http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 06:16:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (dev posts, news items, fan sites etc.)  (Read 17676 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »

I don't get the orbital station thing either.  There isn't any story value to having to run through a station to catch a shuttle to fly to the surface of the planet.  It's not like our starships are massive capital ships that couldn't land on the surface.

Speaking of improving the ship travel experience, I hope they also look at giving us the option to not take off when boarding our ships.  Only take off when we select a destination on the galaxy map.   
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 18, 2012, 03:59:22 PM

I don't get the orbital station thing either.  There isn't any story value to having to run through a station to catch a shuttle to fly to the surface of the planet.  It's not like our starships are massive capital ships that couldn't land on the surface.

Speaking of improving the ship travel experience, I hope they also look at giving us the option to not take off when boarding our ships.  Only take off when we select a destination on the galaxy map.   

+1

There is no reason to do this.  It's not like this game needs an artificial way to extend our playtime. As is, the number of quests that are available are way more than enough.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
RLMullen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 18, 2012, 04:34:27 PM

+1

There is no reason to do this.  It's not like this game needs an artificial way to extend our playtime. As is, the number of quests that are available are way more than enough.

There is actually a technical reason for you to "take off" when entering your ship.  Your ship interior is actually a completely phased zone, and that is the reason for the load screen when you enter.

When you are on your ship, look at the top left corner of the UI.  That box shows your current zone and the number of players in the zone.  When you are on your ship, that box shows your ship name and some number greater than 1 (of course it could show a one if you are on a low pop server and playing at 4 AM).  There are other people in the same ship zone with you, but they are phased out just like the group/class mission areas.  Also, if you look at your guildlist, you will notice that guildmembers who are on thier ship show their shipname in the zone field.

That said, they do need to improve the "zoning" process on both the client-end and the server-end.  Some of the planet load times are simply horrendous, and those delays are certainly on the client-side.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »

Quote from: RLMullen on January 18, 2012, 05:54:21 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 18, 2012, 04:34:27 PM

+1

There is actually a technical reason for you to "take off" when entering your ship.  Your ship interior is actually a completely phased zone, and that is the reason for the load screen when you enter.

When you are on your ship, look at the top left corner of the UI.  That box shows your current zone and the number of players in the zone.  When you are on your ship, that box shows your ship name and some number greater than 1 (of course it could show a one if you are on a low pop server and playing at 4 AM).  There are other people in the same ship zone with you, but they are phased out just like the group/class mission areas.  Also, if you look at your guildlist, you will notice that guildmembers who are on thier ship show their shipname in the zone field.

That said, they do need to improve the "zoning" process on both the client-end and the server-end.  Some of the planet load times are simply horrendous, and those delays are certainly on the client-side.

I think you're misunderstanding the complaints.  I don't know that anyone was complaining about having to load when going to your ship.  It's the multiple zones of nothing but hallways and such that you have to load and walk through to get to the door that loads you to your ship.
RLMullen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 18, 2012, 06:14:05 PM

I think you're misunderstanding the complaints.  I don't know that anyone was complaining about having to load when going to your ship.  It's the multiple zones of nothing but hallways and such that you have to load and walk through to get to the door that loads you to your ship.

I was responding to:
Quote from: Roguetad

I assumed that USMC Kato was responding to the same thing with his +1.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »

Not being a PVPer, I've been out of the loop on the Ilum major exploit problem, which was being emergency fixed this morning:

Ilum Issues Update, Emergency Patch Tomorrow
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19886-ilum-issues-update-emergency-patch-tomorrow
*Pretty lengthy, so I put Bioware's Gabe's post in spoilers:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hello everyone; I wanted to update you on the issues we’ve been seeing today on the live servers, specifically within the Open World PvP area on Ilum. We’re aware that on some servers, either Republic or Empire groups have been capturing the Ilum control points, entering the enemy’s base and ‘camping’ the medcenters, preventing the opposite faction from leaving their base to recapture control points. This is not a fair or balanced gameplay experience and can also severely affect client performance, so we’re taking steps to address this.

Our intended design for Ilum Open World PvP is that players are instantly killed when entering the enemy’s base safe area, just like in Warzones, and that the defending faction can take taxis to other points within the zone. As of Game Update 1.1, this is not working as intended. We have found the issue preventing this from happening under server load and will be publishing an Emergency Patch to address the issue. We’re aiming to have this patch published early tomorrow morning (January 19th, 5 AM US CST).

In addition to these changes, we’ll be reducing the population cap on Ilum. This should help increase performance by requiring your client to render fewer characters on-screen at once.

Regarding Valor gains, with the 1.1 update, players now receive a base reward of 20 Valor per unique enemy player defeated in a short time, and this base reward is modified by the number of objectives that the player’s faction owns. The gains are rate limited per player killed, encouraging players to attack unique players, not to pursue vendettas. The Valor gains players can see over time will vary greatly depending on the activity level in the zone. This is expected.

To dispel a couple of rumors that have been seen today – there is no Valor gain from destroying turrets within enemy bases, and none from killing NPCs.

We encourage players to avoid Ilum until our patch is deployed. As a temporary measure we will be disabling taxi services which would normally take players into the Open World PvP area. However, players will still be able to taxi out of the area.

We will continue to monitor Ilum across all servers and will make further changes to gameplay if required. We welcome your feedback here on the Forums, but please ensure your feedback is constructive and specific. Feedback based on rumor does not help us isolate potential issues.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

Man, I guess a lot of people really rushed to 50. I've now got a 38 Trooper, 18ish JK, 11 Consular, 6ish Smuggler, 18ish Imperial Agent and 18ish Bounty Hunter. I've played the game a lot more than I planned and I don't know when I'll manage to hit 50 with one of these guys.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

In the "better late than never, now people can find other things to kvetch about" category...  icon_smile

Coming Up in STAR WARS: The Old Republic
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/coming-star-wars-old-republic
*Includes peeks at guild storage (including a lot of customizing of limits and what people are allowed to remove, and how often etc.); and scaling UI and movable/repositionable UI elements, including the mini-map (yay!)

*The guild storage, and UI stuff starts at about the 1 min. 17 sec point of the video. Scaling the UI seems to be done with a simple slider under Preferences.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:24:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2012, 04:17:05 PM

Man, I guess a lot of people really rushed to 50. I've now got a 38 Trooper, 18ish JK, 11 Consular, 6ish Smuggler, 18ish Imperial Agent and 18ish Bounty Hunter. I've played the game a lot more than I planned and I don't know when I'll manage to hit 50 with one of these guys.

Knowing about the legacy system, I've avoided making a bunch of alts.  Also it's extremely easy to level up in this game, no 'rushing' involved.  It's the fastest MMO I have probably played.  You can literally go from 13 to 50 without leaving your spaceship doing space missions if you wanted.  Or you could just run pvp missions non-stop.  There are easily 5 times the missions needed if you do everything on every planet.

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »

Repost from ForceTremor (Some of it already mentioned here by Blackjack)
http://forcetremor.com/showthread.php?tid=55
Click the images below to zoom.

--------

Here is a breakdown of information from the video.

Flashpoint - Rise of the Rakghouls
The final part of this flashpoint will be coming. This flashpoint story has been in development for a year.

PvP and Warzones
A new Warzone will be released.
New Features - PvP rankings to compare yourself to other players

Legacy System
Each character joins a family tree.
All characters in the family tree gain benefits, such as new abilities.
Mirulaka Sith

Guild Banks
There are at least 5 tabs for guild banks.
Each tab has 90 slots.
Item withdrawal is on a weekly basis.
Repairs costs can be covered from the Guild Bank.
Re-spec costs can be covered from the Guild Bank.
Ability to change names and icons.
Possibility for a 6th+ tab. The 6th tab possibly costing 5 million credits.
Maximum credits in bank are 999,999,999,999,999.
Log of what is removed / added to guild banks.

User Interface
Overall scaling of the interface.
Moving individual elements around.
Scaling of Companion Bar separately.
Adjusting the transparency of the interface.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:16:10 AM by Chordian » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »

>>The 6th tab possibly costing 5 million credits.
 icon_lol The Grue is always speaking confidently about how much dough he's racking up crafting. I'll leave it up to him to cover our guild costs on that.  smirk

While this is all well and good, it's hard to resist the temptation to overdub Ohlen's voice to say instead "Unlike other MMOs, we're keeping the development team intact to add all the things that should have been in the game at launch, if not 6 months ago."  icon_razz Still better late than never.

*I just hope they let us move around the "sidebar" hotkey trays too. In Rift, LOTRO, AoC and some others I'd drag one vertical one near the middle of the screen, sometimes a horizontal one high-center of the screen. I just liked having the keys in my line of sight (esp. an issue on today's big widescreen monitors). I can appreciate them wanting a "clean" UI, but some of us would rather have a more "usable" UI, however messy it might look to someone else. I always argue in favor of letting players decide that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:32:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 20, 2012, 01:28:37 PM

*I just hope they let us move around the "sidebar" hotkey trays too. In Rift, LOTRO, AoC and some others I'd drag one vertical one near the middle of the screen, sometimes a horizontal one high-center of the screen. I just liked having the keys in my line of sight (esp. an issue on today's big widescreen monitors). I can appreciate them wanting a "clean" UI, but some of us would rather have a more "usable" UI, however messy it might look to someone else. I always argue in favor of letting players decide that.

Totally agreed. What did I use in WoW? I had a 4x3 box with uncommonly used powers/items show up just to the left of my character model whenever I had somebody targeted, or was in Druid Cat/Bear form, or whatever I wanted, that I could quickly click at if I needed to use them. And then they'd vanish whenever the conditions (that I set) weren't in play anymore.

It was a fantastic way to set things up for me. Yes, it required a mod to do, but damn it, it's something that everyone needs to steal. Or cut down the amount of powers/items needed on a whim from 20+ to something far more manageable.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »

icon_lol The Grue is always speaking confidently about how much dough he's racking up crafting. I'll leave it up to him to cover our guild costs on that.  smirk

LOL!  I never said that!  I said I had some money...certainly not from crafting and about to go down to almost nothing when I hit 50 today.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 20, 2012, 03:10:31 PM

LOL!  I never said that!  I said I had some money...certainly not from crafting and about to go down to almost nothing when I hit 50 today.
Hey it's the Internet. Nobody fact-checks.  icon_smile

I'm still putting you in charge of Finances. We can change your guildee title to "Treasurer."  icon_cool I assume there's some sort of guild credits stash we can all donate to. Hopefully we'll be able to afford some decent amount of guild stash space.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »

Clearly it was just a matter of time before the game made people... lose their heads!  icon_eek
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=818429
*They need to write this into a quest some time. "Help the Voss find their lost heads!"   icon_razz

I had no issues last night. Bioware said it's looking into it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:32:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 20, 2012, 09:31:16 PM

Clearly it was just a matter of time before the game made people... lose their heads!  icon_eek
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=818429
*They need to write this into a quest some time. "Help the Voss find their lost heads!"   icon_razz

I had no issues last night. Bioware said it's looking into it.

Are any other people reporting this issue? Just looks to me like he has a corrupted file somehwere.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »

Couple dev blog posts on key issues...

Georg Zoeller gives an update on ‘Ability Delay'
http://www.swtor.com/blog/georg-zoeller-gives-update-ability-delay
Thanks to constructive feedback from the community, including some great videos, we were able to identify an issue that could cause abilities on global cooldown to appear available to the player, resulting in unresponsive/ignored player input. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Additionally, we have located an issue that would cause player input for certain instant abilities to fail in frantic combat situations, resulting in unpredictable and frustrating gameplay issues for the affected player. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Finally, our engineers have identified an issue introducing a significant delay between player input and ability execution in certain game situations, most notably (but not limited to) fast paced PvP. The magnitude of the delay varies with a number of factors, including processor hardware, but can, especially on dual core CPUs, result in a very perceivable reduction in game responsiveness. We are in the later stages of testing a fix for the problem and hope to be able to roll it out to the servers very soon.

We're still investigating a number of additional issues, along with some usability and quality of life improvements for responsiveness regarding player input, but the above mentioned developments should provide a very measurable improvement in combat responsiveness.
In some further dev posts, he mentioned that among the varying factors is whether a player is a "clicker" (i.e., using mouse cursor to "click" on the hotkeys on your UI in the game) or "keyboarders" (mashing the designated keyboard key assigned to a hotkey in-game), and what you've set the que delay setting to in preferences. He made the point that while not everyone is complaining about or even noticing responsiveness delays, they do acknowledge it's a problem and don't need a "majority vote" to confirm that it is a problem they need to take steps to fix.

Blog update on Ilum PVP issues
http://www.swtor.com/blog/ilum-pvp-issues
After Game Update 1.1 went live, we discovered that the Open World PvP area on Ilum was not working as our PvP design team intended. As many of you know, large groups of players began capturing the Ilum control points, then 'camping' at the enemy's base. This led to a very frustrating experience for a number of players who were unable to leave their base and fight back against their attackers. It was not a fair gameplay experience. In addition, some players on the attacking side gained more Valor points than designed for the time they spent in PvP.

The amount of Valor granted from these activities was significantly more than intended and we are now carefully investigating players who were on Ilum during this period, and present at some of these 'camping' events. I can reassure you that those who were involved and who gained an unfair advantage over other players inappropriately will be carefully reviewed and action will be taken to restore game balance. This could include Valor adjustments or account actions in accordance with the severity of the issue.

We have made the decision not to enact a mass 'rollback' of Valor points for all players in the game, or even on Ilum. This would unfairly penalize some players who may not have been present during this event. Rest assured though, anyone and everyone who is found to have exploited the situation to an unreasonable degree will be investigated and actions taken as needed. Our in-game metrics are able to give us precise details on where players were, what they were doing and what rewards they gained.

We take any sort of situation where one group of players gains an unexpected or unintended advantage over other players very seriously and will act to ensure that all players can have a fair and fun game experience.
One of the funnier post exchanges I saw was a player claiming he'd received some Bioware e-mail that his valor would be adjusted and complaining about it in the forums (publicly kvetching about that sort of thing is always a no-no; better to submit a 'trouble ticket' or PM one of the Bioware reps privately). So this Bioware rep replied that they'd checked with the TOS team and nobody had actioned him; but now he'd get in trouble for lying about it at the forums. Oops!  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:59:59 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »

Star Wars: The Old Republic's Dumbest Glitches
http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216891p1.html
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2012, 03:22:38 PM »

Hmmm, sounds like the "fix" for "Horrid FPS" problems is "tips on optimizing your PC." Somehow, I don't think that will go over well, esp. if they say "turn off everything and run the game at 640X480"  icon_razz

Horrid FPS (update)
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2212415#edit2212415
Quote from: Joveth Gonzalez
Hi folks, I apologize for the delay in updates on this issue, but as I mentioned before, we needed time to gather data and put all of our information together in one digestible format.

We just finished editing a document that we hope to be able to publish as a forum post here in the CS forums as early as tomorrow.

I can tell you that it's going to be a guide on optimization performance (which includes FPS) for your PCs.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences here and for your patience as we work to continually improve your gaming experience.
=========
They're also investigating options for Manual Patching:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2207506#edit2207506
We actually are investigating different possibilities for allowing you to manually patch and we are working on providing the most beneficial solution.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2012, 07:48:12 PM »

Darth Hater pointed out a fan site interview...

Interview: BioWare’s Cory Butler and the Future of Star Wars: The Old Republic
http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/01/26/interview-biowares-cory-butler-and-the-future-of-star-wars-the-old-republic/
*Much of it is vague vagueness, though here was some of interest...
G: Between the features that get asked the most in the forums I noticed combat logs and chat bubbles. What are the plans on that front?

C: We always listen to our community and we take the feedback very seriously. I can confirm that combat logs will be coming in the relatively near future. I can’t really go into the specifics about chat bubbles just yet.

G: Will Space Combat ever entail a multiplayer component? Or your plans include only single player missions for now?

C: We’re working on adding new single player missions to the space game, and we’re actually working right now on another project with space that will expand the game significantly. Unfortunately I can’t go into details about that at the moment.
No promises about being able to toggle a hood up or down, but clearly they're aware of the desire for that.

The chat bubbles non-answer seems to be of the "we're looking into it but don't have anything to say about it right now" nature.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2012, 08:27:32 PM »

Are there any hood-down robes for Jedi Knights? I was wondering that myself. I hate that my female knight looks bald under there smile

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 27, 2012, 08:27:32 PM

Are there any hood-down robes for Jedi Knights? I was wondering that myself. I hate that my female knight looks bald under there smile
I know Sith have robes with the hood down.  I've seen many like that.  A hood up/hood down toggle would be great though.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2012, 03:39:04 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 27, 2012, 08:27:32 PM

Without going into Medium? Nope. Bioware wanted the 'iconic' look being shown all the time. Always. Without a doubt. And for you to be always bald.

Unless you put on Trooper armor anyhow.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2012, 01:28:02 PM »

I know it's hard to believe, but Bioware probably doesn't have a whiteboard with "Personally upset Destructor so he goes into Tourette's Syndrome-like bouts of angry cussing every day about our game, and make the quest bosses tick off Blackjack so he abruptly stops playing"  @#$(*&%  icon_smile that determines why the game does or doesn't do something.

Probably they have reasons (maybe bad ones, maybe sensible ones) that keep them from doing certain things we'd all like, yet. Probably they have a reason that the bosses on my "solo" quests constantly kick my ass and have at least temporarily drained the fun out of the game and driven me back to Steam for now.  *Fist Shaking*

I have played MMOs with "hoods down" options and usually either your character's hair, or their shoulders, or their necklace or something sticks through the "down hood" and looks goofy. But the games choose to live with that for the sake of flexibility. So it might come down to whether they can just live with that (it ain't like SWTOR is a flawless gem that would be Ruined by a little bit of graphical clipping through "retracted" hoods), or if they feel they have to make it Fabulous in order to implement that.  Fabulous
============

FINALLY, finally, Stephen Reid tried to explain why they keep disabling forum-posts, often right after a big update, as if they're trying to squelch any complaints/criticism until an update's been out a while. As I suspected, the "claimed" reason is related to stress on the forum database/software:

Read-Only Forums - Stop It
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2280305#edit2280305
Quote from: Stephen Reid
No conspiracy here - and we're not trying to stifle anything. If anyone has complaints, they'll just wait a little longer to complain.

The truth is that the Forums put quite a lot of strain on our servers, and when a downtime starts, many people hit the Forums at once. (Many of whom may not have seen the Forums, Community Blog or tweets previously to know about the downtime in advance.) In the past, we've seen excessive strain on the web servers as a result, and we've had performance issues.

To alleviate that, the decision was made to temporarily put the Forums into a 'read only' mode at the beginning of maintenance periods, to ensure they stay up and can be read (so those folk coming to the Forums who may not have known about the downtime get that information).

Is this acceptable? No, not in the long term. We have teams working on improving things to ensure this doesn't continue to occur; ultimately we want the Forums to remain online and to allow you to post during maintenance periods.
This is where a cynic would chime in that the best way to reduce forum loads is to keep pissing off and driving away subscribers. Then, eventually, this will bring post-update forum traffic down to a technically "acceptable" level.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:32:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »

A White crystal exists for lightsabers.      Nobody knows how to get it.    Discuss
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 30, 2012, 05:01:27 PM

A White crystal exists for lightsabers.      Nobody knows how to get it.    Discuss

How do they know it exists?

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 30, 2012, 05:41:56 PM

Quote from: msduncan on January 30, 2012, 05:01:27 PM

How do they know it exists?

Because white is the color of light and goodness and no matter how dark things get there must be that light and goodness somewhere, you just have to find it.  It does exist because it has too.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »

Maybe they just saw someone holding a flashlight and got confused.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/30/star-wars-the-old-republic-players-hunt-for-rumoured-white-lightsaber-crystal/

Story about the White crystal.    Some dude found one.   Or crafted one.   He won't say, but he posted pictures and videos.    There is now an effort to discover how he got it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »

BAH!    Bioware just released a statement saying the player in question got it illegally (through glitch or some other method).     White Crystal not in the game.

THis is a bit of a buzzkill.    It adds so much to a game to have an overreaching mystery like this that everyone is trying to figure out.    An item or treasure that is so rare that everyone is trying to figure out how to get it or where to go to start the process in acquiring it.       That mystery died today.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »

It's ok, someday they will completely overhaul the game without asking anyone, and everyone will be able to have a white light saber.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »

It did sound a lot like the Jedi fiasco from this past decade did it not?
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »

Planet and Bonus Series Level Ranges
http://aggronaut.com/?p=929

Republic Planet and Bonus Series Order

Tython / Ord Mantell       1-10
Coruscant                 10-16
Taris                     16-20
Taris Bonus Series        20-22
Nar Shaddaa               20-24
Tattooine                 24-28
Tattooine Bonus           28-30
Alderaan                  28-32
Nar Shaddaa Bonus Series  31-34
Balmorra                  32-36
Balmorra Bonus Series 1   35-37
Balmorra Bonus Series 2   36-38
Quesh                     36-37
Hoth                      37-41
Alderaan Bonus Series     40-44
Belsavis                  41-44
Voss                      44-47
Voss Bonus Series 1       47-49
Voss Bonus Series 2       47-49
Voss Bonus Series 3       47-49
Hoth Bonus Series         47-49
Corellia                  47-50
Belsavis Bonus            50
Ilum                      50

Empire Planet and Bonus Series Order

Korriban / Hutta           1-10
Dromund Kaas              10-16
Balmorra                  16-20
Balmorra Bonus Series     20-22
Nar Shaddaa               20-24
Tattooine                 24-28
Tattooine Bonus           28-30
Alderaan                  28-32
Nar Shaddaa Bonus Series  31-34
Taris                     32-36
Taris Bonus Series        35-37
Quesh                     36-37
Hoth                      37-41
Alderaan Bonus Series     40-44
Belsavis                  41-44
Voss                      44-47
Voss Bonus Series 1       47-49
Voss Bonus Series 2       47-49
Voss Bonus Series 3       47-49
Hoth Bonus Series         47-49
Corellia                  47-50
Belsavis Bonus            50
Ilum                      50
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »

Bioware posted its initial guide to General Performance Issues and Solutions (seems more "this is what these settings do" explanations, mostly):
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19909-general-performance-issues-and-solutions
*forums are down for maintenance, so this is Darth Hater's copy/paste of it:
As promised, we wanted to address some of the hot topics in our community right now: FPS (frames per second) and other performance issues. We’ve spent a lot of time reading the forum threads on these topics, and the client team has analyzed many, many performance logs. They’ve also met over the past few weeks to discuss how to best address these topics, and now we want to open up the conversation with you.

Avi Mintz, the Associate Project Manager for the client engineer team, has digested some information together into the post below. Over to Avi:

Hi everyone!

As Joveth mentioned above, my name is Avi Mintz and I’m the Associate Project Manager for the client engineering team.

Developing an MMORPG of this scale and detail means we must support a wide spectrum of performance-impacting scenarios, varied hardware compatibility issues and other unique challenges. Input from our community goes a long way to bolster our investigation efforts and narrow down elusive resolutions to these problems.

To that end, we’re hoping that we can start an open dialogue with you, the community; some of you have called out for this, others have taken the time to publish write-ups, and we are looking forward to collaborating with you to make this game a fantastic journey and a memorable experience for all involved.

Please remember, we read the forums and identify actionable items as often as possible, as well as receiving reports from the Community team on a regular basis. Although we can’t always respond with the frequency or immediacy that you might like, whenever an issue is raised to us, a developer is alerted and assigned to the issue. We prioritize to ensure that the identified issues that affect the largest number of players are dealt with first, but we are always working on whatever we have outstanding.

In this post, I’ll get a little more detailed into our client preferences and suggest some settings changes that may help you. In the future, we’ll update you on our optimization plans as we address known issues. Now that you know a little bit more about our processes, let’s get started.

Game settings and what they mean for performance

Any given PC can bottleneck in a few different locations (processing power, available memory, graphics processing power, etc.). While changing graphics settings can have an impact on any or all of these, finding a ‘sweet spot’ for your system might take a bit of experimentation. Such experimentation is probably best approached by turning everything to ‘Low’, and then turning various features up selectively and noting the effect. We’ve broken down some of the less straightforward options for you here to give you some insight into the workings of our rendering options.

Min-spec shaders
    The min-spec shader option allows faster rendering, at a reduced quality. This option also turns shadows and bloom off.

Shadows
    Our shadow options are High / Low / None, where:

Textures
    Our texture options are High / Low. We are planning an additional setting for character textures, closer to the quality seen in cinematic scenes, which is under development right now.

Anti-Aliasing
    Our anti-aliasing options are High / Low / Off. Depending on your system, these options represent different levels of jagged edge smoothing.
    Anti-aliasing is one of our more system-taxing features, and we do not recommend using it when running a video card with less than 1GB of memory. Keep in mind that the ‘performance cost’ is greater at higher resolutions.
    Note: anti-aliasing is temporarily disabled for ATI 6900 series cards, due to severe graphical artifacts. We are working with ATI to resolve this bug, and we will re-enable the option for the 6900 series as soon as possible.

Resolution and Window mode
    Window mode options are Fullscreen / Fullscreen (windowed) / Windowed, where:
Minimum spec, recommended spec and performance

Error Code 7
Error code 7 is our way of reporting a game initialization failure – essentially, the game failed to run. There has been some speculation about this message being a ‘gate’ blocking players based on their system, but that is not quite accurate. Here are some situations that will result in an error code 7:

Missing technology that would cause an unplayable scenario. To be more specific, we require SSE3, introduced in late 2004.
    Missing PlatformInfo.dll file (part of the SWTOR client).
    Failure to create a Direct3D device – usually caused by an absent or outdated graphics card driver.

Note that this factor is not related to system processing capabilities, but rather fundamental system architecture (e.g. a 2011 netbook CPU might be able to run SWTOR while a 2004 desktop CPU might not).

If you’re receiving error code 7, but your system should be up to the task of running SWTOR, please contact us through Customer Service with the email tagline ’Error Code 7‘. We have introduced additional logging in patch 1.1.0 that can help us diagnose and pinpoint the source of failure.

Low FPS in the fleets, warzones and Ilum
We’re very aware of the frame-rate degradation that even top-notch systems experience in these gameplay scenarios. We’ve taken measures to control the overall impact that character-heavy scenarios can have on system performance, but there is always more we can do. We are constantly investigating and optimizing, and we are in the process of making changes to the fleets that have hopefully yielded some improvement.

Some of you have pointed out that your GPU is not being fully utilized when in these types of situations; we have found that character-heavy situations like these are usually limited by the CPU, not by rendering, so this makes sense.

Other changes you can make that will help improve performance:

We’ve read that some mobile graphics cards might not appropriately set their performance profile when running SWTOR. You can correct this by going to your graphics control panel and manually setting up a profile.
    Disabling Windows Aero can also improve performance slightly.
    And, of course, shutting down background programs can only help.

Client crashes
Our data says that, when measured as an average across all players, crashes during SWTOR gameplay are relatively rare. That being said, there might be some users that have the perfect storm of hardware, settings or activities that provoke repeated crashes in a way that we can practically diagnose and fix. If you experience consistent crashes, or if you know of a consistently reproducible one, please take a visit to this thread (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=162925&highlight=crash+desktop) and post your information there – we’re always looking for more issues like this to fix, and increasing SWTOR stability will always be a top priority for our team.

We recently messaged that we fixed a frame-rate degradation problem that occurred when shadows were on ‘High’; this fix also greatly increased stability on 32-bit systems.

System failures
If your system consistently shuts down unexpectedly, please go to this thread (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=163045) and post your information. Some of you have already done this, and your posts have been extremely helpful. We’ve analyzed all the information you’ve provided so far, and this is what we can say…

SWTOR has the capacity to heavily utilize your system. If you are running the game with high graphics settings, this is especially true. System flaws or inadequacies that might not be evident when idling or playing other games could possibly be exposed when you are running SWTOR, especially in moments that put extra pressure on your system (PVP, Operations, etc.) To name a few things you should look out for:

Blue Screens are displayed when Windows encounters a critical error. Errors of this nature are usually hardware or driver related.

For every visit you’ve made to the Forums to post constructively or inform us of an issue – thank you. Your DXDiags help us (even if you do forget to use spoiler tags sometimes!!) and we hope you’ll continue to work with us to make SWTOR great.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2012, 01:25:56 PM »

Some of you have pointed out that your GPU is not being fully utilized when in these types of situations; we have found that character-heavy situations like these are usually limited by the CPU, not by rendering, so this makes sense.

Uh, why? Why is a place where you'll find loads of character models and such and tons of polygons being limited by the CPU? Shouldn't this be a GPU problem? Sure sounds like it.

Or does their engine suck this much (reminds me of the early EQ2 days) that it's trying to render character models/animations (things the GPU should be doing) under high-load situations?

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:18 AM »

Information on SWTOR business performance from today's EA earnings conference call via DarthHater:

[EA] sold through two million units of the game since December. We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started playing yet or have opted out.

nearly 40% of the December sell through went through Origin

Active subscribers means anyone paying or in their trial period. Most of those 1.7m are paying at this point.

unique log-ins are averaging about one million per day and their average play time is approximately four hours per day.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

Upcoming changes currently on the test server:

Biochem
  • Energized and Exotech stims and adrenals no longer require Biochem to use.
  • Energized and Exotech stims and adrenals are no longer bound, allowing them to be traded or sold to other players.
  • Rakata reusable stims and adrenals have been reduced in power, providing buffs equal to Energized stims and adrenals.

and post on thinking behind change:

First off, we removed the requirement to have the BioChem profession to use Energized and Exotech stims and adrenals. This was done to (a) remove pressure of players to pick up BioChem for optimal combat performance and (b) to open up the sale of BioChem products to a larger audience on the Galactic Trade Network.

Additionally, we've reduced the effectiveness of the BioChem exclusive Rakata Stimpacks to be equal to Energized stimpacks. Their intended benefit is the cost savings they provide over time, not an increase in power. We are also in progress of reviewing the creation costs of many consumables in the game against the economic realities (acquisition cost of purple mission materials on our live servers) and will likely make adjustments to these in the future.

It is our intention to gradually, over multiple patches, reduce the impact of situational consumables on endgame combat resolution and shift the factors which determine the outcome of combat more towards personal skill. As part of this effort, specifically for PvP, we are also working on changes that will reduce the gear related power difference between new characters at level 50 and players in full PvP gear. We feel that at the current time, this difference is too high.

On a more general note about crafting, our changes to make BioChem consumables freely tradeable are just a small first step as part of a larger scale effort to extend our crafting gameplay, for all professions, into the endgame.

Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy – as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.

Long term, our plan is to evolve Star Wars: The Old Republic’s game economy to a more player driven model, strengthen and improve the GTN and embrace the game’s extensive appearance customization throughout the game. We have a long list of improvements planned for that but we’re also anxious to hear from you. Feel free to use this thread to give us your feedback on the topic!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »

It seems BioWare just doesn't really know what it's doing and is grasping for ideas.

The rakata stimpack nerf (its 2nd major nerf), to make it the same power as a regular medpack but provide cost savings? Wow. So I have to run a heroic, each of which I can only do once a day, to get a chance at getting the item I need to craft the stimpack, and all that is just to save me money, when my only expense at level 50 is giving credits to my alts?

On top of that, they obviously have no idea what they're doing with PvP and are going to nerf the high end PvP equipment because poor noob 50's are dying.

I hope they start learning how to run an MMO fast because they are going to be losing a ton of subscribers with these nerfs and mismanagement.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »

apparently you ignored this line  "It is our intention to gradually, over multiple patches, reduce the impact of situational consumables on endgame combat resolution and shift the factors which determine the outcome of combat more towards personal skill."

Rather than beating someone down because you have better gear\situational stim's you should be winning because your a better player.  This is what PvP in Warcraft devolved into; "I have better gear so you have no chance to beat me".

Oh and a game like Warcraft thats been out for like 7 years is still under going changes\tweaks, so its a process.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:03:51 PM by drifter » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: