http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:35:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (dev posts, news items, fan sites etc.)  (Read 15527 times)
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 14, 2012, 03:25:34 AM

They've announced anyone with Legacy level 6 will get 30 free days too. So you dont need a 50 anymore.

They also gave an extension to the L50 requirement: you now have until April 22nd to get a character to L50. Since my top character is L48.3 at this point, I should be able to do that easily.

- Ash
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »

Say what you want about the game but at least Bioware is listening.  They made a nice gesture of giving 30 days to those who reached 50 and people who didnt get it complained.  They made adjustments to give others the opportunity to earn that extra month as well.  I understand that the game may not please everybody ( especially pvpers, as the game seems more focused on PVE aspects ) but it seems that Bioware is doing what they can to improve the experience.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »

*Sprint is now available at L1! You can use vehicles within orbital space stations and spaceports! You can catch a surface shuttle directly to your ship if the planet has an orbital station. The little things do sound happy-making. icon_biggrin

Here's the 1.2 patch notes:
http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.2.0/legacy
*It's certainly too crazy long to patch in entirety here. Here's their summary highlights:
Game Update 1.2 - Legacy introduces exciting new content and features for all Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ players. Dig deeper into your personal Star Wars saga with the expanded Legacy system! Construct your family tree and unlock new rewards, abilities, and perks for all the characters in your Legacy as you advance your characters.

Visit the Black Hole area on Corellia to complete new level 50 daily missions, experience the finale of the Rakghoul outbreak storyline in the Lost Island Flashpoint, and get ready to challenge the mercenary warlord Kephess and his deadly allies for control of Denova's critical resources in the all-new Operation: Explosive Conflict. You'll also have the chance to face off against your foes or participate in a same-faction training mission in the all-new Novare Coast Warzone, a 3-point domination battle!

Game Update 1.2 brings even more new features to Star Wars: The Old Republic. UI Customization has been added to the game! Detach, move, resize, and arrange UI elements to suit your personal playstyle in the new Interface Editor. Guild Banks are also available – store and share resources with your guild! Additions and changes have been made to Crew Skills, classes, and more - read the full patch notes to discover all the changes!

Highlights
    Players can now unlock a wide variety of rewards by leveling characters and reaching new Legacy levels, including buffs for your characters, unlocking additional Species choices for every class, and upgrades for your personal Starship. Build your own Legacy with the new Family Tree!
    Lost Island, a new Flashpoint, is available for play! Having uncovered the sources of the Rakghoul plague outbreak in the Tion Hegemony, players must travel to Ord Mantell and confront Dr. Lorrick, the mad scientist who engineered this horrific biological weapon.
    Explosive Conflict, a new Operation, is available for play! The Trandoshan mercenary warlord Kephess has seized the planet Denova, a world rich in resources valuable to the war effort. Players must assault his war camp, situated atop a mountain in densely-wooded terrain, fighting Imperial defectors and heavy war machines along the way. 8- and 16-player Story and Hard Modes are currently available for this Operation.
    Novare Coast, a new objective-oriented Warzone on the planet Denova, has been added to the game. This Warzone, like Huttball, supports same-faction matches if there are not enough members of the opposing faction to be found.
   - New repeatable high-level daily missions are available in a new area on Corellia, the Black Hole!
   - Guilds now have access to a shared Guild Bank, accessible on the Fleets, with expandable storage.
   - A new tier of gear has been added for both PvP and PvE.
    - Players can now customize their User Interface by moving and resizing UI elements!
    A new level 50 World Boss with a challenge for a well-coordinated 16-player Operation Group has been sighted in the Gormak Lands region on Voss.

General
   *The Imperial Transportation Authority and the Galactic Republic Safety Council have authorized the use of vehicles in Orbital Space Stations and Spaceports.
    In-game rewards will be available to players who participate on the Public Test Server. Players will receive a title if they attain level 10 on PTS, and another if they complete Chapter 1.
    -A new preference, "Character Texture Atlasing," is now available. Enabling this option increases the texture quality used when rendering character models.
    -A new "Customize" option now appears on the character sheet. One of the features this button enables is the ability to color coordinate any individual piece of armor with the equipped chestpiece.
    -A new preference, "Awareness Radius," allows players to adjust the number of characters displayed on-screen. Reducing this setting can improve performance in crowded areas on low-end machines.
    -On planets with an Orbital Station, players can now travel directly from the planet shuttle on the surface to their ship.
    -The Sprint ability is now available at level 1.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »

From ArsTechnica report on EA's financial earnings stuff:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/05/ea-the-old-republic-has-lost-nearly-one-quarter-of-its-subscribers-since-march.ars
It looks like the analysts were right in their suspicions that EA and Bioware's The Old Republic MMO is already losing subscribers just a few months after its late 2011 launch. In an earnings report issued today, EA announced that the game currently has 1.3 million active subscribers, down nearly 25 percent from the 1.7 million active subscribers reported in March.

In a conference call accompanying the earnings report, EA Labels President Frank Gibeau said the drop was in line with the company's "original assumptions" about how the game would fare after launch. Nonetheless, he added that the company "intends to increase subscribers" with continual upgrades, including new guild features, player vs. player improvements, and "elder gameplay" that keeps the game appealing to high-level players.

Gibeau also stressed that "core MMO users" are sticking with the game in good numbers, and suggested that the subscriber drop comes mainly from the expanded audience of non-MMO-obsessed Star Wars fans attracted by a title like The Old Republic. "As the service evolves, some of those initial casual customers have gone through a billing cycle and decided not to subscribe," Gibeau said.

Even with the subscriber drops, players shouldn't be worried about the game becoming a drag on EA's bottom line. CEO John Riccitiello has previously suggested that The Old Republic could remain profitable with as little as 500,000 subscribers.
According to Blue's (http://www.bluesnews.com/s/132101/the-old-republic-losing-subs-gaining-add-ons):
Quote from: Blue's News
EA also announces two new content packs, "Legacy" and "Allies," will be coming to the game this quarter.

Can you smell the DOOMMMMMMM?  paranoid I don't know about "profitable," I'm just pretty sure EA wouldn't be happy if it sank millions into a game that launched spectacularly and deteriorated to 500,000 subscribers.

For my part, I'm still subscribing even though I've barely played in months. I was going to cancel last week but realized my 3-month subscription renewal had kicked in. Clearly I'll probably be playing mostly Diablo 3 in the coming months, but at some point I'll try to get back into this.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:20:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 08, 2012, 05:12:56 PM

For my part, I'm still subscribing even though I've barely played in months. I was going to cancel last week but realized my 3-month subscription renewal had kicked in. Clearly I'll probably be playing mostly Diablo 3 in the coming months, but at some point I'll try to get back into this.

If you cancel, you can still play the rest of the subscription time and if you just really aren't playing anymore, you can then not be charged automatically.  If you do find yourself playing, even if it cancels, you can always resub with no ill effects.  I'd just hate to see you miss the date three months from now and pay again when you just don't play.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »

I quite like the game, I had just had my 200 hours or so worth for the moment and most others had stopped playing. Kind of shame, I probably won't use any of the free month. I have a 60 day card set aside for when I feel like going back.

If you don't like that style of PVP and don't have people to raid with, there's not much incentive to keep up a monthly sub. I'm kind of amazed that WoW has managed what they have. People who would stick with SWTOR are probably the same that stick with WoW, and with so much invested in WoW, it's not surprising they would go back even after giving SWTOR a chance.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »

Can you feel... the DOOOMMMMM... toniiiight....

SWTOR upgrades classes and starts merging servers
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/06/swtor-upgrades-classes-and-starts-merging-servers/
Secondly, BioWare is well aware of the population issues on a large portion of servers. That is why on June 12th, the team will begin the free character transfer service. In a soft server merge system similar to the one implemented by Star Wars Galaxies, BioWare will open up specific servers as origin servers and others as destination servers. To help BioWare maintain a bit of control over the situation, the transfer precess will be "gradual and staged," according the developer blog post.

The specific details regarding which servers will be affected have not be released yet, but rest assured that Massively will let you in on the latest details when they become available.

[Update: Community Manager Joveth Gonzalez gave more detail on the official forums about how the origin and destination servers will work: "In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we'll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server."]

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »

Star Wars: The Old Republic: “we are looking at free-to-play,” says lead designer
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/star-wars-the-old-republic-we-are-looking-at-free-to-play-says-lead-designer/
BioWare’s Star Wars: The Old Republic has faced some hard times since launching at the tail-end of 2011. Lead designer Emmanuel Lusinchi discusses the effects of losing over 400,000 subscribers earlier in the year and facing off increasingly stiff competition from free-to-play competitors.
“The MMO market is very dynamic and we need to be dynamic as well,” he says. “Unless people are happy with what they have, they are constantly demanding updates, new modes and situations. So we are looking at free-to-play but I can’t tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on.”
In case you're having a "Who the Bleep is Emmanuel Lusinchi?" moment, James Ohlen is still around but his title has always been "Game Director."

Just remember nothing is really FREE free. If it goes F2P, I suspect various aspects of customizing might become For-A-Fee for F2P players, perhaps even some Flashpoints might become paid content. I guess it's just a question of what F2P models they want to... model themselves after.

Playing
PC
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »

I would think after watching the quick decline of swtor that most investors and studios would approach the idea of a new subscription based mmorgp with extreme caution.  It's not a guaranteed cash cow...and it's an investment that could sink a business (or two).  The monthly subscription model is really unnattractive, regardless of the game, when there are so many good alternatives out there that don't require a monthly sub.  I think WoW may be a dinosaur in that regard, the best and potentially last of its kind.           
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »

Makes you wonder if Funcom is already shitting bricks over Secret World - and it hasn't even released yet.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »

Rift seems to be humming a long pretty well. I don't subscribe anymore, but I still get their emails and it seems like they are constantly adding nice new content. They've announced their expansion as well.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 15, 2012, 07:41:20 PM

Rift seems to be humming a long pretty well. I don't subscribe anymore, but I still get their emails and it seems like they are constantly adding nice new content. They've announced their expansion as well.

RIFT is doing well.  I just stopped playing recently and it has a pretty lively community.  LOTRO is another very good MMO.  As far as MMOs go, right now I think RIFT is probably the best of the bunch.  That is until Guild Wars 2 is released.

Yeah, and that expansion is huge.  They're tripling the size of the world.   eek

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »

Well, I'm still playing and just got transferred over to the PvP Fatman server frmo Hedarr Soongh (sp?).  All I can say is--the game is fun again!  The declining populations were terrible, but Fatman has TONS of players, playing across all the levels.  You'll actually find new players and old players on alts in the early zones again to group with.

As far as MMORPGs goes, SWTOR does offer some of the best PvE stories to run through with friends, so I heartily recommend playing it if you have other family members or friends to play with as you level.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »

CVG

EA will purge its Star Wars: The Old Republic Asia-Pacific servers and migrate all players to the North America network, a company representative has announced.

A considerable amount of work lies ahead in order to enact the migration, EA said, so no timelines were offered. It is believed that the activity on the three existing Asia Pacific servers has been lower than initial estimations.
Old Republic community manager Eric Musco said the decision was guided by community feedback.

"One common theme from suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers," he said.

"With this in mind, we have evaluated all of the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American servers."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »

Started replaying this again recently. When I had to choose a server the population status on each of them either displayed High or whatever was above that (Full?). So wondering how they are going to hold up with a new influx of players. It is nice having a bunch of players running around in the game (at least in the starting areas).
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »

I just started up again during the first of the double xp weekends and was able to finish my Bounty Hunter (powertech) storyline and hit 50.  I'm playing preferred status with a few unlocks that I bought.  I liked the bounty hunter class story experience.  It was better than the GW2 story that I completed for my 80 Charr engineer a few weeks ago.  GW2 has TOR beat in every other gameplay category that matters though.  That said, I'm going to play my level 26 assassin this weekend to take advantage of the xp boost, and to get further in the story.  The female VO for Sith Inquisitors is really good, with some very funny evil villian dialogue. 

I wish there was less grindy mmo aspects in swtor, and more of the class story or group stories.  Grouping with friends in swtor can be really fun, especially watching your characters compete for dialogue screentime.  But all of the mmo sidequests are a downer, and just weren't needed.           
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »

I've been playing the new expansion to ToR. The Rise and Fall of the Hutt Empire...something like that.. icon_lol

Took my limp noodle of a PvP character, 50 commando to Makeb, or is it Makeme?? I dunno.

The planet looks fine, but its a cheesy layout that is trying to make you feel the world is bigger than it is. Chunks of land with a void in between them. Getting around Make-me is a mess if you ask me.
When you take a taxi you get the lift of sequence but then, zap you're at the destination. Again I think this is to keep how small it is from our view.

I really don't get that new-content, lots to do again feeling from it. People blew through the 5 new levels in a couple of days, some less than a day. I know there are always the one's doing the "I finished first" thing, but even a casual player will be capped in no time.

For all the time they put into this expansion it feels more like an update than an ex-pac.
For me the score I would give it  would be a sloppy 3 out of 10. Unless they packed all the fun and exciting stuff into the last level I feel pretty much assured that I've seen what Make-me is all about.

And here's a real kicker of a bug that's cropped up since the update. Going into a WZ I notice a fellow commando @lv 35. I check out his HP and he's at something like 24,000. I looked at mine, and I'm geared really well;
my HP's were 19000. I started a chat about it, and I guess I was the last to get the memo. Everyone is experiencing it. One way to get more HP's is to take of all your armor. I tried it on advice from another player. Looked at my HP's and I was up to about 22,000 hit points.
I would have thought that bug would be priority one for a fix. Its still there today.

I get the feeling this is SW:ToR's swan song. Even with FTP, this game is just marking time. Once people get a taste of what they waited ages for is a yawn fest, all confidence in ToR rising from the ashes like a Phoenix will be hosed.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »

Whelp, that answers my "should I give it another look" question.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »

I have 2 level 50s now courtesy of the double xp weekends, but I'm not really interested in doing the Makeb expansion yet.  I just wanted to experience the main storyline for those characters as a preferred status player.  

I don't know about the game going away anytime soon, it depends on how much $ they are making from subs+the Cartel Store.  It would be interesting to see what those #s looked like after switching to the ftp model.    

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »

As a Star Wars fan, this game depresses me.  It turned out to be less Star Warsy than SWG.  At least in SWG I felt somewhat in character in what felt like an evolving world.  All that money they spent in TOR should have been spent on establishing a great Star Wars single player RPG franchise because it just doesn't work as a MMO.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »

For some reason, I decided to give SWTOR a look this weekend.  I know it's cool to hate on, but I'll be damned if the story elements aren't the most compelling (by far) in the MMO genre.  As someone who plays almost entirely solo and couldn't give a rip about end-game, high level, grouped content, SWTOR is still pretty fun.  Started up an Imperial Agent, and it's been pretty awesome.  I'm also playing a stealthy ranged character for the first time ever (I'm typically a sword & board melee), so maybe it's just the change of pace that's appealing.  Regardless, I'm strongly considering subbing for a month or two to get around the F2P restrictions.

I'll agree, however, that I wish we could have just had a single player Star Wars KOTOR RPG.  frown
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:10:23 AM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 14, 2013, 05:19:21 AM

For some reason, I decided to give SWTOR a look this weekend.  I know it's cool to hate on, but I'll be damned if the story elements aren't the most compelling (by far) in the MMO genre.  As someone who plays almost entirely solo and couldn't give a rip about end-game, high level, grouped content, SWTOR is still pretty fun.  Started up an Imperial Agent, and it's been pretty awesome.  I'm also playing a stealthy ranged character for the first time ever (I'm typically a sword & board melee), so maybe it's just the change of pace that's appealing.  Regardless, I'm strongly considering subbing for a month or two to get around the F2P restrictions.

I'll agree, however, that I wish we could have just had a single player Star Wars KOTOR RPG.  frown

It has a lot of faults but if you play it as a single player story based RPG that just happens to have other people playing you'll probably love it.  Each of the stories are great, most of the game can be solo'd, other people are around to help if you need it and just about everything too hard to solo can be skipped if you want.  You could easily get a couple hundred hours out of it playing each of the main classes to 50 even if you never touched end game.  The biggest problem I had is the game is slightly linear once you get off the starting planet.  You have a little choice but nothing like...well WoW...where you could literally level two alliance characters to 60 and never hit the same zones due to the huge amount of zones, quests and different continents available.

They have made a huge number of changes in the past year though and it's in far better shape then it used to be.  I think the F2P is way too restrictive compared to others right now and the cash shop doesn't hide pay to win but it's the only star wars fix available smile
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2013, 03:19:12 AM »

Multiplayer just kills the immersion since you have other people doing the same quest as you competing for the same drops/kills and dragging around clones of story characters that are supposed to be unique to the world.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »

So nobody is still playing this, right?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 01, 2013, 03:55:19 PM

So nobody is still playing this, right?

Went with Neverwinter for a while but it fizzled out really quick for me. Partly due to the heavy instancing, but a few more key things I felt were lacking.

Went back to SWToR, and found the game surprisingly fun again. I have my main, a Kathar Commando @55. I bought a few paks and luck of the draw
I got some nice stuff.
So, once again I'm drawn back into the game. For me I find the all-around design of the game better suited to me than Neverwinter.

But with a couple of potentially good MMO's on the radar, I'll be jumping ship again to suss them out.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »

Been playing the last 2 months. Was starting to get sick of it going in to this 3rd month but just started doing the expansion pack and its actually pretty decent and has me interested again. Still have a few L50 Flashpoints to do and the last part of getting HK-51 as a companion but I figure once I finish those and the expansion I'm done by the end of this month until another expansion.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »

The loot system in Neverwinter is so bland that I'd rather eat oatmeal with no sugar in it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:21 AM »

Been trying to get back into this one this weekend.

I'm on Hoth and somehow a level or two under powered.   MAN is it a GRIND if you find yourself under powered.    Unfortunately I don't really know where else to backtrack to to speed things up.  frown
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:09 PM »

MS, look on the space map on your ship. Mouse over the planets and see the recommended levels for each. Picking a planet a level or so higher would be fine.
you should be able to find the appropriate planet(s) no problem.

How is your story line going? Are you under level for the next story-mission?
Even queing up for War Zones give some decent exp. too. Sometimes I've used that on alts, to "fill the gap".

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »

Hoth is so boring, same with Tatoine I barely spent time on either of those. For some reason I had no problems leveling up and was quickly out leveling worlds before completing all the story missions.

I was also picking up a lot of these 25% experience boost for 1hr items. If you have those might try using them. Or see if you can buy them on the auction house. And probably want to head back to, or go to, Quesh. Better looking world as is.

One other thing too is if you complete all the world quests there's usually "bonus mission" questions from that same world you can do. Just gotta find where they start - typically back at the space port of the world.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 04, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »

I seem to remember one planet being a grind even though I was the appropriate level; I think it was Alderaan.  once I got to the next planet everything was fine again.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »

fwiw, Tatooine was one of my favorite questing areas in the game. I think at least partially it was just because it reminded me of stuff in the earlier, better movies.

Some other, later zones reminded me of nothing.

While I thought I'd enjoy Hoth, I was annoyed by game engine limitations like only encountering "dead" AT-AT walkers (I think the engine just wasn't capable of rendering them as animated, moving mech things). And some group instances there I found utterly exasperating. If you wandered 1 step in the wrong direction, your group was swarmed by multiple mobs and doomed. But, eh, what am I saying? Many mmorpgs are like that...

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »

Tatt was well done I felt in Tor, but I was hoping for a SWG Tattoine, along those lines ToR was a disappointment.

Hoth was another Planet I was looking forward to; and I was more disappointed with it than Tatt.

I think my favorite Planet Belsavis. I had no expectations with it.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2013, 06:15:28 AM »

I finally decided to give this MMO a go, but I must say I'm really turned off by the slow download speed. I recently dloaded and installed Vanguard, RIFT and Planetside 2 on a new PC and they completed in a fraction of the time this is taking. Is the craptastic download rate an indication of how lacklustre this game is?

The other question I have is whether or not it's actually f2p. When I created an account it mentioned free play, but I've noticed on the actual SWTOR site that the "free" aspect is very down played. Is all that's free about it a time trial or a low level capped game, or it actually close to a true f2p biz model?

The  other question I have is whether the following species classes combos are worth considering?
Cyborg-Smuggler-Scoundrel (sawbones)
Cyborg-Smuggler-Scoundrel (scrapper)
Twi'lek-Jedi Consular-Sage (Seer)
Twi'lek-Jedi Consular-Shadow (Kinetic Combat)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:20:44 AM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »

while in know this game has been getting mixed reviews since its been out

I was kind of hoping that there would of been a PS4/XB1 announcement,as i still want to give this a go

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 13, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 13, 2013, 09:15:11 AM

while in know this game has been getting mixed reviews since its been out

I was kind of hoping that there would of been a PS4/XB1 announcement,as i still want to give this a go

It's not something that would work with a controller, so unless they are going to release keyboard/mouse games I wouldn't bet on it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »

they are releasing FFXIV for the Ps's, I imagine that needs at least a keyboard so you can spam trade chat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 13, 2013, 06:15:28 AM

I finally decided to give this MMO a go, but I must say I'm really turned off by the slow download speed. I recently dloaded and installed Vanguard, RIFT and Planetside 2 on a new PC and they completed in a fraction of the time this is taking. Is the craptastic download rate an indication of how lacklustre this game is?

The other question I have is whether or not it's actually f2p. When I created an account it mentioned free play, but I've noticed on the actual SWTOR site that the "free" aspect is very down played. Is all that's free about it a time trial or a low level capped game, or it actually close to a true f2p biz model?

The  other question I have is whether the following species classes combos are worth considering?
Cyborg-Smuggler-Scoundrel (sawbones)
Cyborg-Smuggler-Scoundrel (scrapper)
Twi'lek-Jedi Consular-Sage (Seer)
Twi'lek-Jedi Consular-Shadow (Kinetic Combat)

I haven't played the F2P aspect of this one but from what I understand you can level to 50 and have access to all quest based content. Initially I know they basically hindering F2P players by making you pay for the ability to run, or pilot, teleport, or anything that you would normally want to do. I think they've gone back on some of that but not sure how much.

Also I think you need to pay in to get a pass to do starship pilot missions (boring) or Flashpoints (fun).

So I don't think you should go in to the game with the mindset that you can get to 50 without paying something.

For classes I play a Jedi Sage (Consular) now as my main. I'm primarily built as a healer for a threesome group I play with. I have no problems soloing when it comes to that. The people I play with are both tanks and they typically have problems where they can't take on large groups (4-5) and will typically need me to assist.

Even though I'm a healer I do a fair amount of damage too, so I don't run in to problems when fighting large groups. I also switched my companion from a tank to a pure DPS and we just tear through enemies.

I also have a L45 Bounty Hunter Mercenary which is badass. They are mainly area DPS with some healing and from what I recall they could solo quite easily. I'm not sure what the Scoundrel equivalent was but it should be a blast to play as well.

One other thing to keep in mind is each class has a storyline quest you'll follow throughout. The Bounty Hunter storyline was pretty decent with you taking on a bunch of other Bounty Hunters in a contest. The Consular storyline quests were not too bad and went between tracking down mind controlled jedi to building an alliance to help fight against the Empire - but its slow going and a bunch of those missions were yawn fests. So another thing you might consider when choosing a class.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 13, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

Many thanks for replying Crawley, that's a lot of good info. So it sounds like it's f2p for the most part, but there's a need to pay for Flashpoint for the content that's the most enjoyable. I can live with that, provided I don't need to get flashpoint right away - at least long enough to decide whether or not I enjoy the game. The 1st thing I noticed as a f2p player was that I was limited to Human, Zabeck (don't know if I spelled that correctly) and Cyborg as species - so bummer that there's no Twi'lek as a f2p'er. I went with a Cyborg-Smuggler, because the 1st 2 species didn't interest me and I couldn't see being a Cyborg Jedi Consular. I may still reconsider that though.

I plan to play a lot of this solo since most of my MMO friends are grinding out Rift right now, so I did a bit of reading after I posted last night re. best classes for solo. The consensus seemed to be that just about any Healer-Tank companion, or Tank-Healer companion combo was doable. The impression I got as well, was that species has very little to do with the effectiveness of you toon - don't know if that's correct or not, but that seems to be what people were writing. I'd be interested to hear why you switched your companion from Tank to DPS and whether or not you play solo much?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 14, 2013, 12:05:09 AM »

Each species has a "special" thing they do, non combative. Like cheering, roaring, meditating while floating. Not much else I'm afraid.

I usually take a healer type companion. But that's largely due to the fact I play dps classes.
I have one @ 55, and two at 53...and a Sniper at 46.

My favorite class, and I've played them all is Trooper-with commando as my AC. They were woefull in PvP until 2.0. I'm having fun again in PvP with my Mando.
I've spent money on the Cartel Market and got a few good things from it. As a subscriber I get a lot of perks FTP people don't. Some the FTP guys can buy through the
CM.
I played so much of SWToR when it first came out and for 6 months after. Got bored, did the rounds and just came back for the new update. "Rise of the Hutt Cartel"
I'm having fun again in ToR. Ton's of missions, for rep, and some nice rewards along the way.

For me picking a class to play comes down to basics. Do I want; dps,healer,tank. Then you can also decide if you want Healer with dps, etc, etc.
They do need to work on getting some new classes out. And also the ability to respec AC.

I'm sure you'll get hours of solo fun out of it. That's all I play. Never had an issue with it. Most group oriented content I've done, is like most grouping in a MMO, you have to put up with alot of guys who think they know every trick in the book, and they will continually tell you how to play your class. But that's pick up groups. I'm sure Guilds and friends have a much better time of it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: