http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 08:48:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 76329 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1760 on: May 21, 2011, 02:23:29 AM »

So, as somebody not really willing to read through the 44 previous pages but sees this game on sale on Steam this weekend, do you guys think this game has enough new/cool/fun to interest somebody who has been burned out on standard MMOs lately? 

I certainly like the idea of the rifts, since Public Quests were my favorite element of Warhammer, but the same old MMO mechanics really bored me when going back to WoW for the last expansion.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 21, 2011, 02:33:50 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 21, 2011, 02:23:29 AM

So, as somebody not really willing to read through the 44 previous pages but sees this game on sale on Steam this weekend, do you guys think this game has enough new/cool/fun to interest somebody who has been burned out on standard MMOs lately? 

I certainly like the idea of the rifts, since Public Quests were my favorite element of Warhammer, but the same old MMO mechanics really bored me when going back to WoW for the last expansion.

here's a 7 day trial that might help.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1762 on: May 21, 2011, 03:02:46 AM »

Thanks, CK.  I had installed the game during a free weekend but never got around to testing it, so this is a nice second chance.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 23, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »

RIFT™ TO OFFER FREE CHARACTER TRANSFERS.

by RIFT on Monday, May 23, 2011 at 12:02pm

Gather your friends in RIFT and play anywhere, any time....

When the next major RIFT™ update hits early this summer, subscribers will be treated to a surprise – free character transfers. Trion Worlds announced today that with RIFT 1.3, players will have the ability to move to select servers in their territory once each week, taking all items, achievements, and titles with them. Additionally, guild leaders will be able to move their guild’s level and experience.

“MMOs are all about playing with your friends no matter which server they’re on, and that’s why we’re offering this as a free service to our subscribers,” said Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer. “RIFT is both a game and a service, and adding free server transfers is just one more way we can make this the best possible MMO experience available.”

Whether you want to play with friends, check out a new server, or avoid queue times on highly populated servers, you’ll be free to move about Telara. As a part of this grand experiment, there will initially be no limits on the number of times you can transfer your characters or guild.

Character transfers will remain a free service for the foreseeable future, and could become a permanent addition to the RIFT experience.  Subscribers will be able to perform the transfers inside of the game itself once the patch is live.

The RIFT Free Trial and Ascend-a-Friend programs are currently in full swing. For more information go to www.RIFTgame.com/freetrial and www.RIFTgame.com/ascend.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 23, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »

here's the FAQ.

What do you mean “select shards”?

* We want the shard you select to provide the best experience possible. It is important that there remains a balance between Guardian and Defiant players and to that available shards do not become too over populated or unbalanced. For this reason you will only be able to move to specific shards we’ve selected to accept new transfers, please note the shards available for transfer may change over time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 24, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »

Oh please let this unite us.  I'd actually play again.  Sub is still going.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 24, 2011, 01:54:51 AM »

so what's the main guardian guild here at GT?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 24, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »

The Defiant guild I was in merged yet again with another guild, but nobody on the list of people I'm supposed to contact ever responds to tells.  Kind of annoying.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 24, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2011, 12:32:51 PM

The Defiant guild I was in merged yet again with another guild, but nobody on the list of people I'm supposed to contact ever responds to tells.  Kind of annoying.

Really? See if I am on next time you're on.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 24, 2011, 03:21:37 PM »

what the hell I missed a guild merger??   I need to log on

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: May 24, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

all i know is that Technicolor and the new guild (don't remember the name) seems to be high level focus.  Doesn't really play with my slow casual style Tongue  I don't think I grouped with anyone since I joined the guild.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: May 24, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 24, 2011, 04:12:57 PM

all i know is that Technicolor and the new guild (don't remember the name) seems to be high level focus.  Doesn't really play with my slow casual style Tongue  I don't think I grouped with anyone since I joined the guild.

New guild is Foe's Watch. Yeah, the merger was really done so that raiding could be done without having to reach outside the guild. Most people are working on getting raid ready (got my hit up to 135 biggrin) At this point in the release I imagine it's hard to find large number of lower levels in any guild. You have to just find random people who are leveling alts, regardless of guild. I do have a lvl 32 cleric I would like to get back to because I'm learning to heal.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 26, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »

Penny Arcade's Gabe (Mike K.) gave Rift some love today:
A few weeks ago I decided to give Rift a try and I’ve been having a lot of fun. I’m playing it casually by myself whenever I have some free time so I’m only level 11. Rift does pretty much what you expect an MMO to do these days. It has a few tricks though that make it a unique and worth checking out.

First of all I’m really enjoying the soul system. At the beginning of the game you are asked to pick an archetype like Mage, Rogue or Warrior. Each of these choices is just the foundation for your character though. Based on your choice you get access to a bunch of different “Souls” each with their own skills and powers. You can slot any three of these souls to build your own custom class.

For example I chose Mage during character creation and then for my three souls I picked Necromancer, Dominator and Stormcaller. Each of these souls has its own skill tree full of abilities. The Necromancer soul is a pet based class that has me summoning an undead warrior to fight for me. The Stormcaller is very DPS focused with a bunch of cool direct damage spells. I tossed the Dominator in to give me some crowd control and support spells. So far it has been a great mix and a lot of fun to play.

The other part of Rift that I really like is, well the Rifts. These incursions from other elemental planes are always tearing holes in the sky and dropping monsters down without warning. Last night for example I was minding my own business just trying to collect some wolf steaks when a Rift opened up right over my head. Pretty soon the ground around me had turned from grass into black rock shot through with veins of lava. Next, giant fire lizards started pouring out of a burning hole in the sky. In no time the other players around me had all rallied together and we had formed a group to fight these assholes off. It was a crazy hard fight and we closed the Rift but not before a group of these fire lizards had escaped out into the countryside. So after we closed the Rift we had to go hunt down this raiding party and kill them!

We all got rewarded for the effort but honestly the reward for me was an organic experience that I had not expected to have last night. I had just planned on grinding out a few quests but the world had other plans and I was happy to go along with them. For me this has been the real draw of the game.

Beyond that, Rift is just a very polished and well executed MMO. I actually started playing it before I even knew that we’d be advertising it. So it’s sort of fortuitous that I can tell you how much fun I’m having with it and then direct you to their free trial. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

-Gabe out
Meaningful from the standpoint he and Tycho lived and breathed WoW for years. I'll be curious if they do any Rift-themed comics (or ad-comic supplements as they've done for some game projects over the years).

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: May 26, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »

that's what happens when you join late, eventually you'll be high enough to gain the benefits.

plus Soul and you could be grouping
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: May 26, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »

I decided to give the free trial a shot yesterday, and found I quite liked it.  Ended up playing for nearly 5 hours last night, which almost never happens to me with an MMO.  Will see how it holds up over the next week (I'm an uber-casual MMO noob who much prefers solo to grouping, which doesn't work all that well in most MMO's), but have really liked what I've seen so far.  Kicking myself for not grabbing this while it was on Steam sale last week.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: May 26, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 26, 2011, 03:10:44 PM

that's what happens when you join late, eventually you'll be high enough to gain the benefits.

plus Soul and you could be grouping

When I log on...   Been playing The Witcher 2 and LA Noire, so Rift has fallen by the wayside..

NiM$
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 26, 2011, 04:43:34 PM

I decided to give the free trial a shot yesterday, and found I quite liked it.  Ended up playing for nearly 5 hours last night, which almost never happens to me with an MMO.  Will see how it holds up over the next week (I'm an uber-casual MMO noob who much prefers solo to grouping, which doesn't work all that well in most MMO's), but have really liked what I've seen so far.  Kicking myself for not grabbing this while it was on Steam sale last week.  frown

Amazon has the Digital Collector's edition for $29.95 - http://www.amazon.com/Trion-Worlds-40577rs-Edition2-Collectors/dp/B004M191TY/ref=pd_sim_vg_4

Seems weird because the digital version of the non-Collector's edition sells for $34.99

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1777 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:32 AM »

huh?  what a load
I’m playing it casually by myself whenever I have some free time so I’m only level 11.
  you get to level 11 in like an hour or two of playing.  Pretty damn casual if you ask me, if you can only find a few hours to play an MMO.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 27, 2011, 03:04:10 AM »

Quote from: tcweidner on May 27, 2011, 02:28:32 AM

huh?  what a load
I’m playing it casually by myself whenever I have some free time so I’m only level 11.
  you get to level 11 in like an hour or two of playing.  Pretty damn casual if you ask me, if you can only find a few hours to play an MMO.

and you barely have anytime to try out different souls at that level.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 27, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »

Quote from: tcweidner on May 27, 2011, 02:28:32 AM

huh?  what a load
 you get to level 11 in like an hour or two of playing.  Pretty damn casual if you ask me, if you can only find a few hours to play an MMO.

I've been playing for nearly 6 hours, and haven't hit 11 yet (nearly there though).  Then again, I don't have a clue what the hell I'm doing, and I'm sure there's tricks to leveling quickly that I'm just missing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 07, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »

Well, looks like I'm on a holding pattern at the moment. My character is raid ready, and I got into the raid as an alternate last week, but generally there enough people with seniority to fill it up on raid days. So my plan for a short period of time is to log in on Mondays and Thursdays to see if there is a spot, and if that turns out to be a dead end I'll probably just check in on content updates or expansions or occasionally play around with my lower level healer. I hit 500 hours played this weekend  eek

Kind of sad because I'd like to experience all the content, but it will be good to get to my backlog and I want to mess with Forza.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 09, 2011, 04:34:40 AM »

Man if i wasn't a primary/regular raider in my gulid...i know i'd find a guild where i would be.  I got no patience for being always a standby or almost always left out anymore.  I'll drop a guild in a heartbeat if it's not a two way relationship of goodness these days..even if it meant going backwards a little bit in content.  My guild on shatterbone has run clear through GSB and RoS on total clears i think 4 times now.  We just did all of GSB and the 3 foci and warmaster in RoS in in 3hrs...we have raid nights 4 nights a week for 3 hr raids but we're down now to where we should have less than 6 hrs of raiding to do every week.  Kinda nice.  I am absolutely still loving this game.  The challeges and gameplay are both great.   Can't wait for Hammerknell(sp?) coming up for the next tier.  

My unbuffed caster stats (had endurance buff on still, oops, heh) and my newest looks after geting the Untamed Rage Vestments tonight.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:37:13 AM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 14, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »

Were server transfers ever enabled?  I haven't been playing but would if I knew where to find a group.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 14, 2011, 07:06:35 AM »

1.3 patch for xfers
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 15, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »

Canceled... 

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: June 15, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »

I never was able to get enough people back into it to even run a single full group. frown
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 15, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »

I actually wound up switching guilds again to one that had more raiding spots. Then I went on a T2 run with one of the guys in the guild and he put his parser up. He said I wasn't parsing as well as I should be and I should talk to one of the other guys in the guild. He was actually very nice about it, but he also went to do another T2 right after and didn't invite me to come along. I know that's just sort of the way things go if you want to raid, but it's such a huge turn-off for me. I know I'm not great on the PC (horrible coordination with mouse and keyboard) and I don't really want to have to read the boards and copy the latest FOTW just to compete with everyone else (or worse, sit and test specs for dps).

So for now I decided to just take a break from the game until at least 1.3 comes out. I probably won't get to see all the content that I wanted to, but not every genre is right for every player, so be it. I'm getting back to working through my console backlog and doing other stuff I've been neglecting.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »

sounds like the wow elitism is bleeding over, excellent! another community ruined.

did you finish the instances
yes, good then you did your job!
no, then your PARTY did something wrong!

ok sure one person can make things complicated but fuck the stupid dps charts in wow pissed me the fuck off. people had no clue how to use them.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: June 15, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »

I just started my 7 day trial and had a dumb question:  Are there any forms of portal travel or recall in Rift?  I haven't seen any tutorial tips about binding or recalling.  The quest hubs and quest areas seem to all be close together, which is good, but some type of bind/recall would cut down on a lot of running. 
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: June 15, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 15, 2011, 08:55:16 PM

I just started my 7 day trial and had a dumb question:  Are there any forms of portal travel or recall in Rift?  I haven't seen any tutorial tips about binding or recalling.  The quest hubs and quest areas seem to all be close together, which is good, but some type of bind/recall would cut down on a lot of running. 

You will get a quest eventually that will lead you to your capitol city where you will take to a person next to a portal. You can bind to them and use the portal to travel to other portals you find in each area. The two starting areas have the capital portal as well as one other in a major quest hub. Just follow the quests arcs as you really don't need to portal around much until well after level 12. You also get a recall skill that can be used once an hour at some point.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »

Quote from: RobbieD on June 15, 2011, 10:26:22 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on June 15, 2011, 08:55:16 PM

You will get a quest eventually that will lead you to your capitol city where you will take to a person next to a portal. You can bind to them and use the portal to travel to other portals you find in each area. The two starting areas have the capital portal as well as one other in a major quest hub. Just follow the quests arcs as you really don't need to portal around much until well after level 12. You also get a recall skill that can be used once an hour at some point.
Awesome...thank you!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: June 23, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »

So got a new video card and monitor, and wow it's like playing a new game.  Impressive how much I was missing graphically.

I was going to transfer my character, but they said I would only be able to transfer 3 pp?  No thanks, I'm not giving up 40pp just to move accounts.  What a retarded move.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »

I thought it was 3 plat per level of your character if you were less than level 50?

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1793 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »

War is Shell is a horribly-designed quest.  It's worth than the corrupted coin thing in 1.2 by far.  God, I hope they fix it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: June 23, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on June 23, 2011, 06:37:58 PM

War is Shell is a horribly-designed quest.  It's worth than the corrupted coin thing in 1.2 by far.  God, I hope they fix it.

Which one is that, the one where you spray the people in the city?

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »

So does anyone here still play?  I'm thinking of leaving my guild since it's pretty not my play style.  I'm not even sure if I belong in a guild.  I mainly like it for the social aspect.  But my current guild is all lvl 50 and into raids.  I'd love to do raids, I just don't have the time.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: June 25, 2011, 04:52:30 AM »

Quote from: naednek on June 24, 2011, 09:00:38 PM

So does anyone here still play?  I'm thinking of leaving my guild since it's pretty not my play style.  I'm not even sure if I belong in a guild.  I mainly like it for the social aspect.  But my current guild is all lvl 50 and into raids.  I'd love to do raids, I just don't have the time.

I'm in another guild but it's pretty much a raiding guild as well at this point.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: June 25, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »

I canceled just now. I guess my 3-month sub was ending around July 13 anyway. I was kind of surprised the account management screen didn't ask me for feedback on why I was canceling, but in a way I appreciated it not making a fuss about it. It might even improve the chance I'll return at some point. icon_smile

While I love the basic concept of rifts and invasions, I eventually found the basic meat-and-potatoes questing (however conveniently located) too tiresome for my tastes. And I dunno. I'm just in a gaming funk altogether right now (not playing anything), so it's not really Trion's fault I just don't feel like MMOing these days.

And I really just don't make the kinds of relatively lasting friendships in MMOs that I did a few years ago in CoX and LOTRO. And I miss that. I don't know if games have become too scattered, or MMOs attract different people than they did a few years ago, or I'm just an old out of touch fart. Hey, don't answer that -- it's just a rhetorical question.  icon_razz I have a few good memories from Rift, and I think a lot of its concepts would improve other MMOs I used to play.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:36:23 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: June 25, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »

yeah i quit too. end game ended just being wow. no thanks, i played that game for 6 years already. broken pvp wasn't enough to keep me around either.
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1799 on: June 25, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 25, 2011, 08:33:46 AM

And I really just don't make the kinds of relatively lasting friendships in MMOs that I did a few years ago in CoX and LOTRO. And I miss that. I don't know if games have become too scattered, or MMOs attract different people than they did a few years ago, or I'm just an old out of touch fart.

I've had the same problem in MMOs lately. In WoW in 2005-2008 or so, I was a member of a good guild where we knew each other well in-game and in the guild forums. I was also in a good guild in EQ2 in 2008. The past few years, however, the guilds I've been part of in LOTRO and Rift have seemed incredibly shallow or elitist. But perhaps it's just because I became more casual. I used to be part of raiding and dungeons, but around 2009 I decided I never wanted to bother with raiding again. I did some dungeons in LOTRO but in Rift I didn't bother (leveling was fast).

I usually don't guild hop much in the MMOs I play (I know how bad it makes you look) but in LOTRO, the shallow kinships bothered me so much that I tried out more than half a dozen anyway, hoping that eventually I would find a good kinship with interesting discussions going on. Almost all of them had kinship chat going through molasses. Sometimes I did try typing some interesting sentences to stir up things, but unfortunately I'm not immune to constant ignoring and the dreadful feeling of talking to myself.  Eventually I just gave up and minded my own business.

Perhaps I'm getting old too. icon_frown
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: