http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:56:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So The Matrix Online is out next week... anyone?  (Read 3604 times)
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2005, 08:12:23 PM »

Personally I'm not going to touch it for the time being, but I was curious if anyone had been following the game and wanted to try and make a "CG forum effect" pitch to entice the rest of us. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 08:24:51 PM »

Cant help with CGFE.  I beta tested this one and it i will take 10 large men with violent leanings to make me buy this game.

AttA
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 12:00:23 AM »

My beta test experience lasted all of an hour.  I spent almost half that getting the thing installed and setting up my account.  10 minutes of that was getting the thing running, and creating a character.  5 minutes was spent waiting for the world to draw in over the gray expanse (it didn't), reading the tutorial text until it told me to click on someone (who hadn't been drawn in).  10 minutes was spent hitting exit, and waiting while it hung my system, and then hard-rebooting.  Five minutes was spent logging back in, finding that the tutorial wouldn't run again, then running five feet before rubberbanding back ten.  Ten minutes were spent exiting (hard locking again).

Uninstall.

The forum effect is weak with this one.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 02:43:16 AM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
My beta test experience lasted all of an hour.  I spent almost half that getting the thing installed and setting up my account.  10 minutes of that was getting the thing running, and creating a character.  5 minutes was spent waiting for the world to draw in over the gray expanse (it didn't), reading the tutorial text until it told me to click on someone (who hadn't been drawn in).  10 minutes was spent hitting exit, and waiting while it hung my system, and then hard-rebooting.  Five minutes was spent logging back in, finding that the tutorial wouldn't run again, then running five feet before rubberbanding back ten.  Ten minutes were spent exiting (hard locking again).

Uninstall.

Sounds like they nailed the feel of the third movie though. biggrin

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 04:39:22 AM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "Chaz"

Uninstall.

Sounds like they nailed the feel of the third movie though. biggrin

Smoked!   Cool
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 08:35:01 AM »

Must be a glitch in the matrix.

My Beta experience was longer, but not that much better.  No crashes or lag outs.  By the time I joined it wasn't a problem, so you don't have to worry about that too much.  They still needed lot of optimizing, but it was beta.  Everything was just so funky, as like above, I couldn't get the tutorial to work again.

I have no idea what mongoose was thinking when making this game, they simply aren't an MMO studio.

Luckily, they'll have FEAR to redeem themselves with.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 12:26:54 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"

I have no idea what mongoose was thinking when making this game, they simply aren't an MMO studio.

Luckily, they'll have FEAR to redeem themselves with.

Monolith?
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 04:28:59 PM »

mongoose?

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 06:12:35 PM »

Definitely not touching this one.  For any reason.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 07:00:58 PM »

I feel bad for saying this because the lads and ladies at monolith make some great games....but the beta for MxO was complete and utter shite.  They couldn't pay me to play this.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 07:22:31 PM »

Not trying
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 09:18:44 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
Cant help with CGFE.  I beta tested this one and it i will take 10 large men with violent leanings to make me buy this game.

I played the beta for a few hours and it honestly bored me to death.

The game world looks just like the Matrix. The devs have done a fantastic job making the world look/act like the Matrix would, I'll give them that.

Unfortunately, the gameplay itself is stale and overdone. It plays like a mix of Anarchy online and City of Heroes as far as the missions themselves go, and the 'overworld' seems lifeless.

Overall, I feel that this game will bomb. The hardcore Matrix fans will love it, but compared to World of Warcraft and Everquest 2, this game doesn't have a chance.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 09:35:15 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "AttAdude"

I played the beta for a few hours and it honestly bored me to death.

The game world looks just like the Matrix. The devs have done a fantastic job making the world look/act like the Matrix would, I'll give them that.

Unfortunately, the gameplay itself is stale and overdone. It plays like a mix of Anarchy online and City of Heroes as far as the missions themselves go, and the 'overworld' seems lifeless.

So, Monolith actually nailed the movies then? slywink Good for them. It's just a shame The Matrix would be a boring game world to begin with, and the devs didn't realize this to begin with. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 09:40:26 PM »

I thought it was kinda cool...at least the combat looked exciting compared to other mmorpgs.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 10:25:19 PM »

Oops, I mean Monolith.  Mongoose is a different company I like that's currently making the Starship Troopers tabletop miniatures game.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 01:50:34 AM »

Eh, I'll give it some time whether to pick it up or not.  I think it could have some sort of potential (possibly drawing upon what players like about current MMORPGs) but I'm not too sure if it'll do that or not.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 04:53:55 PM »

Oops, I mean Monolith.  Mongoose is a different company I like that's currently making the Starship Troopers tabletop miniatures game.

Link?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 10:16:51 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"

Link?

Mongoose Publishing.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Punisher"

Link?

Mongoose Publishing.

I heard about that game.  It looks like it could be pretty sweet.  It's also being designed by Andy Chambers of Warhammer fame.

s

Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 05:50:44 AM »

A. Can I have more than one character?

B. I know my skills can be moved with ease, what about my attributes?

C. If 2 dudes are meleeing a single dude, does the single dude respond (with animations) to both or just to one guy? (like kotor)

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 02:52:16 PM »

Quote from: "Crowley"
A. Can I have more than one character?

B. I know my skills can be moved with ease, what about my attributes?

C. If 2 dudes are meleeing a single dude, does the single dude respond (with animations) to both or just to one guy? (like kotor)

A. Only one per server.  At the moment they have about 6 or 7 servers up at first glance.
B. It looks like attributes are set once you assign them so you will definitely have to decide your primary focus.
C. I've only been in a fight like that a couple times, but it looks like the players attacking the same target will basically take turns fighting the target and the target just turns back and forth to face whoever they are currently fighting.  I did just get the multi fighting skill recently, not sure if that adds some animations for fighting multiple guys.

s

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2005, 11:19:59 PM »

There is a fairly detailed thread over at OO.  Attributes change because each level you get an attribute point to put where you choose.  They ahve soem great ideas in the game, it does need some polish but it is a great change of pace from most other MMOs
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2005, 06:29:44 AM »

Polish is key, as we've seen with WoW.  We know Monolith can do polish, but since this is their first MMO, and a massive one at that, we'll have to wait and see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: