http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:43:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (dev posts, news items, fan sites etc.)  (Read 16867 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »

Though I don't want to go Hellgate: London crazy with separate threads (we must've had 50!), I just thought maybe something focused on dev tracker stuff from official forums, and news articles that seem interesting might be useful since the main thread is crazy busy, and scrolling new pages like mad

Here's a news start from Massively. Interestingly, the "updated" is referring to launch figures that Ohlen talked about, and that Massively removed upon Bioware's request. I'm sure he'll get an earful from Stephen Reid about that.  icon_razz

Massively Exclusive: The Force ghosts of past, present, and future with SWTOR's James Ohlen [updated]
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/14/massively-exclusive-the-force-ghosts-of-past-present-and-futu/
What did you find to be the most "sticky" with players? A lot of our readers are wondering what's going to make them want to play this game over and over again. What are your thoughts on that?

There are a whole bunch of things. Obviously, the thing we've been talking about over and over again is story. We get a lot of comments from players: Unlike any other online games they've played, they really feel attached to their characters' personal story. They care about their avatars a lot more. Unlike other games, SWTOR really immerses players more in the game world, and that makes them want to come back. The story is what's going to drive people to play levels 1 to 50.

We've also been finding that a lot of the other activities we've included -- warzones, the space game, the crafting game -- are becoming quite popular. The warzone PvP is very popular. It's more popular than we thought it was going to be. In fact, I've already been in a warzone that popped in the morning. As soon as people got to level 10, they started queuing up for it. I think there are going to be a lot of people who are attracted to PvP and the warzones.

The space game is getting more popular too. It's more of a minigame. The space missions are daily missions. You do them when you log in for fun or when you're about to log off. I think a lot of players are going to do that.

The crafting and economic game (the auction house, which we call the Galactic Trade Network) is another area. Some players are very attracted to playing the economic game. They want to become really good crafters or they want to sell and buy things at the Galactic Trade Network. That's another activity that's going to attract players.

One of the biggest activities that people are going to do is the flashpoints. A lot of people like to run the flashpoints over and over again. They really like that experience.

What we've done with the experience point curb is give out experience for almost all of your activities: questing, killing creatures, warzones, the space game, flashpoints, world quests. When you're playing through the game from level 1 to 50, you can actually decide what kind of game you want to play.

Do you play a game where you're just focused on questing? You're doing your class story; you're doing the world quests. That's what you're focused on. Do you want to mix it up? You're doing your class quests, but you want to get a lot of your experience points through PvPing in warzones. You can do that, and then you don't have to do as many world quests if you don't want to. Or, for example, you can get a lot of your experience points from flashpoints. You can do your class arc and flashpoints and kind of ignore PvP. Or you can have a total mix. During my last playthrough, I was doing class quests, then heroic quests and the flashpoints, and I also did space when I logged off. This gave me enough experience points to level through the planets the way that I wanted to.

We don't really expect the players to play the game one way. There so many different ways you can tailor the game according to what you like.
Six months to a year down the line, what will hold people to the game?

In other MMOs, the team moves on to other games or gets downsized. We've actually kept our team, and we're not working on anything else. It's a little bit different for me. Basically, when I finished with Baldur's Gate, I went on to Baldur's Gate 2, then I immediately went to Neverwinter Nights, then I immediately went to Knights of the Old Republic. But here I'm finished with SWTOR, and it's just more SWTOR. The whole team is that way. We don't have a secret project. It's nothing but new content for The Old Republic. We have teams working on new flashpoints; we have teams working on new operations; we have teams working on new game systems and on new space missions.

One of the new game systems we are working on is giving you the ability to modify your user interface. That's something we've wanted to do for a long time. We have a team dedicated to that. We have a lot of people who are fans of color-matching to chestpiece too. We have people working on that. Guilds are a huge part of the game, so we have a team focused on adding guild functionality to the game. Right now we are working on guild banks. We are going to be working on guild functionality for the foreseeable future -- for years!

We have a lot of content and game systems that we are still working on, and we're going to continue working on them, releasing them on a regular cadence. All of these things are going to be available as part of the subscription, so you don't have to pay extra, too. We are going to be releasing new game systems and content for players. A lot of it is going to be aimed at the elder gameplay. So if you want to continue to play that character instead of an alt, you're going to have access to the new space missions, new flashpoints, operations, and warzones or other PvP activities.
Lot on the legacy system but clearly I've already gone out of control with cut'n'paste, sorry.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:20:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »

Aaand on the Dev Tracker side, first few Scheduled Server Maintenance Periods outlined:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=295252#edit295252
Generally speaking we are aiming to limit our scheduled maintenance period to once a week, on Tuesdays. We are aiming for this weekly maintenance period to take place in an off-peak time for both North American and European players. We are also aiming to inform players of the precise duration of any weekly maintenance period at least 24 hours before the maintenance begins.

The upcoming maintenance windows (detailed below) are exceptions, and are needed to prepare ourselves for our official launch on December 20th.

Maintenance Window #1:

Date: Early hours of Friday, December 16th (CST)
Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET)

All game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than four hours, but could be extended.

Maintenance Window #2:
Date: Evening of December 19th (CST) [Monday]
Time: 6PM CST (4PM PST/7PM EST/12AM GMT/1AM CET)

All game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to complete before 11PM CST, and will mark the end of Early Game Access for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Maintenance Window #3:
Date: Early hours of December 22nd (CST) [Thursday]
Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET)

All game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than three hours, but could be extended.
Normally I'd blanche about a 7 p.m. EST server downtime, though I understand it's to get everything as ship-shape as possible for Tuesday's mega-launch.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:25:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »

In the "fascinating minutae" category, SWTOR Life looked at the origins of the various server names to date (skipping any where it's based on something discovered in-game and could be something of a spoiler):

TOR Lore: Server Name Lore Explanations
http://www.swtor-life.com/lore/tor-lore-server-name-lore-explanations/5399/#more-5399
So for the one where we stuck our little Republic guild on, it's...
Dreshdae Cantina – (PVE East): Dreshdae was a settlement on the planet Korriban located near the Sith Academy.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »

48-Hour Grace Period Announced! (in case of any shipping snafus that keep you from receiving your game in time for Dec. 20's launch):
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=301753#edit301753
Quote from: Bioware's Greg Zeschuk
While we've worked closely with our retailers in the launch territories to ensure copies of Star Wars: The Old Republic are available from our launch date of December 20th, we understand that for those of you who’ve pre-ordered, there may be a concern about getting your copy on time. We’ve heard you want a 'grace period' where you can continue to play without having to enter a final product registration code (AKA 'game code').

We've been listening, and after doing another deep review of our platform infrastructure, we're taking action. Today, we're announcing a two day grace period for Star Wars: The Old Republic customers.

This means that everyone who pre-ordered and is in the Early Game Access program has forty-eight hours from launch in which to enter their product registration code, which will be found inside the physical Standard and Collector's Editions of the game; for digital editions of the game from Origin.com, the registration code will have been emailed to you after December 16th and will arrive before December 19th at 11:59PM EST.

After December 22nd 12:01AM EST, you will be required to have a valid payment method and a product registration code registered to your account to continue to play. We strongly recommend that you register your product code as soon as you are able to do so (rather than waiting until the last minute) to ensure a seamless entry into the game, a smooth experience on the account website and to collect any special gifts and items you may be entitled to based on the version of the game you purchased.

We understand that for some, your copy of the game may still arrive on or after December 22nd. Unfortunately, we cannot extend the grace period any further. We suggest you contact your retailer to discuss shipping options, if this is a concern.

You may be wondering if your 30 days of game time (included with your purchase of the game) will be affected by the grace period. The answer is no. If you redeem your product registration code during the grace period, and add a valid payment method to your account, you will begin your billing cycle from then, and you will be entitled to 30 days of game time. If you redeem your product registration code before December 20th, your billing cycle will begin on December 20th at 12:01AM EST (the official launch date and time of the game).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »

An Early Access Invites update (they've gotten all the way through early December's pre-orders today):
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=317844#edit317844
Looking forward to tomorrow, I wanted to try and explain the invite 'pattern' you've seen this week. It can be confusing, because we've been inviting a growing number of people on a daily basis, but the timing of people's code redemptions might not seem to match.

It goes back to our pre-order redemption numbers. Our graph of redeemed pre-order codes looks like two mountains with a flat plain in-between, basically. There's a massive peak from back in July (when we announced pre-orders) and a smaller, but growing peak at the end (recently). In the middle, there was a long period where the numbers of people redeeming pre-order codes were steady, but lower.

Now, we've been inviting large numbers of people every day, with more being invited day-on-day. What that has meant is, because of the pattern of pre-order codes being redeemed, on Day One of Early Game Access, we invited a lot of people who had redeemed over a short span of time (late July). Yesterday and today, we invited a lot of people but over a larger span of time (all the way to early December).

The question I know a lot of you have is, why haven't we yet invited those who redeemed very recently? The answer is because of the volume of recent pre-orders that have been redeemed, which is spiking up very high. So, a lot of people have redeemed in a short period of time. Essentially we're in the same place we were on the 13th, where we invited a lot of people, but most had redeemed in the same short period of time.

TL;DR - We've seen a LOT of pre-orders redeemed in the last couple of weeks, and that means that even though we're really close (in date terms) to getting everyone in, we couldn't quite do it today.

Tomorrow's invite waves start at 8AM CST
I'd also keep an eye on the Server Status page (http://www.swtor.com/server-status).

Although I'm trying to be committed to the Cantina server with the guild on it, if you see really bad wait ques on that tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to try less loaded servers for the weekend and then maybe check out our cantina server some other time.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »

Hey Blackjack, just wanted to say that I appreciate your tracking down all this info for us!  thumbsup
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »

Sweet! I preordered yesterday, and that last post almost makes it sound like they are hoping to get everyone into early play today. I was hoping to ahve it before the weekend! *fingers crossed*
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 15, 2011, 11:52:42 PM

Hey Blackjack, just wanted to say that I appreciate your tracking down all this info for us!  thumbsup
I like doing it (Monday-Tuesday is crunch day at my job, I tend to have a bit more leeway other days). I do have to play though, so it's cutting into my tracking down the news time!  icon_smile

If you're curious about the naming restrictions for SWTOR, SWTOR-Life took a closer look (the examples they give can be quite amusing  icon_razz, I underlined some below)
http://www.swtor-life.com/news/naming-rules-do-you-really-know-the-rules/5321/#more-5321
D. Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.
    You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.
    You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.
    You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.
    You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.
    You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.
    You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.
    You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.
    You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.
    You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.
    You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.  icon_lol
    You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »

Dev Tracker wise, bunch of new servers:
General Discussion -> Current Server List
12.15.2011 11:41 PM
A new West Coast PvE server, Krath, is now available!

12.15.2011 10:32 PM

Eight new servers are now available:
    East Coast PvE - The Corsair
    East Coast RP-PvP - Ven Zallow
    EU PvP (German) - The Krath Enchanter
    EU PvE (German) - Darth Andeddu
    EU PvP (English) - Uthar Wynn
    EU PvP (English) - Kai-kan
    EU PvE (English) - Bao-Dur
    EU PvE (English) - Ludo Kressh

12.15.2011 10:32 PM
    East Coast PvE - Thana Vesh
    West Coast PvE - Zaalbar

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 16, 2011, 04:18:39 PM

Quote from: ydejin on December 15, 2011, 11:52:42 PM

Hey Blackjack, just wanted to say that I appreciate your tracking down all this info for us!  thumbsup
I like doing it (Monday-Tuesday is crunch day at my job, I tend to have a bit more leeway other days). I do have to play though, so it's cutting into my tracking down the news time!  icon_smile

If you're curious about the naming restrictions for SWTOR, SWTOR-Life took a closer look (the examples they give can be quite amusing  icon_razz, I underlined some below)
http://www.swtor-life.com/news/naming-rules-do-you-really-know-the-rules/5321/#more-5321
D. Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.
    You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.
    You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.
    You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.
    You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.
    You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.
    You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.
    You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.
    You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.
    You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.
    You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.  icon_lol
    You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

Damn. Those are some rigorous restrictions. You can't use 'title' names like Darthsomething? Do you get the title later? And, dammit, I wanted to play as the Buddha! (/throws something angrily to the ground)  icon_razz
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »

Since we'll likely have multiple guilds here, this following is important -- though I think maybe it's only an issue if you created a guild before Early Access for the early deployment?

ALERT: Guild Leaders, do not delete your character!
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=322909#edit322909
We've been seeing an increased number of guild leaders deleting themselves immediately after accepting their auto-invite from the Guild Headquarters. This is not good, because auto-invites sent via the web site may only be accepted ONCE per account.

Guild leaders should be very careful to only accept the auto-invite if they intend to keep the character they are accepting the invite with. If you are not sure about your character, decline the invite instead, which will allow you to create future characters and receive the auto-invite again.

By accepting your invite and then immediately deleting your character, the guild will then be in a state where it will be leaderless for up to two weeks.

Guilds that have been put into this state are not stuck, however. While the guild will be leaderless for up to two weeks, around January 3rd the system will automatically promote an officer to the rank of Guild Leader. At that time, the new Guild Leader would be able to "abdicate" his leadership to another guild member.

We ask that guild leaders be VERY careful with their characters, as Customer Service will be unable to assist in situations where guild members are unwilling to promote/demote other members of their guild.
This shouldn't be an issue (as I read it) after early February when they close the web site portion of early deployment guilds. And if you're starting a guild from scratch today, I guess it doesn't apply.

Probably still safest if you're starting a guild, make sure the character doing it is one you plan to stick with and not just one you're fooling around with for a few levels and then deleting.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:31:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »

PR, I'm sure Harkonis and co. will be working up the Empire way quickly, and perhaps they can shed light on the titles and if you get something Darthy.  icon_smile

I can only speak to The Smuggler, who gets prefix titles like "Captain" (which I usually use) and "The Outlaw," or a "suffix" title like "The Uncompromising" etc.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:31:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »

Although you can figure out from the Codex in-game what crew skills work best together (e.g., what skills complement crafting weapons or armor), it's kind of handy to have that on one page, Darth Hater to the rescue:
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/19800-guide-choosing-crew-skills

And 1UP has a fairly concise Character Class Guide:
http://www.1up.com/features/star-wars-old-republic-character-class-guide?pager.offset=1
*This doesn't get into a lot of detail, it's mostly to help you figure out at a glance what type of class you might like, based on what you might like in other mmorpgs. Note that it seems to just highlight one companion of the several you'll eventually have; I don't know if that's maybe the last one you get, or the one they think is the coolest etc.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:20:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:52:48 PM »

Per Exodor's suggestion...

Crew Skillz
http://www.crewskillz.com/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:55:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »

Bioware issued a statement to try to calm concerns about the growing wait ques this weekend (that's how I read at least):

Regarding server queues
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=421725#edit421725
The following is a brief statement from Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer, Live Services:

"We know there have been questions about the queues on the servers, so we wanted to take a moment to give you some insight.

In order to ensure that the service would be smooth and stable, we staged how we brought people into the Early Game Access program, adding people in waves. As you know, there are a lot of folks who want to play the game right now and we want to make sure they have lots of people to play with. Balancing this with figuring out when to bring new servers online to help alleviate the size of the queues is part art and part science. On one hand, you do not want people to wait too long – on the other hand, you want to make sure that people have a dynamic, engaging community to play with for long after launch. Either way, we have one clear objective – to make sure folks have fun.

While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »

A few more new servers...

Quote from: Bioware's Eric Musco
Current Server List
Three new servers are now available:

EU PvE (English) - Dxun Battle Circle
    EU PvP (English) - The Exile's Crystal
    EU PvE (German) - Faustin Academy

[and earlier]
12.18.2011 01:19 PM
A new East Coast PvE server, Telos Restoration Project, is now available!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »

A player's fairly useful Guide to Space Combat (there's no "tutorial" in game about it):
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=497090#post497090
BASIC CONTROLS:
Movement: You move the ship around by moving the mouse around. The ship 'glides' in the direction of the mouse point, so you have to be careful about your movement when around collision obstacles.

Blasters
: Just left click and hold to fire your blasters. The speed of your blaster fire is dependent mostly upon your ship's Beam Generator while the damage of the blasters is affected by the Beam Charger.

Missiles: Right click to fire of your missiles. You have can 4 loaded at a time and the number next to the loaded missiles is how many more you still have left in the bay, which means you have that number plus the number of currently loaded missiles. You can increase the number of missiles your ship can hold by using a Missile Magazine. One of the nice thing about missiles is that they do lots of damage and they don't take away from the recharging of your shields.

Barrel Roll: This simple maneuver is done by hitting the [SPACE] bar. Keep in mind it can only be used so fast and is most effective when you also move your mouse to a different part of the screen. Doing this can help reduce the damage you take. Items such as an Energy Shield and a Shield Regenerator can help reduce the damage you take as well, while Ship Armor increases the total HP of your ship. If these items aren't very high you'll need to use tricky flying and barrel rolls to limit the damage you do take on those harder missions.

You'll receive a quest for each space mission the first time you do them and then they'll be lumped into dailies afterwards. Just go to the bridge of your ship and grab those quests to earn some extra exp and credits. I recommend letting people know you're about to do them if you're engaging in conversation because you lose the chat window while in space (nobody can hear you scream) and it's easy for messages to get buried in exp spam if you use the general settings for your chat tab.

Tips:
Upgrade your ship. If you try to do these missions without any upgrades you're going to have a rough time. Grade 1 (hence why I call the missions grade 1) upgrades are recommended and can be purchased from the Starship Upgrade NPC on almost every planet.

Don't lead the target. This isn't like most space games where you have to predict the trajectory of your foe. Just hover the cursor over the target and fire a few shots and then move on. I like to RP that the ship's computer does the calculations for the lasers to hit their intended targets.

Stop firing.
If you're taking damage to your shield, the only way to let them regen is to stop firing your blasters. That means take caution with your targets and take them down quickly OR you can use missiles. If you know you've got a few to spare and need the extra protection, take down a few fliers with a missile.

Barrel Roll. Ships flying at you shoot at you and do decent damage. While it's ideal to take them out before they can get shots off at you (like when ships are flying away; kill them before they turn around and dive bomb you) it's not always possible. Hitting the [SPACE] bar will let you do a barrel roll which helps with dodging those blasters; just be careful where you roll. Some missions have collision areas (Archenar Interception) and the roll can smack your ship into an asteroid. Also; don't do your barrel rolls after you've been hit (like I did a few times in the videos)

Hidden Objectives
There are a couple of objectives that reward decent exp that aren't displayed in the mission tracker. In the Balosar Outpost you can destroy the com relay under the station and you can destroy the bridge of the massive capital ship in the Makem Te Assault mission. Be careful when going after these because you might spend too much time, and too many missiles, trying to take them down.
I have found space combat useful for finishing off a level (e.g., going from L18 to L19). If you only have a little while to go, space mission completion XP and the XP for kills within the space mission is quite substantial for a "mini game."

There are about 4 ship ugprades (EMP generator, photon torpedos etc.) that I haven't quite figured out how to get. The ship upgrades vendor doesn't seem to offer them. Maybe they're crafted?

My main tip is be conservative with missiles and save them for objectives that require them or are easier to do with them. Even with the upgrade (40 missiles), you use them up quickly if you're not paying attention. Nothing quite so helpless as having a couple "hard" mission objective things and not having missiles to finish them with.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:00:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »

He doesn't mention that if you right click and drag you can target multiple targets with your missiles.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »

If you're curious about companion gifts, this player used Google Docs to create an online spreadsheet of companion gifts:

NOTE:
Certainly if you don't wanna know the names of all the various companions you can get (i.e., if you consider that spoiler-ish), then skip viewing these links below.

SWTOR Companion Gift Guide
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AgymJMfLgH4jdGd0QnJfLS1WbVZQcXVMTGU4S3A4eUE&output=html

There's also a sortable version here (though I had some troubles getting the link to load):

Microsoft Excel Web AppSwtor companion gift guide
https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=E77018D864CDB5C7&resid=E77018D864CDB5C7!214

*I'm still not sure I understand what the point of the affection stuff is. Does it have any impact on crafting, or their combat abilities? Beyond "shagging" someone down the road in the storyline cause she thinks Blackjack is so wonderful, is there any other point to it?  confused  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:28:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »

From what I understand, affection determines crafting time and also opens up relationship/companion story quests. Gifts can be used to cancel out disagreeable choices (like Dragon Age).

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »

Update from Stephen Reid about server maintenance tonight and tomorrow's launch:

Launch downtime reminder - new servers incoming
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=510172#edit510172
Quote from: Bioware's Stephen Reid
Tonight at 12:01AM EST we are officially launching Star Wars: The Old Republic.

This is a huge moment for everyone - both the fans and those who created the game. Thanks for being part of the experience so far, and we look forward to running the best game service we can for years to come.

Tonight, we are bringing the servers down for maintenance as we prepare for launch, as previously mentioned. Both the game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline from 6PM CST (4PM PST/7PM EST/12AM GMT/1AM CET) to 11PM CST (8PM PST/12AM EST/5AM GMT/6AM CET).

As well as bringing the existing game servers back online, from 11PM CST onwards we'll be bringing up a large number of new servers, spread across all three of our server locations (US West Coast, US East Coast and Europe). As always, every server is available to anyone to play on - just select your preferred location (US / Europe) from the tab at the bottom of the server select screen.

Even with these additional servers we are expecting queues on the most popular servers, and these queues are likely to persist for a while yet. We are monitoring them closely and raising population caps where necessary, however this is a careful process that is ongoing. Our servers do not have unlimited populations and we want every server to have a healthy population during and after launch.

If you are joining the game for the first time during this launch period, or if you are looking for a lower population server to play on, now is the best time to create a character on a new server. We would strongly advise anyone joining the game to not attempt to create a new character on a server that is listed as 'Full', unless you are comfortable with the potential for queues to enter the server.

Finally, don't forget that after tonight's downtime, you are entering a 'grace period' in which you will need to enter your final product registration code (AKA 'game code') from your copy of the game (or your email from Origin), along with your preferred payment method, to activate your 30 days of game time.

As another reminder, we'll be taking down the game servers and SWTOR.com at the end of that 'grace period' at 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET), the early hours of December 22nd. When the servers come back up at that time, you will need a product registration code redeemed on your account to continue playing.
To ensure you can continue to play, make sure you redeem your code as soon as possible.

We're getting ready for launch - we hope you are too. We look forward to seeing you online!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:46 PM »

Awww, crap. So, more or less, we can't play tonight. Maybe I'll do a late night gaming session and bring my Sith Inquisitor up a couple of levels.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2011, 05:56:46 PM

A player's fairly useful Guide to Space Combat (there's no "tutorial" in game about it):
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=497090#post497090

Thanks Blackjack.  I had no idea about the Barrel Roll thing.

Quote from: Teggy on December 19, 2011, 06:20:00 PM

He doesn't mention that if you right click and drag you can target multiple targets with your missiles.

Wow, would never have figured that one out.  Doesn't that turn things in to easy mode -- at least until you run out of missles.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 02:09:26 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 19, 2011, 11:41:46 PM

Awww, crap. So, more or less, we can't play tonight. Maybe I'll do a late night gaming session and bring my Sith Inquisitor up a couple of levels.
I would assume Wait Ques from Hell at 12:01 a.m. EST. paranoid I got a long day at work tomorrow so I'm just gonna decompress and hopefully get back into the swing of things Tuesday night.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 04:10:37 AM »

Hmmm, had this realization I've been completely ignoring Datachrons (the box thingies that you find and open for a permanent stat boost). Though I can vouch you can reach L21 with your Smuggler and be perfectly happy without ever finding a single Datachron.

Found this cool site that has a list of them all with stats (obviously spoiler-iffic if you prefer to find those yourself).

SWTOR Spy's Datachrons page
http://www.swtor-spy.com/datacrons/
*These includes precise map locations, along with screenshot-illustrated walkthroughs on how to reach them. Definitely something to bookmark if you wanna catch up on your Datachrons.  icon_smile
Datacrons are special collectibles that you can find in unusual places on all planets in Star Wars: The Old Republic. They are usualy located in seldom visited locations and are sometimes hard to reach. Once you do find them, right clicking on them will start a short cutscene and you will be granted a permanent bonus to one of your stats or you will be granted a colored matrix shard.

These matrix shards are used for constructing the highest quality item modifications. Combining different colored matrix shards will grant different stats on newly created mods.
Like TORHead, SWTOR Spy has a pretty minimalist main page:
http://www.swtor-spy.com/

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 05:43:18 AM »

SWTOR Spy also has a ton of great guides on all sorts of stuff:
http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/

I read up on speeders over here:
http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/swtor-speeder-guide/399/

Cripes, 40,000 cr just to learn how to drive one? Ugh.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »

Although the main SWTOR web site isn't back up yet, they did release a video w/ interviews to mark the launch:

“Your Saga Begins” Launch Documentary
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/your-saga-begins-launch-documentary
*It's pretty long, at more than 8 minutes.
**Although they don't give voice cast names, you do get to see several of the voice actors at work.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:33:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 20, 2011, 05:43:18 AM

Cripes, 40,000 cr just to learn how to drive one? Ugh.  icon_razz

its really not that bad, cash is far easier to come by compared to WoW.    I never had 40,000 gold at one time in WoW even at level 85, in SWTOR I just hit level 20 and I have over 40K already.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 20, 2011, 01:51:49 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 20, 2011, 05:43:18 AM

Cripes, 40,000 cr just to learn how to drive one? Ugh.  icon_razz

its really not that bad, cash is far easier to come by compared to WoW.    I never had 40,000 gold at one time in WoW even at level 85, in SWTOR I just hit level 20 and I have over 40K already.
You have to know what you're doing with crafting and what not. I don't, and have never had more than about 9K in the game (at L21), most of which I blew on a couple crafted pistols.  icon_razz

I found out SWTOR Life has a useful Dev Tracker feature, although it includes a lot of tech support stuff that isn't technically "dev" material:
http://www.swtor-life.com/developer-tracker-swtor/

Since it pastes in stuff from the official forums, it's useful when that's down.

Here's an update on the new servers for launch:
The following new servers have been added for launch!

US East Coast PVE - English

Whitebeam Run
    Khoonda Militia
    Keetael
    Ki-Ta Kren
    The Courageous
    Anturi Reach
    Firaxan Shark
    The Defenestrator
    Fort Garnik
    The Razor
    Assassins of Sion
    Hanharr
    ICE Breaker
    Eidolon Security
    Elysium
    Sedyn Kyne
    Axial Park
    Nathema
    Crevasse City
    Zez-Kai Ell
    Colonel Tobin
    Master Dorak

US East Coast PvP - English

Thendys Noori
    Rwookrrorro
    The Deadweight
    Gardens of Talla
    Cho Mai
    Infinity Gate
    Darth Malak

US East Coast - RP-PvE - English

Kath Hound

US West Coast - PvE - English

Soresu
    Zakkeg Beast
    Perlemian Trade Route
    Empress Teta
    Darth Xedrix
    Gauntlet of Kressh
    Veeboo Lunx
    Drooga's Pleasure Barge
    Namadii Corridor
    Fa'athra
    Master Gnost-Dural

US West Coast - PvP - English

The Maw
    Shadowtown
    The Bastion

US West Coast - RP-PvE - English

Lord Ieldis

EU - PvE

English
        Dune Bantha
        The Arkanian Legacy
        Bacca's Blade
        Goluud Corridor
        Flames of Crucible
        Sluis Shipyards
    French
        Vodo-Siosk Baas
    German
        Lenico Gargantuan
        Murakami Orchid
        The Cinzia
        Stereb Cities

EU - PvP

English
        The Shadow Runner
        The Kumumgah
        Tassaa Bareesh
        Ula Vii
        Senator Contispex
        Tott Doneeta
    French
        Atris
        Princess Galia
        Dol Grenn
    German
        Blotus the Hutt
        Exis Station
        Brianna

EU - RP-PvE

English
        Shaltin Tunnels
    German
        Zayne Carrick

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »

Pal at another forum said the German "Blotus the Hutt" server is the best server name ever.  icon_lol

*To avoid the "known-issue" land mines out there, check out the Dec. 19 "known issues" list:

Known In-Game Issues: Updated December 19th | 12.13.2011 , 12:29 PM

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=5533
       For the Sith Warrior mission "A New Master", defeating Teeno first will prevent players from speaking to Phyne to progress as intended.

Workaround: Sometimes, players can leave the mission phase and enter again, which may allow for Phyne to be selected. If she is not, players will need to abandon the mission and complete the fight again, this time ensuring Teeno is not defeated first.
===================
        When using the Master Looter grouping feature, players currently cannot assign loot to other people in the group (normal or Operations groups) when that loot is from a chest and will receive the message: "Access denied."

When grouped with another character of your same class and while inside a Class Phase, looting may request players to roll for loot rather than giving it to the player automatically. This happens most often when group members are not within the proper proximity to be eligible for the items. Note that the window may require more than one roll attempt, but the appropriate player will receive the loot after about 30 seconds.
================
        Sorting within the guild window can cause members in the roster to disappear from the list.

Workaround: Sort by guild member name to ensure that the full guild roster appears as intended.
====================
        The loading screen that prompts "Press spacebar to continue" will not function properly if the command for "jump" has been remapped to another key in player preferences.

Workaround:
If the "jump" command is not bound, players will need to exit the game using Alt+F4 or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete to pull up the Task Manager. Upon returning to the game, players will need to bind the jump key. Players should use the remapped key to progress when at the loading screen.

Some pre-assigned guilds may notice that guild names appear to be misspelled or incorrect when players log on to their designated server. Players should not disband their guilds for this concern, as every new member that logs in will recreate the incorrect guild.
==========================
        Players on Taris may experience significant performance degradation or game client crashes under some circumstances.

Workaround:
Players can press “L” to bring up tracked missions. Selecting “Untrack” for each Taris mission and then closing the window should increase performance.
===============
        Player groups are not currently able to have more than one active Flashpoint. If your group has recently entered a Flashpoint and attempts to enter a different Flashpoint, players will see a message prompt. The message will incorrectly state that you cannot enter because of a different difficulty selection, but it is actually because the first Flashpoint is still active.

Workaround: The group leader must right click on his or her portrait and select reset all active Flashpoints from the context menu. Then you should be able to enter. Note that you can only reset Flashpoints once every 5 minutes. If the party leader recently reset, players will need to wait for the timer or leave the group and create it again using a different leader before resetting the active Flashpoint from the context menu.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 20, 2011, 04:10:37 AM

*These includes precise map locations, along with screenshot-illustrated walkthroughs on how to reach them. Definitely something to bookmark if you wanna catch up on your Datachrons.  icon_smile

I had no idea these existed even though I must have run right past one last night.

You realize I'm going to have to go all Pokemon on these now, right?

Thanks for the info.   thumbsup
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on December 20, 2011, 06:28:54 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 20, 2011, 04:10:37 AM

*These includes precise map locations, along with screenshot-illustrated walkthroughs on how to reach them. Definitely something to bookmark if you wanna catch up on your Datachrons.  icon_smile

I had no idea these existed even though I must have run right past one last night.

You realize I'm going to have to go all Pokemon on these now, right?

Thanks for the info.   thumbsup

Normally I would be all over these, but after spending 30+ minutes using very imprecise jumping controls to get a +2 presence on my trooper, I was a bit less enthused.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »

I've hit all the datacrons on every starter planet and at most I had a single jump...there's almost always an alternative route to get to the datacron that is much easier than the "obvious" route.

Don't know about the later planets though so take that with a grain of salt smile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »

Quote from: ericb on December 20, 2011, 06:43:58 PM

I've hit all the datacrons on every starter planet and at most I had a single jump...there's almost always an alternative route to get to the datacron that is much easier than the "obvious" route.

Don't know about the later planets though so take that with a grain of salt smile

Yeah, you will change your tune if you try to get some of the ones on Coruscant. smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »

There was one in Coruscant that was unbelievably easy to find in beta (in an outdoor area at the end of a flight of stairs, no Super Mario required) but I don't recall seeing it in early access.

Saw this useful "compendium" about Smuggler cover fire at the forums:

Cover: The Compendium of Knowledgeses
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=4749
* Some terms in it are out of date, like a reference to the Smuggler's "Sniper" tree (now called Sharpshooter I believe).

I have a skill called Hunker Down that I keep forgetting I have. It drops these two hovering metal pods and an additional protective force screen (between the pods) in front of me. I think it's supposed to protect you from stuns, etc.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »

Big news for players down under! But you'll have to be patient, and they will investigate ways to enable server transfer for those that imported the game to play now.

Official launch in Australia/New Zealand (Spring 2012)
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=574005#edit574005
We can confirm that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be launching in Australia and New Zealand in the spring of 2012.

Right now we are targeting March 1st, but that could change as our number one priority is making sure that customers have a great service to play on.

For those of you who may have already imported the game, we will be investigating solutions to allow you to continue to play on a local server once they come online in March.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »

Using Your Xbox Gamepad For Space Combat
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19814-using-your-xbox-gamepad-for-space-combat
With the game now officially out, fans of Star Wars: The Old Republic will likely experience space combat for the first time. Some, if not most, will notice that there is currently no support for a gamepad natively through the client of the game. Luckily, Darth Hater has an answer to that very issue. Using JoyToKey along with the help of a tutorial on Instructables, we were able to create a configuration file that will allow players to use their Xbox 360 gamepad in Space Combat. To assist users in the setup process, we made a quick video along with a small text guide.
Given the 'on-rails' limitations, I found mouse/keys just fine for SWTOR's space combat.

However, since my mom did get me a wireless XBox360 controller for Windows, this seems like something I should check out when time permits!  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »

A fix is rolling out for a Taris bug (a memory leak I think that was causing folks to get "stuck"):
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=577508#edit577508
I wanted to let you know that we're rolling out a fix for the issues seen on Taris, and this should be deployed overnight tonight (December 20).

Thanks for your patience while we dealt with this issue.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 01:42:42 PM »

Aaand the Taris bug fix is out along with a mission reward acceptance fix:
http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.0.0d/12202011
Patch Notes 12/20/2011
General
    Corrected an issue that could cause degraded performance or client crashes for some players on Taris.
    Fixed a bug that could prevent players from accepting pending mission rewards.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:31 PM »

How about...

The Old Republic Times Square Flash Mob (YouTube video)
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/The_Old_Republic_Times_Square_Flash_Mob_142571.asp

'Star Wars' religion rises in Czech Republic
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/20/star-wars-religion-rises-in-czech-republic/?iref=allsearch
*So when you see a Jedi resting to recuperate in SWTOR, who knows? They might really be praying.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: