http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:20:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea open stress test  (Read 15215 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 06, 2008, 05:08:05 AM

So if I'm using a merchant ship and I team up on one of these instances, do I contribute by catapulting crates of spices? Maybe Rum? 

Heh...a couple of nights ago, another society member and I (both in the mid-20s) were raiding merchants around Tortuga, when we caught a solo level 44 merchant cruising by. "Let's get that thing" I decided, and we chased it down...let me say that that Indiaman vessel was damn near a warship and just about trashed us both.  eek

This thing here:

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on February 06, 2008, 12:06:43 AM

Quote from: SkyLander on February 05, 2008, 07:24:44 PM

I'm liking the game, I can see getting into it more as I progress. Trying to save up for a hermes packet boat after losing my spiffy bermuda sloop. Couple more levels and I should be there. And whoever said it was right, you level up by killing pirates in the open see then come back into town and just burn through the missions to get all the money. Seems to have worked well.

Mediator Cutter sir.

I am now Mediator Cuttered sir. Per your recomendation and it is a great little ship. Got it for 13500 too.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2008, 08:06:05 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on February 07, 2008, 06:17:46 PM

Quote from: SuperHiro on February 06, 2008, 12:06:43 AM

Quote from: SkyLander on February 05, 2008, 07:24:44 PM

I'm liking the game, I can see getting into it more as I progress. Trying to save up for a hermes packet boat after losing my spiffy bermuda sloop. Couple more levels and I should be there. And whoever said it was right, you level up by killing pirates in the open see then come back into town and just burn through the missions to get all the money. Seems to have worked well.

Mediator Cutter sir.

I am now Mediator Cuttered sir. Per your recomendation and it is a great little ship. Got it for 13500 too.
got mine for free slywink ARRRR! Die!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »

IGN has a pretty enthusiastic review up:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/851/851596p2.html
Pirates of the Burning Sea is the perfect antidote to the proliferation of traditional MMOs. If you've already grown sick of elves and hot bars, Pirates will definitely offer up something you haven't quite seen before. It's highly original and it takes a lot of chances that pay off handsomely. The real time ship combat is awesome in its tactical complexity and the player economy is deeper than we've seen in just about any other game. Unfortunately, the sword combat feels tacked-on and really cramps our swashbuckling groove.

With all that said, Pirates is one of those games that is likely to discourage gamers early on. And that's a real shame, because it's precisely the type of game that gets better the more you play it.
Like most reviews so far, they have some concerns about lack of tutorials/explanations, the avatar combat portion, UI etc. and worry a lot of folks who try it won't stick around long enough to appreciate its better qualities.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2008, 03:07:15 PM »

Despite the problems I had with the game in beta, I love that the game isn't just the same old MMO we've seen rehashed a hundred times.  I hope it at least does well enough to encourage more developers to break out of the mold.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2008, 03:44:48 PM »

I'm probably out of Pirates.  I haven't fired it up in over a week, and the last couple of times I did fire it up I didn't even get out of the port I'm currently in.  I hate the boarding combat system, so ship to ship combat usually involves me blasting a ship until it's crew abandons ship, and I'm guessing you get less loot that way as usually I find nothing but a couple of items.  I may give it one final shot this weekend but it looks like after my free month is up I'll be scuttling the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2008, 10:52:10 PM »

Massively.com mentioned press release about Pirates' first major content update:
http://www.massively.com/2008/03/18/pirates-of-the-burning-sea-gets-its-first-major-content-patch/
Build 1.2.67 goes live on Tuesday, March 18th

(Seattle, WA) March 17th, 2008 On Tuesday, March 18, 2008, Flying Lab Software will release the first major content patch for Pirates of the Burning Sea, the MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) featuring high seas action and adventure in a world of pirates and plunder.

A few highlights of the changes in the build will include:

Bey's Retreat - The new mission for experienced players of Pirates of the Burning Sea. Don't try this alone.

Underdog Tools - If a player's nation wins the map in PvP, it becomes more difficult for them to do so next time. While the other nations get a boost.

UI improvements - Revamped the chat channels, added chat bubbles that you can turn off, improved the Social UI, and other user interface changes.

In addition to updating Pirates of the Burning Sea with a major content patch, Flying Lab Software has also spruced up the Development forums on their website (www.burningsea.com/forums) with additional discussion areas that focus on player ideas and allow players to weigh in on future changes to the game. Here are the new forum areas:

Community Suggestions - A place for community to discuss, collaborate on and refine new and interesting ideas for Pirates of the Burning Sea.

In Concept - All of the threads in this forum area will be either created by Flying Lab Software based on ideas from the Community Suggestions area, or new game features that are currently under review by the Pirates of the Burning Sea development team for inclusion in the game world.

Milestone Discussion This forum area not only gives players a look into the future of Pirates of the Burning Sea, but gives them a chance to weigh in on the changes to come.

Testbed Discussion This forum area is devoted to discussing the Milestones that have been published to the test server, known as Testbed. This is the last stop on the journey before the combined ideas from the players and the developers become reality on the live game servers.
Assuming I cancel Tabula Rasa in mid-April, I'll probably finally open this and try it then. I had wanted to wait for at least one major update before I tried it.

Playing
PC
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »

Anyone have a buddy key they'd be willing to part with?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 25, 2008, 06:33:46 AM

Anyone have a buddy key they'd be willing to part with?

PM on it's way to you.
Kyoujin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »

As scary as the proposition is, this looks like it actually might be worth picking up.  Any chance someone could spare a buddy code to give me a chance to check it out?  I've been mostly sworn off of the MMO genre as it feels like it just sort of stagnated in the post-wow world. 

I'm hopeful that at least the economy aspect will facilitate something different.
-K
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:37 PM »

I gave mine to El-Producto some time ago. Hope he got some enjoyment out of it.  icon_smile

I canceled my Gamefly membership yesterday. I think I'm probably still on target to cancel TR in early-mid April, and then I'll probably be game to finally boot this up. I kind of have a 2 MMOs At the Same Time Rule (COH being the other).  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

If anyone wants, I'm rocking on Antigua as French in a rather active Society. We are working on getting the first 1st Rate on the server at the moment. I'm 28 at the moment so I can help out and give tips to new guys that are playing. And the society itself is also very helpful.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2008, 06:35:58 PM »

Just pick this up after trading in some old console games.

Any folks still pillaging? 

morlac00 on PSN
Kraftvoll
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2008, 08:54:40 PM »

OK, been following these forums for a while now, but I do so on my cellphone. So not much of a poster. Anyway, this game has intrigued me lately and I was wondering if anyone on these boards had any spare buddy keys so I can give it a shot? The fiance is getting fed up with me buying games when they come out and quiting after the first month or so.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »

Pm w/ key sent.  thumbsup

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:53 PM »

I saw this marked 'Clearance' at Target for $24.99 today.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »

I got for $40.00 at EB but I traded in mostly junk for it smile.

Made a pirate on Morgan and some Frenchie on Antigua.  Will give it a good go today.  Hope some of you are still playing.  I gets lonely on the open sea...

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »

They just announced plans to close 7 of the 11 servers, consolidating players onto 4 in hopes of having a larger player population on each. Can you hear the cries of "DOOOMMM!!!" and "Auto Assault!" yet?  paranoid

Pirates of the Burning Sea Shutters 7 Servers
http://www.burningsea.com/page/news/article&article_id=10753
When Pirates of the Burning Sea launched on January 22nd, we introduced our customers to 11 new game servers. Through feedback from our players and evaluation of our server populations, it has become clear that key game features require populations of higher density in order to function at optimum levels. When you take into account both the disparity in player time zones and the delayed launch of our title in some countries, we were spreading our overall population too thin. Also, in more recent builds, we were able to improve our server technology to allow for an even larger population than we were originally equipped to handle.

Providing our customers with the best game play experience is our first priority. Condensing our populations will lead to a richer, more vibrant game play experience for all involved, and our customers whole-heartedly agree.
The remaining servers are Roberts, Blackbeard, Rackham and Antigua. [better transfer that pirate, Morlac  icon_biggrin).

I think maybe this weekend I will finally plunge in [I'll post name/server stuff here if I do, fwiw]. The latest update seemed to address some UI complaints I'd read about, and the next couple are supposedly going to try to breathe some life into the avatar combat (generally seen as the weakest part of the game), among other things.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:54:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2008, 06:43:30 PM »

I didn't even make it through the whole free month.  the game was just a bit too much on the whole upkeep side for my tastes-  having to buy all your ammo, the warehouse related stuff.

Because I can,
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »

They just announced plans to close 7 of the 11 servers, consolidating players onto 4 in hopes of having a larger player population on each. Can you hear the cries of "DOOOMMM!!!" and "Auto Assault!" yet?

I really hope they'll stay around, even though I don't play it anymore. We need some non-fantasy MMO's out there to show that fantasy is not the only feasible environment for an MMO.

As for the merge, it was needed even during the first month after release, I think they just now came up with the functionality to do it. I remember seeing only 50 people playing on Pirate side on Friday evening, which is a ridiculous number coinsidering the scale of the game.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2008, 07:53:11 PM »

I'm still playing this game.  I joined a French society on Rackham and it's been pretty cool so far.  I moved my Pirate from Morgan over to Roberts but I haven't played him in a long time though.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »

Update :
Rerolled my pirates to Rackham.  Tokek , look out for Diego Guapo he's a mean sob.  Game is getting better the more I play.  I have not even messed with economy stuff.  Just questing and pillaging  booty atm.
I haven't played with my original French navy guy on Antigua past level 5 but am interested in seeing how different he plays.  However, the allure of pillaging booty is strong so it might be awhile.

Blackjack, you get in game yet?  I got a buddy playing with me and we can always  use a third (cannon fodder).  icon_cool
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:14:03 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »

Diego Guapo huh?  Mine is Georges Guynemer and my society is Nouvelle-France
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on April 29, 2008, 01:26:55 AM

Diego Guapo huh?  Mine is Georges Guynemer and my society is Nouvelle-France

Pistols at dawn!  Yar!

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 21, 2008, 06:09:10 PM

Blackjack, you get in game yet?  I got a buddy playing with me and we can always  use a third (cannon fodder).  icon_cool
Belatedly, no, not yet. My POTBS box is still 3 inches left of my keyboard here, and I use it to put plates on.  icon_razz

After my Cleveland biz trip (I'll be back May 22), I hope to finally get a rest and have some time to either get into this, or get into Age of Conan. The latter's Fileplanet beta experience didn't quite "shake my world" as I hoped, so it's not quite as easy a decision as it sounded.

I still kind of feel like I want to wait for one more major update on this before I enter (I've read about the avatar combat finally getting a badly needed upgrade, for example, though I'm not sure it's plannned for the next update or a later one).

Playing
PC
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2008, 04:52:06 AM »

When Avatar combat gets its upgrade, make sure someone posts about it here.  I might just try it.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2008, 04:54:09 AM »

Just picked up the game today.  Haven't installed yet.  May not for a while, but...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: