http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 72849 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 10, 2011, 07:12:33 PM

I have yet to see a big budget movie who got the mounts right for the era of Knights.

They were not thorough-breds. They were huge, heavy horses. Much more like Belgian's, Clydesdale's or Shire's.

Heavy hoofed, wide as a country mile, big boned..........so yeah, you might say compared to the thoroughbred's they might seem fat.

They also had to "crane" the riders, who were in full plate, on to them. Can you imagine a skinny horse built for speed bearing up in a mucky, foot-fall filled battle field with big men in full plate armor on their backs?

I was actually talking about the big boned dino mounts they sell in sanctum.  they're not really horses.  i just wanted a horsie but was impatient and bought a Dino before realizing I could've had Black Velvet.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 10, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 10, 2011, 06:18:23 PM

Any thoughts on a decent soul-combo if you wanted to be sort of a, well, Aragorn warrior type, while still being durable enough to tank a bit? (big old two hand swords) I assume you'd want to have some parrying and good armor-buff-stats. My first role is definitely more of a tank-tank-tank Paladin type.

I believe the Champion soul specializes in 2H weapons.  If you are level 10 then you only have 3 souls and it would be pointless to buy another role.  At level 13 you can start doing the quests for more souls.  Once you have the other 5 regular souls then you can think about another role.  In the meantime it is much cheaper to go to the trainer and 0 out your soul points and swap a soul or two in your first role to see how they play.  Also, you can swap any soul that has 0 points without paying to 0 out the other points you have spent.  Hope that helps.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »

quick question that may have already been answered and i'm just an idiot...but when i zero out a soul, replace it with another, then come back to that soul later, do i have to repay a skills trainer to train up the skills from the soul that I dropped then added back later?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 10, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »

They also had to "crane" the riders, who were in full plate, on to them. Can you imagine a skinny horse built for speed bearing up in a mucky, foot-fall filled battle field with big men in full plate armor on their backs?

I've heard from medieval historians that this is a popular untruth (the craning bit).  Maybe it did happen, but definitely wasn't the norm.  The logic is that if you're going to ride into battle, you really want to be able to re-mount your horse if you get knocked off.  If an armored man isn't able to re-mount on his own, he's probably going to be pretty immobile on the ground too, and that's just asking for trouble.

I want a fat horse!   crybaby

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 10, 2011, 07:41:18 PM

I want a fat horse!   crybaby

THIS will be all our enemies see...

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: March 10, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 10, 2011, 12:35:22 PM

Quote from: jersoc on March 10, 2011, 11:57:48 AM

omfg they better be changing the grey mobs aggroing you and the expose thing is just plain bullshit. i cant believe that even made it in the game.

There's a reason for that.

there's a reason to make travel annoying and making you question the developers? Love to hear it.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 10, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on March 10, 2011, 07:25:38 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 10, 2011, 12:41:54 PM

What's exposing, precisely?

It's a debuff you get when you try to flee from too many mobs gang-banging you. It increases the damage they do to you and can even stack. I heard it can really be a problem for repositioning tanks (I wouldn't know as I usually play a healer).

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 10, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 10, 2011, 07:38:24 PM

quick question that may have already been answered and i'm just an idiot...but when i zero out a soul, replace it with another, then come back to that soul later, do i have to repay a skills trainer to train up the skills from the soul that I dropped then added back later?

I'm almost positive you don't have to pay again.  I think I tested it myself during headstart.

Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 10, 2011, 08:23:07 PM »

I have yet to see a big budget movie who got the mounts right for the era of Knights.

They were not thorough-breds. They were huge, heavy horses. Much more like Belgian's, Clydesdale's or Shire's.
Yeah, but what about giant, two-headed turtles? Did the Knights have those? Tell us some stories.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »

* Players are now automatically bound to the Soul Recall point of the first Porticulum Master they speak to.

Want my 6g back
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 10, 2011, 07:55:44 PM

Quote from: Razgon on March 10, 2011, 12:35:22 PM

Quote from: jersoc on March 10, 2011, 11:57:48 AM

omfg they better be changing the grey mobs aggroing you and the expose thing is just plain bullshit. i cant believe that even made it in the game.

There's a reason for that.

there's a reason to make travel annoying and making you question the developers? Love to hear it.

Its there to prevent high level players just gobbing up every resource and artifact in lower level areas, leaving little to those that actually quest there.

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 10, 2011, 08:23:07 PM

Yeah, but what about giant, two-headed turtles? Did the Knights have those? Tell us some stories.  icon_smile

No, but I'm sure after a few hours in the local pub many of the horses looked that way to them.....

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 10, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 10, 2011, 04:01:35 PM

i just feel silly riding around on a snuffleupagus...i ride into warfront and all i hear from the defiant side is laughter and calls for me to "let bert and ernie know they're next".

I actually got stopped in Scarlet Gorge last night by someone who wanted to know where I got my cool dinosaur mount.  I got it because I thought it would be fun to be a bit different.  I was also a bit nervous about getting the horse after my Age of Conan experience.  I spent so long saving money for an AoC mount and when I finally got it I thought the whole feel of the mount was all wrong.  It probably didn't help that I had recently been playing Red Dead Redemption, which IMO did a terrific job making riding a horse feel like riding a horse.  But somehow AoC horses just don't feel like horses -- LotRO horses are much better.  I'm not sure what's off.  I think it's the speed of the gait, perhaps along with the audio.  Anyway I figured I wouldn't have the slightest idea what it felt like to ride a dinosaur, so I wouldn't end up feeling dissappointed.  Go Dinosaur Mounts!
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 10, 2011, 10:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 10, 2011, 05:34:57 PM

Now that I've finally finished off Stonefield they add more iron nodes?  *Fist Shaking*

My thought exactly.  Gloamwood had a serious shortage of iron, and I just finished it two days ago.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 10, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »

Just did my first run through Iron Tomb.  We were cheating (had a level 43 healer) and it still took well over an hour.  Lots of fun though, I really appreciate all the work that was put into it, but man, not sure how many of those I have in me.  And I just realised I didn't finish all the quests inside. frown

Steam profile
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 11, 2011, 12:49:36 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 10, 2011, 06:34:04 PM

Maybe instead of drawing Aragorn as a comparison I should've just said "a Warrior that uses a 2 hand sword most of the time."  icon_smile

You'll want to consider the warrior soul champion, then. They get bonuses for 2-handed weapon. They are an offensive soul, so you'll want to look at a defensive one as well. Void Knight or Warlord maybe.

Ale
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 11, 2011, 02:58:58 AM »

We have an OO/GT based guild on Estrael now. If you have a character on Estrael do a /who Solipsis and get an invite.  icon_biggrin

Edit: Defiant side
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:28:19 PM by Gryndyl » Logged

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 11, 2011, 05:07:35 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on March 11, 2011, 02:58:58 AM

We have an OO/GT based guild on Estrael now. If you have a character on Estrael do a /who Solipsis and get an invite.  icon_biggrin

Are you playing Guardian or Defiant?
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 11, 2011, 05:40:21 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on March 11, 2011, 05:07:35 AM

Quote from: Gryndyl on March 11, 2011, 02:58:58 AM

We have an OO/GT based guild on Estrael now. If you have a character on Estrael do a /who Solipsis and get an invite.  icon_biggrin

Are you playing Guardian or Defiant?

Defiant
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 11, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »

I finally ran into some decent Defiant players last night in the Droughtlands.  I'm a little high level for the questing there (41), but I decided I'd rather do that than continue in Iron Peak.  Interesting that just 10 levels ago I was having problems with finding quests and now I could have skipped an entire zone, but I digress...

Anyway, bunch of high 30s Defiant running around, yet we had no problem leaving each other alone to quest and even helping each other closing Rifts.  Even though a couple of stray shots went awry (I had to kill one guys pet when he had it on me rather than the Rift boss), we still managed to coexist.  It was fun stuff because you still had to keep an eye out for the Defiant questing next to you, but it was a live-and-let-live kinda night.  Probably didn't hurt that I was 3-4 levels above most of the Defiant. 

I gotta push up the levels as we have a scrum scheduled against one of the biggest Defiant (Acolytes) guilds next Friday.  I want to be close to 50 for that event...should be somewhere between 5 and 7 full raid groups all clashing at once between our two guilds.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: March 11, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 11, 2011, 02:26:35 PM

I finally ran into some decent Defiant players last night in the Droughtlands.  I'm a little high level for the questing there (41), but I decided I'd rather do that than continue in Iron Peak.  Interesting that just 10 levels ago I was having problems with finding quests and now I could have skipped an entire zone, but I digress...

Anyway, bunch of high 30s Defiant running around, yet we had no problem leaving each other alone to quest and even helping each other closing Rifts.  Even though a couple of stray shots went awry (I had to kill one guys pet when he had it on me rather than the Rift boss), we still managed to coexist.  It was fun stuff because you still had to keep an eye out for the Defiant questing next to you, but it was a live-and-let-live kinda night.  Probably didn't hurt that I was 3-4 levels above most of the Defiant. 

I gotta push up the levels as we have a scrum scheduled against one of the biggest Defiant (Acolytes) guilds next Friday.  I want to be close to 50 for that event...should be somewhere between 5 and 7 full raid groups all clashing at once between our two guilds.

Sounds like a blast........

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »

I haven't so much as sniffed at a Defiant character. How is the Defiant side of things?(from someone who's played both)

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 11, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »

So, chasing all these Rifts and invasions (I mean this as a compliment) does remind me a lot of Planetside, and of Tabula Rasa's base defense events. When I hear that flute (or whatever play) and the warning some area's being attacked, I think of TR in particular, which had a similiar "OH SHI* I better get over there" feeling.

Now it makes me think if those games had wrapped up those concepts in something more appealing to the large fantasy MMO player base and with this kind of easy-to-use public grouping system, they might've had something.  icon_smile

I do enjoy all that in Rift, and feeling heroic if I feel like it, or just sticking with my basic questing if I don't. icon_smile And def it's nice to be able to just "add yourself" to someone if you see they're going after the same objectives. People don't seem to mind and while I still wish players were a bit more sociable, it's definitely cool to be able to do that.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 11, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 11, 2011, 02:38:03 PM

I haven't so much as sniffed at a Defiant character. How is the Defiant side of things?(from someone who's played both)

I have a defiant rogue build over on the estrael shard that i took to lvl 18 before switching over to my warrior in the wanderers.  at that point, I hadn't encountered any crossover so it's unique enough to warrant a play through with another alt.  i'll probably go back and work with the rogue when i need a break from the warrior.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 11, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »

I always feel so guilty when I decide I'd rather focus on questing than helping fight off invasions or close rifts.  I feel even more guilty after seeing an invasion successfully take out the wardstone at the front of Sanctum last night.  I was kind of disappointed that the invaders then didn't make a push into the main city.  It was pretty chaotic clearing them out, since by the time a bunch of PCs had gathered, there were probably four or more invasion groups hanging around.  I also managed to aggro the entire clump while trying to pull a small group with one of my AOE spells.  That was an oh shit moment if ever I've see one.  smile

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 11, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »

The ascended power that summons some extra troops to attack an enemy foothold is great when there's nobody around and you're under pressure.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 11, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »

they've extended the Founders Plan pricing offer until the 31st.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »

I'm tempted.  I did switch over to the 3 month plan, but that 6 month pricing is pretty nice.

Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 11, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »

I went with 6 months.  Could easily see myself playing 4 months more so at that point it is the same price to take the 6 month plan.  Equivalent of 2 months free.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 12, 2011, 07:36:29 AM »

Here's a page that shows where the chests & puzzle in the Lake of Solace are, I got 3 purple items, a blue and several greens on my lvl 15. 

Maps & waypoints, the Lake of Solace is the second post in.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 12, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on March 12, 2011, 07:36:29 AM

Here's a page that shows where the chests & puzzle in the Lake of Solace are, I got 3 purple items, a blue and several greens on my lvl 15. 

Maps & waypoints, the Lake of Solace is the second post in.

should have waited to get the items later.  They scale to your level up to a cap for each zone.  Think the lake ones are level 30 items if you are at or above 30.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:59 AM »

Overcaffeinated, played til 4:15 a.m. Ummm. Discovered my Warrior had several toggles that I was instead mashing as hotkeys, and a 1-hour effect skill that I was also mashing as a frequent hotkey.  icon_redface Somewhere around L15 he's smashing things a little more animatedly it seems. Got a 2-hand nasty sword that's almost as big as those comical things in the late Dungeon Runners. I love it, hopefully will work up a 2nd role around it soon.

Speaking as a solely PvE guy, I really like the mix of quest, rifts, invasions. It's not rocket science, but I never feel bored, and I can always do one thing or another to break things up. It's a good sign if I intend to play something an hour and 5 hours go by and I forget where the time went. Not good for my health, but speaks well of the game.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 12, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 12, 2011, 09:34:59 AM

Speaking as a solely PvE guy, I really like the mix of quest, rifts, invasions. It's not rocket science, but I never feel bored, and I can always do one thing or another to break things up.

Yeah, this is one of Rift's greatest strengths.  And just think, it can only improve from here too as they implement their own long-term plans and player ideas.

Has anyone seen any other ascended powers other than Augment Wardstone, Planar Lure and Defiant's Flare?

Steam profile
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 12, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »

I've now run across a random spawning mob/quest that drops a blue (one for each member in the party even) and one of the puzzles (shields on a well in a fortress you have to move) that gives a class and level specific blue reward.  There are tons of little, secret and easily overlooked things everywhere including artifacts in the most obscure places. 

I really wish they would introduce weather to the general zones especially given how cool it the weather system is in instances.

Heavy dislikes: Expose system (needs to go away completely) and close to every mob has a ranged attack (also needs to be toned down about 90%).  It's clear a lot of the mobs have multiple souls which really sucks considering we are Ascended and considered "special" which is why we have multiple souls.  If close to every humanoid mob in the game has multiple souls (or at least skills from different souls) then it kinda kills immersion and lore.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 12, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »

I'm sure I've seen it rain in Stonefield, but apart from that I haven't seen any weather at all.

Steam profile
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: March 12, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »

Quote from: ericb on March 12, 2011, 01:26:18 PM

Heavy dislikes: Expose system (needs to go away completely) and close to every mob has a ranged attack (also needs to be toned down about 90%).  It's clear a lot of the mobs have multiple souls which really sucks considering we are Ascended and considered "special" which is why we have multiple souls.  If close to every humanoid mob in the game has multiple souls (or at least skills from different souls) then it kinda kills immersion and lore.

Can someone explain the "Expose" system?  I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I have no idea what it is or what its implications are.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 12, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »

It's a debuff you get when you try to flee from too many mobs gang-banging you. It increases the damage they do to you and can even stack. I heard it can really be a problem for repositioning tanks (I wouldn't know as I usually play a healer).

Edit: Basically it's a penalty for running away from fights, but since the debuff stacks it's even worse when you're running through a field of mobs.

Steam profile
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 12, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 12, 2011, 01:52:29 PM

Edit: Basically it's a penalty for running away from fights, but since the debuff stacks it's even worse when you're running through a field of mobs.

Thanks.  I guess I'm not reading this thread as closely as I thought  icon_confused
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 12, 2011, 03:31:07 PM »

It's a busy thread!  Must be a good game, eh, silent fence-sitters? slywink

Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 12, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »

Hey they sent us packing for a server update just now.  icon_smile

I'm always wary of "forum effect" where everyone gets all lathered up about something and then 2 months later nobody's playing it. I have a better long term feeling about this.  icon_smile

I even find myself thinking SWTOR would be more interesting if it... not that it needs "rifts" and such, but couldn't you maybe see some Imperial transports dropping into the world out of nowhere for "invasions" and stuff? I see some things other games should flagrantly copy, just for fun factor and variety.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: