http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:13:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planetside Next (Planetside 2)  (Read 6800 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »

Never mind, I figured out what the issue was. Your comments should be working now

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »

Doh too slow...I would like an invite if anyone gets an extra key.

Really looking forward to this one smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 11:25:49 PM »

beta details in the latest producer letter.

External Beta will include primary rounds of entry for existing PlanetSide 1 players and additional External Beta registrants, including those who obtained Beta codes from the PC Gamer magazine cover feature. Playtests will be scheduled during this time to ensure the maximum testing of specific aspects of the game with ever increasing numbers of players. Your participation is extremely valuable to us and we’ll be balancing and revising base layouts based on your feedback. Again, we will be inviting as many of our existing PlanetSide 1 players as we can into the early phases of Beta determined by a number of different factors, including machine type. Rest assured PlanetSide 1 players... you’re top of the list in each phase.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2012, 11:25:49 PM

beta details in the latest producer letter.

External Beta will include primary rounds of entry for existing PlanetSide 1 players and additional External Beta registrants, including those who obtained Beta codes from the PC Gamer magazine cover feature. Playtests will be scheduled during this time to ensure the maximum testing of specific aspects of the game with ever increasing numbers of players. Your participation is extremely valuable to us and we’ll be balancing and revising base layouts based on your feedback. Again, we will be inviting as many of our existing PlanetSide 1 players as we can into the early phases of Beta determined by a number of different factors, including machine type. Rest assured PlanetSide 1 players... you’re top of the list in each phase.

I got the email today surveying me about my machine in reference to getting into beta.  I call it the 'you might be invited to beta' beta invite. Or the pre-invite non-invite teaser. If I had hair I'd pull some out.    saywhat
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »

The beta keys have been sent out to the PC Gamer subscribers, which is pretty cool.   ninja

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:03 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 25, 2012, 10:12:58 PM

The beta keys have been sent out to the PC Gamer subscribers, which is pretty cool.   ninja

I'm in.  The place is locked down and NDAs are in effect, but I suspect that won't last much longer.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 03:57:17 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 25, 2012, 10:12:58 PM

that happened weeks ago to some people  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »

NDA lifted, so start spilling.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

I only played for a few hours last weekend, but after all the "PC Game of E3/GamesCom/etc" talk I was really expecting something amazing and what I played didn't feel that way. 

I'll reserve final judgement until later, but to me it seemed to have some of the same issues as the first Planetside.  Namely that there is no satisfying end to combat, you just kind of realize that either your team now controls one section of the map and the conflict has moved to the hex next to you, or the enemy now controls it and you have to spawn somewhere else.  You just end up going back and forth and the outcome largely just depends on how many people your team has in the area of conflict.

The game also had the odd feeling of just having high res textures jammed into an old game.  I'm not sure how else to explain that.

Maybe with more time I will discover added depth that makes it really shine, but for now I'm not chomping at the bit to play again.  Maybe it's just not for me.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:45 PM »

The big draw is actually participation in absolutely huge battles as one part of a larger whole. It takes some time to get to, but once you get into an organized combined arms attack on a sector you see what Planetside has done that no other game really has done well.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »

They talk to PC Gamer about upcoming changes and trying to improve the game and feedback flow for new players.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

They're slowly handing out extra beta codes to those already in the beta, usually around major patches. Sadly, I can't offer any here since all my friends have dibs on my extra codes.

However, they can be easy to miss because the emails with codes in them look like generic advertisement emails, so if you're in the beta, check it out.

Right now it's difficult to get into the game due to them making it so that there's only 1 server for each region now, they upped the population limit on each server a great deal, but it's not quite high enough.

The benefit of this is that now that everyone is on the same server, it's very easy to get in on a well organized attack, just follow all those organized Outfits (guilds) that are rolling across the map. And wow, being a part of those battles is exactly what I wanted.

I love playing the support in those fights, mainly because I can kind of hang back and watch it unfold. Last night I was just a respawn and resupply Sunderer in a giant VS tank column rolling across the desert. Two other players had hopped in the AA turrets on the sunderer and were downing the large amount of air attack vehicles trying to stop us along the way. The combined AA fire of 20 secondary tank AA guns, along with 10 more on the top of sunderers supporting the column, meant that most light or medium attack aircraft didn't last long after showing up, and definitely couldn't stay around long enough to line up targets to rocket.

It wasn't until we got bogged down on a narrow pass, and another outfit had apparently figured if the could attack us with lighter air, and their tanks were getting blown up by out tanks, that they should use a large number of Liberator bombers to hit us from high altitude. They did, and followed up by fast armor, while we were disoriented.

Thankfully we had a column of mounted infantry behind us that stopped them cold. But it was an amazing sight to behold.

I think once the full game is released, I'm going to join a more organized group of players, something I haven't done in other games before.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »

I started playing this last night, only for about 30 minutes, and it was very fun. I have no idea what to do and why but it was fun still.

Is anyone else playing? I am of course playing on the EU servers right now, but it seems pretty easy to switch over.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »

I am, US West server.

I have both a VS and TR character.

I like the core infantry combat, which feels nice. All that's really left there is weapon and equipment tweaking, but otherwise it stands up to any modern shooter.

The tank combat is okay, it's nice to be part of a larger column. But I don't like how deliberately inaccurate tank fights are.

They're actually starting to add in a lot more meta game, as well as overall making the objectives and base capture mechanics more interesting.

In the last patch they made Aircraft usable again, before you started playing, AA had been incredibly powerful, to the point where 1-2 guys in an AA turret or dedicated AA MAX/Skyguard could clear the skies over a large area of anything flying. Now, it's balanced out a bit reasonably.

Right now, I think that on release the game is going to be a very fun shooter, but how they handle future updates to base capture mechanics and the whole metagame is going to determine how long it lasts.

I do know that the game just fills my need for both multiplayer FPS, and large scale combat games. Just being part of a giant battle to take a base just feels awesome, I sometimes just climb up to a vantage point, not even shooting, and just watch the fight unfold.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:58 AM »

Yeah, the night fights looks simply awesome - I've watched some videos of it.

My game is a bit blurry though for some reason, but I havent really messed around with the graphics yet though.

Do you know if there is a good guide on how the game works somewhere? Its a bit daunting, since its not just a shooter, but more about taking bases and the like.

I have no idea how one takes a base, or how I get xp for instance, other than shooting people or what supplies are.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 02:26:32 AM »

Here's the latest basics, they did make some very important changes that aren't as intuitive.

Capturing Bases:
Each base will have control nodes designated with alphabet letters (A, B, C...), these will be clearly marked on the map. If a control node is green, your faction controls it, if it is red the enemy controls it. If it is blinking, it is being captured or decaptured depending on who currently controls it.

To capture a node, you have to get within a small radius around the control point and stay there. When you get close enough, it will show up on your HUD through walls so you can see if it's above or below you. They recently tweaked the capture radius, so I think they take up entire rooms or buildings, but generally if you see the capture bar pop up, you're in the zone. The more people you have at a capture node, the faster it caps. Once you capture a node, someone will have to stay near it, otherwise it will decay the other side.

Once any node of a base is captured, it starts a tug of war system where you see two bars slowly filling in the lower left of the screen. One with your faction, one with the enemy. These bars will start filling up at different rates depending on the number of troops in the hex area, how many adjacent hexes are controlled by you, number of troops at control nodes, and number of control nodes captured. So basically, fight to capture control nodes, stay and defend them, and then kill off enemy troops to make sure you win the tug of war.

Bases have various systems that factor into its capture, but not all bases have the same systems or number of control points. The first are various shields and shield generators that block ground access to the base. A few bases have vehicle shields blocking the outer gates. These prevent any enemy vehicles from passing through. To knock these out, infantry have to go in and try to overload the generator(s) powering them. To overload a generator, find it by looking on the map for the icon that matches the icon on the shield, reach the generator, and hold the use key on it until a timer fills up. This starts a 45 second overload process, much like a Counter-strike demolition mission. The enemy then have to stop it the same way.

Another key target is the spawn unit, which stops the enemy from spawning if destroyed, pretty important at large bases. Again, just find the spawn control unit icon on the map. You might also need to destroy a shield generator protecting it. You blow it up just like any other generators.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 12:38:34 AM »

I was sent 5 planetside2 beta keys to give away if anyone is interested.  PM me and I will try to check this thread.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »

Just so everyone knows, Planetside goes live tomorrow (11/20).

I'll be playing on the US West servers on Terran Republic, but I will create some other characters.

Most likely I'll be kitting out a Liberator as a bomber, so I can always use some good gunners.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, 06:36:12 AM »

What?!  It completely fell off my radar that this was coming so soon.  It seems... brave of them to release during the holiday deluge.  I loved the first one but this just seems like a game better suited to a release around February, or early summer.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »

Hmm, probably a good idea to plan ahead like that Turtle, but I must admit, I have no idea what to play yet.

I liked the game enough to buy into the Alpha pack, so I'm so there, but I'll probably just spend the first few weeks doing grunt work.

I do like the idea of a single secret infiltrator taking bases, but with the new tug system to take over bases, you have to be in area without ANY other enemies.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »

Don't worry about server or faction. You can create a character for any faction on any server, even servers where you have a character for a different faction already.

Right now, I'm playing on Connery for the TR, this is mainly because of other friends. However, I moonlight as VS, which I played in the original.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »

Guys - You need to play this. Its probably the finest massive combat simulator out there right now, and while it has its quirks, its very very fun to play.

Hey, its even free to try out, so come on! Join an Empire and roll out in style in a Tank, or a Helicopter, or a Magrider, or run like the wind as infantry, and suit up in giant robot suits and pretend you are Robocop!

This is a really, really good looking game as well, and runs pretty well on my I5, 5850m 4Gb ram laptop as well.

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »

performance was unplayable during beta, has it changed much since then?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 24, 2012, 04:59:49 PM

performance was unplayable during beta, has it changed much since then?

I think its very individual - As I wrote, the game runs fine on my laptop which isn't very powerful, and yeah, lots of optimizations. But I also see a ton of people complaining about FPS drops on the forums. I'm just not hit by them myself.

Then again, the last 2 weeks of beta when I played, the game was fine for me as well, so results may vary.

Also- This is EXACTLY the kind of game you are usually very annoying in, so I thought you'd be there day one ;-)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

didn't have any issues in the beta other than not know what the hell was going on, but once I found people to start shooting things felt better.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »

I'm Vanu all the way FWIW
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »

Playing as Vanu on Jaeger.

I've discovered I do best on foot with light assault or infiltrator. I can get some kills as a tank, but I just fumble around and end up crashing when I try to fly a fighter aircraft. I've had pretty good performance so far. I didn't play in the beta but I keep reading from testers that it is a lot better now than it was a few weeks ago.

I love the scale of a major fight. Dozens of ground troops with at least half a dozen tanks supporting and fighters and transports roaring overhead, tracer fire, explosions, an enemy aircraft taking AA fire and pinwheeling to the earth. Base approaches are rather awesome. It does get grindy once the door/chokepoint battles kick in. I usually don't partake of the suicidal rushes, I head to the periphery and settle in watching approaches for reinforcements to snipe.

Totally suck at FPS though, so my K/D ratio is rather sad - about 0.88 right now.

Definitely fun for a couple hours at a time. And the price is right.  icon_smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »

Don't worry about your K/D - its not the least bit important. What IS important that you help out take objectives and contribute the good of the Vanu, which is the as for the good all!

Dont be afraid to take vehicles either - You arent stealing them from anyone since everyone gets their own vehicle points to dispose of all the time.  Its actually a pretty damn fine system, one that deftly avoids the old teamkillers that want your vehicle problem as well.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2012, 04:40:40 AM »

I can confirm to anyone that had performance issues during the beta that they have made great strides in performance.

Keep in mind, this is a pretty graphics intensive game with a lot of stuff on screen.

But using medium settings I went from pretty poor framerates to solid 50fps on my laptop, which is about a generation behind of mainstream gaming computers, and a mobile chipset at that.

I'm playing on Connery server, as Kepler for the Terran Republic.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2013, 02:10:43 AM »

Thoughts on how this has progressed? The review has convinced me to download this weekend.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2013, 05:33:23 AM »

I am not the most hardcore Planetside fan (1 or 2), but I think things have improved and are moving in the right direction with future plans.  I played for several hours last weekend and would have kept playing if I didn't have to stop to get dinner. 

There are still plenty of things that are hard to grasp as a new player (and even a not-so-new one), but I've taken to just asking for help figuring things out in game and trying to be patient.

Most of all I think I appreciate how open Sony has been with acknowledging current flaws, their potential solutions and reasoning behind some changes. 

I have yet to give them any money, though.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »

Wow, thoroughly confused after an hour. Seems like it could be fun once I know what I'm doing and I'll give it a bit more time, but not sure on it yet.

Most annoying I was about to capture an area when my teammate came in and killed me :-P
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »

Yeah, I think the learning curve and general obtuseness is the biggest thing going against this game.  I've played for for probably 15 hours and just figured out how the final base capture happens, which is embarrassing.  For some reason I had never looked at that tiny progress icon on the left.

I'm not much for watching/reading super lengthy tutorials, but I did find this document to be useful: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5CjgJ7NEzm8UTBzS0NtZGpUajg/view?sle=true&pli=1

I skipped the first stuff about classes and went to page 9, where it starts showing you the icons and things that had totally gone over my head when I was just playing.  Also note the thing about certifications: there are at least one for each class/vehicle that are only a single cert point, so you should go in and upgrade those as soon as possible.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »

Yesterday SOE just laid out the 6 month plan for improvements and additions to the game.  I'm looking forward to getting the big January updates this next week, I think they will help alleviate some of the big current annoyances.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »

SOE just released the big Update 2 which includes a ton of changes and improvements. 

Tons of balance tweaks and bug fixes, and in general they made defending bases easier and spawn camping harder and less worthwhile.  I was going to paste the list in a quote but it's just too damn big so follow the link you lazy buggers.  Tongue  A few of the more interesting ones to me:

• Client performance improvements
  • Client stability improvements
  • Each faction now has a submachine gun that is useable by all classes except the MAX.
  • Players now have the ability to customize empire colors on the HUD. The game will default to our "Enemy vs. Ally" color preset. The default colors can be changed from the General section in Settings.
  • Added tiered kill xp:
  • Killing a player who has been alive for less than 10 seconds and has not earned more than 5 xp will yield a diminished “Spawn Kill” xp reward of 25 xp
  • Killing a player who has been alive for more than 10 seconds, or earned more than 5 xp and less than 1000 xp will yield a normal “Kill” xp reward of 100 xp
  • Killing a player who has earned equal to or more than 1000 xp but less than 2000 xp will yield an enhanced “High Threat Kill” xp reward of 150 xp
  • Killing a player who has earned equal to or more than 2000 xp will yield an enhanced “Extreme Menace Kill” xp reward of 300 xp
  • Upgraded all spawn rooms to be more defensible. This should lead to less spawn camping.
  • Adjusted the tower to help reduce spawn camping.
  • Added Tunnels to the Amp Station and Tech plants. These tunnels are only accessibly by the defenders and emerge in key locations throughout the Facilities. This should lead to less spawn camping. (I see a theme)
  • At all Amp Stations and Saurva and Andvari, we added faction specific Jump Pads. Only the facility owners can use these jump pads. This should make getting around in these bases a little trickier for attackers, but not impact the defenders.
  • Warpgate ownership on all three continents were rotated.
  • Redesigned the Biolabs. There is better cover at the landing platforms which should lead to more interesting fights there.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:25 AM »

started playing this on Steam, and after a few games noticed a lot of people not actually leaving the main base to go out and fight.  in one game everyone was just either standing around on top of buildings or driving around the same area in vehicles while the other team was capturing stuff  saywhat

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2013, 05:00:25 AM

started playing this on Steam, and after a few games noticed a lot of people not actually leaving the main base to go out and fight.  in one game everyone was just either standing around on top of buildings or driving around the same area in vehicles while the other team was capturing stuff  saywhat

Think of it as an MMO - There will always be people just hanging around, doing nothing, and thousands of others running around gunning. Its not like other teambased shooters in that respect, since there are so many players per server.

By the way, what do you mean by, after a few games?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:47 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2013, 07:17:01 AM

By the way, what do you mean by, after a few games?

I meant sessions.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »

By main base, do you mean the warp gate?

That's just the fall back spawn area, people stage there, or just hang out. Most of the action and spawning happens at bases on the front. Just use Instant Action to jump into a fight, the algorithms behind that feature have been improving steadily since launch.

Later on, you can get a better idea of where the fighting is happening. In fact, almost every update to the game has included UI improvements to point you towards where the real fighting is.

There was just another patch that has also reworked how bases are connected, which should improve how often you get into proper fights.

So, don't stay at the warp gate, the only people that really stage there are Outfits.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2013, 01:48:58 AM »

My second night playing and my first night playing with a squad that I insta-joined {insert key}. They seemed pretty competent and were using voice comms, which is why I felt like such a loser when the majority of them left in a galaxy while I was busy trying to find out where the hell everyone was. I finally managed to find the "redeploy on squad leader" button, and I wish that button would stay on the map screen. But it seems like sometimes that button is there and sometimes it isn't.

So, after redeploying on the squad leader I kind of redeemed myself by reviving teammates and healing them and generally staying out of the way of others who were shooting up in the sky (we were trapped in a building and getting pounded on). I think our facility got captured so we fell back. I heard on voice comms that they were regrouping and were going to get into a galaxy again - but I'll be damned if I could tell where the heck my squad was on the map. I got lucky and guessed that they would be at the 'blahblah air point' (or something to that effect). Sure enough they were, but I'll be damned if I couldn't find a big transport ship - I didn't know whether it was on the ground outside or on the roof.

I could kind of guess what the squad symbols were (they kind of look like atari logo right?) so I tried to follow them, but reached a dead end. I heard "you coming bravo 2?" on the comms and realized he was probably talking to me (position 2 on bravo squad). I didn't want to embarass myself yet again so I logged off and tried to find some decent tutorials on "how to find your squad" and/or "where is the insta-button to redeploy to the squad leader?"

Great game, I just wish I didn't look so retarded to my squadmates.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: