http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 127641 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »

Star Wars; Nothing but Star Wars; Give me those Star Wars; Don't let them end!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 12, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »

While I enjoyed the beta weekend and it was nice of them to send a thank you email I did not really need them to send me 8 thank you emails.  If they were really that appreciative a simple welcome to the regular beta would have sufficed.  I do admire their enthusiasm I guess.

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 12, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »

What I'd really like to see, and I realize this is TOR, not the "classic" Star Wars films stuff most of us preferred and loved, is, let's say...

-Work together with other players (or maybe AI friendlies) on discombobulating something akin to an AT-AT walker and then getting to see some aircraft (speeders, whatever they're called) zoom in and finish it off.

-Steal some more TESB inspiration and have my Jedi battle a "dark side" version of himself somewhere as part of my training.

-If you're not going to let me have free-form space combat, at least give me some cool instances that climax with getting to see space fighters do their thing in connection with some objectives I have inside a ship or station.

-Or have free form space combat but only in a limited area. You can write that in with "force fields" or some sort of other sci-fi hokum to justify it.

-Figure out something with map design or scripting to work around the MMO "box" of "wade through one mob of three, then another mob of three, then another mob of three." I realize Bioware didn't shoot for basic combat innovation, but I'd love to see some more patrols, some more ambushes, some more liveliness in the environment, some attempts to break up the monotony of wading through static mob after static mob after static mob.

People go on and on about things "breaking immersiveness," and I'm always, what's immersive or believable about enemies sitting around in groups of 3, doing nothing, waiting for you to kill them. At least give them SOMETHING to DO so it makes sense for them to be standing around.

-Steal things from the Star Wars movies (even the bad ones). I'd steal from every fun scene in the films and figure a way to make it work in the Old Republic era and in an MMO format. I'd steal for instances ideas, I'd steal for basic quest ideas, I'd steal for ways to make class trainers more interesting and the switch to advanced classes more memorable.

-I'd steal things and concepts from other MMOs. I would've stolen Tabula Rasa's base defenses/assaults, Rift's invasions, maybe City of Heroes' Terra Volta respec trial (as a way to let people respe in SWTOR), possibly a simpler version of Age of Conan's multi-key combos for light saber attacks, open questing from Warhammer Online, Champions and STO (yes, I said it, SWTOR could benefit from doing something the way STO does  icon_smile). I probably would've taken my combat animation and character creator leads from things like City of Heroes and Champions because I think whatever their other flaws people might point out, their combat animations and character creator tools are awesome.

If someone accuses you of "stealing," the heck with them. If it works, if it makes your MMO funner or more enjoyable to play, don't be proud or tunnel-visioned. Steal the idea.  icon_smile

As much as I look forward to SWTOR, I think, with a couple exceptions, almost nothing above will be in it. And I think that's sad. I'd love to play something that had all that stuff in it, rather than something probably designed in 2007 or so that didn't bother to look up and see what other devs (even devs of canceled MMOs) were doing for inspiration.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:56:07 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »

Well, I think I've logged over 70 hours into this beta by now.  I can't believe how much fun I'm having! 

For those of you who are disappointed in it, or feel the game is lacking for whatever reason, I feel bad for you; especially if you had expectations for the game that it doesn't seem to meet.  I guess it's not unlike when a sports game (my favorite genre) leaves me disappointed for reason x,y,z.

But for my money, SWTOR is SO good, I find the negative aspects of it totally insignificant, and I'm not even bothered by them.  Based on what I've experienced so far, I can not praise Bioware enough for what they have created here.  To me, this game is simply extraordinary in nearly every way.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 13, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 13, 2011, 09:57:35 AM

Well, I think I've logged over 70 hours into this beta by now.  I can't believe how much fun I'm having! 

For those of you who are disappointed in it, or feel the game is lacking for whatever reason, I feel bad for you; especially if you had expectations for the game that it doesn't seem to meet.  I guess it's not unlike when a sports game (my favorite genre) leaves me disappointed for reason x,y,z.

But for my money, SWTOR is SO good, I find the negative aspects of it totally insignificant, and I'm not even bothered by them.  Based on what I've experienced so far, I can not praise Bioware enough for what they have created here.  To me, this game is simply extraordinary in nearly every way.

I couldn't have said it any better, although I am probably closer to 300 hours or so. The game isn't without flaws but they are outweighed by far by the good.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.435347,-80.007538
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 13, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »

Fair enough. As someone who only got a few hours in on it, I'll just have to trust youz guys' judgement.  icon_smile

I did say on another forum that if the spirit behind things like the group conversation rolls, firing from cover and some of the companion stuff (which is to say, my reaction as player was "Wow. I've never done this in an MMO before! This is so COOL!") permeated the rest of the game and basic combat/gameplay, naysayers wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  icon_smile However, EA-Bioware never promised to think outside the box or be crazy innovative or to tear out the mmorpg genre from its aging roots and blow it up. Probably some indy dev on its last legs would be more likely to think that way, and nobody would play their game except me. I digress.  icon_redface

I think like Siri on the iPhone 4S, group conversation rolls are the "stealth" feature of this game. Scoff if you will, but mark my words -- I all but guarantee folks will have fun and a smile on their faces the first time they experience it. icon_cool Or you'll get mad your group mates wanna respond differently than you, and you'll frown. So I don't guarantee a smile, I just guarantee a reaction.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 13, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »

seriously, you dont invest years and over $100 million into a game and then try to experiment with game play.  You are correct that any real innovations will probably come from indie developers because a company cant afford that kind of gamble on such a huge investment.  The game was pretty much as I expected.  A lot of familiar MMO game play, with more of a tilt towards a standard Bioware RPG.  It feels like they fine tuned this game towards people who want to enjoy playing with a few friends, instead of being forced to run with large groups.  I like that I can hit up instances without having to scramble to find some stranger to run with.  Companions provide you with a viable alternative.
 I havent played beyond level 15 but Im hoping that this style is carried through to end game.  I grew tired of having to try to find an uber guild in WoW if I wanted to get end game gear.  You invariably ended up raiding with people you really didnt want to raid with.  It sucked the fun right out of the game.  I saw so many WoW raiding guilds blow up because of varying personalities and battles over gear.  Too many uber guilds were basically life support systems for an in guild core of elitist players, while the rest of the guild fought over left overs.  Smaller guilds built with friends stood no chance because you could never get enough people to raid, so you either joined a strong guild/raid group or gave up on end game.
 I really hope SWTOR finds a way to make end game accessible to smaller groups and doesnt fall into the same trap WoW did, which in the end alienates a vast majority of their subscriber base.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 14, 2011, 04:30:24 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 13, 2011, 03:24:57 PM

group conversation rolls are the "stealth" feature of this game. Scoff if you will, but mark my words -- I all but guarantee folks will have fun and a smile on their faces the first time they experience it. icon_cool Or you'll get mad your group mates wanna respond differently than you, and you'll frown. So I don't guarantee a smile, I just guarantee a reaction.  icon_razz

I agree-this was the thing that absolutely 100% impressed me. It accomplishes a huge number of things-

1. Other players actually SEE the character face that you spent an hour customizing
2. No matter how much of a dribbling tool the actual player is, their character will speak in intelligible and appropriate sentences.
3. Every mission will play out slightly differently on any repeat plays depending on how the conversations go and the classes involved.
4. Adds a much stronger roleplaying element to the game as your character acts in their role regardless of if you, the player, are an RPer or not.
5. Builds much stronger community on the server as you're more likely to remember the folks in the PUG you were in due to the direct interaction with their character.
6. Allows for a much more involved story progression than you've ever seen in an MMO instance.
7. As with the single player conversations, players are all fully aware of what's going on in the story due to the conversation presentation and their interaction with it, particularly with the added focus of watching to see if your character's choice came up. Players have a much better idea of what the immediate objective is compared to other game's group instances.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:22 AM »

I agree, the conversation mechanic is fantastic.  Most conversations it really doesn't matter who's talking or whats being said - they move the story along and have some slight twists & turns. Its those key conversations though that you'll remember: on my bounty hunter winning the roll so that I pistol whipped & shot the sniveling coward of a captain of the ship we were in was awesome. Likewise, seeing a trooper among a group of jedi win a role to space a bunch of innocents when an alternate (but riskier) solution was available was also awesome to watch. 

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 14, 2011, 07:05:18 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on October 14, 2011, 04:30:24 AM

1. Other players actually SEE the character face that you spent an hour customizing

Most people after level 15ish or so wear masks/helmets that cover up that face. And why are you spending an hour creating a face? There aren't that many options Tongue.

5. Builds much stronger community on the server as you're more likely to remember the folks in the PUG you were in due to the direct interaction with their character.

Very strongly disagree here. In practice in beta this is just not the case at all. People don't think about the situation and then come up with a response. Rather, they look at the responses and figure out, "ok I'm bad evil guy, so which option is appropriate for that?" What's more, every Sith Assassin and Sith Sorcerer, regardless of light or dark, sounds exactly the same. Same with every other male/female by class. And we all look largely the same. So there's pretty much no individuality whatsoever. I don't really remember a single person I grouped with, except one guy who was a dick. I have made a couple friends through PvP though.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: October 14, 2011, 08:20:34 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 14, 2011, 07:05:18 AM

Quote from: Gryndyl on October 14, 2011, 04:30:24 AM

Most people after level 15ish or so wear masks/helmets that cover up that face. And why are you spending an hour creating a face? There aren't that many options Tongue.

I always hide my helmet.

Very strongly disagree here. In practice in beta this is just not the case at all. People don't think about the situation and then come up with a response. Rather, they look at the responses and figure out, "ok I'm bad evil guy, so which option is appropriate for that?" What's more, every Sith Assassin and Sith Sorcerer, regardless of light or dark, sounds exactly the same. Same with every other male/female by class. And we all look largely the same. So there's pretty much no individuality whatsoever. I don't really remember a single person I grouped with, except one guy who was a dick. I have made a couple friends through PvP though.

I distinctly remember everyone in the group I PUGed in. So, guess your mileage may vary.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 14, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »

OMG, two people agreed with me on something. I'm retiring from gaming today!  icon_smile

Quote from: cheeba on October 14, 2011, 07:05:18 AM

I have made a couple friends through PvP though.
I envy you because in PvP in any game genre ever I have only ever encountered "dicks," as you say.  Clearly, I lack your charm.  icon_smile

I had fun with my couple Essele groups, and I like the fact the game pulls up prominent "add as friend" buttons at the end of a group instance. Due to the usual MMO "intimacy" issues (everyone hits "exit group" as soon as they think they can after group stuff), they might leave before you get to use those buttons. Those who may not like those add-as-friend buttons maybe have some option to not "participate" or you just leave a bit early (before the 'add as a friend' buttons terrify you by showing up) and turn in the Flashpoint/Heroic quest/whatever on your own.
========================
Here's what I think I'll wanna do at head start, class wise (which could change, this is just based off what I put time into this weekend), no particular order:
http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/advanced-classes

Trooper>Vanguard:
It's silly, but I just don't like the "underslung" assault cannon's look as it reminds me too much of STO's way too many "grass trimmer" underslung heavy weapons (STO's recent ground combat revision changed most of those to more traditional rifles). I realize I should probably just see it as channeling the movie Aliens...

Plus, I think trying to be a "ranged tank" at later levels should feel refreshing. While I enjoyed the trooper's attacks, once you get used to firing from cover as the Smuggler (or Imperial Agent), it feels weird not to have that option.

Smuggler>Gunslinger: *
*The asterisk is that I didn't even try this advanced class. I just think I'll probably be happier solo if I continue focusing on firing from cover, gaining more 'fire from cover' abilities etc. I love the scattergun animation, but I think if I spent most of the mid-game avoiding cover and running up to targets because I wanted to back-shoot them, I'd be neglecting a feature (cover fire) that I really do enjoy.

Inquisitor>Sorcerer:
Enjoyed what I sampled of Inquisitor, the mix of light saber melee and ranged lightning is addictive and flexible, and it sounds to me like Dark Power as healing would be kinda fun.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:02:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 14, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »

Can other players skip conversations or cutscenes for the entire group?  If I wanted to watch the entire dialogue play out, could an impatient player force skip that for me?  I hope not.

If I go republic, my 1st character will be a smuggler>gunslinger.  I won't be playing out the Han Solo fantasy, I'll be living Roland Deschain in the Old Republic...with a wookie.   

If I go Imperial, both Bounty Hunter and Inquisitor look good. 

Hopefully a weekend beta before launch will help me get a taste of those classes.     
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 14, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 14, 2011, 03:31:14 PM

Can other players skip conversations or cutscenes for the entire group?

No. They skip for you but you get to a point where you respond and you'll see "waiting for other players..."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 14, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 14, 2011, 04:20:19 PM

No. They skip for you but you get to a point where you respond and you'll see "waiting for other players..."
I think there's a time limit. On a couple occasions I was tied up with "real life" stuff, and after a certain amount of time my "roll" was a blank (no number) and the conversation continued. I even got Social Points in spite of not choosing an answer.

So while you can't hit Esc to skip past stuff as a group, it seems like you can just choose not to participate in a segment (whether accidentally like me, or you just don't feel like talkin'  icon_smile), although your group mates might not appreciate it.

I believe the test forums for this past weekend's testers closed this morning - at least, I can no longer access it.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 14, 2011, 04:38:11 PM

I think there's a time limit.

There is, but it doesn't start until the response queue comes up. This is actually really helpful when you holocall into a conversation and you're not able to select any option because they require physical movement, like receiving a scanner or something (which you still receive).

I'm currently stuck on a game-stopping bug, again. My character froze up and I had to force close the program. Since then I've not been able to connect to the server. I can connect to the other servers, just not the one my main is on. I have almost no interest in playing another character right now. Maybe I will try something new this weekend if I still can't connect. There's another 40 page thread on the forums with people having the same problem and BioWare actually responded, saying yup, it's a problem. Heh.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: October 14, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »

I still feel like it needs a little label or tooltip or something. When scores of people keep asking "What are these little numbers in the lower left corner?" in general chat, once again something is either not intuitive or not obvious to most new players.

Sure it's obvious to us folks following the game's development closely but chances are the game will draw in a lot of new MMO players and people who just like Star Wars and they'll be "Hey, what are these numbers and ellipsis/dot-dot-dots in the corner, what do they mean? Is it a stat? Is it a countdown? Do we blow up? Do I do something?"  confused

I keep harping on stuff like that, although part of me says "Well, the more you leave unexplained or not obvious at first glance, the more you force people to actually talk to and help each other." So maybe I should quit griping about it. Maybe it's not some terrible thing that's going to frustrate new players. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:38:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 14, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 14, 2011, 04:20:19 PM

Perfect, thanks.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 14, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »

If I go republic, my 1st character will be a smuggler>gunslinger.  I won't be playing out the Han Solo fantasy, I'll be living Roland Deschain in the Old Republic...with a wookie.   

Are you going to name your wookie Oy?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 14, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »

Still hanging on to my original pick of Imperial Agent. Any "educated opinons" on a sniper-IA? ninja2

Grace: Unmerited favor.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 14, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »

Has there been any discussion on which side will be chosen if there is going to be a GT guild?
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 14, 2011, 09:23:02 PM »

I pre ordered through Origin (the digital deluxe version), so I should get the early access sometime before actual launch. Still not in any of the betas, but a friend of mine is in the regular beta (has no job, so he spends nearly every hour of his day in the game).

I am all for joining a guild if GT starts one up.

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 14, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 14, 2011, 08:22:41 PM

Are you going to name your wookie Oy?
I'll name my smuggler Billy Bumbler.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 14, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »

I'm hopeful I can go ahead and name my head start Smuggler "Blackjack." The name comes from my favorite martial arts scrapper in City of Heroes back around 2004. I think there might have been a character (not copyrighted, so nobody came after me about my name) in Irrational's Freedom Force with that name, who tossed poison edged playing cards or something.

It would work even better if Smugglers ever got access to truly dark black clothing. Through 12-13 I saw nothing like that. Maybe I'll have to rename him Palejack or Beigejack or Muddy Brown Jack.  icon_smile

One group I have with clothing/armor icons in the game (the piece you'd put on your "character portrait" to equip it) is the colors to me didn't seem to match up. You'd see this icon that looked like blue with a red ammo belt on it, and when I equipped it, it looked like I dunno -- brown w/ no ammo belt. Or I'd see one that looked really cool when I viewed it in the vendor inventory but when I actually equipped it? It looked like mud.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 14, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 14, 2011, 08:44:08 PM

Still hanging on to my original pick of Imperial Agent. Any "educated opinons" on a sniper-IA? ninja2

The general feel is that sniper probably does the best PvE damage but PvP is a little weaker because the cover mechanic doesn't work so well in PvP. In PvP if you are left alone you can rack up the damage like mad, but if people close in on you, and some have the ability to close in on you in an instant, you die. So I guess a bit of a glass cannon.

The melee Imperial Agent is brutal in PvP, though. If one gets up on my sorcerer (a lot of times in Huttball you have Empire vs. Empire because not enough people queue), I'm either dead or running back to my teammates for help.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: October 14, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 14, 2011, 09:49:33 PM

Quote from: Arclight on October 14, 2011, 08:44:08 PM

The general feel is that sniper probably does the best PvE damage but PvP is a little weaker because the cover mechanic doesn't work so well in PvP. In PvP if you are left alone you can rack up the damage like mad, but if people close in on you, and some have the ability to close in on you in an instant, you die. So I guess a bit of a glass cannon.

The melee Imperial Agent is brutal in PvP, though. If one gets up on my sorcerer (a lot of times in Huttball you have Empire vs. Empire because not enough people queue), I'm either dead or running back to my teammates for help.

Good stuff. Yeah I wouldn't expect to have high damage AND high survivability in PvP. The fun for me with a class like IA-sniper in PvP will be learning it as you go. 

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 15, 2011, 12:24:51 AM »

Quote from: skystride on October 14, 2011, 09:08:51 PM

Has there been any discussion on which side will be chosen if there is going to be a GT guild?

I vote Imperial, since the Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent and (maybe, depending on whether Claudia Black is really doing the voice work) Sith Warrior are the most interesting classes to me.

I would also join a GT guild, as the game seems to be getting a lot more attention here than on OO.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 15, 2011, 12:42:18 AM »

Some fairly big news and a web site update of note, and a new game trailer....

Dec. 20 Now Launch Date for Both North America and Europe (Yoda help us all!)
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9941519#edit9941519
Quote from: Bioware
Today BioWare and LucasArts are excited to announce that the new global launch date for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will be December 20th, 2011. Updating from previously announced plans, the release will now be simultaneous in North American and European launch territories!
At least people at the official forums will have one less thing to kvetch about.  icon_smile

Trailer: Signs of War (no, they're not talking about people fighting for testing spots  smirk)
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/signs-war
*Supposedly some of the gameplay footage is from open PvP zone stuff.

HD version of Signs of War Trailer at Gametrailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/signs-of-star-wars/722324

Operations (raids) Information Page at Official Site:
http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/operations
Operations in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ are large-scale multi-group missions where you will join your Republic or Imperial allies to confront the most dangerous threats in the galaxy. Each story-driven Operation is available to both factions and is designed to challenge groups of either eight or sixteen players to use their skills, wits, and teamwork to ensure that they successfully complete the mission while still being accessible to newcomers to the genre.
*NOTE: You probably already have seen some of this info in previous trade show videos etc., but this is apparently new in terms of an official site page about it.

Hmmm, I missed this part. I'd been squeaking about wanting some sort of difficulty slider for instances...
Each Operation will also have variable difficulty settings, meaning that even after you’ve mastered it, you can choose to increase the difficulty level for a greater challenge.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:43:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 15, 2011, 03:46:32 AM »

Combing through some of the MMO news sites for some bits (certainly not all new info, but some maybe) from NY Comic-Con...

Three Intriguing Nuggets of Info Out of NYCC (they actually hosted the Q&A that TTH refers to below btw)
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/news/read/22242/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Three-Intriguing-Nuggets-of-Info-Out-of-NYCC.html
During NY Comicon today, the team behind Star Wars: The Old Republic announced a new operation/raid that will involve the Hutts. At this point, the operation is unnamed.

The second interesting piece of information is the fact that SWTOR will be released WORLDWIDE on December 20th. Previously, the EU and NA regions had separate release dates.

Lastly, the SWTOR team revealed that spending points in the Light or Dark side will change the character's appearance.
No truth to the rumor that Dark side points make you look more like George Lucas himself. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  retard

NYCC Q&A Panel
http://swtor.tentonhammer.com/swtor-news/nycc-qa-panel/
* Big moments from KOTOR will make an appearance in the game.
    * Mods in place to keep aesthetically pleasing items longer. Wide variety of item mods.
    * Dual Speccing being looked at for post-launch.
    * Large team dedicated to thwarting gold farmers.
    * No light side appearance changes, only change is when falling to the dark side.
    * Actions during class story line affect the outcome.
    * No guild leveling at launch. Most likely soon after.
    * Racial abilities at launch, not likely to affect choice.
    * Not a sandbox game.
    * Limited UI customization at launch, more planned.
    * No plans for Mac version, promise to make sure it runs well with bootcamp.
Nothing I read makes me worry per se. It's just getting a wee bit concerning how many things get labeled "not at launch, "limited at launch," "won't ship" etc. Though I realize, "hey, we're 7 weeks out, it's too late to promise anything significant we don't already have in there."
===========

Aaaaand if you really wanna dig into this NYCC Q&A panel stuff, Darth Hater has both a highlights video with some glimpses of footage shown at the event and a painfully detailed transcript-style live blog of it:
http://darthhater.com/2011/10/14/nycc-2011-main-panel-live-blog/
*In case you don't feel like combing through the haystack, some things that jumped out at muwah. I bolded anything that seemed especially newsworthy...
2:50: Reid explains that the team at BioWare Austin is 100% commited to SWTOR. Cory Butler introduction - Live services dedicated to keeping tor running. Thousands playing right now in North America and Europe 4.8 million hours logged by testers.
=============================
2:53: Daniel Erickson: 15 is the number of flashpoints players will be able to experience at launch. Each one of these flashpoints are tightly scripted dungeons. [Hmmm, I would've thought there'd be an even number, like 7 per Faction? Maybe there's one that both sides can do?-bj]
=============================
2:57: Handed off to Reid, explaining operations, hard modes allow for end game ones. Screenshot of new operation, Hutt, neutral. Screenshot will be up on the website later today.

2:59: James Ohlen: PVP Warzones at launch - 3. Information on Voidstar, Satele Shan introducing it, video. Voidstar is inspired by Episode 4, objective based, each side gets a turn attacking (Assault type), clips being shown. Four objective points.
==============================
3:03: James Ohlen talking about starship fleets as social locations. Fleets are the main launch point for flashpoints, auctions, and best vendors. The collectors edition gives access to the VIP area in the fleet.
3:10: Question: NDA lift date? Answer: There is a date. [Is that really an answer?-bj smirk]
3:10: Question: Is there a dungeon finder? Answer: James Ohlen: Works for established games, not in yet.
3:15: James Ohlen: Visual change of morality paths is in. [I think that's what mmorpg.meant by light/dark side choices affecting your character's look-bj]. Staying away from morality locking abilities, maybe later. Don't want to gimp you.
3:16: Question: Minigames at launch? Daniel Erickson: Not at launch, maybe later. [I think they're unaware that most players on the forums refer to the on-rails space combat as a "minigame" (in a derogatory sense) and claim that Bioware refers to it as such-bj]
============================
3:19: Question: Player bounties? Ohlen: Not in for ship. [In case you were hoping your Bounty Hunter could hunt players-bj]
============================
3:24: Reid: We were at one point planning to announce the release date here, instead, here is a new game trailer. In-game footage with Satele narrating, in-game model of the Hope trooper shown. Ilum gameplay, large scale, open world PVP, video over, Reid back.
So, now we know there's at least 7 or so Flashpoints per Faction. So hopefully between that and the Heroic quests, the cries of "it's a single player game" might die down a little.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:31:34 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 15, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »

Flashpoints details from NY Comic Con panel video
OK, so it's pretty exciting there'll be 14 Flashpoints. Although I assumed that was split between the two factions, I could be wrong. More exciting is that each will have a Hard mode that unlocks at the end, so that you can replay all of them as endgame content.

It turns out Darth Hater's video has a lot more detail on it than its live blog (at least what I read), so I typed up some stuff from the video........
Quote from: Daniel Erickson at NYCC panel
(Talking about tester feedback) What they hear from testers is, 'We want more. More, more, more, more. more.' "Some of the objections were really good ones.

Basically, the way the game functions is we give you experience for everything you try to do. So people kept saying, 'I can just do my class content and level up, and then just do PVP and level all the way up if I want to. I can just do the space game in my class content and level all the way up if I want to. Why can't I do flashpoints, why can't I do that all the way through?'

So right now what we're telling you is that there will always be a Flashpoint of the appropriate level for you to go and do all the way through the leveling experience. [*audience applause*]

Other than that, one of the things we've done is we've made sure that all of the Flashpoints -- there are several Flashpoints that are just endgame Flashpoint. [garbled] All of the Flashpoints that you can do during the leveling experience also have a Hard Mode which will open up at the end so you can also do all of those as [garbled, I think it's "endgame"-bj] content.

What we've done with the new Flashpoints, based on feedback from testers, is some of the [new] Flashpoints are more narrative heavy, some are more action-puzzler heavy. So people who really like to replay pieces that are more straight action pieces, they've got those. And you've got the entire set of them at Level 50, so you can choose your favorite ones to run again and again.

We'll reveal details on all the Flashpoints as we get closer to launch."

Hutts Operations details from NY Comic Con panel video
Quote from: Daniel Erickson
There are Hutts, the third major power in the galaxy. Paying attention to the game. They are the neutral faction that can stay neutral because they could tip the balance either way. So as the game gets near the end, and both sides are really taking big chunks out of them, it makes sense that the most opportunistic group in the galaxy are going to make their move.
That's all they're saying about it now.  Should be a screenshot on the web site today.

There was lot about the Voidstar warzone, and I'll put a separate post here about it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:08:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 15, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

Voidstar PVP Warzone details from NY Comic Con panel video
Quote from: James Ohlen
[About the number "3" on the video screen] "I think that represents the number of PVP warzones in the game. There is the Ilum open war zone which I don't think I'm allowed to talk about.

So we've already announced two of the warzones: Alderaan Warzone and we have Hutball. So in Alderaan, the Republic and Empire are fighting Alderaan for control of a super laser that can turn the tide of the war.

Hutball is cool. Narsadawn [?, I probably misheard-bj], moon of Alderaan controlled by Hutts. Hutts there have Republic and Empire play game against each other for glory and credits. There players can play against people of own faction.

The third warzone we talk about it, back in April, it's called the Voidstar. We were making changes in it due to feedback. So we decided to go dark on it for many many months. Now we're going to give a glimpse of the Voidstar and talk about some gameplay mechanics. [A video demos talks about it being an abandoned Empire ship, and you can see several hanging Tie Fighter-ish looking spacecraft inside the hangars on it]

This starts up a classic scenario. We were inspired by Episode 4, the boarding action that starts off the entire Star Wars franchise. So that's what this warzone is about. You have Republic and Empire boarding a capital ship and trying to get an objective, a computer core with valuable information. So in the warzone, each side gets to play the role of the attacker.

And the attacker has to basically move from zone to zone of a capital ship and blow their way through bulkheads and [garbled].

So there are four separate locations on the ship. You have to get through each one of them. Even if you don't successfully get all the way to the core on the ship, the map will end, and it restarts with the opposite side having to do the same thing while the opposite team tries to stop them.

It really gives you that feel you saw from Episode 4 in New Hope. It's really doing well in testing. People are really excited by it. I think mainly because it evokes Star Wars in a way people are really excited about.

A few small screen capture glimpses of Darth Hater's pane video, some footage of this Warzone:

*Yellow glowie's detonation point for a bulkhead door you need to break through.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:26:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 15, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 15, 2011, 01:21:29 PM

Quote from: James Ohlen
It really gives you that feel you saw from Episode 4 in New Hope. It's really doing well in testing. People are really excited by it. I think mainly because it evokes Star Wars in a way people are really excited about.[/size]

Hah! That's a load of crap, lol. People almost unanimously dislike Voidstar. It's confusing. It's not reminiscent of Episode 4 at all. What you have is a door on the left and a door on the right. The defenders spawn in between the doors. The attackers have to "plant a bomb" on the door - you go up to the door and click on it. Then the defenders have to remove that bomb. If the bomb goes off, you move to the next section which is pretty much just like the first. Except you have to run a ways to get to the doors. But the defenders again have a spawn point right at the doors, so if the first door blows up, you just type /stuck and you respawn far ahead of where you would normally be, with no penalty. So you have 3 areas where there are 2 doors to attack/defend, and the last set of doors open to a final reactor or something that you have to click on and explode.

There's like a minute and a half setup between rounds. You actually take a speeder through the ship.

Overall it confuses the hell out of new people. Once you get past the confusion of it, it's not that bad. But it's not that good either.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 16, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

A couple tidbits from the Dev Tracker today, clarifying things that BJ mentioned earlier:

dark side corruption is an option that you're able to toggle on and off yourself.

we do plan on having "racial" abilities, but they will be cosmetic in nature. Think of them as "social" abilities or actions that your character is able to do based on their species. [...] we did not want it to influence your choice in the sense that you would feel "I have to be a Twi'lek Consular because they get +5 Willpower."

So those are non-features, more or less. I doubt I'll give a crap about the racial abilities. The dark side corruption may still be nice - I always did like my Shepards with the modestly-renegade scarring - depending on the quality of the artwork and how much it messes with my so elegantly created character portrait. slywink

- Ash
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 16, 2011, 03:51:46 PM »

dark side corruption is an option that you're able to toggle on and off yourself.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny!  Well, unless you flip this switch here.  Honestly I don't know why don't all use that switch. 
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 17, 2011, 02:37:30 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 16, 2011, 03:51:46 PM

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny!  Well, unless you flip this switch here.
That needs to be made into a comic asap with credit going to wonderpug.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 17, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »

I believe "Dark Side Corruption" makes you look like George Lucas, while "Light Side Glow" makes you look like Irvin Kershner (may he rest in peace).  smirk

While I don't think the game's animation is up to rendering a ride-able Taun-Taun (then again, the Taun-Tauns weren't animated/stop-motioned all that well in TESB to begin with  icon_razz), I remain hopeful because a Taun-Taun is in one of the environment videos. While I try to avoid nerd-rage, that's what I felt when one of the devs said something about "Why would you wanna ride a Taun-Taun anyway?" Gimmee a break, you wanna give us these stupid Segway-wannabe personal vehicles, but not the only thing that makes any sense as an animal mount in Star Wars? So yes, I felt nerd-rage coursing through my veins back then. icon_evil
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:27:28 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 17, 2011, 03:51:32 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 17, 2011, 02:37:30 AM

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny!  Well, unless you flip this switch here.

so that's what one of those doohickeys on Vaders chest did......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 17, 2011, 04:22:06 AM »

Still seriously hoping for a Boga Lizard myself. (from the biological mounts side of things... )

edit: damned thing was fast. probably level 60+ biggrin

Atomic
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 17, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2011, 03:51:32 AM

Quote from: Roguetad on October 17, 2011, 02:37:30 AM

so that's what one of those doohickeys on Vaders chest did......

It also explains the ending to Jedi...
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 18, 2011, 05:05:48 AM »

Just got my guy to 41 and I realized they've made a terrible decision in design: I have not seen a single republic player yet. This was obviously an intended design decision on their part - they do not want world pvp, apparently. The way they've designed the planets means that it's very unlikely you're going to cross paths with someone of the opposing faction. So there's really no reason whatsoever to have PvP and PvE server differentiation.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: