http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 06:04:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 80520 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2011, 03:17:20 AM »

I'm not so sure it's not on your end somewhat though.  At the times you were saying you crash after the video, I was able to log in.  Sure the servers are laggy around players and have been crashing, but what you're describing isn't the servers.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2011, 03:58:53 AM »

I really like the new changes so far.  The consolidated character screen, AOE looting (which may not be new), rogue energy regen increase, public grouping and the increased graphic options are all great.  AA continues to demolish my fps...edge smoothing costs about 2-3 fps but going to 2X is 10 fps loss and going to 4X costs another 10 fps. 
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »

Do Europeans default to a separate server cluster?  I played twice last night with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Quote from: ericb on January 26, 2011, 03:58:53 AM

AA continues to demolish my fps...edge smoothing costs about 2-3 fps but going to 2X is 10 fps loss and going to 4X costs another 10 fps. 

Yeah, same here, which quite surprised me.  However the game already looks excellent with simple edge smoothing so I'm not bothered.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2011, 08:24:06 AM »

Server queues were absent late tonight.  We've got some folks going on the Briarcliff server.  It's PvP, but I haven't seen any yet, probably because I'm only level 13 at this point.  My character's name on Briarcliff is Spectre, a rogue.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 26, 2011, 07:45:13 AM

Do Europeans default to a separate server cluster?  I played twice last night with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Quote from: ericb on January 26, 2011, 03:58:53 AM

AA continues to demolish my fps...edge smoothing costs about 2-3 fps but going to 2X is 10 fps loss and going to 4X costs another 10 fps. 

Yeah, same here, which quite surprised me.  However the game already looks excellent with simple edge smoothing so I'm not bothered.

you select your server area in the launcher under options - you can use both US and EU servers if you wish

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »

Thanks Raz.  Yeah, I'm on the Euro servers then.  I created a Defiant Eth cleric, and she's hot! icon_biggrin

Steam profile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »

So last night I was not able to ever get on to Briarcliff, so I went ahead and rolled up some chars on a PvP-RP server.

I decided to give a Chloromancer a try and I have to say I was rather impressed with the class.  My biggest problem is finding a good pairing of souls with it.  Archon seemed like a decent match, but it is another support soul, so my DPS was fairly low, but I had pretty good survivability.  I think a well specced Chloromancer will be a valuable asset to a group.

I also tinkered around a bit with a Riftblade (believe that is the name of the tank soul), it was an interesting concept.  Kind of a battlemage, but I quickly got frustrated with my choice of race as the 2H animations were horrible as a dark elf.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 26, 2011, 01:36:24 PM

So last night I was not able to ever get on to Briarcliff, so I went ahead and rolled up some chars on a PvP-RP server.

I decided to give a Chloromancer a try and I have to say I was rather impressed with the class.  My biggest problem is finding a good pairing of souls with it.  Archon seemed like a decent match, but it is another support soul, so my DPS was fairly low, but I had pretty good survivability.  I think a well specced Chloromancer will be a valuable asset to a group.

I also tinkered around a bit with a Riftblade (believe that is the name of the tank soul), it was an interesting concept.  Kind of a battlemage, but I quickly got frustrated with my choice of race as the 2H animations were horrible as a dark elf.
I ran for about 8 levels with a Warlock/Chloromancer/(recently)Archon and it feels close to invincible in PvE with mobs my level, chain-pulling, 2-3 active enemies in combat with me at a time.  I went with a dot-heavy build.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

I have reserved the name The Wanderers on Briarcliff.  I need to be able to target people to invite them.  So whisper me (Pulpit) and we can meet up for the guild invite.  When we have 5 members the guild will be officially formed.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 26, 2011, 02:09:47 PM

I have reserved the name The Wanderers on Briarcliff.  I need to be able to target people to invite them.  So whisper me (Pulpit) and we can meet up for the guild invite.  When we have 5 members the guild will be officially formed.

is that just to start the guild, or a regular requirement for invites?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »

Well i downloaded it on my work computer, and it worked.  So I'm not sure why it's not working on my computer.  Still having the same problems this morning.  I even reinstalled the client.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 26, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 26, 2011, 04:49:02 PM

Well i downloaded it on my work computer, and it worked.  So I'm not sure why it's not working on my computer.  Still having the same problems this morning.  I even reinstalled the client.

Perhaps a codec issue?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

there's a bunch of threads about it on the official forums but no fix from what I've seen.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2011, 05:24:12 PM »

/ginvite should work without targetting
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2011, 05:20:39 PM

Ya, pparently this has been going on for a few betas now
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »

Well I've had a few quick goes and my initial impressions are it's a pretty WoW.  So far, so meh.  However I have yet to see the rifts stuff in action, and I've been reading a lot about them...it sounds like an awesome mechanic.  I hope I get to experience one before this beta is over - do they occur in the starter areas?  If not I'll just breeze through the first however-many levels as quickly as possible because I need to see what this game really has to offer.

And...<sigh>...if the rift events are good I guess I'll be in. smile

Steam profile
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 26, 2011, 05:51:28 PM

Well I've had a few quick goes and my initial impressions are it's a pretty WoW.  So far, so meh.  However I have yet to see the rifts stuff in action, and I've been reading a lot about them...it sounds like an awesome mechanic.  I hope I get to experience one before this beta is over - do they occur in the starter areas?  If not I'll just breeze through the first however-many levels as quickly as possible because I need to see what this game really has to offer.

Yeah, rifts open up in pretty much all the areas -- you'll see them on the "horizon" so-to-speak as big tornado looking swirls of dark clouds coming down from above.  With the beta being so crowded, you'll see a ton of people then rush to the area to fend off the swarm.  It then turns into a public quest of sorts, very similar to Warhammer.  There are also some other public quests that I've been seeing, whereby the enemy can actually claim areas and you'll need to gather forces to push them out.  Not sure yet how that all woks.  Oh, and you do get rewards based on your contribution, similar to Warhammer.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 26, 2011, 05:51:28 PM

They don't happen in the tutorial area.  Level 6-7 is usually when you will hit the end of the tutorial and can be reached in about 2 hours most likely.  I played a character for an hour and a half last night and got up to the final tutorial quest.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »

I like the combo points in combat and how they can cause other attacks to do more damage if you bide your time. Before that I was just spamming attacks by hitting the hotkey numbers but then realized if I hit 1 a bunch of times before hitting 2 then 2 would do more damage.

Can't figure out the bow though,  I have it equipped but anytime I try to attack I just default to daggers, even if I'm far away. Probably shouldn't have turned off the tutorial  icon_lol

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

sometimes I dont' know about you CK slywink

Just hit the Ranged Attack power, it'll be on your list of powers and abilities brought up by the P key
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 26, 2011, 09:36:31 PM

sometimes I dont' know about you CK slywink

Just hit the Ranged Attack power, it'll be on your list of powers and abilities brought up by the P key
I didn't even know the P key did anything, I knew about N, B, C, the numbers and autorun, but like I said I turned off the tutorial messages- us holier than thou guardians don't need to read  icon_lol

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »

It also works just like wow which i thought you played more apparently
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 26, 2011, 10:29:30 PM

WoW just automatically changes the weapon for me. If I attack from a distance with my hunter the gun/bow comes out, when the mob is close enough out comes the meows weapon. I don't have to hit anything else.

Because I can,
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2011, 11:47:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2011, 10:36:00 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on January 26, 2011, 10:29:30 PM

WoW just automatically changes the weapon for me. If I attack from a distance with my hunter the gun/bow comes out, when the mob is close enough out comes the meows weapon. I don't have to hit anything else.

True.  Most ranged abilities require you to be at least at 3 meters before you can use them.  Essentially, if you are designed around range, use your snares (whether it be traps or an attack or whatever) to slow the enemy and backpedal taking potshots at him with your best ranged attacks.  Works the same for me as in WoW so far.  You can also drag the auto ranged attack and auto melee attack buttons from the general abilities under "p" (I think that's the shortcut key) to a hotbar so you can choose.

I met up with Elmo today on Briarcliff so we have a couple in the guild.  Elmo is a healer and I'm a rogue.  I've heard the first dungeon opens up at 17 or so.  Elmo made me some nice runes to use with my weapons, and I made him a shiny new hammer to pound nails with.  ;-)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:49:18 PM by Fez » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2011, 12:57:53 AM »

A new Rift CGI trailer was released recently if you haven't seen it.

It's not as good as some of the stuff released the past 2 years or so, but it's far from terrible.

Assuming this link works... :  http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/26/rift-cgi-trailer?objectid=14347517

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2011, 02:02:46 AM »

If they want my money, they better fix my problem, and give me a chance to try it out in beta.  Otherwise, they just lost $200+
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2011, 04:20:45 AM »

Finally got in, by using a cfg file from another person.  When I go to up the graphic settings I can't get back in.  So I get to play gimped.   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2011, 04:25:39 AM »

Quote from: naednek on January 27, 2011, 04:20:45 AM

Finally got in, by using a cfg file from another person.  When I go to up the graphic settings I can't get back in.  So I get to play gimped.   

I actually lowered my settings from what I could run because maxing everything out made my system sound like a hair dryer from all the fans kicking in.

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2011, 04:35:30 AM »

Well i take that back, now it just crashes, and it's a slide show.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 27, 2011, 04:25:39 AM

I actually lowered my settings from what I could run because maxing everything out made my system sound like a hair dryer from all the fans kicking in.

got an 5870 last week. maxxed the fuck out of rift and running smooth.

going to give it more time today. it's nothing new, but the tri-spec seems fun. probably make a new char since it's only beta.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 27, 2011, 07:26:24 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 27, 2011, 04:25:39 AM

got an 5870 last week. maxxed the fuck out of rift and running smooth.

going to give it more time today. it's nothing new, but the tri-spec seems fun. probably make a new char since it's only beta.

I have a 5970 and the game chugs for me on max everything.  Weird.  I wonder if the crossfire set up for the 5970 has anything to do with it.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »

is it xfired with another 5970? if it's a lower card, the speed will be as fast as the slowest gpu.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:08 AM »

My graphics do fine but my audio randommly dies. Sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after an hour. Once even on the character select screen. No obvious in game trigger for it. The only way I've found to fix it is to exit and restart the game. Haven't this this issue with anything else at all but, as best as I can tell, I'm the only Rift Beta player that has the problem.  icon_confused

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2011, 08:00:02 AM »

The 5970 is in crossfire on it's own.  It is a dual GPU card.  Well, so the ATI site says.  I updated my crossfire profiles, so maybe that will help.  

*EDIT*  Ok, they put out a new crossfire profile yesterday.  It made a world of difference.  Running smooth as satin now with max everything.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:05:59 AM by Grimwar » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »

ah that's right. i forgot it was an xfire like that.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »

I am really liking this game.  I figured it would be another half rate release, but so far it seems to be really well done.  It feels a lot like a polished Warhammer.  My favorite characters so far are my Bard and Justicar.  I really can't decide which I would play should I buy Rift.  If beta populations are any sign, I will definitely be going Guardians.  I have always been the "bad" side in MMOs, but it seems the tables are turning in newer MMOs so that the "good" guys are the underdogs.  Plus I really enjoy the Guardians starting zones more so far. 

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »

made a warrior and choose void knight, paladin and something else i can't remember. really digging this, actually. usually hate melee but this is pretty fun. debuffing shit is awesome. this combo basically counters magic and melee. should be fun in pvp.

yeah, the game ain't too bad. it takes all the good things from wow with the UI already. you can easily hotkey anything, move the entire UI around, auto quest tracking, fast paced combat.

this game will live or die by the pvp balance, i think. Played the starting areas for both sides. Enjoyed the guardians more.

well time to check out the catherine demo.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »

Quote from: Grimwar on January 27, 2011, 08:48:50 AM

I am really liking this game.  I figured it would be another half rate release, but so far it seems to be really well done.  It feels a lot like a polished Warhammer.

Yeah.  Once again my prejudice almost got me to totally avoid a game.  When I was reading impressions I just latched on to "if you like WoW you'll like this" which completely put me off.  Now that I've actually - shock! - played the game I see that it's different enough.  I'm definitely in; I happen to have just cancelled a subscription to something that will cost the same so I'll essentially be playing for free (or at least that's how I sold it to my girlfriend).

I have always been the "bad" side in MMOs, but it seems the tables are turning in newer MMOs so that the "good" guys are the underdogs.  Plus I really enjoy the Guardians starting zones more so far.

I've always been the good guys, so playing a Defiant in Rift has been a nice change for me.  I'll carry on with Defiant as my first real character at launch I think.

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »

thats what I'm planning as well, Huw - we should keep in touch ;-)

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »

I thought you were going to play on those smelly, queue-ridden yank servers Raz?

Steam profile
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: