http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:28:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Square-Enix's new MMORPG- Fantasy Earth:The Ring of Dominion  (Read 1970 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2005, 09:44:46 AM »

I know I know, kind of old news.  But ever since hearing about this with the scarce details way back when, I've always been intrigued.  Well, now there's more info on it along with more screenies.  The official site is:

http://www.playonline.com/fe/

A couple of pics:

Here's some newer details RPG Gamer has written on Fantasy Earth:
"After being introduced as an online blend of many genres in September, a new batch of deeper details now provides the gaming public with a better idea of what to expect from Fantasy Earth: The Ring of Dominion.

First, following a somewhat common idea in MMORPGs, players must choose a nation with which to align. The countries revealed thus far include Netzawal, ruled by the Beast King Hyunkel; Elsord, ruled by the Wise King Naius Elsord; Holdein, ruled by the Lady General Wadriti Berkstein Holdein; and the Gebrand Empire, ruled by Raiel Ku'belda Gebrand. The story revolves around these five groups fighting over which of them will govern Esucetia, the sixth continent. After choosing a homeland, one must select a character type. The choices available are Warrior, Berserker, Shadow-walker, Hunter, Sorcerer, Priest, and Rune Blade. Among the visual customization options for said characters are seven different facial structures, seven hairstyles, five body types, and five different colors for eyes and hair. Within each job exists another handful of outfits with which to customize the avatar.

New gameplay revelations have stated that crystals will play a large role in the world of Fantasy Earth. Popular myth has the whole world birthed from one giant crystal, while the smaller variety can be found by players and used as sources of power. One such use comes in the form of mastering new skills, while another is related to the building of forts. When a players collects enough crystals, a tactical move can be made by building one of eight different types of forts. Of course, in a game such as this in which player vs. player combat is a central focus, one would best be advised to use caution in building, as other players will be doing their best to destroy the structure. It will be possible to use the terrain to one's advantage when planning the fort-construction, which adds to the strategic apects of the gameplay. As things currently stand, any type of fort can be built on any type of battle map."

Anyways, the new screenies and the new clips of a little bit of gameplay in their movie at the official site is making me excited to play this game, granted I have always been a "Squaresoft" fanboy.  It seems as though they're trying something new, with the whole tactical side of building forts and so forth.  The style of the game is pretty neat in my opinion - maybe it's a tad bit too anime'ish for me, but I like it.

Just thought I would share.  Might as well have a post not about WoW, eh?   :lol:

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 01:15:45 PM »

I will be keeping my eye on this one for sure, but it is low on my radar right now.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:45:39 PM »

This looks suspiciously like that canceled Xbox MMORPG, True Fantasy Live or whatever.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 04:03:22 PM »

Nope, TFO was cell shaded and was being developed by Take 5.  Here is a shot of what it looked like.

While there appear to be a few similarities, this is not TFO.  TFO is rumored to be still under development but for XB2.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 05:50:19 PM »

sorry but all these little kid avatars just creep me out big time.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 06:00:39 PM »

No way in hell would I play that.   I'd have  anime nightmares for the rest of my life.  :shock:
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 08:56:34 PM »

I saw the top half of the first screenshot and instantly thought "Looks cool, the art direction is a little different."  Then I scrolled down and saw the anime characters and bam, I have no interest in it.

For some reason, anime characters bother the hell out of me.  Especially in an MMO.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 10:08:48 PM »

Meh, yeah, the graphical "anime-ness" kinda hurts it for me too.  But the whole strategy/fort thingy seems intriguing.  

Anyways, it was a post for everyone just to know that it's there and in development.  I think the time it'll come out in the U.S. will most likely be late late this year or early next.  So maybe by that time WoW will be slowly becoming more and more boring and you'll want to try something new.  Anyways, keep it on the backburner   Tongue

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »

Nope, TFO was cell shaded and was being developed by Take 5

Ah.  Thanks for the screenshots, my memory of TFO was apparently hazy.  You're right, they don't look THAT much alike.   Other than the anime style.

On a side note, apparently they don't make upper leg armor for chicks.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 05:24:32 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"

On a side note, apparently they don't make upper leg armor for chicks.

Actually, if you take a look at the screenies, they don't make upper leg armor for guys either.  They just don't make pants for "chicks" smile
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:35:01 PM »

The anime style of portraying teenage and adult characters as little kids, in kid-like bodies, is a cultural gap in artistic expression that I just can’t get past.  It’s even creepier for me when the characters are dressed in clothes meant to be sexy or revealing.  The game looks interesting, but the art style...kiddie anime creepy.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 06:19:55 AM »

uh, the environments and buildings look very....WoWish.  But the character models are twisted.  Sick and twisted.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: