

-afik, the Scoundrel Advanced Class can still use cover; it's just, most of the Scoundrel's tricks are running up and shooting or kicking someone or what have you. If you really like to fight from cover, Gunslinger's the way to go.

TROOPER
-Very kick-ass and powerful right away. If you play a Smuggler or Imperial Agent first though, you may find it very awkward not having cover fire. In fact, I'd probably recommend trying other classes and THEN a Smuggler/IA. Otherwise, I think you'll just keep reaching for the 'cover key' and feel weird when it's not there.  icon_smile

INQUISITOR
-The initial zone is a cave of sorts and you spend a lot of time battling cave creatures. While I wasn't all that crazy about that, I really dug the mix of melee light saber and ranged lightning attacks. It just felt like a very flexible, versatile class and I didn't find myself wishing I had more ranged attacks, or more melee attacks. If you like having a good balance of both, I think you'll enjoy it. And who doesn't enjoy casting lightning?  icon_cool

GROUP CONVERSATION ROLLS:
-I absolutely loved this in the first Flashpoint, although I think the game needs to include a brief tutorial/explanation pop up about how it works and what those little numbers by group members' answers mean. Many, many players kept asking "What do those numbers by the dialogue choices mean?" In our build, nothing in the game really explained that.
-Although I enjoyed my test, Group Conversation Rolls and the choices/results was the only thing that consistently made me laugh or smile. It also often provoked funny conversations with fellow players, either about your choices or "HA! I got 99 on the first answer and 2 on this one!"  icon_smile It's great stuff. I think it's the Great Stealth Feature of the game. Even a "social experiment," as you might get on a team where nobody ever wants to make the "dark" choice; or one where everyone wants to do the worst.  icon_twisted I wanted to do the choice that sends the ship's crew out the airlock, but my goodie-two-shoes teams would never go for it. Wimps!  icon_razz

FAST TRAVEL:
-The early zones eventually have a fast-travel speeder network of sorts. It is animated so you do actually ride a speeder to the next destination and get to watch the ground flying by. It gave me a touch of my famous motion sickness stuff though (esp. in tight turns), so I tended to look away from the screen.

CHAT:
-Many of us testers suggested a caption bubble option for text chat (ala City of Heroes and some others), but I don't think I've heard anything suggesting that might happen.

UI
-We'll see in the stress test if anything got done, but many of us complained about the UI not having respositionable or resizeable inventory windows, not having any ability to move around UI elements, or an easy way to rescale the UI. Bioware's answers at convention panels suggest they're "aware" of all that but probably won't have anything along those lines for launch.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:12:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 20, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »

So what do those numbers by the dialog choices mean?  I'll be getting into the next and last beta, as my first beta, and would like to know.  Thanks.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: November 20, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on November 20, 2011, 03:18:08 PM

So what do those numbers by the dialog choices mean?  I'll be getting into the next and last beta, as my first beta, and would like to know.  Thanks.

It's a random roll for your character to speak in the scene. This includes making decisions on how some things play out in a flashpoint. Some choose plan A, others choose plan B...the plan goes with the highest. This could also be a lightside/darkside decision, but you will still get LS/DS points on your personal choice and not the way the scene plays out.

You'll also get social points for every group dialogue interaction (that'll unlock some items/titles later on), but double points if your 'roll' is highest.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 20, 2011, 04:10:12 PM »

Great, thanks.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 20, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 20, 2011, 01:10:55 PM

Quote from: StewMeat on November 20, 2011, 12:06:36 PM

Ceekay? Is this you?

nope, I bet it's Blackjack.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 21, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »

StewMeat was far too concise in his comments to be a blattermouth like me.  icon_razz

Fan site Darthhater is doing some cool things, including a new SWTOR database site folks might want to bookmark:
http://db.darthhater.com/

The Talent Calculator/Advanced Class database seems esp. useful:
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/guardian/
*That's just the first class listed, and you can quickly click around there to see everything available.

I wish I'd gotten further in my weekend test a few weeks ago, but I had some odd motion sickness issues here and there that I really didn't expect.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:59:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 21, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »

Oh, one thing I liked at the end of the Flashpoint (well, assuming you enjoyed playing with the folks in your group), is it flashes up a panel of "Add to Friends List" buttons for all team members. If it's a PUG, everyone may just disband too quickly to even see that, but I like the idea of quickly reminding people "hey if you liked these folks, click the buttons to add them to your friends list."

I definitely found the first Flashpoint too easy (even for a "it's the first one, it's supposed to be easy" type thing) aside from sometimes one early boss, and one late boss who isn't even the "end" boss.

Playing
PC
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: November 21, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 21, 2011, 02:10:35 PM

I definitely found the first Flashpoint too easy (even for a "it's the first one, it's supposed to be easy" type thing) aside from sometimes one early boss, and one late boss who isn't even the "end" boss.

They've revamped the difficulty on the current build...not just for flashpoints. There's a some grumbling that it's too difficult as you climb in levels now, but I personally find it much better now that I can't zerk out and easily cut down tons of mobs using super-streamlined tactics.

I'm actually having to use skills that I would rarely use unless it was an elite or boss, and for me...it's a good thing. I believe it's a good thing for the game too, as my biggest concern was always the difficulty. I realize that the goal is to make you 'feel heroic', but burning through levels and content because it was too easy wouldn't be good for the longevity of the game.

I imagine there will be some more difficulty tuning, but I hope it stays closer to where it is now.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 21, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »

They've revamped the difficulty on the current build..
Thanks, music to my ears.  icon_smile I think I suggested something like the "mission difficulty slider" that some games (City of Heroes, STO etc.) use to allow for some self-customizing, at least of Flashpoints and other instances (can't really do that sort of thing in the open range per se). Difficulty tuning is so tough to do because it's hard to accommodate casual, hardcore and in between players.

In some games I've played they've just ramped up difficulty by making some boss a giant bag o' hit points. Which doesn't really make the game anymore challenging or interesting, your group just takes a longer eternity to finish off something.

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: November 22, 2011, 02:54:19 AM »

Recent problem I'm having, in regards to loggin in to my Star Wars account. For 3 or 4 days now no matter what I do, jumping through all the security hoops in place, I can't log in. It's also asking me security questions as part of my attempts at logging in. What is your favorite movie? I never used that as my security question. So after trying the obvious, Star Wars as my answer, nothing. I've created a temp account just so I could post to support. That's an oxymoron with this bunch if ever there was one. Not one answer from anyone who works there. I made a long disctance phone call today and was put on hold so long, that I eventually had to hang up.

I have noticed some other posts at the official forums with similar problems. Anyone here have this, and figured out a solution?  Its got all the pre-order info and early access stuff on it. Not to mention CC info and the such.
If I could just get a response from their, "support" hahaha, I have to laugh using that word...anyway, getting a tad frustrated with it all.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: November 22, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »

try clicking on the link for "forgot my password"  and then change your password and relog in. 

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 22, 2011, 04:15:34 AM »

Never mind,  the site is borked.  cant log in, cant change my password, cant even complete the captcha thing without an error.  Kinda sucks.

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 22, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 21, 2011, 02:35:01 PM

They've revamped the difficulty on the current build...not just for flashpoints. There's a some grumbling that it's too difficult as you climb in levels now, but I personally find it much better now that I can't zerk out and easily cut down tons of mobs using super-streamlined tactics.

Hey Booner (or anyone else in the general beta), I'm just curious: have they nuked characters from the previous beta for the current build? I imagine the answer is that they did but I'm wondering if I'm going to be starting new characters again this weekend or if I'll be able to pick up where I left off with my Bounty Hunter.

- Ash
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 22, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 22, 2011, 01:42:00 PM

Quote from: Booner on November 21, 2011, 02:35:01 PM

Hey Booner (or anyone else in the general beta), I'm just curious: have they nuked characters from the previous beta for the current build? I imagine the answer is that they did but I'm wondering if I'm going to be starting new characters again this weekend or if I'll be able to pick up where I left off with my Bounty Hunter.

- Ash

Hehe...I was writing up some speculative comments for you when I ran across this on the tester forums...

"I have previously tested Star Wars: The Old Republic - will my characters be available in the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend?

If you played in the 11-13th November Beta Testing Weekend, or if you are already part of the General Game Testing program, then your characters will be available for play in the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend. However if you played The Old Republic during an earlier Beta Testing Weekend or event, then your characters will not be available"

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 22, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 22, 2011, 02:12:49 PM

Hehe...I was writing up some speculative comments for you when I ran across this on the tester forums...

"I have previously tested Star Wars: The Old Republic - will my characters be available in the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend?

If you played in the 11-13th November Beta Testing Weekend, or if you are already part of the General Game Testing program, then your characters will be available for play in the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend.

Thanks. I checked there last night but didn't see that and am getting the "down for maintenance" page now. Good to know I'll have the option -- I was really enjoying the character (and I'm definitely interested to see how she plays after the difficulty adjustment you mentioned). Depending when I get in (I saw the post about the graduated start times for this weekend), I might also try my first Republic character to see how their low-level worlds play.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »

There was a major "looping" problem that impacted many people trying to RSVP for the beta weekend. The community reps indicated they were fixing the problem but it would take some time for their "scripts" to fix all that. And yeah I think now the site's just down due to crazy traffic.  icon_neutral I'd provide a link but can't access forums atm.

I got an invite too -- it says "beta testing weekend," so I assume this isn't the finale tamale "stress test," but I have lingering confusion about that.  confused I'd be eager to check out this increased difficulty folks have cited.

Playing
PC
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 22, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »

Accepted my beta invite and downloaded the client last night, but the installer was only a 24 mb download. Is there something else I need to download before the weekend?

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 22, 2011, 05:26:53 PM

Accepted my beta invite and downloaded the client last night, but the installer was only a 24 mb download. Is there something else I need to download before the weekend?
As I recall, the "installer" is a file that you start up and then it proceeds to d/l the actual client which is a set of files that is pretty dang humongous (make sure you have pretty good amount of HD space wherever you're downloading and then installing). imho, they oughta rename the "installer" a "downloader."  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1876 on: November 22, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »

Yeah, you totally want to run the download now. It's a BitTorrent client (and a shitty one as well with no options on limiting your bandwith use), and even at a 2MB/sec sustain (more or less) it'll take you hours to grab.

I feel sorry for those who download the entire thing and only can get in Sunday. And frankly I expect the testing experience to be far from optimal due to the amount of people playing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: November 22, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »

I finally got an invite, but so close to release, I figure I'll just wait and get it all fresh.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 22, 2011, 05:26:53 PM

yes, run the the installer, that's the client that downloads the game files
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: November 22, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »

Last night I installed what was downloaded, and it brought me to a log in screen. When I tried to log in nothing would happen, so I figured that was as far as it would let me go since it's not the weekend yet. I closed out that window, but when I tried to open it up again last night it was giving me an error saying it couldn't open. So I uninstalled it and downloaded the installer again. I just now tried to open it again and it let me back in to the log in screen, but it says my account needs to be verified. When I click the link I can see it is trying to take me to a security question screen, but it can't get past the first page of the website. They must be getting hammered.

This is why I stick mostly to console gaming, but I loved the KOTOR games and I'm really excited for this. I'm even willing to upgrade my computer if needed.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: