http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 12:53:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing a Priest (WoW)  (Read 14279 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2004, 08:07:35 PM »

I'm on C. Circle as well, as Ehlonnas, a 12th level human priestess.  I've been nearly always solo, mainly because of my playing hours (early mornings).
unbreakable
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2004, 03:18:29 AM »

Does anyone have (and use) Holy Fire?  I was thinking of respec'ing into Shadow, but also putting points into Holy just to get that, which would then give me 3 dot spells (and PW:Pain can be boosted from Shadow as well).

From what Ive been reading, however, it may not really be worth throwing 11 points into Holy just to get a dot.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2004, 12:04:12 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Does anyone have (and use) Holy Fire?  I was thinking of respec'ing into Shadow, but also putting points into Holy just to get that, which would then give me 3 dot spells (and PW:Pain can be boosted from Shadow as well).

From what Ive been reading, however, it may not really be worth throwing 11 points into Holy just to get a dot.

Based on all the feedback I have read, no, it is not worth the points.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2004, 04:33:15 PM »

And that's the problem with much of the higher tier Holy powers.  Supposedly they're not all that great.  

Now, since I'm about to hit 35 and have split my talents between shadow and holy, I'm nowhere near seeing these top talents, but the overall consensus from those who have say they're very underwhelming.
unbreakable
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2004, 10:13:31 AM »

Well, I did a respec into Shadow, and Im pretty happy with it.  Since Mind Flay only lasts three seconds, there really wouldnt be time to cast a third dot anyway, nor would it prob be worth the trouble.

If anybody was wondering- Vampiric Embrace seems pretty cool thus far.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2005, 01:04:23 PM »

Just wanted to do a little update on my priest's advancement.

Currently 43rd level. Did not do a lot of exping last week, instead helped out guildmates, did some alchemy, helped a friend that is new to MMOL genre and just started out.

I did make a few runs in Uldaman, a high level instance in the Badlands. I grouped with 4 others that were in a guild together.

My spec is still holy/shadow split. I have 18 in shadow, just enough for Mindflay and Improved Fade. I have 16 points in Holy, which maxxes Subtlety. This gives me all the best agro reducing talents available except for Holy Nova which is at the top of the Holy tree. Buts its functionality is debatable.

I was planning on dumping my next 8 points into the Discipline line to get Improved Power Word shield, but decided against it for now and instead will pump some into Improved Healing . Because really, if shield reuse time is a factor in saving people, chances are things are going too bad to recover from anyways. PvP is where I really see this ability to be the most handy since 1) people will always attack priest first and 2) shield is all we have to allow us to get off non-instant attacks when we are getting hit by speedy PvP rogues, dual wielders, and/or multiple people.

So I might respec to this later on, time will tell.

My group in Uldman was a 45th rogue, 45th warrior, 42 paladin, 47th mage and me 42-43rd priest. We made two runs the first night, died once to an ill-advised pull of the concentrated group of dwarves that have those high level casters (shadoweavers maybe?) and died the second time at the last room prior to the boss for various reasons (i had unusually high latency that evening).

I was very proud of the job i did healing. I carried us through quite a few battles that we barely managed to survive. I love it when my group says "Wow, i can't believe we survived that battle.". Speaking of my group, they really were not that good. The warrior had damage envy and duel weilded the whole time and the mage constantly over-nuked. I really look forward to being in a "primo" group (i.e. like a protection-specced, shield-using warrior and mages that do not draw agro EVERY SINGLE PULL).

The 2nd run we did Sunday went really smooth. We made it to the final encounter and did reasonable well all things considered. That encounter is motherf******* hard (for our levels anyways). If I had a balanced group that knew what they were doing we might have made it but even then I am not sure. The tanks had a lot of problems holding agro on the boss even though I was not really spam healing. They just were not doing enough damage to the boss mob it appeared.

Made out like a bandit with loot. Got a 2 14 slot bags, gloves, wand, ring, dagger and a ton of sellable stuff.

All in all, I can definately say that this is "where its at" for my playstyle. I love being a kick-ass priest that gets it done when the shit hits the fan. Yeah, while not-so-good groups like the one I was in this weekend make my job a hell of a lot harder, it also makes me a better priest in the long run i feel.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »

I started playing a priest because I enjoy character classes that allow me to help out other people, and also because everyone said that priests were really rare compared to most other classes.  Unfortunately, it seems like priests are becomming more and more common on my server, but I'm still having a great time with the class.

I'm just a casual player so my character is only up to level 18, but so far I've devoted all of my talent points into the Shadow Tree to make it harder for the enemy to resist my attacks and to increase the likelihood that they'll get stunned by my spells.  Things are going okay so far, but I've been paying careful attention to the advice in this thread about reassigning my talent points to be a dedicated healer in the future.  To the tune of one gold piece, I figure I'll stay on this track for the moment, and then unlearn my talents once I reach a level where all my time will be spent with groups hunting high-level monsters.

-Autistic Angel
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2005, 08:48:54 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
I started playing a priest because I enjoy character classes that allow me to help out other people, and also because everyone said that priests were really rare compared to most other classes.  Unfortunately, it seems like priests are becomming more and more common on my server, but I'm still having a great time with the class.

I'm just a casual player so my character is only up to level 18, but so far I've devoted all of my talent points into the Shadow Tree to make it harder for the enemy to resist my attacks and to increase the likelihood that they'll get stunned by my spells.  Things are going okay so far, but I've been paying careful attention to the advice in this thread about reassigning my talent points to be a dedicated healer in the future.  To the tune of one gold piece, I figure I'll stay on this track for the moment, and then unlearn my talents once I reach a level where all my time will be spent with groups hunting high-level monsters.

Definately max out Spirit Tap (in the Shadow line) asap! Seriously, this is a must have, especially at early levels. It makes huge difference in soloing.
unbreakable
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2005, 10:47:44 PM »

Damn it, after further research into forums and playing, Im looking at another respec.  My aim was to have a well-rounded, powerful build.  I guess if you full-spec Shadow, it is probably better for solo-PvE, but as for a group PvE/P situation, losing the entire Healing line is too much of a trade-off just to be able to do 15% more damage.  

Also, Im not seeing this supposed 20% heal from Vampiric Embrace happening; is it bugged, or am I just missing it?

One of my main beefs was losing the Power Word: Shield improvement.  SO many times I need to recast, and I see there is 10-15 seconds to wait on it.  By that time Ill be eating dirt.  I can take it later, but it wont be for another 10 levels or so.  

Crap, I wish respec wasnt so damn expensive.  It would probably encourage people to try out more things, rather than going with cookie-cutter builds like in Diablo2.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2005, 04:20:39 PM »

Made it to 28th level yesterday, and also thought I'd add some thoughts on how my own priest build is going.

I've specced all Discipline (a troll priest specced Discipline has got to be the least played build of all).  Last night, after fighting satyyrs in Ashenvale, I decided that a respec from the mistake I made earlier would be prudent (I had 5 points in Silent Resolve, which reduces threat by damage spells, and I changed those 5 points over to Unbreakable Will, which reduces my chance to be stunned, feared, or silenced by 15%).  It was a minor respec.  I decided against switching gears to Holy or Shadow, as I have become comfortable with the spells I have and they fit like an old shoe.  Personally, I can't imagine not being able to cast Shield every 15 seconds -- against a lower level opponent I don't even take damage.  In fact, I have to let myself get hit every so often, just so that my defense skill will raise.  Functionally, the Shield spell and the Renew spell have practically the same effect with my current spec, since the Shield spell absorbs the damage up front, and the Renew spell heales an equivalent amount of damage, for almost the same price in mana.  Both have their advantages, and of course the big advantage is when they are combined.

One of the skills I think I am enjoying the most is Mental Agility, the one that reduces the mana cost for instant-cast spells.  My instant cast spells are reduced 10%, so the instant-cast spells (of which a priest has several) get used every battle.  Plus, this skill will continue to become more useful, as the spells become more expensive in terms of mana.

Currently I am on the skill that raises mana 3% at a time, up to 15% (Meditation).  When that is finished, I will take Inner Focus, the skill that lets you cast your next spell for 0 mana and increases the chance of that spell doing a critical by 25%.  Cast that sucker before you do your strongest heal, and you will be a happy priest, I'm sure.  I'm not as sure about what you would use it on while soloing, but I'm sure that I can find a use for it.

Here's a hint for the 3 people who bothered to read this far into the thread -- keep it to yourself, or it will lose it's effectiveness!  One way I've been making tons of money is by buying a recipe, pattern, etc. from a vendor, often for a few silver, and then selling it at the auction house.  For 5 minutes worth of effort, you can make a gold and a half!  Definitely a worthwhile turnaround.  Just check the auction house first, see what there is, and then stop by your favorite recipe vendor to see if it has respawned.  Also, I'm currently making decent money off of greater healing potions, and to a lesser extent free action potions.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2005, 06:45:26 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
 Functionally, the Shield spell and the Renew spell have practically the same effect with my current spec, since the Shield spell absorbs the damage up front, and the Renew spell heales an equivalent amount of damage, for almost the same price in mana.  Both have their advantages, and of course the big advantage is when they are combined.

For your level:

For 140 mana you heal 245 damage done with Renew.
For 175 mana you absorb 234 damage with Shield.

Your talents in Discipline do take 10% off the mana cost, but that applies to both of them since they are both instant casts.

Renew cost 25% less mana and healing 5% more.

So, its not "almost the same price in mana". There is significant difference.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2005, 06:53:22 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

For your level:

Your talents in Discipline do take 10% off the mana cost, but that applies to both of them since they are both instant casts.

If you don't ever cast PW:S, and only renew, I suppose you could add in the monetary cost of repairing the durability of your items.  

When soloing, I tend to like keeping my mana no more than 50% used, unless I'm really pressed in battle of course.  If that means I can use PW:S and not take a beating over a 2 hour session, you can save yourself a bit of cash not having to repair.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2005, 07:05:08 PM »

For me, the big advantage of PW:S is that it stops attacks from interrupting spell casting.  That's almost more important than the extra hit points.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2005, 07:24:33 PM »

Yep, when in a group, and you're unable to prevent a mob from beating on you, and your tank's health is dropping fast, a PW:S coupled with heal on the tank can get you out of a jam.   It's not very mana efficient that way, but when pressed, you have to do something.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2005, 08:10:10 PM »

Quote from: "Ibby"
Quote from: "Toe"

For your level:

If you don't ever cast PW:S, and only renew, I suppose you could add in the monetary cost of repairing the durability of your items.  

When soloing, I tend to like keeping my mana no more than 50% used, unless I'm really pressed in battle of course.  If that means I can use PW:S and not take a beating over a 2 hour session, you can save yourself a bit of cash not having to repair.

The cost in not really a factor, even at my current level (44th) with quite a few blue items. I will take mana efficency any day of the week over a few measely silvers. Plus, you make that back by having improved efficency. The more mana you have at the end of a fight, the sooner you can start your next fight, and the more money you will make in the end.

I do use shield sometimes when soloing, but it depends on several factors like quickness of their attacks, "class" of mob, level difference, etc.

For anything lower than me, usually I do not use a shield. Renew usually keeps up with the damage sufficently.
If its a caster or "thrower", I do not bother with a shield. They usually can only get one interrupting shot between my cast. Depending on what they cast you can even get a complete Mind Flay in sometimes.
If its a fast attacker (like a dual-weilding rogue NPC) that is equal or higher than me, I will use a shield.
If its 2-4 levels higher, I will always shield unless its a caster.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2005, 09:25:36 PM »

Certainly Renew is more "efficient" in terms of mana, but looking at the whole picture, I feel that I have to defend my beloved Shield spell.  Keep in mind that Renew is my second most beloved spell, and third place would be Pain.

Why is Shield great?  Well, I'm effectively not taking damage against lower-level mobs.  Renew is great, until you start getting attacked by multiple mobs at the same time -- then Shield is far more effective, as it allows you to get off some direct damage spells (all of which have cast time) and in this situation Renew shows that it is less effective.

The overall cost difference is definitely a factor, but I'd agree that it's a minor one.  The major difference is being able to cast uninterrupted attack spells, which if I recall correctly can still be done with particular points in Shadow talents, but of course as a straight Discipline priest (for now) I don't have that.

One other thing to note, since I went Discipline, is that the spells cost 157 and 126 mana, so the difference is even smaller (the non-Discipline spec difference between the spells is 35 Mana, 31 when specced Discipline).  This is also minor, of course, I just thought it worthy of note.

Renew is my favorite healing spell, because it is so mana efficient.  You can cast it again and again indefinitely.  People rarely lose all their hitpoints in a few hits, so you can throw it on someone when they start losing their hitpoints and then concentrate on other things.  The other big plus is, of course, that it isn't likely to draw the monster's attention, unlike a big heal.

Pain is great because it's long lasting, continues to hit once you actually get it on the creature you're fighting, and has very low chance of getting a monster's attention when grouped (although I still use it only rarely when grouped).  Not to mention being an efficient use of mana, assuming you can afford for the fight to go on for a while.

Since I'm on a roll, I'll mention my 3 least favorite priest spells, in order from not as irritating to truly worthless:

3) Psychic Scream  This crowd-control spell seems to backfire as often as not, since after the fear wears off the enemies will sometimes come back with friends.  What seconds ago was an almost-manageable situation can become quickly an impossible one.  As such, I pretty much just use it when I'm trying to run away.

2) Mind Vision  A novelty spell obviously.  I've tried to find an efficient use for it, scouting out new lands and such, but in practice it is pretty useless.  And, the "fun" of it wears off pretty fast.  I had a devil of a time trying to figure out how to stop this one while it was going, waiting for the timer to end on it's own.  It turns out that re-casting the spell will stop the effect, just in case you didn't know.

1) Shackle Undead  As a troll priest I have literally never used this spell.  Never.  Not once.  In fact, I may have to track down some undead bad guys just so I can see what the spell effect looks like.  Nah, too much work. slywink
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2005, 10:06:21 PM »

I love renew, and liberally sprinkle it on my group if we're handling things easily.  Being able to drop it on our tank right before he engages a mob mitigates a surprisingly large amount of damage (with 5pts into Improved Renew).

I've been given a new found respect for the Prayer of Healing (group heal) spell after seeing what a Holy/Disc priest could do in a group within the Scarlet Monastary instance.   The higher level priest would handle the group healing, which hit at 600+ health for everyone.  It made my duties as the lower level Priest easier since I could concentrate my heals on the tanks/mages.
Trey
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2005, 11:44:32 AM »

I had a level 60 priest in closed beta, and I have a level 60 priest in retail now. The shield vs. renew debate is pretty well outline above, but I will add that shielding is the only way to cast any more than one mind flay in a given fight. For me, mind flay is the 2nd most efficient offensive spell I have, with a better than 2:1 damage/mana ratio (SW:P is tops). So I cast a slightly less efficient protection spell in order to cast my most efficient offensive spell about 4 times.

Regarding the poster above who cast renew on the tank before a pull: this is a bad idea. When you're facing a multi-mob pull your tank is going to pull/charge it, and as soon as your renew ticks, every mob that wasn't the pull/charge target will now have you at the top of their hate list because you healed their target, who they only have proximity hate on. It's less mana efficient, but I always shield pre-pull. I have high enough spirit that I regen the mana cost well before I have to cast a heal anyway. If you're facing a nasty pull you can shield the tank and an offtank pre pull, and then drink some conjured water as they run into battle and be at full mana ready to heal in seconds.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2005, 12:03:11 PM »

The overall cost difference is definitely a factor, but I'd agree that it's a minor one.

If you think useing 25% less mana for 5% more health mitigation is minor, then I guess we look at things from a different perspective.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2005, 04:57:11 PM »

Doesn't putting a shield on a tank lessen the amount of rage he builds up?  Or does the rage one receives from being hit make up only a small amount of what generates in a battle?  

I've always assumed the tank wants the rage first, THEN would want the shield help lessen the damage.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2005, 06:22:03 PM »

Quote from: "Ibby"
Doesn't putting a shield on a tank lessen the amount of rage he builds up?  Or does the rage one receives from being hit make up only a small amount of what generates in a battle?  

I've always assumed the tank wants the rage first, THEN would want the shield help lessen the damage.

You are correct in that the amount of rage generated for being hit is relatively small. Dealing damage is the primary method rage is built up.

But shielding a warrior during a fight will generate agro for the priest and it is enough agro that a priest should be concerned about it. Since we have no true numbers, we do not know how much agro Shielding someone produces. Based on my experience I would say its somewhere between a Heal and Flash Heal. So its not something I toss around unless needed after the fight starts. I want any agro i generate during a fight to give me the best bang for it's buck.

Shielding prior to a pull will not generate any agro to you after the battle starts. I mostly use it to widen the gap between when the fight starts and when I must throw my first big heal.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »

I noticed something interesting last night, thought I would mention it as well.  I had supposed that you need to be unshielded to raise your Defense skill, as I assumed that you needed to be hit in order to raise the skill.

Last night, while I had the shield up, I gained a point of Defense.  From this I would assume that you do gain experience in your Defense skill while you are being attacked, regardless of whether or not the blows are actually landing on you, or are being absorbed by the shield.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2005, 11:44:25 PM »

Random Priest question - how well can they solo? While I have a perfect solo character already (level 41 Hunter), I wanted to try a caster class. I didn't want the Warlock (as I already had a pet class), and the Mage, well, needs help. So I figured I'd try the Priest. Any suggestions?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2005, 12:44:52 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Random Priest question - how well can they solo? While I have a perfect solo character already (level 41 Hunter), I wanted to try a caster class. I didn't want the Warlock (as I already had a pet class), and the Mage, well, needs help. So I figured I'd try the Priest. Any suggestions?

I second this question.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »

Quote from: "scubabbl"

I second this question.
The Priest solos fairly well--just remember to pack lots of water and spec 100% Shadow.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2005, 03:53:02 AM »

I disagree with the 100% shadow, but you will definitely want to get Mind Flay asap- it's way too good not to have.

After that, I actually prefer Enhancement.  I was full Enhance, which actually solo'd very well, since I could cast Power Word: Shield every 15 seconds (rather than every 30).  I respec'd to full shadow, and I find many of the Enhancement things would increase my survivablility way more.  I actually die in many places where having the faster PW:S would have saved my ass, as well.

I want to see how Shadowform works since I already wasted the 1gp on the respec, but to be quite honest I think you give up way too much for it.  In PvP you *really* want to rely on your insta-casts, so my 'final' build will be some Shadow, some Enhance, and *maybe* a little Holy, if only to make my Renew more powerful.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2005, 04:31:51 AM »

Oh, by all means get some Discipline talents to support your Shadow build.  Improved PW:Shield is a must-have, and is only a second-tier ability.

That being said, I'd still rush Shadow to Mind Flay ASAP before putting any points into Discipline.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2005, 12:32:52 PM »

Priest are good soloers and have tools that allow them to complete quests (which, as you know, gives you lots of exps) where others might have trouble.

With Spirit Tap (where any priest should invest his first 5 talent points), you can solo creatures 1 or 2 levels below you (which, numerically, give you the best exp/hour if you are into the the exp grinding thing) with very little down time.

If you have a higher level that can furnish money for drinks for your new priest, all the better.

Mind Flay does give have a great damage/mana ratio, but it is a channeled spell, so you can really only use it once (during the initial pull) in most cases. Of course you can shield yourself and use it some more, but after you factor in the mana cost of the shield, the efficency of the Mind Flay is decreased dramatically and more on par with your other nukes. It really rocks when you pair with another person (that can hold agro) and can mind flay away unshielded.

It does take a little time for the priest to become a good soloer due to needing those talents and just the general progression of their spells. So it might be a little rough starting out, but at 25th you should have all your base shadow talents down (5/5 Spirit Tap, 3/5 Blackout, 2/2 SW:P, Mind Flay, Improve Mind Blast 5/5).
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2005, 04:04:22 PM »

One thing to keep in mind about a priest when soloing -- fights last longer than they do for other classes.

It often feels like you are trying to outlast your opponent, rather than nuke them to death as quickly as possible.  Of course, you can play the priest that way -- but don't expect it to work as well.  Pain, Mind Blast, Smite, Smite, Mind Blast will work, but you'll be completely out of mana in no time, with a big wait in front of you.  Not to mention if you are unlucky enough to draw an add at that point. slywink

So if you do play a priest, don't expect the bad guys to go down very fast -- they won't.  I've seen pretty much every other character take down bad guys faster than I do.  In fact, often while battling people will run over and "help" me because I've been fighting a bad guy for a while and they think I must be losing because it isn't dead yet, while in reality nothing could be further from the truth.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2005, 04:18:24 PM »

I know people tend to be unimpressed by wands, but if you can get your low level priest a wand, it can make a huge difference in speeding up fights.  I have the world's dumbest fire wand, but it made levels 7-9 go by even faster than normal.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2005, 04:58:31 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
I know people tend to be unimpressed by wands, but if you can get your low level priest a wand, it can make a huge difference in speeding up fights.  I have the world's dumbest fire wand, but it made levels 7-9 go by even faster than normal.

A decent, fast-firing wand, and a fast dagger work great together if you keep both of those skills up. What happens is that a lot of the time you get dagger hits in between wand recycles, even if you are "spamming" your wand shoot key so that it fires as soon as it recycles. Definately the best "mana-free" DPS that I have found. The only problems are  1) the short supply of good, fast daggers. I haven't found a decent one in the past 10 levels. Forget about the auction house because if its decent, rogues will spend TONS of gold on it and its really not worth it to me since its a secondary means of damage. And 2) your wand skill must be kept high at all times. If its not very close to your level, you are going to miss (get resisted) a lot. And as most of you know, those last 5 points of any skill are very hard to come by.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2005, 05:05:51 PM »

My priest was unimpressive the first 13 levels or so.  Getting the PBAOE fear spell(Pyschic Scream) made things a little nicer and safer soloing.  

Nuke to pull, Dot, wand or Mind Flay(depending on mob distance), hit the mob once with your weapon when it reaches melee range, and then PS followed by Mind Flay is a good soloing technique.  

PS along with PWS are too good spells to help you when things go wrong.

I am full shadow so far at 23 and plan on speccing full shadow until I can get Silence and Vampric Embrace(21 Talent Points).  After the I may invest 8 points into discipline to get the improved PWS.

Any comments or specific experience from those in the know about  Silence and Vampric Embrace?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2005, 05:13:47 PM »

My new priest is just that..new...but in beta what I did was nuke, dot, dd, shield myself then fish with spells..easy..hardly ever even got hit. I love that shield. If I got in trouble id just shield and run out of aggro and try again.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2005, 06:37:11 PM »

So, digging over on the talents, I came up with the following:

Shadow Mastery
Spirit Tap   Rank 5
Blackout   Rank 5
Improved Shadow Word: Pain   Rank 2
Shadow Focus   Rank 5
Improved Psychic Scream   Rank 2
Improved Mind Blast   Rank 5
Mind Flay   Rank 1
Shadow Reach   Rank 3
Silence   Rank 1
Shadow Weaving   Rank 5
Vampiric Embrace   Rank 1
Darkness   Rank 5
Shadowform   Rank 1
Shadow Total:   41

Discipline Mastery
Unbreakable Will   Rank 5
Improved Power Word: Shield   Rank 3
Improved Power Word: Fortitiude   Rank 2
Discipline Total:   10

I was thinking of going (to borrow another post) 5/5 Spirit Tap, 3/5 Blackout, 2/2 Improved Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay, Improve Mind Blast 5/5. Then I'd hit my Discipline Mastery subsets (get all of them), then head back and finish off Shadow Mastery.

Thoughts? Keep in mind that this healer would be mostly solo (as I just want to try out a caster class), and decently equipped (found a blue wand for level 15 that was a steal via my Hunter).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2005, 07:07:17 PM »

I was thinking of going (to borrow another post) 5/5 Spirit Tap, 3/5 Blackout, 2/2 Improved Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay, Improve Mind Blast 5/5. Then I'd hit my Discipline Mastery subsets (get all of them), then head back and finish off Shadow Mastery.

I would go with 8 in Discipline for Improved PW:S, then wait until you are doing with Shadow before using those last two points for Improved Fort.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2005, 03:46:07 PM »

I just started a priest as well.  I'm only level 9 so far, but I am having a good time.  Where can I train wand?  Right now I am only using a 1h mace, and definitely want another weapon.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2005, 03:53:50 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
I just started a priest as well.  I'm only level 9 so far, but I am having a good time.  Where can I train wand?  Right now I am only using a 1h mace, and definitely want another weapon.

You don't need to train wand, you already have the wand "skill" in your abilities.  You should just be able to buy a wand to use it.  Remember a couple of things when you do:

1) You have to click on the wand skill to actually use the wand, after you have the wand equipped in your ranged slot

2) Your wand skill starts out at zero, so you have to use the wand several times (and have it be resisted) before it starts to become effective.

If you are looking for another new weapon, I would highly recommend training staves.  For the horde, this can be done at the weapon master in Thunder Bluff.  Staves seem to be much more effective than maces.

(edit -- I am pretty sure you need to be level 10 before you can learn any new weapon skills, so keep that in mind)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »

You don't need to train wand, you already have the wand "skill" in your abilities.  You should just be able to buy a wand to use it.  Remember a couple of things when you do:

1) You have to click on the wand skill to actually use the wand, after you have the wand equipped in your ranged slot

2) Your wand skill starts out at zero, so you have to use the wand several times (and have it be resisted) before it starts to become effective.

If you are looking for another new weapon, I would highly recommend training staves.  For the horde, this can be done at the weapon master in Thunder Bluff.  Staves seem to be much more effective than maces.

(edit -- I am pretty sure you need to be level 10 before you can learn any new weapon skills, so keep that in mind)

Awesome.  Thanks for the info.  I was leaning toward staves anyway, so I will for sure now.  The trainer is in Stormwind for Alliance, so i will stop by there this evening.  I haven't seen any wands at the AH, but maybe I am not looking at the right place.  

For priests, I need to look for things with bonuses in Spirit and intellect, right?  What else?

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2005, 04:06:51 PM »

Awesome.  Thanks for the info.  I was leaning toward staves anyway, so I will for sure now.  The trainer is in Stormwind for Alliance, so i will stop by there this evening.  I haven't seen any wands at the AH, but maybe I am not looking at the right place.  

For priests, I need to look for things with bonuses in Spirit and intellect, right?  What else?

I think its always best to keep all 3 of your skills up (staves, 1-handed maces, and daggers) along with your wand skill.

There will be times when a mace/dagger + an off-hand item will give you more bonuses over your staff. (but at end-game, staff i believe has the best stats compared to weapon+off-hand).

Dagger + wand is the best "mana-free" DPS I have found when its a fast dagger and fast wand (wands have speeds to) because most of the time you can get a dagger hit in between wand recycles.

Starting out Spirit and Intellect are the way to go, but stamina is good as well (boost you hitpoints). Intellect increases your mana pool, which is always a good thing. Spirit increases your mana regen rate. Spirit, however,gives back diminishing returns as you get more and more. Nothing to worry about at lower levels, but by the time you get in your upper 40s, you need to shoot mainly for +intellect gear since you will reach the soft cap of 300 spirit (with spirit buffs that others will provide you).
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2005, 06:13:02 PM »

This got me laughing pretty hard:

Guide to Grouping with a Priest
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: