http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:13:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 126680 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199726.html?tag=topslot;title;1

Liveblog of the PR:  http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/21/joystiq-live-from-lucasarts-bioware-press-conference/

ETA:  2010, earliest.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »

So are we going to have to go skin Bantha rats to make a cool light saber sheath?  icon_razz I wonder what this means for Galaxies, which when I tried it a couple years back was already not exactly aging gracefully (imho).

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »

It is not replacing Galaxies.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »

The in-game screenshots are underwhelming, to say the least.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 21, 2008, 09:44:01 PM

Where do you see in-game screenshots? The Gamespot link only has concept art. frown
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:04:42 PM »

ETA:  2010, earliest according to the first post.  I don't even think it makes sense to release screenshots at this point.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:39 PM »

Game is in pre-alpha.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »

game world just doesnt lend itself to a MMO.  Either you have no siths and jedi or you have a zillion.  You cant design a game where only a few people get to be the heroes. 
Who the hell wants to pay 15 bucks a month to be the republican trash compactor operator?

Didnt they try this already and didnt it go over like a turd in a punchbowl?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »

Quote from: warning on October 21, 2008, 10:04:42 PM

ETA:  2010, earliest according to the first post.  I don't even think it makes sense to release screenshots at this point.

screenshots

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 12:20:10 AM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 21, 2008, 11:45:29 PM

game world just doesnt lend itself to a MMO.  Either you have no siths and jedi or you have a zillion.  You cant design a game where only a few people get to be the heroes. 
Who the hell wants to pay 15 bucks a month to be the republican trash compactor operator?

Actually, they did all of that in SWG (short of the trash compactor guy). The game was quite successful until 90-95% of their playerbase quit over the NGE, or NCE, or something. Basically they royally changed the gameplay of the entire game 1 day after they released a major expansion for it. Oh, and they allowed people to start as a Jedi to start (instead of having to go through a bunch of hoopla just to 'become' one).

You would think that a MMO in the Star Wars universe would be a license to print money. Alas, the devs utterly screwed up. Here's to hoping that this one is better.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 01:08:54 AM »

That's the whole point of setting it in the Old Republic- you can have a game where there are a zillion jedi or sith. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 01:51:20 AM »

TC's comments remind me of my own about Marvel Universe Online -- i.e., I want to *be* Wolverine or Spider-Man, I don't want to be a generic super hero who runs up to Wolverine or Spider-Man NPCs to get his "quests," but the MMO genre can't really let 200,000 people be Spider-Man and Wolverine.

But, ya know, some of my favorite moments in LOTRO are running into Aragorn, Legolas, Frodo, Samwise, etc., etc. So I think if Bioware works its story magic, you won't mind being Joe Generic Jedi, as you run into interesting characters in the Old Republic.

New Game Enhancements was a ballyhooed late 2005 change in SWG that - if memory serves - mostly just ticked off the people that had really enjoyed the crafting and other aspects of the game. SOE seemed to reason it as an attempt to broaden the game's appeal but the most passionate fans of the game (and many of whom'd sunk a couple years into the game by then) seemed to be the ones that enjoyed the game's intricacies so it was a slap in the face to them without widening its appeal (from what I remember). I actually did try the game (a couple of free trials if I recall) around that time, and it was interesting, but I didn't find the combat very entertaining and the animations struck me as awfully clunky.

I've seen and played so many awful Star Wars games... well, movies more recently even... that I'm long past thinking Star Wars is a license to print anything but more money for George Lucas's 401(K) plan. disgust But I figure if anyone can do so something special with the license, it's Bioware, provided Lucasarts leaves them alone.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:55:10 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:30 AM »

In beta and when it first came out I loved Galaxies. I had the most fun being an entertainer and playing music in that game.

My opinion on Jedi is dont have them.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 05:06:39 AM »

Ah, the NGE. I knew I was close.

I also tried the free trial not long after that happened. The universe was SO vacant, it was scary (and it wasn't from lack of trying either). Entire cities were utterly abandoned. Hell - entire PLANETS felt abandoned. The universe was SO empty, it was rare to see one other player, much less multiple. And since crafting was so big in the game (or at least it was up until that point), it was hard to get anywhere as there was nobody selling wares (or restocking at the very least) anymore.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:45:37 AM »

In the Tales of the Jedi era (where the KOTOR games are set) there are thousands of jedi across the galaxy. Every single player on a server could play a jedi character, and it still wouldn't break with the setting.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

MMO.  Big deal.  I hope it fails miserably.  Probably just for PC too.  What a mistake by Bioware & Lucasarts.  Should have been KOTOR 3.  I will never pay monthly fees to play a game.  I am horribly disappointed.

http://www.swtor.com/

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »

I'm not giving up on it yet, but I agree with you 100% that they should make KOTOR 3 first.

Let's each light a candle to what might have been...  crybaby
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 02:40:28 PM »

Can't wait for this game and unless they royally screw something up it'll be a day 1 collector's edition buy for me. SOE (and LucasArts) certainly screwed up SWG royally, but they also had a lot of innovations that I hope Bioware has learned from.

The character customization made WoW look ridiculous by comparison. Not only could you make a unique-looking character, you could change it in-game through the actually working player-run economy. You could also talk to anyone, rebel, imperial or neutral. This obviously opened up some problems where the two sides would swear at each other or whatever, but it also opened up the social aspect of the game. I still play some games with some of my old enemies from SWG.

Not to mention player housing and player cities, successful non-combat classes, a combat system without levels that people could easily change, and a rich, complex crafting system. And of course, the PvP was the best I've ever seen. We used to have 3-day long fights for player-owned bases.

Unfortunately, I think no one will remember the good aspects of SWG and they'll all remember it for the failure it was. I'm looking forward to seeing what Bioware can do. It already worries me how much they are talking about "story," however. Story is all well and good, but once you've experienced it, what else is there?
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »

The game was quite successful until 90-95% of their playerbase quit over the NGE, or NCE, or something.
umm if the game was successful they wouldnt have had to try to change it.  I beta tested and played that turd.

anyway who knows, maybe they can pull this off, I doubt it, but I'll start working on my names just in case.  I Like "Duke SKywalker"  or how about "Hands Solo"   yeah,  yeah..i like that, i'll be cool and original with that one   icon_lol
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:49:17 PM by TC Weidner » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 22, 2008, 02:46:09 PM

The game was quite successful until 90-95% of their playerbase quit over the NGE, or NCE, or something.
umm if the game was successful they wouldnt have had to try to change it.  I beta tested and played that turd.

The population base was decreasing before they did it, don't get me wrong. But there was an utter mass exodus of players once their screwup went live. Oh, did I forget to mention that they NEVER told the playerbase that they were working on it? No mention of it ANYWHERE, never showed up on the test server (if they even had one), no nothing. They released the expansion, and two days later that went live.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »

I love Bioware, I love MMOs, and I love KOTOR.  This will be very looked forward to by me.  I play LOTRO and WAR on my work laptop, but not sure how this game would run.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »

This already has my interest for the pure fact that it's Bioware.  And the fact that they want to make story important is HUGE for me.  The thing i love most about MMO's is unraveling the lore and I think Bioware is going to have tons of starwars lore to be uncovered.  To bad it's gonna be a year plus before this hits.  I'll have to occupy my time with Fallout 3, Warhammer, a next gen God of War and plenty of other games not even known about yet.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »

Lots of info from IGN:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

"Set 300 years after the events in Knights of the Old Republic (and featuring some familiar faces), Star Wars: The Old Republic will put players on either side of a massive war between the Republic and the Empire. "It's not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars," Ray emphasizes; "It's about being a hero." They want the game to fit the scale and proportions of a conflict that spans the entire galaxy. The game will follow BioWare's emphasis on "choice with consequences" with room for players to be ambiguous or conflicted about their motives. In short, Greg says, it's what BioWare fans want: a perpetual RPG that delivers the full BioWare experience."

Sounds interesting, looks ugly:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:20:25 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »

You could also check out our news page with a link to the game's official site. Or the thread on our MMO board.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 10:10:01 PM »

Yup, forgot about the MMO section  wasted

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:41 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 22, 2008, 02:40:28 PM

Unfortunately, I think no one will remember the good aspects of SWG and they'll all remember it for the failure it was. I'm looking forward to seeing what Bioware can do. It already worries me how much they are talking about "story," however. Story is all well and good, but once you've experienced it, what else is there?

I have to agree on SWG.  In spite of all the problems we had with it and some of the inane gaming elements (nerf melons!), as well as being set in the middle of a story whose outcome you know, there were a lot of things they did well in terms of realization of a MMO gaming world/universe.  And let's not forget the hotpants and eightball's clothing shop!  Many fond memories.

Speaking of story, though, I do wonder about this and have discussed it a lot with other people.  How do you create an epic, deeply involving, *personal* story and still fold it into an MMORPG world/universe?  Because on some level, you know that Hands Solo is likely doing the exact same thing as you are.  If you kill evil Jabba the Slut after a glorious fight, chances are he's going to pop right back up in a minute.  In a single player world, you can change the game world and experience in meaningful and substantial ways; in an MMORPG world, you are far more limited because you need to cater to everyone else playing.

Actually, in spite of its other faults, AoC did a great job melding the 2 gameplay styles in its 1-20 Tortage content.  You had a relatively deep main storyline that unfolded seemingly just around you, but mixed in with "daytime" content that was more traditional MMORPG that you could group up with your friends with.  Even though you knew everyone was doing the same storyline, keeping it instanced and isolated made it less in-your-face.  Clever use of instancing and changes to instances based on completion of particular criteria can judiciously be used (a la AoC or Guild Wars), but too much of this tends to split up the playerbase, which is generally not a good thing.

I don't know what/how Bioware is planning to do it, but it will be very interesting to see what they come up with.  They may be great at story telling and world building for a single player audience, but understanding the MMORPG market and player is a whole other animal.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 12:46:04 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2008, 10:10:01 PM

Yup, forgot about the MMO section  wasted

I think I posted that when I was smoking crack earlier today. Nothing to see here keep moving.  paranoid

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »

Why do people keep saying it looks ugly...there are no screen shots out..its all concept art.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 03:26:14 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 24, 2008, 03:18:27 PM

Why do people keep saying it looks ugly...there are no screen shots out..its all concept art.

Actually there are screenshots out.  Ceekay listed some (mixed in with some concept art) earlier in the thread. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 04:32:11 PM »

Massively pointed out some new concept artwork at official site, along with new forum avatars:
http://www.swtor.com/news/article/20090109_001
Spacefaring species from across the galaxy come together to create the diverse population of Star Wars™. Today we’d like to share our artists’ concepts of some of the many interesting characters you’ll come to meet as you venture through Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »

They've posted the first official "playable class" page, the Bounty Hunter:
http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter
Field Reconnaissance

Bounty Hunters come and go as they wish across the galaxy, some working alone, others in groups. Though not uncommon for them to pursue targets in the core worlds, the majority of any Bounty Hunter’s work takes place in the Outer Rim where wary and elusive targets often seek places where they can ‘drop off the radar’.

Outfitting

Preparation is the Bounty Hunter’s best defense, and cutting-edge protective gear is standard equipment for most Bounty Hunters. Artisans spend months and even years hand-crafting the Bounty Hunters’ heavy armor to ensure it offers superior resistance to all manner of weaponry, and that each suit will still allow maximum flexibility and versatility. Offense is just as critical as defense, however, and powerful weaponry is necessary for any Bounty Hunter who might have to shoot his way out of a messy situation. It’s not unheard of for a Bounty Hunter to spend as many credits on an advanced blaster as others might spend to purchase an entire starship.

Combat Tactics

Whether working for credits or principle, the Bounty Hunter pursues his targets with dogged determination and methodical precision. Bounty Hunters are renowned for their versatility on the battlefield and their ability to go toe-to-toe with force-users. Their legendary abilities in this arena have earned them the nickname “Jedi Killers”. Whoever they must face, however, the Bounty Hunter comes armed with the most-advanced weaponry on the black market, packing heavy firepower but always keeping a variety of tricks and gadgets ready to go.
There are a few short videos too, under the combat tactics sub-section.

I can always get down with a flamethrower  icon_twisted and a jetpack.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:09:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »

Are Bounty Hunters really supposed to be "jedi killers"?  It seemed like even their best was no match for a Jedi (Boba vs Luke).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 24, 2009, 07:56:46 PM

Are Bounty Hunters really supposed to be "jedi killers"?

From the videos and pictures apparently bounty hunters are all supposed to be exactly like Boba Fett, even 3500 years before Boba or Jango.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 24, 2009, 07:56:46 PM

Are Bounty Hunters really supposed to be "jedi killers"?  It seemed like even their best was no match for a Jedi (Boba vs Luke).

No, they aren't supposed to be Jedi killers. This is something Bioware has made up for the game. Jango Fett and Boba Fett are good examples to look at since they were among the absolutely best bounty hunters in the Old Republic (right before the Clone Wars) and the Empire respectively. Yet even with their experience, their reflexes and their tools, they were no match for the Jedi they fought. On the other hand, they are able to at least prolong their inevitable defeats at the hands of a Jedi.

It's just something we'll have to accept. Bioware already did a LOT of bending of the accepted history of Star Wars through the other KOTOR games.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »

From a gameplay-perspective there really isn't a choice. Every class should be viable and equally powerful, and Star Wars Galaxies proved that a system where the jedi-class needs to be "unlocked" doesn't really work.
A shame really, but I don't see any other option for them...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »

At this point, I'm just eager to see what the other classes will turn out to be, and whether it's all going to fall under mmorpg class stereotyping (tank, off tank, healer, spellcaster, ranged attacker etc.) or if it will have some more interesting variety that doesn't fall under such specific (some would say tiresome at this point) mmorpg archteypes. Because really, if it's just going to play like every other mmorpg most of us have played, but with pretty Star Wars graphics and goofy Star Wars names, why bother? I hope it brings something fresh to the party, however risky that might be.

And it's easy for any dev to say, "we're going to do storyline missions and quests, and be innovative," but I think when you start running out of time and development money, it's too easy to fill out content with lots of "kill 8, 16, 32, 48 womp rats" and "Go deliver a batch of midi-chlorians to Master Schmoe!" quests/mishes. So I will be keen to see if Bioware can actually avoid an over reliance on hunt/grind quests (and FedEx quests) as a cheap means to "stuff" the content list.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:39:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 25, 2009, 08:36:41 PM

At this point, I'm just eager to see what the other classes will turn out to be, and whether it's all going to fall under mmorpg class stereotyping (tank, off tank, healer, spellcaster, ranged attacker etc.) or if it will have some more interesting variety that doesn't fall under such specific (some would say tiresome at this point) mmorpg archteypes. Because really, if it's just going to play like every other mmorpg most of us have played, but with pretty Star Wars graphics and goofy Star Wars names, why bother? I hope it brings something fresh to the party, however risky that might be.

Fresh like SWG?  ninja
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 07:48:27 PM »

Dev Dairy #2

This one is about the different worlds in the game.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 22, 2008, 12:30:17 PM

MMO.  Big deal.  I hope it fails miserably.  Probably just for PC too.  What a mistake by Bioware & Lucasarts.  Should have been KOTOR 3.  I will never pay monthly fees to play a game.  I am horribly disappointed.

http://www.swtor.com/

I thought you pay for a Xbox Live Gold account. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »

Troopers!

and no, not the web series  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: