http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:11:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 76789 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 18, 2011, 08:38:00 PM

I thought mine said 8 minutes?   icon_confused

You need to read all the posts, not just every other one slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 18, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »

I thought mine said 8 minutes?   icon_confused

in any case, the game's going to go under soon, what with all the broken quests.   ninja2
I think what the fellas are saying is that it was at one time 8 seconds, due to a bug at launch, and has since been fixed to 8 minutes. I should maybe check my bank to see if I saved one. I recall receiving two of them (though I didn't get one for the cave quest we've been chatting about) much earlier, and selling off at least one. I just didn't see any use for them at the time, I hadn't seen any quests involving more than paddling around the water surface up to that point.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 18, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »

If you go searching the lake for the puzzle and loot, they are very useful (and you will get additional ones down there).

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »

in any case, the game's going to go under soon, what with all the broken quests.   ninja2

It's always SAID 8 minutes, but it was only 8 seconds.  There are not very many broken quests.  I'm almost done with all Defiant quests and there are two that are broken.  That's hardly enough to sink a game.  You guys are pretty amazingly harsh on games.  How do you ever have fun?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 18, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »

He was joking.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: March 18, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 18, 2011, 10:34:42 PM

He was joking.

my bad, I keep thinking jokes are supposed to be funny and make you laugh.  ninja
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 19, 2011, 04:17:53 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 18, 2011, 10:43:19 PM

Quote from: Teggy on March 18, 2011, 10:34:42 PM

He was joking.

my bad, I keep thinking jokes are supposed to be funny and make you laugh.  ninja

now now, little boo.  don't sulk because you're a little slow on the uptake.   icon_wink

Quote from: Teggy on March 18, 2011, 08:51:06 PM

You need to read all the posts, not just every other one slywink

sorry, stepped away midpost and didn't see the reply before hitting save.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:21:32 AM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 19, 2011, 04:39:53 AM »

So I upgraded my computer this week and went from playing the game on the low quality renderer to playing on high/ultra. Totally different game. I spent at least a minute just rotating around my turtle looking at the textures. Every time I would do something or look at something I'd see an effect I had no idea about.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 19, 2011, 05:05:56 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 19, 2011, 04:39:53 AM

So I upgraded my computer this week and went from playing the game on the low quality renderer to playing on high/ultra. Totally different game. I spent at least a minute just rotating around my turtle looking at the textures. Every time I would do something or look at something I'd see an effect I had no idea about.

It does look quite good in ultra.  Unfortunately while I can play on Ultra with no problems when I'm doing PvE, the framerate goes completely down the dumper in PvP.  No idea why -- perhaps more spell effects are swamping my video card?  Seems to be fine during invasions though, it's just PvP that completely chokes my frame rate.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »

On the lake quest in Gloamwood, it is worth noting that I had sold my water breathing potions, but abandoning the quest and retaking it resulted in me getting three more potions.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 19, 2011, 06:08:33 AM »

Quote from: Shkspr on March 19, 2011, 05:45:13 AM

On the lake quest in Gloamwood, it is worth noting that I had sold my water breathing potions, but abandoning the quest and retaking it resulted in me getting three more potions.

I drowned, but after getting the item I needed, so I was able to complete the quest  icon_confused
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 19, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »

You guys got any advice on the Werewolf boss in "DD" dungeon? The one where the wolf keeps running to the moonlight to gather strength? It does insane damage (even when I'm 25 and it's 22-23).

I was having fun on the dungeon team there until then. After about 5 wipes and me trying everything to drag the stupid boss out of the light fast enough for us to have a chance (ranged taunts don't work, but the wolf just doesn't "stick" on to me fast enough from plain old melee attacks), I "rage quit" (which I haven't done in probably a year) because a teammate kept harassing me about "dragging it out of the light faster," and other folks were leaving anyway.

I wanted to say, "No S***, Sherlock, I was picking freaking daisies! What do you think I'm trying to do?"  icon_evil But I was fed up, and usually when playing stops being fun, it's a good excuse to log off for a while.  disgust The worst part is I was so angry I logged off without visiting my corpse. I wonder if I lost all my armor now. Sigh.  icon_frown

Bleah. This is why I usually don't play the tank in MMOs, and don't enjoy Dungeon bosses. Too much drama, too many know-it-alls, not enough fun -- but it was great fun up to that point.

Maybe you need two tanks and two healers or something. We really only had one of each.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:13:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 19, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

Darkening Deeps guide at Rift Junkies:  http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/01/10/darkening-deeps-dungeon-guide/

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 19, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »

Re: werewolf
Spoiler for Hiden:
It's easiest if your tank has a stun/fear break ability. The werewolf will always stun/fear which keeps you from building enough aggro to pull him before he powers up. If you can break that initial stun he is easy to pull out of the light.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 20, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »

Crafting First on Shard  icon_biggrin   Sadly no achievement associated with it.  It was actually surprisingly easy.  From what I can tell every combination of enhancement and recipe must trigger a new Shard First -- there is no way I was the first one to craft a Cobalt Hauberk, but in combination with a Wyvern's tail for Wisdom and Endurance, score, shard first.

Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 20, 2011, 01:51:27 AM »

Gratz.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 20, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »

I've had a few firsts on Kelpmere server. Most have come from getting a drop(item)that no one has up to that point.
pretty sure I've seen a couple of firsts for my crafting as well.

I like it. Makes me smile.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 20, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

Most of my firsts were killing NPC's in Guardian noob area  ninja
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 20, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »

I moved on past Gloamwood. Had a really fun PUG with a slightly higher level player last night, and we finished off the questing there (I'm skipping the dungeons, though it's a bummer to have gotten so close to finishing one of the DD quests).

Demon Steps in the next zone seems to suffer from some really awful time-delay lag (combat, conversing with NPCs, everything). Seemed like everyone on my server had the issue all weekend (some of us ATI, some of us NVIDIA, so we don't think it's a specific card issue). We've reported via Feedback and GMs, hopefully they'll figure out a code fix for it. I've taken all the stuff there off my quest tracker for now. I joked it felt like a PBEM turn-based game there.  icon_razz I think it has something to do with the elevation changes there.

I always love shield-charging/bashing type skills. I think the Paladin's Shield charge (in this one you actually make a lengthy flying leap and sprout wings -- though I think these are "metaphorical" wings, right?  icon_cool) is the funnest I've seen since Titan Quest.

*I get a little crosseyed keeping track of my buffs. I assigned as many as I could to Function Keys (F7-F12).

Enjoyed it so much I had to share a little movie on YouTube, just for GTers (not publicly posted, so I'm "hiding" it in spoiler  paranoid):
Shield Charge in action

I do wish I could realistically play with the UI off or more minimalist. I'm more comfortable with bigger icons though (bad vision).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:37:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 20, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Or me today in Stilmoor, you dick.  slywink

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: March 20, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »

Splendid vid, Blackjack!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 20, 2011, 08:10:26 PM

I did see the name, thought you were on a different server... not that it would have changed my options.  I got 450 prestige off ya!  Thanks.  I also got a chuckle off the last kill when instead of fighting back you just typed 'Fuck off!'  good times.

What amuses me about today Blackadar, is that I killed you, then another guardian, then another, then you again, then the second one again, and so on.  If at any time you three had talked to each other and coordinated, I'd be dead and move on. 
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 21, 2011, 02:28:13 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2011, 11:03:36 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on March 20, 2011, 08:10:26 PM

I did see the name, thought you were on a different server... not that it would have changed my options.  I got 450 prestige off ya!  Thanks.  I also got a chuckle off the last kill when instead of fighting back you just typed 'Fuck off!'  good times.

What amuses me about today Blackadar, is that I killed you, then another guardian, then another, then you again, then the second one again, and so on.  If at any time you three had talked to each other and coordinated, I'd be dead and move on. 

The mage and I finally did kill you.  I got a nice blue from it too - that helps the ole' epic mount contribution fund.  Thanks!  smile   

The problem is that my PvE build is awful for PvP.  There's no use even trying in PvE spec - I could be killed by a level 40 in that spec because it's all predicated on mutli-target pulling/healing.  I was only able to kill you when I switched over to my PvP build.  Overall, I do prefer to live and let live...even on PvP servers.  Then again, that's probably why I play a cleric.   Getting ganked in Southern Stilmoor is a PITA though, because the resurrection point is so damn far away.  It takes 10 minutes just to get back there.  (grumble)

Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 21, 2011, 02:28:13 AM

...Overall, I do prefer to live and let live...even on PvP servers...

The other day I came across a Defiant at about half health while questing.  We stood there for a second eyeing each other, and I decided to let him live.  A couple minutes later while I was fighting a mob he came back at full health and killed me.  Never again.  I will kill any Defiant I can now regardless of the situation.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 21, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on March 21, 2011, 10:55:25 AM

Quote from: Blackadar on March 21, 2011, 02:28:13 AM

...Overall, I do prefer to live and let live...even on PvP servers...

The other day I came across a Defiant at about half health while questing.  We stood there for a second eyeing each other, and I decided to let him live.  A couple minutes later while I was fighting a mob he came back at full health and killed me.  Never again.  I will kill any Defiant I can now regardless of the situation.

Yeah, it happens. 

Since I play on a RP server, I RP an honorable Guardian character and try to adhere to that character.  I hit level 50 last night and still have yet to initiate PvP combat with anyone under my level outside of a warfront or in a full-blown raid/invasion.  Of course, as a squishy cleric, I generally try to avoid PvP since it usually doesn't end in my favor.  smile

We found a 50 Guardian rogue sneaking around ganking mid-40 Defiants in Stilmoor yesterday right outside the quest area.  To a man, we told him to go fight people his own level and to get the hell out of there.  I guess we shamed him enough that he moved on. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 21, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »

The lag-delay in Demon Steps and the Gorge lifted last night. I only realized it by accident when I slid down from the western side to try doing a hunt there and it worked OK. So I caught up on a lot of quests late last night. The one where you get a temporary "flame thrower spell" to take out "mindless zombies" is pretty fun.  icon_twisted

I bookmarked this older dev post listing all the Dungeon Instances (though given my experience Saturday, I may not be inclined to do any again any time soon  icon_razz):
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?105572-Zor-The-Dungeons
I've seen a couple different threads asking about the level ranges for our 5-man instanced dungeons, so here ya go!

5-man instances currently available in Rift:

Standard Difficulty Dungeons Available
- Realm of the Fae (16-17) - Silverwood
- Iron Tomb (18-19) - Freemarch
- Darkening Deeps (22-23) - Gloamwood
- Deepstrike Mines (25-26) - Stonefield
- The Foul Cascade (29-30) - Scarlet Gorge
- King's Breach (34-35) - Scarwood Reach
- Runic Descent (39-40) - Moonshade Highlands
- Fall of Lantern Hook (43-44) - Droughtlands
- Abyssal Precipice (49-50) - Iron Pine
- Charmer's Caldera (49-50) - Shimmersand

Expert Difficulty Dungeons Available
- Realm of the Fae (50+) - Silverwood
- Iron Tomb (50+) - Freemarch
- The Foul Cascade (50+) - Scarlet Gorge
- King's Breach (50+) - Scarwood Reach
- Fall of Lantern Hook (50+) - Droughtlands
- Darkening Deeps (50++) - Gloamwood
- Deepstrike Mines (50++) - Stonefield
- Runic Descent (50++) - Moonshade Highlands
- Abyssal Precipice (50++) - Iron Pine
- Charmer's Caldera (50++) - Shimmersand
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:45:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 21, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 21, 2011, 12:12:43 PM

We found a 50 Guardian rogue sneaking around ganking mid-40 Defiants in Stilmoor yesterday right outside the quest area.  To a man, we told him to go fight people his own level and to get the hell out of there.  I guess we shamed him enough that he moved on. 

highly doubtful.  i'm guessing you just scared him with numbers.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 21, 2011, 01:56:42 PM

I will say that one nice thing about PvP in this game is that you can communicate with the other side.  I still won't do it since I don't want to be questing and some guy come kill me and give me a possible 10 minute walk back to possibly get killed again and get no questing done, but I can see how cross-side communication would be beneficial.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 21, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »

well, makes it easier to arrange for big battles - although, I Have no idea whether the server would be able to handle 50 vs 50  in pitched battle.

I've led such things in both warhammer and WOW, and its awesome fun!

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 21, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 21, 2011, 02:33:55 PM

I Have no idea whether the server would be able to handle 50 vs 50  in pitched battle.

I see no reason to believe otherwise.  I've been involved in fights during those massive invasion events that probably numbered close to a hundred players in the same area, and it was remarkable how well the game handled.  Trion must have some impressive servers!

Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 21, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »

* So what sounds solid for a 2-handed sword guy who's tank-y but not mega tank-ish, in terms of Souls? I guess I'd want to have a lot of parrying skills/passives if possible, and maybe the pet class (Beastmaster) to take some punishment off of me.

I'm happy with my warrior atm, but i guess at some point I should actually take advantage of the second role (I have one, just haven't developed per se).

* Is there any skill that does knockback for warriors? Maybe it's in a soul I don't have atm.

I was thinking some sort of knockback might've helped me in dealing with that DD Dungeon wolf boss I mentioned, if I could knock him back out of the light instead of whacking him, backing up and trying to get him to follow (he wouldn't respawn to any ranged taunt-type skills afik) -- that just took too long. Of course, maybe we can't knock back bosses, in which case my question is a moot point.  icon_redface I also realize that what was also happening was he was casting "confuse" on all of us, basically sending us in random directions (I'm not really crazy about completely losing control of my character, but it does motivate you to choose skills that remove or alleviate it). I had no points in the skills/passives to deal with that, as I rarely encounter it during non-dungeon content or Rift invasions.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:07:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 21, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »

Champion soul has 2H skills, and Thunderous Kick which is a knockback you can get with as little as 6 points in that soul.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 21, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »

You can use knockback skills on bosses, but in my experience they tend to resist far more often than not.

Steam profile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 21, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »

So funny, I was using my stealth build yesterday for this first time with real graphics and I was surprised to see that I was actually stealthed smile With low graphics mode when you go into stealth you just kind of hunch over and that's it.

The game is actually really pretty - there are some great mountain views that I couldn't see at all before and the trees in Scarwood Reach are really cool. I went and played my Guardian assassin and the flaming beasts right at the start of Silverwood are amazing. I need to go  back and visit areas I haven't seen in a while just to see what they look like smile

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 21, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 21, 2011, 01:56:42 PM

Except we're also Guardians, so our numbers meant nothing. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: March 22, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »

Although I'm on a PvE server, I guess I stumbled into some limited PVP yesterday against Defiants tackling a rift in the southern Rocky Gorges.  I guess I should've noticed some of the Red Names didn't spawn out of thin air.  icon_razz I just waded into a bunch of them, thinking they were the usual Rift fodder. Oops. It definitely got confusing having regular enemies, Rift creatures, and PVP enemies in the same area.  confused

A bud I made (at least for the evening) pointed out to me the dyes vendor just past the AH in Sanctum. I had no idear.  icon_redface

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 22, 2011, 04:19:05 PM

Although I'm on a PvE server, I guess I stumbled into some limited PVP yesterday against Defiants tackling a rift in the southern Rocky Gorges.  I guess I should've noticed some of the Red Names didn't spawn out of thin air.  icon_razz I just waded into a bunch of them, thinking they were the usual Rift fodder. Oops. It definitely got confusing having regular enemies, Rift creatures, and PVP enemies in the same area.  confused

A bud I made (at least for the evening) pointed out to me the dyes vendor just past the AH in Sanctum. I had no idear.  icon_redface

You having no idea about something in a game after playing a while isn't a bad thing. It tells me one, that you're enjoying yourself too much to notice..and two, there is so much cool stuff to see and do the question of gear dying never comes to mind...Either way its a good reflection on Rift..  thumbsup

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 23, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »

Had fun playing for a bit, but the balance issues in pvp just have taken there toll on me, canceled a few days ago, and im 90% sure ill just let it stop. No use in playing something your not having any fun at all playing. Did a /who Stillmoor today at 6pm, yep 6 people, 2 was from our guild, wow just wow.

Scott
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:46 AM »

The game is a lot of fun, it is also pretty much a complete game, which given many MMO releases is refreshing. There is a lot to be added I think, and balance issues will be ongoing. 

Given there are a gazillion soul combos, nobody should be surprised that there are balance issues, especially in PVP and high end raiding.  I've heard a few people complain that the pve is lacking, or balance issues; it is a new game, you can't expect the polish of WOW on day 1 (or day 30).  I am enjoying it for what it is and am happy I don't have to deal with something broken at release.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 23, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »

What the hell is all the drama on the official forum about?  I missed these mythical patch notes.  From what I can gather from the madness, it seems a couple of classes may get nerfed in the future.  I may be overestimating the average MMO community here, but is that really what's got everyone up in arms?

Steam profile
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: