http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 12:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 78975 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: March 15, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »

Yeah, I'm enjoying the freedom that this system gives.

I have a Rogue as my main.

I can dps...or I can tank.....I can even give buffs that usually associated with clerics or Paladins of other MMO's..
And this is all done when ever and where ever you want.

Should be a fun experience plummeting the depths of character evolution.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 15, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 15, 2011, 07:17:49 PM

Should be a fun experience plummeting the depths of character evolution.

Freudian slip there?   icon_lol  I think you meant "plumbing the depths". 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 15, 2011, 09:19:48 AM

Quote from: jersoc on March 15, 2011, 08:44:38 AM

I beat the game.

Feels good to hit 50 finally. I fucking ran out of quests half way through 48. So i basically grinded on rifts.

I'm confused how you could run out of quests.  I've been 50 for a couple days and still have a zone and a half of quests plus dailies to do.  Also, 50 isn't 'beating the game' but I have a feeling you know that.

cause there are so many broken quests in this game. it's fucking insane.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 15, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 15, 2011, 08:00:08 PM

I beat the game.

Feels good to hit 50 finally. I fucking ran out of quests half way through 48. So i basically grinded on rifts.

I'm confused how you could run out of quests.  I've been 50 for a couple days and still have a zone and a half of quests plus dailies to do.  Also, 50 isn't 'beating the game' but I have a feeling you know that.

? I haven't seen a single broken quest and I've only heard of one possible one (monster wasn't respawning) through 33 levels. I've done every single quest in Freemarch, Stonefield and Scarlet Gorge, including the epic story quests.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 15, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 15, 2011, 08:02:09 PM

I beat the game.

I'm confused how you could run out of quests.  I've been 50 for a couple days and still have a zone and a half of quests plus dailies to do.  Also, 50 isn't 'beating the game' but I have a feeling you know that.

? I haven't see a single broken quest and I've only heard of one possible one (monster wasn't respawning) through 33 levels.

Which side and which levels?  I have yet to run across even one broken quest through Scarwood (1-35) on the Guardian side.  I'd like to know what to watch out for if there are some in the 35-50 range.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 15, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »

no broken quests for me, on either defiant or guardian side.   icon_confused

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »

I agree about the genius of the soul system.  I've been playing an assassin/blade dancer; even at relatively low level (23) the paring works really well. With most points in 'sin, just 8 into BD gives a no cooldown instant react, a high damage offhand follow up attack, and 100% chance to have a reactive attack with both weapons when you dodge. Add to that an ability that temporarily increases dodge by 50% and it's an awesome damage increase. I'm having a ton of fun with it!
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 15, 2011, 08:02:09 PM

I beat the game.

I'm confused how you could run out of quests.  I've been 50 for a couple days and still have a zone and a half of quests plus dailies to do.  Also, 50 isn't 'beating the game' but I have a feeling you know that.

? I haven't seen a single broken quest and I've only heard of one possible one (monster wasn't respawning) through 33 levels. I've done every single quest in Freemarch, Stonefield and Scarlet Gorge, including the epic story quests.

Jersoc always has problems with MMOs. He's one of the unluckiest guys I've seen.

Ale
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

I beat the game.

I only encountered one quest with a glitch (didn't give me credit for a boss kill).  I just waited for the boss to respawn, killed him again and got credit for it.  That's 61 levels of questing - 46 on Guardian and 15 on Defiant - and one glitch that was easily fixed.  

It's interesting that you've experienced so many issues in this game that pretty much no one else has experienced.  Are you sure you're playing Rift?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 15, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »

He probably thinks it a Bioware game

edit: Sorry - F'king Bioware game...

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 15, 2011, 08:36:02 PM

He probably thinks it a Bioware game

edit: Sorry - F'king Bioware game...

icon_lol

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 15, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »

I beat the game.

I've run into 2 broken quests, both in Stillmore.  You sir, are doing it wrong.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 15, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 15, 2011, 09:19:45 PM

I beat the game.

I've run into 2 broken quests, both in Stillmore.  You sir, are doing it wrong.

From lvl 1-50, I have come across only 2 Daily Quests that are currently broken

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »

I hope you guys are reporting the broken quests (is that a /bug command line thing?).  icon_smile I don't think I've run into any to this point, although the first time my quest-giver NPC died in a Rift/invasion swarm, I remember thinking "HEY? How do I turn this quest in?" He eventually respawned, as I remember it, but if you're newbie, it can be disconcerting.

So I really dig the shield block animations on my Warrior tank (enjoyed that in LOTRO too), think I'm going to max out points in the skills related to blocking (one soul has one to increase block %, the other has one to decrease the amount of damage taken for a successful block, something like that), and I got a cool chest armor from the planarite (is that the spelling?) vendor with a hefty plus to blocking.

But what's the deal with shield scarcity? I don't see any in the auction houses when I've checked. Haven't seen any shield recipes to this point but I'm not really focusing on crafting at all. But I haven't seen a shield quest reward since the early levels (I'm L21). What hoops do I have to jump to actually get a cool looking shield (a kite shield, a tower shield, anything) instead of this square pie-pan I'm still using, huh?  icon_confused icon_smile

And can someone warn me what to expect in the area called "DD", well, without spoiling it? I just got that yesterday. Thought it might be good to know what kind of resistances are good there. I need to work up my spell-resistances too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:26:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »

At the moment the only bug I have noticed is with channeling spells; they behave oddly sometimes, and my guild has noticed the same.  Apart from that the game is rock-solid.  It's incredibly impressive given it's less than a month old.

Blackjack, you can report a bug in-game by clicking the support button on the lower-left (default layout).

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »

The only bug I see is the death animation for most human npc's.  They actually look like they're swooning and not dying, as if they're having a case of the vapors or something.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 15, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »

They're just hammy actors.

Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 15, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »

Every now and then I see what looks like some sort of magic circle on the ground, with a few orbs floating around above it.  What are they?

Steam profile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 16, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 15, 2011, 11:59:54 PM

Every now and then I see what looks like some sort of magic circle on the ground, with a few orbs floating around above it.  What are they?

Think that's maybe where a necro summoned a pet. They seem to linger a bit after the pet has spawned.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 16, 2011, 12:16:48 AM »

Ah!  I'll look out for that.  Thanks.

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 16, 2011, 12:30:52 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on March 16, 2011, 12:12:19 AM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 15, 2011, 11:59:54 PM

Think that's maybe where a necro summoned a pet. They seem to linger a bit after the pet has spawned.

it's actually either a marksman pedestal or a pyro grounding spot
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 16, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »

BTW, for the Defiant questing types, a word of advice. Unless you are really into dungeon runs, do all of the saga of the endless quests in Scarlet Gorge before running Foul Cascade, especially since getting an FC group can be challenging. I jumped into an FC group last night, then I went to drop off what I thought was the last saga quest in the area, but it turned out that it spawned two more quests that had me ending up in...Foul Cascade. So now I'm going to have to find another group to finish it off.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 16, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »

I was sifting through the Rift forums just now. A dev pointed out the Telarapedia wiki on the game, its command line stuff in particular:
http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Commands
*Clearly, the "You burp loudly at <target>" chat line is one I need to assign a macro for.  icon_razz

So far I just use the Macro to do some fun chat and emote macros (you just type the slash command in the little command window, pick an icon, and boom -- much preferable to the command-line only gymnastics I had to do to bind keys in other games over the years). I wish there were some more icons to chose from for your button, cause it's hard to find one that's visually appropriate from the limited selection.

You can create public or private chat channels, though it seems like sort of a stealth feature in that if you didn't look it up, you probably wouldn't know that.  icon_smile
-----------
btw, judging from the dev tracker there are in fact a fair number of bugs:
http://forums.riftgame.com/forumdisplay.php?249-Dev-Tracker
I'd agree it doesn't seem to reach the level of being "insane", fwiw.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:46:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 17, 2011, 12:22:57 AM »

This needs a 1 week trial.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 17, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »

As if Crafters heard my pleas, my server's auction house finally had lots of shields last night. I got a thick one (+block modifiers are in short supply it seems, except on L30+ shields):

I don't know if it's the weekdays, or people rolling alts over and over, but in the 20-29 Guardians zone on Akylios there just haven't been many other players around (although the server itself is labeled as crowded/busy on the server list) since the weekend. Not a big deal except the Toxic dungeon I'd like to do, and it's hard to tackle any big Rifts without other players around.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:28:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 17, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on March 17, 2011, 12:22:57 AM

They had a month long trial. called open beta
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 17, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on March 17, 2011, 12:22:57 AM

I assume the issue with free d/l trials is simply affording all that bandwidth for downloading of huge client files, which is why a lot of companies ask Fileplanet and the like to host their free-trial downloads.

I haven't seen any mention of free trials at the official forums so far. My hope would be they'd find a hosting partner for the trial client download at some point and make it available, at least for a limited time.

fwiw, I never tried Rift for one second during open beta. I needed to see some feedback from non-hardcore MMOers and people who didn't live and breathe WoW to convince me (in various places not just the GT forums), cause WoW never did anything for me (I played it about 3 weeks around its launch). I think Rift has really broad appeal, and not just for the hard-core MMO set even if that's certainly the key market. icon_cool

btw, I bought Homefront yesterday, installed it, played 5 minutes and then said... "Dammit! I wanna be playing Rift!"  icon_smile So Homefront will have to wait -- sorry, THQ!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:28:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 17, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 17, 2011, 12:13:01 PM

As if Crafters heard my pleas, my server's auction house finally had lots of shields last night. I got a thick one (+block modifiers are in short supply it seems, except on L30+ shields):

I don't know if it's the weekdays, or people rolling alts over and over, but in the 20-29 Guardians zone on Akylios there just haven't been many other players around (although the server itself is labeled as crowded/busy on the server list) since the weekend. Not a big deal except the Toxic dungeon I'd like to do, and it's hard to tackle any big Rifts without other players around.

Did you name your character after Jaromir Jagr!   saywhat  eek retard slywink

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 18, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on March 17, 2011, 09:03:30 PM

Did you name your character after Jaromir Jagr!   saywhat  eek retard slywink
I'm a Washington Caps fan so no, I'm not inclined to memorialize our worst free agent signing ever... well, along with Michael Nylander.  Roll Eyes

I think Blackjack was taken, and while I sometimes throw "GT" in my title, I'd gone with a server I figured nobody else here would be playing on. So I just tried another variant -- though I hope on an alt eventually to hang out with some of youz GTer guys.  icon_smile

--------------
Another noob question: Do we have to totally reset souls points in order to be able to replace just ONE soul with another? I'm happy with two of mine on my tank, but I'd like to maybe replace Reaver with Rift Blade. I can preview Rift, but I don't seem to see a way to just swap out that single soul.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 18, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 18, 2011, 03:01:44 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on March 17, 2011, 09:03:30 PM

Did you name your character after Jaromir Jagr!   saywhat  eek retard slywink
I'm a Washington Caps fan so no, I'm not inclined to memorialize our worst free agent signing ever... well, along with Michael Nylander.  Roll Eyes

I think Blackjack was taken, and while I sometimes throw "GT" in my title, I'd gone with a server I figured nobody else here would be playing on. So I just tried another variant -- though I hope on an alt eventually to hang out with some of youz GTer guys.  icon_smile

--------------
Another noob question: Do we have to totally reset souls points in order to be able to replace just ONE soul with another? I'm happy with two of mine on my tank, but I'd like to maybe replace Reaver with Rift Blade. I can preview Rift, but I don't seem to see a way to just swap out that single soul.

Yes, however it's easy & cheap to do.  Buy a second role early & use that one to experiment with.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: March 18, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »

I guess I'll just take a screenshot of my other souls' points distribution (I feel relatively happy with 'em) screens, and sort of replicate them that way then.

Anyone have any issues with the new "coin" system last night? It did for some reason label me as having logged in from a new location, and I hadda type in the code when I logged in this morning (not last night). I guess maybe it just does that for you once automatically as confirmation? Judging from the dev tracker at forum, some players reported some exploits already and Trion will have to probably do another hotfix on the feature.

They also made some adjustments to the aggro range of enemies much lower than you (reduced it) so hopefully people will not get knocked off their mounts by grey cons so much anymore.

btw, if you're new to the game, save those "underwater breathing potions" you get early. You have at least one situation where they are very helpful at L24, and I found it helluva challenging to do a certain underwater quest without that (I sold mine much earlier  icon_redface). Having to rush to and from the surface to gulp in air made for some real suspense though.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:39:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 18, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 18, 2011, 04:36:36 PM

I guess I'll just take a screenshot of my other souls' points distribution (I feel relatively happy with 'em) screens, and sort of replicate them that way then.

Anyone have any issues with the new "coin" system last night? It did for some reason label me as having logged in from a new location, and I hadda type in the code when I logged in this morning (not last night). I guess maybe it just does that for you once automatically as confirmation? Judging from the dev tracker at forum, some players reported some exploits already and Trion will have to probably do another hotfix on the feature.

They also made some adjustments to the aggro range of enemies much lower than you (reduced it) so hopefully people will not get knocked off their mounts by grey cons so much anymore.

btw, if you're new to the game, save those "underwater breathing potions" you get early. You have at least one situation where they are very helpful at L24, and I found it helluva challenging to do a certain underwater quest without that (I sold mine much earlier  icon_redface). Having to rush to and from the surface to gulp in air made for some real suspense though.  icon_cool

I didn't realize it but that quest also gives you a water breathing potion too.  I never saw it until later but about 2 levels later I was looking in my bank and had two of them  disgust  I got through that quest by getting to the end and then dying...got outside and back to air during the soulwalk smile
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 18, 2011, 04:36:36 PM

btw, if you're new to the game, save those "underwater breathing potions" you get early. You have at least one situation where they are very helpful at L24, and I found it helluva challenging to do a certain underwater quest without that (I sold mine much earlier  icon_redface). Having to rush to and from the surface to gulp in air made for some real suspense though.  icon_cool

Hah!  I know the very quest you speak about.  Just did it a couple of nights ago.  That was very tricky and suspenseful without a potion, but added to the fun.  I was just lucky somebody was in the cave with me and had cleared several of those mermen out so I could cruise through it.  I'm on the Molinar server, Guardian side, with the Wanderers.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 18, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »

It was funny but sad when those potions only gave you 8 seconds of water breathing.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 18, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 18, 2011, 07:10:04 PM

It was funny but sad when those potions only gave you 8 seconds of water breathing.
Really? I genuinely thought it turned us into Aqua Man... or something like that.  smirk

What I did on that was go in, off one gill-man (whatever that creature's name), dash back to the surface; lather, rinse, repeat. It was tricky cause the way the path twists, I would sometimes panic on the way back to the entrance and briefly feel lost (there's one "dent" in the wall that initially feels like the passage). Then when I hit the last guy in there, I had to "kite" him all the way back to the exit and surface or I wouldn't have made it, breath wise.

While I was doing that, a group of 3 other players just waltzed in and got the shard (didn't seem to be a public group I could join). It spawns quickly I guess, so I was able to get it fine by the time I reached the end. It was a pretty fun and unique little experience, actually. Although if one of the souls offers a scuba gear skill, I'm there!  icon_razz

I got some nice armor with a strong block modifier on it on a quest (maybe that one, or one near it), which pleased me. I'm kinda bummed I can't "salvage" the planar (planarite?) armors. Most of what I'm salvaging is spitting up copper, but I need more tin bars and have just been lazy about mining.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:31:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 18, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 18, 2011, 07:28:56 PM

Although if one of the souls offers a scuba gear skill, I'm there!

One of the cleric souls does, actually!

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »

huh? its 8 minutes...

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 18, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 18, 2011, 08:09:50 PM

huh? its 8 minutes...

Now it is. When the game first released they were bugged.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 18, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »

heh - 8 seconds of water breathing - awesome! :-D

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »

I thought mine said 8 minutes?   icon_confused

in any case, the game's going to go under soon, what with all the broken quests.   ninja2

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: