http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 01:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 80653 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 27, 2011, 11:28:08 AM

I thought you were going to play on those smelly, queue-ridden yank servers Raz?

nope - there's a slight lag that annonys me, so I'm sticking to Euro and the RP-PVP servers I think :-)

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »

Yeah that's why I'll always go for Euro servers when they're available.  No PvP for me though I'm afraid - or not for a while, anyway.  If you play on any of the PvE servers let me know.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 27, 2011, 11:42:23 AM

Yeah that's why I'll always go for Euro servers when they're available.  No PvP for me though I'm afraid - or not for a while, anyway.  If you play on any of the PvE servers let me know.

sure - we can have a look-see whenever the final serverlist pops up :-)

A new one
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »

The Wanderers guild is now live on Briarcliff.  Add Pulpit to your friends list and whisper me for an invite.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 27, 2011, 12:40:10 PM

The Wanderers guild is now live on Briarcliff.  Add Pulpit to your friends list and whisper me for an invite.
I tried Briarcliff the first 2 nights and hit major queues.  Have those cleared at all?

edit: nvm, I'm in as Hotfreak.  Bard.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:08:57 PM by Hotfreak » Logged

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

Beta 5 Extended!

Hello!

Thatís right! We are having so much fun with you in Telara that we have extended the Beta 5 event through Saturday morning at 10 a.m. PST!

Thank you for all of your feedback and we hope you enjoy the extra time in RIFT!

Cindy Bowens
    Sr. Community Manager
    Rift

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2011, 10:46:18 PM »

maybe they should keep it open until they fix the main issue, people can't even get in the game...  Otherwise they are going to hurt sales come launch
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »

Excellent...having more fun this time around and I'm getting past the beginning areas and participating in rifts.  The XP is great doing rift kills and quests...in the teens you might get 500 xp for a raid kill plus a big bonus for finishing the public quest compared to 150-200 xp for a regular mob kill.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:02 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 27, 2011, 10:46:18 PM

maybe they should keep it open until they fix the main issue, people can't even get in the game...  Otherwise they are going to hurt sales come launch

have you tried launching in both full screen and windowed modes?  I think you overestimate how many people are having the problem.  I know it's incredibly frustrating when you're the one with the problem, but the majority of people can get in just fine.

edit: they just posted this about the issue

UPDATE: We believe this is due to a problem with our random number generator, of all things. Under certain conditions, the game will spend huge amounts of time generating random numbers, causing it to appear to freeze while loading, and to run very slowly once loading is finished. We're working on a fix now.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 28, 2011, 03:04:49 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 27, 2011, 11:50:02 PM

maybe they should keep it open until they fix the main issue, people can't even get in the game...  Otherwise they are going to hurt sales come launch

have you tried launching in both full screen and windowed modes?  I think you overestimate how many people are having the problem.  I know it's incredibly frustrating when you're the one with the problem, but the majority of people can get in just fine.

UPDATE: We believe this is due to a problem with our random number generator, of all things. Under certain conditions, the game will spend huge amounts of time generating random numbers, causing it to appear to freeze while loading, and to run very slowly once loading is finished. We're working on a fix now.

Yep windowed as well.  I can get in the game now, it's just 2 FPS all the time, on the lowest settings.  I can play Crysis just fine in decent detail.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 28, 2011, 04:56:24 AM »

Quote from: naednek on January 28, 2011, 03:04:49 AM

Yep windowed as well.  I can get in the game now, it's just 2 FPS all the time, on the lowest settings.  I can play Crysis just fine in decent detail.
The patch they just put out about 40 minutes ago purports to have addressed this issue.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2011, 05:05:28 AM »

I've played multiple combos of cleric (and enjoyed most of them) however I'm really having fun with my saboteur right now. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2011, 05:08:43 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on January 28, 2011, 04:56:24 AM

Quote from: naednek on January 28, 2011, 03:04:49 AM

The patch they just put out about 40 minutes ago purports to have addressed this issue.

Yep, smooth as silk, on ultra!  Finally!  heard they extended the beta till Tuesday
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2011, 06:31:52 AM »

It's just until Saturday as far as I know.

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2011, 06:55:44 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 28, 2011, 06:31:52 AM

It's just until Saturday as far as I know.

Its until friday at 10 - at least, thats what the launcher states

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »

Until Saturday 10am PST is the latest official word I can find.  That's roughly 6pm here, and I just happen to have the house to myself this weekend too.  That's most of Saturday sorted! icon_biggrin

Steam profile
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 28, 2011, 08:44:53 AM

Until Saturday 10am PST is the latest official word I can find.  That's roughly 6pm here, and I just happen to have the house to myself this weekend too.  That's most of Saturday sorted! icon_biggrin

I guess I read this the wrong way...

From the patcher
The beta servers are scheduled to be available for play from Tuesday
  it just stops there.  I read from as till.  kinda like kratz=devil
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »

So finally after being able to play for the first time, I'm impressed!  They almost lost a sale.   Love love the graphics!  I've been out of the MMO scene since warhammer, and man this game is fast paced.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »

I'm actually glad they are having all of these problems now...it is beta and they are actually fixing them.  All of this means a smoother launch in March which is much more important in the long run.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 28, 2011, 02:46:39 PM

I'm actually glad they are having all of these problems now...it is beta and they are actually fixing them.  All of this means a smoother launch in March which is much more important in the long run.

no I agree. I just wouldn't have bought it going in blind
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »

For the beta veterans in the crowd, can anyone comment on the size/linearity of the game world? Due to soul experimentation I haven't yet gotten out of the 1-10 newbie zones, but those are disappointingly linear and almost identical between factions. Does the world open up a lot more?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »

it does, you can check your world map in game as well to see a rough size of playable areas
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »

Yeah, the world starts to open up after level 10 or so.  I'm guessing those areas will stay the same at release, but they keep adding content for the later levels to each progressive beta.

Last night I noticed more hitching than usual after the last update.  Hit a few sound loops that worked themsleves out, so I never crashed, but it did stall things for a few seconds at a time.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »

using teleport while mounted is quite fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGiIXwLjosA
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 28, 2011, 06:40:15 PM

For the beta veterans in the crowd, can anyone comment on the size/linearity of the game world? Due to soul experimentation I haven't yet gotten out of the 1-10 newbie zones, but those are disappointingly linear and almost identical between factions. Does the world open up a lot more?

The starter areas are roughly levels 1-6.  After that you enter Freemarch (Defiant) or Silverwood (Guardian).  Those areas take you from roughly 6-20.  I did not find them all that similar buy YMMV.  The game is not a sandbox so don't expect a completely open world.

World map here:  http://telarapedia.com/w/images/8/82/Telara_WorldMap_01.jpg

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »

The rifts are indeed great fun, but I'm finding them to be very easy at the moment.  I hope the difficulty ramps up later in the game.

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »

the difficulty is definitely higher later.  (unless playing cleric  O_o )

my cleric at 12 had higher melee attack power than my assassin at 20.  kinda depressing.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »

I suppose it's down to how you spec your souls.  My cleric is healing-focused and definitely has a much lower DPS output than my warrior.

Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »

Well, I'm done with betas for Rift now, unless they introduce a lot of new stuff later that needs to be tested.  But the starting areas are too tedious to keep ploughing through so I'll wait until the game is released before I play again.

Definitely had a lot of fun though.  The world looks amazing although it could do with being more open.  There's so much to the soul system that I'll be spending as much time tinkering with builds as I did with Guild Wars.  The rifts are a great feature and as long as the difficulty ramps up at later levels I think it's a part of the game I'm really going to enjoy.  I haven't seen any invasions first-hand yet.

I want the boxed collector's edition (big surprise to anyone who knows me eh?) but I'm having a bugger of a time finding a retailer where it isn't hideously expensive and are participating in the headstart scheme.  One way or another, though, I'll be in on release.

Steam profile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 29, 2011, 02:53:45 PM

I suppose it's down to how you spec your souls.  My cleric is healing-focused and definitely has a much lower DPS output than my warrior.

that's kind of an obvious statement.  slywink  I'm just saying that a dps spec'd cleric has more dps than a dps rogue or dps warrior and more survivability than a tank rogue or tank warrior.  It's a bit too easy to play with this character.  It really bites me in the butt when I switch characters and then get wiped because I forgot I wasn't my godmode cleric. frown

pretty sure you can get the boxed collectors from Trion

edit: oh, and you don't start over with each beta wave fwiw so not sure why the starting area being boring is a reason to not play the future betas.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2011, 05:31:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 29, 2011, 05:23:21 PM

pretty sure you can get the boxed collectors from Trion

Nope, digital only.  Even if they did, I'm sure it would still cost a fortune since I'm in the UK.  Their digital versions are expensive enough...

edit: oh, and you don't start over with each beta wave fwiw so not sure why the starting area being boring is a reason to not play the future betas.

I didn't know that.

Steam profile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »

Just finished another fun-as-hell beta.  I love me some Rift!

...but Jesus, do they ever need to tone down the Clerics!  How is it not obvious as fuck to these devs!?  My poor melee rogue is nothing more than a speedbump as the clerics make their way single-handedly through our team.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »

yeah, i just preordered it at d2d for 20% off.  Accidentally bought the collectors edition.  Oh well, giving me another 24 slot bag might be worth it biggrin
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »

I pre-ordered the collectors from Steam. 

I've played several cleric types, caster and melee based.  I think i had the most fun with my saboteur/riftstalker/nightblade.  It isn't as survivable as the cleric however that adds some challenge.  I was finding that I did really well in rifts too with all the AOE they have.  Not sure what I'll go with live though.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »

yeah, as of right now I'm not cancelling my preorder. It depends if my guild in wow wants to actually start doing something.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 29, 2011, 07:16:46 PM

yeah, i just preordered it at d2d for 20% off.  Accidentally bought the collectors edition.  Oh well, giving me another 24 slot bag might be worth it biggrin

plus at level 20 you can get an exclusive giant turtle to ride  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 30, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »

Are you guys finding this to be a WoW ripoff that isn't as good as WoW?  I have been pretty unimpressed in the sense that I play WoW and while I see the things they add (multiclassing and rifts) are neat, they aren't really enough to pull me away from WoW.  What are you guys finding so great about the game?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 30, 2011, 02:38:47 AM »

Pretty much everything in Rift I like better than WoW.  From the graphics to the story to the classes to the mobs, etc.  I never cared for the 'feel' of WoW.

Rift feels like the perfect mesh of the things I liked in lots of games I've played.  As someone on Qt3 pointed out it pretty much takes the best ideas from WoW, DAOC, Aion, WAR and just puts them all together in one game.

I also think that WoW is very bad from a PvP standpoint and I like PvP. 

PS:  Flying mounts ruined all sense of exploration and large world in WoW as well for me.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 30, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 30, 2011, 01:40:04 AM

Are you guys finding this to be a WoW ripoff that isn't as good as WoW?  I have been pretty unimpressed in the sense that I play WoW and while I see the things they add (multiclassing and rifts) are neat, they aren't really enough to pull me away from WoW.  What are you guys finding so great about the game?

For me it's the atmosphere.  The art design, the story, the world over all just feels more alive to me than WoW.  I enjoyed WoW for a time, but it has always felt very plastic and static to me.  For all the crap going down in the Warcraft world, it never felt to me like anything was really happening. In my opinion Rift portrays the impending doom in a better way and sucks me into the world much more than WoW ever did.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2011, 07:12:26 AM »

yep, this game definitely feels more alive than WoW.  it seemed like everywhere I went you could see signs of war, it really felt like a conflict was going on.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: