http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:47:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how is WoW going?  (Read 4399 times)
unbreakable
« on: June 03, 2005, 07:46:08 AM »

Ive just been doing my thing, having fun.  I havent been playing my 60 priest much, not for lack of things to do, but just because after 60 levels of one character I finally wanted to try out some other classes and see quests I missed.  My guild is going into Molten Core on the weekends, but unfortunately my McJob has me working on the weekends.

Anyone try out the battlegrounds on the test server?
Toe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:28:44 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Ive just been doing my thing, having fun.  I havent been playing my 60 priest much, not for lack of things to do, but just because after 60 levels of one character I finally wanted to try out some other classes and see quests I missed.  My guild is going into Molten Core on the weekends, but unfortunately my McJob has me working on the weekends.

Anyone try out the battlegrounds on the test server?

I tried to try it out, but all my characters are Alliance. The queue was just too big on alliance side for me to hang around on the test server, waiting to get in. I did not try the CTF instance though. I hear the turn-around for it is not as bad.

My dwarven priest has been 60th for a while, not been playing him alot. Mainly bring him out to round out guild/alliance groups that need some healin' and at least once every two days to do an arcanite transmute. Went on a few trips to molten core with an "uber guild" but when I figured up how many times I would have to go in order to get enough DKPs (or whatever they are called) to win an item, I gave it up (would have to attend like 20-30 raids before I could overtake some of the regular priests). He has been a tri-spec for a while now. Will probably go ahead and swap him to a Disc/holy build since I rarely solo anything with him now.

My dwarven warrior has been 60th for a few months. He was twinked a lot (which makes bringing up a warrior more fun imho) but has not done a lot of instances yet. Done a few and gotten a few nice drops. He does have his arcanite reaper though. smile He also has 300 blacksmithing and I will be working on knocking out the axesmith quest this weekend. I often run him around to collect thorium and arcanite crystals. He has his epic mount so that makes mining go a lot easier. Mined all 20 crystals for his reaper has found 27 more. Saving those up for some of those high-end purple craftable items when someone gets a recipe (like those gauntlets that prevent disarming). I definately plan on PvPing some with him. I use him also to farm for money/items when I am in the mood. He has been a Mortal Strike warrior with 5 in Fury and 15 in Protection. Going to change him to 31 Arms/20 Fury soon.

My dwarven hunter is 42nd level and moving along nicely. Its surpising how much better he is at soloing that my previous two characters. I knew hunters were the king of PvEing, but never knew how much.  He has 290 gnome engineering which is a pretty fun profession. He is Marksmanship specced. I plan on PvPing with him in Battlegrounds as well. I found my first epic item with him on Monday. Got some Boots of Avoidence off a 44th level naga in Strangletorn.

When I am bored with the above 3, I will work on my gnome warlock. He is 15th right now. He is my enchanter/tailor and I really need to get him up to 20th to advance his tradeskills past 150. But kinda waiting around for the next patch where pets keep up with you better. On a hunter its no big deal when you outrun your pet as you can just summon him back instantly with no mana cost. But for a warlock it sucks cause it takes a soul shard, long casting time, and big mana drain.

I have a young dwarven rogue in the works who is level 13.

My guild (all-dwarven roleplaying guild) is finally getting enough 60s to have regular groups hit the top instances (they are much more casual players than me. slywink). So look forward to playing with them although at times it can be frustrating. I have to keep reminding myself that they are new to this part of the game and to not get so frustrated with them.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 06:26:22 PM »

I am still playing but also still ranting about the game at every turn.

Great 1-60 game.  Crappy 60+ game.

Still shocked at how it has taken for Blizzard to get their shit straight (they still havent).  Almost seven months of monthly fees and the game is far from balanced and the content is still just trickling out.  Problems I see:

No new raid instances
No BGs
PvP scoring system so broken they hide the mechanics AND the results
Alliance almost 3 to 1 over the Horde on most PvE/RP servers
Hero classes not even on the horizon

olaf
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:31:09 PM »

The 1.5 patch that adds Battlegrounds is being released today.

olaf
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 01:23:51 PM »

How is downloading handled for something like this patch?  I would imagine with all the people that play this game, a download like this can't be the smoothest thing in the world.

Just curious.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 02:08:51 PM »

All of the major WoW patches use the still-worse-than-a-generic-BiTorrent-client-Blizzard-BT-client.

They are also usually mirrored by fileplanet and a few other places.

olaf
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 03:49:26 PM »

Patch is indeed out.  I just downloaded it and it is installing itself now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlegrounds arrive!
  The Warsong Gulch and Alterac Valley battlegrounds are now available.  
  The Warsong Gulch entrances may be found in the northern Barrens near
  the Mor'Shan Rampart (Horde) and south of Silverwing Outpost in
  Ashenvale (Alliance).  The Alterac Valley entrances may be found east
  of Sofera's Naze in Alterac (Horde), and in the Headlands of Alterac
  (Alliance).
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 09:41:11 PM »

w00t!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 03:56:35 AM »

WoW has crashed and burned for me. I waited weeks on BattleGrounds. I got so bored with the normal game I had'nt touched it for weeks. Then today BG is out and Im all excited. I log in to find the main BG is lvl 51-60 ONLY. There are no lower lvl ones like DAoC has. I cant even get in one cept a lame CTF one thats nothing like the main BG. I have no reason to play at all now.

FU Blizzard. They've lost all thier main people to other companies and it shows. Seems only the clueless are left.They are only catering to the high lvls who would otherwise leave since theres nothing to do. EQ1 did the same thing and we all left there too.Some I know refuse to ever buy another SoE game just like they did with Origin.

Im sad cause I loved WoW but they've screwed me good this time.Thats why Ive been thinking of quitting and playing Diablo 2 again. Maybe I should sell my account to help me get money for my surgery lol.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 06:16:29 AM »

Well, if a game isn't fun anymore, quit playing it.

It almost feels like Blizzard is personally destroying lives here because a game you thought was fun half a year ago, has lost some of its appeal...

I'm new to MMORPG's, but come on. It's a game. Noone's making you play it.

Reaction 1: "Hmm, I've played it so much, I've gotten bored with it. I'll deactivate my account, and see what happens in a couple of months."

Reacton 2: "Hmmm, they aren't adding stuff fast enough, and they aren't adding stuff I personally like, so Blizzard must be made of idiots who hate me! I'm never buying a blizzard game again, even though I liked it at first."

So, chill man. Be Zen. smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 11:35:01 AM »

Well, to be fair to Daehawk, Unbreakable did title the thread, "So how is WoW going?"  ...and D certainly gave an answer.   :wink:

I do however notice the same types of reactions from different forums around the net, and I do agree with you Rocketman.  If it's no longer fun, stop paying your money and move to something else.  I think MMO's (in general) are simply held to a different standard (by people) than other games are.  The pay-monthly-to-play system encourages that thinking.  If people are paying, they want something in return.  The dissatisfaction is valid in my eyes (to a certain degree).

Back to the topic at hand though...  I am still playing off-and-on when I have the time.  I play so casually, and with so many different low level characters though, I may be an old man before I experience any high level stuff.  I figure by then, Blizzard will have it pretty much ironed out.  So things for me are peachy.  I have a Priest, Paladin, Hunter, and Mage that I play off and on.  The Priest is my highest level character at 32.  The Hunter my lowest at 12.  The others are in between somewhere, probably hovering around 16 to 18.  I enjoy the heck out of the game, and think it's great fun.  If I played as consistantly and persistantly as others, perhaps I would feel different.  But for me, WoW fills a great niche.  I have made some great "friends" playing the game, and if it weren't for my addiction to xbox sports games pulling me away from WoW consistantly, I would probably be able to level up with them, which would make it even more enjoyable.  But hey, you can't have everything.  :wink:

Short answer:  Very positive.  Have not experienced Battlegrounds yet.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 11:50:55 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
WoW has crashed and burned for me. I waited weeks on BattleGrounds. I got so bored with the normal game I had'nt touched it for weeks. Then today BG is out and Im all excited. I log in to find the main BG is lvl 51-60 ONLY. There are no lower lvl ones like DAoC has. I cant even get in one cept a lame CTF one thats nothing like the main BG. I have no reason to play at all now.

In all fairness, DaoC Battlegrounds started out just for high levels if I recall. Not to mention it took a few years before they even implemented battlegrounds. Blizzard said they will be adding lower level ones in the future. I know its not as fast as everyone would like but all is not lost unless you are so put off by the game that you can't wait.

Besides, its not like leveling in WoW is comparable to DaoC/EQ1/EQ2. The experience point curve is nowhere near as steep and you never have to actually "grind" experience points since there are always quests you can do from 1 to 60th. If you get bored leveling in WoW, then really MMOL games are not for you (in my opinion).
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 01:45:28 PM »

The CTF battlegrounds were put in to satisfy two sets of folks...ones without a whole lot of time (you can play a game of CTF in less than an hour) and folks who weren't high enough level to participate in Alterac.  I haven't actually hit Alterac yet, but I believe that unlike Warsong, you've also got PvE encounters and quests which means they've got to tune them to a certain level range.   As someone else mentioned, there will be more Alterac type BGs created, and it's likely that some of them will be for lower level ranges (and possibly last somewhere between the 30 minute CTFs and the 6+ hour Alteracs).

Keep in mind Bliz also added some new <60 content in Hinterlands and Searing Gorge, which I'm really excited about.  1)  I really didn't care for STV and this will give me another area to quest in at that range with alts and 2)  As a fishing nut, I'm all sorts of happy to see this as a quest reward. smile
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 02:04:07 PM »

Fishing, EXTREME!!!!!!

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 05:55:31 PM »

I just bought this and started playing a couple days ago. I'm now a level 4 mage. It's a lot of fun so far, even if I'm just killing wolves and little vermin people. It's funny, people complained like crazy about clipping in Star Wars Galaxies but I've already run through a horse or two in WoW. No big deal, but I just thought it was kind funny. Haven't tried casting a spell through a hill yet though. Was pretty weird to shoot lasers through hills in Galaxies.

I tried to log in last night after getting the patch (from download.com, the Blizzard patcher was useless) but was unable to connect all night. Is this common? I really wanted to play. But if connection problems like this are common, I have better uses for $15 a month. I'm hoping it's just because of the patch, everyone was clamoring to get in. I also noticed the worldofwarcraft.com page was down all night too. Kind of sucky.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 06:01:59 PM »

Quote from: "Old Negus"

I tried to log in last night after getting the patch (from download.com, the Blizzard patcher was useless) but was unable to connect all night. Is this common? I really wanted to play. But if connection problems like this are common, I have better uses for $15 a month. I'm hoping it's just because of the patch, everyone was clamoring to get in. I also noticed the worldofwarcraft.com page was down all night too.

Hmm, I had no problem connecting, downloading patch, or playing at all when I got home last night (approx. 3:30 CST till about 10:00pm).
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 06:37:37 PM »

Hey Negus -

Welcome to the World of Warcraft.  My guess is your connection problems were a fluke.  I've had little problems the last few days, and God knows if anyone in the universe would/could have problems, it's me.  Hopefully you'll have better luck today.

Regarding the "clipping".  That's kinda the way it works do to the way Blizzard has incorporated collision detection, or lack thereof.   :wink:

Most likely you'll get so used to it after awhile, it won't even be a thought.

I'm assuming you made a Gnome?  Don't forget to type /train and /taunt and /silly every so often.  To me, that's the best part of being a Gnome.  (yep, I'm easily amused)   :?

Best of Luck.

LD

LD

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 08:30:45 PM »

Guess it was just me, then! That's pretty weird. Next time I'll just reboot, maybe that'll help. The clipping doesn't bother me so much. Does take you out of the world a bit, though. I just don't remember seeing clipping in any reviews of the game, though it was all over Galaxies reviews. I really enjoyed Galaxies actually... I think I just expect less from online games (and I really liked getting inside the SW universe)

I'm playing a human female. Maybe that's a mistake for a mage. Just wanted to get in and play. This is the first time I've played a female character online. I've already run into a couple idiots who have probably never seen a woman in real life. Pretty weird (and sad). But I'm playing on a role playing server and it generally seems to be full of role players.

Anyway, a fine game so far!
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 06:47:55 AM »

Hehe, I hear ya Old Negus. I recently rolled a female human priest (also my first female char ever), to play regularly with a few group members. Tuesday we got to Karanos (sp?), and from then on a dwarven player kept bothering me. All he typed was 'strip' and 'xxx'. That's it. Not even an explanation or anything, not even 'please' smile.

Anyway, he kept following us around, and at first we thought it was kinda funny, and tried to incorporate it into our RP, but after a while it got really tedious. I could have ignored him, off course...

Nothing you can do about it, but feel sad for that dwarf.

I must admit though, the model does look nice :p
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 07:24:19 AM »

i just started a new guild with a friend of mine, check out the website at www.enshadow.com  we're pretty proud of the site and the forums thus far and have got nearly 20 people to join us.  

the game is still going strong for me.  i've been playing since friends and family alpha (november 2003).  it's crazy how long i've been playing. through the alpha and the betas, i never let myself get above level 20, so now that im 54, im still experiencing new stuff.  it's cool sometimes to just wander around a bit.  a few weeks back i saw uther's tomb, which was pretty cool since you see him die in Warcraft 3.  you can go around and see all the places that you go through in war3, but now they're in much more detail.  

im a blizzard fan, through and through, but i agree, some of the things i was looking forward to are still not in the game.  im sure blizzard will get to them, but it's just frustrating sometimes to wait so long for something that you know when it comes out it's going to be awesome.  

the one thing i know that has been slowing development is the world-wide release of the game.  every time they get near to releasing a patch, they also release the game in another country. this time it was china. last time was europe.  hopefully they've taken over enough countries now that they can focus on content.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 10:17:29 AM »

jessie -

I checked out your guild website.  It is impressive.  Well done!

LD

LD

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 06:08:42 PM »

Still playing on Bronzebeard server and loving it. BG are a great addition and really fun so far.  Hell, I haven't even made it to the large BG, just having fun with the capture the flag one.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 08:49:15 AM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
Well, if a game isn't fun anymore, quit playing it.

It almost feels like Blizzard is personally destroying lives here because a game you thought was fun half a year ago, has lost some of its appeal...

I'm new to MMORPG's, but come on. It's a game. Noone's making you play it.

Reaction 1: "Hmm, I've played it so much, I've gotten bored with it. I'll deactivate my account, and see what happens in a couple of months."

Reacton 2: "Hmmm, they aren't adding stuff fast enough, and they aren't adding stuff I personally like, so Blizzard must be made of idiots who hate me! I'm never buying a blizzard game again, even though I liked it at first."

So, chill man. Be Zen. smile

Lol. Funny but TRUE stuff. Sometimes I get all crazy about something, then I think of something like that. Funny stuff :wink: .
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 12:30:56 PM »

Jessie- awesome web page, and great content for a guild page.  Helps to keep people intereted in a guild when you have a page like that for them.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 04:32:17 PM »

Nice site Jessie!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 04:44:52 PM »

Shit, why do I feel the desire to reinstall, reup, and do all that crap again? I really do!!
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 05:13:57 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Shit, why do I feel the desire to reinstall, reup, and do all that crap again? I really do!!

You know you want to...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 05:17:43 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"
Quote from: "Rage"

You know you want to...

Are you with Pantheon, still with the 3 of us in AH, or playing Horde Kozzie?
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 05:35:47 PM »

I'm technically in AH still... I don't play my rogue much anymore.

Currently I'm doing some Horde action on a PvP server with Ibby.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2005, 03:14:59 AM »

Haha, two months ago I was level 4. Now I'm almost to level 28. Two months for 24 levels? I wonder how that ranks on the hardcore meter. Not too high I'm sure. Still loving the game. I can't believe how much content there is. Always new stuff to do! I just realized last week that I could take the Deeprun Tram up to Ironforge. Holy moly! Now all the stuff up there to do...

Seriously, after 6 tries finally getting Van Cleef in the Deadmines was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. Bravo, Blizzard.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2005, 05:18:25 AM »

Deadmines is a really cool instance.  You get a lot of the same old, in some of the low level stuff, and i think Deadmines is really the first 'big' thing you can do.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2005, 06:58:48 AM »

I've done all the instances save a couple (like RFK) and the high-end raids, and Deadmines is still my favorite I think. I think a lot of it has to do with the first time I did it and going in with a bunch of new guys. It was all so wonderful and exciting. Of course we wiped on VC but after that I had a real loathing for that guy.
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2005, 02:57:05 PM »

When I first went to Deadmines, I told a friend about it (who is a big D2 fan).  It really did feel like doing a level run in D2; you know the level and objectives, have a good chance of getting specific loot, etc.

Now of course it's no different from EQ, DAoC, etc in that regard, but the 'feel' is much different (to me, anyway).  It just FEELS a lot like D2 in that regard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: