http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 126386 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: October 06, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 05, 2011, 09:24:49 PM

Those of you that got into beta, congratulations smile. If you're running an ATI video card, make sure to download the newest drivers (11.9 or 11.10b). If you have 11.8, there will be problems.
That reminds me, for the first time ever, that I recall, my system had a message on the desktop at startup the other day that new ATI drivers were available. Maybe it's a new Catalyst feature. Or is my Vista 64-bit system gradually becoming sentient?  paranoid Certainly Vista never prompted me like that before ever.

*Thanks for the drivers tip, am d/l now.  icon_smile

While we shouldn't talk about the test, we can talk about what classes we're most eager to play, right? Or, if you wanted to spend the weekend progressing as far as you can with one class, what that would be for you?

I'm really torn...
-I'm eager to see how the Smuggler cover-fire stuff works (or doesn't). Plus, well, when I was a scrawny little kid, how I'd fight if a bully or bullies were on me? I'd kick (preferably in the shins), I'd scratch, I'd claw, I'd pull hair. Sounds like a Smuggler, right?  icon_twisted

-Sure, I read the Imperial Agent has the most interesting storyline, so it's tempting to work through that.
-I'm so certain I'll find the two Jedi and two Sith classes fun, I'd be more inclined to explore the Trooper & Smuggler, and the Imperial Agent & Bounty Hunter classes (or, just one of those) with the limited time this weekend.

I still find the John Woo double-gun stuff somewhat strange looking when I watch videos, so I think I'd be inclined to steer my Smuggler towards Scoundrel. And I got so tired of the "Weed Eater" under-slung heavy weapons in STO (though the recent ground combat upgrade switched most of those to regular looking rifles), that might steer my Trooper towards Vanguard for that shallow, cosmetic reason (Vanguards seem to use more typical rifles).  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:55:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 06, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »

I plan on starting out with a smuggler.  I figure the force users are pretty much a given, Ill play one at the very least as an alt but Im interested in the play style and mechanics of the smuggler and this will give me an opportunity to try one out before release.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 06, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 05, 2011, 09:24:49 PM

Those of you that got into beta, congratulations smile. If you're running an ATI video card, make sure to download the newest drivers (11.9 or 11.10b). If you have 11.8, there will be problems.

Thanks for the advice,  I have ATI so I am downloading the drivers in advance.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »

Good call Cheeba - downloding new ATI drivers got rid of a A LOT of flickering I had.

thumbsup

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 07, 2011, 12:30:14 AM »

This thread is getting worse by the day.  crybaby

I need to go check my email again.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 07, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »

To get away from our cryptic test talk, check out some tidbits from Bioware writer Charles Boyd, lead writer for the Trooper class (I had trouble pulling this link up earlier, I think maybe the site's getting more traffic than they're used to, due to some mentions at Ten Ton Hammer):

*NOTE: A little of this seems spoiler-ish imho (though the interviewee pledges "no spoilers"), so if you'd rather wait for launch or testing to learn more about the Trooper's history and background, you maybe wanna skip this link.

Bioware’s Charles Boyd Shares Intel About The Story Of The Trooper
http://www.republictrooper.com/2011/09/20/biowares-charles-boyd-shares-intel-about-the-story-of-the-trooper/
Republic Trooper: Are there any particular sources that you drew inspiration from for the Trooper Storyline?

Charles Boyd: There are too many to name! Like the Star Wars films, the Trooper’s storyline developed from a variety of inspirations: war films, political thrillers, military science fiction, and a lot of “one man army” action movies. Hopefully fans of those kinds of stories will find a lot to like in the Trooper, and hopefully we’ll win over a few new fans as well!

RT: When compared with the other class storylines how high is the surprise factor throughout the Trooper story arc?

CB: Troopers constantly face unexpected situations and complications as they carry out their missions for the Republic, including some really big surprises that will change everything for the Player. That said, giant plot twists aren’t as much of a focus for the Trooper as they are for other classes like Imperial Agent, Sith Inquisitor, or Jedi Consular, who spend more time uncovering the many mysteries of the galaxy.

RT: Are you guys already writing further storyline for post-launch content?

CB: We are! MMOs are “living” games and it’s important to us to continue providing new and exciting story content for our players soon after the game launches.
RT: Are there any storyline differences based on a Trooper’s Advanced Class choice?

CB: In order to encourage players to choose the Advanced Class that they most enjoyed, we decided not to have any storyline impact based on that choice. We wouldn’t want people to feel obligated to choose a play style they don’t like in order to see a particular story segment.
================

Also worth checking out from 1 and 2 weeks ago are a couple exclusive Darth Hater interviews...

Interview w/ lead writer Daniel Erickson:
http://darthhater.com/2011/09/24/egxp-interview-with-daniel-erickson/
Some interesting stuff about companions:
Speaking of giving things to the companions, you released a developer video talking about companions in specific. And they were talking about adding the ability to change the look of the companion. Can you go a little bit more into that or how that works?

This was a hugely demanded feature from testing. People loved the companions, loved playing with them, loved the stuff. They really got antsy when they ran into other people that had their same companion. It is actually a kit so you can switch them out, and you can get more of them. Some of them are going in different vendors. Some of them can be done from quest stuff. There might be some that come from crafting, and other interesting things.

And you can drop a kit on and give a completely different look to your companion. So if you want to do a sort of theme for all your companions, if you guys all want to be rocking out and sort of that same feel, you can. If you just decide, "Hey, I've had enough of this particular look," or you don't like that too many people are using it, whatever. Or you just think, "Hey, I love the personality, but that's not my idea of what my hot love interest should look like," well, update.
When we spoke two years ago, kits were used for changing abilities and how your companions work. One thing mentioned in the recent video was that there are five basic types of companions and every character will get these five, but they'll just get them in different order based on what the characters are. So what are the five different types of companions?

I am not Georg Zoeller, so this is not final and all of this might change. I believe it is: ranged tank, melee tank, ranged DPS, melee DPS, and healer. That is what makes sense running through them in my mind. That doesn't mean there are only five companions; it means everyone's going to get those roles covered. There are some companions that actually can cover more than one role in some situations. There are some fairly interesting companions that can go different directions.

You mentioned the companion kits that used to be in there. Those are gone because companions now have full classes. They go up in levels, and they get new skills. You can turn those skills on and off to actually run your own little AI programs for them. You can decide to have your companion bar up and use their entire bar of skills personally yourself just like extra skills.

We went away from the "Hey, here's a guy with a couple powers that you can switch one of them out," to "Here is a fully developed, complete character," because we finally got the tech to let you not have to worry about them if you didn't want to.

Right now I'm running a tank Inquisitor, and when I use a DPS guy, I don't want him doing AOE damage. I'm trying to keep aggro on me especially if I'm running Heroics [I believe this is the lingo for quests recommending two players-bj]. I like to try to do the two man Heroics by myself, and that's my excitement. I'm always like, "Ooh, it is a two man! I can do that!" So I really don't want him pulling agro, and I'll go through his stuff as if to say, "Yeah, do all your big things, but don't do this." But maybe I'll go ahead and keep his AOE piece just in case I want to fire it off in a particular situation.
He also mentions companions are class-specific. So if the Bounty Hunter has a companion you find adorable, you'll presumably have to suck it up and play a BH if you want that one.  icon_smile

Interview w/ senior online community manager Stephen Reid:
http://darthhater.com/2011/09/22/eurogamer-expo-2011-interview-with-stephen-reid/
Quote from: Stephen Reid
We really appreciate everybody's patience. Try to be patient with us. The sky is not falling. The game is not falling to pieces and we are not having problems. We are proceeding as we planned, and we are heading towards launch. That is the ultimate goal. Everyone is really heads down, the studio is very focused on ironing out and polishing and getting the final bugs out of the system, and squeezing in maybe the occasional last minute feature. Small stuff.

We mentioned a couple of things already; Damion had a couple of things that he mentioned in an interview recently. They are very small things right now; we are not squeezing in a new combat system or something before launch. Everybody is really focused on getting to the finish line. It was a long, long process and it is going to take a little longer, but it is a lot closer than it ever was.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:05:13 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 07, 2011, 03:26:03 AM »

for those who got in for the weekend test, theres a thread in the forums authored by the last group of testers called  "A few FAQ and useful tips from the 1020"  It gives a whole lot of very useful information on playing the game.

Tips like "if you get a black screen on log in, wait it out.  There will be a fairly large delay the first time you log in. It could literally be upwards around five minutes, but it's important that you just leave your PC alone and let it do it's thing. There were several reports that screwing around with keys and clicks made the game crash. Just be patient."

Theres quite a bit of very useful info there and it will make your experience smoother.  Check it out.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: October 07, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »

The companion system "custom A.I." that Bioware keeps talking about is reminiscent of what NCSoft did with Guild Wars:Nightfall, for anyone who played that.  I'm not far enough in to the game to see how advanced it gets later on, but in the late teens at least, it is similar (as it relates to combat).

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:43:57 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: October 07, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

2 questions:

1. Is Origins an ok place to buy this from?

2. If I pre order it now (from Origins), will I be charged the full amount now? Or when it is released?

ok, one more question....since I am here asking.

I just pre ordered through gamestop, but, they are out of the pre order codes (I guess). If I cancelled my pre order through them (to pre order through Origin, for example), is it possible to cancel a pre order that is an MMO? I have never cancelled any pre orders before. Do I get my 5 dollars down payment back? Might be stupid questions, but I worked 3rd shift last night, and too tired to go search for the answers at the moment, so hopefully someone will take pity on me and answer.

Thanks

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: October 07, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on October 07, 2011, 04:02:25 PM

1. Is Origins an ok place to buy this from?
Origins is required to play and, I believe, the only way you can buy it digitally. I haven't heard of anyone having any kind of purchasing problems with Origins.

2. If I pre order it now (from Origins), will I be charged the full amount now? Or when it is released?
Think you get charged $5 now and the rest on release, if I'm interpreting their FAQ correctly.

ok, one more question....since I am here asking.

I just pre ordered through gamestop, but, they are out of the pre order codes (I guess). If I cancelled my pre order through them (to pre order through Origin, for example), is it possible to cancel a pre order that is an MMO? I have never cancelled any pre orders before. Do I get my 5 dollars down payment back?

Yes, though they'll really, really want you to just move your $5 to a preorder for a different game.

Thanks

Chris
[/quote]

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: October 07, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »

Just a reminder that Bioware assures that while you d/l digital purchase of the game from Origins, any updating/patching is done directly through Bioware's own launcher. You won't have to run Origin in the background to launch the game. Folks may learn to hate Bioware's launcher for entirely different reasons, but if you're concerned Origins is Evil Incarnate, you won't have to deal with it after the initial digital purchase.

Also, Origin and SWTOR.com use the same password, afik. So if you change one of those, try not to panic when the password at the other no longer works ... which happened to me twice.  icon_lol icon_redface

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: October 07, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

Fun Jedi Knight vs. Bounty Hunter video feature:
http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111007
From the moment that we announced the eight classes in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ fans have been pitting them against each other, arguing who would have the advantage in a one-on-one fight. The hallways of BioWare echo this debate, with the writers, combat designers and other developers all chiming in on which class they feel reigns supreme.

In our new video series “Choose Your Side,” members of the Star Wars: The Old Republic team plead their cases, highlighting only a few of the many skills and abilities that set their class apart from the rest. In the first video of the four-part series, two of the most iconic classes in the Star Wars™ universe stand toe-to-toe as the famed Jedi Knight squares off against the feared Bounty Hunter.
*PVPers should find this video series especially enlightening.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:01:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: October 07, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »

Quote from: ericb on October 06, 2011, 05:01:52 AM

I got plenty of fake invites (Diablo III too) but no real ones.

Wait... They were fake? What about the free epic mount for WOW and the warnings that I am getting about selling my non-existent WOW account?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: October 07, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on October 07, 2011, 05:15:22 PM

Wait... They were fake? What about the free epic mount for WOW and the warnings that I am getting about selling my non-existent WOW account?

We taked back the frei epik mouhnt and closeing your non existunt account becase you did not reiply to aur e-mayils.  If this acctiun, wus in errer, plese go to blizzrad.hack

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: October 07, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »

You think you don't have a WoW account, but do you really know that for sure?  paranoid icon_smile

I'm more curious how a Smuggler battles, say, a Sith Warrior. Do I kick him in the nuts, or her in the shins? Toss some insults? Throw some Tatooine dust in the face? Sabotage their light saber? Give him a wedgie? Pull their robe hood over their face and kick 'em in the rump? I'm sure it involves scatterguns, gadgets and blasting, just curious how I get my blasts by someone who can block everything and toss me around like a marionette puppet just by waving their hands.  confused
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:01:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: October 07, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 07, 2011, 06:56:43 PM

You think you don't have a WoW account, but do you really know that for sure?  paranoid icon_smile

I'm more curious how a Smuggler battles, say, a Sith Warrior. Do I kick him in the nuts, or her in the shins? Toss some insults? Throw some Tatooine dust in the face? Sabotage their light saber? Give him a wedgie? Pull their robe hood over their face and kick 'em in the rump? I'm sure it involves scatterguns, gadgets and blasting, just curious how I get my blasts by someone who can block everything and toss me around like a marionette puppet just by waving their hands.  confused

Obviously you havent been paying attention,  it appears that the smugglers "Stealth Wedgie" is already wreaking havoc amoungst the force users and will be nerfed next patch.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: October 07, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

An-tic-i-paaaaation, it's maaaaking me wait... it's keeping me waaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiii-ting...

Playing
PC
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: October 07, 2011, 09:47:34 PM »

That bounty hunter jedi kinght video was funny.

Jedi Knight (hand wave):   You will put your weapons down and surrender   

Bounty Hunter:  You will realize what an idiot you are.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1578 on: October 07, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »

Video??

BTW, you guys get to play in 7 min.  I have to wait until nearly midnight 'cause I"m at work. :p
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: October 07, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on October 07, 2011, 09:54:00 PM

Video??

BTW, you guys get to play in 7 min.  I have to wait until nearly midnight 'cause I"m at work. :p
He meant Bioware's Jedi Knight vs. Bounty Hunter video feature: icon_smile
http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111007

I probably won't get to login until 7:45-8 p.m. ish.

Someone maybe posted this earlier, but there was a 2nd feature on the Companion AI, delving more into the flexibility of it:

Companion Characters Update - Part 2
http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20111007
Originally, our companions functioned almost entirely on their own, with only a few options for manual control. From both internal feedback and testing, we found that the integral nature of companions to gameplay in The Old Republic™ had many players wishing for more control over their companion’s behavior – they wanted more than what they had experienced in other massively-multiplayer games.

To address this, we’ve taken a page from other BioWare games and added AI toggles to each ability to control whether the companion should decide on their own when to use them, or whether they should be manually activated by the player. Players who are not interested in managing their companion can leave the default toggles on and let them run on autopilot. Skilled players can take complete control of the companion by expanding the companion bar onto their screen and using the abilities directly as though they were player abilities.

Many players will fall somewhere in between the two extremes, and will use the AI toggles occasionally to change the way their companion fights:

Players may choose to disable some area-of-effect abilities when using crowd control or when fighting tough single enemies.
    Players may activate special modes or stances for their companion, causing them to focus more on damage or tanking, or on a single target versus groups of enemies.
    Players may want to manually activate buffs and powerful special abilities on long cooldowns, as opposed to letting the companion pick when to use their most powerful attacks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:08:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: October 07, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »

All this goodie goodie I feel great isn't life great schtick is getting on my wick..............Go play your beta's its not bothering me one bit I'm not in..nope, I don't want it to spoil my experience when it goes live....Yep, I'm probably better off all round not playing my most anticipated MMO in years..pish...bah.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: October 07, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »

That video was great!  Yeah, it's probably mostly marketing hype - but I still thought it was fun to watch the banter.

LD

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: October 08, 2011, 01:02:48 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 07, 2011, 11:34:42 PM

All this goodie goodie I feel great isn't life great schtick is getting on my wick..............Go play your beta's its not bothering me one bit I'm not in..nope, I don't want it to spoil my experience when it goes live....Yep, I'm probably better off all round not playing my most anticipated MMO in years..pish...bah.

This is Canadian Thanksgiving, so I have the next three days off, and I just finished a 65 hour work week. You have no idea how much I would like to reward myself with a long weekend of SWTOR "testing" -- but, alas, I am in the same invite-less boat that you are.

My only consolation is that, inferring from the number of people here who have now been invited, they must be doing some fairly large-scale testing at this point, so I'm telling myself that my odds of getting in next time must be really good.

- Ash
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: October 08, 2011, 01:53:05 AM »

iTS A CANADIAN CONSPIRACY...  Beta-less in Wasaga Beach, Ontario    disgust

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: October 08, 2011, 02:22:29 AM »

Wait ... they have beaches in Canada?  saywhat

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: October 08, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »

played most of the night,  I had no log in issues and the game was amazingly stable.  Never crashed or lost connection. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1586 on: October 08, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »

Had one awesome bug happen, but o therwise, great sauce.  My inner geek is going "Squee!"
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: October 08, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »

Forgive me for being mushy (and perhaps naive), but I think most of us are sharing our excitement because we want to share that good news with friends, not because we want to rub your nose in it.  icon_smile My hope is everyone here who hopes to test it gets in at some point, even if just for a weekend. If I finally got in, then anyone can finally get in soon imho.

And then once head start/launch happens (assuming we all remain interested in the game), maybe we can compare notes about our initial experiences then.  icon_cool
==============================
Here's what I think I can get away with saying:

*Smuggler? Cover fire? Light sabers? Getting more abilities at L7 than I sometimes get in MMOs by L30?  thumbsup High five!

*There may be a Smuggler with my name running around the PVE server that's a one-word title (I just don't know my Star Wars lore enough to remember the server names very well). Keep an eye out for him.  icon_smile

*I did suffer some queasiness after a few hours. Nothing like my well-documented FPS motion sickness issues, but I did have to cut my play short last night (I was still playing til 2 a.m. or so). No reflection on the game, I sometimes have trouble even with 3rd person games (Just Cause 2 and Red Faction: Guerilla for example). Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:57:56 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: October 08, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »

dev Zoeller had a long post clarifying a post he had seen translated from English-to-German-to-English and mangling the details. Very interesting stuff...

Class Design Philosophy (Georg re-post)
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9672671#edit9672671
Because the Dev Tracker is a bit wonky again and doesn't show my post, and because translating my English post to German and then back to English isn't producing the most reliable results (Oh god, they did what???), here's the Class Design Philosophy post again, in original source:
================================
"Just to chime in about our class design philosophy here. We've explained this a number of times already during development, but now that we've been running large scale testing for a while and have solidified a lot of the design, I think it's time to explain what we're doing and why.

In regards to class roles, we do things differently than some other games which people might be used to. That creates some anxiety and questions, so let me explain.

Of Class, Advanced Class, Roles.
Unlike other games where you pick a class and that defines your role, class in Star Wars: The Old Republic defines your overall story, your possible roles and your visual style / gameplay style (e.g. Force user vs. Tech user).

Due to the nature of the Advanced Class system, every character starts out in a DPS role at the start of the game, and they're about equally good at it.

By the time you reach level 10, you get to make your choice for Advanced Class, which narrows down which roles you could play, and yes, some Advanced Classes (Gunslinger / Sniper / Marauder / Sentinel) only have damage type roles available, while other Advanced Classes have access to two roles (e.g damage or healing).

What actually defines your role in our game, in terms of traditional MMO gaming, is how you distribute points in your skill trees. Specialize in the 'Combat Medic' tree and become a healer, specialize in the 'Vengeance tree' and become a DPS character.

By spending that first skill point at level 10, you start developing your character into whatever role you want them to play in the long term. Since it's your skill choices that define your role, it is a gradual process. You don't become a healer at level 10 or 11, you're growing into becoming a healer over many levels.

Our content is designed around that. The first Flashpoint assumes the group has only DPS roles. Even if you bring a healer, he'll have only a single heal available at that level as he has just begun his journey into his role, so there isn't too much of a spread in balance.

Over time, the game becomes more firm in the roles it requires for content like Flashpoints, but additional tools like companions still make it more flexible than many other MMOs in regards to what group mix can run group content.

That progression is quite different from how your characters work in other games, and we've certainly seen our share of people being surprised by it in testing ("I just took the Sage Advanced Class, but I don't feel like I'm a great healer").

Hybrids
Ultimately we don't do hybrid roles. You can do them (by mixing different skill trees), but by design, all our classes are meant to be fully capable in the roles they fill. The 'hybrid' tax would be the fact that you won't be able to get the top tier talents in one skill tree if you spread yourself too thin into others.

At high level, all roles have the same capabilities, in our game all healers are 'main healers' provided they are specced accordingly, etc.

Common Questions
So, what's the point of playing an AC that has only DPS options available?

That is a question you have to answer for yourself.

In a traditional fantasy MMO, if you play a thief or a wizard, you're locked to one role as well, so it's the added role flexibility that SWTOR brings to the table that is giving you second thoughts. I would look at it like this:

If you really like the flexibility of non DPS roles and feel comfortable with taking on other roles, you might want to play an AC that has that option available.
    If you know you only enjoy DPS roles in a game (and based on our research, a sizable faction of players falls under that umbrella), a DPS only AC means you will get a three different styles of dps gameplay to select from.

So why do we do this? Why not go for a 'this Advanced Class only can DPS and therefore they are the best at it' approach?

Because we want people to pick the class they want to play and reduce the likelihood of them getting told 'sorry, can't participate in this group because we want only the best DPS in game - that is a Gunslinger'.
    Likewise, we don't want the fact that a specific tank or healer AC is not available at a time from becoming a stopping point for getting on with your group content.

The truth is, not everyone is comfortable playing every role and shouldn't be expected to.

Players, as they get more familiar with the game, will no doubt find interesting ways of proving the superiority of a specific specialization in a specific situation, that's expected. With different gameplay styles and utility come different strength and weaknesses.

Should things outside our comfort zone be discovered in testing or after launch (e.g. Operations ending up requiring that one specific healer AC because they are deemed 'the absolute best and a must'), we will adjust the game accordingly. We want player skill to be deciding factor in your choices, not which class they picked hundreds of hours ago. That's pretty standard for MMOs.

TL;DR [mmm, not sure what this means? BJ]

Q: 'Why would I play a DPS only Advanced Class if I can play an Advanced Class that can respec to fill other roles?'
A: If that is your main concern, you shouldn't play that Advanced Class, because you are going to be unhappy about the fact that you cannot switch roles.

Q: Since I can only fill a DPS role, I should do the absolute best damage in the game!
A: Not in SWTOR. We give you get more variety in your DPS gameplay. We maintain balance between all ACs that can fill a role.

Q: What ever happened to being 5% better thing for pure DPS classes?
A: Given class utility and other considerations of why you might want to have someone in your group, 5% is not considered 'significant' for the purpose of this conversation.

I hope this clears things up a bit. I'm sure there'll be plenty of different and, of course, dissenting opinions on this topic, but at least everyone will be on the same page as what our design goals are in this situation and how we approach balancing classes."

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: October 08, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 08, 2011, 11:46:33 AM

Forgive me for being mushy (and perhaps naive), but I think most of us are sharing our excitement because we want to share that good news with friends, not because we want to rub your nose in it.  icon_smile My hope is everyone here who hopes to test it gets in at some point, even if just for a weekend. If I finally got in, then anyone can finally get in soon imho.

And then once head start/launch happens (assuming we all remain interested in the game), maybe we can compare notes about our initial experiences then.  icon_cool
==============================
Here's what I think I can get away with saying:

*Smuggler? Cover fire? Light sabers? Getting more abilities at L7 than I sometimes get in MMOs by L30?  thumbsup High five!

*There may be a Smuggler with my name running around the PVE server that's a one-word title (I just don't know my Star Wars lore enough to remember the server names very well). Keep an eye out for him.  icon_smile

*I did suffer some queasiness after a few hours. Nothing like my well-documented FPS motion sickness issues, but I did have to cut my play short last night (I was still playing til 2 a.m. or so). No reflection on the game, I sometimes have trouble even with 3rd person games (Just Cause 2 and Red Faction: Guerilla for example). Sigh.

Ahem, I was joking mate...There you go again, needing smiley faces to convey the subtlety of a back-handed joke... icon_wink slywink icon_eek icon_lol icon_razz thumbsup

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: October 08, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »

I want to try this but 30 gigs seems like a big download for just a weekend.  Especially since i did nto see the mail until this morning  icon_neutral.  I wihs more companies took the Guild Wars approach to this and downloaded/streamed only what you presently needed to play and not everything in one shot.

morlac00 on PSN
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 08, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »

30 gigs is big but I will say the download was remarkable quick.  I averaged around 1.35 mb/sec and was done in around 4-4.5 hours.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:09 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 08, 2011, 05:20:51 PM

30 gigs is big but I will say the download was remarkable quick.  I averaged around 1.35 mb/sec and was done in around 4-4.5 hours.

Same Actually.  Wasn't bad at all. quick observation..... eek  This game will make boat loads of money.

morlac00 on PSN
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 09, 2011, 02:42:12 AM »

I'm so confused by that Dev chat that Blackjack posted. So does that mean that groups won't need the holy trinity of tank-heal-dps? I do prefer DPS, but in every MMO i've ever played, their has always been an overabundance of dps and a shortage of tanks and healers. I don't see how SWTOR can do it differently?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 09, 2011, 03:23:16 AM »

Quote from: Jag on October 09, 2011, 02:42:12 AM

I'm so confused by that Dev chat that Blackjack posted. So does that mean that groups won't need the holy trinity of tank-heal-dps? I do prefer DPS, but in every MMO i've ever played, their has always been an overabundance of dps and a shortage of tanks and healers. I don't see how SWTOR can do it differently?
I understood it as it's not important until the later flashpoints, because they (early to mid game flashpoints?) are designed around groups consisting of all dps or leveling advanced characters that haven't fully realized the potential of their chosen specialization. 
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 09, 2011, 05:49:59 AM »

It's not as important but it's still there. The thing with this game is, advanced classes can fill 2 roles. The sorcerer can spec into dps or healing, for example. In most instances, a dps-spec'd sorcerer can heal an instance just fine. But the healing is absolutely still necessary. You're not going to want to do an instance without someone who has at least some healing ability.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 09, 2011, 06:38:57 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 08, 2011, 02:22:29 AM

Yes, but instead of beaches of white sand, they have beaches of white snow. Instead of roaring waves, they have sliding ice. Instead of beached whales they get beached Moose (Mooses?)... anyway, you get the idea.... Plus, all the freezing cold probably slows down their bandwidth anyway...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 09, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »

Hang on to your hat.......but here's a fact I bet you didn't know...Wasaga-Beach is the largest FRESH water beach in the WORLD. 
And we're darned proud of that...(at least us beachers are)  icon_razz Tongue nod

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 09, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 09, 2011, 09:38:53 AM

Hang on to your hat.......but here's a fact I bet you didn't know...Wasaga-Beach is the largest FRESH water beach in the WORLD. 
And we're darned proud of that...(at least us beachers are)  icon_razz Tongue nod

It appears you are correct!  In fact here are pictures of Canadians frolicking on that very beach, in the mid August sun.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 09, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »

I'm good at the "confusing people" thing.  smirk

The idea is everybody is good DPS out of the box. You make your advanced class choice at L10 or so (could be later if you grind around the starter area longer than you need to), and that's when you can start developing healing stuff if you want to (including Smuggler>Scoundrel for example). So in the early flashpoint Esseles (seen in Bioware's videos a while back), I wouldn't worry about hawking for a healer (you'll probably want some sort of Jedi type to pseudo-tank, though I don't think anyone early has a taunt, per se). Just get a full group (4) -- or let the companions fill out empty slots if you only have 2 or 3 players -- and go.  icon_smile

From what I've read, you'll get your first companion shortly before access to that first Flashpoint. So, if you can only find one bud to team with, your respective companions will fill the two slots. If you get 4 players (max team size, except for later raids), then no companions come along.

You're right, Arclight, I'm lost without smiley cues.  icon_redface Anyway, I'm sure you'll get in soon. Arguably, you might be better off getting in closer to launch -- maybe there'll be some new features/stuff then. Like they said in the Companion blog posts, they've made some notable changes/additions directly in response to tester feedback.

Maybe some feedback I've submitted this weekend will drastically change the game for the better! .... Nah. I doubt they'll listen to my suggestion to add a Jar-Jar Binks class as a starter area enemy. There'd be this overlapping "Kill 60 200 Jar-Jar Binks" hunt quest. Just THINK how popular it would be!  icon_twisted icon_razz
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:15:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: