http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:39:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (dev posts, news items, fan sites etc.)  (Read 16157 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 14, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »

Thanks for the info Arclight. I did manage to find some info about the species abilities. My Cyborg is supposed to have the ability to scan friendly PC's - not that I completely understand how that's a boon or anything?  slywink  As much as I do think the smuggler is cool, I'm thinking of ditching him for a Jedi Consular, if only because I can see where this might be that much more fun with more in-close melee.

I'm  enjoying what I've played so far -just to level 5- but good God it is not Old Republic in theme at all IMO. At least not the better Old Republic canon that I was exposed to in the Dark Horse graphic novels. Heck even simple things like the Trooper uniform colors are wrong. It really feels more like a Rise of the Empire era game, but maybe my impressions will change as I play more.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2013, 08:14:34 AM »

Well damn - I got interested in this due to these posts and fired up a subscription and am having a ton of fun again. I can't even remember why I quit the first time :-)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 17, 2013, 08:14:34 AM

Well damn - I got interested in this due to these posts and fired up a subscription and am having a ton of fun again. I can't even remember why I quit the first time :-)

lack of Gungans?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2013, 11:27:45 AM

lack of Gungans?

...for target practice.   icon_cool
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »

A bit off topic, but for SWTOR players who also enjoy graphic novels - Dark Horse Comics is releasing Omnibus for the Knights of the Old Republic series on Sept 10th. I almost always wait until the series is available in omnibus before I buy them. Issues 0 -to- 18 for $25 is a heckuva a better price that what they cost in singles. Of course it's probably even that much cheaper on Amazon.  slywink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »

As someone who loved the game in late beta, and bought that ridiculous CE edition with the ridiculous Darth Maul statue who mocks me every day in my computer room  icon_smile, and for some months played it so much that I played it over breakfast, over dinner, and got into trouble for coming in too late to work after red eye playing sessions, why did I quit last summer?

I think I complained a lot about what I felt were unfair difficulty spikes, even in the storyline quests. I just too often found myself begging strangers to help me complete stuff I couldn't complete solo. I don't think my characters were broken per se. I don't mind a challenge, but I just felt the game was unfair often.

I didn't feel like Flashpoints were fair either - at least not later in the game. If Bioware was gonna make them brutally difficult, then to me there's an obligation not to make your party members hoof it what felt like miles back from a spawn point. I begged for some "mid Flashpoint spawn points" (check points, if you will), to reward you for progressing in it and leave less room for party members to "rage quit" over frustration.

We've all disagreed here over favorite zones and stuff. I loved Tatooine and its missions, I think because it did remind me of my more favorite Star Wars films. Hoth didn't quite live up to my expectations, and I have chafed at how the game engine didn't seem to allow for actual AT-AT walkers (couldn't handle animating things that huge I guess). Lot of later zones just didn't register with me at all. Maybe it's not the game's fault -- maybe I'd have been happier if SWTOR was set in SWG's "era."

And yeah later in the game people just generally seemed to be jerks on group content. Lot of rage-quits, rants at everyone for not playing perfectly, lots of people insisting you needed to do something even if that never ever worked. Of course that's not unique to SWTOR, it just gradually drained away my love for the game, which is a shame. Because much of the game I enjoyed, and I got really attached to my smuggler.

In the end I just found myself not wanting to play, for a couple months at one point, and that was time to unplug. Usually when I stop playing an MMO, it just boils down to, "Does playing this game make me consistently happy, or does it just make me upset?" And so SWTOR veered into the latter for me, which is why I haven't returned, even after the F2P switch.

Marvel Heroes may be simplistic, and people here don't seem to be interested in it for various reasons, but you know what? Playing it makes me consistently happy.  icon_smile The auto-matching for group instances work well, group play's fun with little or no fuss. Spawn points and "teleporting to party member" generally prevent rage-quits in instances and general frustration. It's an apples and oranges comparison I guess, but I don't have time anymore to play games that consistently upset me. Life is too short.  icon_smile

I guess I would be curious, now that SWG is dead, and SWTOR has had its fun, whether Disney would want to do a Star Wars MMO set in the "other" era again, maybe F2P from scratch.

I still feel like Bioware's timidness in terms of, say, trying a different combat system for light sabers, or developing a "real" space combat game (instead of an arcade-y mini-game) hurt the game but I wouldn't expect EA to have signed off on something Risky. SWTOR was certainly risky in terms of money spent, voiceover work etc., but not really in terms of gameplay and questing (aside from the race "storyline" stuff, which I mostly enjoyed when bosses weren't kicking my ass all over  icon_smile)

I still cherish my late late 2011/early 2012 time in the game's heyday. I don't think I'll try to go back home again, but those were good times, and I enjoyed finally being part of a game that the masses here were playing too. It was fun to see so many GTers in there then.  I'll shut up now before I get all weepy. icon_smile
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:02:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 19, 2013, 12:38:16 PM

bought that ridiculous CE edition with the ridiculous Darth Maul statue who mocks me every day in my computer room  icon_smile

Darth Malgus

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »

I started playing a few days ago and I just became a jedi! There doesn't seem to be much to do when you go off the beaten path (yellow lines) though. I was probably spoiled by Skyrim.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 25, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »

I've been playing on and off for about two months. Have a Jedi Consular to 55, Sith Jugg 53 and Sith Sorc 52.  Game is fun is spurts, so I'm enjoying myself.  When I get bored I step away and play something else.  Tonight it will be Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina's DLC

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »

Re-upped again since I had some credit stored up on my card.  Anyone still playing?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: