http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 124607 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »

@Blackjack:  I completely agree.  I don't think we will see numbers like that for a very, very long time.

And I have to believe that companies like Bioware and LucasArts realize that as well, as they are a hell of a lot wiser than us when it comes to the gaming industry.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »

here's the CG trailer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »

Yeah... that's the HOPE trailer - and as expected... it's flat out excellent.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »

That was too freakin' awesome!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 14, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »

personal starships, new species and PvP.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: June 15, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2010, 11:27:00 PM

Wow. That's brutal.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: June 15, 2010, 02:03:38 AM »

Maybe WoW's just a one-time aberration that was in the MMO market at the perfect time
disagree, Wow, is just the first of what will be many. Million subscriber games will be the norm this next coming decade.  Wow is not some sort of one time gem, it is just the first hit TV shows, its only gonna grow from here.  Bioware and EA are spending over 100+ millon to make this game, so Iam pretty sure they agree with me.

MMOs are still in their infancy.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 15, 2010, 02:21:22 AM »

I'd rank my all time most fun mmos as...

UO
WoW
EQ

I just quit STO. Waiting on ToR but may go back to WoW..who knows.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2010, 02:22:13 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 15, 2010, 12:37:54 AM

Wow. That's brutal.

yes it is.

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 15, 2010, 02:37:33 AM »

Quote from: tcweidner on June 15, 2010, 02:03:38 AM

Maybe WoW's just a one-time aberration that was in the MMO market at the perfect time
disagree, Wow, is just the first of what will be many. Million subscriber games will be the norm this next coming decade.  Wow is not some sort of one time gem, it is just the first hit TV shows, its only gonna grow from here.  Bioware and EA are spending over 100+ millon to make this game, so Iam pretty sure they agree with me.

MMOs are still in their infancy.

There is a pretty big difference between a million subscriber game and a 10 million subscriber game.  Infancy or not - I think it may be longer than you think before we see another game with WoW numbers. 

LD

Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:07 AM »

Could that female jedi be a great granddaughter of Bastila Shan? Maybe using dual-blades runs in the family.  icon_smile

These guys need to release a feature-length film set in the Old Republic.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2010, 03:12:13 AM »

While it stinks there was no game footage, Bioware just stepped it up a notch.  That was one of the finer pieces of western game related CGI I have seen outside of blizzard.  It definitely beats the WoW trailer and gives War3 a run for the money.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2010, 03:17:34 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on June 15, 2010, 03:12:13 AM

While it stinks there was no game footage, Bioware just stepped it up a notch.  That was one of the finer pieces of western game related CGI I have seen outside of blizzard.  It definitely beats the WoW trailer and gives War3 a run for the money.

I think it's by Blur studios.  They seem to be the go to place when someone needs an awesome CGI teaser (Dawn of War, Halo Wars, Old Republic teaser last year, etc). 
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2010, 03:47:10 AM »

Looks like there will be a lot of hands on gameplay being shown over the next few days as the game is playable from the show floor.  G4 was advertising they'd be doing a half hour special tomorrow at 5pm Eastern with a live demo biggrin  Can't wait to see it.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »

Has Bioware given an indication of when this is actually due out?  I seem to recall hearing Spring 2011, but is that a current estimation?

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 15, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 15, 2010, 11:44:26 AM

Has Bioware given an indication of when this is actually due out?  I seem to recall hearing Spring 2011, but is that a current estimation?
See (Massively had a link):
Target Launch Window for The Old Republic
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=109426
While we have not announced a specific date, we can confirm that we are targeting a spring 2011 release for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We’ve got a lot of exciting updates and reveals planned throughout 2010, including the first-ever hands-on testing for the game.
I wouldn't read "targeting" as a hard commitment to that time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:01:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 15, 2010, 11:54:11 AM »

Some breathlessness about E3 reveals of player spaceships (!) and PVP....
http://www.massively.com/2010/06/14/e3-reveal-player-spaceships-and-pvp-battlegrounds-in-swtor/
A new door has been opened today in Star Wars: The Old Republic: the door to your very own customizable spaceship! Mary Bihr and Dr. Greg Zeschuk, of LucasArts and Bioware respectively, stood on the stage at E3 to shock Star Wars fans everywhere.

Since the first movie with the Millenium Falcon, the starship has been the center of every character's personal story. Friendships were built, and characters even fell in love, on starships. What story will your character build in his or her starship, and what personal touches would you like to see?

E3 2010: Star Wars The Old Republic - A Smuggler's Run
http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1096845p1.html
Every player, regardless of their chosen class, will get their own starship to command across the galaxy. Always dreamed of flying a Corellian vessel? Choose the Vanguard class when playing. Or maybe you've had some sort of sick dream where you gangster walk through the galaxy aboard an Imperial transport (if so, choose the Sith Fury class).

Of course, it would be pretty boring to have an entire galaxy packed with a handful of similar ships. To combat this, BioWare has created a robust customization package so that you can fully trick out your ship with premade gear sets or your own hand-picked items. Though BioWare isn't showing off the ships in action just yet, they assure us that there will be thousands of different variations so that each person can feel as if they have a unique vessel.
I can sense Cryptic's blood running cold.  paranoid icon_razz They don't talk about space combat per se so I hope it's not just some interstellar taxi service.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:46:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 15, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »

That...fucking...rocked.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 15, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »

Don't think I've seen mention of a Sith Fury class before. Must be one of the specializations of the Sith Inquisitor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 15, 2010, 04:01:01 PM »

they misspelled it; it's actually supposed to be Sith Furry.

don't ask.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »

WoW has too large of a subscription base for any new game to be a "WoW killer".  There will be only one WoW killer and thats WoW itself.  Theres already signs of it and while Cataclysm may keep the game viable, more and more people are getting tired of WoW and want something new.  Im sure what TOR and many other mmo's in development hope is that they can get a grip on those defectors along with the new mmo players and find a viable fan base for themselves.  I doubt they expect a subscriber base of 10 million  ( tho Im sure they'd love it! ) but I believe that TOR will have the legs to be around a long time.  I have faith in Bioware to create a fantastic game and I hope that at this time next years I will be spending many hours in thier universe. 

ps: that vid was all kinds of cool. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 16, 2010, 05:24:48 AM »

For a tidier video set, instead of chasing all of CeeKay's links, check GameTrailers:  icon_smile
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/star-wars-the-old-republic/10449

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:03 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 15, 2010, 03:59:32 PM

Don't think I've seen mention of a Sith Fury class before. Must be one of the specializations of the Sith Inquisitor.

AFAIK, there's two Sith classes - one is mostly melee, while the other is mostly ranged. I'm guessing that the Jedi will have the same.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2010, 06:28:33 AM »

That's what I thought when I first read the IGN article.  Turns out that's wrong.  Vanguard and Fury aren't character class names, they're completely unrelated ship class names.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on June 16, 2010, 06:28:33 AM

That's what I thought when I first read the IGN article.  Turns out that's wrong.  Vanguard and Fury aren't character class names, they're completely unrelated ship class names.

yep:

although the idea of a Sith Furry still makes me chuckle.

Because I can,
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 16, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 16, 2010, 06:18:03 AM

AFAIK, there's two Sith classes - one is mostly melee, while the other is mostly ranged. I'm guessing that the Jedi will have the same.

They have advanced sub-classes that they announced a bit ago. I think the only ones that have been announced are for the Sith Warrior. If you go to the Sith Warrior class website here you'll see that it lists 2 specializations: the juggernaut, which is apparently the tank class, and the marauder, which looks to be dps.

Quote from: ydejin on June 16, 2010, 06:28:33 AM

Ahh ok, thanks.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 16, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »

When watching some of the E3 videos I'm struck by how much better the game comes across when the music's there. I guess they removed it for some of the gameplay stuff to let you focus on sound effects, but to me it seems so flat compared to the videos that have a majestic score running. I guess the movies were like that too -- John Williams' scores were almost like a character in themselves.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »

IGN comes away unimpressed in their hands-on:

E3 2010: Another Take On The Old Republic
http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1098543p1.html
I had my first chance to try out The Old Republic in the super-secret LucasArts  room at E3 today. Somehow, despite all the above elements pointing to the contrary, my experience was decidedly average.
Activating my melee attack would cause my character to swing his not-quite-lightsaber (it was a big, electrified rod!) a few times. When faced with a group of enemies – which is very often – switching between targets during the attack wouldn't carry the attacks across to my new target. These elements made the combat feel sloppy and disjointed, which is really the opposite of what awesome force-wielding badasses should feel like. Again, of course, there is more than enough time for this to be polished and turned into a beautiful, flowing system.
My take is it's probably a mistake for a hands-on demo to be the early stages of an MMO. AoC's Tortage notwithstanding, a lot of MMOs seem to hit their fun peak well past that when you have more skill toys to play with, and more interesting enemies to battle.

It's just one guy's take of course (perhaps the pseudo-light saber at L1 is purposely lame? Perhaps the game's hyped-ness affected his expectations?), but if a lot of hands-on pieces come away unimpressed, it might indicate they oughta consider a different strategy on what part of the game to show off. Even if it means "giving away" something later in the game.

I had to chuckle at a comment there complaining it seems like "WoW with blasters." I hate to break it to him, but WoW didn't "invent" MMO gameplay mechanics and class types, they just polished them to a fine sheen.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:21:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »

Gamespy's "two guys babbling" hands-on take:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1096709p1.html
Ryan Scott: Well, it sure is an MMO. You target stuff, hit a few buttons, and life bars disappear. A few classes have a mechanic that lets them use environmental cover, which is pretty cool. But all told, it doesn't deviate far from what you'd expect from this genre.

I will say, though, that the lack of an auto-attack deeply bothers me -- you have to keep mashing "1" to do your basic attack every time it's off cooldown. As someone who's used to playing a lot of MMOs at high levels, the prospect of babysitting my basic attack is very annoying.
They had no definitive answer for whether it was staying that way, so maybe it's just not something they've gotten around to just yet.
I don't know whether to see "it plays like other MMOs" as a slam, or something "comforting." The masses don't seem to want their MMOs to think too far outside the box.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:42:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 16, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »

Unless they can make the other classes in the game cool I have a feeling that all you will see is Jedi and Sith

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 16, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »

People are going to complain about the number of jedi and sith regardless of how many there are.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 16, 2010, 07:16:26 PM »

HERES a link to a lot of new videos showing off many of the classes in team play, the armor progression of a Bounty Hunter and 2 player class ship types.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 16, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 16, 2010, 05:24:48 AM

For a tidier video set, instead of chasing all of CeeKay's links, check GameTrailers:  icon_smile

thanks for the link to ALL the videos blackjack!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2010, 01:51:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2010, 08:00:26 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 16, 2010, 05:24:48 AM

thanks for the link to ALL the videos blackjack!
That's what I'm here for!!!!!  icon_wink I'm too tired to keep up with you on links so all I can do is sniff out the Compilation Links.  icon_smile

I'm still excited about the game, I just get the feeling there's more interesting ways to hands-on demo the game than Bioware's doing at E3.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 17, 2010, 03:19:31 AM »

Ten Ton Hammer dude's E3 hands-on take...
http://www.tentonhammer.com/events/e3/2010/star-wars-the-old-republic-e3-preview
The combat and controls felt pretty fluid, though I have to admit that the smuggler seemed as though you had little choice but to constantly make use of its unique class mechanic of finding and firing from cover. Mind you, since games such as Gears of War popularized the cover mechanic for firing ranged weapons from a position of relative safety, I’ve found the same to hold true of many other titles that do something similar.

In the case of The Old Republic, this boiled down to being able to easily pick off single enemies when I could locate and fire from proper cover, whereas attempting to run-and-gun it through the area resulted in some incredibly quick deaths.

For example, during the group gameplay portion of the demo we were shown, the smuggler seemed to shine far brighter than when solo simply because with proper group support they could more effectively assume their own support role and fire from cover while the trooper took the bulk of the incoming damage. Considering the ‘massively’ portion of MMOG, I certainly don’t expect that every single class should be able to solo all combat situations. So at least based on my hands-on time with the smuggler, I definitely got the impression that The Old Republic will shine brightest when played socially.
They do seem to confirm the player ships are basically just glorified housing and auto-transportation (i.e., no space combat or piloting is expected).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 17, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »

Massively has an interview. There's still something lingering in the air that maybe the ships WILL be more than glorified dorm rooms, but they ain't talking about SpaceTM yet.  icon_razz

Massively's exclusive SWTOR interview: Starships, PvP, and crafting!
http://www.massively.com/category/star-wars-the-old-republic/
To Group or Not to Group
With instances, especially the storyline instances and housing instances, people are very concerned that this will be a single-player game with MMO features.

One of the things they are working very hard on is we have a lot of aspects in our design that encourage PUGs, pick-up groups. That is one of our main focuses. We believe if you have to go adventuring, it's with a smaller group. We feel that most people play with four to five people. That's what we like to design a lot of game mechanics around.

Will there be questing with small groups?

You'll be adventuring. You'll be adventuring with a party, absolutely.

Would it be required?

No, it's not required, but like anything you get better rewards. But it's not required. You can play our games single-player, like you can with WoW. The issue is we like to encourage people to group, and we'll have a lot of mechanics in our game that will actually do that.

Raids
Raids were mentioned today, which will be high-end content. I know you can't talk too much about raids. Will they be integral to the storyline of the game? Will players find themselves being lead to them? Or will they be more stand-alone, you-can-do-them-if-you-wish?

You can do them if you wish. That's the way they're designed. In WoW you have your raids and they are scaled on basically what you're fighting, right? We will have areas like that in our game, scalable to different sized groups. Again, we are not forgetting the MMO. We are not Massively Multiplayer Single Player Game. That is not what we want. We have a lot of good mechanics to promote grouping, socializing, and we have crafting in our game, yes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:10:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 17, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »

As a huge Star Wars fan and someone who has enjoyed every Bioware product, I'm not that surprised with the average impressions.  From what I've seen so far, the game doesn't really add anything new to the mmo space other than what Bioware is really good at i.e. the script and voice acting.  I'm not very impressed with the combat videos I've seen.  It might be too early to judge though and since it's a Star Wars game (and I'm also a mmo whore), I will play at least one month no matter what.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »

If I were them, I would take some cues from the Wii. Huh? I just mean, there oughta be some way to let you control your light saber with your mouse, or a couple keys, let you have some control there instead of "hit hotkey 1 to do this, hit hotkey 2 to do that, lather rinse repeat." I bet that would've gotten people and journalists (we journalist aren't people, we're aliens icon_razz) excited.

As long as nearly every MMO boils down to "go, switch into combat mode, hit a bunch of hotkeys for more spells and skills than any human can possibly memorize, read a book while waiting until target dies, move on," the genre will never change.

I found AoC's combos an interesting twist on combat but even there, Funcom got scared cause so many players complained about having to hit such "complicated" key combinations so they simplified a lot of that after launch.

I realize plenty of millions of people are happy with "combat mode-hit hotkeys-splurch), so it's fair to ask if a game being developed largely by former devs of old MMOs (including former Sony Online Entertainment guys) is going to deliver anything fresh in the combat department. If they wanted to do something fresh, I wouldn't have recruited people who worked on old MMOs -- I might've limited that recruitment more to infrastructure techie veterans who maybe could keep Bioware from committing mistakes related to inadequate server capacity and excessive lag that every MMO dev seems prone to.

And again, this is EA we're talking about more than Bioware. I don't associate EA with thinking outside the box on things. If they have a success, they sequelize it until the original idea is dead and buried. I couldn't see them supporting a Star Wars MMO that tried to do crazy things with combat and control.

While I realize Bioware doesn't want to "show" its hand, talk is cheap. When I went back through the the Q&A stuff I quoted, I could see a Bioware guy sort of patting the questioner on the head and saying "of COURSE we're going to have everything in it that every player wants and we'll please everybody. We just can't show you or explain any of that." It's almost condescending, cause he doesn't give even a smidgen of proof of hardly any of that.
==============
All that blathering aside, of course I wanna get into closed or open beta at some point and make up my own mind. I'd almost have preferred they not show up at E3 -- I hope in maybe 2-3 months, next time they're at a show, they can show more stuff that answers a lot of hard questions players and reporters have.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:54:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 17, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »

I guess that Im just gonna go with the fact that this game has about 9 months of developement left.  Im sure theres a lot of work left to be done and reviews on an incomplete project are by nature incomplete reviews.  I do hope ships are more that just glorified housing.  Thats the one area where TOR could really make a splash.  Regardless, Im in day one.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 17, 2010, 11:48:22 PM »

I was hoping for player ships, though I'm disappointed you can't choose between different ships. Hopefully though you can customize it, both the interior and parts. At least, it seems the devs realize how important the starship is from the get-go unlike another dev we know.

Quote from: Blackjack on June 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM

If I were them, I would take some cues from the Wii. Huh? I just mean, there oughta be some way to let you control your light saber with your mouse, or a couple keys, let you have some control there instead of "hit hotkey 1 to do this, hit hotkey 2 to do that, lather rinse repeat." I bet that would've gotten people and journalists (we journalist aren't people, we're aliens icon_razz) excited.

Well, if the new Zelda (Skyward Sword) is anything to go by, that kind of mechanic looks cool, but it looks very frustrating too. I saw the Zelda stage presentation and the creator seemed to be having a hard time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:44:33 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: