http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:09:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how is EQ2 holding up?  (Read 1584 times)
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 03:06:54 PM »

With WOW servers going down more often than a crack whore, I'm all of a sudden thinking about other options. While SOE is hidiously evil and has no soul (haha, just kidding - no I'm not), I'd still like to know how EQ2 is holding up as it lurches toward it's six month anniversary.

Are all the classes really wanted in groups?
Is the leveling really that slow?
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 04:04:09 PM »

Six months?  Didn't it come out around the same time as WoW?
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 06:11:39 PM »

It was released on Nov. 8th unless I'm mistaken.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 06:34:58 PM »

I just recently went back to EQ2 after some time off playing WoW.  While I enjoy WoW I also enjoy EQ2.  Part of EQ2 tho is that you need to have people to play with to get the most enjoyment out of it, where as WoW can be enjoyed alone.  

Levelling is a good bit slower than WoW.  My current character has about 2 days /played and is lvl 19.  Granted about 10 hours of that has been crafting.  In the same time in WoW you can be quite a bit higher level than that, although the cap in WoW is lvl 60 where as EQ2 the cap is 50.  

As for classes being wanted in groups... it all depends really.  There are people who want the optimal group and so will advertise group lfg class a or class b, instead of looking for healer, looking for dps etc... although to be honest this exists in both WoW and EQ2.  My current character is a monk.  I can only wear light armor such as leather, so I can not soak damage like a guardian can who wears vanguard (heavier than plate).  However I block/parry/riposte/just plain avoid damage quite often.  So the difference is that I get hit less often but for more damage per hit than a guardian, but with a small adjustment to healing tactics I can be the MT for a group.  The server I am currently on is a lower population server as well which seems to be more friendly to good pick up groups that don't care all too much about some mythical optimal group.

A few other side items to think about...

1.Death Penalty - if you don't like them, then WoW is superior in this regard.  While having basically no penalty in WoW is nice, I don't fear dying at all.  In EQ2 unless I get on a bad roll, the penalty stings but doesn't hurt.  Corpse runs aren't as bad as EQ1 since you have all of your gear.  Most dungeons allow you to recover your corpse at the door instead of trying to fight back in for it.  For the most part death is very easy to avoid in EQ2 while outdoors, but not so much indoors.

2.Crafting - Both games have good crafting systems, however the importance of crafting is different.  In EQ2, crafted items will always be superior to dropped.  The best items in the game will be crafted from incredibly rare drops from raid mobs.  Crafting in WoW is nice, but most drops are better.  WoW crafting is much easier to do, less time consuming.

3.Guilds - EQ2 has some very nice guild features that come with levelling up the guild.  Reduced cost of mounts, guild raids, access to better housing etc... in WoW a guild is really just a big chat channel and easy way to get groups.

4.Cash Flow - in EQ2 money is a pain in the ass to come across until mid to high levels.  WoW, you feel rich very early on.  Requires very different style of play as you have to be very tight fisted with spending in EQ2.

5.Quests - I think it is pretty much a wash here, both games have a metric ton of quests of all different kinds.  WoW quests tend to hold your hand and show you every step so not frustrating, EQ2 tends to want you to find more out on your own and quest clues can sometimes be quite cryptic.  Really depends on preference as to which you will like better in this regard.

I am trying to keep up playing both, but it isn't going to last.  Soon I will be deciding for sure between one or the other and am not positive which it will be.
DeadPixel
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 10:01:32 PM »

I picked up EQ2 at first, but the constant load screens to go from zone to zone really bugged me.   I was also turned off by the performance.  I have a 6800GT card and the game still ran dog slow.  To enjoy it I had to turn my settings to High Performance which always left me wondering what the items I found REALLY looked like in Very High Performance.  Switching back and forth got annoying.

Sure WoW graphics are much simpler, but I run in max detail and just accept that it looks the best it can.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 06:53:53 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

A few other side items to think about...

1.Death Penalty - if you don't like them, then WoW is superior in this regard.  While having basically no penalty in WoW is nice, I don't fear dying at all.  In EQ2 unless I get on a bad roll, the penalty stings but doesn't hurt.  Corpse runs aren't as bad as EQ1 since you have all of your gear.  Most dungeons allow you to recover your corpse at the door instead of trying to fight back in for it.  For the most part death is very easy to avoid in EQ2 while outdoors, but not so much indoors.

2.Crafting - Both games have good crafting systems, however the importance of crafting is different.  In EQ2, crafted items will always be superior to dropped.  The best items in the game will be crafted from incredibly rare drops from raid mobs.  Crafting in WoW is nice, but most drops are better.  WoW crafting is much easier to do, less time consuming.

3.Guilds - EQ2 has some very nice guild features that come with levelling up the guild.  Reduced cost of mounts, guild raids, access to better housing etc... in WoW a guild is really just a big chat channel and easy way to get groups.

4.Cash Flow - in EQ2 money is a pain in the ass to come across until mid to high levels.  WoW, you feel rich very early on.  Requires very different style of play as you have to be very tight fisted with spending in EQ2.

5.Quests - I think it is pretty much a wash here, both games have a metric ton of quests of all different kinds.  WoW quests tend to hold your hand and show you every step so not frustrating, EQ2 tends to want you to find more out on your own and quest clues can sometimes be quite cryptic.  Really depends on preference as to which you will like better in this regard.

1. Totally agree except I had frequent "bad" rolls in EQ2 and died a lot more than I should.  Nothing like missing 8 times in a row because their RNG sucks.

2. Crafting needs a serious boost in WoW.  I will say I never died crafting in WoW but I did die in EQ2 crafting.  While the crafting system was very nice in EQ2 it was expensive and a little complicated for new players.  I much prefer the gathering and crafting in WoW...anyone else in the early part of EQ2 where there were no nodes to harvest and it took a week to get the skill to 40.

3. Guilds in WoW are giant semi-permanent groups.  And that's all.  It may change but I doubt it anything in the near future.  I loved the guilds in EQ2 but they were (and still are to some degree) buggy.

4. Rich early on?  In WoW?  News to me.  At level 23 I'm regularly spending 1.2 to 1.6 gold just to train.  That doesn't include buying anything else like weapons, potions, goodies, etc.  I think the impression in WoW is you have a lot of money, including gold, but you are really spending it as fast as you get it.  

5. I like the quests better in WoW.  I want to do the quests not figure out some cryptic message before I can even start.  Not to mention the typos in EQ2 quests where you would go south when you were supposed to go west.

And

6. Load times.  I love the lack of load times in WoW.  This is a deciding factor between the two for me...especially with the *large* number of zone switching you have to do in EQ2.  The only real loading in WoW is when you start and when you enter an instance or switch to the other land mass.

7. I really liked EQ2.  I love WoW.  EQ2 looks better (I have a 6800GT), has more depth and a much better guild system and the crafting even makes a difference but I have fun playing WoW.  Every time.  I wouldn't switch back right now.
Matrix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 05:16:47 AM »

But money if easier to come by in WOW then EQ, although i was rich in both. At least thats what my Game friends keep teling me.  Once you have money in WOW, you will always have money if use them properly. Dunno about EQ2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: