http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 11:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone hijacked my WoW account...long  (Read 22918 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 28, 2010, 08:25:33 PM

but a lot of the people getting hacked don't click those emails... ever.

I figure it has to be an inside job.  My son doesn't even have an email account (confirmations go to my wife's account on her PC and she's never typed in his password on her machine ever).  He says he's never given out his login/password and I have every reason to believe him (I grilled him on this and he had no reason to lie).  The PC is set up so he only connects to WoW and I manually update his few Curse mods.  I checked his PC the week before and it came up clean via Spybot and Avast.

It's not impossible that he lied, or found a way to surf to a site that infected his PC...but it's highly, highly, HIGHLY unlikely.  It could be Curse, but he's running very few mods and they're all mainstream (like Deadly Boss Mods).  At this point, the most likely culprit is a leak inside Blizzard.

As it was, they only got 1,400 gold from his account and it's already been restored. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2010, 02:27:45 AM »

Hmmm...Blizzard sent me an email offering me 7 free days to get reaquainted with the game.  I took them up on their offer and merged my WoW account with a battlenet account, then played for a few hours last week.  Today, out of the blue, i receive an email confirming a password change...which i didn't initiate.  I then logged in and changed my password again.  Then i tried to log into the game...at which point i was told my account was suspended/locked/banned. 

I sent an email to them asking what's up.  Just weird, that's all i can say.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »

Hepcat - had the same thing happen to me today.

I woke up and tried to check my gmail but got an 'incorrect password' message on my iPhone. Didn't think too much of it at the time.
Then spent a few hours trying to figure out how to get my gmail account back, since it wasn't tied to another e-mail address.

After I got that back, I looked at my e-mail history and saw that at 5:49 this morning my wow account's password was changed and at 5:52 this morning my wow account's e-mail address was changed. Hooray!!! I've spent the last three hours trying to figure out how to contact billing support with no luck. They are experiencing a 'higher volume of calls than normal' so it just hangs up on me.

No idea how my gmail account could have been hacked, but needless to say, today has been a very annoying day. I'm not sure if anything else I have has been compromised but I changed a lot of passwords today just to be safe.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »

Got my WoW account back after 4 hours of trying to get through.
Then reset the password.
Then watched someone request two password resets at 8:52PM and 1:42AM; Since they don't have access to my e-mail any longer, they're not getting in. But I still need to change my account's e-mail address.

Still waiting to get my gear back.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »

Yeah, it took me about an hour on Sunday night to get through.  Once I did, they were very friendly and helpful and I was back up in less than 90 minutes (they insisted I run a full anti-virus scan first, which I can understand).  I just didn't want anyone having access to my account, since I won't resub.  Plus, someday I might return just to check it out again and I'd like access to my lvl 70 rogue.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »

Gear's back.

Pretty painless process overall.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure out how they got access in the first place.
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2010, 12:51:19 AM »

Well I received the 72 hour ban e-mail for transferring gold this morning and found someone had added an authenticator to my account.  Apparently there is a flood of hacked accounts as it took all day to even get on hold with customer support and then they say it could take 2 weeks for them to investigate the account.  My guess is they got my info from either the Curse client, a few popular add-ons, or from inside Blizz themselves.  I use the Curse client to keep the add-ons updated but log off it after checking every couple weeks.  But no more Curse client for me as I have learned it's a common theme among those of us who got hacked recently.  Hopefully they'll let me see what I'm missing when they get it resolved as my sub was ending this week and I don't see myself coming back till Cat now.  Time to get back into LOTRO now that I have a few $6 dollar game cards and see how Fallen Earth has progressed.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2010, 02:10:40 AM »

Remember LOTRO is going free.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2010, 04:07:38 AM »

Quote from: DOSHIGH on June 08, 2010, 12:51:19 AM

Well I received the 72 hour ban e-mail for transferring gold this morning and found someone had added an authenticator to my account.  Apparently there is a flood of hacked accounts as it took all day to even get on hold with customer support and then they say it could take 2 weeks for them to investigate the account.  My guess is they got my info from either the Curse client, a few popular add-ons, or from inside Blizz themselves.  I use the Curse client to keep the add-ons updated but log off it after checking every couple weeks.  But no more Curse client for me as I have learned it's a common theme among those of us who got hacked recently.  Hopefully they'll let me see what I'm missing when they get it resolved as my sub was ending this week and I don't see myself coming back till Cat now.  Time to get back into LOTRO now that I have a few $6 dollar game cards and see how Fallen Earth has progressed.

I'll have to remember that about the Curse client.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2010, 02:12:33 PM »

So many people use the Curse client, that I wouldn't determine that was the source. I've read just as many people who have inactive accounts get hacked and they don't use the Curse client.

Whatever it is, I broke down and added an authenticator for my Droid today. I'm also stopping my subscription until Cata, but I'd like to keep my approx 50K+ gold secure.

Edit: Saw this article posted today.

New issues with Adobe Flash, Google search links could compromise your account

and speaking of Curse:

We have news of two new tricks hackers are currently using to steal WoW accounts. First, from Curse, comes news of a Google sponsored link that claims to lead to the popular addon manager Curse Client, but instead leads to a malware download. To be absolutely safe, you should always only download the client from http://www.curse.com/client.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:26:16 PM by Jag » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »

Quote from: Jag on June 08, 2010, 02:12:33 PM

So many people use the Curse client, that I wouldn't determine that was the source. I've read just as many people who have inactive accounts get hacked and they don't use the Curse client.

Whatever it is, I broke down and added an authenticator for my Droid today. I'm also stopping my subscription until Cata, but I'd like to keep my approx 50K+ gold secure.

Edit: Saw this article posted today.

New issues with Adobe Flash, Google search links could compromise your account

Wow that's a terrible and critical Flash vulnerability.  Fucking Adobe.

Thanks a bunch for the heads-up.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »

this is getting ridiculous...

I haven't logged into battle.net or wow since my account was fixed last time it was hacked other than once to verify it was fixed.  The account has a unique to itself password and now I just got another notice that my wow account (which shouldn't even be active) was suspended for gold farming.  I went to battle.net to login and it wants my authenticator number (which I don't have since I never had one).

Blizzard needs to fix this shit.  Just for kicks I had also fixed the account from my sisters system that I rebuilt and it was a fresh install of windows that was less than 10 minutes old when I did the password.  There is almost no chance that it was any kind of keylogger unless it was amazingly pushed onto her fresh system that hadn't hit any site by battle.net since it's installation.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

I suspended my WoW account after I got hacked about 4 months ago.  Before I suspended it I went through all the BS to get it set straight and then I changed the e-mail account its attached to as well as the passwords.  I still constantly get e-mails to the old account it was linked to (but no longer) that are very official looking stating they are from Blizzard admin.  They hit me for various violations from gold farming, language violations, etc.  They all say my account has been suspended and provide a link to contact Blizz admin to unsuspend my account.  I also get e-mails constantly stating my password has been changed with a link to verify.  These emails are all scams and look extremely official.  If you ever get an email supposedly from blizzard never use the link.  Access Blizzard through the log in menu or call them directly.
  In my case its easy to tell these are scams as they are being sent to an email address not linked to my battlenet account, but I can guarantee you they hack tons of accounts this way. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »

I haven't really played WoW since the first year after it was launched, but I tried logging into it just to see if I was affected. I can't remember the login details, but I have a very systematic way of dealing with passwords and usernames, and I don't get trojans or keyloggers or anything like that, nor do I open phishing emails.

Still, no matter what combination of usernames and passwords I used, I couldn't log in. Trying to recover my account based on my email address failed as well. At this point it doesn't look like there's any way for me to recover my account, which indicates it has probably been hacked. I really don't care whether I've lost the account or not (I'll never play WoW again), but this is beyond amateurish by Blizzard. Because their systems were hacked into somehow, I'm now subject to 10-15 WoW-related spam emails every day. Thank you Blizzard! I guess it's a good thing I'm no big fan of your games (Diablo excluded).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 26, 2010, 01:18:36 PM

this is getting ridiculous...

I haven't logged into battle.net or wow since my account was fixed last time it was hacked other than once to verify it was fixed.  The account has a unique to itself password and now I just got another notice that my wow account (which shouldn't even be active) was suspended for gold farming.  I went to battle.net to login and it wants my authenticator number (which I don't have since I never had one).

Blizzard needs to fix this shit.  Just for kicks I had also fixed the account from my sisters system that I rebuilt and it was a fresh install of windows that was less than 10 minutes old when I did the password.  There is almost no chance that it was any kind of keylogger unless it was amazingly pushed onto her fresh system that hadn't hit any site by battle.net since it's installation.

It sure sounds like Blizzard has some serious issues on their end when it comes to their account database.

Also, keep in mind that their Authenticators, while an EXTREMELY good idea, also have their problems because anybody with an Android based phone, or an iPhone (I think) can get an Authenticator for free. So all it takes is an account breach (however), and then they can slap an Authenticator onto it. Then you're not getting the account back without work.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »

I thought you had to purchase a phone based authenticator but they could be free, regardless they can get an authenticator and link it to an unlimited amount of accounts, so a hacker only needs 1.  Thats pretty common now with hacked accounts.  They can block you from easily recovering your account with one.  So the weapon that Blizz devised to protect accounts is now used to help steal them.  I also have a big problem with Blizzrd charging for authenticators.  They claim that the online content of your account is the property of Blizzard, youre not allowed to sell it, etc... and then they charge you for an authenticator to protect what they claim is their property.  They should provide those things free of charge.  After all Im fairly sure my account was hacked on Blizzards end through Armory as there is absolutely no evidence that they did so thru my computer.  This is one of the main reasons I quit WoW.  The greed they showed in charging me $6 to protect thier property has cost them my monthly fee.  If they were smart they would include an authenticator in every box when the new expansion comes out.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »

Uhh, the mobile version of their authenticator *is* free.  Just not the keychain version one... which I can understand because it's an extra piece of hardware.

What are all you guys suggesting?  That you know for sure it's a Blizzard inside job?  I find that hard to believe.  I've never been hacked nor any of my friends, and we have all had accounts since launch.  Obviously that's a small sample size, but so are you guys.

The people who get hacked obviously complain the loudest on the internet, so you hear them the most.  I don't think it's a case where like 50+% of WoW accounts get hacked, which is what yall seem to be implying.  I think it's still a low percentage (relatively-speaking).
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 26, 2010, 07:35:24 PM

What are all you guys suggesting?  That you know for sure it's a Blizzard inside job?  I find that hard to believe.  I've never been hacked nor any of my friends, and we have all had accounts since launch.  Obviously that's a small sample size, but so are you guys.

The only thing I'm suggesting is that my account has been stolen and that it's not my fault, nor was it stolen through hacking my computer or by observing some kind of transaction between my computer and Blizzard (as I haven't played the game in years).

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that it's Blizzard's fault, and Blizzard's fault alone, that my account is now gone forever. I don't care if this happens with everyone, with 50%, or with just one person. It should NEVER happen, particularly not with a company the size of Blizzard.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 26, 2010, 07:41:48 PM

The only thing I'm suggesting is that my account has been stolen and that it's not my fault, nor was it stolen through hacking my computer or by observing some kind of transaction between my computer and Blizzard (as I haven't played the game in years).

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that it's Blizzard's fault, and Blizzard's fault alone, that my account is now gone forever. I don't care if this happens with everyone, with 50%, or with just one person. It should NEVER happen, particularly not with a company the size of Blizzard.

What should never happen?  Someone getting hacked in any MMO?  Because no matter how big or small a MMO, some player has gotten hacked in every single online game out there.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 26, 2010, 09:04:28 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 26, 2010, 07:41:48 PM

What should never happen?  Someone getting hacked in any MMO?  Because no matter how big or small a MMO, some player has gotten hacked in every single online game out there.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Yeah you are, sort of. I wasn't hacked. Blizzard was hacked. There's a HUGE difference between those two.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 26, 2010, 09:05:29 PM

Yeah you are, sort of. I wasn't hacked. Blizzard was hacked. There's a HUGE difference between those two.

Ok, so we're just making the assumption that the changed password/account-info was not due to anything on your end.  That may or may not be true... maybe you're right, it's just not something anyone can say with 100% certainty.

In any case though, even if we go along with your scenario, lots of other online companies have gotten hacked too (not just Blizzard).  For every MMO game out there, you can find plenty of players who have gotten their account messed up, that *insist* it was not their fault.  So it's not just Blizzard games where that happens.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 26, 2010, 09:12:44 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 26, 2010, 09:05:29 PM

Ok, so we're just making the assumption that the changed password/account-info was not due to anything on your end.  That may or may not be true... maybe you're right, it's just not something anyone can say with 100% certainty.

In any case though, even if we go along with your scenario, lots of other online companies have gotten hacked too (not just Blizzard).  For every MMO game out there, you can find plenty of players who have gotten their account messed up, that *insist* it was not their fault.  So it's not just Blizzard games where that happens.

Well, if you have any good theories as to how someone could get access to my account that hadn't been used in years, then be my guest. And if you can explain how there was a sudden wave of these reports for WoW, bonus points to you.

Yes, other companies can get hacked, and it occasionally happens. The difference is that every time this has happened to other companies that I've even heard of, these companies promptly issued public statements about the incident and what caused it. Blizzard seems to have only looked at the problem as a chance to sell additional security layers to secure their own systems. Frankly, it pisses me off.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »

It actually IS something that can be said with 100% certainty though.  When I format a new system, install windows, change the password with a password only used for it and then never type that password again ever on any system and my account gets hacked, it's 100% not on my end.  Someone got into the database somehow and got the info.  Doesn't have to be an inside job, but it does mean it's on Blizzard's end.

I work (well, did when I was working) in IT and had an emphasis on network security.  I am certain it was not on my end and I did the format and install on a separate computer just to see if the account got hacked again.

Sure people get hacked all the time and a lot of them it's because they click stupid shit or download stuff they shouldn't.  However with battle.net a lot of the people getting hacked don't do that sort of thing and a lot of them are inactive accounts and are probably chosen because of that.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »

I wasnt sure about the authenticator on cells since I dont have a droid or iphone I cant get it, but while checking into it on Blizzards site it said there was a charge for the phone program.  I guess thats been eliminated.  As far as the "hardware" its a cheap ass random number generator that they probably produce for less than a buck and yes since Blizz is so high and mighty about "owning" the in game content then I feel they should provide the  means to protect it.  As far as whether Blizzard has been hacked,  when my account got taken, a large amount of people I knew in game were hacked within a 2 week window, we are talking about 15 accounts.  Most of those people, myself included took care not to go to sites that had hack potential and had never been hacked in all the years we had played.  There was word that some hackers had backdoor hacked blizzard through their armory link and coincidentally Armory was soon taken down for over a week.  So to sum up, yes I think Blizzard was hacked and accounts were accessed on their end.  No, I dont believe there was anything in my system that caused my account to be hacked. I checked my system out and had my IT friend at work go through it and he found no intrusions into my system.  I never said that it was an "inside job" nor do I think it was.  I believe that considering how cheap the authenticators are, even if they did cost Blizzard $6 a piece ( which they dont ) that would be a very cheap fix for them to fix what is a major problem.  Also remember that if 90 percent of Blizzards customers remain hack free thats still over 1 million accounts being hacked.  Now can I say everything Ive said is 100% correct?  Of course not, hell philosophically I cant say with 100% certainty that I even exist or that you do.  But Im pretty damn sure we do.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41:46 PM »

The people who get hacked obviously complain the loudest on the internet, so you hear them the most.  I don't think it's a case where like 50+% of WoW accounts get hacked, which is what yall seem to be implying.  I think it's still a low percentage (relatively-speaking).

I had my account hacked. I hadn't played the game for over 6 months, and the only reason I knew it happened was because I got an e-mail from them stating that I'd activated the trial for the latest expansion, only to get the account banned less than 24 hours later.

Once again - 6 months. And I use different passwords for my online games verses forum accounts, so it wasn't that either. Never used the Curse downloader, never used any other programs to install mods back in the day (all by hand, and they were all popular mods too), and I hadn't visited Blizzard's site or Curse in ages. Finally, I never opened any suspicious e-mails from anybody, and run a virus/malware scanner on all my rigs, so it wasn't that too. And I have never shared my account with anybody. Oh, and my password isn't a dictionary entry either.

There's only one possible answer from my point of view - Blizzard got hit. Period.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »

Shrug, you guys are obviously convinced, so there's no reason to talk about it further.  Only thing I'll say again, is that in every other MMO I've played, when people get hacked a lot of them are also fully convinced that there was no possible way they did anything wrong.  Doesn't mean it's true.

Anyway, since yall hate Blizzard and battle.net because of this, I hope none of you are planning on playing Diablo 3.  Cause it's gonna be the same system.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 27, 2010, 12:49:19 AM

Anyway, since yall hate Blizzard and battle.net because of this, I hope none of you are planning on playing Diablo 3.  Cause it's gonna be the same system.

Now, I never said I hate Blizzard - I'm just worried, that's all. Yeah, I realize it'll totally be the same system in the end. That's why I'm so concerned.

I've also played, well, let's just say a lot of MMOs in the past, both before and after WoW. I haven't had a problem in any of them. Of course, none of those MMOs are anywhere near as popular and successful as WoW is...

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2010, 04:02:31 AM »

I hope they fix this before D3, but if not I will be skipping it.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »

Shrug, you guys are obviously convinced, so there's no reason to talk about it further.  Only thing I'll say again, is that in every other MMO I've played, when people get hacked a lot of them are also fully convinced that there was no possible way they did anything wrong.  Doesn't mean it's true.

this is what i said way back when. it's 100% the person's fault. either they choose a weak password, they went to a fishing site whatever.

it's 100% the account holders fault. even if you don't have a current wow account and use bnet get an auth. on your account. that is 99.9% hack proof. if you get hacked using one chances are it's blizzard's fault then.

if you don't use one, you have no one to blame but yourself. no sympathy what so ever. the auth is free for almost every current major phone out there or the price of shipping. blizzard makes no profit off selling them. you pay for shipping.

sorry you guys don't want to hear it. but you got hacked, it's your fault. you can only dipshit proof so much.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2010, 07:26:57 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 27, 2010, 06:44:52 AM

this is what i said way back when. it's 100% the person's fault. either they choose a weak password, they went to a fishing site whatever.

it's 100% the account holders fault. even if you don't have a current wow account and use bnet get an auth. on your account. that is 99.9% hack proof. if you get hacked using one chances are it's blizzard's fault then.

if you don't use one, you have no one to blame but yourself. no sympathy what so ever. the auth is free for almost every current major phone out there or the price of shipping. blizzard makes no profit off selling them. you pay for shipping.

sorry you guys don't want to hear it. but you got hacked, it's your fault. you can only dipshit proof so much.

you're an idiot and obviously didn't even read what I posted.  on a fresh install of windows and the password was never retyped again on any computer, period.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2010, 07:31:07 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 27, 2010, 06:44:52 AM

What the fuck are you talking about? The authenticater was released YEARS after I stopped playing, and I never logged in during that time. Of course, you were barely coherent in your post, so perhaps you just failed to bring your point across in a readable manner? One can always hope.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 27, 2010, 02:38:55 AM

Now, I never said I hate Blizzard - I'm just worried, that's all. Yeah, I realize it'll totally be the same system in the end. That's why I'm so concerned.

I've also played, well, let's just say a lot of MMOs in the past, both before and after WoW. I haven't had a problem in any of them. Of course, none of those MMOs are anywhere near as popular and successful as WoW is...

Yeah that's cool, and I respect that you acknowledge that.

It's kinda like people bitching about Windows having a lot of viruses/trojans.  The obvious reason is because it's been by far the most popular casually used OS out there.  Combine that with people's irrational hate of Microsoft, and you get a bunch of hacker nerds making it their life's goal to write malicious stuff upon Windows.

But that certainly doesn't mean that linux or macs are 100% foolproof security-wise.  Just means they are targeted way less and most of those hacker nerds don't devote themselves against those platforms.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »

Lol,  I don't hate Blizzard.  They are a great gaming company that makes great games.  I am ticked about the hacking issue but that's more due to the popularity of WoW.  My issues with the authenticator are more about principle than expense, the $6 is very a very minor cost when compared to the $150 or more you pay in subscription fees per year.  If blizzard is giving away authenticators for free, you just pay the shipping cost ( which is BS btw it doesn't cost $6 to mail that thing ) then why shouldn't Blizzard put them in the next expansion package?  As far as the not playing Diablo 3 because of WoW, Diablo is a fully contained single player game and you don't need to play on battlenet to enjoy it, so I can and will play it without having to deal with the issues I had with WoW.   One last thing,  Jersoc if you are going to continue to spew your usual trollish crap, please make an effort to form coherent sentences.  Oh and if the authenticator is 99.9% hack proof, that still means over 110,000 accounts can be hacked. You say its 100% the persons fault and then show that even the authenticator isn't 100% hack proof. So thank you for proving yourself wrong.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2010, 04:07:28 AM »

You guys can scroll back to read my original posts. Basically my account was closed for about a year or more when I got an email that my account had been banned for illegal activities. I was pretty mad that not only did Blizzard allow it to be hacked on their side but they wanted to charge me money to fix their issue. It was and is pure BS. It is also why I still have not returned to WoW since then. I got my account back for Battle.net but that's it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2010, 04:13:28 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 27, 2010, 04:02:31 AM

I hope they fix this before D3, but if not I will be skipping it.

luckily my D2 account seems to be safe unlike my WoW account.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »

Both my brother and I had our accounts hacked.  Mine was hacked after I hadn't played in over a year and the same was true of his.

Perhaps all of us on this board are stupid and got hacked on out end but it is interesting to me that whoever these hackers are that they only stole my WoW password that I hadn't used in a year and isn't stored on my computer.....so the premise would be I let myself get hacked and they are smart enough t penetrate my system but only got my WoW password which isn't actually on my computer BUT their hack completely ignored my online banking passwords and credit card passwords which I did use during the period my system would have had to be compromised for the problem to be on my end?  Does that really sound plausible?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2010, 01:24:28 AM »

Just an update. My account SEEMS ok. I still don't play WoW but Battle.net seems ok and I don't have any official email saying otherwise. That said though..over the last 2 weeks I have gotten about 5 or 6 phishing emails that say they are from Blizzard. Anything from You character transfer has been approved , to your account is in jepardy of being sold or traded , to the old Illegal gold trading and such n such.

I've checked the origin of each email and they are always from some jackhole using a hotmail account. I've forwarded them all to the hack dept at Blizzard. I hope they fry his ass...if they actually do anything. I keep getting them. Even today I got one.

Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »

I average about 5 per day from "Blizzard" and a couple from "NCSoft" too.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2010, 02:23:28 AM »

If you tie your account to an authenticator, what happens when you lose that authenticator? How hard is it to get Blizzard support to disable the authenticator from your account and let you access it using static password?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »

I just got this one.....

Battle.Net Account Issue -- Account Locked Notice

Dear customer,

Due to suspicious activity, the Battle.net account [email protected] has been locked. You logined your account successfully at 9:41:17 on 2010-8-7 from the 175.242.12.5, but our system shows this IP isn't your registered IP. We are concerned about whether your account has been stolen.

I like how they spelled logged in as logined smile The weird thing is this is to yet another of my email addresses and not the one for Battle.net
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:43:02 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: