http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:13:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 76989 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 11, 2011, 12:44:24 PM


Yeah, certain cleric combos may need to be turned down a wee bit.  Still not as bad as Bright Wizards in WAR, though.  smile
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 2774


I have a bad feeling about this....


View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »

I will be on a pvp server, most likely the RP-PVP server that is available at launch
Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 11, 2011, 01:42:40 PM


Yeah, certain cleric combos may need to be turned down a wee bit.  Still not as bad as Bright Wizards in WAR, though.  smile


I call bullshit on the first video.  The cleric was 8 levels above the guy he killed the way I see it.  In the second video the victim looked like a cloth wearer who turned his back to run.  You do 40% more damage in Rift when you hit someone from behind.  Anyway PvP is not about 1v1 and squishies are supposed to die in melee range.  I hope Trion does not have the same knee jerk reaction that Mythic did every time someone cries for a class nerf.  Yes BW's in WAR were OP at launch (that's why I played one   Tongue  ) but people are still QQing for more nerfs two years later after they have been nerfed to hell and back.   Roll Eyes
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 11, 2011, 01:48:53 PM

I will be on a pvp server, most likely the RP-PVP server that is available at launch

That's what I was on during this last beta.  I'm leaning that way (provided I buy the game) when it goes live.

RP server generally because you find more mature players.  Though RP servers tend to be underpopulated, so that's a concern.
PvP...maybe.  I've done PvP before and it can be a lot of fun.  Getting griefed isn't much fun though and that will happen occasionally on a PvP server.  It doesn't help any that I'm a bit of a soloist.  If I'm going PvP, I have to find a decent guild before launch - ya gotta have friends in PvP.
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 11, 2011, 01:53:29 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on January 11, 2011, 01:42:40 PM


Yeah, certain cleric combos may need to be turned down a wee bit.  Still not as bad as Bright Wizards in WAR, though.  smile


I call bullshit on the first video.  The cleric was 8 levels above the guy he killed the way I see it.  In the second video the victim looked like a cloth wearer who turned his back to run.  You do 40% more damage in Rift when you hit someone from behind.  Anyway PvP is not about 1v1 and squishies are supposed to die in melee range.  I hope Trion does not have the same knee jerk reaction that Mythic did every time someone cries for a class nerf.  Yes BW's in WAR were OP at launch (that's why I played one   Tongue  ) but people are still QQing for more nerfs two years later after they have been nerfed to hell and back.   Roll Eyes

Yeah, the first video isn't a good example.  The second shows something happened.  Taking down a character of your level in just a couple of hits seems a bit OP.

Cleric OP a matter of some heated debate on the beta forums.  There's currently a 51 page thread called World of Clerics Online where the debate is going back and forth.  It probably bears looking into for certain soul combos that seem to be able to pump huge DPS while maintaining some heals.  It also appears that some people are trying to PvP in PvE builds and getting their asses handed to them.  Balancing this game is going to be a major, major challenge for Trion. 

Personally, playing a Justicar to 13, I felt pretty good about being able to hold my own in Warfronts.  I could heal but I wasn't an offensive juggernaut or anything like on the videos.  Then again, I generally suck at PvP.  smile 


PS - BW's were the most OP class I've ever seen in a MMO.  Facing one of them was like facing Bo Jackson in Techno Bowl.   mad
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5587


LD


View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »

I played Cleric and Rogue to about 15.  No question the Cleric was 100 times easier to play from a pve standpoint, but not nearly as fun for me.

I wouldn't know a good pvp video from a hole in the wall, but I found an assassin vid that seems pretty decent:  Youtube Link
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 11, 2011, 01:55:04 PM


If I'm going PvP, I have to find a decent guild before launch - ya gotta have friends in PvP.

The Wanderers has a guild now on Byriel, a PvE server and I expect us to have enough for a guild at launch.  You can PvP on a PvE server from what I've read.  It will be consensual with some open PvP zones, and warfronts of course.
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 11, 2011, 02:06:17 PM

...

I wouldn't know a good pvp video from a hole in the wall, but I found an assassin vid that seems pretty decent:  Youtube Link

Did you see that video?  OMG Rogues are so OP!  Nerf Rogues now!    icon_twisted

Actually I tried a Rogue but stealth seemed to break every time I got near an NPC.  Does it hold better at higher levels?
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 240


View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »

regarding the Wanderers guild on Byriel....will it be Defiant or Guardian?
Logged

PSN: MythicalMino
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on January 11, 2011, 03:23:27 PM

regarding the Wanderers guild on Byriel....will it be Defiant or Guardian?

It's Guardian right now but no decisions have been made AFAIK about the server or side for launch.  I will play Guardian to start but if The Wanderers go Defiant I'll probably roll a Defiant too.
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 11, 2011, 03:38:50 PM

Quote from: MythicalMino on January 11, 2011, 03:23:27 PM

regarding the Wanderers guild on Byriel....will it be Defiant or Guardian?

It's Guardian right now but no decisions have been made AFAIK about the server or side for launch.  I will play Guardian to start but if The Wanderers go Defiant I'll probably roll a Defiant too.

I think I'm going Guardian, just because it seems like a majority of the population went Defiant during the beta.  Lower Warfront queue times = happier me!
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:24 PM »

I played both sides in the last beta, and I liked the story of the Defiant and their machines, but I liked the overall feel of the guardian starter zones a bit better.

Defiant seemed to have some better racial abilities.

Overall the look of the Guardian character models was more to my tastes than Defiant, although I have to say that the big brute race on defiant was pretty cool.

In the end I will likely go where the bulk of GT/OOers/Wanderers go, but my preference would be Guardian.

I am pretty sure at this point that my main will be a High Elf Druid, not 100% on the other souls.
Logged
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »

Provided I get Rift (and it appears I will), I'll have some decisions to make on class.  I really liked some of the warrior trees but I almost always play a healer and liked the Justicar.  With the great class system, I'm thinking a Justicar/Purifier might be a good healer and fun to play.
 
However, the Bard may be really appealing.  I haven't played a true support class since EQ1, but liked it back then.  A Bard/Saboteur sounds very interesting to play.  That kind of combo may be something very different than classes in other MMOs and that's not a bad thing.

So many decisions!  smile

One thing I probably won't do is join any other betas.  If I'm going to get Rift, I'm going to want it to stay fresh.  With limited newbie content (only two areas), it'd be easy to get bored of the low level stuff prior to launch.

Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »

If we come to a consensus on Guardian, I will likely play defiant in the rest of the beta just so I can try more class combos without running the guardian content over and over again.
Logged
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 454



View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »

Hmm...well, I played both sides too.  Generally liked both starter zones about equally I guess, although I went further on the Defiant side than Guardian side.  I played the most with my Kelari (~Dark Elf) Marksman/Ranger/Saboteur. 

I've also found that people in betas often play the opposite "faction" of what they intend to play most at release, to preserve the newness of the starting zones they will be playing in at release.
Logged
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »

Played both sides to level 18 but I am also limiting my questing so as not to spoil everything.  Mostly did warfronts and chased rifts in the last event.
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 11, 2011, 02:48:30 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on January 11, 2011, 02:06:17 PM

...

I wouldn't know a good pvp video from a hole in the wall, but I found an assassin vid that seems pretty decent:  Youtube Link

Did you see that video?  OMG Rogues are so OP!  Nerf Rogues now!    icon_twisted

Actually I tried a Rogue but stealth seemed to break every time I got near an NPC.  Does it hold better at higher levels?

There are skills higher in the tree (for assassin) that increase your stealth speed, reduce the chance you will be seen and removes the 30 sec duration timer.  I know the speed and detection skills are in the third level up (10 points required before opening).
Logged
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »

Here's where I think Trion is going to have the largest challenges with Rift in the near future:

1. The game needs more starting areas and/or low level content. Simply put, this game is an alt-a-holics dream with the excellent soul mechanic. That's a testament to the soul system, which is fantastic. But going through the same low-level content repeatedly will absolutely kill the enthusiasm of a player trying to really get into perhaps the best thing Rift has to offer. Even if they added in a lot of class-based and race-based quests in between levels 1-15, they'd give people something new to play through while they test-drive class combinations.  But as it stands, I think we'll see huge complaints on the content quickly.

2.  I didn't notice any mechanism to get into groups easily. Perhaps it's there and I didn't notice it, but something like the WAR open group concept could work well here. Or maybe an auto-grouping feature while fighting in a Rfit. But trying to heal while non-grouped in a Rift is a bit too chaotic. Give us ways to group more easily in certain circumstances.  Right now the Rifts will get people together, but the real step is to get people in groups.  Supposedly this is already coming...

3.  Speaking of Rifts, they're going to have a major challenge balancing Rifts and Invasions versus questing.  The questing in Rift is extremely linear and you better do the quests in one area before moving on or other quests don't open.  Well, if the quest area is overrun because of an invasion, you're completely and utterly stuck in your progression.  That's a piss-poor design mechanic that needs to be fixed ASAP, or they're going to get a lot of people walking away very quickly.  The linearity of the quests also causes problems with #2 (groups), because it's virtually impossible to quest together unless you're leveling up together all the time.  

4. Better quests and more humor.  The questing in the game is waaaay too heavy on "kill 10 wolves" or "collect 5 widgets".  It's WoW questing circa 2005 and it's not acceptable in today's marketplace.  If I were Trion, I'd have a handful of guys fixing both #3 and #4 together.  Along the way, they need to find a sense of humor.  Not WoW's over-the-top with pop culture references humor, but too many games (LOTRO and WAR especially) are too dry and humorless. That gets old after a while. I saw a couple of funny things, but not enough. Rift's brightly colored world is perfect for the occasional oddball/weird/funny quest. Get someone coding quests with a sense of humor.

5.  Class balance - they're going to have a bitch of a time trying to balance all the various combinations for PvP.  They'll be fine as long as they can get everyone close to equal, but even that's going to be a challenge given the vast number of combinations possible.  
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Wargus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 895



View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 11, 2011, 05:23:50 PM

Here's where I think Trion is going to have the largest challenges with Rift in the near future:

1. The game needs more starting areas and/or low level content. Simply put, this game is an alt-a-holics dream with the excellent soul mechanic. That's a testament to the soul system, which is fantastic. But going through the same low-level content repeatedly will absolutely kill the enthusiasm of a player trying to really get into perhaps the best thing Rift has to offer. Even if they added in a lot of class-based and race-based quests in between levels 1-15, they'd give people something new to play through while they test-drive class combinations.  But as it stands, I think we'll see huge complaints on the content quickly.

2.  I didn't notice any mechanism to get into groups easily. Perhaps it's there and I didn't notice it, but something like the WAR open group concept could work well here. Or maybe an auto-grouping feature while fighting in a Rfit. But trying to heal while non-grouped in a Rift is a bit too chaotic. Give us ways to group more easily in certain circumstances.  Right now the Rifts will get people together, but the real step is to get people in groups.  Supposedly this is already coming...

3.  Speaking of Rifts, they're going to have a major challenge balancing Rifts and Invasions versus questing.  The questing in Rift is extremely linear and you better do the quests in one area before moving on or other quests don't open.  Well, if the quest area is overrun because of an invasion, you're completely and utterly stuck in your progression.  That's a piss-poor design mechanic that needs to be fixed ASAP, or they're going to get a lot of people walking away very quickly.  The linearity of the quests also causes problems with #2 (groups), because it's virtually impossible to quest together unless you're leveling up together all the time.  

4. Better quests and more humor.  The questing in the game is waaaay too heavy on "kill 10 wolves" or "collect 5 widgets".  It's WoW questing circa 2005 and it's not acceptable in today's marketplace.  If I were Trion, I'd have a handful of guys fixing both #3 and #4 together.  Along the way, they need to find a sense of humor.  Not WoW's over-the-top with pop culture references humor, but too many games (LOTRO and WAR especially) are too dry and humorless. That gets old after a while. I saw a couple of funny things, but not enough. Rift's brightly colored world is perfect for the occasional oddball/weird/funny quest. Get someone coding quests with a sense of humor.

5.  Class balance - they're going to have a bitch of a time trying to balance all the various combinations for PvP.  They'll be fine as long as they can get everyone close to equal, but even that's going to be a challenge given the vast number of combinations possible.  


I agree with all of this with a caveat on #5.  My understanding is Trion expects everybody who pvp's to have a pvp soul in their build, and that short of having that you'll get you ass handed to you.  That cuts down by a large factor the amount of combination's they have to worry about. They'll start by balancing the PVP souls and then work on abilities in other souls that may be over the top for pvp. 
Logged
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9779



View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2011, 07:28:27 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 11, 2011, 01:53:29 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on January 11, 2011, 01:42:40 PM


Yeah, certain cleric combos may need to be turned down a wee bit.  Still not as bad as Bright Wizards in WAR, though.  smile


I call bullshit on the first video.  The cleric was 8 levels above the guy he killed the way I see it.  In the second video the victim looked like a cloth wearer who turned his back to run.  You do 40% more damage in Rift when you hit someone from behind.  Anyway PvP is not about 1v1 and squishies are supposed to die in melee range.  I hope Trion does not have the same knee jerk reaction that Mythic did every time someone cries for a class nerf.  Yes BW's in WAR were OP at launch (that's why I played one   Tongue  ) but people are still QQing for more nerfs two years later after they have been nerfed to hell and back.   Roll Eyes

you're right about the level difference, but you're wrong about doing more damage from behind.  Only certain classes get benefits like that and only with certain abilities.  I haven't seen anything that says otherwise yet.  Also, though that is an exaggerated case in levels, if you've played against or with clerics versus even level opponents you'll see how much better they are than the other 3 classes at the moment.  (btw, the reason he kills the guy so fast in the second vid is because the guy had rez sickness, which makes it a lot like the first one in 'fairness'.  However, the speed of the burst is the same on an even level guy, it just takes another attack to followup the one button kill shown.

Regarding rogues, even with two points in the stealth detection buff even level mobs still turned and attacked me if near them for more than a split second.  My only success solo was to rift port to the mob and immediately use the incapacitate, then run behind the mob and open.  Even in the split second between the teleport to it's back and the press of incapacitate the mob would turn to face me.  Rogues (assassin) do ok damage in the first burst, but not enough to take most people past 50% and you often don't get anything else done before dead.  Ranged rogues do really good damage though and are very good imo.

I also take issue with the sheer number of instant spells available.  There are quite a few abilities that interrupt spells or add to casting time, but those are useless when facing someone with mostly instant spells. 

I really want to play and like melee rogue, but they seem a bit far from competitive at the moment.  I switched to some Bard in my build and the ranged attacks immediately let me do very well in pvp.  Note that pretty much every class does fine in pve versus normal mobs of even level though.  It's not until extended battles (elites, dungeons) or pvp that the melee rogue shows it's weakness. 


The game is definitely friendly to alts, but I don't see why you need more than 4 characters.  One for each calling and they each can get 4 roles.  I tried out a ton of combo's of souls for each class without having to do more than the 4 times.  Granted 4 times through the content can be a lot for some people, but having taken 30+ trips through CO's starting area (we much shut down ALL the beacons!)  and probably about as many through City of Villains, and 8 trips through Goblin starter area in Cat, 4 is a relief to me.

Open groups would be awesome and seem like a no brainer for rifts.  When you unlock Hoppy, the Harbinger of Death, maybe you'll see some humor slywink
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3974


View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 11, 2011, 07:28:27 PM

I really want to play and like melee rogue, but they seem a bit far from competitive at the moment.  I switched to some Bard in my build and the ranged attacks immediately let me do very well in pvp.  Note that pretty much every class does fine in pve versus normal mobs of even level though.  It's not until extended battles (elites, dungeons) or pvp that the melee rogue shows it's weakness. 

But isn't your favorite thing to do pick the most gimped class to play???   ninja2 ninja2 nod nod Tongue Tongue
Logged
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 11, 2011, 07:28:27 PM


you're right about the level difference, but you're wrong about doing more damage from behind.  Only certain classes get benefits like that and only with certain abilities.  I haven't seen anything that says otherwise yet.  ...

OK, not sure where I saw the 40% figure so take it with a grain of salt unless/until I find the source.
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Wargus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 895



View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

Seems like a common theme on the Rift forums is clerics could use a little tweaking down & melee rogues a bit of buffing, neither of which I disagree with however really don't have enough experience to add anything too. I enjoyed the cleric the most, however a melee or caster dps/healer hybrid is what I have always enjoyed.
Logged
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9779



View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »

First calling trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-warrior-rift/709172
Logged
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 11, 2011, 12:44:24 PM


I can't tell what race that is...it looks like a Kelari.  If so, remember that the Kelari have that racial buff that gives 100% crits for a few seconds.  So any videos showing "OMG OP!!!" classes will need to exclude the Kelari simply because their racial really is OP.

A Kelari Druid/Shaman could be seriously powerful.  You get the Kelari racial (auto crit every 5 minutes), the second tier Druid Spirit of the Hunter (better crit chance +5%), the first tier Shaman talent Unyielding (improved crit chance +5%), the second tier Shaman talent Overwhelming (improved crit damage +10%), the Shaman Courage of the Jag (improved crit chance), the Druid Summon Faerie (improved crit chance) and then either the 5th tier Shaman crit buff (+30 damage) or the 5th tier Druid crit damage buff (+10%).  Talk about potential burst damage....yowsa.

Throw the Druid talent Slumber on top of that (ability to sleep enemies) and that's a mighty combination.



Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 12, 2011, 01:48:42 PM


Throw the Druid talent Slumber on top of that (ability to sleep enemies) and that's a mighty combination.

Here is a build I threw together that incorporates some of the ideas you mentioned.  Will probably go with these three souls at launch and think more about the points as I play.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=cleric&build=sentinel.3000520000505000:shaman.1120015001400500:druid.100022101000312314005000
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9779



View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »

 Most of the racials are either OP or UP.  40% extra damage, higher crit chance, both of those are a bit much imo.

btw, you might be misunderstanding what the Kelari racial actually does.  It's a 100% crit chance, but each crit lowers the chance.  So you're only guaranteed one crit, then higher chance of the next and so on until you either score several or 20 seconds wears out.  It's powerful, but not as OMFG FACEMELT as people make it out to be.  It's good for pvp burst or for builds that have things that trigger on crit though definitely.  Assassin is one of those.  In PvE I'd much rather have the 40% damage boost across the board for x seconds.

Here's a decent soul calc btw

http://riftbuilder.lotd.org/

I like this one a bit more than the one linked by Elmo.

I'm trying to figure out the interaction between Rift Scavenger + Combat Culmination .  Both use combo points on target automagically when target is killed.  Then Planar Shift moves combo points from recently killed target to new target.  All three seem to step on each others toes and I wish I knew how they work together. 
Logged
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8297


The Truth is out there


View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »

ugh - this makes me feel I'm too old to play MMO's.

Why cant we just all get along and just have fun and make the build that seems interesting without going into percentages and death-kill-score ratio penis comparisons?

I kid of course, but man - its is exactly why I'm not competetive in pvp in MMOs' I guess - I simply don't have the inclination to see how the things are connected mathematically.
Logged

A new one
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 12, 2011, 02:39:39 PM

ugh - this makes me feel I'm too old to play MMO's.

Why cant we just all get along and just have fun and make the build that seems interesting without going into percentages and death-kill-score ratio penis comparisons?

I kid of course, but man - its is exactly why I'm not competetive in pvp in MMOs' I guess - I simply don't have the inclination to see how the things are connected mathematically.

See, this is where I think Rift has a ton of potential.  The ability to make character builds that have potentially great synergy while being interesting is fairly unique in the MMO realm.  How about a bard who can heal and buff, all the while throwing bombs and trapping the opposition?  Then go with a Bard/Saboteur (something I'm strongly considering).  How about an anti-caster who can heal while damaging and even resurrect a fallen comrade?  Then perhaps you want a Dominator/Chloromaster, which could be a helluva nuisance to opposing healers.  How about a teleporting Robin Hood?  Then maybe a Marksman/Riftstalker is up your alley.  I think it's all in what you can imagine and how the synergies work between classes.

The cool thing here is that no matter how much someone theorycrafts and whatever the FOTM class is, there will probably always be a combo that just eats them alive.  A lot of possibilities await...
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Aganazer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 502



View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 12, 2011, 02:39:39 PM

ugh - this makes me feel I'm too old to play MMO's.

Why cant we just all get along and just have fun and make the build that seems interesting without going into percentages and death-kill-score ratio penis comparisons?

I kid of course, but man - its is exactly why I'm not competetive in pvp in MMOs' I guess - I simply don't have the inclination to see how the things are connected mathematically.

I quit playing MMOG's to "win" years ago. I save that for board gaming. Its still fun to find the optimal builds, even if its only to adapt them in unexpected ways to create unique play styles.
Logged
Wargus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 895



View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »

Isn't playing mmo's to win an oxymoron?
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3974


View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2011, 06:48:05 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 12, 2011, 03:16:34 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 12, 2011, 02:39:39 PM

ugh - this makes me feel I'm too old to play MMO's.

Why cant we just all get along and just have fun and make the build that seems interesting without going into percentages and death-kill-score ratio penis comparisons?

I kid of course, but man - its is exactly why I'm not competetive in pvp in MMOs' I guess - I simply don't have the inclination to see how the things are connected mathematically.

See, this is where I think Rift has a ton of potential.  The ability to make character builds that have potentially great synergy while being interesting is fairly unique in the MMO realm.  How about a bard who can heal and buff, all the while throwing bombs and trapping the opposition?  Then go with a Bard/Saboteur (something I'm strongly considering).  How about an anti-caster who can heal while damaging and even resurrect a fallen comrade?  Then perhaps you want a Dominator/Chloromaster, which could be a helluva nuisance to opposing healers.  How about a teleporting Robin Hood?  Then maybe a Marksman/Riftstalker is up your alley.  I think it's all in what you can imagine and how the synergies work between classes.

The cool thing here is that no matter how much someone theorycrafts and whatever the FOTM class is, there will probably always be a combo that just eats them alive.  A lot of possibilities await...

Definitely agree with Blackadar here, that's the main thing that I like about the Rift system, it seems flexible enough to entertain all types of players, from the most casual to the min/maxxers.  While I love calculators and builders, I also like to just look at the skills and see what sounds cool to me at the moment.  I like having a pet, I like having HoTs and insta damage, so with this system I just have to look around to figure out what I want the most.  
Logged
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9779



View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »

Ritt wants a Warden/Sentinel and possibly Druid third slywink  That's what i was building with Instants and Hot's in mind.  I knew Ritt likes Instant Hotness
Logged
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »

Included a warden in one build I tested but felt the HOT's were often too little too late in PvP.  Even if I jumped on someone right away it was an uphill battle to keep them alive with any kind of focused fire on them.  Lots of other factors involved of course but that was just my initial impression.
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1075


View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 11, 2011, 04:48:27 AM

Quote from: Morgul on January 10, 2011, 07:35:01 PM

Ahh, I remember war was supposed to be like DAOC world pvp but for some reason it was all screwed up and didnt really work...

I cant remember fighting anyone in world pvp either...    But I do remember the battlegrounds...   And those "mangled arm dudes" were overpowered..  

You don't remember any world pvp in WAR?  That was 90% of the game.

World PvP in WAR started around level 5 when you get to the first RvR lake.

I swear to god its a blank...    ;(

I had a goblin shaman all the way up too... and a chaos brawler type with the wierd arms, cant remember the name.  I mostly leveled the shaman though.
     All I remember is the Bgs..  one had a bridge, another had some sort of pyramid thing in the middle..

But the world pvp just isnt clicking...   I must be burnt out or old hah  
Logged
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 316



View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

yeah, its weird War really didnt leave a huge impression on me either, and I played probably 1000 hours of it. I know it could of been good, but left me wanting. I remember there was always some kind of delay in pvp.  I also remember the world felt disconjointed.  Basically had pvp lakes where you played grab ass with castles. I remember the pvp lake that was a city was kinda cool.  I left before all the capital invasions etc.  But I agree kind of weird you can play a game for 1000 hours and then a year or so later have to really think hard to remind yourself what the hell it was.

As for RIFT, the forum effect has worked and I have pre ordered.  I need a MMO fix, hopefully this will do it.
Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Aganazer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 502



View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 12, 2011, 08:16:49 PM

Quote from: skystride on January 11, 2011, 04:48:27 AM

Quote from: Morgul on January 10, 2011, 07:35:01 PM

Ahh, I remember war was supposed to be like DAOC world pvp but for some reason it was all screwed up and didnt really work...

I cant remember fighting anyone in world pvp either...    But I do remember the battlegrounds...   And those "mangled arm dudes" were overpowered..  

You don't remember any world pvp in WAR?  That was 90% of the game.

World PvP in WAR started around level 5 when you get to the first RvR lake.

I swear to god its a blank...    ;(

I had a goblin shaman all the way up too... and a chaos brawler type with the wierd arms, cant remember the name.  I mostly leveled the shaman though.
     All I remember is the Bgs..  one had a bridge, another had some sort of pyramid thing in the middle..

But the world pvp just isnt clicking...   I must be burnt out or old hah  

I remember opening weekend I was really excited to try some open world PvP in WAR. I found some control point on the map. I went there looking for a fight and waited... and waited... and waited... Went to another open PvP area and waited some more just to be sure. Everyone was in the damn battlegrounds since they were the fastest way to level up. So then I went on a little tour of the PQ's that looked like they might be fun if there were actually some players around. I made a few alts in different areas and found the same situation everywhere. I figure that if it were like that on opening weekend that something went horribly wrong with the game's design. I would have paid extra to have been on a server with no battlegrounds.
Logged
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on January 12, 2011, 08:40:55 PM

yeah, its weird War really didnt leave a huge impression on me either, and I played probably 1000 hours of it. I know it could of been good, but left me wanting. I remember there was always some kind of delay in pvp.  I also remember the world felt disconjointed.  Basically had pvp lakes where you played grab ass with castles. I remember the pvp lake that was a city was kinda cool.  I left before all the capital invasions etc.  But I agree kind of weird you can play a game for 1000 hours and then a year or so later have to really think hard to remind yourself what the hell it was.

As for RIFT, the forum effect has worked and I have pre ordered.  I need a MMO fix, hopefully this will do it.

WAR open PvP for those who didn't remember:

T1 - Hey, we're having great fun in world PvP just getting points and capturing locations.  This is neat!

T2 Early Levels - Hey, we get to see keeps!  Let's attack/defend this thing!  Look here, item bags!  This is neat!

T2 Later Levels - Hey, where is everyone?  Oh, yeah, they're in PvP scenarios because the rewards are better there.

T3 Early Levels - Hey...ummm...bigger keeps.  But we can try some siege weapons now at least.  Shit, lag!  Shit, exploits!  This sucks!

T3 Later Levels - Hellloooooo?  Anyone not in a scenario?

T4 Early Levels - Hey, they have this keep.  Let's go get the other one that's not defended so we can get some points and some loot.  Then we'll trade in a half hour and wave to each other as we pass by.  What's on TV?

T4 Later Levels - It's 2:00 AM, the 3 of us can capture a city now since they're all asleep.  Time to re-up my WoW sub!
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »

According to ZAM, Trion announced Beta 5 but I don't see anything at the Trion site yet:

Quote
Trion Worlds just announced that the fifth Rift closed beta event, "Battle of the Ascended," will kick off Tuesday, Jan. 25 at 10 a.m. PST and run through Friday, Jan. 28 at 10 a.m. The level cap will be raised to 30 and players will gain access to the Scarlet Gorge zone and the Foul Cascade dungeon. The Black Garden and Codex PvP Warfronts will once again be open for testing.

In addition to the announcement, Trion offered this interesting fact: players in last weekend's fourth beta phase logged over one million hours of total playtime during the three-day event.

Players who pre-order the game will earn a guaranteed spot in the "Battle of the Ascended" beta event. Will you be in-game from Jan. 25-28?
Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9779



View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »

lag combined with people nuking through doors at keeps is what made me quit playing.  Low level pvp was very fun though. 
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.477 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.198s, 2q)