http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOE announces new Star Wars Galaxies?  (Read 1068 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »

So, John Smedley, president of SOE (Sony Online Entertainment), held a Reddit yesterday where people could ask him (almost) anything and he'd respond best he could.

Well, this sorta came out of nowhere:
http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey4rth

Cranks0: If you could relaunch a shutdown title which one would you pick and what would you do differently this time?

j_smedley: SWG. I would do everything differently.
j_smedley: SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now.

Make of it what you will. I highly doubt it will be anything related to Star Wars, because, well, Star Wars License. But who knows.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:14:06 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »

I was with SWG for awhile,but i came late to the game,very late and my PC was dire shit to run the game properly

I loved the exploration of the game,i trecked over Tatooine with my Speeder,couldn't get into Jabba's Palace but visited Mos Espa and Mos Eisley,i went to Naboo to the Royal Palace i basically went to visit all the places from the movies

We all know Star Wars could make an amazing MMO,but its not really happened(not played SWTOR but heard very mixed things)

If it happened on PS4,i would certainly give it a chance...but yeah,EA have the license now since Disney took over,so it probably isn't a SW MMO...but i still hope it can happen some day

If SWTOR came to PS4 i would give that a go(again though..EA)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »

Smedley has said on Twitter that it was not a new Starwars game, but that fans of the old SWG game would like what they were trying to do.

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 1h

just to clarify a point I made in my AMAA - we have a new game that I think SWG vets will like. It's not a new Star Wars game at all.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »

The best part about SWG was how it detached itself from the traditional "you must kill monsters to become better" mentality. Who said other game systems than combat can't be interesting? I never played the game outside the beta (it was the wrong time for me), but I absolutely loved working my way up the crafting trees.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 27, 2014, 07:57:07 PM

The best part about SWG was how it detached itself from the traditional "you must kill monsters to become better" mentality. Who said other game systems than combat can't be interesting? I never played the game outside the beta (it was the wrong time for me), but I absolutely loved working my way up the crafting trees.

The best part of SWG was the gogo boy dancing outfits and animations!!!!  Man those were good times, what I wouldn't give to get that screenshot back.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 27, 2014, 10:38:17 PM

The best part of SWG was the gogo boy dancing outfits and animations!!!!  Man those were good times, what I wouldn't give to get that screenshot back.

(PR just looks at ritt)

So... gay.  icon_razz
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure I still have a screenshot somewhere of that dance party...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 30, 2014, 05:26:30 PM

Quote from: rittchard on January 27, 2014, 10:38:17 PM

(PR just looks at ritt)

So... gay.  icon_razz

Dude, you have no idea.  I was wearing (I think) gold short shorts and a buddy of mine had something similar, and we did dance animations standing underneath a giant lizard thing.  A crowd of people actually formed to watch us.  It was probably my all time favorite laugh out loud moment in any MMORPG in over 15 years.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 30, 2014, 07:04:55 PM

I'm pretty sure I still have a screenshot somewhere of that dance party...
somewhere, I've got pics saved of the old Tusken Raider guild. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »

Well, let's hope it's not too much like Galaxies. But uses the best parts of the living world style of MMO, and not the horrific grind.

Or at least if it is a grind, make it a fun grind with teammates.

I think this is a sign that bigger MMO companies are recognizing that the wild west/living world style MMO can still pull a profit.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

I think this might be more of a wild west sandbox type game and a spiritual successor to the original SWG.  Smedley has already confirmed it's not sci-fi based at all.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »

A sandbox where combat is a mere side activity is all I want from it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 07:35:57 AM »

He's talking about player built communities and towns.

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: