http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 05:41:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plan Your Weekend Starting Now: Friday Night 10pm GoW MP  (Read 3134 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:37:43 AM »

I'm going to be going coop with Ike at around 8ish so 10pm should be a good time to multi.  I've had my first taste and I crave more.

I know we have multiple tag lists, but if you're interested, please post your tag here too.

I'm SensuousLettuce.

See you at 10ish...

<see updated post from 4/Dec/06 below>
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:03:24 PM by ATB » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 06:32:53 AM »

Who in the world thinks of a Gamertag like SensousLettuce? Dear god in heaven.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 01, 2006, 06:32:53 AM

Who in the world thinks of a Gamertag like SensousLettuce?

Jealous much?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:01:32 PM »

I'll play. I have played online with co-workers, but they let it be known that I suck. Bad. smile

Tag: LeeOO
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:23:06 PM »

I'm in.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:15:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 01, 2006, 02:00:41 PM

Quote from: Calvin on December 01, 2006, 06:32:53 AM

Who in the world thinks of a Gamertag like SensousLettuce?

Jealous much?

I'm thinking of changing my to HedonisticBroccoli myself..... 

or maybe LecherousPear.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 05:32:56 PM »

I am Xboxalot and would love to join in.  I tend to be the team curbstompee, so, don't expect much, but I really enjoy playing the game.

Anyone want to do some coop on insane tonight, tomorrow early, or tomorrow night, I will be playing and leaving it open for anyone here to join.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »

LanerGT - I'll be there!

Mike - I may take you up on some co-op... I'll have to check the schedule
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 05:53:37 PM »

Friday nights I have puppy obedience class with Simba from 7:30pm until about 9pm (Arizona time, which equates to 9:30pm Eastern until about 11pm Eastern).  After I get home I'd love to get in some more multiplayer goodness, so I hope to cross paths with many of you later tonight.  After last night's fun I'm again addicted to Gears of War's multiplayer gameplay.  

My friend Jeff (Snrub1) should be in tonight around 9 or 10 (11 or 12 eastern) and he's up for some multiplayer as well, and normally I wouldn't expect too many east-coasters to be up that late, but it's Friday night and I assume some might be willing to forego some of their beauty sleep for a few more chainsaw kills.

I'll keep an eye out when I get back from puppy school and see who's still around.

For those who don't already know, I'm PhillyPeteRock.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 06:00:58 PM »

I'll probably still be around, Pete... PST FTW.

gellar
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 06:03:47 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 01, 2006, 06:00:58 PM

gellar

Didn't have you on my Friends list, but that transgression has since been rectified. 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 06:08:39 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 01, 2006, 06:03:47 PM

gellar

Didn't have you on my Friends list, but that transgression has since been rectified. 

Word - also, dog obedience classes are fun.  I've got an 8 month old pup myself.

gellar
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 01, 2006, 06:08:39 PM

gellar

Word - also, dog obedience classes are fun.  I've got an 8 month old pup myself.

gellar

Hell yeah.  We've gone through puppy obedience class, beginner with the gentle leader, beginner again with the martin gale collar, and now intermediate.  Both I and Simba look forward to Friday nights.  I'll find out in the next few classes if he's ready for advanced (all off-leash), or if we'll need another pass through intermediate until Simba gets a little older and more mature (he's currently 11 months old and still as energetic as ever).  Many of our practice sessions at PetSmart and Lowe's have already been off-leash, but I still worry about his puppy exuberance and occasional unpredictability.  But for an 11-month-old puppy he has impressed even some of the toughest critics.

Perhaps a GT pet thread is in order (similar to the recent pet thread over at OO). 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 01, 2006, 06:12:21 PM

Quote from: gellar on December 01, 2006, 06:08:39 PM

gellar

gellar

Hell yeah.  We've gone through puppy obedience class, beginner with the gentle leader, beginner again with the martin gale collar, and now intermediate.  Both I and Simba look forward to Friday nights.  I'll find out in the next few classes if he's ready for advanced (all off-leash), or if we'll need another pass through intermediate until Simba gets a little older and more mature (he's currently 11 months old and still as energetic as ever).  Many of our practice sessions at PetSmart and Lowe's have already been off-leash, but I still worry about his puppy exuberance and occasional unpredictability.  But for an 11-month-old puppy he has impressed even some of the toughest critics.

Perhaps a GT pet thread is in order (similar to the recent pet thread over at OO). 

Yeah we did Beginner and Intermediate, which were lifesavers.  I can't imagine not having done it.  After that, our trainer went to agility courses and since Bacon is a bulldog, we figured that was as far as we went.  We've been doing training on our own since then, mostly off leash.  I have zero problem putting him off-leash in a safe environment, but those are unfortunately few and far between.

We do take him to playgroups every weekend, which is a great way to a) let him play, and b) practice having him listen to my commands in a very stimulating environment.

gellar
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 07:01:45 PM »

Well I guess I'll read up on how to host and I guess the first 7 in will be the teams...

I'm running my 360 over Cable Internet....is that suitable or should someone with some kind of faster rig host it?

Advice, tips appreciated...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 07:21:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 01, 2006, 07:01:45 PM

Well I guess I'll read up on how to host and I guess the first 7 in will be the teams...

I'm running my 360 over Cable Internet....is that suitable or should someone with some kind of faster rig host it?

Hosting seems to be hit or miss.  One night papasmurf was hosting a game and others were unable to join.  We then switched over to me hosting the game and had no problem.  Fast forward to last night and CeeKay was unable to join no matter who was hosting.  I have cable internet as well and have had no problems other than the occasional issue with someone joining a game.  Sometimes people with wireless have more issues than those of us hard-wired into the Matrix. 

To set up a game you will go into "Versus" and I typically choose "Host Private Match", which limits participants to invites only.  When setting up the game I leave everything as default (Warzone game type, three-game rounds with 5-minute time limits, default weapons, and "Random" level selection - or a similar term - so that we aren't forced to play the same level over and over again).  Once you set up a game you can begin sending out invites by pressing the guide button, choosing Friends, and pressing "X" to invite to the game.  And others that have joined your game should also be able to send out Friend invites in case you're short-handed.

Keep in mind that once you set up the game parameters, you're stuck playing with those parameters unless you exit everyone out and start the process all over again.  So if you'd like to try out the Resurrection or Assassination game modes, you have to set up an entirely new game.  And if you select a specific map, you're stuck playing said map until eternity, or until you exit out and choose a different map (which is why I choose the random map generation so that each game is played on a new map). 

Any other questions? 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 01, 2006, 07:21:58 PM

Quote from: ATB on December 01, 2006, 07:01:45 PM

Hosting seems to be hit or miss.  One night papasmurf was hosting a game and others were unable to join.  We then switched over to me hosting the game and had no problem.  Fast forward to last night and CeeKay was unable to join no matter who was hosting.  I have cable internet as well and have had no problems other than the occasional issue with someone joining a game.  Sometimes people with wireless have more issues than those of us hard-wired into the Matrix. 

To set up a game you will go into "Versus" and I typically choose "Host Private Match", which limits participants to invites only.  When setting up the game I leave everything as default (Warzone game type, three-game rounds with 5-minute time limits, default weapons, and "Random" level selection - or a similar term - so that we aren't forced to play the same level over and over again).  Once you set up a game you can begin sending out invites by pressing the guide button, choosing Friends, and pressing "X" to invite to the game.  And others that have joined your game should also be able to send out Friend invites in case you're short-handed.

Keep in mind that once you set up the game parameters, you're stuck playing with those parameters unless you exit everyone out and start the process all over again.  So if you'd like to try out the Resurrection or Assassination game modes, you have to set up an entirely new game.  And if you select a specific map, you're stuck playing said map until eternity, or until you exit out and choose a different map (which is why I choose the random map generation so that each game is played on a new map). 

Any other questions? 

Papa and Jarrod seem to have issues with a few people connecting to them, so dont be shocked about that...as for the game modes-most people don't love assasination, as the leader can get to be leader often by accident, be totally clueless, and lose the match for your team in about 30 seconds. I am getting dreadfully bored of both warzone and execution, but execution is a pleasant diversion from Warzone for me. I love, love the MP-I just wish we had some more options.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 05:34:58 AM »

Was a long day, and night, so I wasn't on. Open to a newb game anytime you see me online though.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 06:39:53 AM »

This game needs a 4 on 4 soccer match with a locust head or something.  You would move the ball by 'kicking' it or by shooting it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 02:01:55 PM »

Well gang, I enjoyed that thoroughly.  I was Xboxalot in case you don't remember me-the one dying first every round.    I pretty much suck at multi of any kind as I never do it much.  So, if you are wanting an actual asset to your team, well, look further.  Gotta say that was the first time I enjoyed a session of multi in about 2 years.  Sorry 'bout leaving so abruptly, but I got booted in the middle of one round and no getting back, so, I just hit the sack.

Hope to do it again soon.  Thanks for the invite.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 03:46:07 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on December 02, 2006, 02:01:55 PM

Well gang, I enjoyed that thoroughly.  I was Xboxalot in case you don't remember me-the one dying first every round.    I pretty much suck at multi of any kind as I never do it much.  So, if you are wanting an actual asset to your team, well, look further.  Gotta say that was the first time I enjoyed a session of multi in about 2 years.  Sorry 'bout leaving so abruptly, but I got booted in the middle of one round and no getting back, so, I just hit the sack.

Hope to do it again soon.  Thanks for the invite.

Oh cool!  Add me to your tag list Mike. smile  Glad to have you aboard last night!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 04:09:59 PM »

Yargh... fell asleep last night.  Sorry all.

gellar
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 02, 2006, 04:09:59 PM

gellar

Yeah we were looking for you....next time.

It was totally awesome.
Kaigen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 06:04:59 PM »

It was. I was totally kickin' ass until Harkonis came on and cursed my magic goggles.

End of line.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 07:05:31 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 02, 2006, 06:39:53 AM

This game needs a 4 on 4 soccer match with a locust head or something.  You would move the ball by 'kicking' it or by shooting it.

How about one of those geobots?   There are a few of them lying around on the ground in the SP game.  And yeah, you can kick them.

I had fun last night.  I realize I was mostly just fodder for Pete.  Probably why he sent me that invite after I said good night.  He seemed to enjoy finding different ways to kill me.  I did catch him once unawares on clocktower.  The highlight of my night when I chainsawed him.   

Pete...you are the Nebraska to my CU, the Wings to my Avs.

ATB,  you aren't so noob as you let on.  Watching you and Pete in the cat and mouse games was entertaining to say the least.

- shaggy

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:29 PM »

Would've joined in last night, but moriarty was playing co-op split-screen with a friend.  Then it was time for bed. 

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kaigen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »

For being as "noob" as he was ATB did pretty damn well. Pete was just fucking lethal with that shotgun though.

End of line.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 07:47:26 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on December 02, 2006, 07:05:31 PM

ATB,  you aren't so noob as you let on.  Watching you and Pete in the cat and mouse games was entertaining to say the least.

Well that was only my second time playing it MP...so I considere that pretty noobish.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 08:12:12 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 02, 2006, 04:09:59 PM

gellar

Yeah.  Shame, that.

Anyone have any idea what the deal is with the crazy voicechat echo?  Occasionally ATB sounded like the Voice of God.  Hmm...

Wish I could play tonight.  Date night and don't think I will be allowed.  Send me an invite if you see me on though.

Also, what happens if you send an invite to someone who's playing a different game.  Can that person still join (assuming that person puts the correct disk in, of course)?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 08:15:32 PM »

My thoughts taken from the other thread in Console Gaming:

Quote from: ATB on December 02, 2006, 12:59:02 PM

I had one of my all time great gaming moments to end the evening:

Game was set to whomever gets 5 wins wins the match (much better than the default 3 btw).  We are in teams of 3 and our strategy had been working almost perfectly for the previous 4 or so rounds...a team of two goes high and I maintain rearguard.  Pete got a nice shotgun blast to the face to finish him from yours truly at least 3 times in a row using this strategy. (By the way, right now, in my two nights of experience, Pete is my number one rival. Some AMAZING 1 on 1 duels <where he usually wins>. Also, he's amazing when he's outnumbered).

Anyway, the otherside decided enough of this and bull rushed my two teammates and down they go.

I'm all on my lonesome, 1 on 3 with the match on the line.  Time to head outside or I'm dead. I take cover behind some broken walls in a kind of out of the way place.  Soon, Pete comes to find me.  He misses my cover point so I sneak behind him KA-BOOM. KA-BOOM. KA-BOOM.  Down he goes.

Back to cover.

Next guy comes out from the same direction with nearly the same result.

Final guy comes out from the other side with the sniper rifle equipped.  BAM he tags me in the shoulder.  I grab cover and heal up.  I move to catch him on the right flank.  Meantime he's moving to catch me on my left.  We meet in the middle, him still with the sniper rifle equipped.  KA BOOM KA BOOM KABOOM. Down he goes. I alone am left standing.  HUZZAH!

2:40 AM time for bed.

WOW.

I had a few memorable highlights last night as well.  I recall one round of matches when we were down 4-0, and were able to regroup, develop a better strategy, and wound up coming out on top 5-4.  One of the most memorable come-backs I've ever experienced in video game history.

And like ATB, I, too, found myself in a 3-on-1 scenerio more often than I would have preferred, but there were times when I was able to somehow pull out a win by utilizing Locust agility and pinpoint accuracy (translation: ridiculous good luck).  During one round when I was facing overwhelming odds, I managed to score a headshot on one of my unsuspecting enemies with the sniper rifle, and the other two were introduced to my shotgun shortly thereafter.

But when it comes to rivalries, I would say any of the ATB/PeteRock cat-and-mouse matches would certainly qualify.  Anytime the two of us were left standing, you were almost sure to have a match practically run down to the final few seconds as we hunted each other like dogs, developing strategies on the run, and attempting to counter strategies obviously being employed by the prey.  I did manage to prevail on a number of matches, but there were certainly times when ATB's chainsaw definitely got the better of me.  Fortunately the chainsaw makes a clean cut, so there was always plenty of the better of me to go around once he was finished.

This is potentially the only game I've played that brings out such an uncontrollable burst of emotion.  If I'm caught off guard and either sniped or chainsawed early in the match, I find myself shaking the controller and stomping my feet while screaming right along with my dying Locust video game persona.  Or if a game comes down to a tense showdown, such as the one-on-one cat-and-mouse scenerios, I find my pulse quickening, my breathing becoming shorter and faster, my stomach getting a little uneasy, and a noticable sense of tension as I know that my team's fate lies in my hands (as well as my character's life

Whenever I was on a team that was willing to employ strategy, we would have a wonderful series of rounds (up until our enemies would catch on), and it was great fun communicating, working together, and playing as a true team.  I love the team dynamic, and in a game like this if you try to fight alone, you usually wind up dying alone.  It was a night of great fun, and as always I'm looking forward to the next time we all can play together again.

It seems that ATB and I are developing quite the friendly rivalry, and I would love to see this continue.  It's nice to be able to accept differing viewpoints on topics such as religion, science, and evolution, but still be able to put all of that aside and get together for a nice, competitive game amongst friends.  You know, I never thought the day would come that I would utter such a phrase, but I think there is potential for ATB and I to become reasonable online friends.  The friendly rivalry is already there.

Thanks ATB for yet another night of exciting gameplay, riveting competition, and friendly rivalry.  We shall meet again, and I have already begun engraving your gamertag into my shotgun shells in anticipation of our next battle.  icon_twisted

And thanks to the rest of you as well who made an entertaining night of gaming even more fun.  The action was frantic, the competition tense, and the over all experience as visceral as it can get.  Until we all meet again on the battlefield.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 09:36:08 PM »

It was fun but I sucked. Awful, awful, awful.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 11:51:09 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 02, 2006, 09:36:08 PM

It was fun but I sucked. Awful, awful, awful.

You're way too hard on yourself.
Kaigen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2006, 12:47:29 AM »

In our defense, in that 5-4 comeback match, in the tiemaker round a lot of us had major connection errors. When my connection came back dead, so I never had a chance to defend myself.

End of line.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »

10 PM EST December 8th. Who's in?

Of course we can play throughout the week too smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »

I am going to a DeVotchKa concert Friday night, so I will not be able to attend.  Have fun!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 05:14:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 04, 2006, 05:03:53 PM

10 PM EST December 8th. Who's in?

Of course we can play throughout the week too smile

Start a new thread for those who may have tuned this one out.

I'm in.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: