http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 02:18:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 75903 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »

Kato and I have been levelling up Defiant side and running some pvp.  So far it's pretty amazing fun for me.  Loving the class systems and the flexibility.  Feels weird to play a rogue and be able to switch roles to support and tank, but I love it.

At this point it's a definite long term game for me.

I think we're on Sunrest or Sun something.  PVP-RP server
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 05:24:36 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 08, 2011, 05:20:19 PM

Quote from: rittchard on January 08, 2011, 02:43:38 AM

Kub and I both made toons on Byriel too.

He has Kayle, I have Rittmage

Where does the name Kayle come from?

I dunno, is that a girls name or guys name?
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2011, 07:17:41 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 08, 2011, 03:23:03 PM

Guardian High Elf Druid/Shaman/Justicar - Melee based cleric.  Druid has a fairy pet that heals her, so early on the druid has no actual heals herself.
Defiant Big Purple Guy Beast Master - Was having trouble finding a good pairing with Beast Master so I have shelved it for now.

I also had trouble finding a nice beastmaster pairing.  It does not fit well with the tank class IMHO but maybe I just did not make enough effort to look at the other souls.

I really like shaman/justicar.  Just need to find the right third soul now.  One of the focused healer souls like sentinel might go well.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 08, 2011, 07:17:41 PM

Guardian High Elf Druid/Shaman/Justicar - Melee based cleric.  Druid has a fairy pet that heals her, so early on the druid has no actual heals herself.
Defiant Big Purple Guy Beast Master - Was having trouble finding a good pairing with Beast Master so I have shelved it for now.

I also had trouble finding a nice beastmaster pairing.  It does not fit well with the tank class IMHO but maybe I just did not make enough effort to look at the other souls.

I really like shaman/justicar.  Just need to find the right third soul now.  One of the focused healer souls like sentinel might go well.

I ended up going back to the beast master and paired it with Warlord.  It looks like Warlords get some nice debuff/buff abilities that may pair well.  I love pet classes, so really want to find something that works with beast master.  I am also not sure what tanking style the beast master is intended to use.  Will the pet be a tank, or will the beast master/pet make up a MT/Off Tank pairing?

Shaman/Justicar is definitely a cool pairing, and I really do enjoy the druid class with them, but it is not a very good healing combo.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »

I could see this pulling some people away from WoW (and might finish off Warhammer for all but the most hardcore dedicated) but it's not a WoW killer at this point (what is though?).  I'm really enjoying it and glad I did the pre-order.  Basically under $110 for the CE and 7 months gametime.  Seems like a lot upfront but I spent $50 just on dinner last night and prob another $50-60 tomorrow night so meh...this will last much, much longer than those dinners Tongue

I can see having my main problem though...I like most of the classes and souls.  I'm glad they have so many choices and options but I'm still going to be rolling at least two main characters in headstart (mage and rogue).  I don't know if it's enough to pull my wife away from WoW though.  After cata she's back to being a hardcore fanatic again.  Personally I've played WoW off and on since beta and could easily leave it behind though I still enjoy it now.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 08, 2011, 09:33:01 PM

Quote from: Elmo on January 08, 2011, 07:17:41 PM

I ended up going back to the beast master and paired it with Warlord.  It looks like Warlords get some nice debuff/buff abilities that may pair well.  I love pet classes, so really want to find something that works with beast master.  I am also not sure what tanking style the beast master is intended to use.  Will the pet be a tank, or will the beast master/pet make up a MT/Off Tank pairing?

Shaman/Justicar is definitely a cool pairing, and I really do enjoy the druid class with them, but it is not a very good healing combo.

keep in mind that Beastmaster may not be intended to tank at all, either with the pet or without.  Not all Warrior souls are for tanking.  Haven't looked at it yet, but it may be a pure DPS class.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »

Was playing today when the INVASION happened! Crazy crazy stuff! was perhaps around 500 people milling around in the zone called Freemarshes or somesuch (Defiant side) and man it was fun - had to turn down the graphics to low to make it work though, but still looked great - THe thing is, if you dont defeat the invasions , bad bad things happens to the zone...not really sure what, but is DIRE things!

Tons of fun, and the character creation side is awesome - running with a paladin/Beastmaster/warlord which basically means I am unkillable, and have a pet :-D

Warlord works like a captain in LOTRO, buffing like crazy, and paladin is what you except, pve tank, while rift knight is AOE tank and the third tank is PVP tank.

A new one
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »

We had a similar zone invasion on the Guardian side.  Trid gained two levels without having to move more than about 50 yards.  Mobs just kept coming at us and we kept killing therm in about an hour of non stop action.  Great fun.  I'm sold, just need to put in my pre-order after the weekend.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »

It's a simple mechanic, but I kinda like going to turn in my quests and finding the outpost is controlled by another plane and my NPC's have been slain.  Epic fights ensue just to return the town to control.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2011, 12:50:28 AM »

so what is the progression of the Rifts? When does a rear become a rift, and a rift become an invasion or foothold or whatever?

I see on the map different invasions and footholds...what is more dangerous? What is, if there are any, the priorities in taking care of these things?

Hopefully, those questions made sense....

PSN: MythicalMino
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2011, 01:01:51 AM »

Rifts and such:

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Rift

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »

Wall O' Text Incoming!

Well, having played now for around 6 hours, I can say I've seen virtually none of the problems HR Rose is reporting. The game has absolutely been rock-solid with one exception (a crash to desktop). My 3 year old system with a 512 MB RAM 8800 GT has no problem running the game smoothly with quite a few graphics options bumped up at 1650 x 1050 resolution. It doesn't even look like his screenshots, which appear to have every single graphical option turned to the lowest setting. I've played both defiant and guardian sides with characters to level 10 on both. OK, so impressions:

Graphics - The style is akin to WAR, except brighter and more colorful. The world is a more beautiful place, even with constant war. It's not as "cartoony" as WoW, but it shares some similarity in the beauty of the world. It looks like a cross between some of the brighter EQ2 areas done in the WAR engine. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Character Creation - Decent options here. Hair, face, eyebrows, tattoos, skin tone, height, etc. are all customizable with a wide array of options. As such, you're not going to see a character look like yours. I'm quite happy with the options here. The guards have much better looking characters.

Animations - I'm a little disappointed here. The running animations are just plain bad, with the dwarf animation particularly bad. Combat animations aren't bad, but aren't always great. The cleric seemed pretty dull, but my warrior had better melee animations. Spells look great.

Mobs - I've seen a pretty wide array of mob types in just a few levels. Some look very cool. The ones at high level are probably pretty wicked.

Music - Nothing memorable thus far. Nothing hideous thus far.

Story/Quests - Pretty much the same thing in most MMOs. The story seems to be entirely forgettable and virtually every quest is "kill 6 of these" or "collect 4 of these". The intro stories were pretty decent (not posting any spoilers), but so far I haven't run into any great quests. This could be a serious problem.

Class System - The soul mechanic is pretty damn cool, even in the limited time I've spent with the game. It's like being able to pick your own talent trees for your given class. There are some pretty cool options here and as such you can start to develop very unique classes or roles. So far, I'm really impressed.

PvP - Tried a couple scenarios, got rolled both times. I'd like to explore this more before commenting. I don't know about open world PvP.

Crafting - Seems like there's a good system in place, but more stuff needs to spawn. I couldn't even find 5 tin to complete mining quests. I'll have to reserve judgment on this one.

Leveling - Seems to be a tad slower than WoW. But still pretty damn quick. Perhaps too quick. This game may be an altaholic's dream given the class/soul system, but with only a couple of starting areas they may grow bored very, very quickly.

Gameplay - Now here's the thing, isn't it? The Rifts are a great idea, because they act like PQs that spawn randomly. I'm really, really concerned with the ability to beat back Rifts once the majority of the player base has leveled out of an area. But they're fun and you find yourself drawn to them when they're spawning...which they often are. But beyond that, I didn't encounter much new. So at lower levels, the game play is derivative. It plays like WoW, with some of the collection quests from EQ2, with a bit of WAR's PvP thrown in. But that's not necessarily a bad combo - whether it's good enough to make a splash in the marketplace remains to be seen. Maybe there are surprises waiting at higher levels (cap is 50).

But I've always said a MMO is more than the sum of its parts. I'm not sure about RIFT. It's competent, fun, beautiful and rock-solid. That puts it above virtually every other MMO launch in recent history. Whether it's addicting or not remains to be seen. I'm on the fence a bit on buying the game. But I'll give it a go again tomorrow because I've done virtually everything solo and haven't experienced any real group situations.

And for Rift vs. WoW questions, here’s my CURRENT view in a nutshell:

1 – WoW plays better, the combat is still unparalleled from a responsiveness and animation point of view – regardless of your ‘art style’ preferences (I actually prefer Rift’s). Rift combat feels a bit detached and I think the main causes lie in the character animations, audio and just some “x-factor” that’s hard to describe. WoW's combat is just more...visceral.

2 – Rift’s default UI is serviceable and just about as good as WoW’s default, but the problem is most people in WoW have highly customized UI’s c/o Curse. That makes Rift’s UI look like a 2005 nightmare to me personally, and is one of my biggest remaining gripes. BUT - this may also help with the game not turning into easy-mode due to add-ons. I think WoW's add-ons make the game too damn easy. And while I can turn mine off, it puts me at a severe disadvantage in combat situations. As such, I'm really forced to have things like Deadly Boss Mods. So there's a pro and a con here.

3 – Questing is very BC-Era and doesn’t have the “fit and finish” of Cataclysm questing (e.g. intense phasing and variety.) I don’t really care a ton about this, but you’re going to be collecting 10 bear-butts, clicking 10 do-dads and killing 10 angry guards. It's WoW 2005 questing all over again.

4 – In my opinion, Rift is EASILY the best MMO in its current state launched since LOTRO. I’m saying this with some confidence that the end-game works and heck even if it doesn’t it’s not like the end-game worked for WAR, AOC, FFXIV or Vanguard very well either.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »

My biggest problem seems to be sticking with a character.  There are so many builds I keep trying new ones just to see what they are like. 

As far as the UI goes, it is pretty customizable, so I was pleased there.  I do agree with you as far as animations, they seem a little cludgy still. 

In all the game is really fun, but is very similar to other games.  They essentially lifted aspects from WoW and WAR and plugged them into Rifts. I suspect it will do well though because the game works very well with what it is. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »

I'm playing each of the four main callings for the beta.  So far I like Rogue the best, but they all are pretty fun and decent.  Clerics definitely feel like the most powerful by a huge margin.  I picked a 3 soul combo that gives me pretty much all instant cast spells both damage and healing.  I can run around bunny hopping and spinning and still tag, kill, and heal everything.  Feels like easy mode definitely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 09, 2011, 09:33:26 AM

I'm playing each of the four main callings for the beta.  So far I like Rogue the best, but they all are pretty fun and decent.  Clerics definitely feel like the most powerful by a huge margin.  I picked a 3 soul combo that gives me pretty much all instant cast spells both damage and healing.  I can run around bunny hopping and spinning and still tag, kill, and heal everything.  Feels like easy mode definitely.

great, you've already broke the game  Tongue

didn't get into the beta this weekend, but after watching a bunch of videos I'm sold.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »

Agree with Hark.  For me, I have to love my class in order to stick with games like this.  I'm running a Riftstalker/Bard/Nightblade, and don't think I've liked playing a character this much since... my Assassin in Diablo 2.  (that's a long time ago).

Having way too much fun with this game.  Could not be much happier.

Go Trion.  Well done, devs.

*Edit to add:  I was at a general goods merchant this morning and saw "Mudder's Milk" as a purchasable item.  I laughed out loud.  Firefly fans ftw!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:44:25 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »

Theorycrafters (me) and min/maxers (not me) will have a field day with this game due to all the soul combos.  Spent about an hour this morning looking at cleric builds and like the justicar/warden I built.  You have to get on healing early because the warden is all about HOTs although the justicar does some group heals through hitting stuff when you get a ways into the tree.  Might work as my WAR like warrior priest.  For some reason I can't see any mage souls with Trid other than the three he started with even though he is level 18.  No quests are offered to add souls that I can find either.  I bugged it but more likely I'm just not understanding something.  Odd though that Pope can see most of the Cleric souls without having done any extra quests that I can recall.  Anyone else notice this?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »

There are quests to unlock the souls you didn't choose for the first 3.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »

I have a shaman/warden/justicar and it definitely feels like a warrior priest. What's so cool is I also have an inquisitor/purifier/cabalist which plays almost like a warrior mage, with a small tad of healing thrown in. 

The other classes I've messed with are a champion (didn't really gel with me) and a Paragon/Void Knight/Riftblade, a fun warrior combo that mows throw casters. And an Pyromancer/stormcaller a fire/ice/lightning wizard that plays pretty much just like you'd think. I have not tried the rogue yet, haven't decided what build I wanted to try first. 

I've gotten all (but the champion) to 10-12 but then seem to get sidetracked.

Anyway its a fun game.  The interface structure is a clone from wow but at least the cloned one that works in the first place.  The game play, well its been stated already as generally being copied from other games however it also works and is fun.  The classes are fantastic and almost put me in to altoholic paralysis. We'll see how this continues through beta.  I'm not ready to give it a thumbs up yet because they have plenty of time to screw things up before release (the pessimist in me) but I will give it guarded praise.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 09, 2011, 05:05:16 PM

There are quests to unlock the souls you didn't choose for the first 3.

Damned if I can find them.  Do you know where the Guardian mage soul quest giver is?  The mage trainer in Sanctum has nothing for me.

I preorderd and took the 6 month plan.  Figured I'd play that long anyway and it's a little cheaper than paying for 4 months, one month at a time.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:59 PM »

playing defiant so not sure.  Every possible soul has an npc representing them in town.  One of them will be active at a time and offering the quest.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25:22 PM »

Well, I like the game from what I've seen of it, although my sad little Alienware M17x can't seem to run it well.  Crash to desktop quite a bit.  Must use a similar platform to Dragon Age or something.  In any case, it has inspired me to get the motherboard and graphics cards replaced under warranty as I have so many issues with this crappy laptop.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »

if crashing, try Fullscreen Windowed or just Windowed.  Helped me
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 09, 2011, 07:03:59 PM

playing defiant so not sure.  Every possible soul has an npc representing them in town.  One of them will be active at a time and offering the quest.

The mage guys are in Argent not Sanctum.  Found the pyro guy and completed the quest.  Will respec to pyro later today.  How 'bout a little fire scarecrow!

We have a Wanderers guild now for Guardians.

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »

What server? Byriel?
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »

Yup.

Made a pyro/warlock/dominator mage build this afternoon.  Liking it so far in PvE but have not played it in PvP.  A few of the best pyro spells have long cast times which is not good in most PvP situations.  We'll see how it goes.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2011, 10:00:15 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 09, 2011, 02:49:35 AM

Wall O' Text Incoming!

Nice write-up Blackadar, I appreciate all the detailed info.  That's what I was looking for... an unbiased objective viewpoint.

Too many anti-WoW haters out there, or pro-WoW fanboys.  Can't really trust what they say about other MMOs.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »

Any pvp type have any news on the PVP?   I would be very interested in that.   
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 10, 2011, 03:28:23 PM

Very similar to WAR in my limited experiences.  Scenarios like WAR and warfronts for open PvP (I didn't experience the latter).  Is there a particular question I can help answer?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »

Warfronts are the scenarios/battlegrounds
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2011, 07:02:02 PM »

Brief PvP overview at the Rift Wiki:  http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Player_vs_Player

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 10, 2011, 03:58:17 PM

Quote from: Morgul on January 10, 2011, 03:28:23 PM

Very similar to WAR in my limited experiences.  Scenarios like WAR and warfronts for open PvP (I didn't experience the latter).  Is there a particular question I can help answer?

Uhmm...

Well, The most fun I have had in pvp was wow, world pvp.   Fresh server, everyone around the same level, etc.   Standing there talking to a quest giver and blam, warlock dotting you up from behind a rock.
Loved that stuff.

And , uhh...

Believe it or not, I played a character to max level in war (at launch) and cannot even remember what the hell pvp was like in it. ( world wise.)
 I do remember the insta bg ques from anywhere in the world, and then wow incorperating it into their game.  But thats about it.

I guess I am getting old.   All the games seem to blur together allot, heh.

I guess as long as it has pvp built into it it has my attention, maybe I will start digging around more on the game.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

Ahh, I remember war was supposed to be like DAOC world pvp but for some reason it was all screwed up and didnt really work...

I cant remember fighting anyone in world pvp either...    But I do remember the battlegrounds...   And those "mangled arm dudes" were overpowered..   
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 10, 2011, 07:35:01 PM

Ahh, I remember war was supposed to be like DAOC world pvp but for some reason it was all screwed up and didnt really work...

I cant remember fighting anyone in world pvp either...    But I do remember the battlegrounds...   And those "mangled arm dudes" were overpowered..  

PvP in Rift seemed very similar to WAR's PvP.  I can't speak about class balance because I simply didn't PvP enough to make that kind of judgment.  Some people say Clerics are OP and I might be inclined to believe them.  But there are supposedly 3 scenarios (Warfronts) per every 10 levels, though only 1 kept coming up for me.  Scenarios didn't pop very quickly when I was on - perhaps an average of a 10 minute wait - and took only a few minutes to complete.  Nothing struck me as extraordinary, but it felt pretty solid.  I hope some of their Warfronts are more imaginative than what I've seen, though.

Here's a video of some PvP gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIaCbs7HQc
(lousy music)

And some more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WyBXsYZxA&feature=related

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »

I will check those out when I get home.   

Thanks Black.

Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2011, 04:43:23 AM »

Love the game and cant wait for it to go live!

Scott
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2011, 04:48:27 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 10, 2011, 07:35:01 PM

I cant remember fighting anyone in world pvp either...    But I do remember the battlegrounds...   And those "mangled arm dudes" were overpowered..  

You don't remember any world pvp in WAR?  That was 90% of the game.

World PvP in WAR started around level 5 when you get to the first RvR lake.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:51:18 AM by skystride » Logged
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:57 AM »

here's a nice collection of screen shots I've found:

MMORPG
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »

One of the better user-made videos from Beta 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tevzEc6IBaE&feature=player_embedded

Shows general game play, beautiful graphics, lousy character animations, etc.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »

Clerics are currently a bit crazy in pvp, here's one of the many ways it can happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh2lA4wjPrk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuAsApchiM&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:46:41 PM by Harkonis » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: