http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:08:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 75226 times)
Aganazer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »

There was a large beta event last weekend. I was not a part of this event, but impressions seem to be readily available from many places. Most of these impressions are very positive. I'll summarize the more popular comments that I have read about.

• The game does not try to add anything particularly innovative. It has no gimmick like AoC's directional attacks and defenses. Spun in a negative way, people are calling it another WoW clone.
  • The game is highly polished. I have not heard about a single person with technical problems or even minor game bugs. The developers seem to understand that beta = preview.
  • Many people's comments seem to indicate that while they acknowledge that it is a very polished and complete MMOG, they won't be playing it at release. A large number of people aren't feeling particularly motivated or inspired by the beta.
  • The only complaints I've read about so far are the character animations. They aren't as smooth as WoW.

This is all making me very optimistic because I'm used to hearing very bad things after a beta event this large.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:44:18 PM by naednek » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »

Collectors editions and pre-order bonus's.  the boxed version also has:

8GB USB Drive: Exclusive flash drive branded with the Rift logo
Official Rift Soundtrack: Featuring 17 epic tracks from acclaimed game composer Inon Zur
SteelSeries gaming mouse pad featuring detailed art of a blistering Fire Rift
Telara Chronicles Trade Hardcover: All five issues of the gripping graphic novel miniseries based on the Rift universe in one limited-edition hardbound book

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »

I got to play Rift in the beta last night. The NDA is dropped so I can be as detailed and brutally honest as I'd like.

I was very impressed. It has all of the ease-of-use features that we have come to expect in a game like WoW, but without the childish cartoon goofiness that can make WoW so offensive to some.

There are a few significant departures from WoW:

1. The graphics are about 1000 times more detailed. I really like the art style and the technology of the graphics. The shadows and lighting in particular are very nice. I saw a MOB waving a torch around and the light source moved with the torch and flickered appropriately. It was very realistic.

2. Its a lot harder than WoW. One unexpected additional critter and I would need to drink a potion. Two adds and I'm dead. I really like this. I had to be aware at all times and felt some motivation to be in a group. After just having completed 64 levels in WoW with zero challenge (seriously, I died from falling once and that is it), Rift is going to be a real treat if they don't nerf it.

3. The customization of the soul system is huge. Its like the game has dozens of classes. The variety of builds within a class will be more varied than any game we have seen in a while.

My only complaint is that the story and writing weren't very compelling. It felt like a generic "we're at war... you're the savior... everyone is counting on you!". I can forgive it though since the detailed environments were immersive enough to make me want to explore everything without worrying about why I am there.

Unless something significant changes between now and release, I can safely call myself a Rift fanboi.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »

I pray at some point in the distant future any MMO can be judged on its own and not as "how it relates to WoW." I bought WoW, never got into it, and comparisons to WoW don't mean anything to me. I don't blame people at all for constantly drawing comparisons to the 900 lbs. gorilla, but for those of us who aren't WoW fans or players, we could use a different comparison as a yardstick now and then.  icon_smile I don't know anything about rift, never heard of it or read so much as an article about it.

I can fish around the official site of course. Though for the sake of conversation, couldn't someone give me a Reader's Digest summary of it?  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 29, 2010, 03:08:16 PM

I pray at some point in the distant future any MMO can be judged on its own and not as "how it relates to WoW." I bought WoW, never got into it, and comparisons to WoW don't mean anything to me. I don't blame people at all for constantly drawing comparisons to the 900 lbs. gorilla, but for those of us who aren't WoW fans or players, we could use a different comparison as a yardstick now and then.  icon_smile I don't know anything about rift, never heard of it or read so much as an article about it.

I can fish around the official site of course. Though for the sake of conversation, couldn't someone give me a Reader's Digest summary of it?  icon_smile

WoW is just an easy reference point since everyone not name Blackjack is familiar with it.  Tongue

It was clearly designed with the intention of allowing people that are familiar with WoW to jump right into it without having to relearn the interface. Everything in the interface is laid out similar to WoW, even the options screens and terminology.

Here is a good place for a quick summary of what Rift is:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/12/22/rift-beta-massivelys-first-impressions/
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »

I've been following Rift for a couple months.  Have a friend who's participated in Beta events.  Not actually 'played' it myself.  The game was developed (and made) in a way that makes it easy to compare to quite a few fantasy MMO's out on the market now, with WoW or Warhammer Online being pretty natural comparisons due to some of the mechanics.  The class system reminds me of Guild Wars a little in that you can "multiclass" and choose skills based on that, albeit without the monstrous number of choices one had with GW in terms of actual skills/abilities you were able to learn.  I find the animations to be above average, and in particular think the magic looks excellent. 

The 'selling points' for me personally are the fact that the game is centered around a sort of Elemental Plane war between Fire, Earth, Air, Water, Life, and Death.  I think that's pretty cool.  The idea that the game engine automatically spawns rifts into the natural world that come to life and spew forth elemental creatures based on the element itself it neat.  These are apparantly going to be quite dynamic, and will somehow calculate how many people are around this 'public quest' type deal, and spit out enemies accordingly.  A neat idea that Tabula Rasa never could quite get right, but was always cool in concept. 

The game looks (and from word of mouth is) impressively polished and ready to play.  I predict it will die, like all the rest do.  But I am interested enough in it (and the neat soul/class system) to give it a go for a couple months.  How long an MMO lasts never really affects me anyway, as I burn out well before they run their cycle.  But this one looks good enough to give a go.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

So its a Captain Planet MMO? sweet!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 05:40:14 PM »

this sounds kind of neat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »

There are quite a few vids popping up on the game now, but it can be tough to find the good ones.

If you want an idea how the "Class" system works, and why it reminds me a little bit of Guild Wars, check out this video.  It's not too long, but does a decent job explaining things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB1moIKLMQM&feature=related

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 05:24:46 AM »

I got in through Fileplanet and played an hour or so today.  Really liked everything I saw.  Yes, it's MOTS in terms of quests/levels, etc - but somehow it feels like a fresher experience.  The graphics were top notch from the getgo, and they make you feel like you're a part of something "big" from the getgo.  No killing of rats and collecting poop or whatever lol.  The class system seems very promising, essentially you get to choose 3 sub-classes to build your toon's main skills, and then customize talent trees from there.  Very interesting- seems like a lot of possible variation.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »

I have it, however wasn't able to get in before the event ended Friday.  I'm looking forward to trying this out!
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 02:31:14 AM »

I was in the first three beta events.  Random thoughts:  It's the most polished beta I've ever seen.  Like the soul system.  Rifts and invasions are a hoot.  They remind me of WAR PQ's only they are dynamic.  Lots of other nice touches.  Graphics are very well done.  Nothing really revolutionary but it is fun.  Hoping to get a look at PvP in the next event but I don't have a VIP key so we'll see.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »

Beta 4 starts Friday.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »

I got an email from nVidia with a beta invite key (which may or may not get me into the next event apparently  disgust) but I don't know whether to bother; being similar to WoW is a major negative for me, but the class system sounds cool.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 03, 2011, 06:40:00 PM

I got an email from nVidia with a beta invite key (which may or may not get me into the next event apparently  disgust) but I don't know whether to bother; being similar to WoW is a major negative for me, but the class system sounds cool.

Really depends on what parts of WoW are the ones that bother you.  Pretty much any MMORPG will be WoW-like in some regard, if only because the core mechanics of classes, quests, xp, etc are so standard in the genre.  I found that for whatever reason Rift seemed to rise above the things that bother me about WoW, with just enough of a twist to make it seem new and interesting.  The environment feels much more vibrant and alive, and the class system gives you at least the illusion that you are making the character your own.  The latter is the biggest draw for me; I found even at level 8 I was tweaking points left and right so I could have access to a particular skill while sacrificing another.  (Basically at level 6 you get to choose 3 sub-classes which each open a page similar to a WoW Talent page, or maybe more accurately to a Diablo skill tree page.  As you invest points in one subclass/tree, it gives you minor boosts like WoW talents, but also unlocks skills you wouldn't otherwise get, like Diablo.  So it's kind of a hybrid between D2/WoW - with the cool exception that you get to pick the 3 trees.)

As Elmo mentions, the rifts/invasions are a mix of WAR PQs with the flavor of Aion's rifts.  I don't know how often they intend to have that sort of activity, but it definitely is a refreshing change/mix from the standared quest fare.  

If you're a fan of the genre, I defintely think it's worth giving it a chance, and this is coming from someone who's been pretty jaded for the past couple years.  
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »

Alright Rittchard, you've talked me into it.  I'll give it a go. smile

Steam profile
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39:38 PM »

Ritt got me too.  If only the Rift site would come back up so I could register.  I got the same invite that Huw did.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »

Well, that's all done now and they accepted my beta invite key.  I've also installed the game apparently, despite it being only a ~20MB download.  Does that mean another MMORPG has finally stolen one of Guild Wars' best features - streaming required content rather than downloading everything all at once?

Steam profile
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 04, 2011, 09:26:03 AM

Well, that's all done now and they accepted my beta invite key.  I've also installed the game apparently, despite it being only a ~20MB download.  Does that mean another MMORPG has finally stolen one of Guild Wars' best features - streaming required content rather than downloading everything all at once?

Run the game and you should get more content downloaded even though you can't play yet.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 04, 2011, 09:26:03 AM

WoW does the streaming content while playing as well
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 08:53:27 PM »

Huw, did you get a formal invite for this weekend's event?  I registered and entered my key, but I think we still need a formal invite?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »

Quote from: Fez on January 04, 2011, 08:53:27 PM

Huw, did you get a formal invite for this weekend's event?  I registered and entered my key, but I think we still need a formal invite?

Yeah, we still need an invite.  I just tried launching the client to get the updates as Elmo suggested, but got a curt "you are not authorised to play the game".

Steam profile
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »

A VIP key gets you into all the events.  A regular key gives you a "chance" to get into an event.  My regular key got me into the first three.  No word on #4 yet.  But pre-order info is up and that guarantees you access.   icon_wink

Rift Set to Launch March 1, 2011

Retail and Digital Pre-Order Start Today

REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. – January 4, 2011 – Trion Worlds, a global publisher and developer of premium online games, today announced that the upcoming MMORPG Rift™ is scheduled to launch in North America on March 1st and in Europe on March 4th. Today also marks the start of the game’s pre-order program through both digital and retail channels.

“The launch of Rift is the culmination of our tireless efforts over the past several years to bring players the most complete, full-featured, and dynamic online game they’ve ever experienced,” said Lars Buttler, CEO of Trion Worlds. “Through the dedication, creativity, and incredible track record of our veteran development team, we’ve been able to create an exceptionally polished and immersive online world filled with adventure, surprise, and beauty. We can’t wait to share Rift with players around the world.”

Beginning today, customers who pre-order Rift receive their choice of one-of-three exclusive in-game pets, and are eligible to participate in the head-start period anticipated to begin February 24th. Pre-order customers will also be granted access to play in all remaining closed-beta events. Beta details, including a regularly updated event schedule, are available at http://www.RIFTgame.com/beta.

Available for purchase online and at select retail outlets, the Standard, Digital Collector’s and Retail Collector’s Editions of the game will sell for $49.99, $59.99 and $79.99 USD, respectively. The standard monthly subscription rate for the game will be $14.99 USD.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 01:02:42 AM »

So what is the general consensus on this come launch?  Are there a bunch of folks from GT/OO planning on playing this?  I am trying to get back into WoW, but it just isn't grabbing me as much as I had hoped.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 04:43:57 AM »

Hmm I just checked out some of the previews and this may be my type of game.  I've been disappointed with every single MMO in 2010.  Maybe this will tide me over until Guild Wars 2.  I'm also not a WoW fan partly because of the low poly count but the graphics in Rift seem a lot better.  Is it as good as Aion (hard to say from youtube vids)?

I guess my main concern is who the hell is Trion?  Do they have enough funding/experience to pull off a mmo?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:49:48 AM by skystride » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:47 AM »

Definitely trying to come up with the money to preorder and give this a shot.  Looks great.  I'm actually liking WoW more than ever this time through so having a fresh game that's similar but evolved may be a good thing.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 08:33:43 AM »

Quote from: skystride on January 05, 2011, 04:43:57 AM

Is it as good as Aion (hard to say from youtube vids)?

There are 1080p vids on the official site.

Steam profile
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 05, 2011, 04:43:57 AM

I guess my main concern is who the hell is Trion?  Do they have enough funding/experience to pull off a mmo?

I certainly think so. There are a lot of industry vets, and one of the two founders/Executive Producer of the game was one of the higher-ups in both EQ and EQ2 (and, bizarrely, was my GM in early EQ when he was just a player like any other).
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »

Well I went ahead and preordered the game.  The class system really interests me as do the concepts of the rifts. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »

I am 100 percent IN! for Rift.

If a guild starts from here or OO, I'm there.

LD

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »

Well, looks like I won't get an invite for this weekend.  A few others have already reported receiving invites.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »

I don't have an invite either, but I'm really not fussed to be honest.  The more I read about the game, the more I see the phrase "if you like WoW, you'll like Rift".  Well, I don't like WoW, so my hopes for Rift aren't very high.  Still willing to give it a chance though.

Steam profile
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »

I enjoyed the beta events but have not decided whether to pony up for the game or not.  Too many games, too little time...

Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 03:28:57 AM »

Has anyone whose done the pre-order received an email or beta invite based solely on that? Both a friend and I did the digital pre-order, which is full price up front rather then the $5-$10 dollar deposit gamestop charges, and neither of us has heard from the company yet. Only reason we did the pre-order at this point was for the beta invites  Roll Eyes
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »

I think the pre-order gets you into the headstart which begins around Feb 24th, ahead of the full launch in early March.

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »

dear gods I hate you guys...

yes yes, I'll get the preorder then... bah

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »

Haha!  Well, to be fair, it's probably been at least a week since you last bought a MMORPG. smile

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 08:09:39 AM »

hehe yeah, I'm beginning to feel the cravings :-D I think I'll write a book, "Razgon, an MMO-Whore"..

You getting the pre-order Huw?

A new one
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:43 AM »

According to the official website pre-ordering the game is suppsoed to get you entry in to all future Beta Events, i.e. you get a VIP key. https://www.riftgame.com/en/products/

That being said according to the forums Trions whole pre-order beta entry plan has become a total cluster f..k for both digital and retail purchaser's. They are "working to straighten things out". Not boding well already.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 06, 2011, 08:09:39 AM

You getting the pre-order Huw?

Nah, I don't think the Force is particularly strong with this one.  I'm interested in taking a look but I won't buy it until I do and if it seems really good.

In truth my playtime is too limited and sporadic to commit to a MMORPG.  The only reason I keep looking at them is that it's pretty much my favourite kind of game.

Steam profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: