http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 12:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift goes Free to Play  (Read 1211 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:52 PM »

as of June 12th, with the usual monthly subscription still available.

Is there still a subscription? What does it offer?

Yes! Subscribers will be known as Patrons and receive a host of special benefits and abilities:

+15% Currency (always on)
    +10% Mount Speed (always on)
    Daily Boost Set: Each day you can activate bonuses to the Experience, Notoriety, Favor, Prestige and Tokens you earn while playing.
    Daily Summons: Instant access to your banker, guild banker, and trainer. You'll receive access to these convenience features on a set cooldown.

Non-recurring Patron Passes are available in-game! Visit the RIFT Store for instant access to Patron benefits for 3, 15, or 30 days.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »

I tried getting back into Rift a while back and just found it kinda...dull.  After the active combat systems in GW2, Tera, and Neverwinter, I'm not sure I could go back to just spamming an attack rotation over and over again.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 14, 2013, 05:45:43 PM

I tried getting back into Rift a while back and just found it kinda...dull.  After the active combat systems in GW2, Tera, and Neverwinter, I'm not sure I could go back to just spamming an attack rotation over and over again.

had the same issue when I tried going back to Age of Conan last weekend; I used to love their combat system but it just feels clunky now.  still, I liked the world of Rift enough to at least give it another go with free to play.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2013, 06:24:55 PM

I tried getting back into Rift a while back and just found it kinda...dull.  After the active combat systems in GW2, Tera, and Neverwinter, I'm not sure I could go back to just spamming an attack rotation over and over again.

had the same issue when I tried going back to Age of Conan last weekend; I used to love their combat system but it just feels clunky now.  still, I liked the world of Rift enough to at least give it another go with free to play.
To be fair, AoC as originally released was more focused on key combos, almost like a fighting game. Some required 3 coordinated key presses to trigger an attack.

I liked that aspect (here I even suggested it would've made light saber usage in SWTOR more fun), but the major AoC updates years later seemed to prune back most of that combo-key stuff to the point that it removed the game's most unique combat feature and rendered it a routine key-basher, imho.

I mean, nudity will only get your mmorpg so far.  Fabulous

As for Rift, if the F2P switch at least brings in enough players for the massive combat events to be more massive as they were closer to launch, I might at least re-visit.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:05:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 15, 2013, 08:02:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2013, 06:24:55 PM

had the same issue when I tried going back to Age of Conan last weekend; I used to love their combat system but it just feels clunky now.  still, I liked the world of Rift enough to at least give it another go with free to play.
To be fair, AoC as originally released was more focused on key combos, almost like a fighting game. Some required 3 coordinated key presses to trigger an attack.

I liked that aspect (here I even suggested it would've made light saber usage in SWTOR more fun), but the major AoC updates years later seemed to prune back most of that combo-key stuff to the point that it removed the game's most unique combat feature and rendered it a routine key-basher, imho.

I was wondering about that.  When I played I got into combat and was all prepared to start hitting keys, but then discovered that wasn't there any more.  then I looked at my character nude one last time and uninstalled.

biggrin

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 06:17:08 AM »

I never played Rift and might give this a go. I can enjoy a lot of different genres of MMO's, but if character building is simple, I rarely stick with them. So what's the complexity of character build like in it?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 16, 2013, 06:17:08 AM

I never played Rift and might give this a go. I can enjoy a lot of different genres of MMO's, but if character building is simple, I rarely stick with them. So what's the complexity of character build like in it?

The combinations of souls means there are near limitless character builds, and a given character can switch between builds out of combat (ranged, melee, tank, dps, etc.) However, just like any other MMO, if you plan on doing high level dungeon content, be prepared to be forced to use whatever cookie-cutter build has been deemed top dps or hps. But if you just want to do your own thing there's quite a few different ways to play. They also introduced templates so you can try some sample builds if you'd like.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »

I'm playing it, now at level 13, and really enjoying it. I started a week or so back with the free unlock offer from Razer-Raptr. That really paid off because they day it went f2p I got some nice perks and points to spend. The f2p really brought in a heap of new players and I spent a few hours last night just doing rift battles and raiding.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »

I was going to start playing again, downloaded it and everything.  Then I found out that subscribers get a 10% mount speed boost even in PvP... Done.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 12:14:35 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 18, 2013, 07:12:46 PM

I was going to start playing again, downloaded it and everything.  Then I found out that subscribers get a 10% mount speed boost even in PvP... Done.

I have no problem with this at all.  They opened almost the entire game (8 of the 9 souls and all of the new expansion) to everyone in addition to increasing the coin/sell limits and decreasing chat/mail restrictions.  If they want to give the people who still pay $10-$15 a month a minor boost in a game that's always been centered on PvE then more power to them.  It's truly one of the least restrictive F2P games out right now.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 12:30:49 AM »

Hark and I played Rift solely for the PVP so I'm out on this as well.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »

Quote from: ericb on June 19, 2013, 12:14:35 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on June 18, 2013, 07:12:46 PM

I have no problem with this at all.  They opened almost the entire game (8 of the 9 souls and all of the new expansion) to everyone in addition to increasing the coin/sell limits and decreasing chat/mail restrictions.  If they want to give the people who still pay $10-$15 a month a minor boost in a game that's always been centered on PvE then more power to them.  It's truly one of the least restrictive F2P games out right now.

I totally agree. Rift's F2P options are frankly amazing and it's now just 'subscribe if you like the game, although you may want to toss $20 down for the expansion Souls'. I know I'm enjoying the heck out of it myself right now.

If you preferred PvP however...well, that's your choice. But 10% is not much of a boost at all when you can pretty easily get a 110% speed mount (at level 1) if you were subscribed for a few months somewhere down the line. I think I only had 3 months subbed and that bonus along with spending the $20 for the expansion Souls pushed me into the next tier and gave that to me for free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »

I can get a 110% mount, but if they get one as well, they are now at 120% movespeed and I can't ever get away or catch them.  It kills pvp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: