http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:36:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (dev posts, news items, fan sites etc.)  (Read 13284 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »

After all these years of playing MMO'S it's par for the course. The very nature of the beast is to segregate, and separate differing play styles, in effect instigating elitism. I would love a development team to create a MMO, basement to roof, according to their dreams and desires for it. Instead we get insipid games trying to be all things to all people. This in my opinion, is a root cause of the major problems with MMO'S.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2012, 04:48:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 20, 2012, 12:36:26 PM

Here I'm complaining quest bosses are too hard and mid to upper Flashpoints too exasperating and I had it wrong all along. The game is Too Easy. Clearly everything needs to be harder and take even more time to complete.  Roll Eyes

I don't think that's an "elitist" claim. I just don't have 3 hours to even play most weekday evenings.

Actually, what that post meant (I think) is that they learned how to beat a never before attempted boss (without full voice chat - hence the mention about non-guild members) in only 3 hours.

In short - the boss had few tricks up its sleeve, and little really challenging to it. Just go in and tank-and-spank it.

Even WoW had bosses that took more time than that to 'learn' and such. That's what the post is about.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 20, 2012, 04:02:35 PM

After all these years of playing MMO'S it's par for the course. The very nature of the beast is to segregate, and separate differing play styles, in effect instigating elitism. I would love a development team to create a MMO, basement to roof, according to their dreams and desires for it. Instead we get insipid games trying to be all things to all people. This in my opinion, is a root cause of the major problems with MMO'S.

The insipid games work and make lots (and lots) of money.  I love the niche hardcore games...but many of them are lucky to have 25,000 subs and 3 servers.  I love sandbox games but every one I've played turns into a mass PvP kill zone that's impossible to advance in if you don't start at the beginning.  WoW works because it fills that niche that the majority of gamers want (and prove it with their wallets).  It's casual where you can play 5 hours per week.  It's dedicated were you can play 40 hours per week.  I know people who do nothing but play the AH and fish...others who do nothing but concentrate on PvP.  It has 3+ hour raids and 20 min dungeons.  And it's huge where you could easily take at least three characters to max level and still not cover every area (until the very end).  Yes the truly hardcore make fun of it but honestly they make up about .5% of the market and the big names could honestly care less about them.  They spend so little in comparison that the casual players will continue to rule.

I think the problem with SWTOR is that it tried to be WoW with a Star Wars skin but it copied WoW of 2008 and not WoW of 2011.  I think 1.2 will go a long way towards fixing a lot of complaints but on the other hand how many people have already left to go back to something else...100,000?  300,000?  I'd be honestly surprised if they truly stabilized at the 1.7m mark and that it's not closer to 1.2m in a couple more months.

BTW, Rift seems to be the closest to the game you mentioned.  It's smaller, dev lead by people who actually care about it, have regular and frequent updates and has become more popular in the past six months instead of less.  It's not even close to perfect but it's the closest I can think of in a commercial MMO smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

I'm hoping Guild Wars 2 will do what EA-Bioware was scared to do -- stop trying to put new coats of paint on an increasingly tiresome, predictable genre (mmorpgs) and try to put some imagination, creativity and innovation into it (including unpredictability). Use a blender, so to speak, shake things up, and see if people respond to that and get excited about it enough to stick around once an mmorpg's "hot launch phase" is over.

This Ctrl-Alt-Delete strip says it all (and Tim Buckley was as enthusiastic a fan as I was, if not more so):
Retention

Honestly, I've had a lot more fun in ME3 co-op the last few weeks, even if hardly anyone talks on the headsets. We work together, we rez each other, we don't bitch and moan about people "not tanking right, not dps'ing right, not mezzing right" etc. etc. etc. And my Origin friends list is suddenly full of people who want to play with me (and vice versa). And I don't have to struggle to find other people to join me on content. All stuff I was constantly dealing with in my last few mmorpgs.

So I'm thinking at this point I should stop looking to mmorpgs for my "sociable gaming." Maybe stuff like ME3 co-op, Diablo 3 co-op and Torchlight 2 co-op should be what I look for in terms of having fun gaming with other folks, without a lot of fuss/frustration. I look forward to catching up with GTers in all of those.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »

I almost bought this as real until I remembered today's date.  icon_lol

Live the Ship Droid Experience
Jedi Knights, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters and the other class characters may be the heroes in the wider galaxy, but on board the starship, the Ship Droids are the heroes. That’s why, as part of Game Update 1.2, you will soon be able to assume direct control over your Droid’s actions with Ship Droid™, a brand new mini-game coming to The Old Republic!

Features of this mini-game include cleaning the cockpit windows, calibrating the ship’s food processors, and several other exciting maintenance duties:
Well played.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »

The best feature though is, "SHUT THE FUCK UP, DROID!", which I expect like 95% of the game's population to do. Fucking stupid ass droid that won't shut the fuck up until now...

And my feature is real. Part of the next major patch. Thankfully.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »

UI customization (a few months late?) detailed:

A Quick Look at UI Customization [video]
Game Update 1.2: Legacy for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ introduces several new systems to the game, including the option for you to customize your User Interface. You’ll be able to alter the placement and size of each UI element to suit your own personal preference.
Seems to be some kind of configuration menu with a drop down menu on it. Seems like you can either globally alter things (scale etc.) or individually. And seems like you can name a group of settings once you have it as you like it, so you can quickly switch back to it (or, hopefully, when playing as a different character, you can quickly get it back to the settings you prefer).

If I was cynical, I'd replace some of the guy's chatter with stuff like "Even though testers were complaining about the lack of UI configuration options for months and months and months, we really wanted to wait until a few months after launch, when players had started leaving the game, to finally institute this feature the game should've had years ago, early in development. Because that's how we do things at Bioware! -- we wait until everyone's upset, and then we fix it!" disgust icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:21:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »

On closer listening, it is cool:
-Once you've got the whole UI set up and placed and resized as you like it, you can save it (it's saved locally to your hard drive) and then quickly load it for any other characters. Definitely like that.  icon_cool
-You can also send it in the form of XML to another player if they want to see if they like how you set it up too.
-There are three presets. One's default, the other has the extra hotkey bars in place. The third one is "traditional MMO" and puts the mini-map in the upper right, and the chat window in the lower left (i.e., opposite of SWTOR's default).

It looks like you can move every individual element (including hotkeybars) in the UI configuration mode.

Seems like you can individually configure a hotkey bar to have as few or as many (I assume there's a maximum) hotkeys as you want, setting the # of slots, and the slots per row. It looks like the max might be something like 12 slots per hotkey bar. So you could probably set up something more sort of square/rectangular like by breaking that into 3-4 slots per row.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:45:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »

Hey guys: I'm looking for anyone who would like to start some new characters and build them together.

I have found I really enjoy the stories more when I share them with another character. Also leveling together feels fairer instead of getting a higher level player to kill everything for me on a tough mission.

I can usually play in the evenings for about 2 hours 2 to 3 times a week. I like to use steam to coordinate and communicate.

Anyone interested?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »

Have they announced a specific release date for 1.2?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on April 05, 2012, 03:58:11 PM

Hey guys: I'm looking for anyone who would like to start some new characters and build them together.

I have found I really enjoy the stories more when I share them with another character. Also leveling together feels fairer instead of getting a higher level player to kill everything for me on a tough mission.

I can usually play in the evenings for about 2 hours 2 to 3 times a week. I like to use steam to coordinate and communicate.

Anyone interested?

I still have an active sub, but I haven't played in a few months and have been wanting to get back in.  This might be a good way to do so.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 05, 2012, 04:46:48 PM

Have they announced a specific release date for 1.2?
I think it's still "when it's done," as it's still undergoing heavy duty testing on the public test server.

Oops. According to the updates page, 1.2 is due "soon."  smirk

You can actually catch me on Origin more often these days though I'm fine with keeping Steam up too. I'd like to get back into the game but was going to wait for the 1.2 update. It's changing so many things fundamentally (balancing adjustments etc.), I just figure post-release of that would be an idea time to "start over."

I'm pretty burned out on The Republic and think I might be more game to start anew on The Empire side (didn't really get too far with the classes I tried there), though I'm not picky.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:41:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2012, 10:57:24 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 05, 2012, 05:01:08 PM

Quote from: Scoop20906 on April 05, 2012, 03:58:11 PM

Anyone interested?

I still have an active sub, but I haven't played in a few months and have been wanting to get back in.  This might be a good way to do so.

This idea is cool.  I was hoping to join you on this, but my free time to play is too limited atm.  Would be great if you get like four of you guys together.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:20:01 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2012, 01:28:39 PM »

I suggest that, due to limited free time, you pick 1 or 2 days in the week and a specific time on which to log on and do a group quest: either a flashpoint or a heroic. I know I'd be up for doing the lower level flashpoints, even if only to get social points. Not now though, maybe in a few weeks smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »

Interesting poll (you need to be logged in to the official forums to be able to vote on this):

Feedback request from James Ohlen - "Your Star Wars fantasy"
*I don't even know what "full 3D space battles" implies -- I assume "move anywhere." If it's "a little more ambitious space combat that isn't on rail," or "a space combat that's integrated and isn't basically a time-wasting mini-game," I'm all for it.  icon_cool I assume that's what people are guessing at, and why they're voting for that so strongly.

If it means I have to wear funny glasses and buy a $400 video card to see "3D" space battles, I'm not.  disgust That may sound dumb, but I'm not ruling out anything.  icon_razz

As far as vehicle combat, I'd at least like to SEE AT-ATs and the like running around and blasting stuff. Even if we couldn't interact with them, I think that would really liven up some of the environments. Constantly running into "dead" and distmantled AT-ATs and other vehicles that just sit there just reminds you that this game engine can't seem to handle anything larger than a personal speeder in terms of animated vehicles, unless you count stuff like the quick travel shuttles later on.
=============
I plan to try to get back into swtor once 1.2 goes live. If I can't "restart the fire," then I'm canceling in part because I expect Diablo 3 to consume my gaming time starting in May, so why not "clear the decks"?  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:56:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »

Hey:

Cool!! I'm not pressed to play for hours every night either. I just want to enjoy my star wars time and I've found group play is actually ALOT of fun in star wars where it seemed more annoying in other MMOs I have tried.

I'm eastern time as well. All I suggest is that we all agree to pick two days a week and a time that works for us to play our characters together. If someone can't make it its no big deal. Those of us there can decide to reschedule or play some quests and when the other member comes back we can re-run the quests they didn't get.

My best days are week nights mostly Mondays and Thursdays but I'm open to anything but Fridays. I'm thinking 8:00 or 9:00 pm is the best time to start. We can do an hour or two and then hit the cantina.

I'm open for either Empire (Bounty Hunter or Sith Inquistor) or Republic (Trooper, Jedi Knight, Jedi Counselor). I'd like to have a core group who build our characters and adventure together with the occasional higher level ally joining us for Flashpoints and stuff.

Lockdown, you can just start with us and then play when you can make the time. No expectations even if you are gone for a few weeks.

So, if you want to join our cause please leave the following info:

Name:
Preferred Server:
Preferred Side/Class:
Preferred Days and Times:
Time Zone:

I will go first:
Name: Scoop20906
Preferred Server: Rubat Crystal
Preferred Side/Class: Republic/Jedi Knight or Empire/Sith Inquistor
Preferred Days and Times: Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday starting at 8:00 or 9:00 pm
Time Zone: Eastern

Name: Arkon
Preferred Server: Any
Preferred Side/Class: I have played mostly on Republic side, so would prefer Empire, probably Bounty Hunter.
Preferred Days and Times: Mondays and Tuesdays are likely my best days

??

??
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:36:12 AM by Scoop20906 » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »

Preferred Side/Class: I have played mostly on Republic side, so would prefer Empire, probably Bounty Hunter.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 06, 2012, 10:15:53 PM

Great Arkon! Monday works for me and I'd happily play empire. Lets see if we can get two more people to join our adventure!

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »

I may jump in with you.  Would prefer to do Empire characters, I have 8 republic on Ajunta Pol now.  Tuesday evenings I am usually doing something with Boy Scouts.  I live in Texas so when you say 8-9 what time zone are you talking?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »

Quote from: drifter on April 07, 2012, 01:15:02 PM

I may jump in with you.  Would prefer to do Empire characters, I have 8 republic on Ajunta Pol now.  Tuesday evenings I am usually doing something with Boy Scouts.  I live in Texas so when you say 8-9 what time zone are you talking?

I believe Texas is one hour behind eastern?
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »

I would be up for doing this.  i have one of everything Empire and Republic so I don't care which side or what server.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 07, 2012, 06:35:58 PM

Quote from: drifter on April 07, 2012, 01:15:02 PM

I may jump in with you.  Would prefer to do Empire characters, I have 8 republic on Ajunta Pol now.  Tuesday evenings I am usually doing something with Boy Scouts.  I live in Texas so when you say 8-9 what time zone are you talking?

I believe Texas is one hour behind eastern?

Except for El Paso.  We don't let them associate with the rest of the state.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2012, 02:13:20 AM »

Great!~! Thats four. Lets start the adventure.

It seems that everyone would be okay with playing the Empire side. Lets start on Monday and then discuss our best days while online. If everyone is okay, lets use voice on steam. My steam name is scoop20906.

If there are no objections I will create a character on the Rubat Crystal server.

I will be online at 8:00 pm tomorrow night. I will post my character name here so we can find each other.

Name: Scoop20906
Preferred Server: Rubat Crystal
Preferred Side/Class: Empire/Sith Inquistor
Preferred Days and Times: Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday starting at 8:00 or 9:00 pm
Steam UN: Scoop20906

Steam UN: ??

Name: drifter
Preferred Side/Class: Empire
Preferred Days and Times: Mondays
Time Zone: Texas

Name: Jaddison
Preferred Side/Class: Any
Preferred Days and Times: ???
Time Zone: ???
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:47:13 PM by Scoop20906 » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »

Perhaps it would also be wise to post advanced class, that way we will know if we have healers/tanks etc.  I am still not sure what class I will be playing as.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »

You guys might want to move (or "mirror") this discussion about playing together over to/in the:

SWTOR GT forum member characters thread. You might get more eyeballs there.  icon_smile The times would probably work for me except maybe Monday.

And because I need to see if my precious Washington Capitals wash out in the NHL playoffs again, that might interrupt me for a while.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:23:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 09, 2012, 03:21:32 PM

And because I need to see if my precious Washington Capitals wash out in the NHL playoffs again, that might interrupt me for a while.  icon_smile

Don't forget to make an entry for your prognostication skills.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »

Ok, I've moved the post to the Star Wars: The Old Republic (GT forum member characters) thread.

You can find the update here: http://gamingtrend.com/forums/massive-multiplayer-madness/star-wars-the-old-republic-(gt-forum-member-characters)/msg856395/#msg856395

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »

They have just now announced that Ranked Warzones will not be in the 1.2 update coming tonight, as promised. Instead, we will get... well, a preseason in phases - basically BioWare has no clue wtf they are doing.

They had some people coming back to the game for ranked warzones. They announced the removal of this key feature 7 hours before the patch.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2012, 03:38:16 AM »

Everyone else get 30 free days?

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »

I did.   Regarding the patch, the newly customizable UI is great but has anyone figured out how to move the chat window?

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 13, 2012, 03:38:16 AM

Nope. Only people with a L50 as of 12:00 PM yesterday, as I understand it. My top character is L48.

With that criteria in mind and stripping out the marketing BS about "thanking you for your support", it sounds like a stealth apology (and a please-don't-leave-in-a-huff plea) for stripping out the Ranked Warzones from 1.2, for which a lot of endgame players were presumably waiting.

In typical MMO fashion, of course, many people are now pissed off that they were "penalized" by not getting the free time that other people got.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »

1.2 update blah blah:
http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120412-1
*I can't "come back" because I never got around to canceling!  crybaby retard I'll log in at some point. Reading through the notes, I don't feel anything addresses my frustration with various quest bosses and Flashpoints, nor introduces some, I dunno, unpredictability to the general questing experience.

However, I think I'll enjoy finally being able to get the UI customized as I want, and perhaps that'll help me do a little better in situations I found frustrating.

Saw some interesting posts from a dev I'm not familiar with (APeckenpaugh):

[Commando] Nerfs for...more fun?
Quote from: APeckenpaugh
For clarity, the purpose of the change was to address the issue that Grav Round, on its own, was responsible for too much of your overall DPS. In other words, using totally made up numbers, if all you did was mindlessly spam Grav Round, you could still achieve something like 85% (again, totally made up) of your total damage dealing potential.

Not only was it bad, it wasn't fun (for the target or the caster). When things are bad, not fun, and yet they're still effective, they become high profile candidates for tweaking.

What we did was lower Grav Round's damage and increase Demo Round's damage. I don't know what the net result is off the top of my head, but we feel it's much, much closer to a "rebalance" than an outright "nerf."

And in case you're worried, if it turns out to be more of a nerf than a rebalance (which we don't want to be the case), then we'll fix it. But even then that'll probably be in ways that don't directly affect the damage dealt by Grav Round.  icon_smile

No free combat respec for combat medics?
Free respecs are only given when the structure of the skill tree changes, such that if you were to log in and NOT receive a free respec, your character would be broken.

For example, if you used to have 3/3 in a skill box, and we changed that skill so that it now required another skill that you didn't have, or we changed it so that it only had 2 points and you now had 3/2, you'd have a broken character. And that would be bad.

We don't give out free respecs based on an arbitrary judgement call as to how many changes were made; we give them out so your characters will continue to work. Hope that makes sense.
I remember all the mighty Nerfs in City of Heroes that were "for the good of the game" but drove many players right out of the game altogether. Hopefully that's not the case here. In my experience across many games and game genres, balancing by reducing effectiveness of something (however necessary it may be deemed) doesn't seem to ever generate good feelings in the veteran player base.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »

I had the chance to play a few of my characters last night after patching 1.2.  Some of the changes that stood out to me were:
- Merc Tracer Missile animation is really good now.  He shoots from the wrist with a laser sight, rather than bending over to fire the missile from his back.
- My Medicine spec'd Operative seems to play the same.  He can still solo with Kaliyo tanking with no problem, even against the tougest foes.
- I liked messing around with the Legacy family tree.  The relationships don't seem to have any gameplay impact yet, but it was cool connecting my alts together.  Some are allies, some siblings of each other, and there's a rival from the Republic.  They are definitely encouraging us to play on 1 server, since the legacy stuff now benefits all characters on the same server.
- I really liked the UI interface customization options.  I didn't have a lot of time, so I just went with their default Extended Quickbars template, and tweaked that a little.  I liked that I could save the UI and load it whenever I wanted.     
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 13, 2012, 02:47:09 PM

1.2 update blah blah:
http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120412-1
*I can't "come back" because I never got around to canceling!  crybaby retard I'll log in at some point. Reading through the notes, I don't feel anything addresses my frustration with various quest bosses and Flashpoints, nor introduces some, I dunno, unpredictability to the general questing experience.

However, I think I'll enjoy finally being able to get the UI customized as I want, and perhaps that'll help me do a little better in situations I found frustrating.

Saw some interesting posts from a dev I'm not familiar with (APeckenpaugh):

[Commando] Nerfs for...more fun?
Quote from: APeckenpaugh
For clarity, the purpose of the change was to address the issue that Grav Round, on its own, was responsible for too much of your overall DPS. In other words, using totally made up numbers, if all you did was mindlessly spam Grav Round, you could still achieve something like 85% (again, totally made up) of your total damage dealing potential.

Not only was it bad, it wasn't fun (for the target or the caster). When things are bad, not fun, and yet they're still effective, they become high profile candidates for tweaking.

What we did was lower Grav Round's damage and increase Demo Round's damage. I don't know what the net result is off the top of my head, but we feel it's much, much closer to a "rebalance" than an outright "nerf."

And in case you're worried, if it turns out to be more of a nerf than a rebalance (which we don't want to be the case), then we'll fix it. But even then that'll probably be in ways that don't directly affect the damage dealt by Grav Round.  icon_smile

No free combat respec for combat medics?
Free respecs are only given when the structure of the skill tree changes, such that if you were to log in and NOT receive a free respec, your character would be broken.

For example, if you used to have 3/3 in a skill box, and we changed that skill so that it now required another skill that you didn't have, or we changed it so that it only had 2 points and you now had 3/2, you'd have a broken character. And that would be bad.

We don't give out free respecs based on an arbitrary judgement call as to how many changes were made; we give them out so your characters will continue to work. Hope that makes sense.
I remember all the mighty Nerfs in City of Heroes that were "for the good of the game" but drove many players right out of the game altogether. Hopefully that's not the case here. In my experience across many games and game genres, balancing by reducing effectiveness of something (however necessary it may be deemed) doesn't seem to ever generate good feelings in the veteran player base.

Well so far things look good.  I havent noticed any major "nerfs" though as mentioned things for some characters were rebalanced.  In the case of the commando, overall dps wasnt nerfed they just changed it from a one button spam.  There were some minor changes on my smuggler healer but it didnt seem to affect his utility at all.  The graphics do seem improved and the UI is very easy to set up now.  as mentioned you can save a particular style on one toon and load it to every other toon you have.   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »

DPS Sorcerer got nerfed into the ground. Just destroyed. Worse, they've scaled Expertise now so that damage is higher than damage reduction which is much higher than healing boost. So survivability is down on top of our damage being down.

And they buffed Marauder/Sentinel, who already were doing more damage than Sorc/Sage.

We are now beta testing PvP for BioWare. That's why they've given us the free 30 days.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »

How do you know if you got 30 free days?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 13, 2012, 05:23:49 PM

You would have received an email.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 13, 2012, 05:34:15 PM

Quote from: JCC on April 13, 2012, 05:23:49 PM

You would have received an email.

BOO! I have a level 50 and I didn't get 30 free days! (pouting)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2012, 06:03:48 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on April 13, 2012, 12:42:58 PM

Quote from: Teggy on April 13, 2012, 03:38:16 AM

Nope. Only people with a L50 as of 12:00 PM yesterday, as I understand it. My top character is L48.

With that criteria in mind and stripping out the marketing BS about "thanking you for your support", it sounds like a stealth apology (and a please-don't-leave-in-a-huff plea) for stripping out the Ranked Warzones from 1.2, for which a lot of endgame players were presumably waiting.

- Ash

That's my theory too.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 14, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »

They've announced anyone with Legacy level 6 will get 30 free days too. So you dont need a 50 anymore.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: