http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 09:27:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (dev posts, news items, fan sites etc.)  (Read 15034 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2012, 05:25:19 AM »

Ah yes, the whole "everyone should be equal" argument. What a crock. Why don't we give everyone max level and the same equipment so then all the whiners who cry about imbalance will be satisfied?

There has to be something to work for in a game like this. There is no reason to PvP in this game except for equipment. Take out the equipment and... poof... there is no reason to PvP in this game. No reason to PvP in this game = me and my entire guild gone.

They're already on the point of failing and having a flood of PvP'ers leave the game for lack of content. Losing all the PvP'ers at this point could be disastrous for the longevity of this game.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2012, 07:07:31 AM »

So equipment is the only reason to PvP? So what if you and your entire guild PvP until you all have the best equipments in game, then no reason for PvP in this game = you and your entire guild gone.

Using equipment to entice people to PvP is disastrous to the longetivity of the game. Eventually people have all the best equipments so the game designers have to come up with another tier of "best equipment" and turn the previous tier into mediocre equipments. Eventually people will tired of working to get equipments then have those equipments become worthless because the game need better equipment to get people to PvP.

Instead of doing that, they should make it so people PvP because it is fun or challenging. Or give storyline reason to PvP. Don't copy WoW endgame PvP design.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:11:48 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »

I do have the best equipment in the game. I have full Battlemaster gear. Gives me about a 12% advantage in PvP, though someone in raid gear will have more health and more of their primary stat than I have.

And they feel the need to nerf that 12%? Uggh.

Yes, I agree there need to be more incentives to PvP. The ranked matches will be very nice, but as I said months ago, they should have had enough people on their team to concentrate somewhat on PvP in the beta. Instead, they punted on PvP and it is now hurting them with an awful design in Ilum and little to no end game.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »

Remember when Blackjack used to post in here?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 07, 2012, 02:41:39 PM

Remember when Blackjack used to post in here?

In fairness, there just isn't that much information coming out anymore.  I'm not really expecting much until they start ramping up the publicity for 1.1's March release.

The SWTOR Dev Tracker doesn't even have posts in it some days.

Probably the most interesting thing I've seen in the past week is Bioware has promised us weekly Q&A sessions.  But at this point they haven't actually done it, just announced that it's coming and asked us to post questions on the forum.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »

There are a lot of things that Bioware could do to make this game more appealing for the long-term players.    Some ideas:

1.   Very good rewards for the PVP crowd
2.   Very good (but different) rewards for the PVE raid crowd
3.   Very good (but again different) rewards for the non-raiding player, that are rare and difficult to get but possible with persistance
4.   Vanity pets to collect -- rare, super rare, etc.
5.   Rare items that have mysterious unlock methods.... sort of like the fabled Jedi unlock from Galaxies, or what people thought was going on with the White light sabre crystals.

As it is.... the end of the game seems to flatline and fall flat.    WoW was so successful for so long because there was SO much to do.... from pets to rare items, to raiding to PVPing.    There was just a TON to do that they continued to add.   I remember spending hours camping a rare dragon whelp hatchling.    I remember spending TONS of time searching for a rare hunter pet and waiting for him to spawn.    I remember continuing to try for a super rare mount.

These are the things that SWTOR is going to have to implement if it wants to survive.    You can't start off in easy mode and equality.    Equality and easy mode is the graveyard that MMOS go to in order to die.    WoW is walking through the gate of that cemetary now.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 07, 2012, 06:41:07 PM

I remember spending hours camping a rare dragon whelp hatchling.    I remember spending TONS of time searching for a rare hunter pet and waiting for him to spawn.    I remember continuing to try for a super rare mount.

As a non MMO player with this being my first foray into the genre, I gotta say that sounds incredibly boring.

With eight different stories to choose from (granted, with a ton of overlap) when I hit level 50 I don't need more gear or to camp for some ridiculous foozle.  I simply move on to the next character and see what their story is about.

By the time I've hit 50 or near to it with all the different characters either Bioware will have provided additional content or I will move on to what ever game I haven't played yet (Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Etc).  Bioware will have got my money for several months and I will have had a chance to play a variety of interesting stories set in the Star Wars universe.  I think we are both happy with that arrangement.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »

No, Bioware most certainly will not be happy with players sticking around for a couple months and leaving. To survive, an MMO has to build a solid base of players that stick around for YEARS.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on February 07, 2012, 07:47:28 PM

I remember spending hours camping a rare dragon whelp hatchling.    I remember spending TONS of time searching for a rare hunter pet and waiting for him to spawn.    I remember continuing to try for a super rare mount.

As a non MMO player with this being my first foray into the genre, I gotta say that sounds incredibly boring.

With eight different stories to choose from (granted, with a ton of overlap) when I hit level 50 I don't need more gear or to camp for some ridiculous foozle.  I simply move on to the next character and see what their story is about.

By the time I've hit 50 or near to it with all the different characters either Bioware will have provided additional content or I will move on to what ever game I haven't played yet (Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Etc).  Bioware will have got my money for several months and I will have had a chance to play a variety of interesting stories set in the Star Wars universe.  I think we are both happy with that arrangement.

Pardon me, but that is a ridiculous statement.   The object of producing a $200 million MMO is to have people stick around for as long as possible.    While camping for an awesome vanity pet or mount might not appeal to you, it will appeal to a lot of people.     The object is to put enough content like this in the game to keep all sorts of people around.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:56 PM »

But there will (hopefully for Bioware) be those players that do stick around.  It's just likely that I won't be one of them.

I'm not sure how much money was poured into the making of this game.  I know it's many millions.   I'm also not sure how long they will need to keep a certain number of subscribers to make it all back but I'm betting that they will as there will always be those folks wanting to stick around to hunt the foozle or whatever they have planned for the level 50 crowd to do.  

If even a fraction of the huge number of subscribers they have now keeps going for a year or more I'm betting they will have made their money.

I'd definitely be interested to see if somebody has the charts on how many subscribers they need to keep to make back their investment.

----

But like I said, I'm not in this for the MMO long haul.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

Actually I just looked it up and it cost right at $100 million to develop.   

They have 1.5 million subcribers.   

But the point of an MMO is not to just make your money back.   It's to make as much money as possible.   There are also costs of maintaining support staff, marketing, server support and hardware replacement, etc.    Lots of other costs.     

My overall point is that just because you play the game casually doesn't a successful MMO make.   If your MMO is made up of mostly casual players with no hardcore-willing-to-camp-the-lootz crowd, it's going to suffer a premature death.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 07, 2012, 08:39:18 PM

Actually I just looked it up and it cost right at $100 million to develop.   

They have 1.5 million subcribers.   

But the point of an MMO is not to just make your money back.   It's to make as much money as possible.   There are also costs of maintaining support staff, marketing, server support and hardware replacement, etc.    Lots of other costs.     

My overall point is that just because you play the game casually doesn't a successful MMO make.   If your MMO is made up of mostly casual players with no hardcore-willing-to-camp-the-lootz crowd, it's going to suffer a premature death.

Right, and my point is that just because I play it casually doesn't mean it will fail.  I'm sure they have taken into account the many players like me who will likely opt for a three month sub and then drop. 

While it may seem that they have no end game plan in effect I highly doubt they are just sitting on their thumbs.  I'm sure they are planning tons of new content aimed at both the story driven players like myself (and who knows, maybe they'll come up with something to keep me playing and paying) as well as the types that like to do the pet/mount/foozle hunts.

It may be that they fail utterly in that plan but, as far as I'm concerned, I will have gotten my money's worth and I'm sorry that you will not have but I'm betting they haven't planned to fail by failing to plan.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »

I'll be damned if I could find it now, but I swear I recall reading some stats about WoW, and the real cash cow is the casual players, not the hardcore.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »

3.   Very good (but again different) rewards for the non-raiding player, that are rare and difficult to get but possible with persistance

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much too shoot for past upgrading Orange items.  I've already got all the top level Armoring elements from the dailies and can make my own top Enhancements.  I suppose the next step would be to upgrade all my companions stuff.  But until they get more dailies, level 50 for a non-Raider/non-PVPer has gotten pretty dull.  In fairness, I found LotRO end game pretty dull, and after calculating I'd need to run dailies for an entire month to get the next level of equipment on Rift, I unsubscribed on that game.

So instead of running dailies, I rerolled as an Imperial Agent (my primary is a level 50 Jedi Guardian), and I'm having a good time with him.  Also I'm the type of RPGer who would be happy to replay a class and choose lightside or rejigger my combat tree with a different emphasis.  So if they provide us with more character slots (I'm fine paying a premium for that), I'm probably set.  I suppose I could switch servers for more slots, but I really like my guild.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2012, 06:55:50 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 07, 2012, 10:08:40 PM

I'll be damned if I could find it now, but I swear I recall reading some stats about WoW, and the real cash cow is the casual players, not the hardcore.

Not surprising since there are more casual players than hardcore players. Not everyone can join raid weekly.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2012, 09:47:56 PM »

I stumbled onto this interesting Jan. 20 feature at LA Times' Hero Complex blog:

Star Wars: The Old Republic — the story behind a galactic gamble
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/20/star-wars-the-old-republic-the-story-behind-a-galactic-gamble/#/0
Art has been outsourced to Russia, Estonia and China. Motion capture filming is done in L.A. and Vancouver, Canada, with voices recorded in New York, London and Paris in English, French and German. Quality assurance testing takes place in Romania, Argentina and India, while technical operations are run out of Virginia and the customer service center operates in Ireland. A regular plane shuttles employees between Austin and Electronic Arts’ headquarters in Redwood Shores, Calif.
The idea for the game has its origins at a 2005 meeting between [development studio director Rich] Vogel and BioWare’s Zeschuk and Muzyka, two Canadian physicians-turned-game developers. After attempts to adapt “Lord of the Rings,” “A Game of Thrones” and Marvel comic book super-heroes like such as Spider-Man, the team signed a co-publishing deal with “Star Wars” creator George Lucas.
I did have a feeling some of the data centers for swtor are probably here in Virginia in one of the big old concrete block industrial parks near Dulles Airport, although the Virginia reference might just be referring to Mythic being based here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:50:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »

Darth Hater's take on Companions...

Companions: The Good, The Bad and The Broken
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/editorial/19928-companions-the-good-the-bad-and-the-broken

I can't speak to what the tanking-stance buff for Companions used to be as I don't think that was in place when I did my weekend tests.

I agree with most of it, though like the first commenter there, my take is they've created a system where most players have one maybe two companions they use 99% of the time and the others are essentially either useless or interchangeable. I don't know if I have a solution for that. If you made some situations call more specfically to a certain companion, players would probably blanche at losing the hypothetical freedom they have to choose.

My glass-jawed Gunslinger is so dependent on the wookie tank in most tougher boss situations, and even equipped as well as I can get him (the wookie companion), he often can't stay upright long enough to get me over the hump. And I hate the dialogue situations where you think it's a "normal" dialogue but it turns out to be a transition to a battle, and you've got the wrong companion called up. Oops.  disgust

And in the upper 40s I just found it too difficult to find anyone to help out. I guess in essence the whole companion system and companion-dependency issues are among the reasons (along with my seemingly annual Winter Gaming Depression) I've stopped playing. I feel like the game paints me into a corner of using the Tank companion (including virtually all quest bosses) or Healer companion (except bosses) because using the other companion types tends to ensure we both take a beating unless strictly against "trash mobs" -- speaking strictly from a Gunslinger's standpoint.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:23:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »

I don't know, I kind of thought that there were just good player/companion combinations, and they gave you so many companions so there would be one that's right for you - tank or healer if you are dps, dps or healer if you are playing tank. tank or dps if you are playing healer. I guess you might want to travel with a specific companion who's not a good fit with your role, but that's what alts are for.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 07, 2012, 05:25:19 AM

Ah yes, the whole "everyone should be equal" argument. What a crock. Why don't we give everyone max level and the same equipment so then all the whiners who cry about imbalance will be satisfied?

There has to be something to work for in a game like this. There is no reason to PvP in this game except for equipment. Take out the equipment and... poof... there is no reason to PvP in this game. No reason to PvP in this game = me and my entire guild gone.

They're already on the point of failing and having a flood of PvP'ers leave the game for lack of content. Losing all the PvP'ers at this point could be disastrous for the longevity of this game.

Ah yes the whole this game should be designed for exactly how I want to play it argument.  I highly doubt if the pvpers leave it will mean the demise of this game.  I hate to tell you but this game was never designed for you and your PVP guild.  This is a MMORPG with a huge emphasis on the Story and universe and was designed to attract casual and new players to the genre (just like WOW).   PVP focused MMORPGs games do not get made with 100 million budgets, it's a niche market.  Moving PVP towards being less gear dependent and more focus on skill sounds great to me.  I will never be a hardcore PVPer but do enjoy digging into it on occasion and not for any uber gear I might get because PVPing is fun if done right and that is enough for me. 

morlac00 on PSN
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2012, 01:47:07 AM »

someone at some point will get a MMO right, and they will make BILLIONS.  So far, these clowns arent even close.  The genre is 20 years old, and its going backwards. Lets hope GW2, or TSW  move things forward a bit.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »

Community Q&A on various things:
http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-feb-10th-2012
A few highlights or "vague lights"  smirk
Daniel Erickson: Game Update 1.2 will bring you the first big step in the Legacy System but it’s important to understand that the Legacy System will continue to grow, bringing new options to new characters (alts) and some fun options for elder game players as well. Legacy is definitely not just for new characters! The species that will be unlocked in Game Update 1.2 are species currently in the game that will become available to classes and factions where you haven’t seen them before. New species are in consideration for the future but we don’t have any details to share right now. Look for more specific details in the near future as we head toward Game Update 1.2.
Daniel Erickson: We’ve been pleasantly surprised at how popular PvP is in The Old Republic and we’ve been doubling down on our efforts to bring exciting new content and systems to the PvP community. Right now there’s a new Warzone planned for Game Update 1.2 which we’re already testing internally and really enjoying. We can say it’s enabled for same faction vs. same faction play, so if you’ve been playing a lot of Huttball, expect some variety soon! Also coming in 1.2 is the pre-season of our Warzone ranking system, bringing better matchmaking which means better PvP. In the future expect a ton more PvP news as we expand and polish what has proven to be one of the most popular aspects of The Old Republic. We’ve got big plans.
Daniel Erickson: Guild banks are coming in Game Update 1.2 and like PvP, guild features are a priority for the development team with a strike team focused on nothing but top guild concerns and requests. Guild capital ships are a huge undertaking, though, so expect to see more quality of life style guild features roll out before you and your allies start building your destroyer....

Darth Hater has some more context, including pix of the new cooldown visual options:
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19932-community-q-a-and-new-changes-to-cooldown-ui

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »

Bioware's added a weekly Dev Tracker Summary. You don't need me anymore!  icon_razz

Dev Tracker Summary: February 6th, 2012 – February 12th, 2012
http://www.swtor.com/blog/dev-tracker-summary-february-6th-2012-%E2%80%93-february-12th-2012

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »

I'm a bit worried that if this game turns out to be a disaster for Bioware that we might not see more of the great single player games that Bioware puts out.  I know they spent a ton to build it but do we have any numbers/statements on how much profit or loss they are at?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on February 11, 2012, 01:47:07 AM

someone at some point will get a MMO right, and they will make BILLIONS.  So far, these clowns arent even close.  The genre is 20 years old, and its going backwards. Lets hope GW2, or TSW  move things forward a bit.

I honestly think that the technology used needs to change before we will see someone make the changes needed to "get it right"   By that I mean some form of actual virtual reality.  You can only do so much with the tech we have and what people really want is more immersion in to the game world.  I do believe that we are very close technologically but doubt that we are anywhere near to making it commercially  viable.  Until then, I figure we will get WoW clones with limited changes.
 That being said, Ive enjoyed SWTOR a lot and have no regrets with the purchase.  I am gettling great bang for the buck out of the game. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 14, 2012, 06:32:11 PM

... That being said, Ive enjoyed SWTOR a lot and have no regrets with the purchase.  I am gettling great bang for the buck out of the game. 

Me too.  I finished the Jedi Knight story and have restarted as an Imperial Agent.  Currently in the low 20s and enjoying seeing things from the other side.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »

I honestly think that the technology used needs to change before we will see someone make the changes needed to "get it right"
I honestly dont think it has much to do with tech at all at this point. It has everything thing to do with design. The entire focus on these games are wrong.  This whole character/level/power as the main focus simply isnt right.  In real life we care, fight, and live for our relationships, community, homes, and country etc.  I see NONE of that in any MMO designs.  Its all about following some 40 year old D&D design.  Its ridiculous.

Allow players a vivid dynamic world to inhabit,  a place to socialize, build relationships, dynamic homes and dwellings and create the atomsphere and drama of on going wars, invasions, conflicts etc.  Then you have people emotionally attached to the game and world.    This whole static world where you go around like a ten year old, saying Im a cool guy level 50 paladin with some purps... aint I cool...  I mean really.... its pathetic really.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »

Perhaps PVP kills should generate random drops based on challenge level (much like in FFXI where mobs on par were worth 100xp 1:1, but 1:1.2 for harder, and 1:0.8 for less). This would encourage PVP action without encouraging bad behaviour (lvl 50 guys PVP'ing the noob zones).

I think having physical communities would also be a good idea - one where you have a house, neighbors and belongings.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 14, 2012, 08:22:13 PM

Perhaps PVP kills should generate random drops based on challenge level (much like in FFXI where mobs on par were worth 100xp 1:1, but 1:1.2 for harder, and 1:0.8 for less). This would encourage PVP action without encouraging bad behaviour (lvl 50 guys PVP'ing the noob zones).

I think having physical communities would also be a good idea - one where you have a house, neighbors and belongings.

People camp noob zones because they're a-holes, not because they get value out of it.

The real challenge is 1) making the majority of content require a group to complete while 2) making it very easy to group (that is, don't make grouping unattractive because others are ahead in content or level). Supposedly GW2 will be like this, we'll see.

Certainly MMOs with soloing in mind have a place (and I enjoy SWTOR quite a bit), but it seems like if you're going to make an MMO, continous co-op and pvp content is sort of the big idea missing in the latest wave.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:27:54 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on February 14, 2012, 08:05:27 PM

Allow players a vivid dynamic world to inhabit,  a place to socialize, build relationships, dynamic homes and dwellings and create the atomsphere and drama of on going wars, invasions, conflicts etc.  Then you have people emotionally attached to the game and world.    This whole static world where you go around like a ten year old, saying Im a cool guy level 50 paladin with some purps... aint I cool...  I mean really.... its pathetic really.

LOL This perfectly describes a 10 year old game: Shadowbane.  Everything you mentioned happened in SB.
I'd love it if someone would make another new game like that but with high production value (i.e. not Darkfall Online).
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2012, 12:09:25 AM »

Quote from: skystride on February 14, 2012, 10:18:48 PM

Quote from: tcweidner on February 14, 2012, 08:05:27 PM

Allow players a vivid dynamic world to inhabit,  a place to socialize, build relationships, dynamic homes and dwellings and create the atomsphere and drama of on going wars, invasions, conflicts etc.  Then you have people emotionally attached to the game and world.    This whole static world where you go around like a ten year old, saying Im a cool guy level 50 paladin with some purps... aint I cool...  I mean really.... its pathetic really.

LOL This perfectly describes a 10 year old game: Shadowbane.  Everything you mentioned happened in SB.
I'd love it if someone would make another new game like that but with high production value (i.e. not Darkfall Online).

This is getting a bit OT, but since we're here.... unfortunately it seems like SB's failure scared the big names away from making a sandbox world game.  The other issue I see is somehow sandbox games seem tied to hardcore PvP and hardcore gamers, which really doesn't have to be the case.  As above, it's about the design, not the technology, which at this point is pretty much all in place.  Major developers are simply too afraid to take the risk. 

For the game itself, I think you essentially take all the best parts of Shadowbane as the base game, put it into a modern looking graphics engine, and then blend in the dynamic AI/NPC content from Rift/GW2 to ensure endless amounts of ever-changing PvE.  Create AI factions/races that have their own agenda, so that human players have to face those as well as each other while fighting for power/resources or whatever.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »

continuing the off topic thought, SB was killed more by technical problems imo.  If they remade the exact same game and made it actually work and look nice I think it would be fine.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2012, 01:22:22 AM »

I had a ton of sb.exe crashes, plus some major lag and rubberbanding.  Kind of ruined the experience for me...despite all of the fun.  SB was the first game where I encountered rampant use of macroing for leveling groups.  I'd never heard of that until I kept sneaking up on groups that didn't seem to be playing the game (because they weren't).  It seemed to be accepted by the developers, which made me think, why bother with the pve leveling at all?  Just drop everyone into the game with the same tools, without any kind of leveling.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »

I mostly like the new Penny Arcade Report's focus on in-depth features and interviews (and highlighting other sites' similar work in The Cut), and now the Bioware heads vomit up some (not terribly insightful) thoughts about the SWTOR launch:

The doctors from Bioware discuss the Old Republic Launch, ending a trilogy, and a Mass Effect MMO
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-doctors-from-bioware-discuss-the-old-republic-launch-ending-a-trilogy-a
*No, they don't address all the complaints about SWTOR, or people that have already quit the game. Me thinks they're still counting the sales numbers and reveling in all that launch success. As to specific complaints, it's probably not really fair to ask The Doctors as they're not SWTOR's designers or programmers. I didn't paste any quotes because it's all rah-rah and it's kind of late to still be rah-rahing about the launch, imho.

On Mass Effect MMO possibilities...
I asked about the popular fan rumor of a Mass Effect MMO. “Now that we’ve learned MMOs are really easy to make, and simple to run after the fact, we’re on it!” Dr. Zeschuk said, laughing. “The interesting thing, the implication of a Mass Effect MMO has so many expectations. We already bit off a big thing to chew with a Star Wars MMO, and that’s not so small,” he said.

It became clear they had given the idea at least some thought. “It’s daunting, but the neat thing is it would lend itself to a different type of game play. It’s fun to think about. I imagine people think it would be just like Mass Effect as it is… but there’s lots of people there. It’s really interesting, I don’t know. It’s a tough one.”

“The possibility space, that’s a term that I heard Will Wright say about ten years ago, and it really struck me,” Muzyka continued, pointing out that most Bioware properties could work as MMOs. “When you deliver a game, and you deliver it for a player, you have to capture what they think is the possibility space. You need to let them do everything they think they should do, and you can’t block them from doing anything they think they should be able to do. You have to nail all the features and content that should be in that possibility space.“ He paused for a moment.

“Mass Effect is a big possibility space.”

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »

Schedule for today's Guild Summit livestreaming and recorded videos to be provided.

10:00AM CST (4PM GMT) – Welcome and Introductions
    10:30AM CST (4:30PM GMT) – State of the Game and Game Update 1.2 Presentation
    Break (Livestream offline from 11:00am to 2:00pm)
    2:00PM CST (8:00PM GMT) – Operations and Flashpoints Discussion
    2:45PM CST (8:45PM GMT) – Player vs. Player Discussion
    3:30PM CST (9:30PM GMT) – Legacy Presentation
    4:00PM CST (10:00PM GMT) – Economy and Crew Skills Discussion
    4:30PM CST (10:30PM GMT) – Roleplayer's Discussion
    5:00PM CST (11:00PM GMT) – Guild Features Discussion
    5:30PM CST (11:30PM GMT) – User Interface Presentation
    6:00PM CST (12:00AM GMT) - ...And The Rest
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

Update 1.2 Video:
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/coming-game-update-1.2

*If you're happy about it, you'll be happy about:
-UI Customization (finally)
-Guild banks (finally)
-Improved character textures (finally)
-New Operation (raid): Explosive Conflict
-New Flashpoint: The Lost Island
-New vehicles
-Craftable augments
-New Crafing schematics
-Extractable tier 2 mods
-New light saber colors
-Ship droids gain affection
-Legacy item drops
-Legacy Family Tree (I'm not real clear what this does, but there is a tree in the video)
-New roleplay emotes
-PVP Warzone rankings

With the first three things, your first response (like mine) will be "WHY DID IT TAKE SO FREAKING LONG TO IMPLEMENT?"  icon_smile Or maybe "Why wasn't this all in the game like a year before launch?" I don't know...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:31:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »

I just want Target Forwarding frown   Playing a healer I'd love to be able to target the mob and heal the player through it, or vice versa.  I do believe that they will at least be having a Target of Target UI element coming in 1.2 - and I did try using Focus Target, but that doesn't work very well - sometimes it doesn't even display my focused target  icon_confused

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »

1.2 Patch Notes on PTR

It's as I feared. BioWare is practicing population control by nerfing the popular classes and buffing ones they want to encourage.

Right now in high level PvP, the Marauder is the top damager by far. No one can touch him in pure damage output. I was OK with this as a dps Sorcerer because I had utility to make up for it. But now they've nerfed Sorcerer such that I will likely do 50% less damage than before. Oh yeah, and they buffed Marauder.

They are going to kill their own game.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 17, 2012, 06:10:10 PM

1.2 Patch Notes on PTR

It's as I feared. BioWare is practicing population control by nerfing the popular classes and buffing ones they want to encourage.

Right now in high level PvP, the Marauder is the top damager by far. No one can touch him in pure damage output. I was OK with this as a dps Sorcerer because I had utility to make up for it. But now they've nerfed Sorcerer such that I will likely do 50% less damage than before. Oh yeah, and they buffed Marauder.

They are going to kill their own game.
I hear they want to change all the campaign endings so they're just like Mass Effect 3's ending! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  icon_biggrin

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

So an interesting player-written feedback post about the (I think new?) Nightmare Pilgraim 16-player world boss on Planet Voss:

Nightmare Pilgrim Feedback/Q & A
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=368844
This part however, I don't really get:
What is not good about this encounter

The most obvious issue that this boss has is, we were able to defeat him from first attempt to downing with 4 non-guild members (not that this is bad) in just 3 hours. To curb the "elitist" claims that some may shout, encounters are meant to be difficult, especially new ones that have never been seen before. I crave encounters that take multiple nights, days, and even weeks to complete by well trained and well organized operation guilds. This boss did not fulfill that need.
Here I'm complaining quest bosses are too hard and mid to upper Flashpoints too exasperating and I had it wrong all along. The game is Too Easy. Clearly everything needs to be harder and take even more time to complete.  Roll Eyes

I don't think that's an "elitist" claim. I just don't have 3 hours to even play most weekday evenings.

To be fair, I was never interested in stuff like that and I certainly can't expect the whole pve game to cater to me. I just worry that feedback from a few hardcores will make them overlook data metrics in favor of lets make everything even more of a pain in the butt to complete. That'll bring the departing players back!

That I've gone from swtor raving enthusiast to cynical skeptic in the span of maybe two months is pretty sad.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:43:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »

I wouldn't worry about that, BJ - MMO's are by their nature meant to cater to the lowest common denominator, and in this case, the easiest way to play.

And yeah - They could have done so damn much with the starwars IP but they choose the safe WoW route unfortunately.

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: