http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:10:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 77852 times)
Alefroth
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 02, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »

I think I'm already seeing a slow down of participation in public events, at least in Freemarch. I passed by a lot of uncontested invasions and rifts. Maybe I'm just in a leveling blindspot. If I go back and seal rifts that I can solo, I wonder how that will affect my reward.

Ale
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 02, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on March 02, 2011, 11:01:42 PM

I think I'm already seeing a slow down of participation in public events, at least in Freemarch. I passed by a lot of uncontested invasions and rifts. Maybe I'm just in a leveling blindspot. If I go back and seal rifts that I can solo, I wonder how that will affect my reward.

Ale

I've taken on few (whatever you call it when the Guardians build a stone) solo and the results are kind of meager. Reward goes down a lot when the enemies are significantly below you.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 02, 2011, 11:23:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 02, 2011, 11:04:39 PM

Quote from: Alefroth on March 02, 2011, 11:01:42 PM

Ale

I've taken on few (whatever you call it when the Guardians build a stone) solo and the results are kind of meager. Reward goes down a lot when the enemies are significantly below you.

footholds are only worth a handful of planarite, especially at lower levels.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:47 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 02, 2011, 09:50:56 PM

His character name is "Kato". Kill him lots.

We put the fun in funeral

Don't make me.....  slywink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 03, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »

A whole bunch of stealthed Guardian rogues were hanging out near Denegar's Stand. I noticed this guy with a yellow name participating in a rift. Screw that, I killed him. However he was (??) and he killed me two times later on, once with his friend.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 03, 2011, 04:13:36 AM »

The rifts were opening like crazy earlier today on Molinar.  Good fun.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 03, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »

This post has very little educational value, but..I can't wait to get off from work and get home and play :-D

A new one
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #927 on: March 03, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 02, 2011, 04:40:16 PM

it works as in you can do it.  It doesn't help anything.  It does irritate me though because it's simply annoying in every game it's in.  Throws out all immersion (and some games barely have any to begin with). I'd love to see someone make a spoof war movie with everyone bunnyhopping while fighting.

It would be great to see something like this in future patch notes:
  • If you bunnyhop too much, you'll start losing mana/power.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 03, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 03, 2011, 02:07:28 PM

This post has very little educational value, but..I can't wait to get off from work and get home and play :-D

Same here Raz.  I was evangelising the game to Tals last night, and I was telling him that I haven't been so excited by a MMORPG since Guild Wars.  I was initially sceptical of Rift, until I actually played it (Roll Eyes) and realised how great it is.

Last night there was a massive invasion event in Freemarch.  I wish I'd thought to take a screenshot; the map was just filled with rifts and enemy units, and the skies blackened.  There was a huge rush to defeat all of Jakub's lieutenants and return these stones to a certain point where they could be used to stop the invasion.  Basically an enormous game of capture-the-flag.  It was exhilarating!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 03, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »

Say - why is it I never see you guys online? Do you play really late? OR is something about the friends thingie broken? I'll look for you guys tonight again though :-)

A new one
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: March 03, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 03, 2011, 02:32:41 PM

Same here Raz.  I was evangelising the game to Tals last night, and I was telling him that I haven't been so excited by a MMORPG since Guild Wars.  I was initially sceptical of Rift, until I actually played it (Roll Eyes) and realised how great it is.

Last night there was a massive invasion event in Freemarch.  I wish I'd thought to take a screenshot; the map was just filled with rifts and enemy units, and the skies blackened.  There was a huge rush to defeat all of Jakub's lieutenants and return these stones to a certain point where they could be used to stop the invasion.  Basically an enormous game of capture-the-flag.  It was exhilarating!

I, on the other hand, was making shoes....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 03, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 02, 2011, 04:40:16 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

does bunny hopping actually work in this game?  I've seen people doing it during Rift events.

it works as in you can do it.  It doesn't help anything.  It does irritate me though because it's simply annoying in every game it's in.  Throws out all immersion (and some games barely have any to begin with). I'd love to see someone make a spoof war movie with everyone bunnyhopping while fighting.

Its just freaking stupid!!!

Scott
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 03, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »

Just made it to the Sanctum(city). Everytime I turn around there is another NPC with another Item I can buy. I've never seen so many ways to get gear. A bit confusing at the moment.
I'm a level 12 Rogue(riftstalker-Assasin-Bladedancer) got stealth last level. Stealth is on a timer, so becareful where you creep.  paranoid

I'm just going to take my time and slowly digest everything. After all it wont be too long before everyone is doing things second nature in the game. Learning new stuff is most of the fun of a new MMO to me. We all know eventually they all come down to the same dynamic...PvP=gear PvE=gear.

Having fun. Not a big lover of the art work yet. The colours are a bit bland and muted for what I like, but I guess they're going for realism as much as they can.

Its a well done MMO there is no doubt about it. If it keeps a substantial player base for a long period of time I can see this game evolving into a great MMO with good longevity.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 03, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 03, 2011, 03:00:26 PM

I'm a level 12 Rogue(riftstalker-Assasin-Bladedancer) got stealth last level. Stealth is on a timer, so becareful where you creep.  :I'm just going to take my time and slowly digest everything.

i just realized last night that the two "stun" abilities that a nightblade and an assassin can get can be used at the same time.   icon_eek  One is ranged, and the other is like Sap from WoW (meaning you have to get next to the mob).  I was taking out mobs of three last night without breaking a sweat after finding that out. 

I am lovin' the rogue class, needless to say.   icon_biggrin

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 03, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »

Quote from: Fez on March 03, 2011, 04:13:36 AM

The rifts were opening like crazy earlier today on Molinar.  Good fun.

it was cool, unfortunately they were spawning where I was trying to level and most of the mobs were 5 levels higher than me.  I also noticed a lack of groups getting together in the area I was in (west/northwest of Sanctum) which made me getting a planar shard for a soul quest a pain. 

their layout of zones for different levels is different than WoW.  I noticed that is just north of the college is mostly level 17+ mobs even though you first get to the college around level 10.  it's kind of neat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #935 on: March 03, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »

I am on as Reemul, most evenings but not as much last few days due to real life commitments.

I really want a guild for this now, just not sure how to weed out the wheat from the chaff.

Not really seen you or Huw on much either though, could just be a time thing.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 03, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »

I made an alt on the Wanderers preferred server last night, asked for (and received) an invite to the guild; but to be honest I've spent so much time with my defiant rogue over on estrael that it's tough for me to pull myself away from that one.  any chance of a splinter guild starting up on that shard?   icon_wink

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 03, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »

Raz, I think I've only ever seen you and Reemul on once.  I messaged you both and got no reply. frown

Reemul, I've just joined a casual-friendly guild on Icewatch called Umbral Dragoons.  Nice bunch.  If you like casual you should join - I think they're open to raids and instances but they're definitely not hardcore.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 03, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 03, 2011, 04:16:31 PM

Raz, I think I've only ever seen you and Reemul on once.  I messaged you both and got no reply. frown

one thing I've noticed is the text chat seems to fly by quickly, especially when the flavor text for Rift events starts popping up.  I haven't tried setting up a separate chat tab for tells; I wonder if it'll light up when it's active.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 03, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »

Yeah, I think Ceekay is right, Huw - I'll set up a different tab today for chat messages - and let me know if the guild turns out to be okay. As Reemul  noticed, its damn hard to find out what guild could be fun to be in, and I agree - a guild would be awesome!

What levels are you guys?

A new one
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 03, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 03, 2011, 04:04:25 PM

I made an alt on the Wanderers preferred server last night, asked for (and received) an invite to the guild; but to be honest I've spent so much time with my defiant rogue over on estrael that it's tough for me to pull myself away from that one.  any chance of a splinter guild starting up on that shard?   icon_wink

Wargus and I are on Estrael as Defiant also and I believe a few others are as well. We should definitely have a guild of some sort there. I know chesspieceface from OO has characters there. Think Ceekay has at least an alt there. Certainly enough for a guild smile

I nominate you to start it biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #941 on: March 03, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »

yeah I set up a new tab last night for tells and chat because there is a lot going on and it is easy to miss.

I am now level 18, yeah casual sounds good, I will look you up tonight if you are on.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #942 on: March 03, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 03, 2011, 04:22:31 PM

Yeah, I think Ceekay is right, Huw - I'll set up a different tab today for chat messages - and let me know if the guild turns out to be okay. As Reemul  noticed, its damn hard to find out what guild could be fun to be in, and I agree - a guild would be awesome!

What levels are you guys?

What is your new toon called as I only have Miraell?

I also have a toon called Shannow i am playing on and off.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 03, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »

Oh, you need my name as well :-D

Im playing on Khergan, Demosthenes and Miraell as well...yeah, I'm still completely unable to decide what to play smile

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 03, 2011, 05:09:15 PM »

I tried setting up a new channel for guild chat but unfortunately you get no notification that there's new text there.  A glaring omission, and one I hope the devs fix ASAP.

Raz, at the moment I'm a level 16 cleric.

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 03, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »

Ah - nice... my warrior is only lvl 9, and my cholormancer is lvl 19 though :-)

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 03, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on March 03, 2011, 04:35:24 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 03, 2011, 04:04:25 PM

I made an alt on the Wanderers preferred server last night, asked for (and received) an invite to the guild; but to be honest I've spent so much time with my defiant rogue over on estrael that it's tough for me to pull myself away from that one.  any chance of a splinter guild starting up on that shard?   icon_wink

Wargus and I are on Estrael as Defiant also and I believe a few others are as well. We should definitely have a guild of some sort there. I know chesspieceface from OO has characters there. Think Ceekay has at least an alt there. Certainly enough for a guild smile

I nominate you to start it biggrin

Good lord, you DO NOT want to hand me that much responsibility.  You'll find the guild name changed to something like "The Powerpuff Consortium" one night after I've had a few Becks.

I'm not a heavy gamer and my attention span wanes over time in these things, but if you guys are fine with having some casual players in your guild, I'd join up in a heartbeat. 

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 03, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »

So I was just about to do the school run this afternoon, when who should turn up at my door?  The postman!  That's right, my lovely CE has arrived, earlier than expected, and full of lovely shiny stuff!  It is a very nice collection.  Oh, it's minus the USB drive as Trion said it would be, but after filling in a simple form on the website it's now in the mail.  I also got all those other sourcestones as promised and the Gnar Hatchling companion.

To be honest, the best part is I can continue playing uninterrupted, rather than missing tomorrow evening as I'd been expecting. smile

Steam profile
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 04, 2011, 03:53:15 AM »

I have to say that I actually enjoy playing more now than I did when I started (including betas).  It's familiar but new and the soul system is fantastic.  My biggest problem now is deciding which character I actually want to concentrate on since my third is now approaching 20.

Some cool things I've noticed:
Buildings get darker when you enter them (if they don't have interior lights)
The weather in instances is fantastic (run Realm of the Fae, no spoilers)
The water and waterfalls actually look like water (looking at you LOTRO)
The zones actually seem to blend in with each other naturally (looking at you WoW with jungle to desert in 3 steps)
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 04, 2011, 05:16:54 AM »

A random tip for crafters: there's an NPC who sells augments for planar credits.  For Guardians he's near the loom in the Sanctum crafting area.  He sells augment gift boxes for all levels of crafters.

Prices are Novice 20 Planarite
Prices are Skilled 80 Planarite
Prices are Expert 250 Planarite
Prices are Master 500 Planarite

I had no idea he was there.  I haven't checked out what's actually in the gift boxes, but at least on Corthana the augments available in the Auction House are all the very lowest quality giving +1 to stats.  So I was very happy to discover an alternate source for augments.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 04, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »

BEHOLD!  My faithful Gnar Hatchling!

He follows me everywhere.  Ahhhh!

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 04, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »

I'll stomp him!!

I ran Iron Tomb last night at lvl 20, with a few lvl 21's - it was pretty fun, and pretty fast actually and some nice loot and stories.  I was surprised that we actually managed to 4-man it, but then again, 2 clerics, a rogue who tanked, and me as a chloromancer meant we rocked the place. Who needs tanks anyways???

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 04, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »

Due to them finally fixing the bug that made it hard to get credit for closing a rift, I was able to finish up the first set of epic story quests in Freemarch. Those anchors are a PITA, but people are being pretty good about getting pickup groups together and helping people even after they've finished one part of a quest. Got my achievement for 103 quests in Freemarch.

Now I've got quests in Iron Tomb that I'll hopefully handle with a guild group this weekend and I'll get back to chipping away at Stonefield. And I need Iron, which I haven't seen at all yet. I assume I will start running into it deeper in Stonefield.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 04, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »

Quote from: ericb on March 04, 2011, 03:53:15 AM

I have to say that I actually enjoy playing more now than I did when I started (including betas).  It's familiar but new and the soul system is fantastic.  My biggest problem now is deciding which character I actually want to concentrate on since my third is now approaching 20.

Some cool things I've noticed:
Buildings get darker when you enter them (if they don't have interior lights)
The weather in instances is fantastic (run Realm of the Fae, no spoilers)
The water and waterfalls actually look like water (looking at you LOTRO)
The zones actually seem to blend in with each other naturally (looking at you WoW with jungle to desert in 3 steps)

I'm in the same boat.  I'm enjoying the game more in the 30s than I did in the teens back in beta. 

For example, last night I started off questing and did great with my new spec.  I also helped out in a couple of rifts and an invasion.  Then I joined a group for the level 30 instance (can't remember it, but it's in Scarlet Gorge), switched specs to my healing spec and we cleared that.  It was tough and I needed an off-healer, but after a rough start we did great.  Then we formed a PvP group and got facerolled in BG (5 man premade vs. 10 man premade = loss), jumped into Codex and won a couple of matches there (one by only 10 points).  Then I went to bed.  It was an awesome night of RIFTing.

The soul system just absolutely makes this game.  I went from a purely ranged Inquisitor spec to an Inq/Justicar spec like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10rdG.VuMo.ViobGx  Needless to say, I can wreck 3-4 mobs at once - though it takes me the same amount of time to kill just 1.  smile   It sucks in PvP - I'm dead one on one - but I can quest very effectively.  Then I have a healer spec that's heavy Purifier.  And I'm soon going to get my 3rd spec so I can have a PvP healer - more of a Sentinel/Warden/Templar spec.  And there are so many other possibilities I'd like to try, never mind 3 other classes!  Lovin' it!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 04, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 03, 2011, 02:32:41 PM

I got the game - pretty much on your recommendation, though I am seeing a lot of love for this.

I am on Shivermere, Defiance for PVP and plan to set up on your PVE server, what faction did you go for.

Not sure how my game time will pan out as LOL is a huge draw for me but I am sure I can manage 2 games in my life. Played 40 mins this morning and it was very slick

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 04, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »

(PR still holds fiercely to his wallet.. he concentrates like a Buddhist or Jedi Master (take yer pick).. until Payday arrives. He finally allows his wallet to gently open like a blossoming lotus flower. Credit card floats out and swipes itself onto the credit card reader)  icon_lol

You bastages have pulled me in. I'm now the owner of a 'Rift' account (Thanks, faide!). See you in game this weekend!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 04, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »

bought a horsie last night.  well, a gazelle.  or whatever the hell the drow on the defiant side ride around on.  also had my first major invasion.  Dengara Strand (spelling?) was overrun with demons last night and I died about 4 times trying to clean it out.  there were about 12 other players doing the same but it took quite some time.  the screen was just inundated with the bastages.  i'm really impressed at the lack of lag in that situation, by the way.

i'm still playing on estrael, but I may check out the wanderers' server this weekend.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 04, 2011, 02:38:22 PM »

Yay, congratulations to the new victims!  Tals, really glad you went for it.  I'm Lianna (Defiant) on the Icewatch server.  I'd love to run with you but don't feel obliged to play on a PvE server just for my sake, mind.  I do have a guild now anyway.  What character did you create on Shivermere?

Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 04, 2011, 02:35:17 PM

also had my first major invasion.  Dengara Strand (spelling?) was overrun with demons last night and I died about 4 times trying to clean it out.  there were about 12 other players doing the same but it took quite some time.  the screen was just inundated with the bastages.  i'm really impressed at the lack of lag in that situation, by the way.

Was that the only foothold attacked?  Wait until you see...whatever the hell it was that I was involved in the other night.  Pretty much every single place in Freemarch was under attack at the same time.  You could barely see any land on the map, it was so covered in rifts and enemy units.  How much was your mount?  I haven't looked at them yet since I've been riding around on my turtle of doom.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 04, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 04, 2011, 02:38:22 PM

Yay, congratulations to the new victims!  Tals, really glad you went for it.  I'm Lianna (Defiant) on the Icewatch server.  I'd love to run with you but don't feel obliged to play on a PvE server just for my sake, mind.  I do have a guild now anyway.  What character did you create on Shivermere?

Eth is it? Mage smile Character name tals. No problem at all creating a character on both - I suspect I'll end up on the pve server unless Rift was designed with the pvp from the ground up. Really don't like being randomly ganked!

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: