http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 07:20:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 79540 times)
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »

Quote from: Grimwar on January 30, 2011, 06:57:34 AM

For me it's the atmosphere....

Yes, great point.  Between rifts, invasions, and footholds it does feel much more alive than any other MMO I have played.  I feel a sense of urgency when a rift opens that makes me want to stop what I'm doing and go help close it.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2011, 07:12:26 AM

yep, this game definitely feels more alive than WoW.  it seemed like everywhere I went you could see signs of war, it really felt like a conflict was going on.

Yea this is what really clicked with me. In Wow you do see fighting but its just animations, here the invasions move, killing everything they run into. Dont go AFK on a road ever smile Is it better? No. But Wow has 6 years of time behind it. Is it the Next Gen of MMOs? Nope not at all but it does have enough to keep me going for a bit im sure.

And thanks Elmo for getting the guild started and for all your help this last beta smile

Scott
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »

Rift appeals both to people who like and those who dislike WoW.  It's similar enough to be a go-to game when you're bored of WoW, but different enough - whilst retaining many of the good features of WoW - to appeal to those who are looking for something a little different too.  Christ knows I wouldn't be playing if it was just WoW with a new paintjob.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 30, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

Quote from: Falcon554 on January 30, 2011, 01:27:26 PM

...And thanks Elmo for getting the guild started and for all your help this last beta smile

My pleasure.  I've had more fun with each beta and will be happy to keep the guild going as long as there are people who want to play.  Folks who want to join us should consider creating a Wanderers account for Vent access.  That will help a lot when we group up as it looks almost certain we will be playing on a PvP server at launch.  I'll get the Defiant vs Guardian poll going in our forums after Trion releases revised racial buff info, hopefully with the next beta.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:04:31 PM by Elmo » Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »

I enjoyed when Kato and I were trying to duo a foothold and the local mobs respawned and joined in to help us.  We were fighting side by side with a treant and a goblin to take out an invaders foothold.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 30, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »

I enjoyed it though it's not without flaws. I stuck my impressions up here.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »

Nicely done, but i would point out that beta 5 already had the 8th soul in game i think
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »

Yeah 8 PvE and 1 PvP available.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »

Did it? I just looked at the list on the official site so if soul 8 was in then their web guys need a little slappin' around  icon_biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »

I can confirm the mage had a soul called Chloromancer that's not listed on their site, and Rogue had the Bard soul.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »

Chloromancer is great fun btw, my mage is a Chloro/Necro and has heals on both sides with life and death magic.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »

Quote from: Falcon554 on January 30, 2011, 01:27:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2011, 07:12:26 AM

yep, this game definitely feels more alive than WoW.  it seemed like everywhere I went you could see signs of war, it really felt like a conflict was going on.
Is it better? No. But Wow has 6 years of time behind it. Is it the Next Gen of MMOs? Nope not at all...

Don't be afraid and just say it, Rift IS better in a number of aspects compared to WoW.  And it should be, because it's been a long time since we've seen something better.  The graphics are more detailed and have greater sense of depth/range.  The overall environment is more vivid and alive, as already described (this is how I imagined Horizons might have played out with NPC faction/AI being a real part of the game).  The class system is more varied and allows for far great customization; for most people that means better.  They've combined some of the better features of games like WoW and WAR and created a solid new MMORPG experience.  They haven't taken the risks and innovations that it sounds like GW2 may be gunning for, but at least they've gone a step in the right direction beyond most other conventional MMORPGs.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »

Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun during the Betas on the Briarcliff server, although I'm trying not to play myself out before it actually starts.  My toons are Spectre and Starbuck, and I've been doing a lot of crafting (Spectre - weaponsmith, Starbuck - Outfitter).  If anyone sub-20 needs any gear that I can make, let me know for the next beta.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2011, 09:47:05 PM

I can confirm the mage had a soul called Chloromancer that's not listed on their site, and Rogue had the Bard soul.

Those were in Beta 4 too so the site must have been way out of date.  Almost positive there are 8 PvE souls and 1 PvP soul with a couple undocumented hints/messages saying there may be even more in higher levels of the game.  Remember that you will not have all three souls so early in retail...they were bumped up earlier due to Beta for testing purposes.

Had a lot of fun this Beta and it was the first one my wife participated in.  Surprisingly she actually liked it a lot and will probably start playing it with me over WoW (she's a wow-aholic)...which may be the first game to pull her away from WoW for real (bored with lotro, aion and warhammer pretty much weeks after release). 

I don't think it's going to set any records but I don't see it crashing and burning like Aion, Vanguard or Conan did.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on January 30, 2011, 09:34:27 PM

Did it? I just looked at the list on the official site so if soul 8 was in then their web guys need a little slappin' around  icon_biggrin

Yeah I sent them email to that effect but they are probably too busy right now to bother.  The wiki has them all listed even if they don't have all the pics yet.  The one at the bottom of each list is the PvP soul.

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Soul

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »

the souls weren't just moved forward for beta testing reasons, they are thinking about making them available that early for retail.  Originally you had base souls that you got early, then hero souls that you got later (probably why you've seen messages about later souls).  They eventually made all of the souls same 'rank' and available from the start and reworked them to be viable from level 1.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 31, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »

Alright, well I guess I will be the weird one who things this game doesn't compare to WoW. I am not really impressed with the "realistic" look of the game (I love WoW's art direction) and I sit there with my chloro/necro mage and think how it should be cool that I can customize, but in the end I have a ton of overlapping spells and so I feel like it is a waste. I just play it and then log out and go back to WoW.  I was really hoping for this game to be the one. frown

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »

of course you have overlapping spells, they have to make each soul a viable main.  When you have 3 nukes that are mostly identical, pick the one with the best synergy and the others don't go on your bar.  Seems like an odd thing to complain about.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 31, 2011, 12:08:43 AM »

That's why you shouldn't take 3 dps and try to take a support role if you can.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 31, 2011, 12:09:03 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 31, 2011, 12:05:42 AM

of course you have overlapping spells, they have to make each soul a viable main.  When you have 3 nukes that are mostly identical, pick the one with the best synergy and the others don't go on your bar.  Seems like an odd thing to complain about.

Because it seems like a complete waste if this is what multiclassing is.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 31, 2011, 12:08:43 AM

That's why you shouldn't take 3 dps and try to take a support role if you can.

Is necro not dps and chloro not healing?

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 31, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »

i dont know. only played 2 chars to lvl 12.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:47 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 31, 2011, 12:01:00 AM

Alright, well I guess I will be the weird one who things this game doesn't compare to WoW. I am not really impressed with the "realistic" look of the game (I love WoW's art direction) and I sit there with my chloro/necro mage and think how it should be cool that I can customize, but in the end I have a ton of overlapping spells and so I feel like it is a waste. I just play it and then log out and go back to WoW.  I was really hoping for this game to be the one. frown

At very low levels you will definitely have a lot of overlapping spells.

As you get into the higher levels it isn't nearly as bad.  It also depends on how you spec out the three souls.  I intend on going 51/15/0 -> Chloro/Elem/Dom.  Dominator is nice as a third soul for the combo because at 0 pt it has a a CC ability.  Elem at 15 is to get access to a pet that gives my guy a bit more survivability, as well as some mana regen and an armor buff.  51 in Chloro to max it out and be a great secondary healer/dps character.

I don't know that I will ever use every single ability I get from that spec, but sometimes it is just as much about the passives I get from spending points.

The way I see it, each soul is a class, and then I take two other souls to further differentiate that class.

Different combos synergize better than others.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 31, 2011, 12:52:31 AM »

you still completely missed my point.  All the classes HAVE to have a dps spell/ability early, otherwise they just can't level.  It's very clear you've already made up your mind to not like it and at that point it's pretty pointless to try to discuss further.  If you don't like something, you don't like it.  WoW's not going anywhere and I'm pretty sure nobody is asking you to quit it for this so no need to worry.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 31, 2011, 01:37:44 AM »

On the off chance someone who wants to try the game still does not have a key, MMORPG has thousands available as of now:

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/257/Rift-Beta-Key-Grab.html

Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:18 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 31, 2011, 12:09:42 AM

Is necro not dps and chloro not healing?

Pretty much.  Necro is a damage dealer with a pet.  Chloro is kind of a hybrid that heals by doing damage.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »

necro has heals as well, I'm pairing it with my chloro to cover the chloro weakness on single target heals and mana regen
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2011, 02:48:58 AM »

Yeah, I've decided against it as well.

I like the graphics, I like the *idea* of the various souls, etc. even if I found it a bit overwhelming. I somewhat like the idea of rifts but I'm skeptical about how long it will take for that novelty to wear off.

Ultimately, however, the game felt to me like a mediocre MMO with a couple of good ideas slapped on top of it. If the game comes out and critics/players are bowled over about how great it is maybe I'll give it a second chance. For me personally, though, it has the feel of an MMO I'd have fun with for a couple of weeks then drop before my free month was out.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2011, 04:13:14 AM »

I had less issue with overlapping skills with my rogue.  I started a marksman/ranger/saboteur however found that there was way to much overlap of ranged skills.  Once i switched to the saboteur as a primary, with riftstalker as my secondary (and nightblade as a 0point soul) I found a lot better synergy.  Once I had a few points into saboteaur I was able to place charges without agro, detonate, place a slow bomb, do another 5 charges & detonate, then switch to melee. That worked fantastic.  I know you can pair souls like that with clerics as well, however haven't messed with the mages or warriors enough to say.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 31, 2011, 06:20:42 AM »

There's a ton of synergy with mage classes as well; although maybe not quite as obvious as rogue.  To the point of overlapping skills, I think it's important to understand what Hark & Arkon are saying here, and to go even further.  I also believe each soul must be viable on it's own.  It's actually part of the choice in making your character.  There are people out there who plan to pure-soul most of the game - and they have to be able to do that at least somewhat effectively.  Accomplishing this by overlapping abilities is as good a way as any.  But more to the point:

You need to keep in mind there is also the concept of roles - and I would argue that is why overlap is important, and is in no way a 'waste' if you understand the system design.  As your character gets higher in level (let's say 18+) - the ability to choose a role for the way you want to play the game becomes a really cool feature.  Your branch choices can (and often will) have an affect on the potency of the root skills available to you based on your role.  The fact that dpsmage, controlmage, and supportmage all have early-gained missile spells that do 15-20 damage, becomes both immaterial and vitally important at the same time.  Depending on your current spec (role) - one could argue you want that little missile spell in all three classes, as there is a good chance it will synergize better with your current role based on your branch choices.  This can especially be true of the rogue class as well, as the branch skills can certainly impact which builders and finishers you want to use based on the bonuses of your current branch-spec.

Granted, this is not exactly obvious at first; especially if you haven't reached a high enough level to see it in action, and haven't messed around with the redistribution of points the way some of us have.  I also believe that some classes have an inherent makeup as to not synergize quite as well as others - but with 9 souls per archetype, I'm not sure that's really all that big a deal.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 31, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 31, 2011, 12:52:31 AM

you still completely missed my point.  All the classes HAVE to have a dps spell/ability early, otherwise they just can't level.  It's very clear you've already made up your mind to not like it and at that point it's pretty pointless to try to discuss further.  If you don't like something, you don't like it.  WoW's not going anywhere and I'm pretty sure nobody is asking you to quit it for this so no need to worry.

You're actually wrong about this.  I am opening this for discussion to see if someone points something out that I am missing.  I have my opinions and am curious about others' and curious if maybe people have discovered something I am missing.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 31, 2011, 07:17:40 PM

You're actually wrong about this.  I am opening this for discussion to see if someone points something out that I am missing.  I have my opinions and am curious about others' and curious if maybe people have discovered something I am missing.

I think Lockdown and the others explained it really well from a more detailed point of view.  I'll be more simple.  The first time I played I kind of felt the same, I was a priest base class and I ended up with 2 or 3 extra nuke spells (all with similar cast times) which I thought was odd.  The thing is I did essentially no reading whatsoever, I just chose whatever class name sounded "cool" to me at the moment.  As I played a little more I noticed by speccing pts differently, I could get rid of an extra nuke in favor of an insta-DoT.  By the time I got my third class, I had managed to have maybe one "overlap" spell and everything else was useful.  Second time through I tried a mage.  This time though I read the descriptions more closely, so it was evident some of the classes were pure nuking, some were intended for AoE, some for CC, etc etc.  I ended up grabbing a pet class, then a nuker, then cholormancer.  No overlaps whatsoever.  Third time tried a Rogue, no overlaps, combined a bard with an archer and something else, I forget.  4th time, Warrior, no overlaps - I created a nuking, dual sword slashing warrior with a pet.  I think picking a pet class as 1 of the 3 definitely helps. 

Simply put, reading the descriptions closely pretty much gives you a good sense of whether or not there will be significant overlap.  Then as you level, you certainly have the option to choose your points to minimize any overlap if that really bothers you, by simply not unlocking stuff you don't want.  If you are more serious about planning things out, there are plenty of planners to create something with reduced overlap.  As Lockdown mentioned, you think about the kind of role you want to play, or if you aren't into that, think about just what sounds cool to you.  There's always the option to just ignore the other classes and just focus on 1 or 2.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:43 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 31, 2011, 07:17:40 PM

My understanding is they don't intend for everybody to have all three souls filled by 4th level.  If the case is you start with one soul and have to run with it for some time, then every soul needs at least one basic damaging skill to give you the oomph to level early on.  As you go up in levels there is significantly less or no overlap in skills unless you deliberately take to very similar souls (marksman & ranger as an example). Even then the overlap goes down as you level. 

Additionally, having 3 souls (or 8 even if you look at all souls under a class) with the same or nearly same starter skill is a non-issue unless you only intend to replay the first 10 levels ad infinitum.  Play past those levels and you won't have a problem as you get new skills that are different and as the trees modify skills to create variation (per rittchard's example).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »

If I buy two toolsets one for plumbing and one for electrical work, I'd not be too surprised to find that I now have two normal screwdrivers.  Doesn't make having one any less important and I'd just ignore the second one.  It's there so that if I just had the plumbing one, I'd have one.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2011, 05:42:54 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 01, 2011, 04:15:50 AM

If I buy two toolsets one for plumbing and one for electrical work, I'd not be too surprised to find that I now have two normal screwdrivers.  Doesn't make having one any less important and I'd just ignore the second one.  It's there so that if I just had the plumbing one, I'd have one.

You don't do much plumbing do you?  icon_biggrin
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »

no, but they still use screwdrivers.  granted it's mostly not screwdrivers, but the point still stands.   I was just pointing out that there are bound to be tools that are redundant, and you just ignore those you don't need.  It's the only way to prevent certain souls from becoming mandatory for each calling.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 01, 2011, 04:15:50 AM

That's actually a really good analogy and sums it up well.

Steam profile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »

So beta 6 is not that far away, and will be over a weekend! 

I've heard it is Feb. 4-7.  Anyone know if this is confirmed or just rumor?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »

Confirmed.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2011, 02:22:04 PM »

Confirmed.

Steam profile
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: