http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 07:16:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Return to the original Everquest - 3 Years Later (56K Warning)  (Read 14238 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:53:18 AM »

Sony is doing the Living Legacy promotion for Everquest & Everquest 2. Basically if you had an account in either game you can play for free until July 25th. Not only that but you have access to all the expansion packs - you can download them for free.

So after being away from the original EQ for 3 years I figured I would log back in and visit some old haunts. Plus I was curious to see what changed 10 expansion packs later.

When I last left off they had released the Shadows of Luclin expansion which had graphical overhaul updating the old character models and updating the UI. But I soon stopped playing it so this was the UI I mostly remember.

If you switched to full screen none of the icons or windows would appear. When the Luclin expansion came out they allowed icons and windows to be displayed full screen.

Here's what the new UI looks like.

This is actually the new tutorial zone for the game. As you can see you still have to kill rats and bats.

So I visited a bunch of old haunts including the Common Lands. The Common Lands tunnel used to be the hub of sales. You would basically take your wares and park yourself at the tunnel and use the chat channels to make deals on items you had. I can recall I made a mint on selling dragoon dirks as, being an evil race, I had two different locations to acquire them from (one from Oggok). Here's what the Common Lands tunnel used to look like:

And now here is what it looks like when I visited it 3 years later:

Empty. There wasn't a single person to hear my cry of SOW PLZ! in the entire zone. The Luclin add-on featured some new merchant type dealies that started killing off the Common Lands tunnel selling. I'm sure there were other features added too that made selling even easier.

So I continued on and made my way to Oasis, which I found no longer exists. It was redone and now is just part of Southern Ro. It received a graphical upgrade it looks like but everything is still there. The spectre tower is still there and I saw a giant as I went through. The big hangout there was at the docks:

Sadly with the exception of one other person one some mechanical beast the zone was empty and there were no cries of "GAINTS TO DOCKS!" nor was Lockjaw anywhere to be seen.

I have to admit though that with the graphical upgrades the nights of Ro look nice even for this aging engine.

A visited a bunch of other haunts like Befallen, Misty Thicket, Nektolus Forest (which was also revamped) and the starting city of my main Oggok - which hasn't changed a lick since I was there. It's been a blast visiting all these places I haven't been to in years.

So if you're looking to kill some time check out the Living Legacy promotion for either EQ, EQ2 or both: http://livinglegacy.station.sony.com/

Just be prepared for some major downloading and patching - ugh.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:12:59 AM »

I'm in also, on Ferrin Ro as a Beastmaster.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »

Ah, how I remember EQ1. So many great memories. They've really changed how things look though. Wow.

While the game looks nice (I've fired off the tutorial 'demo' a few times to look at it from time to time), I can't go back to it because the camera control is an utter joke compared to newer games. I can't figure out how I used to play the game so long ago.

BTW - they haven't changed the difficulty at all, either. I almost got killed in an epic 3 minute battle with the very first rat I encountered.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »

Wow, at least they fixed the horrifying textures a bit.  I just know I can't go back - things have progressed so much since then.  What was the server population like?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »

Hehe, looking at that top screenshot I find it amazing I ever lived with such a small play window and cluttered interface.

Definitely brings back some good memories though. To this day, EQ1 is still the most fun I ever had in an MMO, period. I think every other MMO title I've bought over the years has been this futile effort to capture the same magic.

I remember when I first bought EQ, and after 2 or 3 days of playing I absolutely hated the game. It seemed this pointless exercise in running around just outside Freeport killing rats. It was difficult, tedious, I almost shelved the game right then and there but I was hearing so much good buzz I knew there had to be something more to it.

So one day I decided I'd jump on the ship at the docks and see what the hell that was all about. I get on the ship, and there are a bunch of other players on there excitedly talking about the other continent, visiting the dwarf city, etc. Then the ship starts moving, and I realize we're actually sailing to another land. It was just this big, "Ho....ly....shit....." moment when I realized that this was not like other games I had played. This was a "real" world. I could travel, I could talk to other people. I didn't have to stay in Freeport killing rats. I could do whatever I wanted. The game hooked me at that very moment, and I ended up playing for the next 2 1/2 years straight.  icon_biggrin

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »

Wow.  Thanks a lot for posting that, Crawley.  It really brings back some memories.  I'll have to head back in to EQ1 just to play tourist for a while.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »

Oh how I miss the launch days of playing a troll SK, one of the heaviest xp penalized combos in the game.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »

Great thread.  The old game looks pretty good graphically.  Oh how I miss my Gnome SK and his band of vertically challenged misfits in Three Feet Under.

I also use to love giving tours of Crushbone with my paladin that ended with a lovely view and then cliff dive into the lake below.   Got quite a few platinum tips for those, which at the time and for his level was huge!

I made a revisit soon after the Dungeons of Norrath expansion and started over from scratch.  It was a fantastic expansion and kept me busy for 4-6 months and I managed to level 2 toons to 40+.  The goblin camps In Butcherblock had their loot tables redone and they would drop items worth 1-3 plat.  This made outfitting a newb very easy.  I was dumbfounded that most folks had no idea about this as I was constantly getting compliments on my gear for my level(having no high lvl mains to twink).  Good stuff!  I think I'll revist;)

morlac00 on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 11, 2008, 03:13:05 PM

Great thread.  The old game looks pretty good graphically.  Oh how I miss my Gnome SK and his band of vertically challenged misfits in Three Feet Under.

Awesome!  Some of my best EQ memories are of my gnome warrior.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »

My last EQ character was a halfling druid named Foggil.

When I finally decided to quit EQ for good, I took Foggil to that little island you could get to by jumping off one of the boats that had a "dinosaur" on it. I took one final screenshot of the dinosaur getting ready to chomp him to bits, and that was the end of my adventures in Norrath (until EQ2 came along!)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »

Going to give AOC a little more time in the oven.
Updating EQ2 as we speak.

Will prolly install EQ 1 as well for shit and giggles.

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »

Fennin Ro was my old server. After seeing those pics I could never go back. Ill continue to remember it as it was, not as it has become. It can never match what it was in the beginning when the zones were full, the look was all new, and all my friends were there with me all night long. frown  crybaby

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »

Not all the old zones were redone. In fact many are just the same. The character I took around the original zones started in Oggok and, except for a few additional NPCs using the new character graphic look, Oggok is still the same as it once was.

Even the starting tower is still there. I always felt this was a nasty new character starting point as you couldn't tell you were high up. So if you moved forward after entering the world you fell and died.

As you can see the guards are identical to how they originally looked as well as the same textures and zone appearance. And many of the original areas didn't get graphical overhauls. So upon wandering out to Ferrot all the creatures I remember were wandering around and camped exactly where they were 3 years ago.

Including this guy which I fondly recall killing over and over again.

Some of the original game mechanics of EQ are still in play which most other MMORPGs have done away with. For instance it was a shocker to me to remember you could only memorize 8 spells at a time. Not only that but to memorize a spell you had to go through the process of sitting down, opening your spell book, clicking on a spell icon, moving the spell icon to the spell hot bar, and then waiting for the spell to memorize.

I can also recall how dangerous it was to memorize spells as the spell book used to take up the entire screen. So you had to sit there and hope that wandering monsters wouldn't attack. That mechanic is gone at least now.

One other thing that caught me off guard was that monsters flee in battle. I was crossing So Ro when an orc attacked me. After fighting it for a bit and getting the orcs health down he started running!

It stunned me as I totally forgot about the fleeing monsters. So off I went chasing the orc. I had to make sure I was in range so my auto-attack would go off. It wasn't easy, especially at the end where the monsters slow down as their health gets lower. Near the end you have to tap the forward button every few seconds so stay in auto-attack range or else the monster will heal up and come at you again in a few minutes.

But as you can see I finally got the orc after chasing him down for a minute or two.

The other thing that I wasn't used to was that monsters don't give up after they're engaged. Later I had logged in a higher level character and visited The Overthere in Kunark. I ended up angering a few guards by mistake. I turned around and ran for a bit to get them off my tail. When I turned around to go back I was shocked to see they were still coming at me! The only way to break agro in this game is to kill the monster, die, or do what I did and run across the entire zone (The Overthere is HUGE) to zone in to a new area. I had forgotten how nasty the game was in this respect.

Its all fun though. I haven't tried dieing yet but will have to give that a go as I hear its a bit easier on you. There's a bunch of other zones I still want to check out too in Kunark like the gigantic bridge in Firona Vie and that tower I forgot the name of where one floor has a wedding taking place. Should be fun.

* minor grammatical, spelling and content edits - this time without boss interruption.  ninja
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:02:07 PM by Crawley » Logged
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »

Stop your evil posting I beg thee!

EQ2 updated and ready to go.  *looks with longing at his Everquest Evolution CD packet*

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »

Ive been considering going back to EQ2..I figure Id need the exp packs and Im not sure they are worth it. But I didn't have a high lvl guy. I was evil and I had just gotten to nek forrest. I helped build the new towers there ..the flight ones. Was fun. Musta been 3 or 4 years ago. Back then you have to get to a certain lvl before you could be the class you wanted. I hear its all different now.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 08:16:06 PM »

It's way different now slywink.  Also as mentioned in the link in the OP, just log into your old account for free play till august 1st, including all the expansions for free.  I'm fiddling around with my guys on a pvp server atm.  It looks gorgeous on my new rig. Eq, DAOC and EQ2
have all held my 'favorite' mmorpg title at one time or the other.

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »

Wait EQ2 is free right now?

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 11, 2008, 11:20:44 PM

I didn't get any kind of e-mail telling me that it was free but from this post I logged into Station with my old account and my EQ2 account is active until August 1. Downloading now...

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  EQ was my first MMO, and every other MMO I've played has been me trying to recreate the experience.  There was something so magical about EQ.  It was so immersive and I remember it like a real place.  I remember what the Desert of Ro smelled like.  The brutal death penalty and the slow pace of progression really made it more of a home and a place to be explored.  The comparative lack of quests also made it fun to just get into pickup groups and kill monsters.

I'd like to try it out again, but I'm afraid I would be disappointed.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »

I remember how all characters stood around with their arms up and weapons in hand. Then one day they fixed it so you could relax your arms by your side and it was considered a large improvement smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 02:28:02 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 11, 2008, 08:03:15 PM

Ive been considering going back to EQ2..I figure Id need the exp packs and Im not sure they are worth it. But I didn't have a high lvl guy. I was evil and I had just gotten to nek forrest. I helped build the new towers there ..the flight ones. Was fun. Musta been 3 or 4 years ago. Back then you have to get to a certain lvl before you could be the class you wanted. I hear its all different now.

Well, not only is EQ2 free (until the end of July), but if you resubscribe (with your free account), you get the Kunark expansion absolutely free (technically you have to pay the $15 monthly fee to get it). Not only is Timmerous Deep the absolutely best place by far to start a n00b character off in (all races can travel there to level up in, and you get items that'll last you to level 30 easily), but if you get the true Kunark expansion (the one that was on store shelves), you get EVERY expansion they've released in that product.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 11, 2008, 11:20:44 PM

Jump on in and make a toon on Venekor(SP) for some pvp action smile  I'll shower you with presents slywink

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2008, 02:28:02 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on June 11, 2008, 08:03:15 PM

Well, not only is EQ2 free (until the end of July), but if you resubscribe (with your free account), you get the Kunark expansion absolutely free (technically you have to pay the $15 monthly fee to get it). Not only is Timmerous Deep the absolutely best place by far to start a n00b character off in (all races can travel there to level up in, and you get items that'll last you to level 30 easily), but if you get the true Kunark expansion (the one that was on store shelves), you get EVERY expansion they've released in that product.

If I'm reading it correctly if you resub after the free trial you get ALL the expansions for free, not just Kunark. This should also include all the mini expansion they have released(Bloodlines, Splitpaw, etc.).

"Free Rise of Kunark All-In-One Pack
Access the latest content; keep a complimentary digital copy of this compilation version of the game when you convert to a monthly subscription plan for EQII."

Also you get 5$ off the next expansion that is coming in the fall.  They are planning some special live events during this free period as well.  I always love those.

Note this free period is also good if all you ever did was the free trial in the isle thingie.  They are very good at pulling me back in slywink
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:00:47 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 03:01:55 PM »

I remember with Austin and a 3rd account with a useless character we didn't need - so we started doing that sacrifice dealy where you get some kind of gem for a (full xp death), and we killed this ranger character over and over from like 50 to who knows where.

The fun part is we had the ranger begging for his (her?) life, and running around yelling help me, before dying again.  People were concerned and they thought something fishy was going on, and the necro was receiving all sorts of "hey stop that" tells, lucky we didn't get banned!

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »

Ive downloaded EQ2 and the exp packs..its now grabbing the sound packs for me. Im on Butcherblock with my mains. I suppose I could create anywhere if someone wanted to group up.

Baroquen131
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 12, 2008, 10:59:40 PM

Ive downloaded EQ2 and the exp packs..its now grabbing the sound packs for me. Im on Butcherblock with my mains. I suppose I could create anywhere if someone wanted to group up.

There are still about 6-8 of OOers who play on Oasis. We're very casual, but competent. You're always welcome there if you want company.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »

Thank you..Im casual myself. Very non hardcore..Im the guy that always gets out-lvld and left behind smile I like being guilded to chat and get info lol.

BTW any suggestions to class? I love both my bouncer and necro..was thinking of maybe trying a cross between a caster and melee'r...paladin or more likely since I like evil a shadowknight. Dont want to be gimped though. smile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:37:48 PM by Daehawk » Logged

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »

I think I still have a corpse i never got back at the bottom of that stupid hole in the tree in blackburrow.  I hated that.  I made a new toon after about a month of trying to get my corpse with my stuff on it back. 
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 12:10:11 AM »

Man, this brings back some memories. Some good times in there. Definitely some good times.

For the record, I played Fennin Ro as well...

I am the thunder. I am the lightning. I am the raging heart of the storm, and the rock, upon which the ocean breaks, and falls away.

I am War.

Haast
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 12, 2008, 11:35:18 PM

Thank you..Im casual myself. Very non hardcore..Im the guy that always gets out-lvld and left behind smile I like being guilded to chat and get info lol.

BTW any suggestions to class? I love both my bouncer and necro..was thinking of maybe trying a cross between a caster and melee'r...paladin or more likely since I like evil a shadowknight. Dont want to be gimped though. smile

I've got some on oasis as well with OO crew.  A 40ish Trobadour, a sub 20 Coercer and 22 Guardian. I'll be playing on there and on the PVP server some.  Dae, just play whatever you like.  I might be tempted to roll something new and we can duo if you like.  Let me know!

morlac00 on PSN
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »

I'm back in EQ2 and checking out the new Kunark starting area. Other than being completely empty (on Oasis anyway) it's been fun. I guess when I quit a little over a year ago it wasn't because I stopped enjoying the game...it was more about everyone I knew moved to LotRO. Since I'm done with trying to follow the ADD gamers (oh look a new shiny game) from OO I'm going to stick with what I enjoy.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »

We need to get you 2 guilded then if you are not already.
I think one of my guys has invite rights.
Send a tell to
Meciudu or Lymrik

Kunark is a fantastic starting are up until lvl 20 or so.  The quest rewards are silly good.

morlac00 on PSN
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 13, 2008, 04:21:03 PM

Send a tell to
Meciudu or Lymrik

Kunark is a fantastic starting are up until lvl 20 or so.  The quest rewards are silly good.

Yeah I noticed the rewards were pretty nice. I've also gotten about 10 chest drops up to level 10 already. Unfortunately I couldn't use any as a Fury but once I find the AH I'll be able to sell.

My biggest issue at the moment is figuring out what UI mod I used when I played before and getting it reconfigured.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 05:52:30 PM »

Quote from: QP on June 12, 2008, 03:01:55 PM

I remember with Austin and a 3rd account with a useless character we didn't need - so we started doing that sacrifice dealy where you get some kind of gem for a (full xp death), and we killed this ranger character over and over from like 50 to who knows where.

The fun part is we had the ranger begging for his (her?) life, and running around yelling help me, before dying again.  People were concerned and they thought something fishy was going on, and the necro was receiving all sorts of "hey stop that" tells, lucky we didn't get banned!

Ahh the memories.  I spent too much time buying and selling crap in that game.  Why oh why?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »

Ill be loggin in in a few min. ill see if one of your guys is on Mur....I think my toon's name is Tukar..he is a Iskar  shadowknight. I just made him for the Oasis server...never tried a hybrid class..my mains are a necro and a bouncer...Im tempted to make a new necro too..I love that class..my old one can just summon some kind of robed master zombie who can nuke stuff pretty well. Ill have to delete someone if I make a 2nd noob. frown

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

Quote from: RobbieD on June 13, 2008, 04:50:31 PM

Quote from: morlac on June 13, 2008, 04:21:03 PM

Send a tell to
Meciudu or Lymrik

Yeah I noticed the rewards were pretty nice. I've also gotten about 10 chest drops up to level 10 already. Unfortunately I couldn't use any as a Fury but once I find the AH I'll be able to sell.

My biggest issue at the moment is figuring out what UI mod I used when I played before and getting it reconfigured.

The base one is highly customizable, i just use it and and EQ maps for a nice map mod.  I escorted Dae to the newbie are in TD and gave him a couple presents!  He's all set...anyone else? smile

morlac00 on PSN
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on June 13, 2008, 12:10:11 AM

Man, this brings back some memories. Some good times in there. Definitely some good times.

For the record, I played Fennin Ro as well...

I am the thunder. I am the lightning. I am the raging heart of the storm, and the rock, upon which the ocean breaks, and falls away.

I am War.

Haast

Wow..didn't even see the poster name..just saw Haast...and I knew it would be you.  You trying this out at all?  I've got my EQ discs somewhere.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »

Btw Morlac...you might remember me as Eyan and was at one time an officer in the OO guild.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:03:42 PM by RobbieD » Logged

amuller33
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »

Howdy all, not sure if anyone remembers my but Victa the mispelling gnome here. Been back in EQ2 for a week now. anyonle lookig for an invite or group give me a hollar.

AJ
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »

Quote from: RobbieD on June 13, 2008, 09:02:05 PM

Btw Morlac...you might remember me as Eyan and was at one time an officer in the OO guild.

Indeed I do.  You all should join us smile.

Hey Victa!

There were 4 other folks logged in this morning in OO when I popped in on oasis.  Went up to 6 at one point smile

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: