http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:27:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOE to players: Want more content? Cough it up...  (Read 2191 times)
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2005, 05:45:32 PM »

After that nicely inflamitory title here's the actual article smile :

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/06/news_6115915.html

The first part of the adventure pack will come as a free download. All of the game's subscribers will be able to sink their swords into a new zone, fight new enemies, and so on. There will also be some new quests in this area for all players. Some of these quests will flesh out the lore behind the game's dark elf race and at least partially explain what has transpired in the 500 years that lie between the original EverQuest and EverQuest II. If players want to continue down this story path, they will have to pay what's been described as a "small fee" to download the rest of the adventure pack's content and continue on.

I hope it fails miserably just on principle alone. :|

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 05:48:40 PM »

Why?  What's new about it other than "We're gonna give you the first hit for free"?

AO has done it.  Asheron's Call has done it.  City of Heroes is doing it.  Everquest did it.  It's called an expansion.  

Now if it's something the size of AC's monthly pushes or CoH's pushes, then there might be problems.  If it's something Expansion-sized, or the price is like $5-10, then it won't be as bad.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 05:52:13 PM »

These aren't full sized expansions.  They are basically doing what CoH is doing with thier content patches, but making players pay for it if they want all of it.  I'm not usually one to complain about the charges for online games, but I find this pretty ridiculous.

Edit: In fact... from the article:

That said, SOE certainly hasn't completely eliminated the concept of a retail expansion for EQII, either.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 06:04:14 PM »

I need more info before I can condem it.

Lets look at this example.

Lets say it takes 12 months go create a 10-zone expansion for EQ2. This gets sold for $30.

Now instead of doing that, they make 10 seperate mini-updates, 1 for each zone. They make the first available 2 months from the start of the project and roll out 1 each month after. These cost $3.00. Well, actually, if you think about it, they could charge less because with these a lot of the distribution/publishing cost would not be there (CDs, boxes, shipping, etc). So they would each cost $2.75.

Customers get content quicker and at a cheaper price. Woot!

Of course, the company could charge you $7.50 for each mini-update, which could mean you pay $75.00 for a $30.00 expansion. frown
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 07:39:11 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Lets look at this example.

Lets say it takes 12 months go create a 10-zone expansion for EQ2. This gets sold for $30.

Now instead of doing that, they make 10 seperate mini-updates, 1 for each zone. They make the first available 2 months from the start of the project and roll out 1 each month after. These cost $3.00. Well, actually, if you think about it, they could charge less because with these a lot of the distribution/publishing cost would not be there (CDs, boxes, shipping, etc). So they would each cost $2.75.

Of course, the company could charge you $7.50 for each mini-update, which could mean you pay $75.00 for a $30.00 expansion. frown

You're probably right, there's always a possibility this will be a turning point in the way online games are distributed... but knowing SOE I naturally assume the worst. smile

s

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 07:59:06 PM »

It's SoE.  Expect the worst.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 08:52:58 PM »

I'm in the expect the worst camp.  There are pages and pages (and pages) of existing problems, imbalances and other problems with EQ2 now.  Why isn't SOE putting 110% into getting all of those fixed before committing resources to new areas of expansion that may break what is still broken?  It would be nice if it's a decent amount for a small amount but it's more than likely going to be in the $5-$10 range and not $2-$4 range.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 09:14:25 PM »

more info from EQ2 website...

"Think of them like modules for P&P adventure games. They're a smaller scale, self-containted storyline that adds onto the world with a more focused scope than a full-fledged expansion. They'll have a very reasonable price tag.

Keep in mind you'll get the first part for free, so everyone can enjoy a new zone whether you buy the rest or not.

The Adventure Packs aren't the only way we'll be adding content. Our Live Team is working on in-game events and storylines that will be surfacing in the coming weeks. Just as we added two new zones with this week's update, more free adventure areas will be coming in subsequent updates.

Beyond that, there will be full expansions that add significant new lands and features to the game."

I dunno sounds good to me, but then I dont really think SOE is the devil like most if you.

morlac00 on PSN
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 09:35:41 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"

I dunno sounds good to me, but then I dont really think SOE is the devil like most if you.

The best trick the devil ever played was to convince the world he didn't exsist. biggrin

s

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 09:46:31 PM »

What infuriates me about SOE is that they are devoting resources into this new 'content' before fixing what they have already charged the customer for, ie. balance your classes, fix outstanding quests, bugs, etc.  THEN start counting your money from the next expansion.  They have always done this.

olaf
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
What infuriates me about SOE is that they are devoting resources into this new 'content' before fixing what they have already charged the customer for, ie. balance your classes, fix outstanding quests, bugs, etc.  THEN start counting your money from the next expansion.  They have always done this.

olaf

Usually it's an entirely different team working on new content than the one that does bugs and balances

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 01:32:09 AM »

Aye most MMORPG's have seperate teams for ongoing maintenance and expansion type content.  Personally I played EQ2 up until about 2 weeks ago.  I am not playing now as I got hooked on WoW, but that said I never encountered a single bug aside from a memory leak in EQ2.  Actually I have encountered many bugs and technical problems with WoW, much moreso than EQ2.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 03:01:40 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
The Adventure Packs aren't the only way we'll be adding content. Our Live Team is working on in-game events and storylines that will be surfacing in the coming weeks. Just as we added two new zones with this week's update, more free adventure areas will be coming in subsequent updates.

I love how they say those adventure areas are "free".
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 07:52:22 PM »

Every time I play Galaxies I feel a pain in my lower regions (10 day trial reminded me of the pain I felt during the 6 months I played SWG back from the 2nd day after release).
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 01:45:22 AM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Well, actually, if you think about it, they could charge less because with these a lot of the distribution/publishing cost would not be there (CDs, boxes, shipping, etc). So they would each cost $2.75.

Sure they COULD charge less for it since they don't have to pay for boxes/shipping/etc. but why WOULD they?  Shareware companies do this, not big time pubs like SOE (hello, Steam!).

Also I can't imagine SOE not making retail expansion packs.  EQ1 is rivaled only by The Sims in number of expansions.

Not that it matters.  SOE has more than their share of ill will, but people still pay for it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 11:46:43 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Quote from: "olaf"

olaf

Usually it's an entirely different team working on new content than the one that does bugs and balances

Sure but my point was that new content is being worked on and ends up being released long before the content they just sold you is balanced and bug free.

olaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: