http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:14:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 79686 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: April 27, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »

and sitting around doing nothing is boring as fuck. The wow community killed itself, not the LFD. the elitism and asshole attitude killed it.

and like sparhawk, there's been no reason for me to log into rift. I'm not sitting around waiting to form a group. my time is precious.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: April 27, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on April 26, 2011, 09:40:59 PM

Quote from: jersoc on April 26, 2011, 08:27:02 PM

I honestly have no idea why so many people are shitty on this. Yes, because spamming for hours for a group is fun.

This is why you never listen to your vocal group as a developer, because they're fucking stupid.

Because the LFD tool in WoW effectively killed off a big aspect of server community. No, spamming LFG channels for dungeons isn't fun either. But clicking a few buttons and being teleported into a dungeon with a bunch of strangers that barely acknowledge each other and get bitchy if the run takes more than 15 minutes sucks just as hard. As long as this isn't a cross server tool then I'm relatively ok with it.

As a player I place more emphasis on immersion and storyline than speed running dungeons to collect X number of tokens as fast as possible to get a piece of gear that has different numbers on it. If actually wanting to enjoy the game as an immersive world rather than a number crunching hamster wheel makes me "fucking stupid" then I'm happy to continue not being one of the genius hamsters that spend their gaming time trying to make the wheel go faster.

A non cross server group finder seems the best solution.

The LFD tool saved WoW for me.  I had cancelled my sub because I could never seem to get in groups.  Once they added that tool, I started playing again and could finally get good gear through dungeon runs.  Yes, you ran into bad groups every once in a while, but overwhelming majority of the time I got in a group that could finish the dungeon and with good attitudes.  I agree with you that making it non-cross-server might help with attitudes as the person can't hide behind the fact that they are on some server where they would never have to possibly interact with you, but I think that only goes so far as well.  Maybe I was just lucky in WoW, but I could count the bad experiences I had with LFD on one hand.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 27, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »

The cross-server LFD tool in WoW absolutely ruined the game for me and virtually every single person I know who played the game prior to it.

The WoW community has been shitty for a long time, but the LFD tool turned running instances into an exercise in asshattery to the extreme.  Since essentially everyone was /anon, the Internet Fuckwad Theory went into overdrive with use of the LFD tool.  Probably more than half of the groups I joined via the LFD tool had problems, ranging from extended AFKs to people just dropping group to ninja looting to extreme fucktardness.  Countless groups were marred by someone joining and then having to leave 10 minutes later or stupid stuff like that.  Or someone would get the drop they wanted and just bail out.  Almost no one talked or socialized.  I'd have more fun running instances with 4 bots of random abilities because that's what the LFD tool is - with a 50% chance of the bots either going AFK, ninja looting, cursing excessively or talking about how much of a noob someone is.

And on the rare occasions you found someone who was actually pleasant to play with, you couldn't do anything because they were on a different server.  Brilliant!

Needless to say, I fucking hated it.  The guys at my office fucking hated it.  Virtually my entire guild fucking hated it.  None of us play WoW anymore.

I think there's a better chance that a non-cross server one will work out ok.  At least you can friend people who are fun, report asshats to their respective guild leaders, etc.  So I've not been opposed to single server solution, but if they ever implement a cross-server one my subscription will be canceled that day.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: April 27, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 26, 2011, 06:08:37 PM

I'm coming up on 300 hours played, which is a little disturbing. I'm hoping I can really just cut back to once or twice a week to work on progression with guildies. That's sort of the problem with these games - once you get to endgame you have to keep up with everyone else if you hope to take part in the higher level content. I've been enjoying leveling my alt, but I have a huge backlog and haven't touched my 360 in a long while.

you say this like it's a bad thing.  If you are playing Rift, you are saving money by not buying other games. smile  (unless you're a crazed fool and are still buying them and not playing them...)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: April 27, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 27, 2011, 08:49:00 AM

and sitting around doing nothing is boring as fuck. The wow community killed itself, not the LFD. the elitism and asshole attitude killed it.

and like sparhawk, there's been no reason for me to log into rift. I'm not sitting around waiting to form a group. my time is precious.

there is plenty to do without sitting around doing nothing, especially on a pvp server.  Experts aren't all there is in the game at 50.  I'm hoping it's same server only (which I think it is, for now) and I hope it stays that way.  I wish it would work to form same server WF premades as well.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 27, 2011, 03:19:54 PM

Quote from: Teggy on April 26, 2011, 06:08:37 PM

I'm coming up on 300 hours played, which is a little disturbing. I'm hoping I can really just cut back to once or twice a week to work on progression with guildies. That's sort of the problem with these games - once you get to endgame you have to keep up with everyone else if you hope to take part in the higher level content. I've been enjoying leveling my alt, but I have a huge backlog and haven't touched my 360 in a long while.

you say this like it's a bad thing.  If you are playing Rift, you are saving money by not buying other games. smile  (unless you're a crazed fool and are still buying them and not playing them...)

Well I have a huge backlog and sometimes leveling an alt or grinding rep feels like busywork even if it is strangely addicting. I feel like I can be using my gaming time more wisely if that makes any sense.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: April 27, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »

(unless you're a crazed fool and are still buying them and not playing them...)

*raises hand*  icon_redface

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 27, 2011, 07:53:05 PM

(unless you're a crazed fool and are still buying them and not playing them...)

*raises hand*  icon_redface

fool!   icon_twisted  Best thing about an mmo addiction is the money you save buying stuff for cheap that you missed when you recover smile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: April 27, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »

Yep, that's how I usually justify it to my girlfriend. icon_biggrin

Steam profile
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: April 28, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »

Quote from: Chesspieceface on April 26, 2011, 12:11:33 AM

The magic isn't gone for me, just the people I was playing with.  Now I'm waiting for xfers and merges so we consolidate active players.  I think Rift is a great MMO though.

Same here, good MMO but I just unsubbed. Barely logged on these past couple of weeks. Trion hasn't merged servers still and The Wanderers guild in Molinar is dead.

Unfortunately, this game bears the age old philosophical question: If a good MMO falls in the forest and nobody hears it, does anyone hear it?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: April 28, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 28, 2011, 02:19:42 PM

The magic isn't gone for me, just the people I was playing with.  Now I'm waiting for xfers and merges so we consolidate active players.  I think Rift is a great MMO though.

Same here, good MMO but I just unsubbed. Barely logged on these past couple of weeks. Trion hasn't merged servers still and The Wanderers guild in Molinar is dead.

Unfortunately, this game bears the age old philosophical question: If a good MMO falls in the forest and nobody hears it, does anyone hear it?

there's nothing wrong with the mmo though, it hasn't fallen slywink  You guys just really shouldn't have bailed for the new server sadly.  The queue were a pain in the ass, but holding off for a couple weeks and you'd be much happier.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 29, 2011, 03:29:10 AM »

Well, as one of the few active members left in Wanderers on Molinar, I can say the guild is effectively dead.  But, this is pretty typical of the Wanderers -- the name explains it all.  A few us remaining actives are probably going to switch guilds this weekend.  There are several very active guilds to join, so the server is far from dead.  I encourage you to keep playing.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 29, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »

Quote from: Fez on April 29, 2011, 03:29:10 AM

Well, as one of the few active members left in Wanderers on Molinar, I can say the guild is effectively dead.  But, this is pretty typical of the Wanderers -- the name explains it all.  A few us remaining actives are probably going to switch guilds this weekend.  There are several very active guilds to join, so the server is far from dead.  I encourage you to keep playing.

The server is a ghost town.  I've been in Scarreach and droughtlands and there's been nights where I never saw one person doing quests, def or guardian.  Sunrest I can hop on, group up within mins of logging in
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 29, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »

As server's age the middle areas will always become ghost towns.

Most folks are running instances or raids or warfronts.

I can imagine a few of the newer servers having a lack of population but i'd imagine that combining guilds there's should be enough to continue having fun until Trion allows a move or people come back or new players join the game as it continues to be improved and content added.

WoW wasn't as big as it came to be in it's early days either...and it had less content by far in it's earliest months if i recall. 

Rift could easily still end up being a strong long term competitor to WoW with a big community.  I think it's pretty normal for community guilds to end up having some folks drift off and having to combine guilds or switch guilds when they reach raiding.

I play with the GWJ guild on shatterbone and we have the same issue.  We lose some 50s, some login less, but some are active T2 runners and warfront players and we're forming alliance with 3 other small guilds, merging the 50s from one into ours and allying with 2 others to populate raids starting, hopefully, tomorrow.

There are other guilds in your same position on any given server who would probably be glad to merge and or create an alliance channel with you and share vent and get into a raid setup with you.   

This is the kind of thing that will never happen with a cross server LFD/LFG tool though as it lets people skip the effort of making friends and alliances that matter and go straight to mindless loot whoring for no purpose other than mindless loot whoring.

Without it, those players with more to offer than logging in for some quick mindless loot whoring, are making some effort and building real community to accomplish their goals.  And the server is getting to know itself more and more.  And people are building friend lists...etc.

My guild doesn't have a 5th up for a T2? oh hey i'll just jump over to x's guild vent and see if they have someone LFG or try our alliance chat channel...fill it out with folks we're friends with.

It's rare i can't get something going fast if i try.  But sure, i could just login and bitch and sit around doing nothing saying wah wah...there's no group for me...

LFD/LFG tools are a total crutch for player fail or designer fail in the case of classes that are just the suck and nobody invites.  Thankfully, Rift doesn't have that 2nd issue.

Loyalty to a dying or dead guild is overrated.  If the wanderers is dying on a server, find a real or better guild to join...  I know if GWJ ends up dying, i'll jump in a heartbeat, cause i like the game and intend to stay in it and run raids.  With the ability of every class to fill multiple roles, there's really no worry about not finding a spot i enjoy fitting into.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 29, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »

Well said, Fuzz!

Steam profile
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: April 29, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 28, 2011, 02:47:57 PM

there's nothing wrong with the mmo though, it hasn't fallen slywink  You guys just really shouldn't have bailed for the new server sadly.  The queue were a pain in the ass, but holding off for a couple weeks and you'd be much happier.

Yeah, what guild are you in Hark?  Is it good?  I think you're on Defiant side, right?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »

I'm in Technologic on Defiant side.  Teggy, Naednek, MSDuncan and Soulchilde are also in the guild.  (Kato isn't, he's a strange one slywink )
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 01, 2011, 03:18:10 AM »

To Clarify, you guys are still on Sunrest? 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 01, 2011, 04:30:30 AM »

Quote from: Chesspieceface on May 01, 2011, 03:18:10 AM

To Clarify, you guys are still on Sunrest? 

yes
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 01, 2011, 06:42:29 AM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on April 29, 2011, 03:53:38 PM

LFD/LFG tools are a total crutch for player fail or designer fail in the case of classes that are just the suck and nobody invites.  Thankfully, Rift doesn't have that 2nd issue.

lol no. it's a tool to rid of archaic designs. do you play at 2am? i'm guessing not. tell ya what. hop on a server at 2am and find a group for a specific dungeon you want to run. i'll be waiting.

there is so much wrong with that statement. how does earth look from your fucking soap box? too bad it's the wrong one.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 01, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »

Jersoc why do you play MMORPGs when they clearly make you so angry?

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 01, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 01, 2011, 07:16:22 AM

Jersoc why do you play Games when they clearly make you so angry?

Fixed that for ya.  So much rage, seemingly always.  I think some people just can't be happy with less than perfection
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 01, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »

just cancelled. hit 50 and the endgame is very bleh.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05:16 PM »

As soon as I hit 50 I'll be trying another calling, and probably the other faction too.  One more level to go!

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 02, 2011, 03:34:14 AM »

I've been 50 for a long time, and this is the first mmo that I haven't had the urge to make a bunch of alts.  I'm still having fun with my main.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: May 02, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »

I went on a Mathos grind raid last night. Round and round we went, I sort of couldn't believe I was doing it. But in the end I got Baron pants and was able to make myself this (with +4 dex augment):
http://rift.zam.com/en/item/FC9787F10201010101/Sword-of-the-Order

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 02, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »

Mathos grind circuit cracks me up.  Thankfully i will be done before too long and can go back to ganking
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 02, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 02, 2011, 03:11:43 PM

Mathos grind circuit cracks me up.  Thankfully i will be done before too long and can go back to ganking

Kill anyone from the kill cult. Hate those guys. Especially the assassin dwarves.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 02, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »

Quote from: vizionblind on May 01, 2011, 09:32:42 PM

just cancelled. hit 50 and the endgame is very bleh.

I'm so baffled.  I still havn't gotten to kill a boss in GSB or RoS...we're just starting to try to get the raid assembled with my group/alliance.  But, i havn't stopped having fun with my main yet...the challenge is still there running the 5 mans....and a 10 man coming that's brand new in like 8 days....

The end game is totally the opposite of "bleh" to me as i keep getting better and better at playing my toon and help gear up guild mates so we can run raid.

I'm having fun with end game runecrafting too....i have almost all the available recipes now.  Only a couple left to find.  I supply nearly my entire guild with free level 50 runes and starter gear from the AH for jumping to T2 when they hit level 50....and i'm up to 780 plat saved in my bank:)

I'm so never bored!

Hitting 50 is where the challenge STARTS!

My Mage:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540640929729163143/638CEFEC5B3189E16A04DF85402EAA1FC823384F/

Said Mage's build:
http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z0Rz..EdIuohc0Ro.hRssRfbokrz

I've started a warrior alt on same faction/server, but have only got to level 14 and it's had full rest exp for a while.....i've just got no lack of things to do with my mage.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:21:37 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:37 PM »

Fuzz, that's a rather far-out hat your mage is wearing!

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 02, 2011, 06:20:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2011, 03:32:08 PM

Kill anyone from the kill cult. Hate those guys. Especially the assassin dwarves.

My ranger's pig is named Killcultsux
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 02, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 02, 2011, 06:20:59 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2011, 03:32:08 PM

My ranger's pig is named Killcultsux

thumbsup

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »

I've put my pig out then stealthed and waited for one of them to see it.  slywink  They can't resist the bait.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: May 02, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »

I started up again with my lvl 27 warrior on molinar...only to find out over the weekend that the guild is practically dead.  I have a defiant alt on estrael, a VERY low level mage alt on sunrest and 3 alts of varying levels on molinar.  i'm not sure whether to play the warrior to max or just start over somewhere else/concentrate on my defiant rogue.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: May 02, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »

we've got people on both sides (guardian and defiant) on Sunrest playing quite a bit.  Even have someone named Hepkat in my guild, that isn't you? slywink
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: May 02, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 02, 2011, 08:05:04 PM

we've got people on both sides (guardian and defiant) on Sunrest playing quite a bit.  Even have someone named Hepkat in my guild, that isn't you? slywink

No, and I demand you throw them out immediately!  How dare someone abscond with a name I absconded with from multiple sources?!  I request that you not only banish this heathen, but that you publicly humiliate them as well.  Then give their email address to jersoc so he can start a lengthy correspondence with this imitator on just how shitty Rift is!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 03, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

I checked out my alt on Sunrest last night and saw that I was still in the wanderers guild, but according to the roster only a couple of folks are active.  did you guys create a new guild on sunrest?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 03, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 03, 2011, 12:31:18 PM

I checked out my alt on Sunrest last night and saw that I was still in the wanderers guild, but according to the roster only a couple of folks are active.  did you guys create a new guild on sunrest?

We sort of jumped guilds via a merge. We're in Technologic now. It's a medium sized guild and looks to be hanging around for at least the near term. We are having scheduled T1 runs every friday starting this friday. However, weren't the Wanderers a Guardian guild? I think Blackadar is in a Guardian guild.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 03, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »

The Sentinels.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 03, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

I think I'm just going to do what I did on City of Heroes.  Create a guild in which I'm the only member and never allow anyone to join.   Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: