http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:15:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you favor as the Gaming Trend STO (open beta) Fleet name?
Gaming Trend Peacebringers
Gaming Trend Mass Tonnage
Gaming Trend Space Debris
Gaming Trend's Motley Crew
Gaming Trend PewPews
Something Else (post your suggestion in the STO thread)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek Online (Cryptic's "other" new MMO)  (Read 96265 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: December 01, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »

The Duty Officer system finally goes live in today's mega update, along with the revamped space skills system. Although the F2P switch isn't until Jan. 17, this update's a big step towards that including the conversion of subscribers to "Gold Members" etc.

Patch Notes
http://startrekonline.com/node/2699
This is too long to reasonably paste here. I tried and it far exceeds our maximum character capacity for a message.

One fundamental change is the ability to warp directly to a mission start, with no sector travel at all. I guess maybe they gave up on the idea of making space sector travel more "space like" and figured "well, what the hell, pay some energy credits and just skip all that crap and warp to your mission."  icon_smile

The duty officer system and space combat changes most interested me, so here's those, along with some other things. I'm not even gonna try to wrap my brain around the dilithium stuff folks have been arguing about:

Duty Officer System
The Duty Officer and Assignment system has been added to the game! This system is an optional mini-game themed around the logistics of managing the full crew complement of your ship that opens up when you reach the rank of Lieutenant 8.

* Upon first initiating the system, characters will be granted a number of starting duty officers to staff their ship. Additional duty officers of various qualities, rarities, specializations and species may be gained by means of certain assignments as well as via purchase of random packs of duty officers on the C-Store.
   * The HUD has been updated to add a button allowing access to the duty officer system from any sector map, the interior of your ship or an ally’s, and most social maps.
    * Every character has two active rosters, one for space and one for ground. Duty officers may be slotted into both of these to grant you various conditional and passive effects.
    * Duty officers may also be sent on assignments granting a wide array of rewards including skill points, bridge officer points, energy credits, Dilithium, commodities, additional duty officers, bridge officers, items, and commendation experience.
    * Assignments require a certain amount of time to elapse ranging from fifteen minutes to seven days.
    * Time continues to count down even when a player is not logged into the game.
    * Commendation experience allows a character to advance independently in twelve different categories; one of these, Diplomacy, co-opts the existing Diplomacy system by allowing characters to gain DXP via the assignment system in addition to existing methods. Another, Marauding, is only available to Klingons.
     *   Each commendation category has four tiers of advancement.
      *  Advancing in a commendation category opens up new assignments and offers special rewards.
While it has a couple basic concepts in common with SWTOR's crew stuff, it's vastly different in terms of amount of time, and it seems quite a bit more varied. Whether that's good or bad, I can't say, haven't tested it. I don't think DO's can craft for you, though maybe they can find materials you can use in crafting.

The 12 Duty Officer categories are:
    Diplomacy (Federation)
    Marauding (Klingon)
    Science
    Engineering
    Medical
    Military
    Espionage
    Colonial
    Trade
    Exploration
    Development
    Recruiting

More info on this forum FAQ page: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=220296&highlight=duty+officer

Space Skills revamp
An all New Space Skill System has been implemented! Due to this all characters skill points have been refunded. All characters will be prompted to spend their skill points after entering any map, until they spend their skill points.

The skill point cap has been raised by 50 points.
   All Space Skills have been changed.
        The effects of all space skills are more transparent.
        Most simply improve a function type directly.
        Such as improving all healing or all control powers.
        Alternately, the skill may simply grant a direct bonus.
    Training/Command skill branch is gone.
        No more ship captain skills.
        There are just flat ship bonuses that apply to any ship you fly.
        This is designed to let you swap ships painlessly.
    The space weapon skill branch no longer has energy/torpedo type skills.
        This is designed to let you swap weapons painlessly.
    There are a lot fewer skills now. As such, the cost has increased by 50%.
    All space powers and abilities have been adjusted to utilize the new skills.
    All Items that affected skills have been updated.
        This significantly impacted Science Consoles and Deflector Dish Items. They have all been adjusted to utilize the new skills.
    Ground skills, powers, and items remain unchanged for now, except for having their costs updated.

Event Calendar
Starfleet/Klingon Academy Event

Federation contact: Professor Meyer
    Klingon contact: Commander B’Tama
    Hail event contact or speak to him in person at the Academy while this event is in progress to participate.
        Help Academy Cadets gather Particle Fragments and participate in holographic combat exercises.
        Save up Particle Fragments and return them to your cadet or event contact for Dilithium Rewards.
        Particle Fragments will not last for long after the event has ended, turn them in before they disappear.

Tour the Universe
    Come test your ship and crew with a race across Sector Space for Duty Officer XP and energy credits.
        Players will be tasked with traveling to every sector block and returning to your mission giver before the end of the event.
        Starfleet Players: Talk to Jay Yim in Earth Space Dock. Captain Yim can be found on the balcony in Club 47.
        KDF Players: Speak with Targak in Qo’noS. Targak can be found at the Blood Wine fountain in Qo’noS.

Multiphasic Event
    All anomalies throughout the universe will give a bonus on how many are dropped during this event.

Borg Invasion
    The Borg are taking advantage of all the new releases happening and a distracted player base to launch a full scale invasion of the planet Defera!
    The Defera Invasion zone can be accessed from either the Defera Visitors Center or Defera System in the Deferi Sector of the Orellius Sector Block.
        This area will always be available for players to visit, but will only have missions available when the event is active.
        In the off hours, players will have access to crafting vendors and a chance to explore most areas of the invasion zone without fear of being assimilated.
    Combat throughout the Invasion zone takes place at RA/BG level.
        Characters not yet at that rank will be bolstered up, much like the Borg Red Alerts.
    There are four different areas of conflict on the map, each with its own range of difficulties, varying from solo play to requiring a 5 member team to succeed.
        City
        Power Plant
        Temple
        Probe
    Each difficulty level is unlocked by completing the lower level difficulty first.
        Must complete one Easy mission to unlock Medium, and one Medium to unlock Hard.
    The main Borg boss battle is unlocked by completing at least one mission on Hard difficulty.
    Mission objectives are wiped between event runs.
        If you don’t complete it on the first run through, it will reset when the next one starts.
    Special items have been created for this event: world drops, mission rewards, and craftable items.
        These items are designed to help fight against the Borg.

Lore Event
    Doing Lore missions during this event will grant players more data chips.

Crystalline Entity Fleet Action
    Public Fleet Action is now an Event, only available certain times of the day.
    Private Fleet Action has not changed, they can be created as often as players wish.

Crafting Event
    Memory Alpha and Qo’noS crafting stores give a 20% reduction in their cost of unreplicateable materials while the event is running.

Foundry Event
    Players will get additional rewards for playing Foundry missions during this event.

Mission Journal Revamp
The Mission Journal has been given an overhaul! You can still access it via the “J” key or faction logo on the lower left corner of your minimap.

Across the very top, you’ll see an alert when you have actions that can be taken with a mission (for example, a mission is complete and ready to turn in)
    Below that, from left to right, you’ll find: EPISODES; PvE; PvP

Episodes
    The Hail button will allow you to remotely contact the person offering the mission.
    The More button will show you the list of upcoming episodes. You can also replay missions through this list of episodes.
    You can look at each faction hub separately to see all of the missions that are coming.

PvE
    Clicking the Volunteer button will open the PvE Queue. Here you can find Fleet Actions and select STFs.

PvP
    Clicking the Attack button will open the PvP Queue. Here you can queue up to go head to head with other players.
        Along the bottom, you’ll see a filmstrip of upcoming events for the day. Clicking an event will tell you more about it, including how to participate in it.
            You can also click the Calendar button to see what’s on tap!

Automatic Sector Travel
    All missions now have a “warp to” button in the mission journal.
    This button allows players to warp directly to the starting location for that mission.
    Players must be on that mission to use the button
    Players that choose to use the warp button will be charged Energy Credits based on the mission starting location.

Episode Flow
One major change for existing players is episode availability. Like a TV series, all episodes have been serialized, requiring you to play them in order.

Each episode requires a specific player level and that the previous episode on the list has been completed. Assuming you’ve played the previous episode, the next episode will be available as long as you meet the minimum level requirement.
    Missions are now skippable, however you must skip them in order.
    The minimum level requirement has been added to the episode list.
    Each episode has been changed to scale to your level, so you can’t out-level it.
        You will be rewarded based on whatever level you are when you complete the mission.
        NPCs will also scale to player-level, rather than be locked at an episode level.
        This means you can do events, PvE, PvP and other repeatable content as much as you like and then do episodes at your leisure without worrying whether or not they’re still level appropriate.
        All Fed-side mission rewards now offer scaled rewards of their type.
        Any reward item that was previously offered at a specific Mk will now offer the same items at a Mk appropriate to the player's level.
        Except for unique one-off items such as Paratrinic Shields or Efficient Impulse Engines.
        This is coming soon for Klingon missions.
    Skill Points and Bridge Officer Skill Point rewards from episodes have been increased for the first half of the game.
        This means you’ll rank up faster and be able to get into your first new ship much sooner than was previously possible.
        This boost does slow down as you raise in rank.

Mission Updates
    Updated the rewards for the first 12 levels of missions for Feds to give players a full suite of uncommon Mk II gear and specifically-created bridge officers by the time they reach level 10.
        On replay, these missions will give a piece of level-appropriate uncommon gear.
    Also revamped Klingon mission flow:
        Updated flow for PvE killing fields, star clusters, PvP arenas, PvP scenarios.
            They all have a single contact.
            They all have a single intro mission and subsequent repeatable missions, no longer dailies, that are all player leveled.
        Killing fields now scale to player level and give out an appropriate amount of dilithium ore.
        Tour of Qo’noS is no longer a gating factor for any mission.
        Tour of Qo’noS is now set to level 21.
        PvP missions now require three playthroughs at all levels.
        Bringing Down the House has mission in Qo’noS to help guide the player to the gate out of town.
        Updated the federation-side PvP missions to match Klingon ones numbers-wise.
I think given all the revamping, it would be more fun to try the game now with a new character from the start rather than a higher level character where you have to figure out where to re-dole out all your skill points in the revamped space skills system, understand the duty officer system, etc. It'd probably be easier to start from the beginning, gradually understand how things have changed, and figure out the new stuff over time.

The events are not really going to fix the "content dearth" folks consistently complain about. At least not until they get the Foundry more reliable (and this mega update and the whole F2P switch affect everything on The Foundry and everything created in the past with it, afik), get the F2P out the door in January and start delivering Featured Episode content at the rate initially envisioned, imho.

A ground combat skills revamp is also planned. While the "Ground Combat 2.0" added an optional crosshairs system, improved combat animations and how some skills worked, it didn't fundamentally change the ground combat skills system.

I'm lifetime, so I certainly might check it out and give some impressions, maybe this weekend. I certainly wouldn't start subscribing to it 6 weeks from the F2P switch. So let me and some other lifetime folks be the guinea pigs, if it interests anybody.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:07:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2001 on: December 01, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »

I'm glad to hear that they're condensing the skill trees of all space related things. It was WAY too confusing and WAY too easy to put points into places where they'd be practically wasted.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: December 02, 2011, 04:55:53 AM »

It looks like the update is 1.7GB, although I hadn't even logged in, in months. It's downloading surprisingly fast so I might be able to at least dabble a bit tonight.

The launcher indicates they'll take the servers down again, 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Pacific Time for another update. I don't think you can do an update this comprehensive without something awry so I guess they're doing some fixes/adjustments Friday.

I certainly expect to be enveloped in SWTOR from mid-December onwards. But now's about a maybe two week window I can give this a try again from the start (with a new character) to see how things are.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:58:26 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 02, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »

Hey, some great personnel news (at least if you credit Daniel Stahl with at least getting STO closer to what it could've been after its borked launch) -- Daniel Stahl already quit Zynga and returned to Cryptic in a different role more focused on The Foundry...

Daniel Stahl returns to Cryptic
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3884315#post3884315
As the snoops have deduced, yes I am back at Cryptic Studios! My time at Zynga was fun and interesting, but I really missed working with my colleagues here. There is something magical going on at Cryptic these days and I'm very happy to be back working on the MMOs that I personally love to play. Being a part of Perfect World is having such a great positive impact on this company.

After talking with Jack about returning, I accepted a position as a Sr. Producer managing the Foundry (UGC) tools at Cryptic Studios. I've always been passionate about User Generated Content and Community Developer involvement. Whether it was community deckbuilding software at Wizards of the Coast, the Xbox Community Developer Program at Microsoft, or more recently, the Foundry on STO, I've been a strong believer that if you build the right tools, game developers can partner with the community to build amazing content and applications.

That is why I'm excited to be back at Cryptic working directly with the highly talented UGC team to begin working on future updates for the Foundry, especially with the development of Neverwinter which has its own deep history of User Developed Content.

Today is a great day to be back at Cryptic. Season 5 is here! Stephen D'Angelo has been doing an awesome job as EP on STO [this is obviously not everyone's viewpoint, fwiw-bj]. He's been able to rally the team to deliver on the many tasks needed for Season 5 to prepare the game for F2P. He and the STO team have been working from a solid plan and everything is on track for an awesome F2P launch. For those who have been asking, I'm in full support of the changes that have been made in Season 5 as they will contribute to the continued success of STO into the future as it brings in a whole new host of players.

So big hugs to everyone in STO land. I'm happy to be back and looking forward to contributing to the future of the Foundry.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: December 02, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »

Bring the Foundry to Champions Online, dang it! I want it there!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 07, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 02, 2011, 05:58:19 PM

Bring the Foundry to Champions Online, dang it! I want it there!
For better or worse, Perfect World seems more interested in nickel and diming players on stuff other than content. So I don't know whether CO's Adventure Packs are necessarily in line with PWE's overall thinking (i.e., if PWE isn't keen on charging for adventure packs, then bringing the Foundry there -- maybe charging for Foundry 'creation slots' but not to play those creations per se -- seems like it might appeal to them). So to me, bringing the Foundry there could theoretically happen but I've read nothing about a switch like that to this point. The Foundry seems more focused on STO and the Neverwinter Nights game.

I thought Mission Creator would "save" City of Heroes for me, but ultimately it was combing through 90% dirt to find 10% gems. STO's Foundry has a similar problem although imho the Star Trek lore does seem to inspire people to be more ambitious with their creations and storytelling.

As for returning to STO, I did start a new character and get it to about one or two levels shy of when duty officers become available. Hopefully I can get there soon.

The redesigned mission journal definitely makes it easier to sort out what you have available to do, and what level you ideally should do something. While ground combat feels a bit more spry and better animated (via the 2.0 revision, etc.), I still feel like the only way they'd ever truly make it great is to completely tear the ground combat apart and start over, which realistically, isn't going to happen, though a ground combat skills revamp is apparently on the horizon. I suspect that revamp is more just to make it more clear what specific ground combat skills do.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:29:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: January 06, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »

Blackjack is a slackjack:

Early Access for F2P

We are pleased to announce that the doors are opening a little early for Star Trek Online free-to-play for a limited set of people.

Starting tomorrow (Thursday, January 5th), anyone with a lapsed subscription to Star Trek Online will be able to log into the game and play as a Silver member. This means that any account that has in the past subscribed to the game, even if only for the initial month, can come back and play for free!

For those of you not familiar with the difference between Gold (subscriber) and Silver (non-subscriber) membership, you can refer to the features matrix. The most important fact is that previous subscribers can jump right in and play their existing characters with no extra steps and no loss of anything they previously gained for their characters.

Early access is our way of thanking the many loyal customers who sat in the Captain’s chair during the past two years. Free-to-play opens for the general public in less than two weeks, on 17-01 (January 17th).
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: January 17, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »

Free to play starts today. Captains, warm up your engines...
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »

worth checking out?  whats required to sign up?  anyone know and / or interested?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 17, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on January 17, 2012, 11:40:14 PM

worth checking out?  whats required to sign up?  anyone know and / or interested?

I played quite a bit when it came out.  Ship combat is IMO really great.  Plus I loved the whole bridge officer concept.  Ground combat was so-so, they've updated it since I was last on, so it may or may not be better now.  If you like Star Trek, I definitely think it's worth checking out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2010 on: January 18, 2012, 01:46:44 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on January 17, 2012, 11:40:14 PM

IMHO, the devs are really giving away the farm to try this one out. You can hit max level, try out all of the classes, spec yourself however you want, do lots of ship and ground combat, and even use the Foundry without spending a single dime.

Frankly, I don't see a reason to actually subscribe they're giving away SO much for free.

Definitely worth checking out if you have the time and like Star Trek. All you need to sign up is an e-mail address and some bandwith to try it out.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: January 18, 2012, 02:37:41 AM »

okay you twisted my arm - downloaded and installed but havent made an account yet.  when i do jump ingame (maybe as soon as tonight?) is there a server i should jump on?  being new to mmos, am i "stuck" on a server once i pick it or can my character go on any one at any time?  and if i am stuck, is anyone who is playing or going to be playing again already on one that i should pick?  thanks for saving me from ploughing through 50+ pages of thread!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2012 on: January 18, 2012, 02:50:23 AM »

The neat thing with STO (and their other game, Champions Online), is that there are no servers. And since they use a charactername@accountname chat system, that means you can use whatever name you want, too. Nothing is taken.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: January 18, 2012, 04:33:30 AM »

I'll probably give this a shot this weekend... will download client before then
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: January 18, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »

wow seems REALLY fun!  i like the action bits of ship to ship and phaser combat / exploring.  ive been playing another mmo recently (my first!) and it seems very tedious at times but i think this one might be a bit more interesting.  however, the stuff i usually love (looting, upgrading, and stats) seem VERY dense.  im guessing its because all the numbers are different from normal RPG fare - its not armor class or speed its things like power, energy flow etc - so im hoping i pick up on it as right now im lost when it comes to upgrading.  but the actual mechanics seem like theyre a lot of fun.  looking forward to checking this out over the next few days.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: January 18, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »

I might re-install this and give it a try again. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: January 18, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »

I played this while it was in beta.  The ship aspect of it was fun but the away missions were fairly weak.  I was already getting a bit bored with it by the time beta was over so I knew I didnt want to pay a monthly sub for it.  It wasnt a bad game, it just seemed limited at release.  I may reload it now though and give it another shot.   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2017 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »

They've made the ground combat a lot faster and more exciting, but it's still the weakest part of the game, IMHO. But it's a lot better than it used to be.

I love the ship combat though. It has a very tactical feel to it, and you always want to think three steps ahead of your opponents.

That said - you just have to ignore the fact that you personally destroy more ships by the time you hit level 5 or so than you see explode during every single TV show, movie, and comic combined. biggrin

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: January 18, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 18, 2012, 04:35:05 PM

I might re-install this and give it a try again.  

Good. Change the guild message while you are at it Mr. "Leader".  slywink
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: January 18, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »

Just started a Fed character, leveled her up to lvl 2 after the first couple missions. Fun, but not that deep yet... probably because I am lvl 2...
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »

Oh, and anyone want to post guild info in case I decide to stick with it?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: January 22, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »

I'm still enjoying this a few days in... lvl 6 now... finally figuring out all the trading elements, commodities, traveling, etc
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: January 23, 2012, 02:50:41 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 18, 2012, 10:01:35 PM

The first post in this link shows the people by server and the very first server shows the GT guild name and who is in it:
http://gamingtrend.com/forums/massive-multiplayer-madness/star-wars-the-old-republic-(gt-forum-member-characters)/

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: January 23, 2012, 02:57:35 AM »

Quote from: raydude on January 23, 2012, 02:50:41 AM

The first post in this link shows the people by server and the very first server shows the GT guild name and who is in it:
http://gamingtrend.com/forums/massive-multiplayer-madness/star-wars-the-old-republic-(gt-forum-member-characters)/

Wrong "Star" thing slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: January 23, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 23, 2012, 02:57:35 AM

Quote from: raydude on January 23, 2012, 02:50:41 AM

Wrong "Star" thing slywink

Holy brain fart batman! I forget what the hell our fleet name was, but if they kept my character all this time she would still be in it. So, maybe I can send you an invite when I log in. I can certainly try. What's your character name?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: January 30, 2012, 06:38:05 AM »

I've started playing this again too and I think I'm going to take a break from SWTOR to let it settle and mature a few more months.  There are so many things I like in STO that really feel like Star Trek...while SWTOR feels like WoW with spaceship travel in between.  I know a lot of changes are coming and I have every intention of going back but right now it's simply not worth the $15...I got my money's worth for now and I think a lot of changes will be coming over the next 2-3 months.

As for STO...this game screams out for a new player guide.  They fixed and optimized so many things from 6-9 months ago but it's still got so many different options.  New ground combat is much better, tutorials still suck, performance is great and just about everything is free so why not smile  I'm still trying to figure things out again and started over since I've basically forgotten everything from the first 2-3 months I played.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: February 02, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »

For me, Featured Episodes was the best part of the game and it's what many folks here missed out on (they'd already gotten disgusted with the game's post launch state and moved on). I preferred some of the early FEs. The last one I found too confusing, and there's one that almost makes the game more like Volition's Descent, which of course induced my well documented nausea issues.

Seek out the one with the glorious use of some very familiar TOS TV music during some ground combat. A real high point.  icon_smile

I think it's actually wise to just start a new character and try to enjoy the game as a nub. Way tooo much has changed, including addition of the Duty Officer system, revamping of most space combat skills etc., Ground combat 2.0, crafting, how the mission log works (it's far more useful now in terms of directing you to appropriate content, but takes some getting used to). You're better off just trying to learn the game from scratch, than trying to remember how it played in 2009, imho.

Ground Combat 2.0 in the end really didn't do anything for me so when I've re-visited, I haven't stuck around.

The Foundry (mission creator) brought so many technical and server problems, I still don't think it ever came close to reaching its potential in helping the game. They seem finally to be working out most off those issues, so maybe at some point it will really will add enough volume of quality user-created content to make a real impact.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: February 02, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »

2 year anniversary starts today. Level 5 and up gets a free Starship (need to be 50 to use).

Get your new Odyssey

or
Bortas
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: May 05, 2012, 02:52:17 AM »

I've been rewatching my favorite Star Trek series (DS9) for a month or so, and have decided to give this a try. (Downloading tonight will try to play some this weekend.) Anyone still playing this?  Is it solo friendly?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: May 06, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »

jcc i started the game for the first time when it went free to play and had a ton of fun with it.  its one i still want to keep going back to but ive been playing a marathon of older pc games i "missed" (new again to pc gaming after a long console hiatus).  its a lot of fun, and if you do want to play with someone give me a pm as that would be a good excuse for me to jump on some night!

also, yes it is very solo friendly - in fact at the "higher" difficulty levels its too solo friendly (or maybe it just needs a dedicated team) as i found if i did a mission with a partner on the second level (where ships sustain injuries) the game would toss in an extra ship that would just destroy us.  other than that when i did story missions i did them solo and had a lot of fun - theres a neat story that plays into the game.

and if you do jump into the group stuff (certain "fleet actions" and responding to borg incursions by clicking on the "red alert" that will flash on the bottom of the screen) it seemed pretty casual.  sure for the first few youll get destroyed, and you may never win them at early levels, but youll get a chance to see what its like to have other pcs and get some decent exp.  plus its a lot of fun when you DO start to make headway, and instead of being the little guy who marvels at the nasty ships that would come in and clean up spheres like nothing, youre that guy!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: May 06, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »

Played it for a while and was having fun. I too might get back to it once I reduce the backlog a bit.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 21, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

Anyone playing this anymore?  I was looking forward to playing this when it launched but the lackluster reviews kept me away.  I recently saw one of my Steam buddies playing this and decided to give it a try.  Wow, I guess they really made some improvements because this game is pretty fun!  So, was looking to see if any of you guys were willing to give this a second or third chance (or however many chances smile) before Neverwinter sucks all the gaming time away next week.  Tongue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2032 on: April 22, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »

STO is a lot of fun, IMHO. The main issue is that there's little reason to stay a subscriber once you've been one for a month, assuming you level a character to max level in that time. It really doesn't give you anything as a benefit past that point.

Also, it's getting a HUGE update with the Romulan faction in a week or three.

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: April 22, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »

Yeah, it has been a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it a lot.  The Star Trek geek in me is overloaded with all the cool stuff in the game.  Speaking of which, is there some sort of website that explains the mechanics of the game?  The Star Trek Online wiki is pretty good, but some of the info there is outdated.  I'm trying to figure out what the optimal configurations are for my character.  I started off as a Science officer, but I decided to switch over to an Engineer since I like the abilities they have.  The game is pretty overwhelming so any help or info would be greatly appreciated!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2034 on: April 23, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »

AFAIK, the STO Wiki is the only place to really turn to (short of asking on the forums or other players) for learning how the systems fully work, as sadly the ingame tooltips don't help very much at all.

Some of the things are quite...complicated, to put it simply. Although I thought the Wiki linked above explained things decently well.

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: June 20, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »

Anyone playing the Legacy of Romulus expansion for STO?  Made a Romulan Tactical officer and it's been a lot of fun.  I'm really glad that I waited until just recently to start playing this game because in this current state, the game is pretty good.   thumbsup
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: June 21, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »

I should try to get back into it some day. This was just one of those mmorpgs where if I tried to revisit characters after a long time away, I'd stare at all the hotkeys and everything, and wonder "how the heck did I ever play this?"  icon_smile Glad you're enjoying it.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: