http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:25:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 76321 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: March 30, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »

Enough people have asked...

Server: Sunrest (RP-PVP)
Faction: Guardian
Guild: http://www.the-sentinels.net/

It's one of the largest guilds on the server and quite active. 18+ only. Message me in game for help. Hit that website and apply - it's not a long application process. Put my name as a referral if you want. Hope to see you in Rift!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: March 30, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »

How to make a Guardian feel guilty:

I was solo questing in Iron Pine and started fighting a mob. Noticed 3 Guardians rolled up on me. One starts jumping up and down on top of me.

Guardian 1: "We'll wait"
(I finish killing the mob)
Guardian 1: "OK, done"
(They start pounding on me. I just stand there because there's really no point in delaying it)
Guardian 2: "They did the same thing to me, I had to"
(Just about dead)
Guardian 2: "Sorry"

Corpse ran back, ashamed Guardians were gone.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 30, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 30, 2011, 02:15:57 PM

How to make a Guardian feel guilty:

I was solo questing in Iron Pine and started fighting a mob. Noticed 3 Guardians rolled up on me. One starts jumping up and down on top of me.

Guardian 1: "We'll wait"
(I finish killing the mob)
Guardian 1: "OK, done"
(They start pounding on me. I just stand there because there's really no point in delaying it)
Guardian 2: "They did the same thing to me, I had to"
(Just about dead)
Guardian 2: "Sorry"

Corpse ran back, ashamed Guardians were gone.

I don't believe in the 3 on 1 ganking stuff, but at least they were considerate enough to let you finish off your mob.  I've had a number of dickless defiant players attack me when I'm engaged in a mob or 3, or (worse) doing enough damage so that the mob killed me and I take soul damage.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 30, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »

Can someone help me figure out where exactly the Defiant/Guardian "worlds" overlap or where the "borders" are, so that I, the wimpy PvE gamer, can stop running into Defiants?  icon_smile It really doesn't seem clear in the game, or if it is marked somehow, I'm not seeing it. I'm used to the idea of a PVE server being a PVE server, but that's clearly not the case here. I suppose I should be able to tell by the name colors who's Defiant and who's a Rift monster and who's just a plain old NPC bad guy, but I still get confused and it seems like others are too (or they're just intentionally trying to trick people not interested in PVP into accidentally "setting off" their PVP "flags.")

The boxed retail version actually came with a pretty nice world map poster I've stuck up on my wall. If I can figure out where the "borders" are, maybe I can mark it there to remind myself to stop bumbling into PvP unintentionally.\
=================
As Jersoc mentioned, the Android authenticator (iPhone version's being finalized):
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?144676-Elrar-RIFT-Android-Authenticator-Now-Available!
Its our pleasure to announce the release of the RIFT Mobile Authenticator for Android devices (v1.6 or higher). As mentioned earlier we have been hard at work developing and implementing two-factor authentication for multiple mobile devices in order to provide additional security options for our players.

Two-factor authentication provides an extra layer of security making it much harder for insidious individuals to gain unauthorized access to your account, even if your computer has been compromised. This is an entirely optional (but highly recommended!) security measure that offers users invaluable extra protection.

Players can download the Mobile Authenticator at no cost from the Android Marketplace. In addition were finalizing a version for Apple devices running iOS 3.0 or higher, the free app will be available to players on iTunes upon its release. Well announce more details about the iOS version once its available and we hope to release additional versions for other platforms and devices in the future.

To use the authenticator simply run the patcher to login to the game as you normally would. When prompted, provide the code generated by the application on your Android device in addition to your username and password.

As always we encourage you to maintain a strong password even with the use of an authenticator. Never share your passwords with others and avoid links or sites you dont trust or are unfamiliar with.

Well continue to develop new ways to ensure your adventures in Telara are safe and secure so you can focus on enjoying the game. You can activate your authenticator in your account center and encourage you to share your feedback and questions in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:35:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 30, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »

I grabbed the authenticator and tested it.  Works just fine. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »

Basically...
Defiants go Freemarch-->Stonefield-->Scarlet Gorge --> Scarwood Reach
Guardians go Silverwood --> Gloamwood --> Scarlet Gorge --> Scarwood Reach

Then there's Moonshade which is sort of the same levels as Droughtlands.

There's kind of a dividing line halfway through Scarlet Gorge and a similar line in Scarwood. Once you are in those areas you are going to start running into the other faction often. Moonshade is also segregated for a while but converges at the end, and the rest of the areas share quest givers pretty much the whole way.

From what I understand on a PvE server as long as you don't attack the other factions wardstones you will stay unflagged?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 30, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 30, 2011, 02:50:23 PM

From what I understand on a PvE server as long as you don't attack the other factions wardstones you will stay unflagged?
What's happening is groups of both sides converge often on Rifts, or just general questing areas. And if you make an honest mistake (if I'm surrounded by 3 Defiant players, a mob of Rift creatures, and some regular zone enemies, mistakes happen) or apparently use an AOE attack near someone from the other side (I've learned to just use single target attacks if Defiants are near me), it seems to set the PVP flag off and then generally I'm a dead duck (tank or not, they tend to chop me up by sheer numbers).

It's mentioned in the chat window briefly that has system messages but I tend to be looking at my other chat tabs.

The other day I had that happen. After Soul Walk rezzing, I just decided to work on some gathering quests near the zone. I didn't realize my PVP tag was still "on," so I was promptly chopped up like so much Spam meat while in the midst of picking flowers. Fabulous It's pretty clear from my experience a lot of people on my PVE server are into PVP (Including in my own guild) regardless of how the server is labeled.

At this point all I can do is be more careful and move to another area when my questing zones get clogged with the other side.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:10:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »

5 Things Rift Does Wrong at MMORPG.com

I'm digging the game, but they make good points.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 30, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 30, 2011, 05:12:25 PM

Wow, that stuff sounds familiar.   Truthiness!

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=42553.msg754799;topicseen#msg754799

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 30, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 30, 2011, 05:16:34 PM

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=42553.msg754799;topicseen#msg754799

Trion should hire you to fix those things!  icon_smile
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 30, 2011, 05:50:09 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on March 30, 2011, 05:16:34 PM

Trion should hire you to fix those things!  icon_smile

Well, I am a business consultant...  slywink

Despite those issues, I till think Rift has got it going on.  Best MMO I've played since Vanilla WoW throughout all the levels.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 30, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »

Full 1.1 notes are up
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?145022-Rift-1.1-3-30-11-8-00am-PDT-4-00pm-BST

Something cool they added was the ability to unmerge groups if your smaller group temporarily joins a public rift raid.

Also thought this was interesting:

The crafting quest items Light Downy Cloth, Tough Silken Cloth, and Exquisite Cloth are now Bind on Pickup

I've mentioned I've picked up at least 3 of these and had no use for them. I guess people won't be selling them on the AH anymore. No mention of the steel drop, though  icon_evil

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 30, 2011, 07:52:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 30, 2011, 06:20:41 PM

Also thought this was interesting:

The crafting quest items Light Downy Cloth, Tough Silken Cloth, and Exquisite Cloth are now Bind on Pickup

Damn. Hope the one I had on the auction house sold before the patch...  icon_biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »

Bunch of threads on the forums about changes not being merged (like Flamespear still having a 6 second cooldown). Be ready for a few hotfixes...

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 30, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »

They stealth nerfed stealth.  How ironic.  http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?145637-Was-Stealth-broken
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 30, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on March 30, 2011, 08:51:14 PM

They stealth nerfed stealth.  How ironic.  http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?145637-Was-Stealth-broken

Yeah, I've been reading about that as well. It seems like that is a bug. There was some case where a higher level npc would not attack you because you were stealthed and it would just follow you around. They fixed that but seemed to have broken other things in the process.  I don't understand why they want people to see through stealth in the first place, though. You un-stealth when you do something, so even if a higher level character can't see you, you will be dead soon enough when you are forced to come out.

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 30, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »

Well, stealth probably was broken, I coup dance on top of mobs well over my level & not be detected, however it looks like they broke it in the other direction in that people are complaining that even fully upgraded and using elusiveness they can't get openers off on mobs.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »

Yeah its def broken.  I have a lvl 48 rogue and even with all of my tricks mobs see through and pop your stealth. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 30, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »

stealth was definitely broken before.  I would walk through level 50 dungeons stealthed and walk right through the mobs and grab resources.  Seems to be working for me at 50 when I come from behind though.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »

There is some speculation that it had something to do with patching out the ability to collect certain high level herbs from instances while stealthed, but it's just speculation.

There's another thread about bots going under the map to mine ore, which is pretty disturbing.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 30, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 30, 2011, 09:40:25 PM

There's another thread about bots going under the map to mine ore, which is pretty disturbing.

The 'Minecraft' creepers made it to 'Rift'?  paranoid
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:35 PM »

Jumped on my reaver for a bit. Ignore the whining on the main forums-basically it plays the same but you have to stop and drink between fights to top your health off. So really, they just made the class a little more expensive to play; can still handle mob groups just fine.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 30, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »

@Blackjack

I think you can change your default pvp flag settings so stray aoe won't flag you. Right-click your portrait, and there will be a pvp flag option.

Ale
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 31, 2011, 01:19:46 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on March 30, 2011, 11:22:33 PM

@Blackjack

I think you can change your default pvp flag settings so stray aoe won't flag you. Right-click your portrait, and there will be a pvp flag option.

Ale
Ew, thanks! You get a cookie. I figured I was missing something obvious -- I'm good at that.  icon_redface

Man, the patch notes tonight are longer than an un-edited Stephen King novel. I don't think you can make this many balance changes without someone getting seriously upset.  paranoid

*They added integrated video capture with quick upload to a YouTube account.
VIDEO CAPTURE
* You can record video through RIFT up to 3 minutes in length. If you add a YouTube account through the Settings menu, RIFT will automatically upload videos to that account!
* Type /record or press CTRL+Y to start recording. Use it again to stop!
* Small icons next to the minimap show when video is recording and encoding.
* Once encoding is complete, you will have the option to upload if you have attached a YouTube account.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 31, 2011, 02:12:55 AM »

Hey can someone else let me know if you've noticed any change in the sound FX, for the worse? My shield bashing now sounds like "thud, thud thud" and the various weapon slashing sounds seemed to have changed to a dull thud as well. While I didn't read about any changes in sound effects, I remember City of Heroes slipping a lot of sound FX changes into updates (most for the worse, as if the sound FX designer was trying to justify his job by having Something To Do).  icon_razz

I checked in the sounds menu and didn't see anything different settings wise.

I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination cause I have lots of movies from before today's patch, and the attack sounds don't sound like this.   confused

Also, they respec you, I think if you had on of the Warrior sets that had some major changes. I really wasn't prepared for that, and have had some clumsiness trying to get it to where I had it before. I'm trying a slightly different set up so far, and I'm thinking it was a mistake.  icon_redface

Playing
PC
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:42 AM »

The sounds seem to have been lowered in volume a lot or something. I could hardly hear cadence as well as one of my ranger casts.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 31, 2011, 04:19:26 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 31, 2011, 02:12:55 AM

Hey can someone else let me know if you've noticed any change in the sound FX, for the worse? My shield bashing now sounds like "thud, thud thud" and the various weapon slashing sounds seemed to have changed to a dull thud as well. While I didn't read about any changes in sound effects, I remember City of Heroes slipping a lot of sound FX changes into updates (most for the worse, as if the sound FX designer was trying to justify his job by having Something To Do).  icon_razz

Since the last patch my cleric's Justicar parry sound has gotten very noticeable and a bit annoying.  It's not a bad sound in isolation, but it's too loud for me to want to hear as regularly as I hear it (21.59% parry chance).  Sound definitely has been changed since pre-patch.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 31, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 30, 2011, 09:40:25 PM

There is some speculation that it had something to do with patching out the ability to collect certain high level herbs from instances while stealthed, but it's just speculation.

Same thing happened in WoW.  Level 60 rogues used to stealth into Scarlet Monastery and pick all the locks on the chests there.  It took maybe 10-15 minutes and you'd walk out with a half dozen BOE greens and a couple BOE blues every run.  It was hugely profitable and you could just do it over and over until they finally put timers on things and took many of the chests away.  

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: March 31, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »

Thanks for the sound-observations, guys, I thought I was going crazy.  icon_smile Well maybe I am, but not about the sounds...

Several threads about sounds, no dev responses as of yet (hopefully they are seeing all this, these are just some examples):

Sound Issues since 1.1
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?145748-Sound-Issues-since-1.1&highlight=audio+changed
2-H Weapon sounds changed?
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?145920-2h-Wep-Sound-is-changed&highlight=audio+changed
Warrior Sound FXs
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?147287-Warrior-sound-FXs...&highlight=audio+changed
1.1 Audio Changes?
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?145700-1.1-Audio-Changes&highlight=audio+changed

Guild mates noted that their stealth knife attacks now made extremely loud noises. While I found audio effects to be a bit weak in places before, I had no issues with the basic attack sounds. Assuming all the audio changes were intentional, it seems like trying to fix a problem that didn't exist.  icon_confused

As far as the world event, we ran into a bug (we all assume) with the mega-boss in Sanctum where her health meter simply wouldn't go below about maybe 20 percent, period. The invasion quest didn't indicate anything other than offering her and getting whatever she drops.  It was pretty comical to see an army of players trying to finish her off.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:32:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »

My Assasin is still struggling..at 47 now. I say struggling by meaning everything except questing. I'm going to finish this character off. And probably keep him as my Sanctum mule- Master outfitter.
Not sure what I'm going to roll next...but it wont be rogue.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 31, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »

My cleric is 47 now and I'm struggling to find quests.  They have all dried up in Stillmoor with quest givers having gray symbols over their heads.  Presumably those quests open up at 48?  I found some in Shimmersand but not many.  Used to be I was maxed at 25 in my log but now I have about 6 including one of the daily world event quests

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 31, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on March 31, 2011, 02:26:00 PM

My cleric is 47 now and I'm struggling to find quests.  They have all dried up in Stillmoor with quest givers having gray symbols over their heads.  Presumably those quests open up at 48?  I found some in Shimmersand but not many.  Used to be I was maxed at 25 in my log but now I have about 6 including one of the daily world event quests

There's an ton of quests in Shimmersand.  You probably missed a quest hub or two.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 31, 2011, 02:35:54 PM

Quote from: Elmo on March 31, 2011, 02:26:00 PM

There's an ton of quests in Shimmersand.  You probably missed a quest hub or two.

The number of quests in the port area in Shimmersand is overwhelming. I'm 47 and I just opened it up. You'll also find if you go back to Iron Pine there are 47 lvl quests if you haven't done them yet (go to the middle port), although I am stuck on a broken quest there.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »

From dev:
There was a bug that was introduced around the 17th March that could result in mobs being unable to detect stealthed players. This bug was fixed in 1.1; so Stealth is once again working as it did at release and in Beta. However were still not entirely happy with how it is right now, and we plan to make further adjustments to the detection rules for stealth players vs. both NPCs and players to reduce detection range i.e. itll be easier to use stealth. These adjustments are currently in progress and we hope to have them patched soon.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »

I've always been partial to bow characters (LOTRO, and just about very hack'n'slash RPG I've played), though I went with a tank in Rift and decided to just take it (if I've got the patience) to the level cap before I try anything else. Definitely I see a bow character next though.  icon_smile

While I thought being a tank would make me popular on Dungeon teams, that's only until you screw up or can't pull off what the group needs the tank to do (like dragging that infernal wolf away from the moonlight in RoF). Then they hate you.  *Fist Shaking* And actually, I never see any chat calls for tanks on dungeon groups anymore. People are only ever calling for a healer and more DPS. So I ended up not very popular afterall.  frown biggrin

What was interesting last night is the update forced a Soul respec on me I really didn't want (I liked my setup and had my ridiculous number of hotkeys configured as I liked). I decided to try a different 3rd soul (tried Void Knight and then Riftblade). And then I forgot I needed to re-train every skill to get them up to what a L36 should have, so things 4-5 levels below me from Rifts and invasions were pounding me.  smirk

What it did, in the end, positively for me was finally get me rethinking my soul points distribution, and skipping a couple skills that are superseded by later ones (i.e., buffs that can't stack on each other). I might even consider just pouring all my points into just Paladin, in one Role, and see how that works. I ended up burning a lot of time experimenting last night, and that's maybe a breakthrough for me in terms of finally really getting into that flexibility.

Playing
PC
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 31, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 31, 2011, 02:35:54 PM

Thanks.  Yeah I did a lot of quests pre-47 in Shimmersand.  Just not finding a lot of new ones yet.  Will also check Iron Pine as someone else suggested.  I have at least one broken quest there too.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 31, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 31, 2011, 02:56:17 PM

While I thought being a tank would make me popular on Dungeon teams, that's only until you screw up or can't pull off what the group needs the tank to do (like dragging that infernal wolf away from the moonlight in RoF). Then they hate you.  *Fist Shaking*

Yeah, the tank and the healer have a bit of a spotlight on them in dungeon groups, which is one of the reasons why DPS is so popular; harder for rest of the group to notice your competency. DPSers are usually pretty competent at complaining, however, if the tank doesn't do things exactly how they feel they should be done  icon_biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 31, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »

Just got an email from Trion about an event this weekend.

RIFT is holding a special Allies of the Ascended event. As my chosen ally, you can use this code to join me during the dates below, free of charge! Heed my call, and together we shall battle the Blood Storm!

Event Dates
10am PDT April 1, 2011 through 10am PDT April 4, 2011
Ally Code

QNDQ-HL63-22TW-K7NM-KC6Q

Visit www.RIFTgame.com/en/ally for instructions on how to apply your Ally Code.

The code listed can be used five times, so anyone on the fence, give it a try!
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 31, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »

Here's my code - five uses; first come, first served!

CDKE-REGG-ZCFL-Q6X6-YGL7

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 31, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »

This seems like a recipe for chaos (though I guess it's as simple as "if it works, you're one of the first 5, if it doesn't, it's used up"  icon_smile), though what the heck, here's my ally code:
Spoiler for Hiden:
RFQC-LQXR-2QWG-G3TP-LKPF

*You can presumably choose any server, but Akylios (PVE) is where I'm at as Guardian, fwiw, should you wish to say hello in-game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:53:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: