http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:27:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 127961 times)
Vidiot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: November 11, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

They said that beta and beta weekends are not in any way related to pre-order status.  On the other hand the 5 days head start will be rolling based on when you registered your pre-order.

I got my CE within hours of pre-orders going live and no beta for me.  crybaby
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 11, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »

Don't hate me for this, but apparently I've been selected for an upcoming weekend again (not this weekend afik -- I hope not, as I'll be out most of Saturday).  icon_cool

I'm excited cause if I'm going to test again, I'd like it to be as close to the end of the testing period as possible. I hope it's for the weekend after Thanksgiving, that would be about perfect.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:34 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 11, 2011, 08:44:20 PM

Don't hate me for this, but apparently I've been selected for an upcoming weekend again (not this weekend afik -- I hope not, as I'll be out most of Saturday).  icon_cool

I'm excited cause if I'm going to test again, I'd like it to be as close to the end of the testing period as possible. I hope it's for the weekend after Thanksgiving, that would be about perfect.  icon_smile

It's for an upcoming stress test weekend and they're inviting all 1.5 million beta applicants.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 11, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on November 11, 2011, 09:26:34 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 11, 2011, 08:44:20 PM

It's for an upcoming stress test weekend and they're inviting all 1.5 million beta applicants.
I expect that will destroy the Internet, and we'll all have to go back to writing each other snail mail.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: November 11, 2011, 09:49:22 PM »

Pleasantly, the FAQ for the next weekend suggests those of us participating in the current one will only have to patch the client, not redownload the entire 20+ GB.

It also mentions that, in addition to inviting everyone who has already signed up, people who haven't signed up will be able to get codes from some to-be-announced third party sites.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 11, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 11, 2011, 09:49:22 PM

Pleasantly, the FAQ for the next weekend suggests those of us participating in the current one will only have to patch the client, not redownload the entire 20+ GB.

It also mentions that, in addition to inviting everyone who has already signed up, people who haven't signed up will be able to get codes from some to-be-announced third party sites.
- Ash
IGN Prime is one of those "TBA" sites. But if you get an invite from Bioware itself, you're instructed to skip any third party site codes as it may mess up your testing eligibility. Or something to that effect.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 11, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »

And I'm in...playing Imperial on server Shadow Hand, if anyone else playing this weekend wants to look me up (or avoid me). I'll post a character name once I get through the creator...and then I'm going to completely shut up, as per NDA requirements.

EDIT> Asharael, Imperial Bounty Hunter, playing on Shadow Hand, for reference.

- Ash
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:40:55 PM by Asharak » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 12, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »

I got in to pick a server and then when it put me in a queue, I hit cancel.  That took me to a loading screen that sits forever and never does anything.  I've quit out a few times by killing the game in the Task Manager and all I can get is the loading screen now that can only be stopped by killing the program itself (why no cancel button?).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 12, 2011, 02:38:40 AM »

I installed the client a couple of days ago and now I've got some error message when I click the link.  I get: "Certificate authentication failed.  Please re-install to correct the problem."  Not good.  I'm not spending another 5 hours downloading this thing.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 12, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »

Found some workaround to get past that loading screen, but have been in queue forever.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 12, 2011, 05:35:31 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 11, 2011, 09:49:22 PM

- Ash
Oh, I get it. This atomic stress test is the "last" beta testing weekend, thus the FAQ said. There's usually a brief hiatus between the last beta day and early head start stuff in MMOs. So I'm guessing this last testing weekend would be in early December. I'm gonna guess around Friday, Dec. 9 through sometime Monday, Dec. 12 (seemed like the testing "weekend" I was on ran through a bit of Monday). That would give them a little 2-3 day hiatus to batten down the hatches and prepare for early access.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 05:38:29 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: November 12, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

It would have been nice if they had emailed me my invitation before 12:30 pm Friday. Woke up, checked my email at 2:30, got the email, and the swtor site was down for maintenance, so I couldn't download the patcher, had to go to work.

Someone tell me why it should be worth my time to download 20 gigs so that I can test for just a few hours tomorrow evening. Since this is theoretically the last beta weekend and all.
* TheAtomicKid growls unhappily.

edit: that's assuming I can get it downloaded. My connection does about a gig an hour. started at midnight, 11/12

Atomic
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:00:29 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: November 12, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on November 12, 2011, 08:58:57 AM

It would have been nice if they had emailed me my invitation before 12:30 pm Friday. Woke up, checked my email at 2:30, got the email, and the swtor site was down for maintenance, so I couldn't download the patcher, had to go to work.

Someone tell me why it should be worth my time to download 20 gigs so that I can test for just a few hours tomorrow evening. Since this is theoretically the last beta weekend and all.
* TheAtomicKid growls unhappily.

edit: that's assuming I can get it downloaded. My connection does about a gig an hour. started at midnight, 11/12

Atomic

The invites that went out friday are NOT for this weekend's test. They're for an upcoming one.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 12, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on November 12, 2011, 02:41:51 PM

The invites that went out friday are NOT for this weekend's test. They're for an upcoming one.

That's interesting, since my login is enabled on the server and I'm patching.

Atomic
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: November 12, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »

So yeah, um, I can see why people are comparing it to WOW. I'm just sayin'  Tongue

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: November 12, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on November 12, 2011, 08:53:41 PM

Atomic

That's very strange indeed.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: November 13, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »

Atomic

Atomic
If you got the e-mail I did, it says "Additional details for this upcoming test will be announced soon." and "As part of this test, we will be partnering with games industry sites to distribute additional beta codes as necessary. This will help ensure we meet our population goals, so we can effectively stress test our servers in preparation for launch." [This is not what's happening this weekend, and my guess is it won't happen until early December -- this weekend is NOT the last weekend beta test afik]

It does not provide any information on downloading a client yet. I'm assuming you're clever and just used the same link used for previous test clients. I'm not going to try, given that the beta clients have been different each weekend and whatever's up this weekend presumably won't be the stress test client. At least I hope it's not the same.   icon_neutral

If you got an e-mail (maybe an additional one?) that said "click here to download the client and play this weekend," then you got a different e-mail than most of the rest of us are referring to, so we're talking about different things.

If you're playing this weekend and you're not supposed to, then Bioware has a big gaping "hole" in their testing system, which wouldn't surprise me given some of their klutziness on certain things and all the misunderstandings going around (such as the pre-order page for months saying mistakenly that we'd need to have Origin installed to d/l the release client).

If you got in, have fun, and give as much useful, "action-able" feedback as you can.  icon_smile They're a few weeks from release, so the chances they can re-do the entire combat system or otherwise make the game less "WoW with light sabers and blasters" are pretty slim.  smirk
==========================
btw, Fileplanet is also giving out stress test (i.e., for later) keys. So if you haven't heard yet from Bioware about getting into the upcoming stress test, you might check Fileplanet's web site.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:57:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 13, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »

And...Choose Your Side: Inquisitor vs. Trooper
http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111111
*You can see a little more why these two classes caught my fancy in my brief testing, when I'd gone in thinking for sure the Bounty Hunter would be more my style (BH is OK imho, but these two classes moved way "up" in my eyes).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:58:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 13, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »

Beta Impressions, 'cause frankly I've never cared much about NDAs.  These are impressions as I took a Jedi Consular/Sage to level 11.  It's likely just to be a bunch of random impressions. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think you can go online and see enough screenshots to get a feel for the graphics.  It has an interesting art style, but not one that I really like.  It looks a lot like the KOTOR games and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.  They're passable and they'll work ok in the long run - giving the engine a chance to age gracefully like WoW - but I'm just not a big fan.  There's something about the muted colors and textures that I don't particularly like. 

There's enough clips available that you can tell the musical score is good and there's generally very good voice acting.  The score builds appropriately during combat and they quiets down to a whisper when needed.  I'd give the sound two thumbs up.

It's important to say that a lot of stuff works and I ran into only a few glitches, but the ones that came up were kind of annoying (like not being able to roll on loot at least 3 times).  I never had a crash to desktop or a lag out, but I played at off times.  While in the world, I did a lot of PvE and very little PvP (more on that later).  I did no crafting and didn't join a guild or anything like that.  In other words, I stuck to a fairly basic game play experience.  It's also important to say that I think I very well may be burnt out on the whole MMO mechanic.  Rift was the best MMO I've seen on launch and I couldn't play it more than 30 days.  It's going to take something fairly special for me to get energized by a MMO again.  It's going to take some pretty dynamic game play. 

So what of the game play?  Well, it's like most every other MMO in recent years.  You get a quest or two, go out into the world and do it.  Kudos that there weren't many kill x number of mobs quests that I encountered.  Of course, there were an ass-ton of fedex quests.  So what's different about questing?  Well, this is a story-driven MMO, so there's actually a reason to go to certain areas and kill mobs or fetch a package.  The story I played through was pretty well done.  It wasn't Shakespeare, but it did help give it a purpose to going somewhere and doing something.  It also kept things a bit more interesting.  As I mentioned before, the voice acting was pretty darn good throughout.

As the same time, I wasn't at all pleased with combat.  I really didn't get any visceral feel during the combat (like I did in WoW) and I often felt if I were just waving my blade around aimlessly while numbers popped up on screen.  There wasn't much strategy to combat either at that level.  It's nice to see multi-mob pulls, but "pulling" techniques aren't needed since mobs generally stand still until you walk right up on them.  Even though I wasn't lagging, the response time felt "mushy" and the animations were just ok.  The lack of any real auto-attack (my character never once auto-attacked) means I just ended up spamming a couple of keys for most combat.  I also didn't like the targeting and often had a hard time figuring out whether I was actually "locked on" to an enemy.   

I think PvP is going to be a major challenge.  I jumped into a PvP battle and had 3 of the opposition rush at me.  Now I don't expect to win a 3 on 1 ever, but someone cast something on me that froze me instantly while the other two proceeded to wail on me.  While I have any escape button, I wanted to see how long I could get held while taking damage.  The answer is about 20 seconds, which is how long it took me to die.  If there's that kind of crowd control possible at level 11, then PvP is going to be a mess at higher levels IMO.  Being CC'd to death is never fun and if damage doesn't break it, people just aren't going to have fun.   

I also did a flashpoint with a group.  Love the story-line concept, but the "on rails" aspect of it left little room for replay.  Actually, that tends to extend to all of the areas I saw.  There's very little here for explorers.  Narrow paths lead you to the next "area", which is usually nothing more than an open area with mobs standing around.  Once you've done your thing, you take the next narrow path.  I never once was able to really explore in ToR like I could in WoW, EQ or Rift.  I always felt hemmed in, channeled towards the next area.  It's rare for me to test a MMO and use the fast travel options because I like to wander off the beaten path, but since there was no where to go, using the fast travel options just saved time.

The multi-player conversations in groups is interesting.  It wasn't working correctly, meaning that one player almost always won the roll in the groups I was in.  But it was kinda neat rolling to see who got to answer the quest-giver while in a group.

So what is ToR?  It's a single player MMO for the most part.  At one point, I looked over and 4 of us were huddled around the same quest giver, each receiving our own individual instructions, all of us wearing the exact same clothing.  Just four identical mice, all hitting the same lever so we can all get the same food pellet.  And since we're on rails, we'll all be back within 5 minutes of each other to collect our food pellet and hit the lever again.  I guess that could summarize every MMO to some extent, but SW:ToR takes that to the next level.  For the lack of a better word, it felt a bit soulless.  You listen to the quest, go perform it, come back and repeat.  Every once in a while, you'll do a Heroic quest with a couple of folks or a flashpoint.  Then you'll go back to your single player life.  As a soloist, this should appeal to me but for some reason it doesn't.  For me, SW:ToR isn't the sum of its parts - at least not yet.  Instead, it felt a bit hollow and scripted.  I'll probably give it another go during the next beta (assuming I'm not banned, but if I am then so be it), but at this point I'm impressed by the technical achievement, but I'm still looking for the fun that will actually motivate me to subscribe. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 13, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »

Sounds like you've got what a lot of us MMO vets have. We're burned out on the whole MMO formula. I keep hoping for some huge paradigm shift in MMO's. But for what ever reason, I don't think thats coming soon.
I was fairly excited about this game at the onset of information given out. But my enthusiasm is waning fast now. I barely think about it. I've pre-order the digital deluxe, and I"ll for sure play the month out. But as time moves on Im less sure about staying past the month.

In context with my favorite genre(MMO's) this is a bit depressing.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: November 14, 2011, 06:02:24 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 13, 2011, 01:50:36 PM

If you got the e-mail I did, it says "Additional details for this upcoming test will be announced soon." and "As part of this test, we will be partnering with games industry sites to distribute additional beta codes as necessary. This will help ensure we meet our population goals, so we can effectively stress test our servers in preparation for launch." [This is not what's happening this weekend, and my guess is it won't happen until early December -- this weekend is NOT the last weekend beta test afik]

It does not provide any information on downloading a client yet. I'm assuming you're clever and just used the same link used for previous test clients. I'm not going to try, given that the beta clients have been different each weekend and whatever's up this weekend presumably won't be the stress test client. At least I hope it's not the same.   icon_neutral

If you got an e-mail (maybe an additional one?) that said "click here to download the client and play this weekend," then you got a different e-mail than most of the rest of us are referring to, so we're talking about different things.

If you're playing this weekend and you're not supposed to, then Bioware has a big gaping "hole" in their testing system, which wouldn't surprise me given some of their klutziness on certain things and all the misunderstandings going around (such as the pre-order page for months saying mistakenly that we'd need to have Origin installed to d/l the release client).

If you got in, have fun, and give as much useful, "action-able" feedback as you can.  icon_smile They're a few weeks from release, so the chances they can re-do the entire combat system or otherwise make the game less "WoW with light sabers and blasters" are pretty slim.  smirk
==========================
btw, Fileplanet is also giving out stress test (i.e., for later) keys. So if you haven't heard yet from Bioware about getting into the upcoming stress test, you might check Fileplanet's web site.
[/quote]

It was the first paragraph. Never received a followup email with details. Since I've not beta'd before, I had no previous links to use, I went to the swtor site, and dug through faq's and details til I found the link to the test sight. Login worked there, nabbed the download/patcher, and went from there.

No idea if I was _supposed_ to test this weekend, but it let me. Feel warm & fuzzy in the knowledge that I submitted lots of feedback smile

I'm under the impression this weekend is/was the stress test, both from what I've read on forums, and... well, the servers were all redlined. all of them. Not so much Sunday morning, but that evening, after I got home from work, it was the digital version of 'dropping the hammer on it'.

We shall see what we shall see. What I saw was pretty good. I love the voice acted quests. It's ton's better than rightclik npc, popup wall of text that doesn't get read, move to next npc. The text is there if you miss something in the conversations, but it's FAR more interactive.

Is it WoW with blasters and lightsticks? Sure, a little bit. You won't really be able to get away from that, at least not and still be an MMO. But it's good. And it's $*(&*(&!!! Star Wars! biggrin

I really really wish I'd gotten my invite earlier so I could have tested Saturday morning as well frown

Do you like MMO's? Do you love Star Wars? You'll be fine smile

Atomic
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 14, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »

Just to really confuse people Bioware seems to be saying EVERYONE who was registered as a member at SWTOR.com on/before Nov. 11 will be invited to the final beta weekend stress test. So they're reminding folks not to bother with the keys that every gaming news site and its uncle is doling out now unless you weren't registered on/before that date.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10781627#edit10781627
Just a reminder that if you were a registered member of our website on or before November 11th, 2011, you will be invited to the future weekend test. Regardless of whether you received an email last week or not, please do not take beta keys off of any external websites if you are already a registered member of our site. Let's leave them for the more needy, please.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: November 14, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 13, 2011, 08:07:14 PM

Sounds like you've got what a lot of us MMO vets have. We're burned out on the whole MMO formula. I keep hoping for some huge paradigm shift in MMO's. But for what ever reason, I don't think thats coming soon.

Just keep praying for Guild Wars 2 to release  icon_wink

Blackjack's description sounds pretty much like what I'm expecting from this game, so I think for once I'm going to deliberately avoid beta and hope for it to be as fresh as possible when I finally do try it for the first time.  I haven't done any MMOing for months now so hopefully I'll be in a better frame of mind for fed-ex and kill X questing come 12/20.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 14, 2011, 07:24:03 PM

Just keep praying for Guild Wars 2 to release  icon_wink

Blackjack's description sounds pretty much like what I'm expecting from this game, so I think for once I'm going to deliberately avoid beta and hope for it to be as fresh as possible when I finally do try it for the first time.  I haven't done any MMOing for months now so hopefully I'll be in a better frame of mind for fed-ex and kill X questing come 12/20.

Same here. At this point, I'm saving all excitement I have for this game until it officially releases on 12/20.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: November 14, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »

I'm amazed at the people who are saying that the world exploration is "just like WoW", then when I ask them to compare the Tython map versus a map of the Barrens they suddenly change the conversation. 

There's a big difference in zone design between:

| (i.e., Barrens, Shire)     |
|____________________ |

and
               _______              _________
========|______|=======|________|
Path          Quest     Path        Quest
                Area                     Area

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: November 14, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »

I felt that way about Tython too.  It felt like you could only go 10 feet in either direction off the main path before you hit a wall or cliff.  Felt very on the rails.  I am hoping that it opens up on other worlds, sadly coruscant felt about the same.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 14, 2011, 11:13:50 PM »

It opens up a huge amount on other worlds. It's still linear as hell, of course, but some of the worlds are massive.

I'm finding no reason to play right now. I'm a PvP'er and as I'm nearing level 50 I'm running into level 50 republics who have full PvP gear. The empire has no PvP gear. So I'm running up against people who have an innate 7% advantage in healing and damage against me, and I have not a single thing to fight for.

It really scares me that BioWare's team is not big enough to work on both PvP and PvE at the same time.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 14, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »

Played a lot this weekend, completed two Imperial starter planets and a second-tier world as well, saw a couple of the Advanced Classes, played the first Flashpoint, got my spaceship and tried a couple of the spaceship combat missions.

I'm not going to say what I thought of any of those things right now, due to the NDA, but in keeping with the apparent convention, I will say that I'm not regretting my pre-order. I will comment more after either they drop the NDA or the next beta weekend commences, whichever comes first (because, really, any expectation of privacy or confidentiality after they've let literally everybody who is interested play would be pretty ludicrous).

- Ash
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 15, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »

MMORPG has thousands of beta keys for the taking:  http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/304/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Beta-Key-Handout.html

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 15, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 14, 2011, 07:24:03 PM

Just keep praying for Guild Wars 2 to release  icon_wink

Blackjack's description sounds pretty much like what I'm expecting from this game, so I think for once I'm going to deliberately avoid beta and hope for it to be as fresh as possible when I finally do try it for the first time.  I haven't done any MMOing for months now so hopefully I'll be in a better frame of mind for fed-ex and kill X questing come 12/20.
What? Me? What did I say? I don't remember describing SWTOR.  icon_lol

I think what I said at some point was that I was more pleased with what's "between the cracks" in SWTOR (story, voice work, group conversation rolls, companions, etc.). And I wished that more of that spirit made it over into the basic gameplay/questing stuff. I just don't think EA would've bankrolled an SWTOR that was Too Far Outside the Box. So I try to look at is as glass half full -- to be glad Bioware got at least some cool, new or somewhat new features in as they did.

I sort of see SWTOR as this old car (i.e., traditional MMORPG) with an awesome paint job and all sorts of cool spoilers and decals affixed to it. In the end, there's still an old car underneath (mash a bunch of hotkeys, kill a lot of stuff, turn in your quests), but I think there's enough slathered on and attached to it for it to at least offer some cool new experiences when you drive it.  icon_smile

Lets just hope they don't pull an SOE and try to introduce "New Game Enhancements" next year.  paranoid icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: November 15, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »

I sort of see SWTOR as this old car (i.e., traditional MMORPG) with an awesome paint job and all sorts of cool spoilers and decals affixed to it. In the end, there's still an old car underneath (mash a bunch of hotkeys, kill a lot of stuff, turn in your quests), but I think there's enough slathered on and attached to it for it to at least offer some cool new experiences when you drive it. 

This is an apt description.  Its not really new but it is reconditioned with some new bells and whistles.  Plus its Star Wars! which means:  NO FRIKKIN ELVES!  The fantasy motif has been ruling MMOs from the dawn of time, the sci fi setting of Star Wars would be worth it if this was merely a straight on WoW clone.  Even though it does have its similarities in game play, it has enough to set it apart from WoW. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: November 15, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 15, 2011, 04:07:45 PM

I sort of see SWTOR as this old car (i.e., traditional MMORPG) with an awesome paint job and all sorts of cool spoilers and decals affixed to it. In the end, there's still an old car underneath (mash a bunch of hotkeys, kill a lot of stuff, turn in your quests), but I think there's enough slathered on and attached to it for it to at least offer some cool new experiences when you drive it. 

This is an apt description.  Its not really new but it is reconditioned with some new bells and whistles.  Plus its Star Wars! which means:  NO FRIKKIN ELVES!  The fantasy motif has been ruling MMOs from the dawn of time, the sci fi setting of Star Wars would be worth it if this was merely a straight on WoW clone.  Even though it does have its similarities in game play, it has enough to set it apart from WoW. 

I played a bit this weekend and this is exactly what I liked about it.  I really want a sci fi MMO (Anarchy Online was fun for a while) and it's a big bonus that it is set in the KOTOR universe.  I didn't feel like it was a reskinned WoW or anything.  Sure, they share mechanics, but not sure why the MMO genre is the only one that has to have uniqueness when games in the FPS and RTS genre share elements as well.  The thing that really stood out for me was the story-telling and how that makes even a fetch quest that much more interesting.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 15, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 15, 2011, 04:07:45 PM

I do agree with this. I am also tired of fantasy rpgs and while I saw similarities to WoW the voice acting, story and setting was enough to make me want to keep playing. In fact, I miss it now that the weekend test is over.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:34 PM »

I gotta agree. Sure, there are going to be things that it shares with WoW, but to me, this knocks WoW off its lofty throne, then stabs it violently several times before tossing it out in the freezing snow.

I absolutely HATE, DETEST, and simply CANNOT STAND WoW. But I really, truly enjoyed this one. I really felt a connection to my character grow with each cutscene and conversation she had. I felt truly drawn into the story, and couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Any and every other MMO (from WoW to Rift to EQ2 to LotRO) became simply skimming (if even that) to the bottom of the wall of text to accept it as a quest/reward. If it was for a quest, then off to complete it, if it was the reward, select the reward. Then move on. In SW:TOR, I was really drawn into the story, and some of the decisions at least seemed tough to make (perhaps no matter what choice you make, the same result would happen, but it sure felt like the choices mattered).

The story felt like it was important. Most other MMO's, the story only is there to move you forward. In this, it felt like I moved forward, to see more of the story. And I could truly imagine my character walking around trying (beyond simply what the screen shown to me) to solve the mysteries presented in her particular story, with the balance of the galaxy hanging on the edge.

To say I enjoyed it is an understatement. This was one of the best MMO experiences I have ever had, personally. Did I enter the fan boy realm? Probably, but I felt that this game is worth it.

PSN: MythicalMino
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:38 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on November 15, 2011, 08:59:34 PM

I gotta agree. Sure, there are going to be things that it shares with WoW, but to me, this knocks WoW off its lofty throne, then stabs it violently several times before tossing it out in the freezing snow.

I absolutely HATE, DETEST, and simply CANNOT STAND WoW. But I really, truly enjoyed this one. I really felt a connection to my character grow with each cutscene and conversation she had. I felt truly drawn into the story, and couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Any and every other MMO (from WoW to Rift to EQ2 to LotRO) became simply skimming (if even that) to the bottom of the wall of text to accept it as a quest/reward. If it was for a quest, then off to complete it, if it was the reward, select the reward. Then move on. In SW:TOR, I was really drawn into the story, and some of the decisions at least seemed tough to make (perhaps no matter what choice you make, the same result would happen, but it sure felt like the choices mattered).

The story felt like it was important. Most other MMO's, the story only is there to move you forward. In this, it felt like I moved forward, to see more of the story. And I could truly imagine my character walking around trying (beyond simply what the screen shown to me) to solve the mysteries presented in her particular story, with the balance of the galaxy hanging on the edge.

To say I enjoyed it is an understatement. This was one of the best MMO experiences I have ever had, personally. Did I enter the fan boy realm? Probably, but I felt that this game is worth it.

Thats all great but it is an MMO, not a single player rpg, replay value will suck when you get to see all those same cut scenes and crap all over again.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 16, 2011, 02:41:45 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on November 16, 2011, 05:36:38 AM

Thats all great but it is an MMO, not a single player rpg, replay value will suck when you get to see all those same cut scenes and crap all over again.

Youre right it is an MMO.  All of the various classes have different quest lines and different paths so replay value is as good as it gets, unless you plan on replaying and leveling the same class over and over again.  Then your point is value.  Dumb, but valid none the less.  Also while this clearly isnt a single player RPG, it definitely has elements of one and emulates one better than any MMO Ive played.  If fact, from what Ive seen, SW:TOR has more content and replayability than most single player RPG's.   This game is set up so you can play in what ever manner you wish.  If you like solo play in a social environment, you can play that way.  If you have a friend and want to play co-op style, companions allow you access to even more content.  With just a few friends, you can raid.  If you like large social or raiding guilds, thats there for you as well.  From what Ive seen of the game ( and yes, Ive actually played it ) they have made it very enjoyable for whatever play style you wish.  Regardless of whether you are casual or hard core, social or solo, guilded or just playing with friends, theres plenty to do.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 16, 2011, 04:02:49 PM »

While I share a concern that once you've gone through each of the 8 character story types' storylines, we'll likely be back to skipping all the cutscenes, the light side/dark side choices do lend a certain amount of repeatability.

That's evident in the first Flashpoint, where you have to solve a dilemma on the ship at one point. One choice is going to kill a lot of people, and the other one won't. Try as I might, I couldn't win the group conversation roll to choose the former choice -- everyone wanted to be goody two-shoes.  icon_razz But if I could've won, we would've gotten to see a sequence entirely different than what I'd experienced my first couple tries.

You're not going to have that drastic a choice all the time, but I do get the impression there'll be enough meaningful choices here and there, that you will want to pay attention on repeat run-throughs even if you know the basic storyline at that point.

I do think in the end, how long people stick with SWTOR will boil down to the basic gameplay, and to the PVP for those into it. Does that all offer enough variety and is it fun enough that you can keep rolling alts and still have fun, even when you know the stories and quests that are going to show up? I think the Advanced Class branching (work a Scoundrel all the way up, work a Gunslinger all the way up etc.) will help a bit with repeatability appeal as well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:04:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 16, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »

Yeah, but most of what you say could happen to keep people interested, probably won't. They are going to need a viable, vibrant economy that means something. Crafting along the lines of early SWG. And end game. The last is a must have for multiple month subscribing. I think BW have put too many eggs in the "we have the best ever story line voice overs ever" basket. That will become passť very quickly after the first month. I hope beyond all gaming hopes that I'm wrong.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »

I've played through Mass Effect 1 five times, and have never skipped a cut scene.  I've certainly talked to many other people who have replayed Mass Effect.  So while it may suck for you, some of us enjoy replaying and rewatching cut scenes, it's not all that different from rewatching a favorite movie or rereading a favorite book.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 17, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »

I just wanna know:
-Can we re-size and move around inventory windows yet?
-Can we rescale and move around different components of the UI yet?

Interviews and convention panel discussions suggest those (imho) badly needed basic features won't make it by launch, but I'm trying to remain an optimist.  icon_smile That's the first thing I'm going to check in the stress test.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: