http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:45:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 124629 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »

yeah, they arent exactly known for making crappy games, so I have every faith in this... Will be interesting for certain, though!!

anyone have any info on when the closed beta will begin? I can feel I'm lucky with these closed beta's these days....!!

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2009, 01:59:23 PM »

I assume they're still a long way off. Be sure to register at the site, though, there's a checkbox where you can say if you're interested in being considered for pre-release testing. It's at the end of the "Contact Options" box on the register page.

If I remember correctly, it will also offer to test your PC's system and send in the results (there was some concern recently when it turned out some of that testing info wasn't actually being sent even though it looked like it was - heck, that might've happened to me for all I know).

http://www.swtor.com/user/register
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:08:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Falchion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2009, 06:14:49 AM »

Probably a year to closed beta. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »

If that were true, my only concern is that the graphics (which people already grumble only look "OK" by today's standards) would probably seem pretty quaint by, say, a 2011 release.  icon_neutral OTOH, I guess they'd want a Star Wars title to work on as wide a base of PCs as possible, and not have, well, Dragon's Age level requirements and photorealism.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Falchion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »

It's an MMORPG. Doesn't matter what they do, there'll be chronic complainers who quit right before the first resub. 
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »

Quote from: Falchion on November 03, 2009, 06:44:08 PM

It's an MMORPG. Doesn't matter what they do, there'll be chronic complainers who quit right before the first resub. 

heh still bitter about Aion eh?  People quit because they are not enjoying themselves.  I'm sure no one signs up to a mmo hoping to be complaining and cancelling their sub in the first month.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »

Saw STO's ground combat and SWTOR's feels way more fun and inspired, not to mention more involved rather than just standing around looking stiff.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »

And yet we won't get to pilot the Millenium Falcon or fly around in support of defense against incoming AT-ATs on Hoth in SW:TOR (well, I know it wouldn't make any sense in its particular timeline, but still!) and that JUST AIN'T FAIR!!!!  tear

I think the Smuggler calls out to me, but I'll remain curious about the fourth Republic class. Since I'm definitely more a fan of the original movies, I just have a hard time seeing troopers as "good guys." My Smuggler would probably start shooting them on sight by accident.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:13:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »

I think this is mainly a ground combat game, though it does make me wonder if they will have space battles. Your post made me wonder if we'll see more ships like the Ebon Hawk around. Hmmm, personal ships? Have they said anything about personal ships yet? Even if they're just to travel around like in the original games.  I'd like to see them handled like they were in original games as a sort of hub where you can invite your friends and drag them around the galaxy to do missions.  Oh man, that does sound like fun, having parties in a ship and heading out to do missions.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:10:43 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Falchion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2009, 05:17:01 AM »

Quote from: skystride on November 03, 2009, 06:59:13 PM

Quote from: Falchion on November 03, 2009, 06:44:08 PM

heh still bitter about Aion eh?  People quit because they are not enjoying themselves.  I'm sure no one signs up to a mmo hoping to be complaining and cancelling their sub in the first month.

Bitter about AC2, Planetside, HZ, EVE, TR, AoC, Aion actually. I skipped Vanguard, EQII, LOTRO, WAR and Champions, but they ended about the same. Massive dropout right at the one month mark then a few of these games pulling it together a few months later.   Aion is simply the "freshest taste in my mouth."   

Is it people quit because they are not enjoying themselves?  Or because they have unrealistic expectations and can't take a step back and look at the complete picture, instead looking at "now" instead of a couple months down the road, or a few things that irritate them instead of the promise, potential, and things that are okay?  Bring a SRPG mindset into a MMORPG world?  That the pace, engagement level, storyline, etc.. is supposed to give at least the same experience? 

I dunno.

Logging into Aion... 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »

Yeesh, if you're lumping LOTRO in with Champions, I don't know WHAT to say.  icon_lol I never played two games that had less in common. I'm Lifetime on LOTRO, and Champions remains a sad disappointment to me (imho - some buds of mine who never warmed up to CoX claim to love Champions).

I was looking at this funny old Penny Arcade post about SWG, they had mentioned it in a post concerning SOE the other day.

SOE DCMMORPG WTF
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/3/1/
I didnít really mention it when I tried out SWG a few months ago. After they completely changed the game I thought I should take a look and see if they changed it to something Iíd like. Within the first 10 minutes I had met Han Solo and Chewy and I was shooting down Tie fighters from the Goddamned Millenium Falcon. Listen guys, I know itís a f***ing Star Wars game. I donít need to be best friends with Luke Skywalker before Iím level 2. Itís a huge universe and shoving me into encounters with my ďfavorite heroes from the filmsĒ just feels manipulative.
icon_razz I guess I know what he meant. So I won't dream about that anymore.  icon_razz

I want SWTOR to succeed, cause otherwise I don't think we'll get anything but fantasy mmorpgs for the forseeable future. I've been posting about Global Agenda, but I don't see it as anything more than a niche player.

Bioware's betting the bank on SWTOR, and I'd like it to succeed so that MMO fans can see something other than swords and elves (which I quite enjoy some of the time mind you) in their future, and get some more diversity going. I figure every sci-fi, something-different game that face-plants gives the industry one more reason not to support anything different in the future.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:28:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Falchion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »

IF anyone has the knowledge, history, "rep on the line,"  capability, development team, and finances to make it work, Bioware is it.  They don't do anything half-butted.  The other thing that I hope for is a MMORPG that actually captures story, storyline engagement, roleplaying and choice as opposed to treadmill, which is all stuff I think MMORPGs need to advance as a genre ... again if anyone can do story and roleplaying (as opposed to simply stuff to do and social chat network) it's Bioware.  

So I'm optimistic.  

That said, they are really an SRPG team.  While NWN was pretty good for small scope MP, the "massively" in MMORPG really does add infiinite challenges that no developer has surrmounted successfully, even WoW despite its "best yet" status.  

So cautiously optomistic.

I never did anything with Champions, even though I was invited to beta.  So I can't say. I did beta test LOTRO fairly early on up to launch. Did not buy.  I do know that it pulled a pretty good preorder record, but then there were quite a bunch of drops 30 days in.  While with time and expansions I'm told it really has developed,  I was not overly impressed other than the graphics and explorability with it a few days prior to launch.  So I'm not sure what perspective you have, LOTRO one month in to Champions etc (see the list) one month in and what happened to the player base (apples to apples), or LOTRO now to Champions (or the others) release which is quite a different story (apples to oranges).  

Part of what I said above, comparing developed games a couple years in or whatever to new releases.  Sure, a developer should release a complete, perfect MMORPG, I just think the challenges, hurdles, and development cost prohibit perfect releases ... and therefore make most veteran MMORPGers expectations unrealistic and their reviews biased by developed games and wish lists.    Or at least that's my theory.  And I'm sticking to it!  

In most betas I've been in I had to submit a PC spec (dxdiag or such), and I've always kept my PC on the cutting edge.  But the mainstream don't.  Given MMORPGs are released on PCs, we all know that at least pre-Vista, the variables in computer components have created headaches for every PC game release.  What game MMORPG, or Single player don't have a series of patches over a long time?  By adding "massively" and "persistent" and "server" as opposed to "Local HDD" I can't imagine the headaches for the average MMORPG developer trying to satisfy a license, a name and reputation ("Bioware" immediately brings things to mind) and hundreds of thousands of players from a variety of gaming backgrounds with a variety of interests and disinterests.   The MMORPG genre is crowded; Blizzard didn't have the competition. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:31:05 PM by Falchion » Logged
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »

Quote from: Falchion on November 05, 2009, 09:26:21 PM

The other thing that I hope for is a MMORPG that actually captures story, storyline engagement, roleplaying and choice

That is actually the least of my concerns about SWTOR. I know Bioware will include those things. All you have to do is load up any of their RPG's and you'll get a good idea about what level of story and decision making to expect.

What concerns me is whether or not there will be a compelling, deep, and interesting game under all the pretty cinematics and fully spoken dialog. If its a game where 75% of your time is spent watching cut-scenes and only 25% doing some shallow game related tasks, then I won't be impressed. I'm a little freaked out that I might see that the interface is consolized (like Champions), the character development is dumbed down (like Aion), the world is heavily zoned (AoC), or its heavily instanced (DDO), or that all the awesome environments are just pretty pictures but the only explorable part is full of invisible walls. I'm scared they will use the failed example of SWG as an excuse to make it a linear game instead of a virtual world with some well developed sandbox features.

Of course if they add in a CCG like KOTOR had then I'll be much more forgiving of other flaws. Tongue
Falchion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »

I imagine maybe some sort of DDO type of thing with plenty of story based instances.  But I'm not a fan of instancing. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »

Since MS and Sony can't get their ducks in a row on how/if to allow monthly-fee titles on their consoles (I doubt you'll see Champions and STO ever reach consoles, which makes no sense given their console-compatibility, and that Cryptic says they both are up and running on consoles fine at their offices), I don't think SWTOR will be too "console-y." Heck, I thought "The Agency" would be out on PS3 last year.  icon_confused

Watching the gameplay videos, I think The Old Republic will be just as combat-oriented as any other MMO in terms of the actual gameplay, and we'll still be bashing our number and letter keys. I'm just eager to see the last few character classes revealed cause what's missing in the ones announced so far is any support or pet class (which just seem inevitable).

I think what worries me is that its end game might be just more of the whole Raid-Loot-do-the-same-thingover-and-over fixation, and ultimately players will ignore the storyline and still focus on raid-loot-lather-rinse-repeat. I know plenty of players loved that but I think part of the reason the guilds I'm in on these MMOs eventually tire and disband is tiring of doing the same raids over and over, and not wanting to start over (meaning, lack of variety and freshness in end-game content). Me I don't have any interest in raids, and lot of MMOs I play just don't have anything alternatively interesting to do in their late stages.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:10:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 06, 2009, 04:00:57 PM

I'm just eager to see the last few character classes revealed cause what's missing in the ones announced so far is any support or pet class (which just seem inevitable).

One down... "Imperial Agent"

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=86536

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:12:24 PM by Aganazer » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »

Oh well, so much for my pet and support class theory.  icon_razz I guess they really want the guns, guns and more guns game playing audience.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Falchion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 06, 2009, 07:55:43 PM

Oh well, so much for my pet and support class theory.  icon_razz I guess they really want the guns, guns and more guns game playing audience.

What, no macro "Sick em R2 D3??" 
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

Quote from: Falchion on November 06, 2009, 01:01:49 AM

I imagine maybe some sort of DDO type of thing with plenty of story based instances.  But I'm not a fan of instancing. 

DDO was pretty solid on story.  The one thing that really doomed it for most people is that after you run through the dungeon once, the thrill is gone because most of the tactics that make it so interesting are out the window.  Example -- traps are all in the same place, so you see people just telling the rogue -- look here!  DDO's instances are not really designed like WoW or other raid dungeons, where the main strategy is to determine how to take down the bosses and you are looking for certain loot to drop. It also doesn't really have any PvP to speak of.  If they had a way to generate a somewhat RANDOM dungeon (at least trap placement and such) each time you ran at least some quests, DDO would really be a cut above.

There is still an opening for a game to take some of the best features of the MMORPGs out there and get them into one game.

Here are just a few thoughts from some MMORPGs that are still fresh in my mind.  I'm sure someone else can add to it.

EQ2-  Mentoring, stories and lore, heritage questlines, Raids, appearance armor slots, group content; house decorations and achievements, talents.
WoW- Lore, Presentation, Map and "seamlessness" of the world, Mix of PvP, Raids, mounts, group instances with defined bosses, talent system.
Vanguard- boats, housing.
Warhammer- Public quests, way it brings groups together was fairly easy wiht open groups showing up on screen, PvP open region with quests.
Fallen Earth- Crafting system, interesting mount system.
DDO- Quest sharing, dungeons with traps rogues need to disable.
Aion- Flying, graphics, PvP open region with quests.

Just some ideas.

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2009, 08:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Fez on November 06, 2009, 08:44:36 PM

Here are just a few thoughts from some MMORPGs that are still fresh in my mind.  I'm sure someone else can add to it.

EQ2-  Mentoring, stories and lore, heritage questlines, Raids, appearance armor slots, group content; house decorations and achievements, talents.
WoW- Lore, Presentation, Map and "seamlessness" of the world, Mix of PvP, Raids, mounts, group instances with defined bosses, talent system.
Vanguard- boats, housing.
Warhammer- Public quests, way it brings groups together was fairly easy wiht open groups showing up on screen, PvP open region with quests.
Fallen Earth- Crafting system, interesting mount system.
DDO- Quest sharing, dungeons with traps rogues need to disable.
Aion- Flying, graphics, PvP open region with quests.

When you start your development studio remind me to buy stock. That pretty much nails what I would consider to be the ultimate MMOG.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2009, 09:39:39 PM »

I guess what you're saying is SWTOR better have boats in it? Are we talking canoes or 300HP bass boats? Does it need a live bait cooler, and a fridge for your six-packs?  icon_cool

I just want a Taun-TaunTM mount, dammit! And cheap ones so I can afford to slit its belly open on occasion and sleep in it!  puke And of course cook up its white intestines for appetizers.  drool

I haven't played enough fantasy MMOs to judge other mounts, but I feel like AoC has the coolest mounts ever. I don't get the impression SWOTOR is going to have mounts or vehicles, at least at launch.

While the Imperial Agent screenshots make him look like some John Woo meets Sniper type, the techno angle suggests maybe he's good at hacking doors open, and who knows, maybe he can produce some little targeting droid pets or something. That might fit.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:46:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2009, 11:22:59 PM »

There's a scooter vehicle of some sort right behind the guy on one of the pictures...that could be something you could own I guess

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2009, 11:22:59 PM

There's a scooter vehicle of some sort right behind the guy on one of the pictures...that could be something you could own I guess
Hmm, that does look like a Return of the Jedi speeder, doesn't it?  icon_cool

You've given me hope! A New HopeTM Lucasfilm All Rights Reserved Any Expressed Licensing, Endorsement, Product Placement or Merchandising of this trademark is prohibited though it's probably a shame we can't enforce that against George Lucas himself, maybe he'd stop screwing up the film franchise!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:27:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2009, 05:14:34 AM »

Hey, the official reveal for the Imperial Agent came out...
http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/imperial-agent
Combat Tactics
Relying on range, surprise, and an arsenal of state-of-the-art gadgets and weaponry, the Imperial Agent enters battle with a confident strategy. Though striking from a distance or from the shadows plays to the Agentís strengths, a well-equipped operative is more than capable of evading his enemies when necessary or moving in close to quietly slide a blade between an opponentís ribs. Whether on a solo mission or working in conjunction with a strike team, this operative keeps a finger on the right button for almost any situation.

Outfitting
The Empire risks everything on the Imperial Agentís performance and spares no expense to make sure Agentsí gear is as smart as they are. State-of-the-art attire with high-grade armor mesh provides protection and ease-of-movement. Many of the Agentís outfits are augmented with advanced communications technology and attachments to facilitate interfacing with varied computer networks and security systems.
Looks to have a cool droid "pet" of some sort (seems like maybe it heals and/or repairs armor), ability to drop an energy force shield in front of him to use as cover, and both subtle (paralysis darts) and not-so-subtle (Orbital Air Strike call-ins) attacks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:16:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 06, 2009, 11:25:51 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2009, 11:22:59 PM

Hmm, that does look like a Return of the Jedi speeder, doesn't it?  icon_cool

You've given me hope! A New HopeTM Lucasfilm All Rights Reserved Any Expressed Licensing, Endorsement, Product Placement or Merchandising of this trademark is prohibited though it's probably a shame we can't enforce that against George Lucas himself, maybe he'd stop screwing up the film franchise!!

Hate to burst your bubble, but there were a lot of Speeders in the original games, but they were all just props slywink Would love for that to not be the case in this one though.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2009, 04:21:06 PM »

By bursting my bubble, you have sent me irrevocably to the Dark SideTM!  icon_evil

You've doomed me to becoming a surly teen with icky pony tails who acts sullen through 3 largely boring films. How could you do that to me?  icon_lol

Well yeah, lets wait and see. I want Speeders and Taun-Taun mounts, but there's been no mention of any mounts at all to this point. Given today's marketing trends, I could see the mounts becoming "DLC."  Roll Eyes

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2009, 12:01:03 AM »

Final 2 classes revealed

Sith Inquisitor & Jedi Consular. A mage and a ranged healer respectively.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 16, 2009, 04:21:06 PM

You've doomed me to becoming a surly teen with icky pony tails who acts sullen through 3 largely boring films. How could you do that to me?  icon_lol

angsty force savant class?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2009, 03:41:56 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 24, 2009, 12:01:03 AM

Final 2 classes revealed

Sith Inquisitor & Jedi Consular. A mage and a ranged healer respectively.
Boy with a name like "Darth Hater," it's got to be a cool web site.  icon_smile
Jake Neri on the Sith Inquisitor & Jedi Consular
http://darthhater.com/2009/11/23/jake-neri-on-the-sith-inquisitor-jedi-consular/
When you think of Sith Inquisitor, youíre thinking about how weíre talking about him today in the Emperor Palpatine mold, the force lightning using guy. But as time goes on, we will show you other ways to customize that class that will give you a different gameplay style. We thought as core classes the Consular and the Inquisitor made the most sense. We thought they balanced well against the other two. You can think of the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior as more of a melee-style Jedi, and the other two maybe more of the ranged-style Jedi. I think it made a lot of sense.
While I still plan to be a Smuggler, I don't know why a Sith wouldn't just yank me out of cover, and impale me on my blaster.  icon_razz

Although I'm not really into playing pet-focused characters in MMOs, I am kind of surprised none of the classes seem pet-focused. The Imperial Agent's targeting drone seems like the closest thing to a pet.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:48:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2009, 07:55:06 AM »

In a galaxy of thousands of inhabited Star Systems, with billions of people in each...how many Jedi were there, at their peak? 500? 1000?

And of those, how many had as awesome powers as Yoda and Luke? Remember, in the begining (and I refuse to aknowledge any other idiotic Midiclohrin movies) Luke could at times barely move his lightsaber with the force.

Its safe to say, no matter what, that both the JEdi and the Sith are very scarce, probably as common as Albino's in todays  society. While the albino will scare the living bejeezus out of me, I've never seen one. And the chance that the albino is also a vampire is frickin' small...same goes for meeting a Jedi who can snatch your lightsaber out of your hand and kill you without a seconds thought.

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »

Vampires? Is this the Twilight New Moon thread?  smirk

That IGN item links to an MMORPG.com forum thread that has scans of the German article:
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?post=3230162&bhcp=1&bhhash=1#3230162

There's a fledgling official thread:
The Final Two Classes Revealed!
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91932

Personally, I'm with the camp that thinks one "Force" class per side, maybe with some branching skill-set options for different "sub-types," would be a better way to go. Two force classes per side (when there's only 4 to choose from altogether) seems like overkill, at least on the surface. But presumably Bioware has a Plan, and expansions/updates could always bring in new classes later.

Some of the discussion at the official forums becomes amusing. I sense that if a given Force class can't fly, levitate a dozen targets in the air, and then decapitate them all with one light saber spin-o-rama, people will be screaming the class is "nerfed!"  icon_razz

Actual facts are rare, but they do have separate sub-forums on all the classes now:
Character class discussion forums
http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=34
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:49:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »

Are you mocking me, good sir? Then it will be pistols by dawn behind the Church in Aarhus...refusing to appear will result in forfeit of your lands and fortunes...

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2009, 01:46:36 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 24, 2009, 07:55:06 AM

In a galaxy of thousands of inhabited Star Systems, with billions of people in each...how many Jedi were there, at their peak? 500? 1000?

And of those, how many had as awesome powers as Yoda and Luke? Remember, in the begining (and I refuse to aknowledge any other idiotic Midiclohrin movies) Luke could at times barely move his lightsaber with the force.

Its safe to say, no matter what, that both the JEdi and the Sith are very scarce, probably as common as Albino's in todays  society. While the albino will scare the living bejeezus out of me, I've never seen one. And the chance that the albino is also a vampire is frickin' small...same goes for meeting a Jedi who can snatch your lightsaber out of your hand and kill you without a seconds thought.

While Star Wars: The Old Republic is raping and pillaging the Star Wars setting, they aren't doing so when it comes to the amount of Jedi. At its peak, the Jedi order encompassed thousands of Jedi at various stages of training. They were all picked up at a young age and subjected to a lifetime of training. People like the Skywalkers were exceptions. Luke had merely a few days of training with Obi-Wan before that was interrupted, and he later got a month or two at most with Yoda. He was exceptionally talented, which is why he was able to stand against Darth Vader (yet he couldn't defeat him without tapping into the Dark Side), yet both of them would have been readily defeated by a trained Jedi in his prime at the time of their battle (Luke got pretty powerful after the movies however). It's pretty safe to say that any adult Jedi would be able to snatch a weapon from an enemy with no effort, though doing that to another Jedi (or Sith) would be a bit harder for any of them. Yoda was powerful indeed, but far from the most powerful.

The Jedi were also a kind of "police force" for the Republic, so they were pretty well known amongst the population at large, though most of them might not ever see one in person.

Edit: When it comes to the various kinds of Force users in this game, Jedi were known to specialize quite a bit. Some used their powers for hyperspace navigation, for example. Others might have been experts at Battle Meditation. Still others could be excellent at mind control. It suits the setting fine to have different specializations.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2009, 03:53:09 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 24, 2009, 01:46:33 PM

Are you mocking me, good sir? Then it will be pistols by dawn behind the Church in Aarhus...refusing to appear will result in forfeit of your lands and fortunes...
*Slaps you with his Taun-Taun hide gloves.* Consider yourself mocked.  icon_smile

I will bet it sort of boils down to Consulars and Inquisitors having more zappy toys and physical motion effects, but being a lot less durable. Thus the Jedis and Sith Warriors are more "tanky" and the Consulats/Inquisitors more spellcasty. I don't think either class "wears armor" per se, so maybe it's more a matter of having a force "shield" available or something.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »

Jedi? Sith? BAh I say. I will kill all force sensitives I can find as my smuggler. "Get out of my head!" I'll be hid real well behind the bush in front of the senate building at noon. And even with all your force powers Im betting you cant pull me out of there. I will however shoot you a lot till dead. smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »

Blue's pointed this out in case anyone needs an injection of the "other era" of Star Wars, updated with earth 2009 technology  icon_razz
Star Wars Status Updates
http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1794889

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »

While the Imperial Agent was revealed some time ago, I belatedly noticed an mmorpg.com piece about getting to visit Lucasarts and watch a demo of the class in action (Nov. 20). One thing I didn't realize is that it gets the Smuggler's cover-fire mechanic.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Impressions of the Imperial Agent
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/3749
The class seemed to be a combination of an RPG rogue and control class. It takes advantage of the Smuggler's cover mechanic, which allows it to jump into predefined positions within each level to avoid immediate detection and fire off some salvos with more security. The first couple of encounters they tried showed that Agents better be ready to do some fore-planning.

For example, one ability let them toss a bomb at an enemy undetected. The trick is that it wouldn't go off until that enemy took damage. Then, they could mesmerize, distract or otherwise incapacitate (in our demo, they had a sleep dart) the second guard before turning the blaster onto the first guy, who would promptly explode.
And some interesting tidbits on the stealthiness:
Making use of a stealth belt, they can sneak around a level undetected. Through the use of a mechanic that hearkened back to the days of Thief: The Dark Project; the agent quickly takes out individual enemies with a very graphic and satisfying backstab. This was no subtle MMO style prod either. The knife was out, right through the guy's back (and out the other side) before you could blink an eye.
They apparently got a look at the two classes "outed" by that German site, and mmorpg.com plans to post their detailed preview/impressions Dec. 3.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:20 AM »

So its more of a rogue like thief character and the smuggler is more of an action type thief? Sounds fine. Well other than i have no idea which to try first now. I was planning on a smuggler being my main. the more I learn the less I can decide on though.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2009, 01:42:36 AM »

A Smuggler doesn't have sniper rifle skills like the Imperial Agent AFIK (smugglers can use 2 pistols, but I'm wondering if maybe they fire slower than when they just wield one, judging from videos). So there's the primo difference, imho. If they overlap a bit on cover-fire ability and stuff, it doesn't so much mean they're identical as much as they can both make use of cover.

I know this isn't from the "classic Star Wars era," but I still figure smugglers are more Han Solo -- "Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around!"  icon_cool And that's why I'd still be inclined to go Smuggler myself, cause I'm not good at sneaking in games. icon_smile And it sounds like the Imperial Agent's forte are on the far ends of the attack-range (either long range, or up close and personal).

I'm still surprised there isn't any sort of pet-focused class. I wasn't expecting like a swamp of pet-classes like Age of Conan or something, but it seemed logical to expect a class specializing in droids of some sort. It seems like one or two classes can summon a targeting or healing "ball droid" or something, that's the closest I've seen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:49:26 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »

Droid pet class was be fun. I'd love to build different types of them.

i was always hoping for a droid class to play. Like the assassin droids from the original Star Wars.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: