http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 10:05:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 120512 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »

PC Gamer is also doing a spread on the space combat:

- Missions lasting 2-8 minutes.
- Single player instances with future potential of PvP and co-op space combat.
- Various mission styles that mimic iconic Star Wars battles.
- Basic tunnel and rail-style shooter missions.

plus there's a bunch of info here on the official forums.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2010, 06:14:03 AM »

why dont they just add Xwing vs Tie-Fighter to the game...its so obvious!

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 10, 2010, 02:23:51 PM »

How is "On rails" and "tunnel" PVP gonna work? Going to be tough to avoid anyone if your maneuvering is limited like that, right?  confused

They can call it "SWTOR: Head-On Space Collisions! Now with PVP!"  smirk

I haven't played console games in years, but I side with Bungie's Halo: Reach take, which in interviews has roughly been, "If you're going to add space combat, you have to add a full sandbox space combat, or else don't do it at all." Amen.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:26:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »

to add a fully functional and in depth space combat sim into the game at this point would probably delay the release by a year at least.  I'm sure that EA would have no part of that.  These mmos are outrageously costly to develpoe and time delayed is time that they lose in subscriptions.  Hopefully they wl expand space combat in the future but as for now I'm sure the attitude is lets get this thing going.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »

Honestly, the more I read about SW: TOR, the more I see it as a Massively Single Player Game.

Each class is going to have its own set of mission structures, with branching story lines that can change based on actions and choices.  This means that not everyone is going to have the same story happening to them, taking them to different areas at different times, and not working on the same branches at the same time.

Now we have the on-rails / tunnel shooter in space, where the player housing has been placed.

I'm not so sure this is going to work.  Prior to 2002, I would have said:  "This is Star Wars!  You can't mess up a Star Wars MMO!"  We've all seen that outcome before.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »

CeeKay's slacking off!  icon_smile He should be excitedly introducing...

Jedi Knight trailer
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/jedi-knight
Through years of disciplined training and meditation, the Jedi Knight hones body and mind into perfect harmony. Combining the foresight of the Force with unrivaled reflexes and practiced physical precision, the Knight turns combat into an art form, gracefully executing acrobatic feats in tandem with elegant lightsaber tactics.

This video captures the experience of the Jedi Knight in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.
I'd love an MMO where every quest was story-based and had meaning, and there was never a single quest that involved harvesting beasts for their hooves, tails, internal organs, genitals, poop, etc. The latter just seems so ingrained as an MMO requirement now, it might never go away.  icon_razz

And probably it's not realistic. I mean, if you have to do 10-15-20 however many quests per level, just to reach the next level, and it's an 80-level game or something. Can any dev team come up with 800 some odd quests that never resort to boring, repetitive tasks?

I'm babbling like usual. Sorry. icon_smile I guess what I don't really know about SWTOR to this point is if it's got about 10% interesting storyline quests padded with about 90% of "go kill 10 taun-tauns and bring me their buck teeth" quests. Or is it something where you'll go through each class's storyline quests once and then not feel any inclination to ever play again? Or is it all wonderful and fun and non-repetitive, and all our prayers are answered?  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 18, 2010, 06:09:52 AM »

Space Combat in action.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:19:10 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 18, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »

I kinda like it.  It's not deep by any means - looks like the space combat in LEGO Star Wars - but it looks more fun than many time-sinks in other MMOs.  Perhaps one day we'll have real, deep space combat in SW:ToR, but that doesn't look like it'll be too painful or boring.  Unless we're stuck doing it for 10 hours or so...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 18, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »

What was that triangular ship at 0:50? Looked kinda ugly.

Edit - should add my opinion of it. Looks pretty good! It's Star Fox and I wish they could have done a full space opera sim, but oh well, I understand why they're not doing it.

Oh, and I thought that character that you talk to looked pretty good as well. Like his veiny forehead, though his pauldrons were a bit WoW-y.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:42:07 PM by cheeba » Logged
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 19, 2010, 03:58:46 AM »

Huh, that is disappointing. It is essentially just an old arcade space shooter.  I didn't really like them then and this sure isn't making me change my mind.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 19, 2010, 04:19:10 AM »

The space combat looks horrible. like an after thought. I think they should leave it out. I have never liked on rails space action.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 19, 2010, 04:21:12 AM »

kinda reminds me of the Griffin level on Darksiders.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 19, 2010, 12:25:08 PM »

I think they should put the whole idea of space combat in deep freeze, and they can re-visit it later. Kinda like...

No. 3: Betrayal, love and death (10 Greatest Star Wars moments, mini film festival)
http://techland.com/no-10-the-dagobah-training/no-3-betrayal-love-and-death/
*Off the topic of the game, I wish Lucas had brought back director Irvin Kershner for Return of the Jedi. Richard Marquand (!) made no sense as a choice imho, and I recall reading in interviews that Kershner loved working with the cast and very much wanted to finish the cliffhanger stories from Empire, but Lucas was determined to have a different director for each film.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:27:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 19, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »

I think it looks just fine.  It should be a nice diversion from the standard " go bullseye 10 wamprats and bring their hides back to Uncle Owen " type of quests that I'm sure we will have too many of.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 19, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 19, 2010, 02:13:00 PM

I think it looks just fine.  It should be a nice diversion from the standard " go bullseye 10 wamprats and bring their hides back to Uncle Owen " type of quests that I'm sure we will have too many of.
That is what a lot of fans are concerned about, based on what they've shown to date. There are optimists ("Oh, Bioware is holding back the good stuff for later!") and pessimists ("See? Bioware's MMO won't be any more interesting than anything else!").

My gut feeling is it's shaping up more like LOTRO's mixing of Epic Quests at certain levels that are often genuinely interesting (vis a vis SWTOR's "storyline quests"), connected by a boat load of more typical hunting, harvesting and grinding quests.

As I blabbed before, if they wanted something truly different on quests/missions, they wouldn't have hired so many former SOE and other traditional MMO devs -- they would've hired people that wanted to "think outside the box," break up the conformity, do something fresh. I can understand wanting MMO vets on the infrastructure and support side -- people that have "been through the wars," know how to scale server capacity to expectations, know all about the things that can go wrong with MMOs at launch.

But I really was kinda disappointed they didn't think more about bringing fresh blood to the quest/mission design side of things. I'd love to be proven wrong. I'll happily eat crow. I just don't get that impression.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 19, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 19, 2010, 03:31:06 PM

I think it looks just fine.  It should be a nice diversion from the standard " go bullseye 10 wamprats and bring their hides back to Uncle Owen " type of quests that I'm sure we will have too many of.
That is what a lot of fans are concerned about, based on what they've shown to date. There are optimists ("Oh, Bioware is holding back the good stuff for later!") and pessimists ("See? Bioware's MMO won't be any more interesting than anything else!").

My gut feeling is it's shaping up more like LOTRO's mixing of Epic Quests at certain levels that are often genuinely interesting (vis a vis SWTOR's "storyline quests"), connected by a boat load of more typical hunting, harvesting and grinding quests.

As I blabbed before, if they wanted something truly different on quests/missions, they wouldn't have hired so many former SOE and other traditional MMO devs -- they would've hired people that wanted to "think outside the box," break up the conformity, do something fresh. I can understand wanting MMO vets on the infrastructure and support side -- people that have "been through the wars," know how to scale server capacity to expectations, know all about the things that can go wrong with MMOs at launch.

But I really was kinda disappointed they didn't think more about bringing fresh blood to the quest/mission design side of things. I'd love to be proven wrong. I'll happily eat crow. I just don't get that impression.

I think these comments coupled with the rumor that SW:TOR will be the last external game developed for LucasArts, and I think Bioware is going to go the safe route and follow more of a standard MMO format which is proven to sell and retain subscribers for that monthly fee.

There is going to be a Mass Effect type of over-arcing storyline, but once that storyline is finished in the game, it's going to be just like any other MMO, wrapped in Star Wars instead.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 19, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

I hope we're both wrong.  icon_smile

My last word on space combat...
Quote from: Blackjack
Pew! Pew! Pew!
That says it all...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:09:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 23, 2010, 06:10:43 AM »

Space combat video

YAWN

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2010, 06:13:02 AM »

go collect 10 tie fighter panels.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 23, 2010, 06:13:02 AM

I think it looks just fine.  It should be a nice diversion from the standard " go bullseye 10 wamprats and bring their hides back to Uncle Owen " type of quests that I'm sure we will have too many of.

go collect 10 tie fighter panels.
THEN what happens? What do we get, huh? The suspense is killing me...  icon_razz

There is more on the space ship types, and on the various advanced classes:

Star Ships:
http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/starships

Advanced Classes:
http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20100820-0

I assume the Smuggler's Blaster Shotgun will have that uncanny ability to Pew Pew Pew a thousand times and hit a target maybe once successfully.  Bring your own!

So you'll be like Leslie Nielsen in a Naked Gun movie, cover-firing wildly from behind an overturned table, about 5 feet from the bad guy.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:48:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 24, 2010, 04:19:34 AM »

I'm really looking forward to this game. Not because of any ground breaking system, but because it will (hopefully) be a decent (if not innovative) game in the star wars universe.

The space combat though - wow that is bad looking.  Combat on rails. Heck, at 43 seconds in you can see they've highlighted all of your targets that you need to hit.  It doesn't matter how many nifty ship types they have, the basic premise sucks.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 26, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »

Ten Ton Hammer exclusive video interview with SWTOR's lead writer, blah blah blah
http://www.tentonhammer.com/events/gamescom2010/swtor/daniel-erikson-interview
*fwiw, his explanation of their take on space combat is to keep things cinematically-focused, and exciting all the way through, vs. having you wander aimlessly around space, looking for something interesting to happen. I get that, but I think most people would say something like X-Wing or Tie Fighter didn't have you wandering aimlessly around space - you had specific objectives each mission, but a lot of leeway in terms of direction and how to approach things. imho that's the issue most have with the idea of tunneled "vectored in only one possible direction" space combat.

The Facebook Page is worth checking out:
http://www.facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 27, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »

Blue's pointed out some SWTOR hardware/software tech discussion over at:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,767634/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Bioware-considering-Direct-X-11-in-the-future/News/
PCGH: We know “Hero”-Engine features middleware like PhysX, Speedtree or FMOD. Why did you decide to use these middlewares?

Bioware: The HeroEngine offers all of those as options. We however chose not to use Physx or FMOD. We do utilize Speedtree, it was quite capable of generating the trees we needed for the Star Wars universe. Physics in the game is our own and for our cinematic sound design, we utilize Wwise.

PCGH: If you had to advertise the visuals of SWTOR what would you mention? Can you list some very modern and advanced rendering techniques that your renderer utilizes (SSAO, Parallax Occlusion Mapping, Depth of Field, Global Illumination or other post effects)?

Bioware: Like any modern MMO, we want The Old republic to run well on a good range of machines. For the more powerful machines we do have normal mapping and lots of post process effects such as depth of field and bloom, cascading shadows, and cloth  confused.

PCGH: By now multi-core CPUs have become very popular and the number of players with such machines is growing rapidly. Did you integrate multi-core support into the engine / your game and what Fps benefit can we expect if we take a Quad-Core-CPU instead of a Dual-Core-CPU? Will there be even a performance boost for AMDs X6 Hexa-Core-CPUs?

Bioware: The Old Republic greatly takes advantage of multi-core. Multi-core both improves frame rate and smoothness by offloading work to the extra cores such as disk IO, rendering or audio.
I assume "cloth" is a typo unless it's referring to Jedi robes.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:13:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 27, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »

I don't think it's a typo. Realistic cloth rendering has always been difficult to achieve.

Ale
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 02, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »

Anyone else have this feeling that all this space fighting stuff they have shown is all a big bs smoke screen? That it's all fake and what they are really making will be more xwing vs tie like and blow us all away?...Or at least hope thats the way it is?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on August 27, 2010, 10:16:04 PM

I don't think it's a typo. Realistic cloth rendering has always been difficult to achieve.

Ale

look at Arkham Asylum.  they had a whole team doing the cape.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 05, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »

a certain celebrity was apparently teased as being in at the end of the PAX Old Republic panel.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 08, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »

REVAN!

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 08, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2010, 07:01:42 AM

Sweet! A Revan dungeon.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this game. Not because of any ground breaking system, but because it will (hopefully) be a decent (if not innovative) game in the star wars universe.

Ditto

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 08, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 02, 2010, 11:18:03 PM

Anyone else have this feeling that all this space fighting stuff they have shown is all a big bs smoke screen? That it's all fake and what they are really making will be more xwing vs tie like and blow us all away?...Or at least hope thats the way it is?
No.  crybaby

I mean, I "get it." They don't want us scouring the Star Wars universe to scrape up 25 asteroid bits and 15 junk pieces. They want to "vector us" to memorable space battles quickly, with no "down time" to reach the battles, and then get back to the ground stuff. I don't believe it's a Bioware smoke screen.

To me it's a case of telling gamers what you think they want, instead of listening to gamers say what they really want. Also a case of pointing at movies and saying "See? In the movies, you don't watch Han Solo explore around empty space looking for something interesting." That's true but movies are NOT games. And games are NOT movies. And generally if you translate in either direction without seriously adapting to the different audiences, you get a mess (a disappointing game based on movies, or a terrible movie based on a game, we've seen plenty of both).

It's kind of like Cryptic telling ST fans they didn't really want fully open space to roam around in for STO. Fans really wanted a series of structured grid maps with lots and lots of instances and loading screens, right? (I'm being sarcastic...)

I guess we'll see soon enough if Bioware's own vision works out better. Maybe we'll all love the space combat in it and I'll happily eat crow at that point.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 11, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »

Corellia.

Because I can,
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 12, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »

If there are lines for buffs in Coronet like in SWG I'm gonna freak.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 12, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 12, 2010, 02:43:16 PM

If there are lines for buffs in Coronet like in SWG I'm gonna freak.

I remember in closed beta (SWG) the first time I buffed the team with the type Es (something like 5000 points to each stat) the 'holly fook" reactions I got.  When I dropped my first 10k heal I had people begging to give me materials to craft them so I could heal their pets. Ahh, the bad old days.

I'm really looking forward to this.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2010, 05:47:30 AM »

almost missed this because the link is kinda obscure: video of Corellia.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2010, 05:03:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 08, 2010, 08:32:41 PM

No.  crybaby

I mean, I "get it." They don't want us scouring the Star Wars universe to scrape up 25 asteroid bits and 15 junk pieces. They want to "vector us" to memorable space battles quickly, with no "down time" to reach the battles, and then get back to the ground stuff. I don't believe it's a Bioware smoke screen.

To me it's a case of telling gamers what you think they want, instead of listening to gamers say what they really want. Also a case of pointing at movies and saying "See? In the movies, you don't watch Han Solo explore around empty space looking for something interesting." That's true but movies are NOT games. And games are NOT movies. And generally if you translate in either direction without seriously adapting to the different audiences, you get a mess (a disappointing game based on movies, or a terrible movie based on a game, we've seen plenty of both).

It's kind of like Cryptic telling ST fans they didn't really want fully open space to roam around in for STO. Fans really wanted a series of structured grid maps with lots and lots of instances and loading screens, right? (I'm being sarcastic...)

I guess we'll see soon enough if Bioware's own vision works out better. Maybe we'll all love the space combat in it and I'll happily eat crow at that point.  icon_smile

Well space is mostly empty and boring...... just saying smile

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2010, 05:04:55 PM »

Quote from: morlac on September 14, 2010, 05:03:51 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on September 08, 2010, 08:32:41 PM

No.  crybaby

Well space is mostly empty and boring...... just saying smile

it's not soft like you.....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 20, 2010, 02:15:39 PM »

designing the light side.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 20, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »

Due to the full class info in my latest Game Informer mag I've decided on my 2 classes.

Good guy will be a Smuggler Gunslinger. My bad guy will be a Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer.

I'm ready now. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 20, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 20, 2010, 02:15:39 PM

come try the lighter side of Star Wars.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: