http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:34:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 124585 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 06, 2011, 03:52:36 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2011, 02:22:07 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 06, 2011, 12:53:41 PM

+1. This is a day one purchase for me. It's looking really, really good.

1.) Age 9-12 male actor located in or near Easton, MD for a 1/2 day shoot.

2.) Age 27-36 male actor located in or near Easton, MD for a 2 day shoot.

Please send head shots, photos, and availability.]Here's a Jedi Progression trailer that's really got me aching to revisit 'Star Wars'.

trying to be sneaky are we?  NO JEDI FOR YOU!

lol! How the hell did that get pasted?! Ugh.. That's a casting call for a film I'm working on. Damn you, Copy+Paste!!

copy and paste aren't the problem, not reading what you've actually inputted before clicking post is the problem.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 06, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 06, 2011, 06:46:37 PM

Please send head shots, photos, and availability.]Here's a Jedi Progression trailer that's really got me aching to revisit 'Star Wars'.

lol! How the hell did that get pasted?! Ugh.. That's a casting call for a film I'm working on. Damn you, Copy+Paste!!

copy and paste aren't the problem, not reading what you've actually inputted before clicking post is the problem.

Someone is on a dick mood today.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 06, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 06, 2011, 06:59:52 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 06, 2011, 06:46:37 PM

Someone is on a dick mood today.

today?  icon_twisted

* CeeKay ducks

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 07, 2011, 07:34:08 AM »

Massive thread of fan impressions from UK fan event.  There were also press briefings during which new information was handed out, but unfortunately press is embargoed until print publications get a chance to get their next issues out.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 07, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »

Some blah-blahs from the Bioware rep clearing up some things. Honestly, I don't remember there ever being a body of water in the SW films (I do remember some toxic goo pools), much less swimming, but apparently there's much dismay you won't be able to swim through water in the game at launch (you just walk through it is my understanding). Perhaps later in the Aquaman and Field & Stream Expansion.  smirk

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5987118#edit5987118
Now, let me see if I can clear some stuff up that there seemed to be questions on:

- Party size in the game right now is four, which includes CCs [Character Companions-bj]. This is also true in Flashpoints. This does not mean having two people and their CCs is the same as having four people. CCs are powerful but they are not the same as having smart humans nor are they equal in power.

So on a less difficult Flashpoint with amazing players or players that had a couple extra levels it’s likely possible to two man or three man them but I will say that when Alex and I tried to two-man the Heroics on Dromund Kaas with our CCs we got stomped flat. And, you know, I’ve been playing this game a while. Most important to remember: All of these rules can and likely will change in the future. And yes sometimes they’ll change week to week if there’s a new build during that time. This is what testing is about.

- I referred to “ten plus hour worlds”. It’s my short hand in the office for “big worlds.” It's not a concrete number for play time. Some of them are bigger than that. Some are much bigger. And obviously, your time spent on them may vary, especially if you like looking at our gorgeous landscapes.

-There are light side and dark side icons on the dialogue wheel if you are using the mouse. If you are using number keys to pick dialogue options, you’ll never see them. So if you hate the idea of choosing wrong, you’re going to be a mouse user for dialogue. If you hate the idea of hand holding you’ll be a number key player. Best of both worlds.

-Swimming will not be in TOR for ship. It is not a 'free feature' we turned off and is actually a huge amount of animation, pathfinding and AI work. Either every creature in the game needs to have water moving/fighting animations and AI to handle 3D movement or combat has to stop in the water with all the AI craziness that having safe zones you can jump in and out of entails. We have nothing against swimming but it’s never going to outrank improving combat, Companion AI or any of our other core features.

-Dark Side / Light Side is working even though most people didn’t see a difference in their bar on the terribly ugly placeholder Character Screen. The bar doesn’t move much per decision because it’s a long game. Highlighting the bar shows the point value which makes it easier to tell quest by quest progress.

- Class quest answers are not arranged by DS/LS but by class appropriateness. So the most “Boba Fett” response (curt, professional, all business) goes on the top of the Bounty Hunter. The most “Vader” on top of the Sith Warrior etc. So if you’re playing purely to your class fantasy you can just keep moving along easily. So in similar situations a Sith Warrior might have a “[Kill Him]” option as a first response but an Inquisitor might have it second and the first response might be trying to look deeper at the situation and discover what’s really going on.

-Darths do outrank Lords in our time period and both are official titles in this Sith Empire. The honorific, however, is always “my lord” when speaking to a Sith who outranks you whether they are officially a lord or not. So all soldiers in the Imperial military of normal rank (not moffs and generals, etc) will call you “my lord” as soon as you achieve Sith status. This doesn’t mean you’re actually a Lord by title yet. The Sith themselves have a complex sense of rank and will often try to test others with their forms of address.

-There was an odd bug that was causing cover points to appear for Troopers and Bounty Hunters. These have not become cover classes.

-Training abilities does cost credits.

-Datacrons are, in fact, spread all over TOR in hard to reach places, do appear on your map if you’re close enough, have some awesome history pieces for your codex, are very hard to get (I’ve only gotten a couple ever in playing) and do permanently increase your stats. Kudos to Kandycane for being the first person I’ve ever seen to get one at an event. Explorer badge!
On the first one, they had said that you could try tackling a 4-player Flashpoint (aka dungeon) with just two players, each bringing along his/her Character Companion NPC but that understandably it won't be as effective as having 4 actual players.

I'm not familiar with Datacrons but I guess like Rift's artifacts, it's something to reward exploring and looking around the environments a bit, with a more specific stats improvement in this case for finding one.

Now that its April, at least the release date window (barring a delay) is scrunched into a 9-month window, right?  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:47:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 07, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »

Ok. This is the Jedi progression trailer I meant to post yesterday.

I.Want.To.Play.This!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 07, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 07, 2011, 01:54:51 PM

that's OK, BJ already posted it about a page back.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 07, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 07, 2011, 02:04:56 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 07, 2011, 01:54:51 PM

that's OK, BJ already posted it about a page back.

(/facepalm)

And I think I see Harkonis coming into the thread again. (/ducks out)  icon_razz
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 07, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

PR, once the pages start scrolling over anew, I wouldn't worry too much about re-pointing out a link or video you liked. At least, don't beat yourself up about it.  icon_smile

The combat designer Zoeller clarified some things about shooting from cover (which remains unique to the Smuggler, despite some visual bugs that made it seem like other classes had cover-fire points too):
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5987647#edit5987647
Just to clear up some confusion here:

First, cover is still being worked on, so it's interface and gameplay may still change in the future.

Second, the Trooper class seeing the cover bar in the UK build is a bug, not a feature (sorry to those that got excited there )

Third, currently - portable cover is slightly inferior to hard cover. Players in hard cover will not take damage from most types of attacks, while players in portable cover will take damage mitigated by the portable cover's energy shield.

The way cover works is that if you get shot while exposed (e.g. you're taking a shot yourself), you can get hit and take damage, but if you are fully in cover (really hiding), you don't get shot. There's still a number of edge-cases here, and performance issues (e.g. lag induced by playing from the UK on our US server) will cause visual artifacts such as blaster bolts hitting players who are in cover.

Another thing not seen in the UK demo is AI upgrades we have made that allow smarter enemies to react to cover in a more realistic fashion - such as lobbing a grenade or trying to aim and headshot the player in cover.

As mentioned, cover is in active development and you're going to see changes to it over time until launch based on Game Testing - but it's a Smuggler/Imperial Agent only game mechanic.
imho, stuff like this should put the kibosh on the idea SWTOR is anywhere near open beta, much less release. If there are so many primary features like this that sound not even close to being "locked in," it doesn't sound like a game whose release is around the corner.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:32:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 07, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 07, 2011, 12:34:41 PM

Some blah-blahs from the Bioware rep clearing up some things. Honestly, I don't remember there ever being a body of water in the SW films (I do remember some toxic goo pools), much less swimming, but apparently there's much dismay you won't be able to swim through water in the game at launch (you just walk through it is my understanding). Perhaps later in the Aquaman and Field & Stream Expansion.  smirk

I'm pretty sure they are modeling other things than just what were in the movies.

Ale
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »

It really looks like a fall-Christmas release at this point.  No problem with me...gives me more time to play Rift (and hopefully GW2) before it comes out.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 08, 2011, 01:16:18 AM »

I'm sure many of us are trying to forget it, but Episode I: The Phantom Menace has a considerable amount of water stuff in it including an extended submarine ride.

Also there are people on the Bioware Boards claiming that Lightsabers don't work under water.  But I could have sworn the original Clone Wars cartoons had a 5-minute episode on Mon Calamari where Kit Fisto used his Lightsaber underwater.

Personally I'm fine either way.  As some have pointed out, allowing characters wearing heavy armor to swim is arguably just as immersion breaking as not being able to swim.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 08, 2011, 12:54:52 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 08, 2011, 01:16:18 AM

I'm sure many of us are trying to forget it, but Episode I: The Phantom Menace has a considerable amount of water stuff in it including an extended submarine ride.
WHY? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........  *Fist Shaking*  icon_lol

Let me rephrase it. Nothing I enjoyed or want to remember in any of the Star Wars movies involved swimming around. I'm amused by just how much time they're spending at the forums trying to explain it. There's no underwater content and they're just treating water as an occasional "end border" on zones. I guess I could argue that if you're not going to have swimming then just do whatever you have to do in the environment (fences etc.) to make water "un-reachable." Don't let people walk into deepening water and get a goofy "you're about to drown" pop-up message.

I can tell you from my experience in Champions' underwater zones that most players there seem to do anything possible to avoid the zone. It looks very cool, but ultimately, having enemies come at you from every possible direction (rather than on a horizontal plane) is frustrating, and it's also too easy to lose your sense of orientation in the game world. I suspect a "space walk" zone would also have similar issues.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:57:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 08, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »

The problem in Champions was mostly the massive lag in that zone. There was a reason we all called it Lagmora.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 08, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »

I was one of the few who disliked the underwater zone in WoW.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 08, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »

Some of the best times I had in EQ were in Kedge Keep.  I know a lot of people didn't like that underwater only dungeon, but I thought it was pretty cool.  However, I will also say that no other game did underwater quite like that and I am perfectly okay with not swimming in TOR.  The idea of not having water at all seems silly, unless it all takes place on Tatooine or something.  I am fine with getting to a water edge and just not being able to go in there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 08, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »

Zoeller looks at Advanced Classes more: (lots of info and new screenshots of the UI)
http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20110408
Includes some changes in the advanced classes in response to early testing feedback.
We thought it might be good to give you a peek at some of the recent changes made to each Advanced Class since they were announced. While we’re constantly iterating and balancing each class based on our own objectives, we also pay attention to feedback from internal testing, the (ever expanding) Game Testing Program, and the community.

The following list of changes is by no means complete or definitive for the final game, but it should give you a good idea of where the class you are planning to play is heading. [NOTE: They fixed a typo w/ the Bounty Hunter advanced classes, and I updated my little paste-in project below to reflect that -bj]

[Just pasting in the general descriptions, though it was neat to see this all in a condensed list-bj]
Bounty Hunter Advanced Classes
PowerTech (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Mercenary (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
===========================
Imperial Agent Advanced Classes
Sniper (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing)
Operative (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
Jedi Knight Advanced Classes
Jedi Sentinel (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing. Wields dual Lightsabers)
Jedi Guardian (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing, Tanking. Wields a single Lightsaber)
Jedi Consular Advanced Classes
Jedi Shadow (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Jedi Sage (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
=============================
Smuggler Advanced Classes
Gunslinger (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, wields dual pistols)
Scoundrel (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Healing, wields scatter gun)
Sith Inquisitor Advanced Classes
Sith Assassin (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Sith Sorcerer (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
Sith Warrior Advanced Classes
Sith Marauder (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing. Wields dual Lightsabers)
Sith Juggernaut (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing, Tanking. Wields a single Lightsaber)
Trooper Advanced Classes
Vanguard (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Ranged Tanking)
Commando (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

I had more swimming thoughts, but just deleted them. I'd be more keen on us all blabbing about Zoeller's update.  icon_smile

Be sure to read to the end of it -- there's an interesting bit about "death metrics" with current testers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:18:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 08, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »

This last post reminds me that I have no clue what class I want to play.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 08, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 08, 2011, 02:59:53 PM

My suggestion is think general first:
A) I wanna use light saber(s)!
B) I wanna use gun(s)!

Pick one, and you've whittled own what classes you'll want to play right there.  icon_smile Choosing between Republic and Empire should whittle things down further. I'm sure everyone will want to play everything on each side. I just mean maybe in terms of choosing a "main," or choosing what you think you'll most enjoy.

Smuggler appealed to me, but I am somewhat disappointed there doesn't seem to be a tree focused on using a single blaster (it seems to be either dual blasters as a gunslinger, or the equivalent of a blaster-shotgun as the other specialty). I realize SWTOR isn't the movies per se, I just don't really recall Han, Lando etc. using dual blasters. It totally makes sense in terms of the classes -- just not in terms of my recollections I guess.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:06:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »

Please don't suck...  After the travesty that was Star Wars: Galaxies if this sucks I have no hope for any Star Wars based MMORPG

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 08, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 08, 2011, 03:30:34 PM

Please don't suck...  After the travesty that was Star Wars: Galaxies if this sucks I have no hope for any Star Wars based MMORPG

+1. It's looking so good.. and it's Bioware. I really want a 'Star Wars' MMO to succeed. The setting is so rich.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 08, 2011, 04:05:39 PM »

The testing metrics (3d visualizations) they are using are really cool.  I would love to have access to those displays during the launch of the game just to see where people go, what classes they migrate towards, are they playing solo or in groups?  Have other mmos used 3d metrics like that before?  I can just imagine an entire operations room filled with monitors (like NASA mission control, or a city traffic ops center) tracking all of those metrics.  They get to see into the matrix.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 08, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 08, 2011, 03:03:36 PM

B) I wanna use gun(s)!

Pick one, and you've whittled own what classes you'll want to play right there.  icon_smile Choosing between Republic and Empire should whittle things down further. I'm sure everyone will want to play everything on each side. I just mean maybe in terms of choosing a "main," or choosing what you think you'll most enjoy.

Smuggler appealed to me, but I am somewhat disappointed there doesn't seem to be a tree focused on using a single blaster (it seems to be either dual blasters as a gunslinger, or the equivalent of a blaster-shotgun as the other specialty). I realize SWTOR isn't the movies per se, I just don't really recall Han, Lando etc. using dual blasters. It totally makes sense in terms of the classes -- just not in terms of my recollections I guess.

Well, it seems like as time goes on in the SW universe, people forget how to dual wield.  In the prequel movies, eveyrone and their brother could dual wield lightsabers.  Not in the 4-6.  Dual wielding guns must have been a lost art as well, since Han and Lando didn't do it.

The sad part is I don't think I can even whittle it down to light sabers or guns.  I did play some Sith warrior type at PAX that was just swords and it seemed pretty boring, so I am pretty sure I don't want *that* class.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 08, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »

It's really early, Grue, and so much is in flux. So, I wouldn't rule anything out just yet.  icon_smile A lot of what was at PAX was unifinished, and everything sounds subject to change. Meaning if feedback suggests someone didn't enjoy a certain skillset or class, I'd assume it will get some dev attention.

I'm not blindly drinking Bioware Kool-Aid mind you. It's just, if something isn't fun right now, I'm sure they will at least try to make changes to remedy that. "Try not. Do!"   Da Freakin' Pope! For example, saw in Zoeller's update that the Force Project power (think that's the one that summons objects out of the ground and tosses 'em -- reminds me of a fun Gravity Controller power in City of Heroes) was proving more fun than Force Slam among players so Slam is out and Project is staying in with some improvements.

From the PAX impressions I read, smuggler's cover fire was really "not there yet," and I hope maybe it is getting some polishing and what not.

And yeah, usually when I say I don't remember something from the movies, I'm talking Episodes 4-6 (the "Good" Star Wars films), not Episodes 1-3. I remember spending years wishing Lucas would direct 1-3, and then when I finally saw them, thinking, "Oh GOD, what have I DONE!"  disgust icon_smile Be careful what you wish for...

I'm still irked the late Irvin Kershner didn't get to direct Return of the Jedi (in interviews, he said he wanted to, to finish the storylines from Empire). Would he have toned down the Ewoks, given Han something more interesting to do, maybe directed Mark Hamill a little differently? Sigh. Only The Watcher Knows.

Sorry to digress so much. I think basically I really want SWTOR to be set in the Episodes 4-6 era but we know it isn't. I'll just have to get over it...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:22:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 08, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »

The good news is that Lucas isn't directing any of the story lines in swtor...so we shouldn't have to experience ewoks or gungans again, right?  Right??

As for classes, I really enjoyed playing a caster jedi/sith in the kotor games, so I'm leaning towards the consular or inquisitor.  If there's a class that is designed to f**k with jedi/sith, and has abilities to shut down their powers, that would be fun too.  I love playing classes that are designed to absolutely screw with other players ability to fight (hi burglar from lotro).     

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 08, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »

all of them!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 08, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 08, 2011, 05:44:20 PM

The good news is that Lucas isn't directing any of the story lines in swtor...so we shouldn't have to experience ewoks or gungans again, right?  Right??

ninja

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 08, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 08, 2011, 02:17:16 PM

Some of the best times I had in EQ were in Kedge Keep.  I know a lot of people didn't like that underwater only dungeon, but I thought it was pretty cool.  However, I will also say that no other game did underwater quite like that and I am perfectly okay with not swimming in TOR.  The idea of not having water at all seems silly, unless it all takes place on Tatooine or something.  I am fine with getting to a water edge and just not being able to go in there.

maybe they can make a rail shooter section where you're in a sub, like in Episode 1.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 08, 2011, 05:49:39 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 08, 2011, 03:30:34 PM

I hear they have a New game Enhancement update planned for about a year after release  icon_twisted

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 08, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 08, 2011, 05:46:58 PM

all of them!

In MMOs, I play one character and one character only.  I always make a choice I can live with and I am pretty sure I will be able to do it here, but I have also not been paying a terrible amount of attention towards the development of the game and so I don't really have a great background on what any of the classes do.  Once they announce a release date and such, I will pay more attention (and hopefully play a beta to figure out what I want to do).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 08, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »

B) I wanna use gun(s)!

what if you want to play a baker?  maybe a candlestick maker? Tongue

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 09, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »

List of races available and the classes they can play from PC Gamer, care of Darth Hater.  Someone scanned in the actual chart from the magazine here.

Humans: Can play every class.
Zabraks: Can Play every class.
Miraluka: Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular
Pureblood: Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor
Chiss: Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter
Rattataki: Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter, Sith Inquisitor
Mirialan: Trooper, Smuggler, Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular
Twi'lek: Sith Inquisitor, Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler
Cyborg: Trooper, Smuggler, Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter

Clearly I am not as much of a Star Wars fan as I thought.  The only one I really recognize is Twi'leks.  The only other one I've heard of is the Chiss mostly because Bioware's been highlighting a Chiss intelligence agent (basically they seem to be a lot like humans but have all blue skin), but don't know of any actual movie/tv show/etc. in which they appear.  I know one of the other races is what Darth Maul was.  No idea who the others are.

Seems like some weird choices other than the Twi'leks.  I would have expected maybe something like the the Rodians (like Greedo) or Sullustans (like that weird co-pilot of Lando's in the battle of Endor).  Or if they want to emphasize Episodes 1-3 (blech) maybe the  Togrutas (Shaak Ti, who defends Chancellor Palpatine at the end of the Battle of Corsucant, and Ahsoka Tano, the Padiwan from the current Clone Wars cartoon) or the Cereans (Ki-Adi-Mundi the tall cone-headed guy that shows up in Episodes 2 and 3).

Two more races that would be cool but it probably makes sense they aren't doing are the Mon Calamari and the Nautolan (Kit Fisto the tentacle haired guy who goes all bad-ass on Mon Calamari during the original Clone Wars 5-minute videos) since they are aquatic.  Given how many of the fan-base is already up in arms about not being able to swim, goodness help Bioware if they create non-swimming Mon Clamari and Nautolans.

Looking up the races they are using I see that Zabraks are Darth Maul's race, and the Mirialan are a race that does show up a bit in the current Clone Wars tv show (Master Luminara and her Padawan Barriss).

The Chiss, Rattataki, and Purebloods definitely don't seem very iconic, unless maybe they show up in comics a lot.  I was going to say the same about Cyborgs, but then I remember Grievous (who I don't particularly like).

I suppose we should at least be thankful that Gungans aren't on the list.

[Edit] From Daniel Erickson, Lead Writer on SWTOR:

The species/class combo list you're referencing is not accurate. If it does appear in the magazine, that's unfortunate.

My guess is that an enthusiastic member of the press wrote down everything he saw in the character creation screen which, as we’ve stated often, is nowhere near final. Occasionally we’ll have species in odd classes or in all classes because of a bug or testing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:17:23 PM by ydejin » Logged
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 09, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »

Blackjack, FWIW, here's a Question/Response on the SWTOR Boards:

Quote from: Fan
The Smuggler - will the Scoundrel (scrapper) be using his scattergun instead of his blaster, or is his blaster still his main weapon with the scattergun there for a backup?

Quote from: Georg Zoeller, Principal Lead Combat Designer
The main Smuggler weapon definitely stays the blaster. Think of the scatter gun as a more powerful but situational weapon.

So hopefully the Smuggler will still give you the Star Wars experience you want.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »

Thrawn is the most famous Chiss.  If you don't know him, then you didn't read three very awesome books.  Asajj Ventress was Rattataki.  Purebloods are descendants of the original Sith.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 09, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »

Jerec from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 was a Miraluka.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: April 09, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 09, 2011, 08:42:45 AM

Clearly I am not as much of a Star Wars fan as I thought.  The only one I really recognize is Twi'leks.

What, you've never heard of Humans before? What kind of alien are you?  icon_twisted

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 11, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »

Some class progression info has been released....

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/10/bioware-reveals-more-info-on-the-old-republic-class-progression/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 11, 2011, 02:18:27 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 09, 2011, 06:19:26 PM

Quote from: ydejin on April 09, 2011, 08:42:45 AM

Clearly I am not as much of a Star Wars fan as I thought.  The only one I really recognize is Twi'leks.

What, you've never heard of Humans before? What kind of alien are you?  icon_twisted

burn the alien!  or is it dissect.....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 11, 2011, 02:18:51 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 08, 2011, 02:40:54 PM

Zoeller looks at Advanced Classes more: (lots of info and new screenshots of the UI)
Includes some changes in the advanced classes in response to early testing feedback.
We thought it might be good to give you a peek at some of the recent changes made to each Advanced Class since they were announced. While we’re constantly iterating and balancing each class based on our own objectives, we also pay attention to feedback from internal testing, the (ever expanding) Game Testing Program, and the community.

The following list of changes is by no means complete or definitive for the final game, but it should give you a good idea of where the class you are planning to play is heading. [NOTE: They fixed a typo w/ the Bounty Hunter advanced classes, and I updated my little paste-in project below to reflect that -bj]

[Just pasting in the general descriptions, though it was neat to see this all in a condensed list-bj]
Bounty Hunter Advanced Classes
PowerTech (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Mercenary (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
Imperial Agent Advanced Classes
Sniper (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing)
Operative (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
Jedi Knight Advanced Classes
Jedi Sentinel (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing. Wields dual Lightsabers)
Jedi Guardian (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing, Tanking. Wields a single Lightsaber)
Jedi Consular Advanced Classes
Jedi Shadow (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Jedi Sage (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
=============================
Smuggler Advanced Classes
Gunslinger (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, wields dual pistols)
Scoundrel (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Healing, wields scatter gun)
Sith Inquisitor Advanced Classes
Sith Assassin (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Sith Sorcerer (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
Sith Warrior Advanced Classes
Sith Marauder (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing. Wields dual Lightsabers)
Sith Juggernaut (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing, Tanking. Wields a single Lightsaber)
Trooper Advanced Classes
Vanguard (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Ranged Tanking)
Commando (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

I had more swimming thoughts, but just deleted them. I'd be more keen on us all blabbing about Zoeller's update.  icon_smile

Be sure to read to the end of it -- there's an interesting bit about "death metrics" with current testers.

no, post all your thoughts!

[edit] from the link you posted:

did they really need to obscure what was below the Force Cloak?  are they hiding something?

could they get any smaller with the image?  still, reminds me of Rift.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:26:11 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 11, 2011, 02:49:27 AM »

Way to repost what I just posted bot.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: