http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 10:42:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you favor as the Gaming Trend STO (open beta) Fleet name?
Gaming Trend Peacebringers
Gaming Trend Mass Tonnage
Gaming Trend Space Debris
Gaming Trend's Motley Crew
Gaming Trend PewPews
Something Else (post your suggestion in the STO thread)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek Online (Cryptic's "other" new MMO)  (Read 97055 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »

Im still in for this. I still wish we didn't have to do both ground and space combat in one mission. They really better work on varying the missions up. But still sounds like fun. Im not really sure they should be going to the normal class types in a space Trek game. i mean a healing ship? A tank? And then a DPSr? I'd mucg prefer the Starfleet Command type stuff where a ship is a ship and not a doctor or a buffer.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »

Yeah, the whole 'three 'classes'' thing is kinda worrisome, but you still have to have the core MMO ingredients for when you go group up. Otherwise you'll end up like Champions Online, where every character can do almost everything and grouping isn't needed for 98% of the game.

And Open Beta dates have been announced:

We're all very happy to be able to let you know that Star Trek Online will be in Open Beta from January 12 - January 26, 2010. Keys will be given out on a first come, first served basis, and can be acquired right here on startrekonline.com. We know you've all been eagerly anticipating your chance to experience the Star Trek Universe in a way that only Star Trek Online will allow, and we can't wait for you all to beam aboard this great adventure in January!

Where the heck is my guaranteed Closed Beta access?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »

That certainly is starting to look interesting, but I wonder where the actual game is.  I just don't yet have a good feel for the game mechanics themselves.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »

The 3 classes of ships are not really that out of line with real ship classes that must also get mutated with aircraft classes.

Support ships would be heavily powered but for jamming/ECM/ESM and perhaps a bit of combat control thrown in (like AWACS).  They would sacrifice weapons space for extra power and for the ESM/ECM gear and antennas.

The fast (DPS) ships would be like cruisers and destroyers.  Faster and more maneuverable but at the expense of armor and probably heavier power generators.

Capitol ships would be slower but have a lot of armor/shields requiring the heavier power generators....unfortunately most capitol ships would also have more firepower than the cruisers/destroyers so that would be one area where the translation falls apart.  The Star Trek universe was more about a single ship doing every role so it is a bit of a stretch.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2009, 07:36:23 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on November 20, 2009, 06:36:36 PM

The Star Trek universe was more about a single ship doing every role so it is a bit of a stretch.

it actually still is - every ship just have the option of doing the role it has decided. Some are just more capable of certain roles than others...

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 20, 2009, 05:18:36 PM

Yeah, the whole 'three 'classes'' thing is kinda worrisome, but you still have to have the core MMO ingredients for when you go group up. Otherwise you'll end up like Champions Online, where every character can do almost everything and grouping isn't needed for 98% of the game.

We're all very happy to be able to let you know that Star Trek Online will be in Open Beta from January 12 - January 26, 2010. Keys will be given out on a first come, first served basis, and can be acquired right here on startrekonline.com. We know you've all been eagerly anticipating your chance to experience the Star Trek Universe in a way that only Star Trek Online will allow, and we can't wait for you all to beam aboard this great adventure in January!

You'll probably get it Jan. 11, and that way they know you can't sue them for False Advertising.  smirk

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on November 20, 2009, 05:32:38 PM

That certainly is starting to look interesting, but I wonder where the actual game is.  I just don't yet have a good feel for the game mechanics themselves.

Really, can someone explain the hook of this game?  I get WoW, WAR, EVE, etc., but I'm not fully comprehending this one - where's the long-term potential?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 20, 2009, 08:57:22 PM

Quote from: Destructor on November 20, 2009, 05:18:36 PM

You'll probably get it Jan. 11, and that way they know you can't sue them for False Advertising.  smirk
Yep, colour me a sucker for believing my 6 month sub to CO would get me into the beta at an early date. What a joke.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on November 20, 2009, 09:12:42 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on November 20, 2009, 05:32:38 PM

That certainly is starting to look interesting, but I wonder where the actual game is.  I just don't yet have a good feel for the game mechanics themselves.

Really, can someone explain the hook of this game?  I get WoW, WAR, EVE, etc., but I'm not fully comprehending this one - where's the long-term potential?
Ship-to-ship combat sounds to me more like maybe Freelancer or something (I've not played Eve and can't speak to similarities there). I see no real comparisons with WoW, War, LOTRO, etc. on that side of things although the ground-based combat is sometimes compared to more typical mmorpgs.

While it uses the same basic engine as Champions Online, I don't get the impression it plays much like it on the ship side; but the ground combat side may have similar pacing, for better or worse.

You can get an idea of gameplay from some hands-on journalists got to do at Gamescom and other shows. Here's one:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-trek-online-eg-expo-hands-on
There's a brief opportunity for the player to get used to ship controls while orbiting a planet in peace. WASD take care of the starship's ponderous pitch and yaw, while Q and E, or an on-screen slider, handle the engines' throttle. It's gracefully, glacially slow, as it should be - Star Trek's craft are battleships, not fighter planes.

Space combat isn't EVE Online - although your weapons do lock on, they have limited fire arcs, and there are no autopilot options. The focus is on physically manoeuvring your ship to keep your enemies within optimum firing range while manually firing weapons and keeping an eye on power balance.

There are only three weapon systems: forward phaser, rear phaser, and a forward-facing photon torpedo. They're fired using 1, 2 and 3 or the on-screen buttons, with the space bar firing all simultaneously. The phasers have wide, overlapping firing arcs ensuring 360-degree coverage, while the more powerful torpedoes have only a narrow range. Although these Klingons don't present a stiff challenge, they do circle you faster than you can turn to follow them - so guessing their attack patterns and tactically pre-empting them seems to be the order of the day.

Ground Combat
Birds of Prey dispatched, you beam down to the planet - or rather, into a series of dark red metallic corridors - with four officers to engage the Klingons up close and personal. Your AI crew members have simple commands - they can be set to defensive or aggressive stances, and commanded to select the same target as the player character. [Note: If you're teamed with other players, they take the place of AI crew, and then AI crew will fill any slot not taken up by a player-bj]

For your own part, you have two weapons to switch between, each of which provides three attack skills (on the 1, 2 and 3 keys once again). Both phaser rifle and standard-issue stun phaser have two ranged attacks and one melee, the melee handily knocking the enemy back into firing range. The phaser can either damage or stun, while the rifle has light and heavy attacks; once again, there's no resource to worry about, so combat seems mostly to be about managing your cooldowns and triggering buffs.
OK enough cut and pasting, or Eurogamer's lawyers will come after me.  icon_razz

STO's going to attract a much wider audience than Champions, me thinks, and I just hope Cryptic/Atari has its ducks in a row. They better have sufficient server capacity, and they better not expect a more general Star Trek audience (meaning perhaps lot of players with little/no MMORPG experience) to have the same patience for typical MMORPG launch troubles/foibles, imho.

WoW had no appeal for me, but I did notice it had this magical ability to draw in friends of mine (military shooter fans, strategy game fanatics) who never, ever, had any interest in mmorpgs before, but became WoW addicts overnight. I knew guys who told me repeatedly they'd never be "caught dead playing a monthly-fee game," and BOOM, they were doing it.

To me that's sort of the Holy Grail, the "lightning in a bottle," that all mmorpgs want to achieve, but it so far has seemed strangely unrepeatable on a mass scale. To me that's probably something STO and SWTOR hope to achieve, but will they?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:50:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »

Well whatever ship Im in I plan to fight. Ill be outfitting the insides with stuff to fight. I better not hear a single asshat bitch at me for not healing when Im using a healing ship smile

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:19 PM »

The natives are already getting restless over in the bot-torn world of Aion.
I predict a MASS EXODUS from that game when this game hits prime time.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:11 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 20, 2009, 10:45:19 PM

I predict a mass exodus from... Champions Online. Wouldn't that make everyone at Cryptic slap their heads collectively and go, "DOH!"  icon_lol

Playing
PC
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »

So I finally got a chance to play (thanks to my brother and his beta access that he almost NEVER uses).

I'm not allowed to talk about it, correct?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2009, 11:44:14 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 20, 2009, 11:11:11 PM

I predict a mass exodus from... Champions Online. Wouldn't that make everyone at Cryptic slap their heads collectively and go, "DOH!"  icon_lol

My 6 month ends...well, right about when STO comes out. I know I'll be switching MMOs.

And Lockdown, you can talk about it all you want - you're just not allowed to as you're violating the NDA. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2009, 01:24:09 AM »

There are only three weapon systems: forward phaser, rear phaser, and a forward-facing photon torpedo. They're fired using 1, 2 and 3 or the on-screen buttons, with the space bar firing all simultaneously. The phasers have wide, overlapping firing arcs ensuring 360-degree coverage, while the more powerful torpedoes have only a narrow range. Although these Klingons don't present a stiff challenge, they do circle you faster than you can turn to follow them - so guessing their attack patterns and tactically pre-empting them seems to be the order of the day.

I wonder how Federation ships using the Thach Weave would do against these faster turning klingons? Pretty good I'll bet.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2009, 01:28:11 AM »

Lockdown used his brother's access. he himself is under no NDA smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2009, 03:25:22 AM »

Massively pointed out some official gameplay footage that debuted at IGN:
http://www.massively.com/2009/11/19/new-star-trek-online-video-shows-tactical-combat-ui/
I think CeeKay pointed that trailer out earlier, though Massively's post is maybe worth reading too. They also pointed out a sister site's HD version of the video, for download (about 187MB):
http://www.bigdownload.com/games/star-trek-online/pc/star-trek-online-starship-tactics-developer-video-part-1-hd/

http://www.massively.com/2009/11/20/star-trek-online-ship-tactics-part-2/
In Part 2, there's a brief part on boarding parties near the end of the video (glimpses of shuttles being launched at a craft, boarding parties short-range teleport onto the enemy target to try to take out its subsystems).

I'll wait and see. Freelancer was the last space combat type game that I truly got into, and really the only one I did any cooperative multiplayer in. Ironically, my best bud in that was a big Star Trek fanatic, and before we dropped out of touch last year, he kept expressing skepticism Star Trek Online would ever see the light of day (to be fair, I think that's when Perpetual still had the IP). Boy would he be surprised.  icon_smile

If Freelancer had been a true MMO instead of wily-nily dedicated servers that came and went like the wind (making online progress next to impossible), I might've played it forever. I know plenty of others disagree, but I've not been impressed with Champions to date (even on re-visit recently) and they'll have to really show something for me to enlist.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:40:00 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2009, 03:43:05 AM »

Though you may not have been impressed with Champions, please don't wish for its demise.  There is a place for both it and Star Trek.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2009, 04:37:30 AM »

O, that this too too solid flesh would melt
Thaw and resolve itself into a dew!
Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd
His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God! God!
How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable,
Seem to me all the uses of this world!
Fie on't! ah fie! 'tis an unweeded garden,
That grows to seed; things rank and gross in nature
Possess it merely. That it should come to this!
But two months from now: nay, not so much, not two, maybe three:
Onto STO all the Champions players shall flee!  tear

Seriously, buddy, CoX and Champions have both veered well away from what I hoped for and wanted; therefore you should know just how little sway my desires hold in the general scheme of MMORPGdom. icon_smile Companies don't care what I think or want, and they don't do the things I predict. So Champions is very safe, and I wish it no harm.  icon_smile

If Cryptic/Atari is smart, they will offer some sort of discounted "dual-subscribership" for subscribing to Champs and STO at the same time. Though again I say, when I say game companies would be smart to do something, generally they don't do it.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:48:14 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2009, 04:47:40 AM »

Since I am to screenshots, what CeeKay is to new threads (we're both prolific), I took some cropped screen captures of some of the HD video gameplay stuff. I've sort of marked them in categories...

Basic HUD Stuff

Sort of a mini "target HUD" that gives you info on something you're attacking (or that's attacking you?)

The above two are Science Vessel hotkey bars, which seem to have a lot more to play with.

Crew Recruitment

Ship Configuration

Seems like you drag and drop "console features" into those slots at lower left.

It sounds cool from listening to the videos. You recruit the type of crew members that fit your basic goals/philosophy. If you want guys that are gung-ho manning phasers and torpedoes, great, but maybe they'd be inaccurate, or they'd be prone to overheat your weapons or something.

Probably if traditional MMOers can wrap their brains around that, maybe by thinking it's just the equivalent of individual's skills in a traditional MMORPG, but handled a bit differently, then it won't seem so scary.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:51:09 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on November 21, 2009, 03:43:05 AM

Though you may not have been impressed with Champions, please don't wish for its demise.  There is a place for both it and Star Trek.

I hear what you're saying..but I disagree. There isn't room for Champions AND Star Trek. Especially when the same company is pimping both...........but showing more favour to STO.
Its the neglected street walker syndrome. Two sisters on the corner..The pimp has one checked regularly at the clinic and given nice clothes and the other is fed peanut butter sandwiches and lives in the alley.

I know which one I'm playing..... nod

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »

Champs still has its Super Secret Top WeaponTM -- Bill Roper!  paranoid

Playing
PC
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »

That doesn't quite make sense to me, with one being high fantasy and the other being space opera.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2009, 09:30:31 PM »

Gotta admit, I'm getting pretty irked over this. I bought the 6 months pre-order bonus for champs, with the intention of playing the closed beta for STO... only I've never received word one from NCSoft regarding it. And now, they're announcing open beta... ?

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=22334

Atomic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2009, 11:21:13 PM »

AFAIK, Closed Beta is barely open at all - last I heard, it's running for about 4 hours a week or something. So you're really not missing much.

But yes, I'd love to test as well.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2009, 12:46:18 AM »

Maybe I'm being nitpicky on this, but I hate how the avatars look to the upper left when they're called up. What is it with that direction? It's like they're looking at a ship in orbit or at the sun.  I wonder if it's a default that will change.

As for Beta, I'm sure most of us will have a better chance with the Open Beta.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2009, 02:31:18 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 22, 2009, 12:46:18 AM

But like Atomic, I have "Guaranteed Closed Beta Access" to STO. Frankly, it's too bad that they got FAR more 6-month and Lifetime subs than they had slots available for the start of closed beta. I think it would've greatly reduced the ire that a lot of people have with Cryptic right now.

But on the flip side, I have a ton of games to play right now, so maybe it's a good thing.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »

hmm - you'r not missing out on much actually... timewindow is 2 hours only, twice a week, and the game is very very barebone right now... I really hope the devs have another version stacked somewhere for release in 3 months.

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:54 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 21, 2009, 05:20:14 PM

That doesn't quite make sense to me, with one being high fantasy and the other being space opera.

I know people say they prefer one type of MMO over another........but I don't believe it. People love MMO's. Period. A new one, especially if its hyped in a big way will ALWAYS draw away from games that people aren't that happy with. Regardless of time frame or story line.

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2009, 06:38:08 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 22, 2009, 02:31:18 AM

But like Atomic, I have "Guaranteed Closed Beta Access" to STO. Frankly, it's too bad that they got FAR more 6-month and Lifetime subs than they had slots available for the start of closed beta. I think it would've greatly reduced the ire that a lot of people have with Cryptic right now.

But on the flip side, I have a ton of games to play right now, so maybe it's a good thing.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Remember the shitstorm that happened when Cryptic tried to tell people that they are out of 6mo and lifetime deals?  nod
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on November 22, 2009, 06:38:08 PM

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Remember the shitstorm that happened when Cryptic tried to tell people that they are out of 6mo and lifetime deals?  nod

They also said 'limited time offer' and 'only so many available', so yes, the players shouldn't have complained like they did. It also would've helped me get into CB as well, as I got into the 6 month offer in the first 'wave'. biggrin

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 22, 2009, 02:31:18 AM

Yeah, I hear you. They really could have handled things better. When I browse the forums everyday, most of the new threads I see are either people complaining about buying a 6 month or lifetime CO sub and not getting access or people asking if there's going to be a Mac version. Some are even saying they bought the CO subs just to get into the beta.

I think their advertising was misleading. Wether or not it was their purpose to get more people to buy 6 month and lifetime subs, there are tons that believe that buying the subs was a sure thing to get into the beta. And now, they're pretty much saying that people with those subs will get in, even if it means getting in for the last test session just so that they can say they got the people in. That's a slippery slope.

And it makes me wonder if I can trust Cryptic with this franchise. They're developing it, but will they be able to sustain it? There's a gut instinct in me that says they can't. They should of started hyping and advertising by now, even it means just getting people to the website to register. They lost a huge opportunity by not having an insert in JJ's Trek releases. Can't believe Viacom didn't see the opportunity to advertise a sister product in the same franchise like that.

The game's what, 2 or 3 months away from release according to their release date? The game's posed to be delayed at this rate. I realize people say they don't need to test it as much due to the same engine CO's using, but that's only the engine and doesn't take into account the different playstyle of this game, ie the space combat, something that isn't used very much in MMOs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:18:27 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 22, 2009, 10:10:58 PM »

No advertisement of STO in Star Trek? Ouch. That seemed like such a shoe-in that to not do it would be just stupid.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 22, 2009, 10:10:58 PM

No advertisement of STO in Star Trek? Ouch. That seemed like such a shoe-in that to not do it would be just stupid.

Exactly. Probably one of the easiest ways to get the word out to the widest demographic possible, including new fans made after seeing it in the theatre. Can't believe they didn't seize that opportunity. It's not just a ball that was dropped. More like an anvil. They could of had an advertisement that said, "You've seen the movie, now experience it!"

You know what hurts? Instead of STO getting an insert, it was that D-A-C game that did, which I hear is nothing worth writing home about. Not only that, but advertising for an X-Box game while the movie is Blueray, which I know the X-Box can't play. They should fire their marketing team.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:28 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 22, 2009, 10:26:58 PM

You know what hurts? Instead of STO getting an insert, it was that D-A-C game that did, which I hear is nothing worth writing home about. Not only that, but advertising for an X-Box game while the movie is Blueray, which I know the X-Box can't play. They should fire their marketing team.

/facepalm

Wow, what an entirely retarded marketing team. Just...wow.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »

Ten Ton Hammer posted a UI Interview:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/77083
Ten Ton Hammer: How do players start missions and episodes through the UI? Do they get a multiple choice when talking to NPCs?

Craig: We deliver you content in a bunch of different ways. You can always contact Starfleet through a button thatís always on your UI. Starfleet will always give you a list of things that you can do to make sure that you always have some sort of directive game play. You donít ever run into a time when you wonít know what to do and just go kill mobs.

That being said, just travelling through the universe youíre going to get hails from Starfleet telling you that thereís a problem. Youíre going to get distress calls. Maybe youíre going into a system for exploration content and you donít actually get the mission until youíre in the system and you see whatís going on. So in terms of getting your missions and quests, they come to you in all sorts of different ways throughout the game.
No integrated voice-comm. I think LOTRO and Planetside are the only MMOs I've subscribed to with the voice comm built-in, but most people still preferred to use Ventrilo or Team Speak. The main advantage of built-in was you could visually see someone's name on your group list blink when they spoke, just made it easier to tell who was who if you didn't already recognize their voice.

As far as the marketing goes, Star Trek D-A-C is a direct tie-in to the summer movie, that's why it gets the little marketing tie-in shtick. STO's not set in the "classic ST era" either (though apparently it will reference a lot of classic stuff). They coulda thrown in a "look for STO in January" marketing card I guess, though who knows if they knew the release date when the Trek DVD packaging was finalized?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:54:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 23, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 23, 2009, 01:41:07 PM

No integrated voice-comm. I think LOTRO and Planetside are the only MMOs I've subscribed to with the voice comm built-in, but most people still preferred to use Ventrilo or Team Speak. The main advantage of built-in was you could visually see someone's name on your group list blink when they spoke, just made it easier to tell who was who if you didn't already recognize their voice.

I keep wondering how many generations of MMOG's it will take before they add positional effects and voice filters as standard features in a MMOG. Is it really that much of a leap of technology to do this? I can't imagine it would be.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: November 23, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on November 23, 2009, 01:56:00 PM

I keep wondering how many generations of MMOG's it will take before they add positional effects and voice filters as standard features in a MMOG. Is it really that much of a leap of technology to do this? I can't imagine it would be.

I agree with the devs on this one - who really wants to use integrated voice chat nowadays when guilds and such all use things like Vent or Teamspeak (or in my case, Skype, as it's high quality with fewer people)? Heck, look at Borderlands on the PC - the first thing that players did was find a way to turn it off. Of course, there was no way to disable it period without digging through the ini files, but that's a different story.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 23, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »

Back in the old days we had to type our chat. Talking took up too much bandwidth.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »

As far as the marketing goes, Star Trek D-A-C is a direct tie-in to the summer movie, that's why it gets the little marketing tie-in shtick. STO's not set in the "classic ST era" either (though apparently it will reference a lot of classic stuff). They coulda thrown in a "look for STO in January" marketing card I guess, though who knows if they knew the release date when the Trek DVD packaging was finalized?

STO is their biggest Trek game in years. Same era or not, it's still a Trek game and the movie and MMO share many things in common. They cover the same bases. The game would have benefited from  letting fans of the new movie know that a Star Trek MMO exists, even if it's simply an insert that says it's coming soon. Many Trek fans new or old have no idea it exists. Those of us who are following it closely are only a small percentage. The D-A-C game, tie-in or not is a little piddly thing that many are panning. I think STO would have benefited a LOT more from advertising, so I think it was a big opportunity that was lost.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:10:03 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: