http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:17:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 128358 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: September 19, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »

...what are you referring to, Arclight?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: September 20, 2011, 12:29:34 AM »

Lately the thread themes in the general forum are mostly about....is swtor loosing it's appeal.....have you given up on swtor?....has the hyped died down because people don't care anymore...on and on it goes...

The mods are very active shutting this down, locking that up, banning him, warning her. nod icon_smile

It's almost like a kids game, where you pretend you don't care hoping the other guy will try harder to please you....sorry I should have been more explicit in my first post.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 20, 2011, 03:28:16 AM »

If we judge the success of an MMO based on its forums then WoW should've failed a long time ago slywink

It is interesting though it seems like SWTOR, more than most MMO's I can think of recently, has a lot of people wanting it to fail.  So many doom predictions out there.  I wonder what it is about this particular MMO that seems to be drawing more early hate?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:34:06 AM by faide » Logged

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 20, 2011, 03:40:03 AM »

I think it says a lot about how much people care when they loudly declare how they do not care anymore.  icon_wink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 20, 2011, 04:36:58 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on September 20, 2011, 03:40:03 AM

I think it says a lot about how much people care when they loudly declare how they do not care anymore.  icon_wink
I think people care about the genre, and it's painful to see another 'failure' to them
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 21, 2011, 06:43:35 AM »

The latest chicken little impetus was apparently an EA investor conference call noting a "slight possibility that it could slip to our March quarter" (i.e., first quarter 2012). Even if that happened, to me that just shows EA has patience and won't (or perhaps can't) force Bioware to make a premature release if they don't think it's ready. Wouldn't Cryptic (on Champions and STO) or Funcom (on Age of Conan) have killed for that kind of publisher patience? And if they take longer like that, it'd seemingly increase the chances I'd finally get to help test the game before launch (selfishly speaking).

The community rep has a long "we keep telling you investor calls are for investors, not for gamers" post about it:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9260473#edit9260473

I'm so used to MMOs launching metaphorically like cruise ships sliding into a harbor when the hull is still full of holes, that it would almost shock me if that wasn't the case with SWTOR.

fwiw, when I've visited the WoW forums over the years, it's one of the nastiest places imaginable (I found it tough to ever find any useful info there, given the "noise level"). To some extent, that almost seems the price of success. If you have a quiet, well-behaved official forum where moderators have nothing to do, it probably means not many people are interested in the game. I've been a fan of many obscure a game (MMO and otherwise) where you could tell from the quietness at the forum that it was another "niche game Blackjack likes."  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 20, 2011, 04:36:58 AM

Quote from: Vidiot on September 20, 2011, 03:40:03 AM

I think people care about the genre, and it's painful to see another 'failure' to them

Yes but the actual everyday gamer that has managed to get into the beta is glowing and loves it.  It's all I hear in general chat in just about every other MMO I've played.  While you can't discount the very vocal forum gamer (look at wow) TOR is going to be a huge monster hit and will probably rocket to second place without even trying.

I'm looking forward to it but I don't consider it the second coming of MMOs.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 21, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

Quote from: ericb on September 21, 2011, 11:24:24 AM

Yes but the actual everyday gamer that has managed to get into the beta is glowing and loves it.

I wouldn't say that's the case at all. I would say some beta testers have expressed some pretty strong disappointments, such as how closely the game clones WoW as well as it being a single-player MMO. Hypothetically smile.

Btw, the Guild Alignment system is now up, allowing guilds to ally/enemy 3 guilds.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 21, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 21, 2011, 06:43:35 AM

I've been a fan of many obscure a game (MMO and otherwise) where you could tell from the quietness at the forum that it was another "niche game that Blackjack bought a lifetime subscription for"icon_smile

FTFY
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 23, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »

So "Beta Testing Weekends" in September turned out to be...one, and a small scale one at that.

Colour me unimpressed by that particular bit of marketing hoopla. Yes, I'm sure they'll eventually do more and let more people in, as promised and planned, but it's been a pretty disappointing / quiet / uneventful month on the SWTOR front, I think.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 23, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »

Ahem. Actual newsTM!

Companion Characters Update – Part 1 (from Braveheart... I mean, William Wallace)
http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20110923
Even heroes need friends. Whatever epic journeys they may undertake, heroes always find they need allies to join in their adventures and help achieve their goals. This is why companions have been a traditional part of Star Wars™ since the very beginning and why they’ve been an important element in all the BioWare RPGs. Unsurprisingly, Companion Characters also play a critical role in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

In your story, they will provide colorful commentary and comic relief, and as your saga unfolds, they will become your most trusted allies. In combat, they will fight at your side, complementing your tactical expertise, and supporting you wherever you go. We are also pleased to tell you that after testing and feedback, we’ve added an additional layer of customizability for companions both in terms of their appearances and in terms of their tactics in combat.
*Be sure to scroll through it to view the videos lower on that page.

I just wish the game was out so we could all nitpick the game, instead of pick on each other.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 24, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »

They kind of misrepresent some things, unless they've changed in the new build (which went out today in limited roll-out and I didn't get in yet, grr).

They say you can change the companion facial features. That's not really true. You can choose a companion kit which changes the entire companion appearance. You don't get to design the character like you do your own when you begin the game.

Also, crafting. They say you can have a companion do your crafting for you. Truth is, the only way you can craft is by having a companion do it for you. You don't craft a thing.

Companions are mostly cool, though, and perhaps the best thing in the game to differentiate it from the rest. Except for Sith Inquisitor companions who mostly suck, personality-wise frown.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 24, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 24, 2011, 04:43:07 AM

They say you can change the companion facial features. That's not really true. You can choose a companion kit which changes the entire companion appearance. You don't get to design the character like you do your own when you begin the game.

How hard is it to get companion kits?  Are all of them available as soon as you get a companion?  It would be weird to start out with a companion with one look and then change midway through the game to make him/her look different from everyone else's companion.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 24, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »

Release dates set : Dec. 20 NA/Dec. 22 EU
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »

Quote from: Booner on September 24, 2011, 12:09:54 PM

Well, that is still "Holiday 2011", albeit by the narrowest of margins.

Of course, I think it's totally unfair that they're launching in a week that I'm scheduled to be working 13 hour days, so I will have essentially no time to play (or no time to sleep, if I'm irresponsible about it). Hopefully between the "beta testing" before then and the "early game access" that my pre-order allows (I really hope that means the whole weekend before official launch), I won't be feeling left out that week. On the plus side, I have the entire following week completely off, outside of family commitments for the holidays, so I should be able to make some progress / completely burn myself out on the game by New Year's. slywink

- Ash
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: September 24, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on September 24, 2011, 08:47:31 AM

How hard is it to get companion kits?  Are all of them available as soon as you get a companion?  It would be weird to start out with a companion with one look and then change midway through the game to make him/her look different from everyone else's companion.

With the Bounty Hunter I had, I got a companion kit along with a choice of clothing when I got Mako, the first companion. I think the clothing choices were just for style and no difference in stats. On the Sith Inquisitor, that choice isn't presented with Khem Val. Once you get your companion you go off the starting world pretty quickly, to the capital of your faction. There you will find a Companion Kits vendor. Companion Kits are just a single item, "Vette 1" or "Vette 2" etc, and in the last build they weren't available for all the companions. Not sure if they weren't done or if they're not doing kits for the more humanoid characters that can have their look adjusted through armor. Then you simply place that kit into the Companion Kit slot on the companion (which is actually kind of annoying, you hit I for inventory to get to the kit, then C for the character sheet, which brings up what you wear. It has tabs there for you, your companion and your ship. You click on the companion tab and drag the kit from the inventory to the companion).

And yes, some of those changes are odd. One of them turns Mako into a black woman. The other ones pretty much just change her hair. But your companion will still look like everyone else's companion, because most people will only use 1-2 companions the vast majority of the time.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: September 24, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on September 24, 2011, 12:41:41 PM

Well, that is still "Holiday 2011", albeit by the narrowest of margins.

Of course, I think it's totally unfair that they're launching in a week that I'm scheduled to be working 13 hour days, so I will have essentially no time to play (or no time to sleep, if I'm irresponsible about it). Hopefully between the "beta testing" before then and the "early game access" that my pre-order allows (I really hope that means the whole weekend before official launch), I won't be feeling left out that week. On the plus side, I have the entire following week completely off, outside of family commitments for the holidays, so I should be able to make some progress / completely burn myself out on the game by New Year's. slywink

- Ash

I thought Holiday 2011 actually extended into the beginning of 2012. Kinda like how the american football season for 2011 finishes in 2012 slywink
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: September 24, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »

Hehe I was actually disappointed at the announcement. Got the e-mail with the title, "The announcement you've been waiting for" and thought "oh good my beta invitation for the new round is here." Opened it up and, "damn."
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: September 24, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »

Just read about the announcement. Cool! Guess I'll start planning to be playing TOR on Christmas!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 24, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »

but by then I'll be burned out on the beta!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 24, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

Got the e-mail. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Those Some of us not in the test aren't yet jaded and cynical about the game; give us time... smirk)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:25:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 24, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

Yep, with the early access perk I should be in the game around the 15th-17th. Should be a blast.!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: September 24, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »

Brief oficial announcement from those Bioware docs Greg and Ray:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9337709#edit9337709
To all of our Old Republic fans:

In 2008, along with our partners at LucasArts, we took to the stage to announce the development of the long-rumored BioWare massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars™ universe. Over the past few years, we’ve pulled back the curtain and shown you why Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is the groundbreaking story-driven MMO you’ve always wanted, and how this game will change the MMO genre forever. We’ve given you a peek behind the scenes each week, showing you what it takes to create the largest MMO in development. Our team has traveled the world to give fans a chance to experience the game first-hand, and you’ve created an active pre-launch community larger than we’ve ever seen. Our Game Testing program has been a huge success, and thanks to you we have been able to achieve the BioWare level of quality our fans have come to expect in all of our games.

Today, the wait is truly over – for a release date, at least.

It is our pleasure to finally announce to you that Star Wars: The Old Republic will launch on December 20, 2011 in North America, and in Europe on December 22, 2011. This is an incredible moment for everyone at BioWare and our partners at LucasArts who have dedicated the past few years to build this extraordinary game. We appreciate the patience from the millions of fans who have been waiting for the game’s release. When we launch this groundbreaking MMO this holiday, we hope you agree that it will have been worth the wait.

May the Force be with you,
Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk
Co-founders, BioWare
They are sort of fudging at this point exactly when "early access" would start, so that doesn't seem quite set in stone yet.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 24, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 24, 2011, 03:25:27 PM

Yep, with the early access perk I should be in the game around the 15th-17th. Should be a blast.!

I'm curious as to the early start date...it'll be great to have a toon 'count' and be able to play it without concern of spoiling it for myself. I'm pretty sure what my first will be, but this game will be ripe for those with an alt fetish.

I'm also very curious about how it will be received by the general gaming community. I've played enough to have a solid opinion formed, but the in-game chat will be very interesting over those first few days. nod
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 24, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »

My body is ready.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: September 24, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 24, 2011, 02:24:36 PM

Quote from: ydejin on September 24, 2011, 08:47:31 AM

With the Bounty Hunter I had, I got a companion kit along with a choice of clothing when I got Mako, the first companion. I think the clothing choices were just for style and no difference in stats. On the Sith Inquisitor, that choice isn't presented with Khem Val. Once you get your companion you go off the starting world pretty quickly, to the capital of your faction. There you will find a Companion Kits vendor. Companion Kits are just a single item, "Vette 1" or "Vette 2" etc, and in the last build they weren't available for all the companions. Not sure if they weren't done or if they're not doing kits for the more humanoid characters that can have their look adjusted through armor. Then you simply place that kit into the Companion Kit slot on the companion (which is actually kind of annoying, you hit I for inventory to get to the kit, then C for the character sheet, which brings up what you wear. It has tabs there for you, your companion and your ship. You click on the companion tab and drag the kit from the inventory to the companion).

And yes, some of those changes are odd. One of them turns Mako into a black woman. The other ones pretty much just change her hair. But your companion will still look like everyone else's companion, because most people will only use 1-2 companions the vast majority of the time.

Thanks for the info Cheeba.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1466 on: September 24, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »

Quote from: Booner on September 24, 2011, 04:03:26 PM

but the in-game chat will be very interesting over those first few days. nod

Which I'll be turning off as soon as I get into the game. MMOs are so much better if you don't have a bunch of whiny fanboys chatting in your ear constantly. And SW:ToR will no doubt have them in giant droves.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: September 24, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 24, 2011, 02:43:49 PM

Hehe I was actually disappointed at the announcement. Got the e-mail with the title, "The announcement you've been waiting for" and thought "oh good my beta invitation for the new round is here." Opened it up and, "damn."
I thought it was a beta invite too.  Maybe the next email will have the title, "The annoucement you've really been waiting for...welcome to the beta!"
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on September 24, 2011, 10:06:17 PM

Quote from: cheeba on September 24, 2011, 02:43:49 PM

I thought it was a beta invite too.  Maybe the next email will have the title, "The annoucement you've really been waiting for...welcome to the beta!"

Ditto. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:50 AM »

I was sifting through the class discussion forums (Sarlacc Enforcer was an April's Fool Day joke that took on a life of its own  icon_smile). While the number of threads/posts doesn't really mean anything (it could just mean more people spout hot air about a particular class), maybe you can get a fairly ballpark idea of interest level in classes from the totals:
http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Jedi Knight
Total Threads: 2,857 | Total Posts: 159,170

Jedi Consular
Total Threads: 2,709 | Total Posts: 127,418

Bounty Hunter
Total Threads: 3,144 | Total Posts: 104,362

Trooper
Total Threads: 2,785 | Total Posts: 103,767

Sith Warrior
Total Threads: 2,351 | Total Posts: 102,301

Sith Inquisitor
Total Threads: 2,706 | Total Posts: 98,257

Smuggler
Total Threads: 2,524 | Total Posts: 89,475

Imperial Agent
Total Threads: 2,120 | Total Posts: 65,232
I guess that's mostly "duh," although I somehow though there'd be most Smuggler oriented posts.

Not having had a chance to try it yet, I'm a bit torn between just "whatever's most fun for me," "what'll be in most demand for groups," and "what's least common, so focus on it just to be a little unique." I'm looking forward eventually to figuring all that out.  icon_smile

P.S. If you guys haven't logged in at the SWTOR site for a while, on Wednesday they added a new page under Accounts for Security Questions. Drop down menus let you set up Q/A for up to 5 questions (the idea being if you set the full 5, it'll make it harder for an impostor to figure out all of those answers).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:59:50 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: September 25, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »

All you have to do is wait for the IA progression video to be released and everyone will jump on that band-wagon. Well, maybe not like they do on Force users. A few of the dev's have stated in a few places that they feel the IA has the best storyline in ToR.
Its been my first choice ever since I read about it. Also seems to be the most level headed bunch who post in the IA forum...biased? yep, just a tad.

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: September 25, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 25, 2011, 12:46:41 PM

All you have to do is wait for the IA progression video to be released and everyone will jump on that band-wagon. Well, maybe not like they do on Force users. A few of the dev's have stated in a few places that they feel the IA has the best storyline in ToR.
Its been my first choice ever since I read about it. Also seems to be the most level headed bunch who post in the IA forum...biased? yep, just a tad.

IA definitely intrigues me the most at this point, as well. If the rumors that Claudia Black is voicing the female Sith Warrior are true, though, that class will run a close second. My third choice would probably be the Bounty Hunter... all told, I think it's pretty clear I'll be playing Empire initially. eek

- Ash
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:13:07 PM by Asharak » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: September 25, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »

Oh, when a couple of us have opined that the Advanced Classes system reminds us of Tabula Rasa's class trees (albeit, TR's system had sort of several levels of branching class choices; SWTOR has one, and imho that might actually be best - to have a little branching of specialties and then let the skill choices themselves do the differentiating at later levels), feast your eyes...

SWTOR Advanced Classes Overview
http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/advanced-classes

Tabula Rasa Character Builder
http://zeus.jrq.ch/trcb/

I still feel like TR had so many good individual ideas (the class "tiers," the base defense/assault events - Rift's rifts reminded me of that, many very cool group instances, the Logos language puzzles etc.) wrapped inside a very generic IP that didn't really jump out at anybody and that apparently cost a fortune to develop. It's one thing to spend that much money on... STAR WARS! Another to spend a fortune on ... Richard Garriott's Generic Military Sci-Fi IP!   icon_neutral

Anyway, I am looking forward to working through the class tier choices in this.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:57:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: September 26, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »

Releasing the game 5 days before Christmas.  There are going to be some very tired people at Bioware with no Christmas break.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: September 26, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »

Quote from: Cortilian on September 26, 2011, 07:26:50 PM

Releasing the game 5 days before Christmas.  There are going to be some very tired people at Bioware with no Christmas break.

Yeah, can you say, Double-time-and-a-half pay?  icon_lol
But I think part of their reasoning is that most players wont have as much time to log into the game...or none at all if travelling. They're obviously trying to minimize the onslaught to their servers.....I dunno, but this might back-fire on them big time... icon_eek

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: September 27, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »

Or it will sell a buttload as Christmas presents to gamers.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: September 27, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »

I may have just got my re-invite
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: September 27, 2011, 07:00:26 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 27, 2011, 01:37:22 AM

I may have just got my re-invite

I've still received no invites at all frown

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:05:38 AM by Gryndyl » Logged

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »

That comic's precious. And... it fits me to a "T."  crybaby icon_smile

I kept thinking I wanted to be a Smuggler, but after reading the GoG interview with Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret's designer, and remembering how my favorite City of Heroes character was a blaster named Crusasder (inadvertent typo that haunted me icon_redface), I feel like the Bounty Hunter is calling out to me in SWTOR.

Even if I always saw myself as a Republic guy, the truth is, I like to use flamethrowers and other insidious weapons in games, so maybe there's more of the Dark SideTM in me than I realize.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 27, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 27, 2011, 04:21:24 PM

That comic's precious. And... it fits me to a "T."  crybaby icon_smile

I kept thinking I wanted to be a Smuggler, but after reading the GoG interview with Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret's designer, and remembering how my favorite City of Heroes character was a blaster named Crusasder (inadvertent typo that haunted me icon_redface), I feel like the Bounty Hunter is calling out to me in SWTOR.

Even if I always saw myself as a Republic guy, the truth is, I like to use flamethrowers and other insidious weapons in games, so maybe there's more of the Dark SideTM in me than I realize.

well you DID enjoy protecting the Emperor in SM
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: