http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:54:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quitting WoW - what's the best MMORPG for me?  (Read 4495 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2005, 11:42:54 AM »

I didn't pay much attention to MMORPGs because my PC was very old.  I finally bought a new one and got into WoW in a big way.  It now looks like I won't renew my subscription.  

To me, WoW is a great game from levels 1-59.  At 60 it's complete dogshit. I like small, easy to assemble groups.  I like to solo.  I like to craft.  At 60, there's none of this.  You either run in huge groups that take 2 hours to form, be a part of another 15 man instance raid group or now get in a 40-man raid to zerg Tauren Mill all over again.  That's it.  The latest "honor" patch shows me the game is going in the wrong direction...at least for me.  I was never interested in PvP.  I'm still not.  

I've taken two characters to level 60 and had a 3rd on the way when I pushed back from the screen the other day and said "what's the point"?  I don't play with my characters after level 60 anyway.  Many raid groups kick off at 9:00 PM during the week and I have a job (and a real life) that doesn't allow me to stay up to midnight running MC yet again.  I just can't bear to make another character and go through the 40s and 50s leveling grind knowing that I won't use him at level 60.

So it appears I'm done with WoW.

Here's what I'd like:

1.  A game that takes longer to level.  I don't mind it taking a while.  As long as there's not a ton of "grinding" to do it.  Mission-based exp is fine.
2.  A game where there's easy-to-find groups all the time and short (but rewarding) missions.
3.  A player base (as much as possible) that's not comprised of screaming 12 year olds.
4.  A game with a rewarding crafting system.  
5.  A game in which you can solo if you want with little trouble.

I tested out EQ2 but I really haven't gotten into it enough to tell.  There's CoH, the Matrix online and a few others.  What should I buy?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 11:56:57 AM »

EQ 1 maybe? I've played EQ 2, COH, WoW, AC1 and UO. I still enjoy WoW but EQ 1 always has a spot in my heart.

Ascendent
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 12:54:13 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
EQ 1 maybe? I've played EQ 2, COH, WoW, AC1 and UO. I still enjoy WoW but EQ 1 always has a spot in my heart.

Ascendent

EQ1 is a bit dated...

Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 01:09:35 PM »

I don't think you'll find a game that is as solo friendly as WOW, or even as casual friendly as WOW. If Blizzard raised the max level to 100, power levelers would hit that in a couple of weeks, then the whole problem starts over again. I'm not sure this can ever be solved in a level based game. I agree that hitting max sucks, because of the reasons you gave. I'm just not sure what the solution is. Are your computer specs still low? That rules out many options. In fact, there might not be anything at all, that's going to give you what WOW did from 1-59 level.

I'm not playing any mmorpg right now for the same reasons as you gave. I hate raiding, pvp, and grinding and that doesn't leave much out there.

When it comes to mmorpgs, I'd say you're SOL.

Welcome to the club  frown
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 02:32:15 PM »

You realize the things you listed describe WoW?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 03:27:54 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
You realize the things you listed describe WoW?

To Raven:  My computer specs are pretty good now.

To Jumangi:  No, they don't - not at level 60.  Let's take them one by one.

1. A game that takes longer to level. I don't mind it taking a while. As long as there's not a ton of "grinding" to do it. Mission-based exp is fine.

I've leveled 2 characters to 60 inside of 5 months and averaged about 2.5 hours per day doing it.  It's too easy to level in WoW.  I like the missions and exp.  I don't like how I can level up from level 34 to 35 in under 2.5 hours.  They should probably double the exp necessary per level in the game.

2. A game where there's easy-to-find groups all the time and short (but rewarding) missions.

During the endgame, the instances are horribly long and it takes literally hours to get a group assembled.  Even with guild raids, it takes a long time.  And many of these raids are scheduled to start at 8-9 EST - meaning they're not over until midnight.  I can't stay up that late.  I like grouping - I just hate the waiting for groups at level 60.  And since I've been a part of no less than 4 guilds across my 3 characters, this is the same everywhere no matter which guild you join.

3. A player base (as much as possible) that's not comprised of screaming 12 year olds.

WoW has more of their fair share of screaming 12 year olds.  Perhaps a game that's not the "MMORPG flavor of the month" may be in order.

4. A game with a rewarding crafting system.

WoW's crafting system isn't very rewarding.  You're far better off financially gathering raw materials and NOT crafting.  Crafted goods aren't very necessary and don't sell very well.  Crafting in UO was awesome.  Crafting here is a waste of time.  The major issue is that high-level goods don't take even some low-level items.  The crafting system would be MUCH more rewarding if high-level goods actually had a use and took some lower level components to make - like a sword taking iron, mithril AND arcanite.

5. A game in which you can solo if you want with little trouble.

This describes WoW and it is my favorite part of the game.  The ability to log on, grab a solo mission and go hunting is wonderful.  Unfortunately, at level 60, this part of the game completely vanishes.  There are no soloable quests at level 60.  It it took longer to get to 60, that would make up for it.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 03:58:59 PM »

Maybe Matrix Online? It's not exactly level-based, it's more skill-based. You supposedly can have a ton of skills then dump some to learn others but you can go back to the ones you had. Or something. I've been thinking about giving it a whirl, but I've got my eye on the SWG combat revamp moreso than anything else. If that essentially restarts the game as it looks like it might, then I'll probably jump back into that for a while.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 03:59:31 PM »

I've also burned out on WOW too with almost your exact list of complaits and wishes. While I havent touched a MMO since then, I can list a few that maybe you havent played and should look into.

Planetside - FPS where levels dont mean anything except to determine how many peices of machinery you can operate. A lvl1 can beat a lvl 20 easily if the 1 has the drop. Its like a massive tribes game where you cap bases on a non-stop basis.

WW2OL - Same as above, only with a realistic WW2 setting and no levels (but ranks I think). Go to towns, cap them and move on.

Faces of Mankind - This game Im really looking foward to, and am currently in the open beta for. Another FPS that does away with levels but replaces them with ranks inside your current guild/corporation/police agency. You accomplish player-made missions (which you can make if you rank up) on mining worlds while fulfilling your side's mission. Corporations are mainly interested in crafting things, guilds raise hell and the police moderate everything.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 04:48:33 PM »

Probably good ideas Crowley, but FPS games make me violently ill.  It's gotta be a 3rd person game...

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 04:54:32 PM »

looking at your requirements and complaints you are not going to find any MMO currently out that will satisfy you.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »

Unless you want to go with the classic ultima online, there's not much out there that doesn't have the inevitable brick wall.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 05:26:02 PM »

Quote from: "drifter"
looking at your requirements and complaints you are not going to find any MMO currently out that will satisfy you.

Let me try to post a bit more info so you can be perhaps a bit more constructive.  

You're right, I doubt I'll find EVERYTHING I want in one game.

I really like WoW from 1-59, I just hate 60.  I realize that all games of this type hit the brick wall.  My challenge with WoW is that it happened so quickly.  It's not any one factor that's killed WoW - it's the combination of factors - quick leveling combined with endgame zerging combined with no crafting - that leave me bored.  

For example, I understand there's no crafting in CoH.  Ok, I can deal with that.  I don't HAVE to have crafting.  In WoW, the lack of crafting kills the game for me because I get to the endgame so quickly.  So in CoH, does something take the place of crafting?  Does it take a lot longer to level?  How do you get new missions or is it just grinding?  Why do people like CoH when there's no crafting and no PvP?

My guess is that I'll probably go with either CoH or EQ2.  In a lot of ways, I'm pretty content to run the "kill 20 of these mobs" missions for a long, long time.  As long as the lure of new weapons, powers and areas are out there, I'm fairly happy.

With that in mind, can I jump into CoH and feel that I've accomplished a mission in an hour or so?  How about EQ?  Do I really have to group after level 10?  Can I find groups easily?  If you're playing EQ2 or CoH, why do you like it?

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 05:45:53 PM »

It seems like EQ2 wouldn't be a bad one to try.  I've played both and have high level characters in both.  At the moment I've switched back to EQ2 because it seems more challenging to me.  The extra challenge to some extent gets rid of the grinding feeling I felt in WoW in the 40's and 50's. I do like WoW as well, and even switched full-time to WoW for a few months after a month of playing EQ2.  However, now I'm back full-time into EQ2.  My answers are below:

To Jumangi:  No, they don't - not at level 60.  Let's take them one by one.

1. A game that takes longer to level. I don't mind it taking a while. As long as there's not a ton of "grinding" to do it. Mission-based exp is fine.

I've leveled 2 characters to 60 inside of 5 months and averaged about 2.5 hours per day doing it.  It's too easy to level in WoW.  I like the missions and exp.  I don't like how I can level up from level 34 to 35 in under 2.5 hours.  They should probably double the exp necessary per level in the game.

A good choice for slower leveling would be EQ2 if your equipment can handle it.  The environments aren't quite as fantastic as WoW, but the graphics have a more pseudo-realistic quality to them.  

2. A game where there's easy-to-find groups all the time and short (but rewarding) missions.

During the endgame, the instances are horribly long and it takes literally hours to get a group assembled.  Even with guild raids, it takes a long time.  And many of these raids are scheduled to start at 8-9 EST - meaning they're not over until midnight.  I can't stay up that late.  I like grouping - I just hate the waiting for groups at level 60.  And since I've been a part of no less than 4 guilds across my 3 characters, this is the same everywhere no matter which guild you join.

Again I've played EQ2 and one thing I liked about it was that you could find groups a lot faster than in WoW.  I find that in WoW I always had to rely on guildmates to group.  However, EQ2 is becoming more solo friendly over time, so this might change a bit.  Some quests are very long, but most ALL of them can be done in steps, so you can focus on one step at a time.  

3. A player base (as much as possible) that's not comprised of screaming 12 year olds.

WoW has more of their fair share of screaming 12 year olds.  Perhaps a game that's not the "MMORPG flavor of the month" may be in order.

EQ2 has a pretty good player population that seems much more mature than the WoW player base generally.

WoW's crafting system isn't very rewarding.  You're far better off financially gathering raw materials and NOT crafting.  Crafted goods aren't very necessary and don't sell very well.  Crafting in UO was awesome.  Crafting here is a waste of time.  The major issue is that high-level goods don't take even some low-level items.  The crafting system would be MUCH more rewarding if high-level goods actually had a use and took some lower level components to make - like a sword taking iron, mithril AND arcanite.

EQ2's crafting system is still being tinkered with, but it does provide much more of a challenge than the WoW game system.  One thing that I have to add generally about EQ2 is that it seems like there is more room for the game to grow than in WoW.  WoW in some ways was more polished than EQ2 initially, but with that I have more of a what-you-see-is-what-you-get feeling.  Unlike WoW, EQ2 always has updates with additional content.  Not always the best thing, but developers are dedicated at least.

This describes WoW and it is my favorite part of the game.  The ability to log on, grab a solo mission and go hunting is wonderful.  Unfortunately, at level 60, this part of the game completely vanishes.  There are no soloable quests at level 60.  It it took longer to get to 60, that would make up for it.

This is the area EQ2 has made quite a bit of progress in.  Most of the creatures out in Antonica have now been designated as soloable.  Dungeons are typically the one area where most of the creatures are group oriented.  I think this will only improve further over time.

Lastly, I should add that I don't know any MMORPG that will not have some sort of grind quality to it.  And I find that each game does get tiring after a while.  The trick is to enjoy them for a few months or so and see if you form a good group of guildmates.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 06:49:59 PM »

Quite frankly, I'd recommend not wasting your money on another MMORPG.  I know the feeling of getting tired of one game, cancelling, and then immediately feeling like you need something new to fill that void.

For the hell of it, let's go over your want list:

Almost every single MMORPG out there.  Leveling is incredibly fast in WoW.

City of Heroes is probably the best here.  Alternatives include EQ1 (LDoN); EQ2 (questing groups); and Anarchy Online (team missions).

Almost any other MMORPG has a more mature playerbase.  WoW is a Blizzard game, and thus a retard magnet.

Depends on what you mean by rewarding.  EQ2 has an obnoxiously overwrought crafting system, but there are people who like it regardless.  Anarchy Online has pretty robust crafting, but it's not explained in-game at all and has a ludicrously high learning curve.

If you pick the right class, you can solo fairly easily in EQ2 and Anarchy Online.  Soloing in CoH is possible but the odds are very much against you.  Soloing in EQ1 is impossible unless you're a Necromancer or a Quad-Kiting Wizard, and even then you'll *have* to get in a group at some point.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 05:10:40 AM »

Soloing in CoH is VERY much possible.  I made it all the way to 26 as a Force Field Defender (who's specs were very much slanted towards the defensive powers) pretty much 80% solo.  The few times I seriously teamed up I could transform my team into a legion of undamagable hamster balls.

From what I understand, there's been a LOT of changes since I stopped (in Sept).  Soloing is more possible then ever, but even though... CoH is a game meant to be played in a group.  It's decent solo, but the game just comes alive with any sort of regular group.

If you do try CoH... I strongly recommend you hook up with the Wanderers on Virtue.

Just Hiro will do.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 05:43:05 AM »

If you are getting burned out, then another MMOG probably isnt the answer.

I try to balance my gaming between multi-player and single player games.  For about the last year or so, I always had one multiplayer FPS, one MMOG, and generally one RPG going.  

That way, I fit my gaming to my mood- if I dont feel like being social, I play the RPG.  If I feel like giving the brain a rest and exist as a being of pure twitch reflex pwnage, I go for the MP FPS.  Then if I feel like doing something 'meaningful' (whatever that is), I play the MMOG.

I was actually throwing the balance off a bit, because I would go solo with my noob Paladin on WoW.  But for when I really truly feel like not being social (which is important for me, running a guild is harder than I thought, and dealing with lots of people drains me), its best to hit the RPG.

At the moment Im playing WoW, KotOR2, and I just reinstalled ET and have been playing a bit of ETF.  I think Im going to stick with ET tho, the ETF isnt as fun, to me, as either TFC or ET; it seems to be missing something.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 08:39:23 AM »

I get a big laugh at the people who say WoW has a less mature crowd. Give me a break people. Every single friggin online game(RTS, MMO, FPS) has more than its share of pricks.

You go online you are going to have to deal with those types every now and then. Just a fact of the online world. Not a fun one buts its the truth.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 10:08:34 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

I try to balance my gaming between multi-player and single player games.  For about the last year or so, I always had one multiplayer FPS, one MMOG, and generally one RPG going.  

That way, I fit my gaming to my mood- if I dont feel like being social, I play the RPG.  If I feel like giving the brain a rest and exist as a being of pure twitch reflex pwnage, I go for the MP FPS.  Then if I feel like doing something 'meaningful' (whatever that is), I play the MMOG.

I was actually throwing the balance off a bit, because I would go solo with my noob Paladin on WoW.  But for when I really truly feel like not being social (which is important for me, running a guild is harder than I thought, and dealing with lots of people drains me), its best to hit the RPG.

At the moment Im playing WoW, KotOR2, and I just reinstalled ET and have been playing a bit of ETF.  I think Im going to stick with ET tho, the ETF isnt as fun, to me, as either TFC or ET; it seems to be missing something.

It's not so much burnout as it is the gameplay at level 60.  In many ways, I don't mind grinding mobs as long as there's a quest involved.  I do hate the 3 or 4 hour time committment that level 60 runs take.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 02:27:35 PM »

I'll throw City of Heroes out there as well.  It fits pretty much everything in your list except for the crafting component, although when I left they were supposedly instituting a system that was supposed to be similar in nature to crafting.

It has a much higher leveling curve than WoW.  It can get grindy in spots, but if you group occasionally it'll go a lot better.  Finding groups in CoH is really easy since they have mechanisms to allow higher-levels to group with lower-levels and vice-versa.  The player base is suprisingly mature, or at least it was when I left.  You still have some d00dz, but they're fairly easy to ignore.  In all my time in CoH, I never interacted with anyone that says "u" instead of "you".  It is also fairly easy to solo in, although there's definitely some content intended for groups.  You'll also find it a lot easier to solo with certain classes than others, so if that's the way you want to play, be sure to do your research.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 03:04:50 PM »

Everquest 2.  I played it to level 25 then switched to WoW but i may go back to EQ2 in the future.  It's like a mature WoW without the PvP.  Allows soloing to max level and has and is creating content for soloing.  But, leveling is faster in groups and real endgame is group based but content as we've seen with EQ1 will make it so you never "beat the game".  And at least during the time i was playing, I NEVER had any trouble getting a group, it's the only game i've never had trouble grouping in too.  The other thing is, it has what i thought was the best mature to kiddy ratio of all MMOs because of its simultanious launch with WoW, lack of pvp, and more mature themes/design look.  You also get a private apartment you can decorate with player crafted furniture and trophies from your adventures etc.  

Frankly in my epxerience, the reasons to play wow are easy soloing to 60 and pvp.  The reasons to play EQ2 are everything else.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »

Sometimes, for me, switching between two MMOs all the time is just the perfect thing to prevent burnout.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 05:01:38 PM »

Quote from: "Blackadar"

1.  A game that takes longer to level.  I don't mind it taking a while.  As long as there's not a ton of "grinding" to do it.  Mission-based exp is fine.
2.  A game where there's easy-to-find groups all the time and short (but rewarding) missions.
3.  A player base (as much as possible) that's not comprised of screaming 12 year olds.

Hmm lets consider Guild Wars (coming out this wednesday) using this criteria.
1. FAIL - However it might be fun to level up multiple character to 20.
2. PASS - Hands down the easiest MMOG to get a group quickly (auto matchup for pickup groupage)
3. FAIL - But I contend that this is true for every MMOG.  I expect the b.net crowd to have a strong showing here just like in WoW.  Stick with a mature guild like most of us do.  
4. ? - Not a deep crafting system but might be rewarding.
5. PASS - Very easily soloable.

Hmm, 2/5 or 3/5.  Might want to consider PvP since this game has a great PvP system without the ganking or griefing.  It's also different than other MMRPGs (it's not really massively multiplayer) so it might be a nice change of pace.  

I really enjoyed the beta but will have more impressions once I play the full version.  I've played all the major MMRPGs.  My last was WoW and I will be migrating over to GW for now.  It seems more suited given my current schedule not allowing too much time for games;  we shall see if it holds up.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 06:54:56 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"

Sometimes, for me, switching between two MMOs all the time is just the perfect thing to prevent burnout.

I do this too.

Unbreakable, we seem to do the same exact thing with our games smile.
Currentlly playing :  Call of Duty expansion(online and off),  Freedom Force 1, and EQ2.  Only thing you forgot was your short (play)time diversion game, mine currentlly is Pirates!.  So do you switch out one game at a time or switch all 3(4) at once?  I tried switching all 4 at once(last christmas) but it was too much too handle as I could never decide which one to start, so I switch at max 2 outta my rotation.  I have noticed that this tactic helps me actually finesh games and keeps me from buying every new shiney title that comes along.

morlac00 on PSN
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 12:58:28 AM »

Quote from: "Blackadar"

Here's what I'd like:

1. CoH except for the grind.  
2. Probably CoH with sidekicking and reverse sidekicking.
3. Not WoW which is most guilty of this.  SWG
4  EQ2 or SWG.  Actually I think WoW did this best.  Not CoH
5.  Cough.  WoW.  CoH to a lesser extent.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 02:07:17 AM »

Don't even make a glancing pass at FFXI (right LE?   :wink: )  I enjoyed my time with it, but there are some very not-so-well-done things with it.  And the things you've mentioned, that you want in an MMORPG, except for a grind, FFXI doesn't have.

That being said, I just don't even see an MMO game that would suit your fancy, given the things that you would like.  Don't know what to say, but perhaps try out those free month offers from MMORPGs that you might like.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 02:39:30 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Don't even make a glancing pass at FFXI (right LE?   :wink: )  I enjoyed my time with it, but there are some very not-so-well-done things with it.  And the things you've mentioned, that you want in an MMORPG, except for a grind, FFXI doesn't have.

That being said, I just don't even see an MMO game that would suit your fancy, given the things that you would like.  Don't know what to say, but perhaps try out those free month offers from MMORPGs that you might like.
Oh man, FFXI.  Talk about the most wasted potential possibly ever.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 02:55:14 AM »

Found a deal I couldn't pass up.

CoH for $19 and a free copy of Lineage 2...

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 03:35:18 AM »

Cool.  Lineage 2 sucks the big one but it's OK if you play on a free, player-run (cough, illegal, cough) server.

CoH is probably the best match for what you wanted, outside of WoW.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 03:56:47 AM »

Holy crap Fez!  By using alternating blue and white text your whole post looks 3D to me.  Trippy! :o

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 05:01:04 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
Holy crap Fez!  By using alternating blue and white text your whole post looks 3D to me.  Trippy! :o

Cool It was my plan to mesmerize the lot of you.  Anyway, I think CoH was a ton of fun the first month or two and then it became incredible repetitive at higher levels (and not particularly deep).  I think that it is well worth the purchase for the month or two of fun you'll get out of it.  Absolutely no crafting system however.  It's basically a superhero combat simulator.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 02:36:44 PM »

I'll post this again on a different thread, but...

Believe it or not, I've gone back to WoW.  Since I sold my account (something I do NOT regret), I'm starting over.  And my hiatus from WoW and my experience with CoH were just the trick.  I've also devoted myself to RPing more and leveling less.  We will see if that holds.

What I liked most about WoW - and missed in CoH - was the story and feeling of "culture".  For example, I started off with a troll priest.  Within my first few levels, I know that my tribe was overrun by murlocs and there are few survivors.  That we are indebted to the orcs for taking us in.  That we're an aggressive but honorable race but that we've been exiled and hated by other trolls because we struck an alliance with the orcs.  As a priest, I don't quite fit in with my other trolls, so I'm a bit unusual.  This character is on a medium-pop server.

So I started another character - a tauren druid.  The backstory is even better.  That we're a peaceful and proud race, a plains people who are mystic by nature and love the land.  That we're not much different from the Night Elves, but not as haughty.  That the orcs helped us to drive off the centaurs and that's why we're allied with them.  And as a druid, I'm very much in character with my noble race.  This character is on a low-pop RP server.

Both starting areas are visually very striking.  I really love the Tauren plains.  Since I got my new monitor, the colors of the game stand out even more.  It's quite beautiful.

I'm sure I'll run into some of the same problems that I encountered before towards the endgame.  Hopefully, many of them will be resolved before I get to level 60.  The Battlegrounds seem very interesting - PvP with a purpose, many of the 12 year olds have moved off to Guild Wars and I've selected character types (priest, druid) that are always in demand in groups.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2005, 08:23:16 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Almost any other MMORPG has a more mature playerbase.  WoW is a Blizzard game, and thus a retard magnet.

That's funny as hell, and oh so very true.

glyc

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2005, 11:21:54 AM »

Quote from: "Glycerine"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

That's funny as hell, and oh so very true.

glyc

It's still true, but less so now than it was two months ago.  Many of the retards have moved on to Guild Wars.

unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2005, 07:15:41 PM »

I still love that game just for Super Jump and climbing things.  Figuring out how to get on top of some of the statues was fun as hell; I heard there are rewards for doing so now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: